Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
frenchtoast

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

11 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

For the sake of the third-generation Duggarlings, I hope that the second-generation Duggarlings have as clear-eyed a view of the future as people around here have. 

I sometimes wonder how seriously any of them consider their future possibilities and options. 

It's the third generation that will bring the most change to the Duggar brand. It's always the third generation that takes a look around, says no thank you and rebels. 

• Like 15

I noticed during the Christmas musical that they're in a new place and from a wider eye, saw more than 25 people. I wonder how many people Jinger's fame brought through the turnstiles? 

• Like 4

Maybe the reason Jeremy manages to spend so many Sundays away from his church is that his higher ups have noticed what a dismal speaker he is, and have been gently encouraging him to 'help' guest preachers by letting them lead the service.

• Like 13

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 5:15 PM, OpieTaylor said:

This really galls me for some reason - they’ve been to San Antonio at least a couple of times before. They just spent time in Philly. So WHY did they choose another vacation this weekend???

I'm guessing it was another grift, er gift from a friend.

• Like 9

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 9:01 PM, PikaScrewChu said:

Someone was posting a while back about how we all thought that JB would never marry off the J'Slaves and Joy. I truly thought that too. I think what they have as a set up is almost worse because we know most of the children are going to be heavily reliant on JB and Michelle for $$$ once the TV money finally dries up. Now Derick and Jeremy could go out and get actual jobs, but neither seems like job type people. We don't know about Ben but he was heavily groomed to be at TLC's beck and call at such a young age that it may be hard for him to find actual employment when it comes down to the wire.

The daughter-in-laws so far seem to be from families looking to get rid of another mouth to feed. I wouldn't be surprised to see some of Kendra or Lauren's sisters married off to the twins and Jason in short order.

But unlike Jingle and Babe with their designer clothing and constant vacationing, Ben and Jessa seem to actually live within their means.  I feel like they have a good chance of surviving off of a Ben paycheck.

• Like 16

1 hour ago, RedheadZombie said:

But unlike Jingle and Babe with their designer clothing and constant vacationing, Ben and Jessa seem to actually live within their means.  I feel like they have a good chance of surviving off of a Ben paycheck.

Fair point. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, RedheadZombie said:

If he gets a job now. Supporting a family on one minimum wage paycheck is very difficult.

• Like 11

On 12/31/2018 at 11:45 PM, Sew Sumi said:

I noticed during the Christmas musical that they're in a new place and from a wider eye, saw more than 25 people. I wonder how many people Jinger's fame brought through the turnstiles? 

The church website now lists a new address. They've moved out of the house and into a commercial-type building. 

The Duggar draw must be working....Because nobody's going for those sermons ... 

Either that or the "pregnancy help center" they share the building with is getting more traffic these days -- or whoever is paying for it (Grace Community Church San Antonio, I would think) figured out that the old location was bringing nobody in. I don't think I've ever seen another of those centers in a place that looked so residential as the old church/house. The ones I've seen tend to be in small  commercial areas with parking lots, and that's what they've got now. I expect that would increase traffic by a lot. 

EMLTA; Seem to be quite a few changes on the church website. ... Here's a page with sermons (although a lot of them seem to be talks, not sermons) of which only a few are by Jer, several people appear and a guy named Josh Buice has by far the most talks put up there. At least some of these begin with Jer asking Josh a question and Josh (who is at some Baptist church -- that doesn't mention anything Calvinist in its name, though I'd think it must have something....)

Things have changed a lot recently, it would seem. The website has a whole different flavor.... Looks like maybe the San Antonio church decided to make the whole enterprise -- both the pregnancy center and the church -- more professional and upscale-and larger-looking or something....That could be in response to pulling in more members or in not pulling in as many as you'd like so trying another strategy, I guess.  https://www.gcclaredo.com/sermons/

EELTA:  Okay, Josh Buice does use the Calvinist code word "grace" in some of his stuff. And now I really get the connection. He's hot and heavy as a member of the anti-social-justice coalition that created the letter Jer signed and promoted.....

And he's really really big on "'complementarian" roles for women and men.... AKA, Get Out of the Pulpit, You Uppity Women...and Also Stop Complaining That You've Been Oppressed (And Everybody Else Who Speaks of Oppression (POC, I'm Looking At You) Should Shut Up Too Because That's Ungodly)....Traditional Male Headship FTW!

http://www.deliveredbygrace.com/the-rise-in-women-preachers-and-what-you-should-know/

He's a hero of Jer's, clearly. And it's now quite clear that Jer's signing of the anti-social-justice letter was no casual act but quite central to his views. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Like 23

7 minutes ago, magpye29 said:

All right, JinJer, I'm ready for some cute new photos of Felicity!

I’d much rather see pictures of that little one! Sadly, I just had the zolt  of insight that this is no different than what JB and Bitchelle did: whoring out their cute kids for attention and PR. We may be part of the problem by giving them attention.

• Like 24

40 minutes ago, Catfin said:

I’d much rather see pictures of that little one! Sadly, I just had the zolt  of insight that this is no different than what JB and Bitchelle did: whoring out their cute kids for attention and PR. We may be part of the problem by giving them attention.

I don't know.  They are posting like all parents in their age bracket with just one kid.   At least they are only posting cute pictures and not constantly blogging about every disgusting little detail about Felicity like some parents.  

• Like 10

Reading through the church’s statement of faith, I can tell that church is 100% Calvinist. They’ve got all five letters of CalvIn’s TULIP embedded in their page:

https://www.gcclaredo.com/our-mission/

And here’s the background information on the TULIP for comparison:

https://www.calvinistcorner.com/tulip.htm

The Puritans were Calvinists by the way, but your more progressive Christian churches today subscribe more to Arminianism. https://www.thoughtco.com/calvinism-vs-arminianism-700526

In short, Jeremy believes he is one of God’s “elect” so he really does think he was chosen by God. 

• Like 11

14 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I personally hope he never becomes a better speaker.  The only people who would be impressed enough by Jeremy's preaching at this point to consider converting would be asshatted twits with the same self righteous sense of importance that Jeremy exhibits.

Amen! Regardless of how most of us see Jeremy, to millennial Christians, he looks extremely successful and competent. If the school he is getting his master's degree from manages to polish up his preaching and teach him how to fake charm and charisma, he is going to reach his (perceived) goal of heading a megachurch. 

I don't think Jeremy's pride would let him allow him to use his parents for support, and his obvious disdain for his inlaws will keep him from moving into the TTH under Jim Bob's authority. If he can't make it as a preacher, he'll find another field that will support him and his family. He's the most wordly of the inlaws and has a wide range of contacts. There is no way he, Jinger, and their children will be living on a stink bus, surviving on love offerings and potluck dinners.  When the TLC money train stops, I foresee him moving into a gated community with strict instructions to keep anyone named Duggar or married to a Duggar from gaining entrance.

• Like 16

41 minutes ago, Nysha said:

Amen! Regardless of how most of us see Jeremy, to millennial Christians, he looks extremely successful and competent. If the school he is getting his master's degree from manages to polish up his preaching and teach him how to fake charm and charisma, he is going to reach his (perceived) goal of heading a megachurch. 

I don't think Jeremy's pride would let him allow him to use his parents for support, and his obvious disdain for his inlaws will keep him from moving into the TTH under Jim Bob's authority. If he can't make it as a preacher, he'll find another field that will support him and his family. He's the most wordly of the inlaws and has a wide range of contacts. There is no way he, Jinger, and their children will be living on a stink bus, surviving on love offerings and potluck dinners.  When the TLC money train stops, I foresee him moving into a gated community with strict instructions to keep anyone named Duggar or married to a Duggar from gaining entrance.

lol

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

There just aren't enough pulpits to go around, either. Evangelical Christianity is contracting, not growing. A young man who wants to step into Joel Olesteen's shoes needs more charisma than Jeremy, or Ben, or Derick. It may be the culture that surrounds them leads them to believe that EVERYONE is an evangelical Christian, and there is an endless need for more preachers. This lack of exposure to actual facts may also explain why Derick thinks law school is a good investment even though there is already a glut of young lawyers.

True. The time to get a foot in the door of Big Time Evangelical Celebrity Preachers was about twenty years ago. That ship has clearly sailed.

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

I just don't see how this will work out for him. If he wants to be a pastor of a mega-church, then he needs to preach the prosperity gospel -- that gets bodies into seats. People want to hear that God loves them and wants them to have a McMansion and a boat, not that God hates them and has already condemned them to hell. All of Jeremy's lifestyle suggests that he wants to preach the prosperity gospel, too -- look, God loves me so much that I have a nice house, and nice clothes, and travel all the time, and almost never work!

There just aren't enough pulpits to go around, either. Evangelical Christianity is contracting, not growing. A young man who wants to step into Joel Olesteen's shoes needs more charisma than Jeremy, or Ben, or Derick. It may be the culture that surrounds them leads them to believe that EVERYONE is an evangelical Christian, and there is an endless need for more preachers. This lack of exposure to actual facts may also explain why Derick thinks law school is a good investment even though there is already a glut of young lawyers.

^^^ This. While it is absolutely true that their churches are now shrinking, that's not what some of the most influential people in the movement are focusing on at all. Instead, they're focusing on what they envision as a strengthening influence -- even if the numbers may be waning a bit. 

I think they're very much encouraged to think that their faith is still a growing movement -- and that while it has many potent enemies and while some weak-souled apostates are leaving the pews or embracing heresies like a "social justice" Christianity,  the conservative church is actually now gathering steam to fight back strongly against those enemies and win.... There are a lot of people in their orbit -- and in Jer's especially -- predicting a big new revival movement in America. And on the law end, there are also a lot of people saying that conservative Protestants are finally getting a strong foothold in public life so they can promote their agenda as never before.

It's an integral part of their belief to think the big battle is coming, probably coming soon, and that Jesus more or less promises them that they'll win. So they basically have to believe those things, I think. And it all implies that soldiers are badly needed on both the church front and the legal/political front -- and so they're signing up for the big battle in various ways. 

To feel you're part of such a huge and universally important mission has to give you a big self-esteem boost, I think. And we know how insecure Der is, while the hat collection and carefully manicured photographs, especially the ones with theological reading matter, suggest to me that Jer is probably pretty insecure is well. I know they're hearing all this stuff, because I've heard it a lot over the past few years in research I've done, and I can definitely see the deep attraction it must have for them....

Having a vision like that makes it really easy to ignore mere numbers, I think. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Like 11

5 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I don't know.  They are posting like all parents in their age bracket with just one kid.   At least they are only posting cute pictures and not constantly blogging about every disgusting little detail about Felicity like some parents.  

But they're not posting them merely for family and friends.  They're posting them for the public, the fans, and the entire world to coo at. And then using to hide some shady beliefs. 

• Like 8

On 12/31/2018 at 4:37 PM, Churchhoney said:

Yeah, I agree. That -- plus the fact that all three kids chose money-isn't-that-vital fields, i.e., arts and theology -- makes me wonder whether there might be a decent family inheritance on one or even both sides of the family.........

Depending on the situation of people in the age bracket of Chuck's and Diana's parents, they wouldn't even need to have been real moguls to accumulate a fair chunk of change to pass on, especially if they had a fairly small number of kids. 

A lot of frugal, hard-working, competent or even mainly lucky people of that generation were able to accumulate a decent amount of money because of the way the markets and the American economy rose over their lifetimes, the availability of well-paid union jobs, the general frugality a lot of them had, and so on. Maybe two or even all four grandparents were decently fixed because of real wealth or because of factors like that. 

This has ALWAYS been my theory!!! Jeremy to me doesn't seem like new money. I get a strong, STRONG vibe that he is used to shopping at brooks brothers, and has never set foot inside a dollar general. He seems like he comes from money, and isn't planning to live without it. I've always suspected that one or more of the parents has wealth on their side. His parents give me the vibe too of people who are in the doctor / lawyer class, with the way they dress and carry themselves. 

• Like 9

I'm not thinking Jeremy is from old money, I think he just has expensive taste. IMO, looking at lifestyles and attire really doesn't give a peak into where the money comes from when we're talking upper middle class. And even college choices - if you were never poor, and I don't think Jeremy and his parents were, choosing a field you interested in seems just as logical as going for the money. I think Jeremy was raised in a typical middle class family.

• Like 13

4 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Good thing they had God on their side, they'd never have been able to have all that stuff happen otherwise.

• Like 24

4 hours ago, Zahdii said:

Good thing they had God on their side, they'd never have been able to have all that stuff happen otherwise.

Sure, “god” is kind to them, but what about all of those poor kids in camps and dying at the border? 

• Like 24

Oh, Jinger, please grow up. You're a mother now, sweetie. Drop all the childish emojis. Glad that life is just one goodie goodie gum drop after another for you, girl.

You haven't experienced life yet. If Jeremy lets you, maybe you will one day.

• Like 21

5 hours ago, Zahdii said:

I'm sure God was especially excited about the gender reveal party. 

ELTA: Looks to me that maybe all the stuff she liked was or will be on TeeVee. ... So...you know....pretending to write something personal but actually it's just advertising.......I wonder if avoiding this kind of uncomfortable straddle is why some of the younger married Duggarlings stay farther from social media? 

Here she is writing this thing about what's supposedly been most meaningful in her life in 2018, and all mention of Jer's church congregation, for example, is conspicuous by its absence.... Or maybe they really don't mean anything to the pastor's wife......Either way it's kind of depressing to me. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Like 24

1 hour ago, floridamom said:

Oh, Jinger, please grow up. You're a mother now, sweetie. Drop all the childish emojis. Glad that life is just one goodie goodie gum drop after another for you, girl.

You haven't experienced life yet. If Jeremy lets you, maybe you will one day.

Someone tell Jessa about the emojis, too.🤣

• Like 7

On 1/1/2019 at 7:02 AM, GeeGolly said:

If he gets a job now. Supporting a family on one minimum wage paycheck is very difficult.

For the average family it would be, but I don't believe the Seewalds have a mortgage or a car payment. Take away two of the larger bills most households have and that leaves you with utilities, cell phone, food/clothes and entertainment.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Loves2Dance said:

For the average family it would be, but I don't believe the Seewalds have a mortgage or a car payment. Take away two of the larger bills most households have and that leaves you with utilities, cell phone, food/clothes and entertainment.  

Guess who DOES have a mortgage? That's right...the Vuolos. It's not as much as it could be (they used TLC $$$ to put down about 50%). Still, it's an expense beyond clothes, travel, and seminary tuition.

• Like 13

On 1/1/2019 at 2:00 PM, cmr2014 said:

I was watching a documentary on Elizabeth II last night and about how she invited Billy Graham for a private audience when he visited the UK in the 1950s. It lead to a friendship that lasted until Graham's death. Anyway, they were showing old footage of Graham and he was very charismatic when preaching in London. Now it's a different time and Billy Graham probably had a lot less competition than he would have had he be starting out today. He also seemed to have a plan to succeed, while it seems none of those three have one.

• Like 10

33 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

I was watching a documentary on Elizabeth II last night and about how she invited Billy Graham for a private audience when he visited the UK in the 1950s. It lead to a friendship that lasted until Graham's death. Anyway, they were showing old footage of Graham and he was very charismatic when preaching in London. Now it's a different time and Billy Graham probably had a lot less competition than he would have had he be starting out today. He also seemed to have a plan to succeed, while it seems none of those three have one.

QE II and Billy, huh? Interesting combination!

BG (not Bill Gothard) had plans, all right. And charisma.... Also about 20 X the brains of Der, Bin and Jer all lumped together, I'd estimate....  ;  )

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

QE II and Billy, huh? Interesting combination!

BG (not Bill Gothard) had plans, all right. And charisma.... Also about 20 X the brains of Der, Bin and Jer all lumped together, I'd estimate....  ;  )

I'm actually not surprised they forged some sort of friendship. Liz is deeply religious. Also not surprised Phil and his mother Alice weren't particularly thrilled with the Grahams either.

John Oliver did a piece on televangelists a few years ago. Yes it's a bit different than what Jeremy is trying to do but I can see how some of those men got where they did. I can also see why Derick failed with his grifting. He's not a good rat faced bastard like Pastor John Oliver, Mega Reverend and CEO (praise be, praise be).

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

Guess who DOES have a mortgage? That's right...the Vuolos. It's not as much as it could be (they used TLC $$$ to put down about 50%). Still, it's an expense beyond clothes, travel, and seminary tuition.

Yes, but the Vuolos have a slight advantage over the Seewalds. Jeremy has a degree he could use if they absolutely needed him too, Jinger is the most popular Duggar daughter and could likely branch a little on name alone if they had too and he has a paying job. 

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Loves2Dance said:

Health care?

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Health care?

They buy into a Fundie insurance that essentially pays for well child appointments and vaccines don't they? I doubt it costs what normal people pay. But, and this is a big but, I did not factor in the cost of health care because it's not a big expense in my family so I forgot about how much it costs the average family. We are very fortunate to have Tricare for the rest of our lives, so we pay pennies compared to most.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Loves2Dance said:

Very true. But they still have property taxes and cars don't last forever and they probably will have more children. One of my colleagues is a single parent of 3, owns her home outright, makes more than minimum wage, receives supplemented health care through the state and barely makes ends meet. Low wages of today don't stretch nearly as far as low wages of years ago.

• Like 19

5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Very true. But they still have property taxes and cars don't last forever and they probably will have more children. One of my colleagues is a single parent of 3, owns her home outright, makes more than minimum wage, receives supplemented health care through the state and barely makes ends meet. Low wages of today don't stretch nearly as far as low wages of years ago.

And unless they're going to do very minimal (read: child-neglect minimal) home schooling, that, too, requires some money (and it's now not that many years away) -- You do need to buy at least some books, supplies, computer programs, probably some extra laptops if you have more than a couple kids, etc. You can't get everything you need from the library (and do they even know where the library is? I mean, Jessa's an "author" and all, but while Bin seems to have brought home a lot of theology books (bought, not borrowed, though, I guess), what about mom-the-homeschooler?)

Of course, if they did what many hope and sent the kids to a real school when they got older, that would require fairly serious money (since it won't be a public school.) I must say that's one reason I doubt they'll do it. But even if they just signed the kids up for a homeschool sports co-op or something -- which the Seewalds apparently did for Bin -- that would be at least a bit more cash going out the door. 

And we also haven't mentioned home and yard maintenance. They apparently have a pretty big back yard (?) and you can't just let the house fall down....Quite a few monetary demands come from those things, in my experience, even if you do a lot of the work yourself. And can they? I mean, Jim Bob made them experts in property maintenance, of course, but I wonder about the breadth of their expertise. lol

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Like 12

9 hours ago, Loves2Dance said:

They buy into a Fundie insurance that essentially pays for well child appointments and vaccines don't they?

That one is another online rumor.  The only time a Duggar has discussed health insurance that I've seen was Jim Bob talking about having regular health insurance. 

• Like 3

Two pictures. She is truly is adorable, bows and all...Very happy too.

• Like 20

Screenshot_20190104-133322_Instagram-720x1280.thumb.jpg.f10558eb483875f3c561e972e5d326b3.jpgScreenshot_20190104-134026_Chrome.thumb.jpg.96186ddfeef23c1224972c70e690bdc1.jpg

Maybe it's just me but those shoes are not cute.

Jinger tagged the doll which means it was sent to her for free in return for a post. I checked the website and they are around $50-$70 but they also donate meals to children with every purchase.

• Like 13

4 hours ago, Lunera said:

Screenshot_20190104-133322_Instagram-720x1280.thumb.jpg.f10558eb483875f3c561e972e5d326b3.jpgScreenshot_20190104-134026_Chrome.thumb.jpg.96186ddfeef23c1224972c70e690bdc1.jpg

Maybe it's just me but those shoes are not cute.

Jinger tagged the doll which means it was sent to her for free in return for a post. I checked the website and they are around $50-$70 but they also donate meals to children with every purchase.

For some reason, the shoes seem very Jeremy-style to me. I can almost picture him wearing them more than Jinger....

They seem to have pretty limited wearability when it comes to the color and style of the rest of your wardrobe for the day. ... Especially for somewhat matchy-matchy people (like Felicity and companion), which I think Jer and Jingle are, although I could be wrong about that.... I don't see either of them as the kind of fashion free spirit who'd wear those with anything, though -- like, say, pink bermuda shorts and a tuxedo jacket over a Warhol's Marilyn tee shirt or a dress whose color didn't harmonize. 

ETA: I actually don't dislike the shoes. They're not my particular style, but I can picture my mom wearing them -- She wore 50s-origin styles like fancy bright-colored loafers and skinny black pants into her 90s and looked dynamite. I think of Jingle with somewhat more girly shoes, though, and, especially, with the same shoes worn a lot .... These shoes would only be matchy matchy with a few of your outfits.  So I feel as if they don't fit the Duggar shoe-frugality....Although maybe Jingle's moving on from that. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Like 8

I usually like men's wear type shoes for women. I usually like odd and quirky too. I don't much care for the plaid loafers though.

• Like 9

25 minutes ago, Madtown said:

Two pictures. She is truly is adorable, bows and all...Very happy too.

She’s a beautiful baby and appears to be very good-natured.

• Like 11

I really like the shoes.  With skinny jeans, a tee and jacket.  Black jeggings or a basic dress.   Alas, I no longer have the body for skinny jeans or jeggings. Seems a little odd to show the price.  Did she want us to know Jeremy is a bargain shopper?  Cute baby. Love the bubble romper.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, beagletime said:

I really like the shoes.  With skinny jeans, a tee and jacket.  Black jeggings or a basic dress.   Alas, I no longer have the body for skinny jeans or jeggings. Seems a little odd to show the price.  Did she want us to know Jeremy is a bargain shopper?  Cute baby. Love the bubble romper.

She didn't show the price, I Googled plaid blue loafers because I was interested in the price. I wonder if Jinger ever wears those $100+ Jordans Jeremy got her.

Edited by Lunera
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Lunera said:

She didn't show the price, I Googled plaid blue loafers because I was interested in the price. I wonder if Jinger ever wears those $100+ Jordans Jeremy got her.

So sorry! I thought that was from Jinger's Instagram.

• Like 3

On 1/2/2019 at 10:52 PM, Loves2Dance said:

They buy into a Fundie insurance that essentially pays for well child appointments and vaccines don't they? I doubt it costs what normal people pay. But, and this is a big but, I did not factor in the cost of health care because it's not a big expense in my family so I forgot about how much it costs the average family. We are very fortunate to have Tricare for the rest of our lives, so we pay pennies compared to most.

“Regular” non -Fundie insurance covers well child care and routine vaccines at 100%. 

• Like 1

Not a fan of the blue plaid, but I imagine it's a thrill for Jinger to have new shoes that fit and haven't been worn by a dozen other people.

• Like 19

30 minutes ago, Catfin said:

“Regular” non -Fundie insurance covers well child care and routine vaccines at 100%. 

There is a federal program, vaccines for children, that provides vaccines for free to all children who are not insured/cannot pay.  So, even if their insurance doesn't cover it, all they have to do is contact the local health department for information on where to get them.  Most pediatricians are qualified to provide free vaccinations to kids by that program.  Of course, the cost of the office visit and nurse's time to give the injection is not covered by Uncle Sam.

My sister, a middle class mom with good health insurance, was advised by her pediatrician not to get her kids vaccinated in his office.  Instead, he gave her a list of vaccines and when they needed to be given and told her to contact the health department which had days of the month set aside to do immunizations for free.  He did this with all his patients because he couldn't afford not to charge to give them.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Like 13