Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

On August 30, 2016 at 7:18 PM, Sew Sumi said:

Arwen, it's profiteroles. It's a light custard filling, mixed with cream, rather than straight-up whipped cream. You really only need one to be full. Especially after the informal, outdoor picnic lunch we fed our guests. :D

Hey Jeremy, you're Italian!!!!! We didn't think of cost; we just didn't want a big cake (or ice cream). Thank goodness we eschewed ice cream. The average high in the town we were married in is almost as cool as San Francisco (this was in August). However, that day, it was over 90! Thank heavens the Tower of Puffs was served indoors and stayed cool. 

Venue: Parents' house. Guests: 50. Perfect. 

Jinger could emerge from down that breezeway in the TTH, right? I wonder if that's the direction they're going; it would certainly limit the number of guests. 

But,Sew, they'd better keep those profiteroles away from Josie. She'd be licking all of them.  They are tasty indeed.

Somehow, trying to watch Sierra or the Duggars make custard or pastry crème or pâte-au-choux would make for entertaining TV.  Just watching them have to make Something Not From A Box and trying to pronounce it would be pretty amusing, since we know Muffy is like a fart in a colander even when it comes to adding 2 more ingredients to the contents, even with picture directions. I just hope they leave this to competent Italian bakers who know what they're doing. 

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

But,Sew, they'd better keep those profiteroles away from Josie. She'd be licking all of them.  They are tasty indeed.

Somehow, trying to watch Sierra or the Duggars make custard or pastry crème or pâte-au-choux would make for entertaining TV.  Just watching them have to make Something Not From A Box and trying to pronounce it would be pretty amusing, since we know Muffy is like a fart in a colander even when it comes to adding 2 more ingredients to the contents, even with picture directions. I just hope they leave this to competent Italian bakers who know what they're doing. 

They had to make pate-au-choux on Masterchef last night on the pressure test.  I just want to see the Duggars try to spell it.  Or pronounce it.  You already know they'll screw it up and make it too runny.  Seriously, these people would side-bite a cannoli.

• Love 3

If the Trainwreck of Mind-Destroying Boredom that is Counting On, is to have another season after this one? I want to see the TLC camera crews follow Jinger in her new role as pastor's wife in that tiny church in Laredo. I want to see how she copes with preparing that big free lunch the church serves after every Sunday morning service. I don't know who makes that meal now, but I can't imagine that in such a fundie church, the pastor's wife would have no responsibilities in connection with it. 

I wonder if Jinger expects that married life will go something like: she gets knocked up right away, a few of her younger sisters are shipped to Texas to live with her and help her with the enormous job of running a home for herself and Jeremy, and with the HYOOGE!! job of caring for a baby along with keeping house after the baby comes. While Jinger is busy being Jeremy the pastor's meek helpmeet. Whatever that means. Although we may see a few sisterwives slinging hash to the faithful at the free church lunch on Sunday while Jinger hangs on to Jeremy's arm.

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

If the Trainwreck of Mind-Destroying Boredom that is Counting On, is to have another season after this one? I want to see the TLC camera crews follow Jinger in her new role as pastor's wife in that tiny church in Laredo. 

Train Wreck of Mind Destroying Boredom!  Gotta love it!!

• Love 4

How is it possible that Jinge doesn't know how to make anything but spaghetti?!  Unless Jana did all the cooking, every single day - but still, you have to really be a dim bulb if you can't figure out how to make a grilled ham and cheese or scramble some eggs, or follow a recipe on the back of a box.  I'm dumbfounded.

• Love 5
On 8/30/2016 at 7:18 PM, Sew Sumi said:

Arwen, it's profiteroles. It's a light custard filling, mixed with cream, rather than straight-up whipped cream. You really only need one to be full. Especially after the informal, outdoor picnic lunch we fed our guests. :D

Hey Jeremy, you're Italian!!!!! We didn't think of cost; we just didn't want a big cake (or ice cream). Thank goodness we eschewed ice cream. The average high in the town we were married in is almost as cool as San Francisco (this was in August). However, that day, it was over 90! Thank heavens the Tower of Puffs was served indoors and stayed cool. 

Venue: Parents' house. Guests: 50. Perfect. 

Jinger could emerge from down that breezeway in the TTH, right? I wonder if that's the direction they're going; it would certainly limit the number of guests. 

If Jeremy is truly old fashioned Italian he will have real food at the wedding along with a cake and a sweet table otherwise he will be talked about for years and years to come!

Jinger should follow the Italian lead and demand a classy sit down dinner no parking lot quickie for her.

• Love 4

I have no information to back this up...I was wondering if Jeremy's dad (The preacher) is still close to the "other Catholics" in the family?  You know how that one part of the family can change out of the common religion of the family and then they sloooowly land up separated over silly things? (that was a terrible explanation).  All of a sudden, family get togethers get awkward when someone breaks out the booze and the non drinker members are not happy.  Or in reverse...the family is dry and someone complains that there is no alcohol and they are unhappy. 

Let's assume that Jeremy's extended family is a typical Italian Catholic East Coast family....how does Preacher Jeremy's dad fit into that group? Did fights break out over alcohol, music, Santa Claus, politics, current events?  

So...maybe extended family won't be shocked at dixie cups and sheet cake from Sam's Club because they have grown apart to begin with? 

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 5
20 minutes ago, Marigold said:

I have no information to back this up...I was wondering if Jeremy's dad (The preacher) is still close to the "other Catholics" in the family?  You know how that one part of the family can change out of the common religion of the family and then they sloooowly land up separated over silly things? (that was a terrible explanation).  All of a sudden, family get togethers get awkward when someone breaks out the booze and the non drinker members are not happy.  Or in reverse...the family is dry and someone complains that there is no alcohol and they are unhappy. 

Let's assume that Jeremy's extended family is a typical Italian Catholic East Coast family....how does Preacher Jeremy's dad fit into that group? Did fights break out over alcohol, music, Santa Claus, politics, current events?  

So...maybe extended family won't be shocked at dixie cups and sheet cake from Sam's Club because they have grown apart to begin with? 

Not shocked? I grew up in a Brit family where formality was absolutely expected in certain instances, so I don't think Italians would give the Duggars a pass. Weddings, baptisms, and first communions are very special family occasions, regardless, so the proper effort and respect is just part and parcel for most folks. To do anything less would be uncivilized, and would get you talked about for a very long time.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Fuzzysox said:

If Jeremy is truly old fashioned Italian he will have real food at the wedding along with a cake and a sweet table otherwise he will be talked about for years and years to come!

Jinger should follow the Italian lead and demand a classy sit down dinner no parking lot quickie for her.

Oooo...oooooo....Maybe they can serve shrimp fra diavolo. Really make Boob's head explode lol

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Not shocked? I grew up in a Brit family where formality was absolutely expected in certain instances, so I don't think Italians would give the Duggars a pass.

Well, it's their own cravenly publicity-seeking, stupid, kinda smarmy son who picked out this gem of a family. And the Duggs have been pretty consistent in their slipshod, idiotic, barefoot, backyard and arrogant approach to everything over the years. Plentiful evidence of that is available on tv, all over youTube, in thousands of snarky blog and forum posts, magazine articles and so on.

So while they probably can claim to be shocked and offended if the wedding turns out as Duggar-dumb as everything else the Duggars do, the Vuolos can't credibly say that their family had no responsibility for getting involved in it. Or didn't have proper warning that it was going to happen. Lie down with dogs, Vuolos, but don't be surprised about what you get up with.

(With deep apologies to the dogs. And, come to think of it, even the fleas.)

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 14
3 hours ago, Fuzzysox said:

Actually paying for that classy sit down dinner will be the sticking point. KJB and Dairy Queen have made it clear that their children's weddings are nothing more than a profit center; they're not forking out so that the groom's family can have the traditional celebration they believe is the correct observance of something as meaningful as a wedding. Paying for dinner will cut into the "production costs" I'm fairly sure the Duggars bill TLC for for allowing them to film. It will also lessen the profit from the People Magazine "exclusive", etcetera. Plus, there's no public registry yet -- who's buying them another three irons and another 48 sets of bath towels, hm?

This isn't about love or getting a new family member. It's all about money!

• Love 8
On September 1, 2016 at 7:08 AM, laurakaye said:

How is it possible that Jinge doesn't know how to make anything but spaghetti?!  Unless Jana did all the cooking, every single day - but still, you have to really be a dim bulb if you can't figure out how to make a grilled ham and cheese or scramble some eggs, or follow a recipe on the back of a box.  I'm dumbfounded.

I thought Jinger was saying that spaghetti was the only "Italian" thing she knows how to make. She kind of rambled, but that was what I understood. 

• Love 3
On ‎2016‎-‎09‎-‎01 at 7:39 AM, Jeeves said:

If the Trainwreck of Mind-Destroying Boredom that is Counting On, is to have another season after this one? I want to see the TLC camera crews follow Jinger in her new role as pastor's wife in that tiny church in Laredo. I want to see how she copes with preparing that big free lunch the church serves after every Sunday morning service. I don't know who makes that meal now, but I can't imagine that in such a fundie church, the pastor's wife would have no responsibilities in connection with it. 

I wonder if Jinger expects that married life will go something like: she gets knocked up right away, a few of her younger sisters are shipped to Texas to live with her and help her with the enormous job of running a home for herself and Jeremy, and with the HYOOGE!! job of caring for a baby along with keeping house after the baby comes. While Jinger is busy being Jeremy the pastor's meek helpmeet. Whatever that means. Although we may see a few sisterwives slinging hash to the faithful at the free church lunch on Sunday while Jinger hangs on to Jeremy's arm.

Danger America didn't keep the cult spot checks at bay, so I suspect Jinger will never be alone much. 2 planes + 2 pilots (soon Josiah) = same old story line of visiting lonely Jinger. Jeremy may have it laid on his heart to move Jinger closer to the compound. I expect him to actually say "Gawd laid it on my heart to purpose to move JInger nearer to her family" (While gazing at the camera and holding their first born full body towards the camera instead of snuggled up to a parents body.)

• Love 3

What if Jeremy changed his mind?  Imagine a broken engagment!

I mean, he's starting to get to know her and her family better and seeing what his life will be like.  And he's old enough to know better.

Edited by BetyBee
23 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

What if Jeremy changed his mind?  Imagine a broken engagment!

I mean, he's starting to get to know her and her family better and seeing what his life will be like.  And he's old enough to know better.

Anyone involving themselves with this train wreck of a family knows exactly what they're getting. TV time and D-list celebrity.

A normal person would run after knowing about Joshley Madison, the fact the kidults are functionally illiterate, etcetera.

There, I said it.

• Love 11
On Thursday, September 01, 2016 at 11:21 AM, Arwen Evenstar said:

Not shocked? I grew up in a Brit family where formality was absolutely expected in certain instances, so I don't think Italians would give the Duggars a pass. Weddings, baptisms, and first communions are very special family occasions, regardless, so the proper effort and respect is just part and parcel for most folks. To do anything less would be uncivilized, and would get you talked about for a very long time.

I guess I'm trying to say...do you think that the Preacher Vuolo part of the family is already looked at strangely so icream sundaes at a wedding will just get an eye roll and a "well, that totally figures, crazy Jesus freaks"

Once you cut that common bond of the "Italian Catholic" family...does Jeremy's immediate family even attend those events? I was IFB and most of them will not attend any religious services because they do not agree with them so why go?  They feel they are supporting a ritual that goes against the Bible. (FYI, I always went to everything I was invited to because I'm there for the person not the religion)

I'm wondering if Jeremy's immediate family, particularly Preacher Vuolo, is even is that close with the rest of the family due to fall out over religous arguments?I haven't heard his father preach but some of you listened and said he is pretty Fire and Brimstone. How does he even maintain ties with a family when he is ranting about hell, the Bible etc.  

I know you guys see it as like "The Italian side of the family is gonna be shocked and disapprove".  I see more as "this is not their first rodeo with the Fire and Brimstone Bible Thumpers" and they will be like "oh yeah? they always were kooks with that Bible talk. Figures they served us ice cream and a fruit punch juice box.  Let's get the F outta here and party somewhere else! Later Crazy Vuolos. Say a prayer for me. Bye! " 

The extended Vuolos are probably sick of the "Holier Than Thou" stuff and have given up. And, vice versa. The immediate Vuolos might've given up on the "heathens" too. 

This wedding will be a culture clash but I don't think it will be a big deal to anyone because it must've happened before.  TLC is playing up the "nice Italian boy from Philly" angle but I bet Jeremy is not THAT close with the extended family that anyone would even care what they ate.  

BTW, My husband is a NYC Italian Catholic who converted to IFB. I have stories...  ;)

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 18
34 minutes ago, Marigold said:

I know you guys see it as like "The Italian side of the family is gonna be shocked and disapprove".  I see more as "this is not their first rodeo with the Fire and Brimstone Bible Thumpers" and they will be like "oh yeah? they always were kooks with that Bible talk. Figures they served us ice cream and a fruit punch juice box.  Let's get the F outta here and party somewhere else! Later Crazy Vuolos. Say a prayer for me. Bye! " 

They'll do the same thing the rest of us do when we are more or less compelled to attend a Fundie Wedding or other event orchestrated by the super-religious. They'll meet up at a restaurant elsewhere and have their own celebration. I'd like to be invited to THAT one*.

*Wine and really good Italian food will most likely be on the agenda...

• Love 4

I don't know if Jeremy has any living grandparents, but if he does, it would be interesting to see their reactions to the whole Dugger insanity.  If old Italian relatives are anything like my old Jewish relatives, I think the culture shock will be ratings gold.  Although the language may not be suitable for TV.

• Love 6

We know that one of Jeremy's grandmothers filmed a segment cooking with Jinger when they were in the Northeast. Ben also filmed a Congratulations message from them that I suppose is on the Duggarfam youtube page. I don't remember whether they identified themselves as Vuolos or whatever his mother's maiden name was (and really don't care enough to look it up LOL).

• Love 1

I'm rather interested to see what would happen when (if) Jinger moves to Laredo. I think the Dillards were different because they were in a whole other country, but what will The Boob do with Jinger so close, yet so far? Frequent flights to patrol his colony? 

As a side note, I'm highly interested in how people, in general, name their children, but I'm especially curious about Jinger's baby name style. Part of me thinks she'll go normal Anglican/Biblical names (Elizabeth, Daniel, Jacob) and part says she'll go full Italian to please the in-laws.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SpaghettiTuesdays said:

I'm rather interested to see what would happen when (if) Jinger moves to Laredo. I think the Dillards were different because they were in a whole other country, but what will The Boob do with Jinger so close, yet so far? Frequent flights to patrol his colony? 

As a side note, I'm highly interested in how people, in general, name their children, but I'm especially curious about Jinger's baby name style. Part of me thinks she'll go normal Anglican/Biblical names (Elizabeth, Daniel, Jacob) and part says she'll go full Italian to please the in-laws.

I wouldn't consider Jeremy a particularly Italian name.  I doubt there would be pressure to use classic Italian names, but they might be a way to differentiate her kids from her nieces and nephews. 

• Love 4
11 hours ago, EAG46 said:

I don't know if Jeremy has any living grandparents, but if he does, it would be interesting to see their reactions to the whole Dugger insanity.  If old Italian relatives are anything like my old Jewish relatives, I think the culture shock will be ratings gold.  Although the language may not be suitable for TV.

I don't actually watch this show, so I've been wondering through this conversation -- Did the pre-wedding and wedding shows for Anna, Derick and Ben feature their immediate and extended families much? Did they get any talking heads or mini-scenes or whatever? Did grandparents even get on video (I think Derick at least has at least one of these?) I don't remember hearing much about that, but I really have no idea.

5 hours ago, Temperance said:

I wouldn't consider Jeremy a particularly Italian name.  I doubt there would be pressure to use classic Italian names, but they might be a way to differentiate her kids from her nieces and nephews. 

Totally NOT an Italian name. I actually hate it. I do hope that Jinger picks out nice classic names for her kids not just J names or a bizarre strange name that no one can pronounce.

I saw the first episode of this season of Counting On, and I have to say Jinger has LUST in her eyes when she looks at Jeremy. He is attractive and I'm happy for her that she gets to experience this, an older guy with some experience may give her a run for her money. They are awfully touchy, I too think that when this was filmed they were already engaged but I do also think they've had more physical intimacy than other courting couples. Jinger looks hungry for him! It's kinda funny. 

He looks like he's acting. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Temperance said:

Depends. Some generations just seem to want to "Americanize" themselves. My husband has a Sicilian last name but a decidedly continental first and middle name. My MIL is full-blooded Serbian, but she's never cooked an ethnic dish in the 20+ years I've known her. Jeremy may have attended a lot of Italian dinners, but those may have been put on by relatives, not his fundie parents. 

16 hours ago, SpaghettiTuesdays said:

Jia

• Love 1

I wish they'd go Italian with the names, they are so melodious, but I'm afraid that they'll go the fundie and/or boring Murrikun route and go with boring biblical stuff for boys. For girls, like the Duggars, they may wander off the biblical reservation and go with trydee stuff like Anna did. My husband's name is Peter, and truth be told, it doesn't go badly with his last name. However, I should have kept my Scottish maiden name that goes with the boring Anglo-Saxon names my parents chose. My first and last names practically rhyme. 

At least Jinger won't have that problem, especially given that half the population can't pronounce her name properly. And I didn't even have Vuolo right; I pronounced the "u," but Jinger swallowed it, pronouncing it "Volo." I imagine that I am the one who is more correct in PROPER Italian. :D (the same thing has happened to my married name...it got bastardized when my husband's grandparents decided they wanted to be AMERICAN, not Italian). To that end, it's almost never pronounced to MY liking. 

• Love 1

No, they have made NOTHING public. No stupid HeLovesHer website, no open invitations or registries. 

I'm still in the pool for 10/15, which is just under 3 months from when he ostensibly proposed (and they were caught in NYC). Jessa's engagement was 10 weeks, Jill's about 11. This would be perfectly in the Duggar "fast track" ballpark. 

We do know Jinger got her dress at Ava Laurenne, the same place that altered Jill's hideous dress. Hell, Derick posted about the DC trip on Instagram, but the girls were also busted in the town where the bridal shop is in VA. 

• Love 1

Do they really play up the 'professional soccer player who gave up his career to plant a church'?That gig looked much better on him. He was quite attractive. Now he just looks like a smarmy loser who needs braces. He really has turned into a wimp zealot, or he is a shitty person who is acting like a cult beta male to get $$ with a bonus meek virgin.

Edited by sometimesy
  • Love 3

I just can't fathom having a tacky and cheap wedding and being proud of it.  You know the Duggars are though!  "Barefoot and backyard!"

I think if Jinger is able to conceive after they get married,  they'll have a girl.  Idk why,  just a feeling I have.  

I am hoping to the FSM that Jinger is embarrassed enough by her name to not go the J route just to be cute. J is not an official letter in the official Italian alphabet (other than loan words they use like "jeans). So please, no. 

But then, this girl has Duggar genes. Go big or go home looking like an ass. 

eta: Anna is the only one (aside from the spelling of her firstborn) who has gone anything approaching normal. Although who can't laugh at Marcus Anthony? Was this on purpose, or have they never heard of Julius Caesar? 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 3

I was surprised to see Jeremy's last name is pronounced Vo-lo. I thought it was Vue-oh-lo. Of course, Jinger hasn't even had a private conversation with the guy, so for all we know she could be saying it wrong.

If they go with J names for their kids, I'll puke.

• Love 2

If she goes with G Italian names, she will never run out. Plenty of Biblical names, too. 

I'm calling Gabriel(la) for the first baby.

BTW presumed his last name wa pronounced Vwo-Lo, but looks like he says Vo-lo. Wouldn't be the first Americanized pronunciation. 

• Love 1

I'm going to set the bar low on these two. Jinger will not be the fundie breakaway. We'll see a boring wedding followed by boring Duggar-heavy outings. A train station! The Creation Museum! And pregnancy, of course. JinJer will be right there towing the Jim Bob line to keep the TV show cash coming in. 

Still, it's fun to imagine how it could be. 

• Love 4

How long after the wedding will the Grifters wait till they visit them in Laredo? I say the whole family helps Jinger move there and one of the sister moms stays to help decorate the house and stays because by then Jinger is pregnant.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Rabbittron said:

How long after the wedding will the Grifters wait till they visit them in Laredo? I say the whole family helps Jinger move there and one of the sister moms stays to help decorate the house and stays because by then Jinger is pregnant.

If they even move to Laredo. I think many of us are hedging our bets that the Lord will lay it on Jeremy's heart to remain close to the gravy train and start a church in Tontitown. 

• Love 7
31 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

If they even move to Laredo. I think many of us are hedging our bets that the Lord will lay it on Jeremy's heart to remain close to the gravy train and start a church in Tontitown. 

They might go for a month or two, for the cameras, then something will happen to the church and coincidentally an amazing opportunity will open up in Arkansas. We gotta sell plotlines, people!

• Love 9
11 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Is it true that Tonitown actually has a large Catholic population?

Yes, it was founded by Italian immigrants and still has an active historic Catholic church.