Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E11: Finale - Night 2

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, Woodrose said:

JR Martinez remains the first disabled winner of DWTS; Nyle is the second.

I don't consider JR Martinez disabled at all. He is a burn victim and disfigured but that does not make him disabled.

• Love 10

I'm happy that Peta won for the soul purpose that she just announced her pregnancy!!!!

I was wondering at first why she was crying before they announced the winner but it made sense. She is going to sit out the next season and I feel like the pros have a pretty bad track record of coming back after they have a baby.

• Love 1

"If this was judged purely on dance...".  If only.

But if the winner was decided purely on dance ability, why not just have all professional dancers? Or - just have all celebrities with zero dance experience. When you have a mix of celebs with a range of dancing experience from zero to "took lessons all my life" you can't base it purely on who dances the best. You might as well have Cheryl Burke return as a celebrity contestant. Look! She's the best dancer! Well of course she is.

I liked Paige, and I really enjoyed all her routines. And I think few would argue she was the best dancer. But . . . I soured on her a little because I wasn't buying what the show was selling as her storyline. It started out as the story of a tough little MMA fighter who was taking on a new and completely different challenge in life. Then when the internet started buzzing about all her past dance experience, the story changed to "she was bullied." Which rang hollow to me. In the end it was "look at her growth, she started out with so many trust issues and now she's so confident." They really had to work hard to craft a story arc for her, and they lost me with it.

Nyle on the other hand was genuine. He never became so polished and perfect you'd mistake him for a pro but damn - what he did was impressive as hell. And I say that as someone who loathed the idea of him before the season started and hated how far Noah Galloway got last season. But Nyle did dance really well. He wasn't perfect but even if you take away the fact that he couldn't hear the music he was still really good. 

I kind of pegged him as the winner from Day 1 but towards the end I was worried the judges were going to really push hard for Paige, and some of the editing last night seemed to telegraph a Paige win. The only hint it might be Nyle was Len's comment about judging purely on dance. Otherwise they kept the winner a surprise.

I just wish they would fix the format of this damn thing so we get more than 2 seconds after the winner is announced. I'll be damned if I'm going to watch 2 hours of GMA to hear the finalists afterthoughts.

• Love 8

I'm happy that Peta won for the soul purpose that she just announced her pregnancy!!!!

I was wondering at first why she was crying before they announced the winner but it made sense. She is going to sit out the next season and I feel like the pros have a pretty bad track record of coming back after they have a baby.

I do like Peta but can not comprehend what she sees in Maks. I wish he would stay away from this show. I bet he never marries her.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

But if the winner was decided purely on dance ability, why not just have all professional dancers? Or - just have all celebrities with zero dance experience. When you have a mix of celebs with a range of dancing experience from zero to "took lessons all my life" you can't base it purely on who dances the best. You might as well have Cheryl Burke return as a celebrity contestant. Look! She's the best dancer! Well of course she is.

Nah... Cheryl would be too ringy... Dmitry from Project Runway on the other hand.... LMAO so what if he used to compete in Ballroom dancing as a kid, right?

• Love 2
(edited)
56 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I liked Paige, and I really enjoyed all her routines. And I think few would argue she was the best dancer. But . . . I soured on her a little because I wasn't buying what the show was selling as her storyline. It started out as the story of a tough little MMA fighter who was taking on a new and completely different challenge in life. Then when the internet started buzzing about all her past dance experience, the story changed to "she was bullied." Which rang hollow to me. In the end it was "look at her growth, she started out with so many trust issues and now she's so confident." They really had to work hard to craft a story arc for her, and they lost me with it.

I think it was natural of Paige to reveal it when she did rather than come in with a sob story on Day 1. She spoke about being bullied out of her town before she was on DwtS so that's why I don't think she changed her story to deflect from her dance experience.

41 minutes ago, vavera4ka said:

Nah... Cheryl would be too ringy... Dmitry from Project Runway on the other hand.... LMAO so what if he used to compete in Ballroom dancing as a kid, right?

I'd love having Dmitry on the show! He may not be famous enough to win but I think there's some overlap of audiences for DwtS and PR.

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, labresq said:

Does anyone know who the guys in the suits were who came up on stage as soon as Nyle and Peta were announced winners?  Really curious.

One was Tony, another was her brother (the one with the glasses) and the blonde muscular one was a good friend of hers. I've seen his Instagram and as far as I know, he's not a dancer or anything. Seems like an LA friend. There was an older guy who is the husband of the woman in the orange outfit. Her name is Joslin and she appears to be a family friend of Maks and Val.

Edited by SophiaPehawkins
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Archery said:

love that Paige was totally up for any choreo that Mark threw at her and did it well.  Yes, I get that she had massive dance (and therefore performing) experience, but it was enjoyable to watch her dance well. 

If she stopped taking dance classes in middle school, she didn't have massive dance experience.  And just because you take classes doesn't mean you have massive performance experience (dance studio recitals and child competitions do not count).  I wish people would just admit that they voted for Nyle because they admired him, thought he was cute or whatever.  Prior dance experience should not be used for not voting for a person unless that's what you've done since the early seasons.  And looking at some of the winners, I don't think that's the case.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, movement said:

If she stopped taking dance classes in middle school, she didn't have massive dance experience.  And just because you take classes doesn't mean you have massive performance experience (dance studio recitals and child competitions do not count).  I wish people would just admit that they voted for Nyle because they admired him, thought he was cute or whatever.  Prior dance experience should not be used for not voting for a person unless that's what you've done since the early seasons.  And looking at some of the winners, I don't think that's the case.

She's only 21 years old, so high school was what...5-6 years ago? In Ginger's case, the college dance team was more than a few years ago. That said, I don't really care that they were ringers, but I can see why some people would be bothered by it.

I've been following video views on YT and the DWTS Facebook page for a few weeks now and Nyle's videos most of the time have always gotten the most views by a lot, but the views on the freestyle are blowing my mind.  If Paige realistically ever had a shot at winning I'm convinced it was Nyle's freestyle that secured the win for him. I'm even seeing comments like "well I loved Paige but Nyle had me bawling so I threw my votes to him". The last I looked on FB a little while ago Paige's freestyle had 450k views while Nyle's has over 2.3 million; even the video of Carrie Ann signing to him has well over a million in under 15 hours.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, breezy424 said:

I'm not quite sure how Ginger got as far as she did but I do know that ABC seemed to quietly promote her because....she works for ABC.

That, and she's partnered with Val, who seems to be one of the fan favorites.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, movement said:

I

For those who all of a sudden don't support celebs with dancing experience, take a look at previous seasons.  If you voted for Nyles fine but don't use the "Paige came in with dance experience" card.  The woman really carries the ballroom routines.  TPTB realized that a female celeb with no training or exposure had no chance.  I would bet that all the women this season, including Mischa, had some kind of dance training or exposure.  Grant it that some might've been years ago but they had it.  I think they need it because of being the "picture" and they're not going to gain support just because they look good like the male celebs enjoy.

I think you're right - I seem to recall in an interview once with Mark and Derek, they mentioned that it's very hard to get female celebrities with no dance experience, because so often now (as in, within the past 10-15 years), along with acting training, a lot of them get, at minimum, rudimentary dance training to round out their skills and make them more marketable.  So very rarely will you see a female contestant on the show with absolutely no dance experience.    

• Love 1
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Nyle on the other hand was genuine. He never became so polished and perfect you'd mistake him for a pro but damn - what he did was impressive as hell.

I kind of pegged him as the winner from Day 1 but towards the end I was worried the judges were going to really push hard for Paige, and some of the editing last night seemed to telegraph a Paige win. The only hint it might be Nyle was Len's comment about judging purely on dance. Otherwise they kept the winner a surprise.

Nyle was impressive for a deaf person.  You have to admire him.  I wish more people would admit that they were just floored by what he did and that's why they voted for him.

Most long time DWTS viewers knew that Nyle was running away with the votes for several weeks.  They may were hoping that they were wrong but the result was no surprise to them.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

She's only 21 years old, so high school was what...5-6 years ago? In Ginger's case, the college dance team was more than a few years ago. That said, I don't really care that they were ringers, but I can see why some people would be bothered by it.

I think Paige is a good athlete.  To stop taking classes for 5-6 years (as you stated), channel your muscles to another sport and still appear to be the best dancer is admirable.  I can see why it bothers some people if it has always bothered them--and not just with Paige.

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

It may sound like I'm splitting hairs, but Paige is 22, and middle school (not high school) is around ages 12 to 14. So her dance training was more like 8 or 9 years ago, not 5 to 6. I only mention this because you used those figures to explain the ringer label. Yes, she has dance experience, but no where near what some winners have had. Ice skaters, ice DANCERS (that one did irk me lol), gymnasts, and Pussycat girls come to mind.

24 minutes ago, movement said:

I think Paige is a good athlete.  To stop taking classes for 5-6 years (as you stated), channel your muscles to another sport and still appear to be the best dancer is admirable.  I can see why it bothers some people if it has always bothered them--and not just with Paige.

I totally agree!

• Love 1
(edited)

Awwww, I gotta admit to SERIOUS disappointment this morning. :-(

Stood for a goodly time outside GMA, expecting the finalists to dance a bit, as has been known to occur.

NOT ONLY was there no outdoors dancing (Edited to note: Yes, there was, by four members of the "B" squad of pros.), but.....

Mark didn't come out at all. Val/Ginger and Nyle/Peta did when they first arrived, with Nyle holding the MBT, but neither Nyle nor Val EVER  turned around to look at the fans, not even to the side (I have only a few profile pix of Nyle). Forget about "selfies" or autographs.

Yet hope springs eternal, y'all, so I grabbed a taxi to "Kelly &.Whoever," knowing from past experiences that guests often come out to sign items before leaving. Arrived same time as Nyle, who went quickly inside with Peta (Alpha Male reached back to take her hand).

Afterwards? They left the exit area already in their SUV, with Nyle giving a quick wave.

Fans (not including me) later caught up to Mark's vehicle at a red light, and HE gave autographs. 

I'm glad I went, just to KNOW how it was. But I'm not pleased with the non-interaction with fans, especially given the nature of the show.

P.S. I'm also happy that I was able to see Nyle AT ALL, about 8 feet from me!!

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Stood for a goodly time outside GMA, expecting the finalists to dance a bit, as has been known to occur.

NOT ONLY was there no outdoors dancing, but.....

Mark didn't come out at all. Val/Ginger and Nyle/Peta did when they first arrived, with Nyle holding the MBT, but neither Nyle nor Val EVER  turned around to look at the fans, not even to the side (I have only a few profile pix of Nyle). Forget about "selfies" or autographs.

Yet hope springs eternal, y'all, so I grabbed a taxi to "Kelly &.Whoever," knowing from past experiences that guests often come out to sign items before leaving. Arrived same time as Nyle, who went quickly inside with Peta (Alpha Male reached back to take her hand).

Afterwards? They left the exit area already in their SUV, with Nyle giving a quick wave.

Fans (not including me) later caught up to Mark's vehicle at a red light, and HE gave autographs. 

I'm glad I went, just to KNOW how it was. But I'm not pleased with the non-interaction with fans, especially given the nature of the show.

Good on Mark for being as approachable/appreciative as he seems. :)

• Love 5
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

OMG, get out of my head. I've thought for a while now about a scenario with Cheryl coming back as a celebrity contestant - which is one of the reasons why I don't really buy the "it doesn't matter how much dance experience they have" rationale. I'm sure Cheryl would be a wonderful contestant, but I wouldn't be impressed by her, and I sure as hell wouldn't vote for her, because yeah, duh, of course she's good.

I'm sure most of the female stars have had some form of dance training, if you're calling taking a couple years of ballet or tap (especially when you're a kid) dance training. I took ballet a couple of years when I was younger, but I certainly don't look like a professional when I dance. I think the type and amount of training you've had makes a difference. I think there's a difference between the Paige's, Nicole S', Meryl's and people who've had "some" training.

51 minutes ago, movement said:

Nyle was impressive for a deaf person.  You have to admire him.  I wish more people would admit that they were just floored by what he did and that's why they voted for him.

It's also possible that people had multiple reasons for who they voted for and who they connected with. I voted for Nyle partially because I was floored by what he did, but also because I loved his personality, I enjoyed watching his dances, and felt an emotional connection to them. The fact that he was hot didn't hurt (though there have been plenty of hot guys who I haven't voted for.) With Paige, I could sort of appreciate that she was technically good, but her dancing left me cold. Her years and years of dance experience didn't help for me either.

• Love 3
(edited)

neither Nyle nor Val EVER  turned around to look at the fans, not even to the side (I have only a few profile pix of Nyle). Forget about "selfies" or autographs.

I can see why that would be disappointing, but at the same time I have to wonder what that kind of experience would be like for a deaf person. To be surrounded by people he can't even hear, as they descend upon him, wanting autographs or pictures, and there's no easy way for him to communicate with all of them... to me it just seems a little different than for a hearing 'star,' you know? I would think it would be a bit overwhelming. So I could understand why he might not engage with more than a wave or two.

Val, on the other hand...  come on, man.  *GRIN*

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 4
47 minutes ago, anonymiss said:

Good on Mark for being as approachable/appreciative as he seems. :)

He's a whole hell of a lot nicer than I would be, because if I had left somewhere and a bunch of people chased my car expecting autographs and photos, there is no way in hell I'd roll down my window and oblige.

• Love 9

I wish people would just admit that they voted for Nyle because they admired him, thought he was cute or whatever.  Prior dance experience should not be used for not voting for a person unless that's what you've done since the early seasons.  And looking at some of the winners, I don't think that's the case.

Well, I didn't vote for anyone, but if you're less impressed with someone because they've already had extensive dance training, I think that's a perfectly legitimate reason to vote for someone else you are far more impressed with. I wasn't rooting for Nyle just because he was deaf or cute or whatever. He was a really good dancer - and the fact that he couldn't hear the music made him amazing. To me, that's more rootable, period.

Granted, there are those who just want the best dancer to win and that's a legitimate motivation too. But you can't get bent out of shape over the best dancer losing when you have such an uneven playing field and people are allowed to vote for whoever they want for whatever reason. You'd have to have a different show where it was just all pro dancers pitted against each other. Then the best dancer should win, period.

• Love 5
44 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

NOT ONLY was there no outdoors dancing (Edited to note: Yes, there was, by four members of the "B" squad of pros.), but.....

P.S. I'm also happy that I was able to see Nyle AT ALL, about 8 feet from me!!

It seemed to be a very fast NYC trip.  I think they were slow getting out of LA to begin with.   It was around midnight PST that instagram pics/snapchats were being posted of outside/inside the private jet.  In NYC the priority is to get to GMA which was already in progress for their arrival.   There was a little outside greeting interview with Ginger and Val (I didn't see Peta or Nyle but it's logical that they would have lingered nearby assuming that since they were the winners, they would also be interviewed, which they weren't at that point.)  The so-called "after party" started pretty much on time after 8am.   This is the first time they didn't have each couple do their last dance. No explanation was given.  They substituted a game of guess the dance (macarena, gangum style, etc.) and then perform it (well, the pros did and the stars tried to follow along).  Then Peta/Nyle and Paige/Mark went straight off to Kelly&whoever, no doubt a rush through morning traffic. I don't know how far it is between studios. (Ginger/Val didn't go for some reason, no one said why.)  Then it was back to the airport and around noon Paige was snapchatting herself+Mark on a commercial flight heading back to LA.   

Usually they are pretty nice about interacting with fans but this time it seemed all very rushed.  I doubt it was not wanting to interact, they just didn't have time it seems.

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

I'm sure most of the female stars have had some form of dance training, if you're calling taking a couple years of ballet or tap (especially when you're a kid) dance training. I took ballet a couple of years when I was younger, but I certainly don't look like a professional when I dance. I think the type and amount of training you've had makes a difference. I think there's a difference between the Paige's, Nicole S', Meryl's and people who've had "some" training.

It's also possible that people had multiple reasons for who they voted for and who they connected with. I voted for Nyle partially because I was floored by what he did, but also because I loved his personality, I enjoyed watching his dances, and felt an emotional connection to them. The fact that he was hot didn't hurt (though there have been plenty of hot guys who I haven't voted for.) With Paige, I could sort of appreciate that she was technically good, but her dancing left me cold. Her years and years of dance experience didn't help for me either.

Did Paige "exaggerate" about ending dance training before high school?  You must have other info to show that she took dance training beyond her childhood if you're putting her in the same category as Nicole and Meryl.

Dance performance is so subjective.  I went on the journey with Paige.  And she was so much better in performing within the last month.   I was amazed by what Nyle accomplished but he didn't transport me.  I just saw Nyle.  I felt proud of him and emotional for him.  But I didn't feel emotional because of the routine.

I know most people have more than one reason why they do things.  My point was to just say you voted for Nyle because you admire him or for whatever reasons.  Most people will let you know they voted for Nyle but then they will let you know they didn't vote for Paige because of her "massive" dance training.  I don't think this is a fair statement unless you've always pinged the celeb for dance training.  And like I stated earlier, judging from past winners, this is not the case.

• Love 6
33 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Granted, there are those who just want the best dancer to win and that's a legitimate motivation too. But you can't get bent out of shape over the best dancer losing when you have such an uneven playing field and people are allowed to vote for whoever they want for whatever reason. You'd have to have a different show where it was just all pro dancers pitted against each other. Then the best dancer should win, period.

Not bent out of shape about the results.  It's a reality show.  Just wish people would be positive about voting for a person and not try to bring the other person down in order to elevate the other.  But like you say they are allowed to vote for whatever reason even if it is to demean the other celeb.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, movement said:

Did Paige "exaggerate" about ending dance training before high school?  You must have other info to show that she took dance training beyond her childhood if you're putting her in the same category as Nicole and Meryl.

Dance performance is so subjective.  I went on the journey with Paige.  And she was so much better in performing within the last month.   I was amazed by what Nyle accomplished but he didn't transport me.  I just saw Nyle.  I felt proud of him and emotional for him.  But I didn't feel emotional because of the routine.

I know most people have more than one reason why they do things.  My point was to just say you voted for Nyle because you admire him or for whatever reasons.  Most people will let you know they voted for Nyle but then they will let you know they didn't vote for Paige because of her "massive" dance training.  I don't think this is a fair statement unless you've always pinged the celeb for dance training.  And like I stated earlier, judging from past winners, this is not the case.

From what I've heard about Paige's background she had more than just a couple years of dance training and it wasn't just ballet or tap - she had ballroom training all of her life up until 13 or 14. Given that at 22 she's not that far removed from when she last had training, yeah, I put her in the same category as Meryl and Nicole. She's not as bad as the other two in that regard because they were, in some capacity, professional dancers and Paige is just a boxer, but it is still something that turned me off in regards to her.

I'm not sure if you're just basing this off of this board or others, but reading these forums, I've seen plenty of people go into why they liked Nyle and/or voted for him and I've seen plenty of people talk about why they didn't like Paige and it went beyond her years of training. There were others, like me, who didn't connect to her and/or found her boring. And I think it's a fair statement whether you've judged others in the past for it or not because for some people it might depend on the type of training. Plus, you can't judge people's comments based on who has won in the past. Just because some ringers have won in the past does not mean the same people who have reacted negatively to Paige voted for those people either. Paige made it to the final two, after all, so it's not like her ringer status hurt her too much. It's not really for you to critique others for why they don't like a particular dancer.

Uke, neither Nyle nor anyone else "lingered nearby" when Val and Ginger were spoken to, nor was anyone else interviewed outside.

sinkwriter, the fans, but for a few brought out from inside, were all behind metal barriers, so there was zero encroaching or space-invading.

I wonder why this visit was so rushed, as the time-line of flights and shows is the same as last year's.

Too bad for no tour, either.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

It's not really for you to critique others for why they don't like a particular dancer.

You are so right.  I really didn't mean to critique.  I just wanted positivity instead of negativity since the show was over.  Swaying time is over.  And I also think 8 years removed from a sport is a lot, especially when you're training in another sport.  But now I see that some may not see it that way.

• Love 2

Congrats to Nyle and Peta,. They had some truly memorable dances  and deserved the win.

Paige was technically the best dancer of the season but alot of her dances always felt like something was missing to me, which was a shame for someone with 13  years of dance training ( at just 22 years old) Also her "I was bullied in high school for being a pretty blond cheerleader" shtick was so silly.

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

From what I've heard about Paige's background she had more than just a couple years of dance training and it wasn't just ballet or tap - she had ballroom training all of her life up until 13 or 14. Given that at 22 she's not that far removed from when she last had training, yeah, I put her in the same category as Meryl and Nicole. She's not as bad as the other two in that regard because they were, in some capacity, professional dancers and Paige is just a boxer, but it is still something that turned me off in regards to her.

I'm not sure if you're just basing this off of this board or others, but reading these forums, I've seen plenty of people go into why they liked Nyle and/or voted for him and I've seen plenty of people talk about why they didn't like Paige and it went beyond her years of training. There were others, like me, who didn't connect to her and/or found her boring. And I think it's a fair statement whether you've judged others in the past for it or not because for some people it might depend on the type of training. Plus, you can't judge people's comments based on who has won in the past. Just because some ringers have won in the past does not mean the same people who have reacted negatively to Paige voted for those people either. Paige made it to the final two, after all, so it's not like her ringer status hurt her too much. It's not really for you to critique others for why they don't like a particular dancer.

Pretty sure Paige competed in dance competitions all through out high school.

• Love 2

Finally watching it now (I am a glutton for this nonsense.)  Two things of note:

Tom's robot dance at the beginning was on point.

Dress rehearsal footage, Erin: "Someone is getting eliminated tonight and if you normally watch, you know that means Keo."  It's a horrible thing to say and yet I choked on my tongue. 

• Love 12

I loved watching Paige and was sorry, but not surprised, that she didn't win.  My favourite dance of hers was the Austin Powers one, followed quickly by the Tina Turner one, but I liked them all  She had sparkle and zip and she dominated the dance floor when she was on it.  I do not think she was making stuff up about being bullied or for the reasons.  I am a high school teacher and I've seen every reason under the sun for people to be bullied - her stated reasons are not unusual.

I'm glad for Nyle that he won, but he wasn't my choice - as I've been watching for 18 seasons and only been happy with 6 winners, I'm used to the feeling.

• Love 9

I was also expecting each couple to dance a bit on GMA, but I doubt that any of the celebs/pros had any say in the matter.  My guess is that a few of the segment producers and executive producers at GMA just wanted to do something different than had been done over and over and over. 

As far as interacting with the crowd outside upon their arrival, the entire group from DWTS would have just been herded to the make-up dressing area quickly by GMA.  It appeared that traffic may have delayed their arrival a bit so there was no time to waste.

He was the only one of the four who was smiling as Tom was about to read the winner.  His partner looked nervous, Paige was cringing and looking at the floor, and Mark Ballas closed his eyes and then looked away.  I have a feeling that Nyle would have been happy even if he finished second.

My take is that Nyle was smiling because he could not comprehend that anyone else but his special self might possibly win.  He was just waiting for his coronation. 

I think Mark looked a little peeved because he knew the quality of Paige's dances, and he also knew that the two of them could not have done any more...and even Len agreed that Paige should win based on dance merit...and yet Mark knows that on DWTS the wonky fan base was going to reward Nyle no matter what.

• Love 8
(edited)

But like you say they are allowed to vote for whatever reason even if it is to demean the other celeb.

Well ... it's usually not that personal.  People just want to tweak the producers, who usually end up giving "winnable" celebrities to Derek while poor Tony usually gets the older women with no chance of winning or the celebrities with "attitude" (yes, Kate Gosselin, I'm speaking about you).  

Edited by AuntieDiane6
2 hours ago, UncleChuck said:

I was also expecting each couple to dance a bit on GMA, but I doubt that any of the celebs/pros had any say in the matter.  My guess is that a few of the segment producers and executive producers at GMA just wanted to do something different than had been done over and over and over. 

As far as interacting with the crowd outside upon their arrival, the entire group from DWTS would have just been herded to the make-up dressing area quickly by GMA.  It appeared that traffic may have delayed their arrival a bit so there was no time to waste

My impression is that traffic threw the entire GMA schedule off. They were making excuses for the delay on the air before everyone arrived.  I was under the impression that they should have been on much earlier, but had to wait. Therefore, it doesn't surprise me that the appearance seemed rushed, and the celebs hurried in and out of waiting vehicles. 

9 hours ago, vavera4ka said:

That would be the same as the Hough cousin, Riker Lynch from Season 20.  To be honest, I'd love to see Dmitry Sholokhov compete on DWTS.  How fun!

(edited)
13 hours ago, Thadeeeyus said:

I feel like Mark has been going through the motions the past few seasons. The choreography has been good, but I can see him reading the signs.  It's like you can read his face during the Week I judges comments when he realizes his partner isn't going to be pushed and he kind of gives up.  He does the work but his heart doesn't seem to be in it.  I think Mark needs to go off and do his own thing, follow his heart and live full-time in the music world.  

I know people look at things differently, but I absolutely do not understand this AT ALL. From what I saw, Mark was ON FIRE all season long and was so happy and excited to be working with Paige, which was reflected in his choreography and dancing.

Edited by calipiano81
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, calipiano81 said:

I know people look at things differently, but I absolutely do not understand this AT ALL. From what I saw, Mark was ON FIRE all season long and was so happy and excited to be working with Paige, which was reflected in his choreography and dancing.

Mark has looked so happy this season.  He clearly loved working with Paige.  But choreographically, it seems to me over the past few seasons that he's really honed his creative skills and brought more refinement into his choreography.   

• Love 2
5 hours ago, kitcloudkicker said:

Poor Mark and his Resting Bitch Face. People always think he's peeved. 

I think that's really it, LOL. Mark's been happy and relaxed and incredibly inspired this season, I've never seen him so thoroughly positive all of the time. When he's not laughing or smiling, his neutral face seems to translate as "annoyed" or "sad" to some people. That's the only explanation I can think of for the perception that he was somehow unhappy or frustrated this season? Huh? He's seemed  ecstatic throughout.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Daisytiff said:

I thought Ginger was likeable, an excellent dancer, highly improved, and worked really hard to get where she was.  She also had to do GMA, fly back and forth, and tend to a six month old baby on top of her hectic DWTS schedule. I think that saying she is only in the finals because ABC pushed her is really unfair. ABC didn't push her anymore than they did Other contestants, especially Nile. 

I think people saw how hard she worked and saw her improvement, and that, mixed with her likeability, was the reason she got votes and made it to the end. Saying she only got to the end because ABC had an agenda is really untrue in my opinion. 

Ginger actually got a complete leave of absence from GMA, to concentrate on DWTS, a few weeks ago; her backup, Rob Marciano, has been working GMA, & Ginger's other weather broadcast duties, full time lately. Ginger said yesterday (Wednesday), during GMA's annual DWTS "afterparty" with the Final 3 couples, she'll be back full time on GMA today (Thursday).

I watched some of the finale again last night, and boy do they need to get a new choreographer for the pros/troupe, or just let the pros choreograph more numbers. I'm really tired of seeing the all male or all female dancers when there's nothing but shirt ripping and booty shaking, respectively. Surely, Mandy Moore could come up with something better? More ballroom and more dances in hold please.  

• Love 4

Uncle Chuck,  It would have taken what, five seconds?, to turn their heads to wave, and I remain baffled as to why this didn't happen!

Also, I just re-watched the naming of the winning pair. I believe Nyle had a smile on because---TV! I was once on a TV competition and losing, and the only thought I had was "Keep smiling." Plus, as a model, Nyle surely knows how best his face looks. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/24/2016 at 11:06 PM, mstar1125 said:

I'm okay with Nyle's win. On top of being deaf, he came into the competition with absolutely no dance experience. Paige would have won, if this was about pure dance talent alone, but the winner is almost never about who is the best dancer as much as who is a good or great dancer that also wins over the audience with their personality and/or inspiring story. Nyle's win is typical reality show fare, but he actually is worthy of the win. 

I'm good with it, as well.  Not saying that Paige didn't work hard, or that everything was easy for her, but when Mark explained something, chances are, she knew what he was talking about (and there was no interpreter involved).  For me, Nyle had to compete with TWO roadblocks against him. His hearing impairment AND competing against someone with a dance back ground. 

And lost in this whole debate is Peta. What a job she did to figure out how to signal him and keep him on the beat (most of the time) on the dance floor when he has total hearing loss. She deserved that trophy as well. She had to work harder than the other pros, having to explain each movement and teach it without being able to tell Nyle to do something at a certain beat of the song. He's been deaf since birth. Exactly HOW do you explain music and moving to different kinds of music? Plus, to communicate through a third party any time she needed to tell him something?  Well done, Peta. 

Regarding Mark, and whether or not it is his last season, and whether or not he enjoyed himself, what was the nickname he had a TWoP? Wasn't it Spatz, or something like that? The Spatz Mark seems to be toned down. Maybe it's maturity and personal happiness, or maybe he misses Derek and Julianne. Team Ballas-Hough is down to one member. Team Chmerkovskiy-Dovolani gained Peta (and Maks never seemed to actually go away), and now seems to be the team in control. I think that the show still needs Mark, until another male pro steps up and shows the choreographic chops and develops a strong fan base, like Derek, Mark, Val and Maks have/had. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 5

About Mark looking annoyed. I'm not one that thinks he always looks like that..I thought he actually seemed pretty happy with Paige this year but right before the results hmm yeah I did think he looked pissed. There was one recent finale,  I'm 98% sure it was when Alfonso won and Mark seemed pretty annoyed at that result as well because I remember reading that he wouldnt even talk to the press after the show. I can fully understand being bitter this year coming up short because this was a case of the better dancer losing, but did he really think Sadie was going to win against Alfonso? Maybe he should take a season off and take a breather a little.

2 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

And lost in this whole debate is Peta. What a job she did to figure out how to signal him and keep him on the beat (most of the time) on the dance floor when he has total hearing loss. She deserved that trophy as well. She had to work harder than the other pros, having to explain each movement and teach it without being able to tell Nyle to do something at a certain beat of the song. He's been deaf since birth. Exactly HOW do you explain music and moving to different kinds of music? Plus, to communicate through a third party any time she needed to tell him something?  Well done, Peta. 

Completely agree. For all the talk there is about how amazing Nyle is I dont think Peta is getting nearly as much credit as she should. I suspect we didnt even see on screen half of how difficult teaching Nyle was for her.

Carrie Ann's final Access Hollywood blog centered around her learning sign language and how from day one she wanted to be able to sign to Nyle. She could be OTT and annoying at times but her words here are very heartfelt.

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, howmanywords said:

Carrie Ann's final Access Hollywood blog centered around her learning sign language and how from day one she wanted to be able to sign to Nyle. She could be OTT and annoying at times but her words here are very heartfelt.

Aw, this is sweet! (And I'm sure, to some people, a little corny, but I think it's sweet.)

To Anyone Who Wants to Try something New but is Afraid;

To all of you who have a desire, a dream, or a daring thought of doing something you have never done before, of trying something you wish you had done many years ago and may be afraid you are too old to do now. 

To those of you who feel a tug in your heart when you watch someone dancing, singing, painting, volunteering, or reaching out to help when no one else will, because deep in your heart, you want to be that person… 

To the shy souls that want to say hello to a neighbor they always see but have never learned his/her name, or to the successful business people who really just want to start their own small business and simplify their lives, 

I offer you this: Life is a journey, your personal journey.  

It is yours to explore your heart's desires and your most secret dreams.  

If you listen to the whispers of your heart, even if you think people may laugh or judge you, you will find yourself satisfied and you will give yourself joy. 

For life is about growth and expanding, exploring the unknown, and pursuing your own bliss. 

Start small, or go for it all.  
But I urge you all to dare to live the life you want to live. 
And maybe even one day, we will see you on Dancing with the Stars.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, DancinCat said:

I am so envious of Nyle!! Not because he won, but because he didn't have to listen to Pitbull.

or those chicks "singing"...

actually few times this season he was at a major advantage, not hearing how the band butchers songs and painfully forces a beat into a classic dance. He had Peta and she was his beat and his music, always perfect, always stable, always making sense.

• Love 2