Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E24: The Convergence Convergence

Season finale:

Leonard and Penny get remarried in front of their friends (who show up), Leonard's parents, Beverly and Alfred (Judd Hirsch) and Sheldon's mother, Mary, who finds something in common with Alfred. Howard gets an unknown email from the Air Force about his invention.

Judd Hirsch!!! Did we know about this? Everything is better with Judd Hirsch.

Sorry to start this thread so early, but I seem to have become the adoptive mother of TBBT episode thread starting, and it's so much easier doing it on my desktop at work than on my iPad at home.

And besides: Judd Hirsch!

• Love 9

I'll be interested to see if they address why Penny's parents aren't there.  Hopefully they will at least have a line or two explaining that they were invited and couldn't come.  If not I will be profoundly unimpressed!

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, CherryAmes said:

I'll be interested to see if they address why Penny's parents aren't there. 

Or her brother, considering that she specifically wanted to schedule their wedding for when he'd be available to attend.

(edited)
1 hour ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Or her brother, considering that she specifically wanted to schedule their wedding for when he'd be available to attend.

You mean he's out of jail? 

Question answered.

Edited by SmithW6079

Judd Hirsch!!! Did we know about this? Everything is better with Judd Hirsch.

Yes, it was in the media topic a couple of months ago.  He was excellent as Leonard's father!

This was the season finale?  It didn't have a very "finale" feel to it.

• Love 11

What in the world was that? I mean seriously. I don't even know what I watched. It went by so fast.
Season finale? If they say so. This doesn't bode well for the many, MANY seasons to come.

• Love 7

Was this the season finale?  What a let down.  Sheldon's mother has made the move on men before (Dr Gablehauser for example) so hooking up with  Leonard's dad isn't that big of a shock.  The idea of Leonard and Sheldon ending up as step-brothers is amusing, but not a season finale plot.

Howard's paranoia over the government is baffling.  He's worked for JPL for how long?  Don't a number of astronauts come out of the military?  Suddenly allowing the Air Force to use their guidance system is immoral?  As the proud daughter of a Lt Col in the Air Force, I find this obnoxious.

• Love 12
(edited)

Hmm..so no wedding ceremony, Penny's family fail to make an appearance, and the gang don't get to share a dinner together for the toasts.

Yeah, sounds like a bait and switch finale alright.

Edited by Eri
  • Love 12

In an earlier season Mrs. Cooper said to Penny that when she was younger she (Mrs. C) could have been had for a ? and some sort of sweet red wine like Tokay or something. Can't remember the exact quote. So it doesn't surprise me.

22 minutes ago, Frost said:

Howard's paranoia over the government is baffling.  He's worked for JPL for how long?  Don't a number of astronauts come out of the military?  Suddenly allowing the Air Force to use their guidance system is immoral?  As the proud daughter of a Lt Col in the Air Force, I find this obnoxious.

Yes, yet another stupid plot point, but Simon Helberg acted the hell out of it.

• Love 7

That didn't feel like a season finale, it felt like an episode before the season finale and then the finale would have a wedding. Where's the cliff hanger or season ender? Was Leonard and Sheldon's parents hooking up supposed to be it?

I laughed at Raj's talking to the laptop thinking the Government was watching. 

Beverley was just horrible at dinner, not funny at all. 

• Love 10

When Mary, Leonard, and Penny were talking about Beverly, I thought Mary might say something about Beverly and end with "Bless her heart."  You Southerners know what that means.  :-}

• Love 12

In an earlier season Mrs. Cooper said to Penny that when she was younger she (Mrs. C) could have been had for a ? and some sort of sweet red wine like Tokay or something

'When I was your age you coulda had me for a car ride and a bottle of strawberry wine.'   (Boones Farm, I assume)

I didn't like Beverly, and I thought her character was funny the first couple of times she was in an episode.  Now she's just too mean.  On the other hand, I like Mary Cooper and I hope she ends up in a real relationship with Leonard's dad.  

• Love 14

Now I'm beginning to wonder if I should even bother watching. It's not on for another hour where I live. I predicted the Mary/Albert hookup the moment I discovered Leonard's dad was going to be on the show.  Bet it was in Sheldon's bed too, huh?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Artsda said:

That didn't feel like a season finale, it felt like an episode before the season finale and then the finale would have a wedding.

I totally thought there was one more episode after this one, in which we would see the ceremony and meet Penny's family... until I came here and read this thread.  I'm disappointed the season's over.  

I thought this episode was generally pretty funny though, and laughed a few times.

• Love 5

What really bums me out about this finale is that it almost guarantees that we'll have to slog through Bernadette's pregnancy on screen.  I was hoping that she could get far enough along off screen that she'd be close to giving birth.

• Love 2
(edited)

think the lack of danger of cancellation has led them to know people will watch the premiere so no great finale needed. 

I was amused and most sitcoms to not entertain me anymore. When people say what they are watching, I always feel like asking why. I have a friend that loves dancing withthe stars and does not understand why that piece of crap load doesn't entertain me. hah. If I had ever been a fan the appearance of Bristol Palin and tom Delay would have killed it.  With apprentice at least there were a few people on that that would entice me before the repulsives drove me away. different strokes for different folks. 

I don't mind Leonard's mother, I don't think she hates him, but she is being drawn more like a one note, I think before she just always thought that you expect more from you children and they give it to you. I have seen in life if you expect the worst from your child they will fulfill that expectation.

As to Sheldon's mom, she is richly drawn, remember her affair when Sheldon looked in the window. Actually the religious statements are contrasted to her free behavior.  I think that as much as Amy is like Sheldon, only not, it is actually pleasant to see the good relationship Mary and Amy have.  My mother in law hated me and decided everything bad in her son came from associating with me, I can identify in law issues. Like he was an alcoholic I barely drank, but MIL thought if only I had 10 children he would have to sober up - apparently her husband never did and died an alcoholic and I subtly left stuff around and offered to accompany mine to an AA meeting, which gave him a wonderful, patient sponsor who brought him around.  

Edited by holly4755
  • Love 2

Yeah, I don't care if it didn't feel like a season finale. I honestly laughed out loud more than once (especially in the "car chase" sequence), which hasn't happened with this show in quite a while. I like Sheldon's mom and she and Leonard's father were cute together. Good episode.

• Love 12

Unfortunately my few moments of laughter were soon forgotten fast forwarding through all those commercials.  No wonder they didn't show the ceremony - They didn't have time!

That said, I loved Judd Hirsch as Leonard's Dad.  I read that Johnny Galecki had something to do with him being cast.  And he even looks believable as Leonard's dad, unlike his mother.

• Love 6

I felt sorry for Christine Baranski and Judd Hirsch having to read those hateful lines. I imagine when JH signed on to be Leonard's Dad (and so the husband of CB's character) in a situation comedy, neither counted on nothing but exchanges of spiteful meanness that weren't even very funny (to me).

Given Kayley Cuoco's personal history (recently divorced, formerly JG's girlfriend and now a girl friend), I did a mental double take when Penny said to Leonard right before the commercial break, "So funny. I never thought my second marriage would be to you."
--which also settles the debate as to whether she and Zach were technically "married."

• Love 1

It was funny enough for at least a normal episode, maybe not over the top enough for a finale but funny enough.

Judd Hirsch was great but he always is - I saw him at the Paper Mill Playhouse in I'm Not Rappaport (with Ben Vereen!); I think he can do both comedy and drama well and maybe doesn't get enough credit for the drama (Running On Empty comes to mind too) ................he works as Leonard's Dad though.

Leonard could have shut up Penny pretty quick at the end if he pointed out that if Mary and Alfred got together Sheldon could end up her brother in law (step).  

Bernadette isn't even showing yet; I almost don't want her too even next year.  Melissa isn't pregnant or sick in real life is she?  I notice a couple episodes ago she went to bed while everyone else went to Leonard and Sheldon's and this episode and a couple others she was sitting a lot, either in the car or at the kitchen table.  Maybe just coincidence but it seems like lately there are less scenes where she's walking around.

• Love 1

I liked it.

Judd Hirsch was fantastic as Leonard's dad, and there was definite chemistry between Hirsch and Laurie Metcalf.  I always like Sheldon's mother, and I continue to enjoy that she's loved by the group, and loves the group.  They didn't take the easy route and make her somebody who shoves her religion down everyone's throat, she's religious, but she follows the teachings of love and compassion, and genuinely cares for Sheldon's friends.

This does seem like a multi-episode arc, which is great, because it means more Hirsch and Metcalf.

I liked the Howard is paranoid plot, Simon Helberg has been fantastic this season, here's hoping he gets an Emmy nomination.  And guys remember, Zack was right.

• Love 8
(edited)

I didn't get the impression that Mary and Alfred were intending to hook up, but I guess we'll see. I'm not exactly on the edge of my seat for that cliffhanger. Last we knew Mary was dating the guy Sheldon caught her having sex with and was struggling to square that with her religious beliefs, so I don't think she's in the habit of casual promiscuity these days.

Sheldon is usually much more voluble and relaxed around Beverly and I wasn't really buying the tension in the room even before Alfred arrived. But then, I also never believed Beverly would be one bit hurt about not being invited to Leonard and Penny's wedding, especially considering the spontaneous way it played out.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 5
34 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I did a mental double take when Penny said to Leonard right before the commercial break, "So funny. I never thought my second marriage would be to you."
--which also settles the debate as to whether she and Zach were technically "married."

I don't think she meant Zach; I think she meant that she married Leonard and now is having a second wedding - also to Leonard.. 

• Love 23

Maybe she also has plans to marry Johnny in real life? also second marriage hehe

I wonder how Penny's family react they weren't invited to the fancy "best" restaurant? couldn't they book it until they arrived?

• Love 1
10 hours ago, holly4755 said:

think the lack of danger of cancellation has led them to know people will watch the premiere so no great finale needed. 

This isn't a drama with a season-long story arc to wrap up, and big cliffhangers have gone out of style because everyone wants a season to be self-contained (a teaser for the next season can be clipped in syndication). You're right that a danger of cancellation can be a factor, but I can only recall seeing one series pull something like that recently and viewers weren't happy.

12 hours ago, sinycalone said:

I loved Mary's retort to Beverly when she snapped she should read another book bsides the Bible...."When God writes another one, I will."

Some would say that's the Book of Mormon.

I just hope, when/if Penny's family arrives that they aren't played as a bunch of backwoods yokels. We already know her dad isn't. Her mom should be overweight, although it's possible she dieted down. Her sister, brother-in-law and nephew are unknowns and could be anything. Meth brother doesn't have to be a stringy-haired lowlife, but I'm betting he will.

• Love 2

I think Beverly's disdain for her husband didn't really kick in until he had an affair. And while I'm not a fan of infidelity, having met Beverly I think Albert was justified in that one. 

• Love 6

In Beverly's own words she had sex only to procreate so three children must have been her goal.  Leonard's older brother is (I believe) a brilliant scientist and his sister is a Supreme Court justice.  Beverly does not necessarily come across as proud because "they aren't her accomplishments."  But she does like to tell Leonard how amazing they are.

• Love 1

Count me among those who thought Beverly was a hilarious addition to TBBT up until recent episodes, where she has been a shrew. I think the last episode I liked her in was the one where Penny was taking a class and Beverly's book was on the assigned reading list. 

I thought the episode was funny, but the only "season finale" feel it had to it was because of the way the episode ended so abruptly. There were so many commercials to fast forward to that I almost thought it might be an hour-long finale where we got to see the aftermath of Mary-Alfred's hookup, closure to Howard's military storyline, and maybe even the wedding itself. So I was surprised when the episode ended on Penny laughing at Sheldon and Leonard not being able to get a hold of their parents, without even a "To be continued" to indicate that there will be some closure to these storylines eventually.

Meanwhile, I've been enjoying the series story arc in which Howard has become the most successful of the group. First to get married and have a child (please don't let there be an upcoming storyline where they lose the baby), has become an astronaut, and now has developed what appears to be a breakthrough in guidance systems. Not bad for Mr. Howard Wolowitz.

• Love 5

Maybe I was in an exceptionally good mood when I watched it, but nearly every scene made me laugh out loud, sometimes several times a scene.

It was the rare episode where all subplots were funny. Usually I find the Howard/Raj scenes are the ones that can be lifted out with no problem, but they were all good in this episode. The chase scene in particular.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, lordonia said:

I just hope, when/if Penny's family arrives that they aren't played as a bunch of backwoods yokels. We already know her dad isn't. Her mom should be overweight, although it's possible she dieted down. Her sister, brother-in-law and nephew are unknowns and could be anything. Meth brother doesn't have to be a stringy-haired lowlife, but I'm betting he will.

Ever since they said on the show that Penny's mother was supposed to be overweight, I've been pulling for Roseanne to play her mother.  I know it's highly unlikely cause of Chuck Lorre, but I'm gonna keep dreaming.

• Love 7
17 hours ago, benteen said:

I thought it was hilarious.  Didn't have a season finale feel to it I agree but who cares.  It was really funny.

Can you please point out what was funny?  

15 hours ago, Saylii said:

What really bums me out about this finale is that it almost guarantees that we'll have to slog through Bernadette's pregnancy on screen.  I was hoping that she could get far enough along off screen that she'd be close to giving birth.

Did you see her on the show last night?  She doesn’t have any pooch at all.  It’s ridiculous.

7 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

I think he can do both comedy and drama well and maybe doesn't get enough credit for the drama (Running On Empty comes to mind too) ................he works as Leonard's Dad though.

As well as A Beautiful Mind and Ordinary People, he was nominated for that performance.   

• Love 1

Forgot to mention - my favourite bits were when Amy would tell Sheldon to "play with your phone" whenever she thought he was about to say something inappropriate. 

• Love 6
(edited)

I liked this one too.  The only problem I had was, at least on the channel I watched it on, they had what felt like 10 minutes of commercials and then came back to the guys trying to contact their parents and Penny finding it funny - which was like what?  A minute?  Not impressed that I waited all that time for a minute's worth of show.

I noticed they answered the question we had here about what Mary Cooper did for a living.  It always felt odd that a middle aged woman with no family commitments and not from a monied background seemed to have no source of income.  Now we know she works for the church.  A secretary or something like that I guess.

Edited by Homily
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, caligirl50 said:

Did you see her on the show last night?  She doesn’t have any pooch at all.  It’s ridiculous.

In show time she's only 3 months or so. Those dresses she wears would easily hide it. 

• Love 8
(edited)

Three months along isn't much in terms of pregnancy showing.  The baby is about 3 or 4 inches long and weighs about an ounce.  Putting her in maternity clothes and giving her a baby bump would be pretty unrealistic. A lot of women wait until they're that far along to even tell most people that they're pregnant.  Well not the women I know on Facebook who announce their pregnancies when they're two weeks pregnant of course!

Re: this episode, I was pleasantly surprised by it.  In other words  I liked it.   I didn't understand why Beverly made the comment about Alfred being broke though.  Was this the typical Lorre-ism where divorced women always take the ex to the cleaners and leave him destitute or was there something else going on to explain this that I  missed?

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, CherryAmes said:

I didn't understand why Beverly made the comment about Alfred being broke though.  Was this the typical Lorre-ism where divorced women always take the ex to the cleaners and leave him destitute or was there something else going on to explain this that I  missed?

I might be remembering incorrectly, but was it mentioned at some point that Beverly made more money than her anthropologist husband and that was part of the emasculation her suffered from her? Leonard was comfortable with Penny making more because that was the example he saw at home growing up. Although, it could very well be the standard Chuck Lorre "women as the worst" trope. When will he get over that?!

• Love 2