Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E11: Finale - Night 2

• Start Topic

(edited)

Well that is a disappointment!  I knew that she did not win when Len gave her the kiss of death statement that she should be the winner if it was based on dancing alone.

Edited by smiley13
  • Love 8
(edited)

Random thoughts on the finale:

Why are the finalists doing encore dances? None of them really interest me enough to want to see them again.

Why did Antonio and Von dance in the guy dance? No female contestant joined the girl's dance. I'm selfishly annoyed. (And also a little disappointed, mostly because this dance wasn't as ... um ... entertaining? as the GDFR dance from last spring or the Pony redux from the fall season.)

Who are all these random female dancers? Are they really necessary?

Sasha-the-crab is back!

Nyle's scores for his fusion dance was the first time I realized that they've been scoring him on a curve. I wish they didn't, because he's a good dancer, but they've been scoring him as a good deaf dancer. That makes me sad for him. I also wish they had given him constructive feedback so that he could have worked on the things he needed instead of throwing out platitudes like "inspiring" and "amazing". Yeah, he is, but he's not perfect. Help him be the best that he can be, don't let him stagnate.

Clearly they gave Ginger three 9s to "justify" her third place finish.

This finale makes me realize I don't care who wins. Where are Artem and Shannon?

Oh, Nyle won? Congratulations, DWTS. You got your first differently-abled winner. And congrats, Nyle, on being a two-time reality show winner.

My takeaway? #ArtemforSeason23Champion

Edited by McManda
  • Love 3

I agree she's the better dancer, but given that he started from ground zero and she grew up with dance, I'll be happy with his win. It's a tremendous boost to him and the deaf community.

And I learned in Season One of this show, it's not about the best dancer.

• Love 21

So. Much. Filler. 

Damn. I could even deal with the finale being 90 minutes, but 2 hours of rehashed clip packages, gimmicky dances (though I did like the men and women's dances), and cheesy skits. It is e-damn-nough.

Seeing Wanya and Lindsay made me sad we didn't get a freestyle from them.

Good for Nyle and Peta! They weren't my faves, but I enjoyed watching them this season.

And kudos to Paige and Mark. I loved their dances tonight, and really liked them all season long.

• Love 9

What a predictable season... I don't mind Niles winning , in fact, congratulations to him! But could Dancing With the Stars be less obvious about who they want to win? It makes watching not very fun...kinda like knowing what's going to happen during a movie in the first 2 minutes. Last season it was Bindi, this season it's Nile. They take away fro the talent of the celebrity by fixing the show around them in that way.

Oh well...

• Love 4

WHAT?! The guy who was coddled, pittied, overscored, played the deaf card whenever possible, and rarely received criticism won?! I did not see that coming. I hope this won't turn Nyle into a smug, self righteous ass, that would be a real shame.

• Love 13

Question. I thought that last week Tom mentioned that the scores from last week would count towards choosing the winner tonight which is a change from the way it normally works in the finals. He said the same thing again last night. Then tonight at the beginning of the show when they showed the leaderboard, it only included the scores from last night and nothing from last week. Did I misunderstand what Tom was saying? This show seems to change the rules all the time in recent seasons so I never have any idea what is happening. LOL

(edited)

No, he wasn't the best dancer but this show is what it is and I knew since Week 1 that Nyle and his story and journey were going to be really hard to beat. I'm happy for Peta but sucks for Mark because Paige was so good but honestly, based on viewer reaction I saw online, I'm shocked she made it to second place. I knew Ginger was third and those 9's for her fusion was a "thanks for playing, now goodbye" but right up until the end, I really wasn't sure which way this would go. My gut said Nyle but again, Paige made it so much further than I thought she would a few weeks ago so I really thought she could have pulled it off. 

Also, I say it every season but Mandy Moore needs to be fired. Other than the beach theme number, all of these dances and bumpers were a hot ass mess. And I've never been more embarrassed for these female dancers than I was first, watching that cringe-worthy "look at us with our aprons like the dutiful housewives and now watch us slut it up'" and that number with Pitbull. Was any of that supposed to be dancing because all I saw was a lot of HMV and grinding up and down. Seriously, I can't with Mandy's shit anymore. 

'

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 10

Is Pitbull the brother-in-law of someone on the show? I feel as if he's been on DWTS several times and for no good reason.

That Summer Thing group dance was cute as heck. 

Hearing Wanya agree with Marla about wanting to have been in the competition longer made my heart hurt. I really wish he'd been in the finals. He dances with a lot of joy.

Say what you will about Nyle and his back story...those tears looked uber-real when Carrie Ann signed to him after he danced. That was really touching.

I would have been fine with either Paige or Nyle winning, so Ginger coming in third was A-OK.

• Love 17

I'm okay with Nyle's win. On top of being deaf, he came into the competition with absolutely no dance experience. Paige would have won, if this was about pure dance talent alone, but the winner is almost never about who is the best dancer as much as who is a good or great dancer that also wins over the audience with their personality and/or inspiring story. Nyle's win is typical reality show fare, but he actually is worthy of the win. 

• Love 18
2 minutes ago, mstar1125 said:

I'm okay with Nyle's win. On top of being deaf, he came into the competition with absolutely no dance experience. Paige would have won, if this was about pure dance talent alone, but the winner is almost never about who is the best dancer as much as who is a good or great dancer that also wins over the audience with their personality and/or inspiring story. Nyle's win is typical reality show fare, but he actually is worthy of the win. 

I 100% agree to that sir.

• Love 6

Damn. I could even deal with the finale being 90 minutes, but 2 hours of rehashed clip packages, gimmicky dances (though I did like the men and women's dances), and cheesy skits. It is e-damn-nough.

Be glad it wasn't three hours as it's been many other times. Now that's torture. 

Um, didn't Maks leave this show? So why is his mug constantly on my television while watching said show?

• Love 9
(edited)

I'm not one for Carrie Ann's theatrics, but damn if she didn't make me cry when she signed. Actually, I think the tears started with Peta and then I was a mess by the time Nyle reacted to it all. So happy he won. He was such a joy to watch. I couldn't be happier for his win, along side Peta of course.

Interesting that both of Peta's wins have been against Mark.

Edited by SophiaPehawkins
  • Love 16

And I learned in Season One of this show, it's not about the best dancer.

Yeah, I'd say this is the 9th or 10th time the objectively better dancer lost. Maybe since Donald Driver won over Katherine Jenkins? It's been a long time though. More recently the finalists have been decently evenly matched in dance ability.

1 minute ago, truthaboutluv said:

Be glad it wasn't three hours as it's been many other times. Now that's torture. 

Um, didn't Maks leave this show? So why is his mug constantly on my television while watching said show?

Because he is Maks and he must continue to feed his oversized ego!  :)

• Love 4
(edited)
13 minutes ago, McManda said:

Sasha-the-crab is back!

This was the best part of the finale for me. Poor Sasha probably thought that he could escape the crab costume after getting out of the troupe. 

Edited by Callaphera
  • Love 5

I'm okay with this win. And a bit surprised, considering how much Ginger was pushed in our faces. I really did want Paige to win, but I like Nyle enough and I'm happy for him. I have a feeling as well as others speculated that Mark may not be returning next season and that makes me sad. I always go back and forth on liking him. One season I do, one season I don't.  Either way, I remember many of his dances. 

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Julianne left the show, too and has been back multiple times. She returned to promote that Godawful movie of hers and even as a judge. Maks' brother and fiancé are both on the show. His presence doesn't bother me any more than past contestants (Alfonso) constantly showing up.

• Love 5
(edited)

Because he is Maks and he must continue to feed his oversized ego!  :)

Every time I see Maks, I just roll my eyes. He just adds nothing to the show for me.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 13

Mark and Paige apparently knew ahead  of time that Nyle won. Paige wouldn't look at the camera and Mark looked ready to stab someone. Geez. 

Congratualtions, Nyle and Peta!!! That was so sweet that CAI learned to sign something to him. Made me tear up. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Julianne left the show, too and has been back multiple times. She returned to promote that Godawful movie of hers and even as a judge. Maks' brother and fiancé are both on the show. His presence doesn't bother me any more than past contestants (Alfonso) constantly showing up.

Okay...good for you. My comment was my comment and reflects only my feelings. I'm not looking for support for said comment. And ftr, everytime Julianne showed up to promote one of her flop movies, I rolled my eyes and made a snarky comment then too. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 7
(edited)

I almost couldn't watch that dreck.  They've been using the same finale formula for the last few seasons and it's really showing its age.  I guess it was pretty apropos of the end of the season which just seemed to drag after a pretty solid start.

Congrats to Nyle.  I figured he'd be the winner once Wanya was knocked out.  Neither Ginger or Paige quite overcame their blandness enough to win.

I know Witney has been knocking down pregnancy rumors left and right, but she had some very poor fitting clothes tonight in the extra packages.  

I'm ready for a season where Peta, Sharna, Val, Mark and Witney all sit out anyways.  

Edited by Saylii
  • Love 1

I am a recovering longtime Maks fan and would not mind if he was at DWTS all the time if he didn't endlessly insist that he is done with the show anytime anyone asks. He has been at the rehearsal space nearly every day this season and has been hanging out in the red room like the senior who graduated high school but didn't go away to college for the last two plus seasons. 

• Love 9

Carrie Ann's constant tears on the show are irritating, but, damn it, she got me to tear up when she took the effort to learn how to sign a few sentences to Nyle. His reaction did me in. That was a really sweet, genuine moment. Peta's affection and admiration for him was affecting as well. 

• Love 16

While I agree Nyle was shown favoritism and often scored higher than he should have I'm not going to blame him or the show for Paige losing because the judges put her at the top of the leaderboard these past 2 weeks and she danced last..short of rigging the votes I thought they at least tried. However I strongly suspect Nyle has been killing the votes every week. The deaf community has really been rallying around him. When Val even told Access Hollywood he wanted Nyle to win I figured that was a sign of just how much support he really has.

• Love 3
(edited)

I had a feeling Nyle was going to win. As I said in an earlier thread, he had the trifecta - eye candy, inspirational backstory, and good dancing. I really liked his partnership with Peta, too. Congratulations to them!

That said, I would have been okay with either of the other two winning. There was no obvious dead weight in the finals this year, as we've seen in previous seasons.(*coughBristolPalincough*)

I totally forgot Mischa Barton was on the show this season until I saw her tonight. 

What the heck was Erin wearing tonight? Ugh. 

Edited by Sister Havana
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, TeeMo said:

I am a recovering longtime Maks fan and would not mind if he was at DWTS all the time if he didn't endlessly insist that he is done with the show anytime anyone asks. He has been at the rehearsal space nearly every day this season and has been hanging out in the red room like the senior who graduated high school but didn't go away to college for the last two plus seasons. 

lol...he's officially Matthew McConaughey's character in Dazed and Confused. And thank you for mentioning all the declarations of being done and let's not forget all the shade and comments about how awful and horrible said show is. That's what bugs me. Other people leave to do other things or just move on but are nothing but grateful or complimentary about the show. Maks rags on the show constantly, gives these big dramatic declarations of being done and yet his mug is on my screen for half the damn season. 

• Love 9

Is there a specific instance of Ginger being pushed in our faces? Or did I miss it during the multiple times the show was brought to a halt so we could be reminded of Nyle's disability, of which he doesn't want to be judged on but has DEAF Dancing With the Stars contestant on his Instagram profile (written in all caps).

• Love 2
1 minute ago, BamaGirl said:

Which stars weren't there tonight? Mischa. Marla. Anyone else?

Marla was there, I think. Wasn't she in the beach blanket bingo number?

3 minutes ago, BrendaJane said:

Is there a specific instance of Ginger being pushed in our faces? Or did I miss it during the multiple times the show was brought to a halt so we could be reminded of Nyle's disability, of which he doesn't want to be judged on but has DEAF Dancing With the Stars contestant on his Instagram profile (written in all caps).

I'm still bitter about how they introduced her first package.  Leaky boobs and all.  Then her husband is a complete leech.  But they seemed to back off a lot of the references to GMA on DWTS.  Didn't stop GMA from slobbing that knob every day though.

1 minute ago, BamaGirl said:

Which stars weren't there tonight? Mischa. Marla. Anyone else?

I thought they were both in the opening number, unless the studio bits were pretaped.  Only a few of the cast offs got to dance again though.

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, SophiaPehawkins said:

I'm not one for Carrie Ann's theatrics, but damn if she didn't make me cry when she signed. Actually, I think the tears started with Peta and then I was a mess by the time Nyle reacted to it all. So happy he won. I think he was such a joy to watch. I couldn't be happier for his win, along side Peta of course.

Interesting that both of Peta's wins have been against Mark.

Yeah, that part was moving.

I had totally forgotten about Mischa.  Even when she was there on the couple of episodes she was in, she really wasn't there emotionally.  I hope they don't choose someone like her to participate for the fall season.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Uke said:

"If this was judged purely on dance...".  If only.

Disappointed but nothing to be done about it.  

If only the show wasn't called "Dancing with the Stars." LOL 

The best dancer doesn't always win this show but I am still frustrated with the issues Nyle had that he didn't improve that had nothing to do with being deaf. His posture and frame almost seemed worse tonight in the fusion dance and his feet were messy all season. I don't mind cutting him some slack on musicality or timing issues and in truth he had very, very few of those which was pretty amazing. It was remarkable how he connected to the music without being able to hear it. But the hunching and the bum sticking out could have been worked on and never was and that frustrates me. 

• Love 11

I'm not through watching yet, but ZOMG WTF was Erin wearin'?  That was so unpleasant looking, it made me cringe.  It was like the design on the dress was supposed to cover her body, but they didn't realize until 5 minutes before the show that the design was too short, so someone said, just wear a cami and some underwear.  That was distractingly unattractive.

• Love 8
(edited)

I know there's always complaints about how long the finale is, but I kind of love it. It's like this huge party and celebration of the entire season. Of course there's always some contestants I like seeing more than others, but they always go out on a high note. There's a lot of pro numbers and I'm easy to please so I can't complain.

I'm not through watching yet, but ZOMG WTF was Erin wearin'?  That was so unpleasant looking, it made me cringe.  It was like the design on the dress was supposed to cover her body, but they didn't realize until 5 minutes before the show that the design was too short, so someone said, just wear a cami and some underwear.  That was distractingly unattractive.

Ha! I saw this exact sentiment all over Twitter. She's an attractive woman, but they put her in some garish getups. I was also cringing at her "dancing" in the opening number. She's so awkward.

Edited by SophiaPehawkins
  • Love 4
17 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

Carrie Ann's constant tears on the show are irritating, but, damn it, she got me to tear up when she took the effort to learn how to sign a few sentences to Nyle. His reaction did me in. That was a really sweet, genuine moment. Peta's affection and admiration for him was affecting as well. 

Me too.  And I appreciated the show kinda going silent and giving her the time to say what she wanted to say to him.  It was a genuine moment for Nyle, but a special moment for the show, too.  (And I'm never this corny!)

• Love 7
36 minutes ago, TeeMo said:

Question. I thought that last week Tom mentioned that the scores from last week would count towards choosing the winner tonight which is a change from the way it normally works in the finals. He said the same thing again last night. Then tonight at the beginning of the show when they showed the leaderboard, it only included the scores from last night and nothing from last week. Did I misunderstand what Tom was saying? This show seems to change the rules all the time in recent seasons so I never have any idea what is happening. LOL

A bunch of us on twitter thought we heard just the votes from last week were carried forward and they kept showing just Monday's total scores.  I think the scores and votes from last week + this week didn't give them the result they wanted so I guess they changed it.  

• Love 2

I knew Paige lost when Len said his comment that she is the one to beat if on dancing alone.

It's kind of sad really that she lost, she had everything going for her, going last both nights. She broke that theory, she's also the first contestant to lose in the finals with more than a 1 point lead. (Mel, Zendaya, Katherine are some who had a 1 point lead and lost).

Any other season she'd win, but unfortunately once TPTB saw that Nyle had an ounce of rhythm it was over, they wanted a disabled winner for so long with attempts like Amy and Noah, but hopefully now that they got it finally, they can back off that wagon for a bit.

I suspect Mark will never win again, if he can't win with someone has amazing, versatile, and humble as Paige, he won't ever and it's sad. I wish he got a win on his birthday, talk about the worst birthday ever, geesh.

• Love 9
1 minute ago, Uke said:

A bunch of us on twitter thought we heard just the votes from last week were carried forward and they kept showing just Monday's total scores.  I think the scores and votes from last week + this week didn't give them the result they wanted so I guess they changed it.  

That was also my suspicion and I don't usually hang out on the grassy knoll. I know Tom mentioned last week's scores counting at least twice - last week before at the start of the show and again last night. He made a point to mention that this was the first time votes from the previous week would count in the finale. If they had carried over scores, Paige would have had a 5 point lead over the other two. Then tonight they showed that leaderboard with just last night's scores and no mention at all of last week. It was super odd.