Type keyword(s) to search

Flip Or Flop - General Discussion

• Start Topic

23 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Anyway, I agree the kitchen was kind of ugly and I did not care for the design at all. The backsplash was especially hideous.

I agree. It seemed to be a weird combo of dark gray and a kind of brownish gray.  Not at all attractive IMHO. And man, that master bath shower was TINY. I know they didn't have much to work with but that looked about the diameter of a medium large human being..

• Love 1
5 hours ago, captain1 said:

For a split second there when you said "doing flips together" I had a mental picture of them actually doing backflips?

Ready boys?  All together now...One...two...three...go.   Lol

• Love 3

On rewatch, this latest episode spared us from the fake drama of the "surprises" they always encounter during construction, so here's hoping they can continue to dispense with that gimmick going forward.

I loved what they did with the beamed ceiling, but I hated what they did with the fireplace. That tile looked like it belonged in a bathroom, not on a dining room fireplace.

• Love 3

I like their show better than the other one (Chip and Joanna -- I can't stand the styling that Joanna does-- random shiny "objects" placed around the room rather than real things like books, photos, objects from trips, etc.) I'm not a particular fan of many of Christina's styling choices either, but they usually don't actively bother me. 

• Love 4

It's probably pretty reliable.  The TMZ article seems to have a quote from T&C about the separation.  The stuff in May with possible suicide attempt and guns might be a stretch to tie to the separation, but no doubt they pulled the details from a police report.

Edited by Saytura
  • Love 1

TMZ is legit. They put out a statement to People after.

http://people.com/tv/hgtv-tarek-christina-el-moussa-split-after-altercation/?xid=socialflow_twitter_peoplemag

HGTV’s Flip or Flop stars Tarek and Christina El Moussa have called it quits after seven years of marriage.

The couple announced their separation in a statement to PEOPLE, noting an altercation that prompted police to visit their California home.

“Like many couples, we have had challenges in our marriage,” the pair said in the statement. “We had an unfortunate misunderstanding about six months ago and the police were called to our house in an abundance of caution. There was no violence and no charges were filed.”

The El Moussas said they sought counseling to “sort out” the relationship but have since decided to separate while evaluating “the future of our marriage.”

“During the process, we are committed to our kids and being the best parents we can be,” they said in the statement. “We will continue to work through this process civilly and cooperatively, and plan to continue our professional life together.”

Police responded to the couple’s Orange County home in May after receiving a “call of a possibly suicidal male with a gun,” according to TMZ. Tarek allegedly ran from the home with a firearm, only dropping the weapon when a helicopter spotted him and officers commanded him to do so.

He allegedly told officers he did not intend to harm himself, but wanted to “blow off some steam.”

The couple wed in 2009 have two children: Brayden, 1, and a 6-year-old daughter Taylor

He has a lot of guns. 

I'm so surprised by this. , HGTV will now have to figure out what to do with the show.

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, Artsda said:

He has a lot of guns. 

I'm so surprised by this. , HGTV will now have to figure out what to do with the show.

In the past, Tarek and Christina have always had extra seasons in the tank.  They usually film multiple seasons at one time, which is why the timelines seem so off in regards to the kids' ages.  I'm not sure if they caught back up with her pregnancy and the summer special though.  If they have unaired seasons, I could see HGTV airing those without any kind of announcement.  Then phasing it out for one of the replacements they've tried in the last year or so.

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, Artsda said:

I wanted this not to be true, but yeah, TMZ is usually reliable. I guess you never know what goes on behind closed doors. Christina loved to rag on Tarek, but I thought it was all in fun. They really seemed to love each other. *sigh* I feel bad for Taylor and Brayden. 

• Love 9

Scott McGillivray has his own reno special "Moving the McGillivrays" from his own house in Toronto they could use for a season at least. Not sure if that aired on HGTV USA.  They should call him up. 

• Love 2

It sounds to me like they are planning to continue working together -- we'll probably get some cheery voiceover from Christina about how "Tarek and I have separated but our business is still going great and we are the best of friends" plus footage of them amicably agreeing to who is watching the children this weekend or something like that, and everything will continue as normal. I would guess they, and HGTV, are making too much money to let a little thing like a divorce stop them from making more.

• Love 6

Nothing surprises me about these pseudo reality people, but this sounds like a situation that could have turned violent. I am glad that no one was killed and hope that Christina takes precautions to protect her and the children.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, DrivingSideways said:

Did not see this coming!  Wow.

Agreed.  There's no doubt that Tarek and Christina enjoy their high-income lifestyle, and I don't think anyone's kidding themselves that they are the average family next door.  However, there's still a long way from being successful and enjoying money to what has transpired.  Tarek taking off with a gun?  Didn't see that coming at all.

It sounds to me like they are planning to continue working together -- we'll probably get some cheery voiceover from Christina about how "Tarek and I have separated but our business is still going great and we are the best of friends" plus footage of them amicably agreeing to who is watching the children this weekend or something like that, and everything will continue as normal. I would guess they, and HGTV, are making too much money to let a little thing like a divorce stop them from making more.

Also agree.  If Tarek is emotionally stable and HGTV does some damage control, I can see an attempt to keep the show on the air.

• Love 2

Holy crap. I wonder if HGTV will yank the show off the air. They've been getting a lot of heat lately over Chip and Joanna Gaines and now this.

If Tarek is emotionally stable and HGTV does some damage control, I can see an attempt to keep the show on the air.

I don't know. This show in particular, along with Fixer Upper, really relies on Tarek and Christina being a couple. That's kind of the whole hook. They've even incorporated their kids into the opening title sequence. I don't really see the network keeping it on the air if they split.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 10

Well this just got interesting HGTV's Flip or Flop Stars Tarek and Christina El Moussa Separate

The HGTV stars' announcement came after TMZ first reported that police had responded to "call of a possibly suicidal male with a gun" from the couple's Orange County home in May. Eleven officers and a helicopter showed up and located Tarek, who had fled the family home with a firearm. After the helicopter spotted Tarek, police ordered him to do drop his weapon. Tarek complied and, according to TMZ, told the police he had only wanted to "blow off some steam." Afterward, police searched the family's home and seized five guns, including an AR-15.

"

10 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I don't know. This show in particular, along with Fixer Upper, really relies on Tarek and Christina being a couple. That's kind of the whole hook. They've even incorporated their kids into the opening title sequence. I don't really see the network keeping it on the air if they split.

No, I disagree. I think the show relies on them being able to work together moreso than them being a couple.  I can see a new title sequence having to be created, but if they can still manage to work together and successfully co-parent, I don't think they have to be spouses or live in the same house for the show to succeed.

• Love 1

Wow, how sad.  Christina must have been scared out of her mind. I don't intend to start a gun debate, but there were a lot of guns in that house, and I really hope they keep them far away from the kids (and from Tarek apparently).

Edited by IndianPaintbrush
  • Love 10
28 minutes ago, auntjess said:

Meanwhile, I was shocked that they were using hot tar to waterproof the shower  I thought tar was strictly for outdoor use.

I saw that too. We just redid our bathroom and they laid big sheets of black rubber type material. Seems much more robust than tar. 

• Love 2

HGTV had to have known about this when it happened, or may have known there was trouble with the marriage long before this happened.  Maybe that's why we have the pair from Nashville, and there's a mother/daughter rehab team on now, too.  Guessing HGTV was being prepared in case the marriage did dissolve.  Plus, any network would be foolish not to have a plan B for any show.  Seems like there are scandals or controversies popping up re: hosts or shows, when you would least expect it.

• Love 4

Sure hate to see this. For me, half of the enjoyment of the show was watching them work together as a couple. 

I don't have any info at all, but my first thought when I heard about their separation: When somebody freaks out this much, to the point where guns/violence are part of it, there's nearly always a third party involved. Those people are not arguing over whose turn it is to take out the trash. Just sayin'.

• Love 7

I too was totally shocked by this news, but it isn't going to make me watch the Gainses' same old crap every week. Why can't HGTV go back to having real designers, like Candice Olsen or that guy who did Designing for the Sexes? Talent and professionalism go much farther than cutesy-poo antics to make a show watchable. I also miss seeing people with more than one idea about interiors.

• Love 15
35 minutes ago, okerry said:

I don't have any info at all, but my first thought when I heard about their separation: When somebody freaks out this much, to the point where guns/violence are part of it, there's nearly always a third party involved. Those people are not arguing over whose turn it is to take out the trash. Just sayin'.

I don't know. I think third-party involvement in their marriage is a possibility as too why this huge explosion happened. On the other hand, we don't know the inner workings of Tarek, Christina, or their marriage. We don't know if either or both have mental, emotional or substance abuse issues. All that can also cause a situation to fester and explode as well, in my experience, no third party needed.

In any case, it is pretty sad for them and their children.  I haven't watched in a long time due to not having cable, and while I had some issues with them and their house designs, they seemed more "real" then the average couple on tv. At least they didn't put on a lovey dovey, happy go lucky front some reality show couples do. I hope the whole family is getting help to work through this.

• Love 4

HGTV speaks...

“We admire and appreciate Tarek and Christina’s great work on Flip or Flop,” the network said in a statement obtained by TVLine. “When it comes to matters related to their own family, we respect their privacy and honor any decision that works best for them and their children. HGTV is currently airing episodes of Flip or Flop, and the series will continue production as scheduled.”

http://tvline.com/2016/12/12/flip-or-flop-tarek-christina-el-moussa-separated-hgtv/

• Love 2
3 hours ago, ByaNose said:

So there goes another Flipping show off the air. Jeez!

I like Miami Flip, with Carolina Sullivan.  She flips in work boots, and knows how to the work.
Sometimes DIY airs her shows, which were from a year or so ago.

Good God. I know there are always two sides to every story, but if he's as unstable and as prone to waving about firarms as that story suggests, he needs to be far away from those kids. I hope they all get the help they need. 

• Love 5

An AR-15?

For what, demo?

I guess it's not enough to be nationally famous, make a shitload of money, rip off rubes who attend your flipping "classes" and deprive struggling families of the chance to buy a "fixer-upper."

You have to stockpile guns and be emotionally unstable too.

I can imagine the scene: "Tarek has a gun!  Eeeeeeek!"

I see Pete De Best making a play for Christina.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 9

Now People Magazine put out a second article that they've been living apart for a few months and are already seeing other people. Guess they're not going to try to work it out or whatever the first article said

19 minutes ago, LizDC said:

HGTV can probably stop airing the Christina and Tarek Happy Family at Christmas promo now, they are already seeing other people...

http://people.com/celebrity/tarek-el-moussa-christina-el-moussa-had-been-living-separately-seeing-other-people-before-split-source/

Quite a pivot from 24 hours ago. HGTV has been airing holiday promos knowing T&C have been separated for 6 months and are currently seeing other people?

I'm so glad I already knew HGTV lied about their shows. While the dissolution of a family isn't funny, the way HGTV handles itself is.

• Love 8

Given that they were running those holiday promos, and there are only a few weeks until the New Year, it seems strange that they decided to announce the split now.  Like what precipitated the timing of this announcement when they've been apart for months away.. why not wait until after the holidays?

Also.. it seems a little fast for them to both be seeing other people already.  

• Love 3

Why can't HGTV go back to having real designers, like Candice Olsen or that guy who did Designing for the Sexes? Talent and professionalism go much farther than cutesy-poo antics to make a show watchable. I also miss seeing people with more than one idea about interiors.

I would dearly, dearly LOVE to see a show about the home stagers that work on all these shows.  That's a logistical, process-y thing that would be fascinating (to me).

This whole thing about Tarek and Christina strikes me as really sad.  I wonder if HGTV was planning to just let things lie as far as the marketing and the show and then TMZ outed them.  

• Love 7
38 minutes ago, GracieK said:

Given that they were running those holiday promos, and there are only a few weeks until the New Year, it seems strange that they decided to announce the split now.  Like what precipitated the timing of this announcement when they've been apart for months away.. why not wait until after the holidays?

Also.. it seems a little fast for them to both be seeing other people already.  

They've been separated for 7 months.  How long should they wait?

• Love 4
Just now, Honey said:

They've been separated for 7 months.  How long should they wait?

Well maybe at least until they've divorced?  Or at least filed?  IMO it's incredibly selfish to be involved with new people already when you've got young children who will still be dealing with the separation and new circumstances of their parents being apart.  

• Love 9