Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

17 minutes ago, lascuba said:

I really think it's as simple as Jinger trying to sound smart. Because unless it's a regional saying (in which case I take back my mockery), I don't think it's something she was ever taught. "Yesterday has two whole syllables more than last, so it must be better," Jinger, probably.

I don't thinks its regional, but if you Google it, discussions about yesterday night vs last night have been happening for a long, long time.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I don't thinks its regional, but if you Google it, discussions about yesterday night vs last night have been happening for a long, long time.

That's so odd to me because Jinger's writing was the first time I'd heard of it. 

• Love 8
12 hours ago, lascuba said:

I really think it's as simple as Jinger trying to sound smart. Because unless it's a regional saying (in which case I take back my mockery), 

If "last night" is so completely and utterly correct while "yesterday night" is hideous and emblematic of idiocy or pretension or something, why are "last afternoon" and "last morning" dead wrong while "yesterday afternoon" and "yesterday morning" the mark of the highly intelligent? 

I think we're looking for logic where there is none.

In the olden days of English, "yesternight" was the word. It was in constant use.  But today it's vanished. However, its equivalent, "yesterday." is still used universally. No logic to that history at all, most likely. 

"Yesterday night" is just as accurate as "yesterday morning" and "yesterday afternoon." It just didn't catch on widely, while the others did.... While the reverse is true for "last night" vs. "last morning" and "last afternoon." 

Idioms and phrases just catch on or don't. Or, more often, catch on like crazy in one place while not catching on at all in the next county over. And the reasons are virtually never logical ones. They're unexplainable viral phenomenon, usually.

I expect Jingle picked up "yesterday night" from somebody she knows, probably years ago. Maybe grandma or somebody. And it feels natural to her because she's heard it often.  

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 2
  • Love 14

Just tossing this out there...

Could it be that "yesterday night" didn't catch on like "yesterday morning" or "yesterday afternoon" because those are both referring to daytime.... While "yesterDAY night" sounds contradictory and awkward?

• Useful 2
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, Joan of Argh said:

Just tossing this out there...

Could it be that "yesterday night" didn't catch on like "yesterday morning" or "yesterday afternoon" because those are both referring to daytime.... While "yesterDAY night" sounds contradictory and awkward?

This makes a huge amount of sense. .... Also could explain why "yesterday evening" is in pretty wide use, while 'yesterday night" isn't. "Night and day" are clear opposites. "Evening and day," not so much.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I don't think "yesterday night" sounds uneducated per se -- but it sounds really awkward. Is Jinger not used to talking or writing at all, so when she does, it's all awkward and stilted and weird? Maybe. Just one more penny in the "these people are so WEIRD" jar.

This is a weird couple...they have chemistry, but that's IT. They don't seem to be friends or on the same wavelength or really have anything but maybe a superficial interest in aesthetics in common. Maybe I would understand their dynamic and what they could possibly have to talk about a bit better if I listened to their podcast, but...no thanks. I can rot my brain by my own damn self, don't need their help for that! 🙃

• LOL 12
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, rue721 said:

I don't think "yesterday night" sounds uneducated per se -- but it sounds really awkward. Is Jinger not used to talking or writing at all, so when she does, it's all awkward and stilted and weird? Maybe. Just one more penny in the "these people are so WEIRD" jar.

This is a weird couple...they have chemistry, but that's IT. They don't seem to be friends or on the same wavelength or really have anything but maybe a superficial interest in aesthetics in common. Maybe I would understand their dynamic and what they could possibly have to talk about a bit better if I listened to their podcast, but...no thanks. I can rot my brain by my own damn self, don't need their help for that! 🙃

Their dynamic is why I think Jinger was attempting to "level up" her speech/writing." From the second they married it's been pretty clear that Jinger has been trying to reach the intellectual level that Jeremy believes he's achieved. Hell, even the way she pronounces her own daughter's name, with the hard "T" that makes no sense coming out of a born-and-raised American is indicative of someone trying to sound like what she thinks is smart.

• Love 13
3 hours ago, lascuba said:

Their dynamic is why I think Jinger was attempting to "level up" her speech/writing." From the second they married it's been pretty clear that Jinger has been trying to reach the intellectual level that Jeremy believes he's achieved. Hell, even the way she pronounces her own daughter's name, with the hard "T" that makes no sense coming out of a born-and-raised American is indicative of someone trying to sound like what she thinks is smart.

I agree. I still have never gotten over her "Jeremy loves books, and I love Jeremy, so I love books" post. 

• Love 16
7 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

In the olden days of English, "yesternight" was the word. It was in constant use.  But today it's vanished. However, its equivalent, "yesterday." is still used universally. No logic to that history at all, most likely. 

I now want to start using "yesternight". It sounds comforting and logical to me.

• Love 18
1 hour ago, Zella said:

I agree. I still have never gotten over her "Jeremy loves books, and I love Jeremy, so I love books" post. 

Right?! And can you imagine being married to someone who said things like that?

It would be like being married to a four-year-old 🤮 No offense to four-year-olds, but come on, an adult just should NOT be that vapid.

• LOL 3
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, rue721 said:

It would be like being married to a four-year-old 🤮 No offense to four-year-olds, but come on, an adult just should NOT be that vapid.

"Raised to Be Va-a-a-pid!"    

Sung to the tune of "Born to be Wild." 

Pitiful. But that's what happens when Meechelle is set up as your role model. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 4

How can Jeremy afford to be taking golf lesson?  Haha, I know he's not paying for this.  Wouldn't lesson #1 be the proper form?  I'm not a golfer, but even I can tell his form is way off.  Has he already graduated from "preacher school?"  and now just grifting a free home, food, gifts, maybe medical care / insurance since Jinger is pregnant.  When he was introduced I admit I kinda liked him, because even though I knew he was a fundie, he had a real job and seemed like he was going to be introducing Jinger to more things. I had hope for Jinger. Now, I cannot stand him because he is so lazy and greedy.   Hey, maybe he will be the next Joel Osteen LOL.  

Edited by Lisa418722
  • Love 14

Jeremy really does have a cushy life. He's a husband and father and is still able to attend school while only working part-time for TLC. Its kind of odd they don't ever explain or even mention how 'blessed' they are in their current situation. They have to know, or at least Jeremy has to know, that most in his situation would be juggling a full-time job in addition to school and family.

I'm sure he has plenty of time to golf, likely as a freebie guest of someone, while Jinger is able to shower the neighborhood with fresh cut flowers, because unlike most, he has a well paying part-time gig with TLC.

What's missing from all their posts is humility. There is nothing about these two that is even remotely relatable to their average follower.

I would love to know the breakdown of their numbers. I bet the reality is more like 100 true followers/fans, 50 or so friends and family, a couple dozen or true followers/haters, a handful of faithful trolls and the rest clicked follow at one time, but don't pay any attention to them at all.

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
On 10/20/2020 at 12:59 PM, rue721 said:

She's probably very proud to show she understands transitive inference.  Just like every other vertebrate species studied, including fish.

• LOL 5
1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Shouldn't he be at work? It's only 3:30 on the west coast.Jinger just posted this.

He's learned that work brings a small return. Schmoozing is much more effective. 

1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

He has a job?

He has some kind of title at the church. I don't remember what it is. Whether it comes with any actual work-like activity is an open question, however. It could just be a cover for giving him free stuff in return for....fame? social media mentions? or what? 

Baffling. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
38 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

He has quite a spacious office for someone who isn't that high up in the organization. 

Maybe it's a sort of lobby-like area in the church somewhere? His ostensible job is at the church. 

16 hours ago, Chicklet said:

1. Golf isn't cheap 

2. He's in some sort of degree program which should be taking up a lot of his time.

3. He has a young child and a baby on the way not to mention the wife.

4. He's kind of a douchebag. 

That's all I've got.

This is so offensive. There's no "kind of" about it...he's a total douchebag.

I was listening to a podcast on a completely unrelated topic. The host mentioned how conman is short for confidence man, and that the key to white collar crime is simply exuding confidence, because people inherently trust confident people. I don't think Jeremy is committing any crimes, but I do think that he comes off as confident and that--in addition to the semi-famous wife and tv appearances--is what's getting him all the freebies and ability to stay in school despite not doing seeming to do much. Sure, he's a brown noser, but simply kissing ass wouldn't get him so far. Even the most egotistical dumbass isn't going to keep an obsequious kiss ass close and provide him so many perks.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 13
14 hours ago, lascuba said:

This is so offensive. There's no "kind of" about it...he's a total douchebag.

I was listening to a podcast on a completely unrelated topic. The host mentioned how conman is short for confidence man, and that the key to white collar crime is simply exuding confidence, because people inherently trust confident people. I don't think Jeremy is committing any crimes, but I do think that he comes off as confident and that--in addition to the semi-famous wife and tv appearances--is what's getting him all the freebies and ability to stay in school despite not doing seeming to do much. Sure, he's a brown noser, but simply kissing ass wouldn't get him so far. Even the most egotistical dumbass isn't going to keep an obsequious kiss ass close and provide him so many perks.

I've always assumed that the conn/confidence part comes in because these folks believe that Jer (well, really Jinge, but these folks will never give a woman credit for anything) will bring in the elusive conservative millennial hipsters. That's certainly how J. is (confidently) selling himself. The only flaw in my theory is that Jer's social media mostly focuses on his own wonderfulness, so I doubt it's bringing in many new folks. I wouldn't think his benefactors would put up with it for this long, but maybe his brown nosing game is just that good. 

• Love 12
47 minutes ago, satrunrose said:

I've always assumed that the conn/confidence part comes in because these folks believe that Jer (well, really Jinge, but these folks will never give a woman credit for anything) will bring in the elusive conservative millennial hipsters. That's certainly how J. is (confidently) selling himself. The only flaw in my theory is that Jer's social media mostly focuses on his own wonderfulness, so I doubt it's bringing in many new folks. I wouldn't think his benefactors would put up with it for this long, but maybe his brown nosing game is just that good. 

The Duggars have NEVER been hipsters. In fact, quite the opposite, they are unsophisticated hillbilly bumpkins.

He picked the wrong girl/family to attach himself to.

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Love 13
14 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

The Duggars have NEVER been hipsters. In fact, quite the opposite, they are unsophisticated hillbilly bumpkins.

I see some similarities between hipsters and fundie families like the Duggars.  Both see themselves as "in the world, but not of it" they just use different words.  Both eschew watching television albeit for different reasons.  The women choose to ignore trends and corporate beauty standards.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I see some similarities between hipsters and fundie families like the Duggars.  Both see themselves as "in the world, but not of it" they just use different words.  Both eschew watching television albeit for different reasons.  The women choose to ignore trends and corporate beauty standards.  

I think hipster might mean something different to you than it does me.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, DangerousMinds said:

And to be fair, no matter how hard he tries, Jeremy is no hipster either. Hence, the bizarre stumbling around he does on social media. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 15
6 hours ago, satrunrose said:

The only flaw in my theory is that Jer's social media mostly focuses on his own wonderfulness, so I doubt it's bringing in many new folks.

And as @Zella has pointed out, what this shows is that, for a guy with one-and-a-half business degrees from Syracuse and a fervent desire to lucratively market himself and his family as a thrilling lifestyle brand, he's 100-percent clueless about marketing. It's about the prospects, Jer. Not about the product. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 8