Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E07: Hawaiian Vacation Erupts

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

With this body!

Urijah-Faber.jpg

I'm convinced men have special mirrors that say "hey, lookin' good".  That's my only explanation for toupees and banana hammocks on 70 year old men.  I think this is what his special mirror says to him every morning.  And don't get me started on the mirror that likes his Pebbles Flintstone hair.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, BlackWidow said:

Aside from all that , I found more pics of Maddie's wedding on her pal's twitter https://twitter.com/dezireemirage

In the background pic it looks like they have matching tats but I can't see what it says, and it looks like it's not in English.

Can this crew get even more insane? I bet they can.

Wow...that's some boobiledge showing for a "modest is hottest" Brown girl.

Years ago I attended the wedding of a very good friend of my husband's.  His lovely bride must not have bent over in her wedding gown in front of a mirror because when they made their way around to the tables during dinner to greet their guests she instantly became the front and center for every man at the table.  If you had the right seat you could see everything...

Girls....always bend over in your gown in front of a mirror before taking that dress home!!

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Roslyn said:

Wow...that's some boobiledge showing for a "modest is hottest" Brown girl.

Years ago I attended the wedding of a very good friend of my husband's.  His lovely bride must not have bent over in her wedding gown in front of a mirror because when they made their way around to the tables during dinner to greet their guests she instantly became the front and center for every man at the table.  If you had the right seat you could see everything...

Girls....always bend over in your gown in front of a mirror before taking that dress home!!

This is why I hate the strapless/sweetheart trend. There are just way too many dresses that are a wardrobe malfunction waiting to happen. You spend a lot of time moving, bending, hugging, etc. in your wedding dress. Make sure the "girls" are covered and kept in place.

• Love 5

In one picture I saw she was turning to the side and the dress didn't turn with her - her boobs were facing one way and the bodice of the dress another.  Really bad fit on that thing.  And I agree, the strapless/sweetheart thing is just not meant for anyone not flat-chested.  Plus it is so damned ubiquitous.  You'd think that when you grew up with a gazillion siblings you'd want something unusual, not run of the mill.

• Love 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Okay, I LOVED me some Andy Gibb, and I was all prepared to yell and shake my fist at the comparison...but I kind of get it now.  But Kody wishes his frizzy, thinning caveman coif looked as good as Andy's.

I find it really sad that Mykelti feels like she has to rush into marriage before her other brothers and sisters get there in order to have a decent share of attention from Kody.  If that's the case, Truely is going to have to get married in kindergarten.

Ok well here's a couple 70's teen idols and the geico caveman, the last being probably more accurate during his psycho happy/crazy/angry wedding shoot retrospective... If the geico guy retires, they should totally get kody to do it.

loolcaveman.jpg

Shaun.jpg

leifblue.jpg

Edited by BlackWidow
deleted extra pic
  • Love 3

Not only was the dress not fitted properly and looked to me to be the wrong size to begin with, she wasn't wearing the proper undergarments under it.  Wearing a wedding gown is not the day to stint on spending the money on a proper foundation.  It shows and when it's bad, it's really bad. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 3:06 PM, Celia Rubenstein said:

It hadn't occurred to me that Kody might have been peeved about the less than stellar accommodations. But it makes total sense.  He probably thought he was going to get a fancy, all-expenses paid trip to Hawaii and then he got dropped off at a place that should be featured on Hotel Impossible and a bus pass to go use the community beach. LOL!  And you know it was not just that it was not a nice place to stay - he had to stay there on TV, which was a little embarrassing.   He wants to front like he was paying for the trip but they made it look like THAT was the best he could do, haha. He must resent TLC like hell for sticking them in that place.  

That is an interesting angle.  God knows it doesn't take much to make the Kodester pout, so lackluster accommodations would definitely do it.  That plays into what I was originally going to say about dipshit's behavior, since he basically stole the show this week.  Inside that thick skull, he sees himself as a cool, manly "bro" type.  When he made the comment about not having to claim Meri and Janelle during the eyebrow hijinks, it hit me that he probably thinks he's deserving of a younger, "hotter" set of wives more befitting of his celeb status (Bwhahaha).  Even Sobyn's newness has to be wearing off.  Whatever the case may be, his delusions cause all kinds of secondhand embarrassment.

Then... the pork rant... Our Cro-Magnon browed asshat took me to a new level of hate watching.  "Piss off"? Did he punch a pillow, too?  Logan handled him masterfully.  I sometimes wonder if the Kodester isn't a bit jealous of Logan's life.  Sad as it is, I find it kind of interesting to observe the many, varied ways Kody isn't close to each of the kids.  That vacant, beady-eyed stare in response to Maddie's request spoke volumes.  (ETA: I guess that could have been his "What will I wear?!  I look terrible in khakis!" face)

Finally, the preview of Kodouche flipping off "haters" on next week's episode (again with his maaaad face) cracked me up.  My, aren't we becoming the edgy one. LOL

Edited by LunchBreak
  • Love 8

He was wearing his Manson eyes when he told Meri and Jenelle he didn't have to claim them. I am trying to recall if I have ever seen evidence that he has a true sense of humor. He can be charming and good-humored at times, but good humor is not a sense of humor. 

• Love 5

Words cannot express how much I loathe the Browns' season-ending "tell-alls."  No actual "telling" is ever done, as the interviewers always go light and fluffy on the Browns, never hit the really hard questions, and the Browns put on their fake "serious" faces and dance around the answers.  Meanwhile, we're going to have to be subjected once again to watching Robyn wipe goo out of her eyes and examine it.  Christine will giggle and have several flippant, breathy answers, Meri's forehead frown line will be on full display as she struggles mightily to "dill with her fillings," eyes darting every which way.  Janelle will remain completely neutral and expressionless, except when she's praising Kody's awesomeness...and Kody will sit there, stone-face and beady-eyed, rage simmering just beneath the surface.  Nothing will be revealed, and 90% of the show will be flashbacks.

And YES I WILL WATCH and hate myself for doing so.

• Love 23
14 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

This is why I hate the strapless/sweetheart trend. There are just way too many dresses that are a wardrobe malfunction waiting to happen. You spend a lot of time moving, bending, hugging, etc. in your wedding dress. Make sure the "girls" are covered and kept in place.

My own wedding gown had short sleeves, but this was before the strapless trend really got huge.  To me, it would just be downright uncomfortable, since the bodice has to be pretty snug to keep the top up.  I could've totally seen Maddie in something more flowing and layered, more of the bohemian looks she was going for.  She's adorable and feisty and her dress, while pretty, didn't seem to fit her personality.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, BlackWidow said:

In the background pic it looks like they have matching tats but I can't see what it says, and it looks like it's not in English.

It appears to mean "I'll be there for you" in Italian.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Words cannot express how much I loathe the Browns' season-ending "tell-alls."  No actual "telling" is ever done, as the interviewers always go light and fluffy on the Browns, never hit the really hard questions, and the Browns put on their fake "serious" faces and dance around the answers.  Meanwhile, we're going to have to be subjected once again to watching Robyn wipe goo out of her eyes and examine it.  Christine will giggle and have several flippant, breathy answers, Meri's forehead frown line will be on full display as she struggles mightily to "dill with her fillings," eyes darting every which way.  Janelle will remain completely neutral and expressionless, except when she's praising Kody's awesomeness...and Kody will sit there, stone-face and beady-eyed, rage simmering just beneath the surface.  Nothing will be revealed, and 90% of the show will be flashbacks.

I am grateful to those willing to sit through this crap to let us know if there is actually anything "told". I wonder if there is any chance they will ask Kody if he thinks his divorcing Meri in favor of Robyn and subsequent ignoring Meri contributed at all to her looking for companionship somewhere else. 

Nope.... that would be completely unacceptable to confront King Butt Munch

• Love 6
4 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Well, you just gave away all the surprises LOL!

I, too, will watch. I'll feel a little dirty for it, but it helps to think of it as fulfilling the "hater" role.  When the Kodester flips us off, I'd like to think everyone here played a part.

• Love 15

I agree, Maddie's dress didn't seem to fit right. I had a strapless dress at my wedding but no sweetheart neckline and it fit me like a glove (sigh, if only it did now). But, more than that, it didn't really go with her Bohemian theme. I would've gone with something flowing and light.

• Love 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, Zanne said:

It appears to mean "I'll be there for you" in Italian.

This made the "Friends" theme pop into my head. I'd like to dump Kody into a fountain. "Argh, my hair!!!"

yeah, we're haters, Kody. You make it so easy. Dill with it 

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 9
On June 20, 2016 at 9:56 AM, mlsmit7 said:

Mormons definitly aren't supposed to have alcohol, but didn't the Brown women try alcohol in an earlier episode? 

I remember one episode, I think they were shopping for dresses for the commitment ceremony and were in San Francisco and at least a couple of them had a beer.  I was surprised too when Logan and Maddie and their significant others went out for dinner on this trip, they all appeared to have a drink.  I think one of them said they wanted a Mai Tai. 

Logan said some time ago he was no longer religious.  His girlfriend is not Mormon, Caleb is not Mormon, and presumably neither is Maddie now.

They are all adults, and there is nothing wrong with them having a drink even if Logan and Maddie's parents don't drink. 

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

Logan said some time ago he was no longer religious.  His girlfriend is not Mormon, Caleb is not Mormon, and presumably neither is Maddie now.

They are all adults, and there is nothing wrong with them having a drink even if Logan and Maddie's parents don't drink. 

Logan and Michelle said they wanted Mai Tais on the beach. Maddie's not 21 yet though so I doubt she was drinking on camera.

• Love 1
On 6/22/2016 at 0:49 PM, Alapaki said:

The place they stayed is the one that got a really shitty deal.   we only saw the outside of the building, which frankly looked like the place where the cops finally corner the serial killer amongst his crawl-space full of bodies.  There's GOT to be more to that place that they never bothered showing.

OMG I was thinking the same thing...like THE COMPOUND or something!

• Love 2
7 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

Caleb is not Mormon but he's very adjacent to their cult. With how he is partnering up with Kody, I wouldn't be surprised if Caleb starts to consider going plural. 

• Love 1

I had a cousin that converted to being a Mormon when he was about 45 or so.  His wife did not convert.  He was very upset that she still drank coffee AND ate bacon.  He was seriously considering divorcing her over the fact that she still did this. At that point, I thought that perhaps Mormons did have a prohibition on eating pork since my cousin had such a fit about his wife eating bacon.

• Love 1

This show has run its course, and they are going to have to come up with some new drama to get viewers to stick around.  Tired of the same old/same old.  To liven it up -- Kody needs to start courting a fifth wife and watch the fireworks with Robyn having 100 reasons why he shouldn't.   Meri finally leaves -- there is nothing holding here there unless she is so invested in the other children she can't leave them.  Since she is not related to them in any way, if she leaves King Kody, I doubt he will let her see them again unless the ones over 18 do it on their own.   Janelle won't go anywhere.  Christine won't go anywhere.  Robyn now has 5 kids under 18, and a  "free ride" so she isn't going anywhere.  It's too bad that TLC can't show us what life is like for the Browns after the TLC money stops rolling in because TLC would have to pay them, defeating the purpose of such a show.   Maybe some "spies" would spill to the media about the foreclosed houses, arguments about money, Janelle and Christine have to live in the same house, etc.

• Love 3
On 6/20/2016 at 0:40 AM, RedheadZombie said:

I'm a little disturbed at how happy Caleb seems to be about following Kody around.  He's like a yes-man.  I suspect if Maddie wasn't so anti-polygamy, Caleb could possibly be talked into it.  

I dont think Caleb is the polygamist type. Caleb was a young BIL to Kody's brother Curtis, who passed away. Curtis became a Christian (nob-denominational, Bible type) along with his wife's family (Caleb's family), and was clear that he was not a plig. I think Caleb looked up to Curtis, and now looks up to Curtis' big brother. 

• Love 2

A little OT, but I just watched Little People Big World where the Roloffs also went on vacation to the Big Island. They stayed at a gorgeous Hilton resort, went on a sunset whale watching sail, swam with dolphins, went parasailing and for a helicopter ride. I think Kody may be making an irate call to someone at TLC right now if he saw it! 

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, absolutelyido said:

A little OT, but I just watched Little People Big World where the Roloffs also went on vacation to the Big Island. They stayed at a gorgeous Hilton resort, went on a sunset whale watching sail, swam with dolphins, went parasailing and for a helicopter ride. I think Kody may be making an irate call to someone at TLC right now if he saw it! 

The Roloffs didn't require airfare for 26 or so people!

• Love 4
(edited)
10 hours ago, absolutelyido said:

I bet Kody is mad. He doesn't see the fact that he chose to have 15 kids with 4 women plus adopt 3 more as something that will affect their ability to do things. We have 3 kids and it means we have less money than people with the same income who only have 1 or no kids. It's just reality. But for Kody it makes him special and entitled. There is no budget. There is no restraint. There is nothing that his amazing family doesn't deserve. I bet he's fuming. 

And although I don't know for sure, I bet that the Roloffs are bringing in more viewers than the Kody clan which would also justify more expense on the part of TLC. But again, Kody probably doesn't understand how that could be either. 

Edited by 3girlsforus
  • Love 3
(edited)

I think the Roloffs Hawaii show was filmed/aired some time ago. Then again I might be wrong - I thought they were off the air except for specials until just now!!! (Caveat - I only watched a couple episodes)

the Gosselins (when it was still Jon & Kate) went to Hawaii and they also got the 5 star treatment like the Roloffs did. 

I think the difference here is that at the time of filming both the Roloffs and Gosselins were popular/well liked. Not that they didn't have their detractors, but for the most part they were popular and admired. 

However, TLC and the production company are fully aware (I'm sure) that their biggest audience is the snark audience who wants to see Kody, Robyn and Meri make buffoons of themselves, so off they went to Jonestown...

also, I think at the time of the earlier two shows, TLC was able to obtain discounts/freebies in exchange for visibility promo plugs on the air. That was in the earlier days of this reality stuff. I think merchants have learned that being on a show doesn't necessarily equate to business. I get the idea that the Hawaii lodging owners aren't exactly rolling in dough. I'm sure they asked for the regular rate plus extra to have to deal with filming. Would you really want to book your next Hawaiian vacation there after seeing the episode?!?

Edited by DakotaJustice
More thoughts after I hit submit, as usual.
  • Love 2
33 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

I think the Roloffs Hawaii show was filmed/aired some time ago. Then again I might be wrong - I thought they were off the air except for specials until just now!!! (Caveat - I only watched a couple episodes)

the Gosselins (when it was still Jon & Kate) went to Hawaii and they also got the 5 star treatment like the Roloffs did. 

I think the difference here is that at the time of filming both the Roloffs and Gosselins were popular/well liked. Not that they didn't have their detractors, but for the most part they were popular and admired. 

However, TLC and the production company are fully aware (I'm sure) that their biggest audience is the snark audience who wants to see Kody, Robyn and Meri make buffoons of themselves, so off they went to Jonestown...

also, I think at the time of the earlier two shows, TLC was able to obtain discounts/freebies in exchange for visibility promo plugs on the air. That was in the earlier days of this reality stuff. I think merchants have learned that being on a show doesn't necessarily equate to business. I get the idea that the Hawaii lodging owners aren't exactly rolling in dough. I'm sure they asked for the regular rate plus extra to have to deal with filming. Would you really want to book your next Hawaiian vacation there after seeing the episode?!?

I agree with all of this but I don't think it would matter to Kody. I think he's probably pissed. Logic, popularity, return on investment, etc don't matter to him. I think seeing anyone from TLC being treated to better perks is going to make him seethe. The Roloffs have been to Hawaii several times, although I don't know if TLC paid for all of them, but judging from the commercials from this latest trip it was at least semi-recent. They are divorced and the kids are married so that is at least in the last year or so. I don't watch the show either but that's my impression from the commercials. 

And to answer your question... no I would not want to vacation at that place the Browns stayed. I have to admit it's the first time I've ever seen a show on Hawaii that didn't make me yearn to go, and I've seen shows about camping in Hawaii. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, DakotaJustice said:

Heh.  The place really did look like a compound rather than a resort.

Funny how Kody tried to call it a place that has corporate retreats.  If I worked for a company that put me up in a hostel with crowing roosters, yelping dogs, and walls thin enough for me to hear Marge from accounting getting drilled, I'd be getting my resume spruced up.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

Well I saw online somewhere that they do yoga retreats there but probably just ones the owner runs. I have several friends who are yoga instructors and do retreats, the places are rustic but much nicer than this one!

Also i don't even have cable TV now, haven't for some time so I'm a bit out of the loop - last Roloffs show I saw was a special on a wedding farm they were running, so I had assumed that they were off the air except for specials.

If the trip to Hawaii was free, I wouldn't complain about accommodations.  When we went to Hawaii (at our own expense) we couldn't afford a luxury hotel, but it didn't matter because we were only in the room to shower, dress, and sleep.  I hope all the kids had fun despite Kody's ridiculous attempts to create drama and show himself as the big kahuna.  

• Love 6
12 hours ago, MonicaM said:

I hope all the kids had fun despite Kody's ridiculous attempts to create drama and show himself as the big kahuna.  

According to Aurora, they had the most AH-MAZING time. 

• Love 3

Including the family and friends they hide from the cameras as well as crew members (and their partners?), they most likely traveled in a pack of 30-35.  If you're traveling with a brood of that size with the intention of staying under the same roof, you have to take what you can get within your budget. As an adult traveler of means, I wouldn't stay there but it's still a fun place to be. 

I'm curious as to which family members actually slept in the rental. I wouldn't be surprised if Meri had a hotel room that she shared with her friend. Probably on another island. Ha. 

48 minutes ago, CofCinci said:

Including the family and friends they hide from the cameras as well as crew members (and their partners?), they most likely traveled in a pack of 30-35.  If you're traveling with a brood of that size with the intention of staying under the same roof, you have to take what you can get within your budget. As an adult traveler of means, I wouldn't stay there but it's still a fun place to be. 

I'm curious as to which family members actually slept in the rental. I wouldn't be surprised if Meri had a hotel room that she shared with her friend. Probably on another island. Ha. 

I still think they only stayed there for 2-3 nights max for the filming, then went somewhere else for the rest of the week with Meri and perhaps Mariah staying at her friend's house.

13 hours ago, MonicaM said:

If the trip to Hawaii was free, I wouldn't complain about accommodations.  When we went to Hawaii (at our own expense) we couldn't afford a luxury hotel, but it didn't matter because we were only in the room to shower, dress, and sleep.  I hope all the kids had fun despite Kody's ridiculous attempts to create drama and show himself as the big kahuna.  

well....it's complicated.  I know one shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth, but personally, if I can't get a good night's rest at a free flop (barking dogs, crowing roosters, "drilling", crappy mattress, whatever), I'll pay to stay elsewhere.  That said, there are some really excellent, modestly priced options on Airbnb.  Besides, the venue looks a bit remote for me...if I can't walk to the beach, shopping, restaurants etc then I'd select another option (one of the reviewers on TripAdvisor said it would take 4 hours to walk to/from the beach - yikes!)

On June 20, 2016 at 9:43 PM, AZChristian said:

"That was also a piss poor luau. I figured they'd go to the beach and do the tourist version which would have been more engaging."

("Quote" function doesn't like me today.)

I'd be willing to bet that when TLC saw how LITTLE was happening in spite of all the money it cost to send this crew to Hawaii, they were unwilling to foot the bill for 28 people to go to a nice tourist luau.  One that I checked out would have been about $2500 plus tips for the Brown mob.  If TLC wasn't paying, and the luau wouldn't comp them (why would they?), they weren't going to spend that kind of money on their own.  (Credit cards are probably close to maxed out again.)  So TLC probably gave the retreat owners some money to put together something reasonably priced.m 

Which could have even been the reason for him being so pissy about it. He was acting like a teenager, 'well, if they don't give me a good luau, I'm not gonna go!, Nyah!' Shrug, just a thought. I like your idea, AZ, I think is WAS a low-rent luau. Even Mamma's Family had a glossier one, lol! We never know what's really going on behind the scenes, and so much goes on!

"That was also a piss poor luau. I figured they'd go to the beach and do the tourist version which would have been more engaging."

I'd be willing to bet that when TLC saw how LITTLE was happening in spite of all the money it cost to send this crew to Hawaii, they were unwilling to foot the bill for 28 people to go to a nice tourist luau.  One that I checked out would have been about $2500 plus tips for the Brown mob.  If TLC wasn't paying, and the luau wouldn't comp them (why would they?), they weren't going to spend that kind of money on their own.  (Credit cards are probably close to maxed out again.)  So TLC probably gave the retreat owners some money to put together something reasonably priced.m 

Which could have even been the reason for him being so pissy about it. He was acting like a teenager, 'well, if they don't give me a good luau, I'm not gonna go!, Nyah!' Shrug, just a thought. I like your idea, AZ, I think is WAS a low-rent luau. Even Mamma's Family had a glossier one, lol! We never know what's really going on behind the scenes, and so much goes on!

• Love 1