Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

My husband and I are both techies in the SF Bay Area and when we got engaged 15.5 years ago (after living together, owning cars and property together, for more than 9 years and being on definitely sound financial footing), he bought me a lovely 80-point solitaire. I have never felt deprived. I think the one carat arbitrary rule is pretty invented and shallow, actually (and also recent--my mom had a 0.25 carat stone, albeit flawless, and in a previous life, I had a 1/3 carat stone with an ex). And I think Jinger's ring is pretty. The dynamic of her relationship thus far? Not so much.

• Love 15

That and the "two month salary" bullshit. 

I'm sure Jeremy is paid by the home church, but pastors of smaller churches typically don't make much at all. Hopefully, the church owns a house, but since it's a  pretty new plant, it's hard to say what their finances are. 

• Love 9

My engagement ring was a freebie. It was given by my husband's grandfather to a woman who had already been married and had a child. My FIL was born in 1923, and when I went to a local jeweler to have it sized, they estimated by its deco style that it was a new piece when purchased. In New Orleans. :) 

Sadly, the women in this family are TINY as FUCK and I could only get it sized it up to a 5 1/2 or 6 (it's been 22 years, don't quiz me! I had to size it UP!) without destroying the step work on the shanks. The work on the thing, both white and yellow gold, is spectacular. The diamond? It's almost an afterthought, a round, maybe 30 or 40 points, tops.  I wore it as my sole ring for several years before the thyroid problems and meds caused me to gain 50 lbs. I have it tucked away in my safe deposit box. I've considered taking it out for a couple of years for my MIL to see and appreciate in her last years. Interestingly, she never got this ring; they were sooooo 50's. Accordingly, my FIL bought her an appropriately small (especially for a 90 pound girl) solitaire. I have her rings now for safety, and they're so TINY! I don't think her solitaire is much larger than my small diamond in its ostentatious setting. 

Now? I wear fakes (if anything other than silver) because I live in a "dangerous" city, although a "safe" area. I do want to unearth the "ring." I bet it cost more than two months' salary in 1922, although I bet they bought it while partying, so who cared? My FIL's stepmother was a total flapper and her daugther followed her in jazz clubs in the 30's and 40's. LOL

Ah hell, I am semi-free of meetings next week. Off to the bank where I put it before the school year starts in earnest. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 6

My first engagement ring with ex is a pearl. I wanted something he could afford. Still like that ring. His mother was horrified and wanted to buy me a huge diamond so her friends would be impressed. I didn't want something from her. Current engagement ring is big - to me - maybe 2 carats but it is inherited from a family member and I feel good wearing it. 

• Love 3

I never really felt that the size of the diamond defined the beauty of a ring, but the proportion and setting and design.  Some people prefer white gold or  yellow gold or a combination.  I swear there are some gorgeous diamond rings at Walmart.  Some of the designs are really unique, some are classic, and a great wedding set can be had for under $300-$400.   It all depends on how one looks at the meaning of it.  Some brides may feel they want a ring that is at least in the several thousand dollar range because after all it's their ring for life (or so they hope), others may see it as more of a symbol of commitment where price is less relevant than a ring they find beautiful.  I wonder if someone did a study - the length of a marriage and how the price of the ring reflects it.  I don't think the price of the ring would determine a longer marriage.

• Love 15
15 hours ago, lulu69 said:

A carat wouldn't be meek, just like Jinger.

Took my son for a haircut today & had some time to kill. Luckily the salon had the US JinJer issue (bc I would never actually purchase it). Jer claims he knew the instant he saw the ring, that was the ring for Jin and daddy KJB & Bin agreed.

Uh..... isn't that approximately the most generic ring on the planet? One medium-sized diamond stuck up on a platinum prong? What does it say when somebody (and crew) is magically struck by that being the perfect ring for you? That if you were wearing a mask they couldn't pick you out of a crowd of a billion other women and might not even bother to? Oh, wait ....

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 7
9 hours ago, Absolom said:

It's all driven by the diamond industry I fear.  They used to shill .5 carat as the "standard."

I agree. It does seem, though, that at least there is beginning to be a tiny backlash against the diamond industry with some people opting for rings with other stones. I don't remember what the "standard" was when I got engaged...my husband picked out the stone for my ring after looking at quite a number of diamonds in a number of different stores. It's only about a third of a carat, but flawless "just like you" as he said when he gave it to me. I think he might have discovered a few flaws in me in the 32 or so years since then, though. 

Frankly, I don't know how much I would like anything bigger anyway. Even at 1/3 of a carat it sometimes gets in the way. I also have a ring guard that flanks it with a couple of tiny sapphires and diamond chips, so it looks really pretty anyway.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
added a thought
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Uh..... isn't that approximately the most generic ring on the planet? One medium-sized diamond stuck up on a platinum prong? What does it say when somebody (and crew) is magically struck by that being the perfect ring for you? That if you were wearing a mask they couldn't pick you out of a crowd of a billion other women and might not even bother to? Oh, wait ....

My thoughts exactly. But then I am to a diamond or even engagement ring person. Much more important things in a relationship.

• Love 2

Regarding ring size - we opted for a smaller diamond with better clarity and a simpler setting because the larger ones/settings looked ridiculous on my hand. 

It is smart to buy what you can afford and what is appropriate to the wearer.  I think rings too big for the hand look ridiculous. And for her being so petite this ring suits her. 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, JoanArc said:

If only intimate = no filming. Crazy talk, I know.

Aaaaaaaaaaand it would also mean no recaps of Boob and Chelle's wedding...or the SmugAnna, Muffy-Scruffy, or Binessa nuptials. This is Jingers wedding, peepul! No doubt Jessa or Jill or both will be waddling down the aisle with a dress drawing attention to their bellies, I mean countenances...

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Defrauder said:

I never really felt that the size of the diamond defined the beauty of a ring, but the proportion and setting and design.  Some people prefer white gold or  yellow gold or a combination.  I swear there are some gorgeous diamond rings at Walmart.  Some of the designs are really unique, some are classic, and a great wedding set can be had for under $300-$400.   It all depends on how one looks at the meaning of it.  Some brides may feel they want a ring that is at least in the several thousand dollar range because after all it's their ring for life (or so they hope), others may see it as more of a symbol of commitment where price is less relevant than a ring they find beautiful.  I wonder if someone did a study - the length of a marriage and how the price of the ring reflects it.  I don't think the price of the ring would determine a longer marriage.

http://magazine.foxnews.com/love/size-your-engagement-ring-can-predict-divorce-study-says

• Love 3

Aaaaaaaaaaand it would also mean no recaps of Boob and Chelle's wedding...

Nancy Daniels is building a time machine in her basement so she can send a camera crew back for video footage.

(Am I crazy - but I remember Jim Bob and Michelle saying they play an audio tape of their wedding every year on their anniversary for all the kids to hear?)

1 hour ago, JoanArc said:

Nancy Daniels is building a time machine in her basement so she can send a camera crew back for video footage.

(Am I crazy - but I remember Jim Bob and Michelle saying they play an audio tape of their wedding every year on their anniversary for all the kids to hear?)

Funny what passes for entertainment in the Duggar home.

• Love 5
On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 9:28 PM, Malvina said:

How sad would you be if you were praying for a spouse and you get Jeremy? A washed up soccer "star" (not really) who in retirement is looking for a meek wife and help from TLC and JB's fame to launch his fundie ministry in Laredo Texas -- esp. if in your heart of hearts you wanted sophisticated man living in a big city.

When they say they want an "intimate" wedding, I suspect that means that Jeremy is a bit shocked that in fundie-land there aren't any invites and rather it's just an open cattle call, so fundies from around the country hitch up their trailers and bring their 10 kids to your wedding so that their child may meet their intended, all for the handy-dandy cost of the blender you picked up at Walmart as a gift; and thus you can end up with a 1000 people you don't know at your wedding. He's from somewhere where you actually invite those you want. So "intimate" to them may just mean invited guests -- meaning 400-500 people that one of them has met/talked to at least once before, rather than complete strangers. A 400-500 person wedding (with an exclusive invite list) IS small in fundie-land. I believe the last Bates girl who got married -- either Michaela or Alyssa -- she and her groom are a bit more shy and didn't want the 1000 people weddings their siblings had and in fact ended up with a "smaller" 500 person wedding. Kelly Bates also explained that in these fundie families, even with an open call, you get WAY more guests when the first or second daughter gets married and after that interest dwindles so people are less likely driving to you from Idaho or wherever.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, Portia said:
18 hours ago, Portia said:

I don't understand how  receiving a certain size ring as a gift from a man is a reasonable metric of a woman  "making something out of herself."

Oh Portia, I didn't mean it that way . I meant that Jinger & him are  "celebrities",   so that, I don't know, there  might be a nicer ring?

I do think that it's pretty. 

I'm talking; about 2 different things here, tho.  I was hoping that Jinger would escape, to the city, BY HERSELF.  Not with a husband who is going to knock her up asap.

Just my opinion.

• Love 6

How does wearing these kinds of rings even work in daily life? I'm from a country where the traditional engagement rings (both get them and pick them out together) tend to be plain gold bands, maybe with an inset stone for the woman though that's a fairly recent developement, and the US tradition of big bling rings with protruding, sharply cut diamonds just seem so impractical. I own a couple of rings with that kind of setting and I literally never use them because they always snag on things and the stones keeps getting turned around and they're just annoying.

• Love 9
On 8/17/2016 at 2:42 PM, Sew Sumi said:

I think this is the best look we've had of Jinger's ring. So, it's a princess cut in white gold. Sorry for the sucky filter; the little girls who run this page deleted tons of pictures and only post in this awful framey filter now. 

this is posting twice and not the comment I was going to respond to.  Oh well! 

I wanted to comment about the size of her ring.  I have a hand me down diamond.  It was found by my husbands grandmother at a Liberace concert.  It isn't very big but very good quality.  We were very poor and 22 when we got married 25 years ago so we had that put into a setting we liked.  I stopped wearing it a year or so ago and began wearing a ring of my grandmothers.  Not because I no longer liked it, I need to take it to the jeweler and I am lazy.

I don't think a smaller diamond is bad or indicative of his feelings.  If that is all they can afford (I know its not all the Duggars can afford) rock on.  The size of the stone is the least of their worries.  

• Love 10
47 minutes ago, Vaysh said:

How does wearing these kinds of rings even work in daily life? 

It depends on the woman. Some wear their full set everyday, others wear their diamonds for dressier occasions and go with a plain band for regular wear. I have an e-ring and two eternity bands that are soldered together into one set, so I either wear the whole thing or nothing at all.

Overall I like Jinger's ring. I think it would look pretty paired up with a sparkly band, but I can see her going for something simple. As long as she's happy with it that's all that counts.

• Love 3

I just wanna say that diamond rings are stupid. Unless you're raised to obsess and fetishize weddings/marriage and the accoutrements, you're not going to care about the details. 

These diamonds impress me due to the tininess and skill

WOLINSKY_DiamondStrawberry.jpg

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Tress said:

Oh Portia, I didn't mean it that way . I meant that Jinger & him are  "celebrities",   so that, I don't know, there  might be a nicer ring?

I do think that it's pretty. 

I'm talking; about 2 different things here, tho.  I was hoping that Jinger would escape, to the city, BY HERSELF.  Not with a husband who is going to knock her up asap.

Just my opinion.

That makes sense. I hope I didn't come off as snotty. 

• Love 1

Lawd have mercy, someone send Jeremy (it's not fun that his name already starts with a J. J'Jeremy? No?) some Lemony Flutter cuticle butter from Lush. Stat.

On 8/17/2016 at 5:42 PM, Sew Sumi said:

I think this is the best look we've had of Jinger's ring. So, it's a princess cut in white gold. Sorry for the sucky filter; the little girls who run this page deleted tons of pictures and only post in this awful framey filter now. 

On 8/19/2016 at 3:24 PM, Missy Vixen said:

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Vaysh said:

How does wearing these kinds of rings even work in daily life? I'm from a country where the traditional engagement rings (both get them and pick them out together) tend to be plain gold bands, maybe with an inset stone for the woman though that's a fairly recent developement, and the US tradition of big bling rings with protruding, sharply cut diamonds just seem so impractical. I own a couple of rings with that kind of setting and I literally never use them because they always snag on things and the stones keeps getting turned around and they're just annoying.

Now that you said it, it's true. It's the same here I Just realised. Wedding or engagement rings are just "plain" bands. Wearing jewels would be an almighty inconvenience after all. How will she run after the litter of a dozen she'll soon have with that?

Jeremy's hands are truly disgusting though. Once they've set up their wedding pressies registry, I hope some hand cream is included

Next year at this time Jinger will probably be pregnant.  Unless the entire Duggar clan fades off into the sunset and TLC cancels them for another scandal of some kind, they'll be filming the arrival of the new addition. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Defrauder said:

Next year at this time Jinger will probably be pregnant.  Unless the entire Duggar clan fades off into the sunset and TLC cancels them for another scandal of some kind, they'll be filming the arrival of the new addition. 

Huh? She'll have given birth and likely be pregnant with a second.

• Love 4

It's nice that they have storylines -- they'll drag out a whole season; at the end of it show that Jinger's been asked to court; then the next season will be courtship and engagement; and then another season for wedding planning + wedding. So if they handle this the way they usually do, they just bought themselves 4 seasons. BUT the issue is money. Last season I think there were NO sponsors. Literally every ad was for another TLC program. TLC carried them for a season, but if the sponsors haven't changed their minds and decided to come back -- TLC won't continue to carry them forever regardless of how many loser guys they find to court their daughters or how many babies their daughters pop out.

• Love 4

Jessa could be pregnant, Jinger soon will be, and Jill can get in on the act, too. I honestly think we'll see a triple pregnancy to gin up ratings. Maybe a 4 way if Amy's on board. JimBob's eyes must loom lie, dollar signs.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

Jessa could be pregnant, Jinger soon will be, and Jill can get in on the act, too. I honestly think we'll see a triple pregnancy to gin up ratings. Maybe a 4 way if Amy's on board. JimBob's eyes must loom lie, dollar signs.

Not to mention Anna. Five-way.

Also, is there a Guinness world record for number of people supported in a single household where noone actually works for a living?

• Love 10
On 8/20/2016 at 4:53 AM, Churchhoney said:

The only slightly unusual thing about that ring is the fact it's a princess cut.

IMHO of course. My husband didn't go into debt for my ring. It's a split shank with seven channel set diamonds, D-E color, VVSI 1 clarity, .99 total weight, in thick 14K gold. It was designed by a goldsmith. Yes, I'm a diamond snob. I preferred "smaller and perfect" instead of "It's more than a carat but I can still see the miners chipping away in there." At the same time, I'm sure my ring was less expensive (22 years ago) in comparison to Jinger's and people still ask me where we got it from and comment on how stunning it is. Take that, Bin. And KJB.

Just throwing this one out here: Jeremy wouldn't be interested in anyone who was actually unique.

• Love 5
On 8/19/2016 at 2:24 PM, Missy Vixen said:

IMHO, YMMV, I'm old and cranky...

This guy is a former pro soccer player and he could only come up with a .75 carat engagement ring? Really? It's lovely, but it should be a carat unless he is an absolute cheapskate.

Then again, I'm going with "absolute cheapskate" FTW.

Pro soccer players in the US don't make THAT much, and I dont think he was like one of the top players even

That being said, I think the ring is nice. High setting though, it will def get in the way

Also I think weddings are way more interesting than babies as far as TV storylines, especially if Jinjer has a sit down fancy wedding

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Malvina said:

CqdvWBoWYAAh_7K.jpg

Starbucks, how original.  Maybe they should throw away the empties in the back seat before purchasing more.  On that note, maybe that's what the large garbage bag in the way back is full of...1,536 empty Starbucks cups.  Either that, or that's how they smuggle Josh from place to place.

• Love 22

Hannie is starting to look like Josiah. Jinger would look really pretty if she didn't wear eyeliner that implied she turns tricks for twenty bucks a pop.

I also agree that Starbucks selfies are so 2012. Get with the times, Duggars.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

I also agree that Starbucks selfies are so 2012. Get with the times, Duggars.

They're probably getting paid for them.

5 hours ago, yogi2014L said:

That being said, I think the ring is nice. High setting though, it will def get in the way

I asked for a channel set ring because I was really afraid of popping a solitaire out of the setting while I was doing dishes or whatever.

It's a good thing Janarella doesn't have a high-set solitaire ring yet. How on earth would she still be able to do all the work at the TTH and Benessa's house if she did?

• Love 1