Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E24: The Convergence Convergence

12 hours ago, Trey said:

I (shapeshifter) posted:
I did a mental double take when Penny said to Leonard right before the commercial break, "So funny. I never thought my second marriage would be to you."
--which also settles the debate as to whether she and Zach were technically "married"

I don't think she meant Zach; I think she meant that she married Leonard and now is having a second wedding - also to Leonard.. 

That is probably what she meant--mainly because I don't think in a 17 minute dialog that the writers expect the audience to recall a character who isn't seen in this episode. Or maybe it was supposed to be a cheeky double entendre (triple if you count real life) that different viewers could take different ways.

• Love 3
On 5/13/2016 at 3:40 PM, caligirl50 said:

Also, 

- Penny did mean Zach

I’m done for now!

You may be done for now, but you're mistaken. I'd say on both counts, but for sure on Zach. Penny said that in reference to marrying Leonard again. 

• Love 10
11 hours ago, CherryAmes said:

Three months along isn't much in terms of pregnancy showing.  The baby is about 3 or 4 inches long and weighs about an ounce.  Putting her in maternity clothes and giving her a baby bump would be pretty unrealistic. A lot of women wait until they're that far along to even tell most people that they're pregnant.  Well not the women I know on Facebook who announce their pregnancies when they're two weeks pregnant of course!

Re: this episode, I was pleasantly surprised by it.  In other words  I liked it.   I didn't understand why Beverly made the comment about Alfred being broke though.  Was this the typical Lorre-ism where divorced women always take the ex to the cleaners and leave him destitute or was there something else going on to explain this that I  missed?

Exactly, I'm 4 months, no bump and still wear my regular clothes. It can take ages until you look obviously pregnant.

• Love 6
45 minutes ago, Save Yourself said:

Exactly, I'm 4 months, no bump and still wear my regular clothes. It can take ages until you look obviously pregnant.

It's been decades, but I'm petite like Bernie, and it was the same for me as for you, Save Yourself. I recall being shocked that a young man said he thought I was pregnant at about 3 or 4 months into my first pregnancy because my face was "full" and flushed. 

I thought Bernadette nibbling at a bowl full of grapes was realilstic.

• Love 4

First pregnancies often take longer to show.  But after that, all bets are off.  One of my sister's is thin, and for her first pregnancy she started wearing maternity clothes at four months even though she wasn't showing yet, she just wanted to show off her pregnant status and her new wardrobe.  But for each of her subsequent pregnancies, she barely made it to 8 weeks before the bump appeared.

• Love 2
On 5/13/2016 at 8:36 AM, DrLar said:

Maybe she also has plans to marry Johnny in real life? also second marriage hehe

I wonder how Penny's family react they weren't invited to the fancy "best" restaurant? couldn't they book it until they arrived?

They said Penny's family was arriving "tomorrow" so I don't think this is a question of not being invited to the "best" restaurant. I interpreted it as more of "we're doing the ceremony on day B" and so depending on travel arrangements, some arrived on day A. Those who did, went out to dinner on night A and since it was a big deal-ish family thing, they chose schmancy restaurant. People arriving day B would've been welcome at said dinner if they'd been in town, but they chose to arrive only in time for the ceremony, so they weren't present.

• Love 8

I loved Mary and Alfred trash-talking Beverly, especially the pillar of salt - block of ice exchange.

I vote for David Spade as Penny's meth-cooking brother. He can pull off the skeezy crook (but leave the Joe Dirt mullet home) and his diminutive stature would explain why Penny's dad wanted her to be a boy.

• Love 11

Ever since they said on the show that Penny's mother was supposed to be overweight, I've been pulling for Roseanne to play her mother.  I know it's highly unlikely cause of Chuck Lorre, but I'm gonna keep dreaming.

Overweight in Hollywood doesn't have to mean Roseanne.  They could cast any well known middle aged actress who dares to weigh more than 120 lbs and they'd be good.

• Love 5
On 5/13/2016 at 7:02 PM, Accidental Martyr said:

If I was Leonard I would tell Beverley to go fuck herself and have zero contact with her for the rest of my life. There is absolutely nothing funny about the character and her interaction with Leonard. Nothing. Zero. Watching that character is depressing.

Beverly is horrible! I was hoping Alicia Florrick would walk by and slap her.

• Love 5
(edited)

Beverly is still horrible to Leonard, but I'm glad Leonard isn't letting her behavior get to him as much as it used to. I liked when Beverly said something mean in the car (I can't remember what it was) and Leonard replied, "save something for the toast", and then he and Penny just laughed. 

I also loved Mary Cooper's response when Beverly told her to read another book, and her "block of ice" comment about Beverly. I also liked how accepting Leonard's dad was of Mary's religious comments/views. Although Leonard's dad and Sheldon's mom getting together was pretty predictable, I thought it was well done and amusing. 

Finally, regarding Bernadette, fwiw, I was probably about her height and weight when I got pregnant for the first time. I showed immediately because, as the doctor said, the baby had "nowhere to go except out."  However, I was able to wear non-maternity A-line dresses (which were fortunately in style) in a petite size through my second trimester. I needed maternity jeans/pants much sooner. Everyone carries differently though. I do agree that the type of dresses Bernadette usually wears would hide a small baby bump since she is still early in her pregnancy.  

Edited by EVS
Because no matter how much I proofread, I still make stupid mistakes
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, Zahdii said:

First pregnancies often take longer to show.  But after that, all bets are off.  One of my sister's is thin, and for her first pregnancy she started wearing maternity clothes at four months even though she wasn't showing yet, she just wanted to show off her pregnant status and her new wardrobe.  But for each of her subsequent pregnancies, she barely made it to 8 weeks before the bump appeared.

I was wondering about that with regards to first pregnancies. I read yesterday that you usually don't feel the baby move until later in first pregnancies but subsequent ones you feel it a lot earlier - I was surprised when someone asked me yesterday if I could feel it! I had a scan last week and it was moving around like a mad thing but I didn't feel anything and I thought fair enough, it's still only tiny. So that's interesting to know that you generally show earlier in subsequent pregnancies as well, thanks for the info!

44 minutes ago, EVS said:

Finally, regarding Bernadette, fwiw, I was probably about her height and weight when I got pregnant for the first time. I showed immediately because, as the doctor said, the baby had "nowhere to go except out."  However, I was able to wear non-maternity A-line dresses (which were fortunately in style) in a petite size through my second trimester. I needed maternity jeans/pants much sooner. Everyone carries differently though. I do agree that the type of dresses Bernadette usually wears would hide a small baby bump since she is still early in her pregnancy.  

I have a friend who is tiny like Bernadette and she was the same as you, the bump popped out straight away but my cousin who is just as small didn't show til about 5 months. It's hard to guess how anyone is going to look preggo!

• Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

It's been decades, but I'm petite like Bernie, and it was the same for me as for you, Save Yourself. I recall being shocked that a young man said he thought I was pregnant at about 3 or 4 months into my first pregnancy because my face was "full" and flushed. 

I thought Bernadette nibbling at a bowl full of grapes was realilstic.

I'm the same height as B but am of average build, I don't have the tiny bone structure that she does. I wish I was nibbling on grapes, my baby keeps making me eat potato wedges with sour cream ? 

Re TBBT: I thought Sheldon was so sweet asking Mr Rubiks Cube to the wedding because he thought he might be lonely. 

Edited by Save Yourself
  • Love 7

I enjoyed this one more than I thought I would, although I agree that it didn't really feel like a season finale to me, but whatever.  Sometimes it is nice to go into a summer hiatus without having to wonder what will happen next.

And an embarrassing confession on my part, I don't know where I got this, but I somehow had it in my head that Judd Hirsch was going to play *Howard's* father, which I wasn't looking forward to (just because I don't think that is a story line that needs to be explored).  So, when it ended up that he was playing *Leonard's* father, it not only made much more sense but was also much more enjoyable.  

I do like Christine Baranski, but they have to be careful with her character here.  I didn't enjoy her at all in last week's episode, and I think the only reason I enjoyed her this week was because she played off Judd Hirsch.  However, I prefer her only in a scene or two when she's skyping with Sheldon.  I agree that it is just painful to watch her interact with Leonard.

This was the first episode in a long time where I felt that Raj was appropriately used and not annoying, so that's a win.  Also, I usually leave episodes feeling like I'm married to Sheldon (well, Sheldon-lite), but this was the first time I felt like I was married to a Howard.  The whole Air Force plot was a little contrived, but Howard reacted just as my husband probably would.  I also felt they balanced the B plot well with the A plot, something they haven't been successful with much lately.

1 hour ago, Save Yourself said:

I have a friend who is tiny like Bernadette and she was the same as you, the bump popped out straight away but my cousin who is just as small didn't show til about 5 months. It's hard to guess how anyone is going to look preggo!

It actually has far less to do with height as it does with build.  Women who have long legs and shorter torsos show earlier (and more) than women with shorter legs and longer torsos.  When I was pregnant with my first, I was in a prenatal yoga class with a woman who was not as small as Bernadette, but definitely close to the petite range.  She looked to be about 4 months along when she popped out a 7 pound baby and it was just because she was long-waisted.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, EVS said:

I also liked how accepting Leonard's dad was of Mary's religious comments/views. 

IMO, that's because it was the empathetic Judd Hirsch in the role. Other actors might have telegraphed that they were only trying to seduce Mary.

• Love 4
On 5/13/2016 at 10:02 PM, Accidental Martyr said:

If I was Leonard I would tell Beverley to go fuck herself and have zero contact with her for the rest of my life. There is absolutely nothing funny about the character and her interaction with Leonard. Nothing. Zero. Watching that character is depressing.

I think it's a problem with the show's creative process. They take what works and then run with it, pushing it further and further, and never stopping to think about if it's gone too far and if it's still working or not. Kevin Sussman is good at hangdog, so they'll keep going even if it means disregarding other aspects of the original character and writing some of the main characters as complete jerks in the way they pick on him. It's the same thing with Beverly, they took one part that Christine Baranski does well and just focus on that without doing anything else. And our only hope of change or relief is that they'll hit on something else that works and run with that.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 5/13/2016 at 6:25 PM, anna0852 said:

In show time she's only 3 months or so. Those dresses she wears would easily hide it. 

What is "show time" on BBT?  I didn't know the show followed real time.  Shows often don't.

Regarding when a woman might start to show in pregnancy being different for every woman, I never knew that some women never showed at all until I watched "I didn't know I was Pregnant".

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, CherryAmes said:

Overweight in Hollywood doesn't have to mean Roseanne.  They could cast any well known middle aged actress who dares to weigh more than 120 lbs and they'd be good.

I was trying to avoid saying it outright, but they implied pretty heavily that she's fat.

I enjoyed it, but it's possibly the lowest key finale they've ever done. When it finished, I thought it would continue in next week's ep, only to come on here and find out there wasn't one.

I really had an idea that Mary and Leonard's Dad hooking up would lead to Sheldon and Leonard realises that they could soon be brothers.

'Take a pill!'

'Like you have to for sex??'

• Love 1
21 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

And an embarrassing confession on my part, I don't know where I got this, but I somehow had it in my head that Judd Hirsch was going to play *Howard's* father, which I wasn't looking forward to (just because I don't think that is a story line that needs to be explored).  So, when it ended up that he was playing *Leonard's* father, it not only made much more sense but was also much more enjoyable.

I thought Howard's father was dead? (Based on the episode where the group all tell a story about what Howard's father's letter said and the episode where Howard's brother shows up to meet Howard)  Am I incorrect on that point?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Callietwo said:

I thought Howard's father was dead? (Based on the episode where the group all tell a story about what Howard's father's letter said and the episode where Howard's brother shows up to meet Howard)  Am I incorrect on that point?

Howard's father left the family when Howard was 11 and his whereabouts are unknown.

• Love 1

I guess they aren't unknown anymore though as there was an episode after Howard's mother died where the father had been made aware of Mrs Wolowitz's death and Howard's half brother shows up at the door.  I don't remember though if they ever explain why Howard's father never tried to contact his son after the divorce (other than that one letter).

• Love 3

From The Big Bang Theory wikia:

After Howard's mother passes away, his father through an attorney signed the house over to Howard without contacting him in "The Fortification Implementation". Afterwards a college student shows up at the door, Howard's half-brother Josh, an oceanography student from San Diego. His father had another family and also left them.

http://bigbangtheory.wikia.com/wiki/Sam_Wolowitz

• Love 2

Overweight in Hollywood doesn't have to mean Roseanne. 

Also, the last time I saw Rosanne she had dropped a lot of weight and was basically in the "normal" range, if such a thing truly exists.

Judd Hirsch has been a favorite since Taxi, so it was easy to like him in this role.  I was actually hoping for Jason Alexander, but the part of Alfred, as written, is actually a much better fit for Hirsch.

Overall, it was a better than average episode.  Other than the predictable ending maybe the best of the season.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Accidental Martyr said:

From The Big Bang Theory wikia:

http://bigbangtheory.wikia.com/wiki/Sam_Wolowitz

Thanks for that info, I totally thought his dad was dead!  Guess he's just an ass, instead.  

• Love 1

Watching Judd just reminded me of ID4 and upcoming sequel, also sad because the series "Forever" got canned..

For Penny's mom, maybe Melissa Mccarthy and her sister Rebel Wilson LOL

• Love 1
(edited)

Unless they've kissed and made up recently I doubt Roseanne would appear on a Chuck Lorre show.  He does have a history of bringing in actors from previous shows he's been involved with so if they've made peace with each other it could happen.  It would be fun to see Roseanne and Laurie Metcalf together again.

Edited by Homily
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

If Penny's mom is a "lady of size" how about Conchata Ferrell? She was also on Two and a Half Men. 

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004916/

She's 73, I think she's a little too old to be convincing as Penny's mother.   Of course that said we just had 80 yr old Judd Hirsh as Leonard's dad so I guess the one place actors don't face age barriers in Hollywood is when they're being cast as someone's parent on a sitcom so it could happen!

I think though they're going to try and cast someone who looks at least a little like Penny. 

• Love 1

Beverly was horrible; she was making the wedding all about her.  Penny should have said "the hell with this; you have to leave. Leonard, give her cab fare. I don't want to see you again until you can be nice to my husband."

I love Christine Baranski, but I wouldn't put up with that.

• Love 4

I felt sorry for Christine Baranski and Judd Hirsch having to read those hateful lines. I imagine when JH signed on to be Leonard's Dad (and so the husband of CB's character) in a situation comedy, neither counted on nothing but exchanges of spiteful meanness that weren't even very funny (to me).

I thought the bigger problem was that the insults did not really befit people of their supposed education. "Hello you wrinkled old bastard" is the best we can get from the brilliant Beverly Hofstadter? Weak and sloppy writing from the staff. She did come off as just plain mean in this episode as well. While she has been cold and distant in her other appearances, she usually found one redeeming moment where she showed some compassion for Leonard or some ability to loosen up to keep her from being too one note....altho usually alcohol was involved.

I am disappointed that with all that comedy talent on the screen I did not laugh more.

And, I am all in with Roseanne as Penny's mother just to see her on screen with Laurie Metcalf and JG, altho having Berta do it would be funny if they can get the 2 1/2 Men guys to write her wisecracks since this team of writers seems ill equipped to handle it.

• Love 1

AFAIC, Vicki Lawrence for the (Penny's mom) win.

I wanted her for MeeMaw-can't you just picture Laurie Metcalf doing an almost perfect Eunice to bounce off of her. Instead they picked June Squib, who was fine, but not inspired.

• Love 4

I saw Roseanne guest star on a few episodes of Cristela and was shocked to see that she was not only blonde, but quite slim. She looked great weight wise. I think she might have had gastric surgery.

On 2016-05-14 at 2:19 PM, Save Yourself said:

Re TBBT: I thought Sheldon was so sweet asking Mr Rubiks Cube to the wedding because he thought he might be lonely. 

Totally disagree.  Another example of Sheldon's arrogance; he has no right to invite anyone for any reason.  His self-entitlement is really starting to grate and I wish someone would bitch-slap some sense or consequence into him (metaphorically or not) and have it stick.

On 5/12/2016 at 7:02 PM, Accidental Martyr said:

That storyline is creepy. And not because I am Sheldon's girlfriend ?