Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
saoirse

S02.E03: Guerilla

Recommended Posts

I'm really not into people's abuse histories being manipulated and survivors being humiliated in public and called liars just to get your fucking ratings up on some tv show. The cruelty is just too much. And both Quinn and Chet are disgusting sexist people/sexist stereotypes that I have no interest in watching. Like emotional abuse and sexual harassment, constant 24/7 references to people's genitalia is somehow acceptable behavior. Like any low-quality reality show is going to spend the money required (and that obstacle course is really expensive!) to make two different versions of every episode. I just don't care enough to watch these abusive assholes anymore, regardless of their gender.

Edited by Glade
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

Brandy deserved to end up in the hole.  She could have killed Chantal - who the heck cares about legal stuff when Chantal could have easily sued her and all of Everlasting for EVERYTHING.  Brandy could legitimately go to jail - where they'd lock her up in a holding cell or an interrogation room with a one way mirror.  So eff her abuse issues when she nearly killed someone.  That was absolutely crazy.  She didn't just accidentally make Chantal fall - she GRABBED HER LEG and tossed her off the wall!  LOL - I could give two effs about her distress in the hole.  She needed to be locked up.  Honestly - it would either be that or locked up in a cell at the police department for assualt or attempted murder.

Whew.

Darius is clearly here to make a PR payday for himself since he clearly has a season ending injury.  He's totally a player.

I actually think Quinn will surprise us - because whether she likes it or not, she needs Rachel.  And she NEEDS to let Rachel run with the show and Quinn needs to level up and act like an EP.  Her jumping down in the weeds is counter-productive.  So I think we will see Rachel and Quinn teaming up eventually to take Coleman down and Gary or whatever douche-exec's name is.  My hope is that we don't know they are working together - we just see it all come together in the end.

Right now, Ruby is my favorite girl and I think Darius really likes her too.  And she's completely right about Confederate Flag Girl - she's a racist.  She doesn't see Darius as a whole person - his "blackness" is excused because he's an NFL Quarterback.  She'd bolt the minute she found out his career was over anyway.  And yeah - Ruby likes him.  I'm unhappy about that because she's bound to be destroyed by this show - no way she'd be the last girl standing.  But I really am interested in seeing how she takes her brains and comes out on top.  She's super smart - and she's right, all of them are "too smart for" this show.  Well, they should be.

Chet should end up in jail - but he has money so...

Coleman and Rachel do have chemistry, but it would have been more explosive (like with Adam) if they'd built up to it more.  They could have laid the foundation with this episode and seen a couple of steamy looks first (like with Adam) before just jumping to this.  They didn't give Shiri the chance to do her chemistry magic when the guy was just on her so fast.  I still like them way better than Rachel/Jeremy, but they can do better at giving them some angst.  I think the Adam angst was 50% of their chemistry because they were always resisting one another until they finally gave in.

I don't know what Coleman's deal is, but I think the documentary expose is not far off the mark.

This episode felt more like last season and I like that.  More please!

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

I'm starting to like Ruby. Her line delivery in that confrontation with the racist girl was fantastic. I'm interested in this whole "I'm a pretty girl, mama" angle they're starting to push. We'll see where it goes.

Chantal feels like a secret weapon. I'm waiting for them to deploy her.

Yael and racist girl continue to bore me.

It's a shame we got rid of Brandy so quickly but I liked seeing Rachel and Quinn get back to manipulating the contestants.

Darius is still nowhere near as interesting as Adam but let's see what they do with the injury. I do like seeing him be manipulative as well. They're definitely luckier than the actual Bachelor in finding suitors who can act and turn it on for the camera. ;) I expected to see something cliched that he was using to manage the pain in the final scene but maybe we'll get to that next week.

Ooh, Colman got interesting. Still a plot device, but as long as he's a useful one, why not? He's a bit like Jeremy season 1, tempting Rachel to leave Everlasting, but Colman's more on her level and he's tempting her with the possibility of making a meaningful show.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
37 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

I'm starting to like Ruby. Her line delivery in that confrontation with the racist girl was fantastic. I'm interested in this whole "I'm a pretty girl, mama" angle they're starting to push. We'll see where it goes.

Chantal feels like a secret weapon. I'm waiting for them to deploy her.

Yael and racist girl continue to bore me.

It's a shame we got rid of Brandy so quickly but I liked seeing Rachel and Quinn get back to manipulating the contestants.

Darius is still nowhere near as interesting as Adam but let's see what they do with the injury. I do like seeing him be manipulative as well. They're definitely luckier than the actual Bachelor in finding suitors who can act and turn it on for the camera. ;) I expected to see something cliched that he was using to manage the pain in the final scene but maybe we'll get to that next week.

Ooh, Colman got interesting. Still a plot device, but as long as he's a useful one, why not? He's a bit like Jeremy season 1, tempting Rachel to leave Everlasting, but Colman's more on her level and he's tempting her with the possibility of making a meaningful show.

Racist girl needs to make like an egg and beat it already.

Her only purpose is for Ruby to make fun of her.

I think Ruby is so pretty too.  When she pulled her hair back I thought she was....almost radiant.  I love a good weave as much as the next girl, but I think Ruby's beauty is just so unique.

Agree about Chantal, and I KNOW they have to be planning something for the muslim girl (she is still there, right?)

I think Darius is playing the game, but I think that sometimes he really isn't.  I don't think he was playing the game with Brandy.  I wonder if it will blow back on them though.  What is to keep the lady from central casting from calling TMZ with an anonymous tip?  I guess she signs an NDA, but still, a quick look at ACTUAL RECORDS (which Brandy could have released) would show that someone was lying.

I realize Coleman has dumb looking google glasses, but I'd still let him hit it....he is cute.  He would have to take off his glasses though, because...no.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

And while Coleman can't turn down a car...and I get that.....there is still a tiny part of me that is bitter about him gleefully taking credit where he absolutely didn't earn it.

That reminds me. It was interesting to see how the crew was like "say what now?" I wish they would do more with the frazzled guy who keeps bothering Rachel. He was the one who called Coleman/Gary a douche when Coleman was given the car. He doesn't seem to have a horse in the race. What's his life like doing this ridiculous job?

I don't need anyone to be producing anyone else in the Rachel/Coleman relationship. I just hope it builds and isn't instalove. Adam and Rachel had a lot of chemistry last year so that made sense. Neither of these two should have feelings for the other person yet.

Quote

Right now, Ruby is my favorite girl and I think Darius really likes her too.  And she's completely right about Confederate Flag Girl - she's a racist.  She doesn't see Darius as a whole person - his "blackness" is excused because he's an NFL Quarterback.

Agreed. Such a simple way of illustrating that idea. The show does well with those tiny moments. Even if she's OK with him, she still doesn't see him as a person. He's his job.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

It was interesting to see how the crew was like "say what now?" I wish they would do more with the frazzled guy who keeps bothering Rachel. He was the one who called Coleman/Gary a douche when Coleman was given the car. He doesn't seem to have a horse in the race. What's his life like doing this ridiculous job?

Yes, I'd like to see a little more character development with the crew. Doesn't have to be much, say the level of what we saw with Madison and Wagerstein last season. 

And yes, redneck girl is a dyed in the wool racist. Darius is "different" "not like other black people" so is ok to associate with. She sucks. Of course she fell for the Twitter line. She wanted to believe it so she did. That is Rachel's genius. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

This episode seemed a little more interesting to me.  I prefer watching these people produce a show rather than argue behind-the-scenes drama, but there are some weird dynamics going on with the production staff that I am curious about.  At this point, I really have no idea who is playing who is playing whom and to what end.  I expect a huge twist to come from this. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

Brandy deserved to end up in the hole.  She could have killed Chantal - who the heck cares about legal stuff when Chantal could have easily sued her and all of Everlasting for EVERYTHING.  Brandy could legitimately go to jail - where they'd lock her up in a holding cell or an interrogation room with a one way mirror.  So eff her abuse issues when she nearly killed someone.

I'm actually pretty sure Chantal would have signed the same contract that pretty much allows her to be murdered on camera with no legal liability to the show. So no, Chantal can't sue Everlasting for anything. And Brandy wouldn't go to jail for what at the end of the day was poor judgement and over competition. I mean, I am not overwhelmed with sympathy for Brandy - but did Chantal even need to see a doctor?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

Wait... did Chet just kidnap a baby at the end?  

EXACTLY! And those crazy eyes! 

I've been chosen for a reality show and the contract was insane! I wouldn't have rights to display my body in media for 5 years.  They actually said my image was theirs on not only earth, or the galaxy, but for all universe! A meditation clause was in it, along with a waiver of injury.  So yeah, they can put the woman "in the hole".

I hate her so much, but dang I loved when she shouted "I am so hard now!"  Totally crass, but she seems to have come up the ranks with the old boys club.   

Gary definitely is a part of the old boy club.  I think he's just being a dick to the women. 

Coleman is totally doing some exposě!  But I think Rachel is producing him. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, ZoloftBlob said:

I mean, I am not overwhelmed with sympathy for Brandy - but did Chantal even need to see a doctor?

For that kind of fall?  Absolutely.  Chantal lost consciousness after she hit the ground (we saw her lying flat on her back, completely still with her eyes shut), and losing consciousness is not something to be taken lightly.  It's a common sign for a brain injury, and those can be fatal. I mean that's how actress Natasha Richardson died.  She hit her head in a skiing accident, the resulting traumatic brain injury ended up killing her even though she was lucid and seemed fine right after the accident.  If she would have gone to the hospital for a thorough examination, she might be alive today.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I liked this episode a lot. I could tell who were the producers and who were the showrunners and everyone had their own role with understandable responsibilities and yay. Also loved seeing Quinn as a hands-on producer. You can see where Rachel learned some of her stuff.

What they did to Brandi was bad, but you could sort of see it coming, and for me, it doesn't compare, shock-wise, to what Rachel did to Anna last year. Since, as others have said, Brandi had an inciting incident of violence, which I think the show used as carte blanche to edit her how they wanted. I still think what happened to Anna was worse. To me, Brandi gave the producers rope and allowed them to hang her with it. Anna put the noose on like they told her it was a necklace.

I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't miss Adam at all. Not even a little bit. He was the suitor, not (in my opinion) Rachel's true love.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, RCharter said:

Racist girl needs to make like an egg and beat it already.

Her only purpose is for Ruby to make fun of her.

I think Ruby is so pretty too.  When she pulled her hair back I thought she was....almost radiant.  I love a good weave as much as the next girl, but I think Ruby's beauty is just so unique.

Agree about Chantal, and I KNOW they have to be planning something for the muslim girl (she is still there, right?)

I think Darius is playing the game, but I think that sometimes he really isn't.  I don't think he was playing the game with Brandy.  I wonder if it will blow back on them though.  What is to keep the lady from central casting from calling TMZ with an anonymous tip?  I guess she signs an NDA, but still, a quick look at ACTUAL RECORDS (which Brandy could have released) would show that someone was lying.

I realize Coleman has dumb looking google glasses, but I'd still let him hit it....he is cute.  He would have to take off his glasses though, because...no.

"the lady from central casting" bothers me more than the hole where Brandy was thrown. I mean, I get the hole, but either "from central casting" was a case of Quinn's sense of humour, and the woman was indeed the mother (good job on casting, BTW, because she totally looked like she could be Brandy's mother), or it was not a joke, and in this case I see more potential for a lawsuit with the defamation that THAT represents - wouldn't Brandy be able to sue the show and the network big time for this false representation? Quinn's "who'll believe her?" only rings true to me if that was indeed the real mother, otherwise I would think it could be easy for Brandy to go the media round with proof that she was indeed placed with successive foster families, which would demonstrate that the "real mom" was a fake.  

12 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Yes, I'd like to see a little more character development with the crew. Doesn't have to be much, say the level of what we saw with Madison and Wagerstein last season. 

And yes, redneck girl is a dyed in the wool racist. Darius is "different" "not like other black people" so is ok to associate with. She sucks. Of course she fell for the Twitter line. She wanted to believe it so she did. That is Rachel's genius

Not even, that was Madison's genius. When Madison, on her own, can pull the wool over your eyes, you know you're the gullible type :)

Thanks to this thread, I've learned what it means to "produce someone"! And about that, I'm not sure the new guy is not producing Rachel, after all he must know enough from his contacts and/or research to be able to give her and tell her what she needs so that she thinks she's producing him. At this stage, I tend to think he's producing her more than she's producing him.

My main complaint this season is that the Quinn/Rachel relationship is being diluted by other stuff. I love this relationship! (Please, show, don't do us a Good Wife and destroy or dilute a good female/female convo...) My secondary complain is we don't have as much of the dynamics within the show itself (staff, contestants, intra and inter-relationships within them) and instead we do have more "external" stuff (like network politics, not really external but not really riveting, in my opinion). I get it that showrunners are terrified at the possibility of the show getting stale, but - in my opinion - sometimes they do initiate change when change is not needed yet. I feel that's what we're having here. I would have been happy with a treatment of season 2 not very different from season 1, with maybe at the end a hint or a full on indication that things were about to change, but not now, not so soon. Not when the first season only had 10 episodes. I was not bored yet with the format. But maybe that's just me :) and my low boredom threshold...

I still like the season, because the concept is fantastic. I just miss some of the things that blew me away in season 1, and even made me consider (very briefly, and no, I haven't yet followed through) to binge watch an old Bachelor season.    

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, Glade said:

 

I'm really not into people's abuse histories being manipulated and survivors being humiliated in public and called liars just to get your fucking ratings up on some tv show. The cruelty is just too much.

 

In real life, of course not, but within the context of this show I thought it was deliciously evil!  They are a little heavy handed this season and it is going to get worse!  It is the premise of this show to exaggerate the manipulations of The Bachelor.  

Coleman is up to no good.  I think he is appalled at what goes on and not showing it.  He has his eyes set on Rachael, not for love, but for something he is planning for his career advancement.  

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

Coleman was just so wide eyed and eager to learn all the things Quinn and Rachel do to get the drama for the show that I just know he's up to something. Both women were so proud to display how good they are at what they do and was eating up his shocked faces. No way he's not playing them. I think the story about the ex was real but the rest of his interactions with them? So fake. He was quick to assure Rachel that he was leaning into Chet's version of the show to only pacify Gary and Chet while giving Chet enough rope to hang himself. And after that he's going to go with Quinn's version of the show? Nope, he's going to do the same with Quinn.

They keep showing off and he keeps taking notes.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

In real life, of course not, but within the context of this show I thought it was deliciously evil!  

Exactly! This season is rushed and strange though. 

I don't want Quinn and Rachel to break up! As toxic as Quinn is...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, BingeyKohan said:

Ha, totally! And I feel like I'm being nitpicky about the 'we did that in s8' thing' - but I also forgot to nitpick the network exec speech where the camera is trained (just like Everlasting producers do to set up contestants in for a downfall) on either Quinn or Rachel looking smug until they realize he's praising Coleman rather than them. I guess the writers did that for some kind of parallelism between Q&R but happening in back to back weeks it just looks lazy and repetitive. 

On the other hand, they are the leads, so who else are they going to focus on. Also if I remember my 'how to write' articles. Quinn is the one with the highest stakes in this scene, so it should be from her point of view, anyway. So both the show, and the in=show, are correct. Cute. 

21 hours ago, phoenics said:

Brandy deserved to end up in the hole.  She could have killed Chantal - who the heck cares about legal stuff when Chantal could have easily sued her and all of Everlasting for EVERYTHING.  Brandy could legitimately go to jail - where they'd lock her up in a holding cell or an interrogation room with a one way mirror.  So eff her abuse issues when she nearly killed someone.  That was absolutely crazy.  She didn't just accidentally make Chantal fall - she GRABBED HER LEG and tossed her off the wall!  LOL - I could give two effs about her distress in the hole.  She needed to be locked up.  Honestly - it would either be that or locked up in a cell at the police department for assualt or attempted murder.

Agreed. She was crazy. Who does that?

15 hours ago, Eolivet said:

I liked this episode a lot. I could tell who were the producers and who were the showrunners and everyone had their own role with understandable responsibilities and yay. Also loved seeing Quinn as a hands-on producer. You can see where Rachel learned some of her stuff.

What they did to Brandi was bad, but you could sort of see it coming, and for me, it doesn't compare, shock-wise, to what Rachel did to Anna last year. Since, as others have said, Brandi had an inciting incident of violence, which I think the show used as carte blanche to edit her how they wanted. I still think what happened to Anna was worse. To me, Brandi gave the producers rope and allowed them to hang her with it. Anna put the noose on like they told her it was a necklace.

I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't miss Adam at all. Not even a little bit. He was the suitor, not (in my opinion) Rachel's true love.

Agreed with the rest of the post there, but I do miss Adam. And while he may or may not be Rachel's OTP, it sure for hell isn't Coleman. Which is also why I think they didn't go for the slow burn with Coleman. Plus Rachel herself has been flexing her sexuality - first with Romeo (and I'm sure others), so this short term fling feels more in character for where she is right now. It's not love by a long shot, just scratching an itch. Whereas with Adam, they were selling 'true love'

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, ZoloftBlob said:

I'm actually pretty sure Chantal would have signed the same contract that pretty much allows her to be murdered on camera with no legal liability to the show. So no, Chantal can't sue Everlasting for anything. And Brandy wouldn't go to jail for what at the end of the day was poor judgement and over competition. I mean, I am not overwhelmed with sympathy for Brandy - but did Chantal even need to see a doctor?

Chantal definitely got medical treatment after that fall. Even when she had barely hit the ground, Darius was racing over to put her through concussion protocol because he knew from football that her injury was serious. The "hospital" scene was dressed up to make good TV, but I'm sure they actually had her looked at by a doctor because they can't have someone dying again.

7 hours ago, NutMeg said:

Not even, that was Madison's genius. When Madison, on her own, can pull the wool over your eyes, you know you're the gullible type :)  

I was so proud of Madison as she played that racist idiot for a fool to get the sound bites they needed. She knew exactly how to get that girl to not only talk, but say the wildest things that came to her mind what with the "keeping it honest" and "female Donald Trump" stuff. The sad thing is if this was real, you know that Madison wouldn't even have been lying. There'd be people on her side immediately and a job at FOX News waiting for her as soon as the show is done.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I didn't know the dog was Chet's in real life!  I was thinking through the episode last night, "gee, that dog is awfully well trained to stay hanging around a stranger slamming stuff around." i couldnt figure out how the dog would look so worshipfully at Chet, and also look so sad when Chet was upset. Makes sense now. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, NutMeg said:

"the lady from central casting" bothers me more than the hole where Brandy was thrown. I mean, I get the hole, but either "from central casting" was a case of Quinn's sense of humour, and the woman was indeed the mother (good job on casting, BTW, because she totally looked like she could be Brandy's mother), or it was not a joke, and in this case I see more potential for a lawsuit with the defamation that THAT represents - wouldn't Brandy be able to sue the show and the network big time for this false representation? Quinn's "who'll believe her?" only rings true to me if that was indeed the real mother, otherwise I would think it could be easy for Brandy to go the media round with proof that she was indeed placed with successive foster families, which would demonstrate that the "real mom" was a fake.  

Not even, that was Madison's genius. When Madison, on her own, can pull the wool over your eyes, you know you're the gullible type :)

Thanks to this thread, I've learned what it means to "produce someone"! And about that, I'm not sure the new guy is not producing Rachel, after all he must know enough from his contacts and/or research to be able to give her and tell her what she needs so that she thinks she's producing him. At this stage, I tend to think he's producing her more than she's producing him.

My main complaint this season is that the Quinn/Rachel relationship is being diluted by other stuff. I love this relationship! (Please, show, don't do us a Good Wife and destroy or dilute a good female/female convo...) My secondary complain is we don't have as much of the dynamics within the show itself (staff, contestants, intra and inter-relationships within them) and instead we do have more "external" stuff (like network politics, not really external but not really riveting, in my opinion). I get it that showrunners are terrified at the possibility of the show getting stale, but - in my opinion - sometimes they do initiate change when change is not needed yet. I feel that's what we're having here. I would have been happy with a treatment of season 2 not very different from season 1, with maybe at the end a hint or a full on indication that things were about to change, but not now, not so soon. Not when the first season only had 10 episodes. I was not bored yet with the format. But maybe that's just me :) and my low boredom threshold...

I still like the season, because the concept is fantastic. I just miss some of the things that blew me away in season 1, and even made me consider (very briefly, and no, I haven't yet followed through) to binge watch an old Bachelor season.    

I stated this elsewhere. There will be no lawsuit for Brandi against the show. The clips would be edited in a way to maker her look like a crazy liar with no mention of the mother. They want people to believe this nonsense is real. It would take  Reddit and Twitter 20 seconds to find out Brandi's real history. They just needed enough crazy to get Darius to dump her.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

"the lady from central casting" bothers me more than the hole where Brandy was thrown. I mean, I get the hole, but either "from central casting" was a case of Quinn's sense of humour, and the woman was indeed the mother (good job on casting, BTW, because she totally looked like she could be Brandy's mother), or it was not a joke, and in this case I see more potential for a lawsuit with the defamation that THAT represents - wouldn't Brandy be able to sue the show and the network big time for this false representation? Quinn's "who'll believe her?" only rings true to me if that was indeed the real mother, otherwise I would think it could be easy for Brandy to go the media round with proof that she was indeed placed with successive foster families, which would demonstrate that the "real mom" was a fake. 

My read on that, particularly the way it way staged for the cameras, was that they might edit around the mom, taking out some of what Darius said and not showing her on camera. It reminded me of Rachel's blow up in the past season when they said they cut Rachel out so it seemed like the contestant just went crazy after being rejected.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, vibeology said:

I was so proud of Madison as she played that racist idiot for a fool to get the sound bites they needed. She knew exactly how to get that girl to not only talk, but say the wildest things that came to her mind what with the "keeping it honest" and "female Donald Trump" stuff. The sad thing is if this was real, you know that Madison wouldn't even have been lying. There'd be people on her side immediately and a job at FOX News waiting for her as soon as the show is done.

This is actually part of my problem with the show this season. I said it in last episode's thread... SGS was "just one script away from" dragging real life politics into this, in order to smash the Message-hammer onto everyone's heads... which makes it un-fun. Nobody, on either side of the political divide in this country, wants to be portrayed as a caricature, and she's hitting all the caricature beats with her scripts, with all of the writing of the contestants and the suitor. It's not even believable, unless the viewer just wants to confirm their own preconceived notions.

Where's the promised depth and exploration of the nuances of the characters? Where's the effort to make them seem like "real people" that we're watching behind-the-scenes? Sure we get all the delving into the whys and wherefores of Rachel's darkness, and Quinn's, but there isn't really any respect for any of the positions of the contestants. Faith's story was handled so much more beautifully last season, and they didn't have to tear down the characters surrounding her in order to do it. This southern racist chick this season is just a straw man to be knocked down to deliver SGS's Message. She's the shows' (both of them) designated villain, and her take-down will be cheered loudly. But having the Everlasting villain = the Unreal villain isn't actually very nuanced or imaginative story-telling. It's boring.

Edited by CalamityBoPeep
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Sparger Springs said:

I stated this elsewhere. There will be no lawsuit for Brandi against the show. The clips would be edited in a way to maker her look like a crazy liar with no mention of the mother. They want people to believe this nonsense is real. It would take  Reddit and Twitter 20 seconds to find out Brandi's real history. They just needed enough crazy to get Darius to dump her.

 

5 hours ago, aradia22 said:

My read on that, particularly the way it way staged for the cameras, was that they might edit around the mom, taking out some of what Darius said and not showing her on camera. It reminded me of Rachel's blow up in the past season when they said they cut Rachel out so it seemed like the contestant just went crazy after being rejected.

Thanks you two, I never even considered they would edit the mom out, obviously I'm still very naive!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Last year I found this show to be a lot of fun. It was kind of startling to see how far the producers would go to manipulate the contestants and create the storylines. Now I am just getting tired of Quinn. Last year she was shocking in a fun way, but this year I'm just bored with her comments. She seems to be trying too hard, or the writers are, but to me it's becoming monotonous that everything she says is some kind of profane comment. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/21/2016 at 10:29 PM, saoirse said:

A little late, but a reminder - here's the spot to compare the show to actual reality shows, including discussion of the NDAs and other various releases and legal agreements.

 

Posts have been moved. This is the spot to talk about the episode, not actual reality contestants, or other reality shows. Take the conversation about reality shows over there - future posts in here may be deleted.

Share this post


Link to post

I really loved this show last season and I couldn't wait for this season to start, but I'm just finding this whole thing very disturbing. I'd love for at least one of the characters to have some redeeming qualities. I don't find the stone cold bitch thing at all endearing. It makes it very difficult to watch. Nobody is as heartless as the characters on this show. Not one, besides the suitor character, is likable at all. They could have given Quinn and Rachel a softer side. I found myself rooting for Coleman, like haha bitch that's what you get for lying and publicly embarrassing some girl who was abused her whole life. I just don't think it's fun to watch a show full of corrupt assholes with no moral compass in sight. Example, last season Rachel was upset about the girl who killed herself. This season's Rachel would probably throw a party over it because, ya know, ratings. And Quinn's crotch grabbing and dick comments are way overboard. Tone it down a little. Im rooting for whoever is trying to stick it to Quinn and Rachel at this point and I don't even care who it is.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Nowhere said:

. And Quinn's crotch grabbing and dick comments are way overboard. Tone it down a little. Im rooting for whoever is trying to stick it to Quinn and Rachel at this point and I don't even care who it is.

I thought it was a little gratuitous too.

Again, I'm no ardent feminist, but I hate the idea that in order to convey strength as a woman, you have to basically joke about having a penis.  

I still like Rachel and Quinn.....probably Quinn moreso because I don't think she really tries to hide the bitch that she is.  When she is "producing" someone, I almost blame them because she seems pretty transparent.  I'm not sure if I buy Rachel's act that she is somehow above it all and she really has this groundbreaking social agenda.  A black suitor is very interesting, and groundbreaking, but Rachel could be making groundbreaking documentaries somewhere elseif she wanted to.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

But it does give her a bigger social platform, and encourages conversation on a broader scale. 

I do think there are some redeeming qualities to Rachael. And Quinn. It sounds hokey but they are both capable of love. At least they aren't meth dealers. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/21/2016 at 11:18 PM, hatchetgirl said:

EXACTLY! And those crazy eyes! 

I've been chosen for a reality show and the contract was insane! I wouldn't have rights to display my body in media for 5 years.  They actually said my image was theirs on not only earth, or the galaxy, but for all universe! A meditation clause was in it, along with a waiver of injury.  So yeah, they can put the woman "in the hole".

I hate her so much, but dang I loved when she shouted "I am so hard now!"  Totally crass, but she seems to have come up the ranks with the old boys club.   

Gary definitely is a part of the old boy club.  I think he's just being a dick to the women. 

Coleman is totally doing some exposě!  But I think Rachel is producing him. 

1. Was it possibly a $cientology-based show? 2. Did you mean mediation?

On 6/21/2016 at 5:26 PM, phoenics said:

Brandy deserved to end up in the hole.  She could have killed Chantal - who the heck cares about legal stuff when Chantal could have easily sued her and all of Everlasting for EVERYTHING.  Brandy could legitimately go to jail - where they'd lock her up in a holding cell or an interrogation room with a one way mirror.  So eff her abuse issues when she nearly killed someone.  That was absolutely crazy.  She didn't just accidentally make Chantal fall - she GRABBED HER LEG and tossed her off the wall!  LOL - I could give two effs about her distress in the hole.  She needed to be locked up.  Honestly - it would either be that or locked up in a cell at the police department for assualt or attempted murder.

McCoy/Rubirosa/Cutter could figure out a way to convict Quinn and the show as a whole for something here were Chantal to have died (criminally negligent homicide maybe?).

16 hours ago, Arkay said:

Last year I found this show to be a lot of fun. It was kind of startling to see how far the producers would go to manipulate the contestants and create the storylines. Now I am just getting tired of Quinn. Last year she was shocking in a fun way, but this year I'm just bored with her comments. She seems to be trying too hard, or the writers are, but to me it's becoming monotonous that everything she says is some kind of profane comment. 

&

8 hours ago, Nowhere said:

I really loved this show last season and I couldn't wait for this season to start, but I'm just finding this whole thing very disturbing. I'd love for at least one of the characters to have some redeeming qualities. I don't find the stone cold bitch thing at all endearing. It makes it very difficult to watch. Nobody is as heartless as the characters on this show. Not one, besides the suitor character, is likable at all. They could have given Quinn and Rachel a softer side. I found myself rooting for Coleman, like haha bitch that's what you get for lying and publicly embarrassing some girl who was abused her whole life. I just don't think it's fun to watch a show full of corrupt assholes with no moral compass in sight. Example, last season Rachel was upset about the girl who killed herself. This season's Rachel would probably throw a party over it because, ya know, ratings. And Quinn's crotch grabbing and dick comments are way overboard. Tone it down a little. Im rooting for whoever is trying to stick it to Quinn and Rachel at this point and I don't even care who it is.

I'm also finding these characters to be much less likable than last season.  Show me something to like about them please, show! Did Noxon bring that quality with her out the door?

Did anyone wonder how Rachel felt about Brandi's 'mother' being brought in? Especially with her issues with her own mother.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, RCharter said:

I thought it was a little gratuitous too.

Again, I'm no ardent feminist, but I hate the idea that in order to convey strength as a woman, you have to basically joke about having a penis.  

I still like Rachel and Quinn.....probably Quinn moreso because I don't think she really tries to hide the bitch that she is.  When she is "producing" someone, I almost blame them because she seems pretty transparent.  I'm not sure if I buy Rachel's act that she is somehow above it all and she really has this groundbreaking social agenda.  A black suitor is very interesting, and groundbreaking, but Rachel could be making groundbreaking documentaries somewhere elseif she wanted to.

Sorry, nothing to add, but for some reason I couldn't plus your post, so hope this counts as if.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, NutMeg said:

Sorry, nothing to add, but for some reason I couldn't plus your post, so hope this counts as if.

LOL...well I hearted your post :)  Because I thank you kindly

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

While I definitely think Josh Kelly overacts a bit - I give him a pass for 2 reasons: 1) his start was on a soap opera where overacting is required and 2) he served 3 Tours in Afghanistan and 1 Tour in Iraq as an Army Ranger {insert heart flutter}.

 

Pretty much any time he talks all I can think of is how fantastic he must have looked in fatigues ;)

Edited by dixiecricket
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

If the showriters really want to break barriers, they should write Shari and Quinn interesting enough to not need a love interest at all for the whole season. Imagine a show with women in the lead and it's not about a love story at all.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

I think that is one of the reasons I was so very against them hooking up Rachel with Adam last season. It not only felt really forced (they may have had chemistry but the storyline was REALLY forced) but it ended up putting her in a triangle which is too soap opera for me. I was hoping the soapy elements would be in the production of Everlasting, not in the love lives of it's production crew. Quinn and Chet are another matter. There is absolutely nothing I like about that pairing.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah, I'm not feeling this show at all this season. I was addicted to the first season and loved it even more on a binge re-watch but this season has really left me flat. I've hated what they did to Quinn's character from the first episode and I miss the old Chet.

Quote

It's interesting that people feel like this show is back to season 1 form.  I didn't like the first two episodes.  And while maybe this one did get back to first season-type machinations, I fear it might be too late for me to actually care

I completely agree. I am willing to give it one or two more episodes but I fear that Unreal may be joining my growing list of TV serials that I've had to fire.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Also, everything that Calamity Bo Peep said. I was rolling my eyes at the whole "Female Trump" thing. I detest oversimplified, self-congratulatory political "moments" anywhere but especially in my entertainment, and especially on a show that purports be more intelligent than the average. Play it in a more interesting way, or leave it out. And all of a sudden Madison has these mad producing skilz and doesn't cry anymore? OK.

I don't trust Coleman, who I think is actually "producing" Rachel as much as she thinks she's producing him. I also think Darius is interesting and I'm curious as to what his physical injury might be. Or perhaps it' s going to be a head injury, since NFL head injuries are a huge issue for the sport now. But I can't really care that much either because the show has lost me on so many other levels that I can't muster the energy to care. The only time I perked up was in the last episode when Darius and Texas girl started talking about football and I thought, oh good, wow, a football conversation, but then it was over and I remembered a) it wasn't real and b) I do have the NFL channel. So yeah, if I'd rather watch a channel for a sport that's not even in season, Unreal, I don't see much hope for our future.

Quote

I've been chosen for a reality show and the contract was insane!

Someone I worked with had a family member who was chosen for The Voice. They wisely decided to hire a lawyer to look at the contract before signing their daughter up. Apparently it is equally insane, so much so that the lawyer was flabbergasted, and they decided they'd pursue other avenues to help her singing career. I wish I knew the details!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, RCharter said:

I thought it was a little gratuitous too.

Again, I'm no ardent feminist, but I hate the idea that in order to convey strength as a woman, you have to basically joke about having a penis.  

I still like Rachel and Quinn.....probably Quinn moreso because I don't think she really tries to hide the bitch that she is.  When she is "producing" someone, I almost blame them because she seems pretty transparent.  I'm not sure if I buy Rachel's act that she is somehow above it all and she really has this groundbreaking social agenda.  A black suitor is very interesting, and groundbreaking, but Rachel could be making groundbreaking documentaries somewhere elseif she wanted to.

Depends on the definition of "groundbreaking." There are probably 3-4 documentaries a decade that people actually know of, although Netflix is increasing that visibility. If Everlasting is The Bachelor, then everyone knows that show, even if they don't watch. I can see how there's more impact in producing a reality show than making a documentary than only other industry people see.

I think Gary and Coleman (heh, Gary/Colemen) are getting the best out of Quinn and Rachel by putting them in the metaphorical hole. They were originally trying to produce a season's worth of events, but the network wants every episode to be a high ratings train wreck. I can see why Quinn was getting so hard, er, excited. She's an adrenaline junkie, and that may not be the best choice for an executive producer.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, ketose said:

Depends on the definition of "groundbreaking." There are probably 3-4 documentaries a decade that people actually know of, although Netflix is increasing that visibility. If Everlasting is The Bachelor, then everyone knows that show, even if they don't watch. I can see how there's more impact in producing a reality show than making a documentary than only other industry people see.

I think Gary and Coleman (heh, Gary/Colemen) are getting the best out of Quinn and Rachel by putting them in the metaphorical hole. They were originally trying to produce a season's worth of events, but the network wants every episode to be a high ratings train wreck. I can see why Quinn was getting so hard, er, excited. She's an adrenaline junkie, and that may not be the best choice for an executive producer.

Thats a good question.  Maybe I watch more documentaries than the average bear, so to me, a documentary could more deeply explore issues than a reality show.  I love trashy reality TV, and I love documentaries, but I think I watch them with almost different "thinking caps."  When I watch trashy reality TV, I turn my brain off....it really is more like brain junk food.  For a documentary, I'm typically more engaged and I'm actually thinking through the subject, and its normally presented in such a way as to explore a subject in depth.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 9:24 AM, Save Yourself said:

 It's a shame because for me that removed Rachel's shades of grey, she's done a lot of dodgy things before but she also tried to do the right thing when she could or at least felt bad about the horrible things she did, this time though she seemed so proud of herself when it's easily the worst thing we've seen her do. Just gross. I can handle Quinn being like that but to have Rachel just be the same carries it too far. 

When they said The Hole I thought straightaway of Scientology!

I don't think they really had a choice, if they wanted the character to develop.  Every episode last season, the camera lingered lovingly on Rachel "concerned" expression--she was (troubled!  confused!) questioning the boundaries of her own morality.  I liked Conflicted Rachel as a counterpoint to Ruthless Quinn, but I don't have the patience for ten more hours of soul searching.   Either own it and embrace your commitment to the dark side or buff up your resume' and move along.  Hey, she went with the first one!

*(I'm re-watching Going Clear right now.  Jinx!)

 

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 11:51 AM, RCharter said:

 It could be false imprisonment, or even kidnapping I suppose -- but those would both be criminal charges and so you would have to have a DA willing to bring them.  Although FI is also a civil action, so...maybe.

I can't tell if this is one of the prohibited topics, but "the hole" is where my credulity stretched to breaking.  Privately detaining someone on the basis of "harm to self or others"--or shoplifting, drunk driving, homicide or any other reason?  Sure, for as long as it takes the authorities to arrive.

(You too, Scientologists.  Buy a clue.)

 

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 10:40 PM, Eolivet said:

I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't miss Adam at all.

I don't miss Adam.  Black sheep boy toy, vineyard spa, yawn.  If it turns out this new chap has been secretly playing our players all along, that will be excellent.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

This was the first episode where Darius' agent, Romeo, has advocated for Darius' best interests. Last episode, I was certain that Romeo was some dude who had grown up with Darius and was accidentally sinking Darius' career due to his own self interest, which you sometimes see with athletes. They'll have these huge crews where everyone is spending the athlete's money and encouraging his worst behaviors and instincts. It was good to see Romeo actually looking out for Darius. I feel like Darius could have kept a rehab trainer in the house if he wanted to, which supports the idea that Darius has a career ending injury.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 11:11 PM, Nowhere said:

I found myself rooting for Coleman, like haha bitch that's what you get for lying and publicly embarrassing some girl who was abused her whole life. I just don't think it's fun to watch a show full of corrupt assholes with no moral compass in sight.

So MAYBE Coleman is actually there to make a "documentary"  about Everlasting!   He's getting the dirt, going behind the scenes to disclose all the bullshit that goes into making the show. 

No - too meta to even consider.

Or is it? 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

While I definitely think Josh Kelly overacts a bit - I give him a pass for 2 reasons: 1) his start was on a soap opera where overacting is required and 2) he served 3 Tours in Afghanistan and 1 Tour in Iraq as an Army Ranger {insert heart flutter}.

 

Pretty much any time he talks all I can think of is how fantastic he must have looked in fatigues ;)

Wait, you think he OVERacts? My problem with Jeremy is he's dull as dirt. Whiny, sulky, self-important dirt. But none of that is on the actor. He is pretty. Maybe he can go find another show where he can just be eye candy like Devious Maids.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 4:53 PM, aradia22 said:

Wait, you think he OVERacts? My problem with Jeremy is he's dull as dirt. Whiny, sulky, self-important dirt. But none of that is on the actor. He is pretty. Maybe he can go find another show where he can just be eye candy like Devious Maids.

IF he actually leaves the show after this season, which I hope he does!

Edited by Chris Burgess

Share this post


Link to post

Ok jumped on the bandwagon for this show. I love it! It's terrible but I feel terribly fact based. Never would I go on a reality show but all the more reason so. I mean the way they play people is both horrendous and masterful. When you live in a bubble it's easy to see how you can be influenced by very common sense things. 

Everyone plays off everyone so well of course the whole Chet thing may make me crazy because I don't see him fitting it so well this season and the whole 2 show thing is a bit much. Their bachelor is ok but not too dynamic but I like it, it gives the show an opportunity to bring out the surprises even more. It's a slow build with some of this stuff so I'm not bothered by some of the storylines. I cannot wait to see where Ruby goes because she's gonna play some big role at some point. I hope they throw a twist in there with her (but in a good way).

Love me some Coleman. What an interesting idea to bring in ANOTHER person to run this show but he's not really running it, he's just outside looking in and waiting to pounce I think. He's totally using Rachel like everyone is using everyone but it will be interesting to see the final play because you know it's gonna be revealed (and maybe in stages). I know people don't love the glasses but I think everything this show is deliberate so there's a reason he's "nerdy" and a "documentary" guy. It's all part of the show. He's good looking too! I do wish he didn't pounce on Rachel so quick, they had sexual tension but I wish they waited to play it out a bit more by a slow drag (but still sexy)

Everything is a show on and off camera. Love it!

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/25/2016 at 3:53 PM, aradia22 said:

Wait, you think he OVERacts? My problem with Jeremy is he's dull as dirt. Whiny, sulky, self-important dirt. But none of that is on the actor. He is pretty. Maybe he can go find another show where he can just be eye candy like Devious Maids.

Well, when I say overact, I guess I really mean soap opera acting - as in glaring from across a room, or staring intently as the scene intensifies. I do think that the writers aren't doing the characters in any favors and if the object is to have the audience dislike him, it appears to be working.

 

As far as the male characters on the show, if Josh shaved his beard, I could watch him all day. ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Two things here. I have a hard time believing that the psychologist lady would play ball with this plan. She showed some questionable ethics up to this point, but nothing remotely on this level and she was shown actually caring about the girls to some extend before.

Also this is going to come out in the exit press. It won't be hard to actually confirm that the girl grew up in foster care. It's really not going to look good for the show when it comes out that they told their suiter such a blatant lie. This show is starting to stretch my suspension of disblieve just a little too much.

Share this post


Link to post
×