Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E11: Finale - Night 2

• Start Topic

(edited)

Due to stormy weather and the ABC affiliate having very poor over the air reception (I really need a kid to hold the rabbit ears), I only got to see Paige's fusion dance, I really liked it. I didn't know why Nyle was crying, thank you for the info that Carrie Ann signed to him. At times I had no signal and at times it was so pixilated, I saw things like the male head on the female body and the female head on the male body. And the closed captioning gave me the visual that I hear in rap/hip hop music, words like "bonraxy" "I'm rey".

I hated Erin's look. I really hate the leotard/bathing suit/underwear under glittery mesh look.

I was happy with the final two and would have been fine with either winning. Congratulations Nyle.

Edited by friendperidot
8 minutes ago, crowceilidh said:

I'm not through watching yet, but ZOMG WTF was Erin wearin'?  That was so unpleasant looking, it made me cringe.  It was like the design on the dress was supposed to cover her body, but they didn't realize until 5 minutes before the show that the design was too short, so someone said, just wear a cami and some underwear.  That was distractingly unattractive.

I was just coming to post about Erin's distractingly ugly dress! I kept hoping she'd change mid-show, women hosting a glitzy TV event often do, but alas, it was not meant to be. The sheer dress over underwear look can't go away fast enough!

"The best dancer didn't win!" I've heard that one since the first season, yet somehow the show endures.

I like "Work From Home" well enough but Fifth Harmony's performance tonight was a bit of a mess. I still can't believe they're the biggest success story from the US X Factor.

• Love 4

Congrats to Nyle and Peta! Very well-deserved win! I think he's the kind of contestant this show is about. He came in with no dance experience and had an amazing journey and really connect with the audience. I haven't voted since Alfonso & Witney, but all my votes went to him.

9 minutes ago, PBGamer89 said:

I suspect Mark will never win again, if he can't win with someone has amazing, versatile, and humble as Paige, he won't ever and it's sad. I wish he got a win on his birthday, talk about the worst birthday ever, geesh.

I suspect he won't win again because he's probably done. So many comments tonight felt like good-bye from him. I don't think Paige is the best he ever had nor do I think it's impossible for him to be paired with someone as good or better.

I don't normally cry watching this show, but the way Nyle broke down after his performance was so genuine and moving. And then Carrie-Ann, who I can take or leave on her best day, making the effort to sign to him was really wonderful.

• Love 8

My favorite part of the show was the game show skit with Von, Whitney and Lindsey. Throw Chelsie (whom I love) into the mix, and it makes you wonder about Utah's schools.   Just kidding.... I really loved it.  

I wanted Paige to win because I love her dance routines and Nile's dance tonight was ....rough.  I don't know if winning matters that much for a contestant who makes the finals but I do feel for Mark.  I've loved his partnerships the past couple of years and I'd love for him to get another win.  

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

I hated Erin's look. I really hate the leotard/bathing suit/underwear under glittery mesh look.

That was horrible! Erin is such a beautiful woman, and this show dresses her terribly. In the flashbacks I cringed (again) at the "wet hair" look. There were at least 3 underwear under sheer dresses - Witney getting married to Artem (lucky girl!), Erin, and Ginger in their fusion dance. Please let this look die. 

I think Mischa was the only former celeb not in the beach dance? I saw everyone else, even Marla and Geraldo. Either she knew she'd bring the whole thing down, or the producers knew it, but either way: thank you!

What in the world was Maks trying to do at the end of his Maks and Val's Mini Train Tour dance? That was awkward. 

I wish Paige had won, but I'm just so glad that Ginger didn't...I don't think anyone could have beat Nyle this season. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Paige was the best dancer....but that's not what DWTS is about.  Nyles wasn't the best but he was really good and his accomplishments in dancing are amazing.  I did think that he may have started to lose votes because he was getting a  little egotistical toward the end and I wasn't sure he was going to be the shoo-in he seemed to be earlier in the season.  I'm not quite sure how Ginger got as far as she did but I do know that ABC seemed to quietly promote her because....she works for ABC.

I do enjoy most of the numbers on the finale but they could have cut it by half an hour and why can't production allow enough time at the end when they announce the winners, etc?  This seems to happen on the majority of the shows.

Marla was there.  She danced as well as in one of the interview packages.  Even Mischa was there.  Why?  Who cares.  She was one of the most disinterested contestants ever.

For the most part, it was a good season with a number of talented contestants....even though I wouldn't exactly call most of them 'stars'.

Edited by breezy424
  • Love 3
(edited)

I don't have a problem with Nyle winning, but it is predictable.  While I can't always predict who will make it to the finals and be the runner up, I have called every winner since Alfonso from day one of their season.  So that always sucks some joy out of it, even when I'm rooting for that person.  It was obvious Alfonso was winning.  It was obvious Rumer was winning.  It was obvious Bindi was winning and now it was obvious Nyle was winning...and I don't mean that in a best dancer sort of way.  I just mean in a combination of dance talent, compelling storyline, having the backing of TPTB and etc.  I just want next season to be a little less obvious. That said, I didn't expect Paige to make it to the end at the beginning, not because of lack of talent, but I didn't know if people would warm to her or not.

Maybe it's just me, but I get the sense this might have been Mark's last season.  It just feels like he is ready to move on, focus on his music, get married and etc.  Plus he has a ton of injuries, so his real dance career is winding down.  So I kind of wanted him to win to get that win for the road, but alas it was not to be.  Unfortunately I don't see any pros in the wings ready to take over his choreographic shoes.  To me losing Mark is more of a loss than losing Derek.  But everything Mark has said and posted makes me feel like this might have been his swan song.

I think they repeatedly get Pitbull because most other music artists aren't chomping at the bit to perform on DWTS anymore.  Yes, it still does well in the ratings, but I don't think it's seen as cool.  So you aren't likely to get a lot of the up and coming artists unless pushed or forced by their labels (5th Harmony).  For instance, earlier in the season DWTS for some reason produced this online music video of Jenna/Artem dancing to Zayn's Pillowtalk and the idea from the promotion seemed to be that they were begging Zayn to appear on the show so they could dance it live?  Or hoping the video would go viral and catch his attention?  But DWTS is seen as far too uncool to nab that sort of up and coming artist.  So we get Pitbull for the millionth time.

Also was it me or were Edyta and Karina not included in the female pro number?  Are they not considered cool enough to hang out with the rest of the kids anymore or do they just not care to degrade themselves in Mandy Moore's crappy choreography?  I wouldn't blame them for the latter. Mandy Moore should be fired.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 9
(edited)

I don't know. This season really didn't do it for me, it was kind of fun at times, but I don't know. I didn't really care who won, really. And the only thing I got angry about was the push on Ginger. She seems nice, I'm sure, but the judges were always like, "so good! amazing!" on a ton of her dances and I just never felt a connection to any of them. Last fall's season at least had it's moments that I enjoyed, maybe not on purpose from the show but still made me laugh and laugh. I'm hoping next fall will be better.

I, too, think this is Mark's last season. His back injury this season, and I'm pretty sure he had one on a previous season, right? And that makes me sad because I remember a lot of Mark dances. Sometimes his dances are hit or miss, but I remember most. . And he always seems like a good partner. He was really good with the Sadie girl and the Hunger Games girl and he was good with Paige this season. 

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, TeeMo said:

Question. I thought that last week Tom mentioned that the scores from last week would count towards choosing the winner tonight which is a change from the way it normally works in the finals. He said the same thing again last night. Then tonight at the beginning of the show when they showed the leaderboard, it only included the scores from last night and nothing from last week. Did I misunderstand what Tom was saying? This show seems to change the rules all the time in recent seasons so I never have any idea what is happening. LOL

This season they included the audience vote scores from last week in determining the champions. They used the Judges scores from both nights of the Finale, as always.

(edited)

Ever since his last win in Season 8, Mark has had a lot of partners who were good-to-great dancers, but most came with small and/or non-DWTS friendly fanbases. Paige, unfortunately, is the latest one to fit that bill. Mark's work this season was so stellar, though, and Paige was so consistently slaying, I thought they had a shot. The fact they got to second, when a lot of people were expecting Paige to be a shock elimination at some point, was based purely on merit.

If Mark gets an excellent dancer with a large, DWTS-friendly fanbase, I think he could win again (although those seem to go to Derek and Val first...)

Edited by calipiano81
  • Love 4

Congrats Nyle, you deserve it.

The real MVP of the night was Witney for grabbing that dropped kitchen towel during the girls only dance. I was expecting another Wanya faceplant. Since the pros have trouble with properly throwing away props, maybe they shouldn't be used.

It's always funny seeing Erin and Tom in dress rehearsal. Tom is always calm, cool and collected on show night while Erin is an awkward, bumbling mess. It's amazing to think she actually rehearses.

I'm glad the director of the show is leaving. Hopefully, the new director's first decision will be to cancel the troupe.

Dancers I would like out: Keo since they humiliated him so much, Karina, Annoying ferret faced Alan, didn't care for Shannon.

I enjoyed having Edyta back, and I would like Kym to return. I said this last season but Vincent Noiseux is hot, more of him please.

Love Carrie Ann signing to Nyle. Very thoughtful.

I'm already regretting saying this, but I miss Derek. He gave us all a well needed break but I'm ready for him to come back.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Mittengirl said:

Every time I see Pitbull I am struck with the same thought - "Who knew Voldemort could sing?"

Well, "sing". And that was a very obvious lip synch fail during his performance tonight. Is it just me or does every Pitbull song sound the same? On the one hand, I always know when a song is a Pitbull song but on the other, I can't tell any of his songs apart for each other.

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, calipiano81 said:

Ever since his last win in Season 8, Mark has had a lot of partners who were good-to-great dancers, but most came with small and/or non-DWTS friendly fanbases. Paige, unfortunately, is the latest one to fit that bill. Mark's work this season was so stellar, though, and Paige was so consistently slaying, I thought they had a shot. The fact they got to second, when a lot of people were expecting Paige to be a shock elimination at some point, was based purely on merit.

If Mark gets an excellent dancer with a large, DWTS-friendly fanbase, I think he could win again (although those seem to go to Derek and Val first...)

IMO if Mark gets an adequate dancer with a large, DWTS-friendly fanbase who will vote and who has some kind of hook for TPTB to want to push, THEN he can win again.  

The problem is, Mark cares.  He cares about his partner.  He cares about teaching her to dance. He cares about the viewers and wants to give them an entertaining show with something they haven't seen 100 times already.  

• Love 10

Bindi has dropped at least 20 pounds since her first rehearsal last season.  She looked fab in this finale.  I am glad she took the head start on fitness she got on the show and kept it going.  Good on her!

Mark is done,  Now, maybe, for once, Tony can get a decent partner and a real shot?  Nah.  That would be cray cray.

I was stunned that Ginger got all 9s.  If only that type of realism informed the jidging all season.

Is this the first time they did the champion reveal outdoors?  It worked very well.

I really missed Emma this season.  

Congrats to the latest male who won the vote over a superior female dancer.  Lather.  Rinse.  Repeat.

• Love 1
(edited)

JR Martinez remains the first disabled winner of DWTS; Nyle is the second.

Erin's dress was terrible. So many beautiful ball gowns in LA, and that's the one they picked for her to wear for the finale.

I laughed at the Von, Lindsey, and Witney quiz show. Good fun.

I'll miss Mark if he doesn't return to the show. I'm a fan of his creativity and imagination. His Austin Powers dance with Paige is my favorite routine of this season -- I'm a sucker for quirky, funky, silly comedy routines. If he leaves to focus on his music career, I wish him great success.

Hope Artem gets a good partner next season. I'd like to see a lot more of him. Yumm.

Don't go away mad, Maks. Just go away!

Edited by Woodrose
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, howmanywords said:

While I agree Nyle was shown favoritism and often scored higher than he should have I'm not going to blame him or the show for Paige losing because the judges put her at the top of the leaderboard these past 2 weeks and she danced last..short of rigging the votes I thought they at least tried. However I strongly suspect Nyle has been killing the votes every week. The deaf community has really been rallying around him. When Val even told Access Hollywood he wanted Nyle to win I figured that was a sign of just how much support he really has.

I didn't know anything about Nyles but after the 1st week I knew he would make the finals.  He had too good of a story (which also had the deaf-built-in fanbase + ANTM fanbase + the pretty boy fanbase + the heart string fanbase) not to make it.  Then when the judges decided to heap on the praise and ignore the faults (kinda like they did for Bindi), I felt he could win.  Then when people started to justify his ego statement, I knew he was the winner.  He wasn't my choice but a competent celeb with a large fanbase > a great dancer with a suspect fanbase. 

I stopped watching live a few weeks back.  There was no need.   The judges had already tipped their hand and the viewers as well.  I mean even Wanya couldn't gain support--being in the bottom a couple of times.  Then when he messed up, I knew he wouldn't get the "Nyle-treatment" where people would justify/gloss over.  And he didn't.   So I just watch the clips.  Usually Mark and Paige had the routines I would watch several times. 

TPTB did all they could to make sure Paige made the finals.  They knew she wouldn't win but they didn't want another "Sabrina" redo.   Without Mark's popularity and creative choreography, I doubt if Paige would've made it to the finals.  I don't care how good she is.  There was just no significant overlapping between MMA/UFC and DWTS.  And people don't feel sorry for the pretty girl.  So the bullying angle (which probably was traumatic for her) didn't register.  They also walked the company line in keeping Ginger until the end.  So TPTB had all check marks for the finals.  They had the finals they wanted.  Company line was checked.  Best dancer was checked.  Favorite personality was checked.

For those who all of a sudden don't support celebs with dancing experience, take a look at previous seasons.  If you voted for Nyles fine but don't use the "Paige came in with dance experience" card.  The woman really carries the ballroom routines.  TPTB realized that a female celeb with no training or exposure had no chance.  I would bet that all the women this season, including Mischa, had some kind of dance training or exposure.  Grant it that some might've been years ago but they had it.  I think they need it because of being the "picture" and they're not going to gain support just because they look good like the male celebs enjoy.

• Love 7
(edited)

Did anyone else notice Maks running into Jenna near the end of their dance together? It looked like Jenna was supposed to put her head down so that Maks could jump over her, but she remained straight up and he ran into her. It wasn't immediately noticeable, but when I rewound, you could definitely tell it was a mistake. It appeared as if Jenna was holding in a laugh afterwards.

Edited by MsTree
  • Love 3
(edited)

I thought they had announced the winners outside before, but after a quick youtube check just now, this is the first time. They didn't start using the outdoor stage in finales until a few seasons ago. I thought either last years was outside but it was not, and I believe the first outdoor finale was the season with Rumer. They had a ton of moments outside during that finale and remember it being a big deal that they had it and they used it to their advantage that season. 

Anyways, I never bought the whole angry fan base of "Paige is the ringest ringer ever, ever" she isn't to me. And she didn't win. There's probably been plenty more ringers in past seasons. It's just funny. I would go as far to say pretty much a lot of athletes are ringers. 

I don't know. The last time I really, really cared about this show was probably Rumer. I was rooting for Paige, but I'm happy with Nyle winning.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Woodrose said:

JR Martinez remains the first disabled winner of DWTS; Nyle is the second.

Disabled?  JR is a former soldier who was burned in a car explosion (IED) in Iraq, and although his appearance might appear disfigured, he made a full recovery and wasn't physically disabled in any way.  He and Nyle reminded me of each other in their positive spirit and inspirational outlook.

• Love 10

I thought Ginger was likeable, an excellent dancer, highly improved, and worked really hard to get where she was.  She also had to do GMA, fly back and forth, and tend to a six month old baby on top of her hectic DWTS schedule. I think that saying she is only in the finals because ABC pushed her is really unfair. ABC didn't push her anymore than they did Other contestants, especially Nile. 

I think people saw how hard she worked and saw her improvement, and that, mixed with her likeability, was the reason she got votes and made it to the end. Saying she only got to the end because ABC had an agenda is really untrue in my opinion. 

• Love 6

And I learned in Season One of this show, it's not about the best dancer.

Whenever I am disappointed by who won the mirror ball trophy, I ask myself if it's as bad as Kelly Monaco winning in S1 after Joey McIntyre was eliminated right before the finale. Although there have been some seasons where the best dancer won, I feel like DWTS told me from the very beginning that I would be disappointed if I expected the best dancer to win. And yup, I'm still disappointed whenever it happens, like this season. The sad thing is that DWTS is so predictable with who the anointed one usually is. This season, Nyle was their golden boy. At least he was a better dancer than Noah who got the same "you're so amazing and inspiring and you made me cry because that was the most profound thing I have ever seen" tongue baths during his season too. I have no issue with either of them being contestants but it makes my skin crawl when the judges are so patronizing in their comments. Nigel does the same thing during the auditions for SYTYCD too and I hate it. You can be kind without being patronizing.

• Love 4

Love me some non-ringers! Unfortunately, they usually turn out to be non-dancers as well, although not in this case. So congratulations, Nyle and Peta! Plus, anyone with the guts to dance a freestyle based on the aftermath of the Milan Conference of 1880 deserves a mirrorball. (I guess I love me some activism too.) Take that, AG Bell! Classy, artistic response to their condescending open letter.

I doubt if Nyle considers himself "disabled." I guess he hasn't gotten through to everyone (yet) about what being Deaf means to him. I have no doubt he'll continue to try.

• Love 5

I am OK with Nyle winning, because he had no dance experience. I know a lot of others in the past have had plenty of dance experience, but I was so excited for a boxer to realize she was also a great dancer, until I found out she took dance lessons most of her life.
Loved seeing Bindi again, she looked great!

I really would have loved seeing Wanya in the finals instead of Ginger. I don't know why Witney bugged me this season. Lindsay was like a breath of fresh air. I hope she gets another really good dancer next season.

Carrie Ann doesn't usually make me tear up (well, maybe tears of agony), but her signing Nyle was quite touching.

• Love 5

Did not like seeing Bindi again. The sight and sound of her voice make me stabby.

Paige didn't win, nor did I expect her to, but at least she won a lot of interest and a movie role.

I hate Charity Dancing with the Stars but I'm resigned to it.

(edited)
4 hours ago, MsTree said:

Did anyone else notice Maks running into Jenna near the end of their dance together? It looked like Jenna was supposed to put her head down so that Maks could jump over her, but she remained straight up and he ran into her. It wasn't immediately noticeable, but when I rewound, you could definitely tell it was a mistake. It appeared as if Jenna was holding in a laugh afterwards.

I did, because I was laughing at the fact that I'm 99% sure that wasn't Jenna, but Jenna and Haley lookalikes. They were like bizarro troupe. I get bringing in your own dancers, but they looked like they put in a request to central casting to make them look like the troupe? "We want one with flippy light brown hair and one with long dark hair! Why? No reason!"

I also wasn't sure if he messed it up or if it was supposed to be "funny"? I think he messed it up but that performance was such a hot mess I couldn't tell.

Edited by kitcloudkicker
  • Love 2
(edited)

I can't hate on any of the finalists.  I love that Ginger put herself out there.  She was a good, not great but good, novice who fully committed to the show months after having a baby.  I have respect for anyone who comes from a non-dancer/non-show biz background to do this show, knowing that it's way far out of their comfort zone and risking total humiliation if they tank.  (Just imagine if Ginger had been Micha Barton levels of bad, and had to slink back to GMA.) 

I love that Paige was totally up for any choreo that Mark threw at her and did it well.  Yes, I get that she had massive dance (and therefore performing) experience, but it was enjoyable to watch her dance well. 

And I love that Nyle danced.  Was he the best dancer left?  No.  But I defy the average person to try to keep a steady beat (clapping, tapping) for two minutes in silence -- chances are, you'll lose tempo before the end.  If it's grading on a curve to root for someone to win Dancing With the Stars who literally has no first hand knowledge of what music is, then okay, guilty as charged.  I will always root for the man or woman who starts at square one and makes it to the end, over former dancers, ice skaters, and gymnasts.  Nyles started a giant step behind that. 

Anyway, somebody winning or not winning DWTS will not affect the fate of nations, so.  Okay, I think that's enough positivity.  Returning the Internet to its regularly scheduled programming. 

Edited by Archery
computer issues; typos
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, Daisytiff said:

I thought Ginger was likeable, an excellent dancer, highly improved, and worked really hard to get where she was.  She also had to do GMA, fly back and forth, and tend to a six month old baby on top of her hectic DWTS schedule. I think that saying she is only in the finals because ABC pushed her is really unfair. ABC didn't push her anymore than they did Other contestants, especially Nile. 

I think people saw how hard she worked and saw her improvement, and that, mixed with her likeability, was the reason she got votes and made it to the end. Saying she only got to the end because ABC had an agenda is really untrue in my opinion. 

Agreed!  Adding in the positive relationship with Val and she/they were, in my opinion, enjoyable.  I work, don't watch GMA so had no going in bias to her.  I came out a genuine fan of hers. 

Cringed when Bruno called her a "weather girl"; Hmphed when she straightened his ass out.  lol

Wish Wanya had made it into the finals...another partnership that was enjoyable to watch.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, LotusFlower said:

Disabled?  JR is a former soldier who was burned in a car explosion (IED) in Iraq, and although his appearance might appear disfigured, he made a full recovery and wasn't physically disabled in any way.  He and Nyle reminded me of each other in their positive spirit and inspirational outlook.

Though his particular handicap had much less impact on his ability to dance than say Nyle's deafness or Noah's missing limbs, JR Martinez is a disabled veteran.  I never felt like any of these three guys were ever looking for pity or special treatment.  Being deaf does not equal "playing the deaf card" just as being a burn victim does not equal "playing the burned card."  They're just living life, most days they're living more than fully-abled people.  

Really happy Nyle took this season.  He and Peta were extremely supportive of each other, gracious, appreciative... and he really did come a long way. 

Paige and Mark looked sour at the outcome, and they've looked sour before... viewers pick up on this and will vote for someone else. 

• Love 9

I'm glad Antonio, Von, Jodie and Wanya all got to dance. The part with Von, Witney and Lindsay doing the game show was also cute. I wish they would do stuff like that on the regular season so we could get to know the contestants. 

Everyone was good last night. Congrats to Nyle and Peta.

• Love 2
(edited)

Congratulations to Nyle and Peta for winning the mirror ball trophy. He was one of my favorites this whole season along with Jodie and Wanya. I usually don't like when Carrie Ann gets all emotional, but I thought her communicating with Nyle through sign language was touching. 

Speaking of Jodie and Wanya, I was happy to see them both dancing again last night. Both would've been great finalists in my opinion and I'll especially lament not getting to see what Wanya and Lindsay would've done for their freestyle.

Edited by Steph619
  • Love 6

I want to see Erin's underwear and thighs through a sheer dress just as much as I want to see Tom's in a see-through tuxedo, which means stop it, Show. I like Erin and think she is amazing on this show, but I hope she didn't pick out this costume.

And yay, Nyle. I am perfectly happy he won, perfectly. So much going on with his being on the show. 

If Show didn't want fan base to determine the winner, it can simply change the proportions of the scoring--make fanbase 25 percent if the total, like a fourth judge. Personally, I am not a fan of the fan base as any percentage--let the judges and maybe the ousted pros vote, but right now it's popularity. No one votes in the MML house because we don't know dance. If that means Nyle would not have won, okay by me.

Show could also find stars with equivalent amounts of ringerism to level the field, 

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, Drogo said:

Paige and Mark looked sour at the outcome, and they've looked sour before... viewers pick up on this and will vote for someone else. 

This!

And the story edit on her last night, about constantly looking in the mirror, did her no favors...of course she's looking in the mirror.  Its a dance studio.  Just how they did it.  I thought, self, if there were a next week of voting, I'd probably 'penalize' her for it.  

To the point made over and over with regard to who wins....it is Y amount dance ability and X amount likability with the X factor :) playing a larger role (in most cases) in voting for a lot of viewers.

• Love 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, Daisytiff said:

I don't begrudge anyone to like Ginger, though I disagree about ABC's agenda, but she stopped flying back and forth and doing GMA several weeks ago.  She's been stationed in LA for the most part since iconic dance week.  She might have made some one off appearances on GMA here and there, but she certainly wasn't doing the show regularly and when she was, it was mostly interviews related to DWTS and nothing to do with her regular job.

Also I would argue somewhat her improvement arc.  Sometimes I think the improvement arc is a bit fabricated by dance assignments.  What it comes down to is Ginger is pretty decent at closed hold ballroom and not very good at the fiery latin dances.  However she got most of her latin dances in the first several weeks and most of the closed hold dances mid season and beyond, so of course she looks better at the end when she's doing things that come more naturally to her.  With Wanya it went the opposite direction.  He's better at latin and got a lot of those dances early as well, which made it look like he was losing his mojo mid season when he went into the ballroom stuff.  It's all in the manipulation of whatever story you want to tell.  Paige was really the only dancer this season that was well rounded enough that dance assignment didn't really matter.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 2

I would've been happy with a Nyle or Paige victory, so the only disappointment for me was that they somehow couldn't tie.  I wasn't always Peta's biggest fan when she started out, but I warmed up to her greatly after her partnership with Tommy Chong (her dressing as a pot leaf for their first dance was insanely hilarious and endearing to me), and I thought she and Nyle had a great partnership so I was happy to see her get another win.  

I'm just disappointed that Mark couldn't ekk out another win - I've always had a soft spot for him, because he's genuinely creative (moreso than Derek, who always got the praise for creative choreography), he's a good teacher, and at least for the past 4 - 5 seasons, has taken his ego down a notch and been extremely supportive of all his partners (even the ones who've seemed like they struggled a lot).  I'd be sad if this is the last time I see him as a pro on DWTS.  

• Love 9
1 hour ago, scenicbyway said:

Anyone else think Tom was a little off last night?  It sure seem like Erin did a lot of the heavy lifting  with hosting outside and in.  Did Tom even crack a smile the whole time?

Agree, but I've felt that Erin has been overshadowing Tom all season. It's like he's her sidekick now and it doesn't sit well with me.  

I feel like Mark has been going through the motions the past few seasons. The choreography has been good, but I can see him reading the signs.  It's like you can read his face during the Week I judges comments when he realizes his partner isn't going to be pushed and he kind of gives up.  He does the work but his heart doesn't seem to be in it.  I think Mark needs to go off and do his own thing, follow his heart and live full-time in the music world.  

• Love 2

That was the most hectic, headache producing Finale ever.

Gosh, how much filler did they need to stuff in two hours?? Encore dances? Games?  A million back up dancers? Maks and Val show?  UGH.

I had enough and didn’t even watch the last 30 minutes. 

(edited)

Now, maybe, for once, Tony can get a decent partner and a real shot?  Nah.  That would be cray cray.

I don't understand this sentiment at all - Tony has won a mirrorball trophy (putting aside my feelings that Melissa was overrated as hell) and he had Stacy Kiebler, one of the best female celebrities that's ever been on the show in my opinion. Yes, he's had duds like Kate Gosselin (and hell Mark had freaking Bristol Palin TWICE) but I just do not understand why some still make it seem like he's never been given capable celebrities or chances.

Hell Audrina Patridge and Chyna Phillips were both more than capable, they just didn't have fanbases. And on a weaker season, Marla probably would have made it further because she was not awful either. Marla danced on Broadway, is freaking gorgeous and had some amazing lines in my opinion. Unfortunately, this season had so many decent celebrities, more importantly people with bigger fanbases and frankly, Tony's choreography rarely wows in my opinion, so she went home very early.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2
21 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

I don't understand this sentiment at all - Tony has won a mirrorball trophy (putting aside my feelings that Melissa was overrated as hell) and he had Stacy Kiebler, one of the best female celebrities that's ever been on the show in my opinion. Yes, he's had duds like Kate Gosselin (and hell Mark had freaking Bristol Palin TWICE) but I just do not understand why some still make it seem like he's never been given capable celebrities or chances.

Hell Audrina Patridge and Chyna Phillips were both more than capable, they just didn't have fanbases. And on a weaker season, Marla probably would have made it further because she was not awful either. Marla danced on Broadway, is freaking gorgeous and had some amazing lines in my opinion. Unfortunately, this season had so many decent celebrities, more importantly people with bigger fanbases and frankly, Tony's choreography rarely wows in my opinion, so she went home very early.

But Tony more than anybody seems to get the obvious duds.  The aging, past-her-prime star who looks like she can't move.  Betsey Johnson, Wynonna Judd, Martina Navratilova, Suzanne Somers.  I was thoroughly shocked that they didn't give him Paula Deen last season.

Good for Nyle.  He worked hard and was having a great time while doing it.  His enthusiasm and determination was admirable.  He was the only one of the four who was smiling as Tom was about to read the winner.  His partner looked nervous, Paige was cringing and looking at the floor, and Mark Ballas closed his eyes and then looked away.  I have a feeling that Nyle would have been happy even if he finished second.

If Derek Hough and Mark Ballas never come back, it won't be long enough.  I don't need to see either of them again.  They are played out.

• Love 4

YES!! Nyle FTW!! He has not only earned the Mirrorball, IMO he richly deserves it. Ever since his first Cha-Cha with Peta, Nyle has shown the potential to not at least make the Finals, which he not only did, he won & rightfully so. Because of his deafness, Nyle has worked even harder than the other contestants and his lack of dance experience makes his story even more powerful. Nyle has never asked fro special treatment from the judges, so them occasionally going overboard in their praise isn't his fault. The way I see it, if Nyle was getting special treatment, then he would have gotten 9s & 10s all along, which he didn't.

Nyle's dances weren't all "perfect," but at least they made me feel something other than boredom, unlike Ginger and/or Paige. Nyle's dedicating his win to the deaf community was sweet, as was Carrie Ann's using sign language to honor him. He may come off cocky sometimes, but one person's arrogance is another's confidence. As far as I'm concerned, Nyle is beautiful in every way.

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, blackwing said:

.If Derek Hough and Mark Ballas never come back, it won't be long enough.  I don't need to see either of them again.  They are played out.

I would be fine with that and they can take Val with them. At least two out of the three are always guaranteed a spot in the finals. I would like to see more from Artem, Sasha and some of the others. 

• Love 1

This sentence from the recap

I contemplated checking to see if their tour is coming anywhere near me this summer. Then I remembered that I hate going places and doing things and also spending money and I came to my senses.

is everything.

• Love 6