Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: We All Fall Down

• Start Topic

Here is your discussion thread for S02.E02: We All Fall Down. This thread will open at Sunday April 10th at 10:00 pm

Prior to that, speculate and live-chat here --> S02.E02:We All Fall Down - Pre-Air Speculation and Live Chat.

DO NOT post spoilers and DO NOT discuss the Walking Dead. To discuss the more popular Dead, go HERE.

As always, be civil and be respectful, but always have fun!!

This wasn't bad enough to be good.

People adapt really quickly to the apocalypse. That's kinda interesting.

Using children was a cheap shortcut to emotional intensity. Next time I hope they use a main cast member.

• Love 3

Much better episode. So the yacht might not be Strand's. Going to Mexico and that machine gun suggests some kind of illegal activity, but that might be a red herring. 

The family was pretty sad. Too bad the older son did not let the kid go with them or go with them as well.

• Love 7

I liked the kid's action figures with the head shots. (There must be a merch tie-in for the franchise.) I thought the idea of Preppers and how they might handle the ZA was an interesting one and one that contrasted well against the show group. Too well, I guess, as the writers took a lazy (IMO) turn and made the family Jim Jones-like, thus giving our group the moral high ground. Don't want Strand to be shady, but, again, it makes our familial groups the "heroes" rather than the annoying leeches they've actually been. "Maddie! What have you done now?" will probably be my fave series line.

And we SAW Nick take a shower! Is he like Pigpen on Peanuts, where he immediately gathers messiness to him?

• Love 15

It was good to see the chick from the plane alive and maybe making it onto the boat. Someone with a brain and a bit of compassion would be a nice addition.

I also liked that acknowledgement that Cliff Curtis is Maori.  I think the only time I saw him portray his true ethnicity was in The Whale Rider.

• Love 4

It was good to see the chick from the plane alive and maybe making it onto the boat. Someone with a brain and a bit of compassion would be a nice addition.

I also liked that acknowledgement that Cliff Curtis is Maori.  I think the only time I saw him portray his true ethnicity was in The Whale Rider.

Also Once Were Warriors.

• Love 5

I really disliked Strand this episode. It wouldn't have hurt to take the little kid along. Strand might as well have just kicked a puppy. I understand not taking the stranded people from the boat. That group outnumbered them and they didn't have enough supplies.

Nick also got on my nerves. Of course, the addict goes looking for drugs. I hope Nick gets eaten by a zombie the next time he gets high. If he's not smart enough to stay clean in order to survive, then I'm done liking this character. Nick did find the "death drugs," but survivalist dad shouldn't have had them in the place. So I'm blaming the dad just as much as Nick.

I actually liked Maddie this episode. Her telling Strand to sail the goddamn boat made me like her more. Stand Up to Strand could honestly be my new hashtag.

• Love 4

This episode was much better. Everything was good until the let's take the kiddies storyline. I couldn't believe Maddie just wanted to kidnap the kids because "maybe" there's some hope somewhere; somewhere she herself personally does not know of. She had not an iota of consideration of the father's feelings. Currently this family has a sustainable enclave. That's pretty much utopia right now. I also didn't get the Jonestown worry. Who cares really. Maddie can to offer them starvation on a boat waiting for pirates to gun you down? Let them manage their own fate.

Travis whining about Chris taking down walkers was infuriating. Back to the zombie pacifist. Alicia, when you are roaming around, take out the stupid headphones. You need to be aware of your surroundings you nitwit.

Edited by Iguessnot
  • Love 14

I liked the kid's action figures with the head shots. (There must be a merch tie-in for the franchise.) I thought the idea of Preppers and how they might handle the ZA was an interesting one and one that contrasted well against the show group. Too well, I guess, as the writers took a lazy (IMO) turn and made the family Jim Jones-like, thus giving our group the moral high ground. Don't want Strand to be shady, but, again, it makes our familial groups the "heroes" rather than the annoying leeches they've actually been. "Maddie! What have you done now?" will probably be my fave series line.

And we SAW Nick take a shower! Is he like Pigpen on Peanuts, where he immediately gathers messiness to him?

It will be an uphill battle to keep The Stupids in the primary protagonist position.  From what we saw last season, they were just so lame to begin with.

Kim Dickens was on Talking Dead and she buttressed some argument with "Maddie's no dummy, she's no chump!"  Ha, come watch this shit show from my couch, sister.

• Love 14

I liked George & his family. They were very well prepared for the ZA. They had a fence set up & their boy, Seth would go out every day to put down the walkers. It's something that Carl should have been doing at the prison. I am a bit confused about George. His wife was ill , so was he planning to give her a pill when she was near death? If so, why kill off the rest of the family? How did Nick know about Jonestown, Guyana? I don't think they would have committed suicide as a family. Preppers don't do that.

• Love 5

I thought the kid was very sweet but I think that Strand was right.  The little boy wasn't a stray puppy.  Taking on the boat could have gotten someone killed.  The teenage brother was smart and seemed much more capable of survival than just about everyone on the boat so the little boy has a better chance being with his brother who ISN'T a total waste of space.

• Love 9

This episode was much better. Everything was good until the let's take the kiddies storyline. I couldn't believe Maddie just wanted to kidnap the kids because "maybe" there's some hope somewhere; somewhere she herself personally does not know of. She had not an iota of consideration of the father's feelings. Currently this family has a sustainable enclave. That's pretty much utopia right now. I also didn't get the Jonestown worry. Who cares really. Maddie can to offer them starvation on a boat waiting for pirates to gun you down? Let them manage their own fate.

Travis whining about Chris taking down walkers was infuriating. Back to the zombie pacifist. Alicia, when you are roaming around, take out the stupid headphones. You need to be aware of your surroundings you nitwit.

I'm right there with you.  For all they know, the pills were a worst case scenario choice ... like, if the rest of your family has died, you're about to be sold into slavery, and you need an out.  Deciding it was a Jonestown scenario was a huge assumption.

The older brother was absolutely right to take the kid back.  The kid should be with his brother and his Dad, not wondering the rest of his life why he was taken by strangers.

• Love 16

I get it-- Nick's allergic to shampoo, but can he at least tie that mess back? It's driving me crazy! I'm convinced zombie Nick would have better hair. Doesn't it bug Daniel on a professional level? He's a barber and yet both teenage boys have way too long hair.

It was kinda fun watching Daniel annoy Strand with his hovering, but everything else in this episode bored me. I'm not watching this show for apocalyptic philosophizing or stargazing. Bring on the pirates!

• Love 7

I'm right there with you.  For all they know, the pills were a worst case scenario choice ... like, if the rest of your family has died, you're about to be sold into slavery, and you need an out.  Deciding it was a Jonestown scenario was a huge assumption.

The older brother was absolutely right to take the kid back.  The kid should be with his brother and his Dad, not wondering the rest of his life why he was taken by strangers.

I kind of think that the dad stayed with wife and daughter to die at their hands .

• Love 9

Alicia using headphones was dumb.

• Love 7

I thought it was much netter than last week. Even though Chris didnt talk much, i actually found his interaction with survivalist teen to be enjoyable. Hopefully, he is starting to "get it" and hacking at zombies through the fence wasn't a display of acting out.

Didn't see the family suicide coming but should have. George was way too calm and all "well, everyone dies..."

I like watching these main characters interact with people other than their own group members. It makes them more enjoyable.

Daniel has Strand's number and vice versa.

• Love 8

Once again, Strand and Daniel are the only saving graces of this show

"You hover over me like the spectre of Death"

"Maybe I am...or maybe I'm your guardian angel"

(paraphrasing!)

Anyway, these 2 totally have each other figured out. More scenes between these 2 please!

• Love 7

I finally get why FTWD doesn't work for me. There is lack of tension and fear. I just don't feel like the world is collapsing around these characters because they are so calm and most human beings are not that calm when their lives are uprooted. Travis finds out most of the west coast and country has been bombed and unable to communicate and he barely reacts. He tells Madison and she doesn't blink an eye. Where is the fear and dread of the unknown future? Don't they have family or friends elsewhere that they are worried about? When 9/11 happened, I was panicked when the phones went down and I couldn't contact close friends who worked in Manhattan. It doesn't help that the characters are all related. I just don't buy that any of them are in jeopardy of being killed except for Daniel's daughter who barely gets any dialogue or Strand who isn't related to anyone.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 17

Well, I for one liked this episode much more than last week's; actually, I enjoyed it a lot. None of the Manawa-Clark clan annoyed me, and I liked Daniel's little reconnaissance mission--though Strand leaving him alone in the control center, especially after their conversation, stretched credulity--and Strand's mysterious phone call.

Strand looked concerned to me, worried even. Maybe the person on the phone is holding someone he loves (Abigail, anyone?) and Strand has to trade something he acquired/stole in order to get her back. Whatever he's up to, though, it's no good.

I liked that they didn't go with what to me would've been the obvious route of making the family a bunch of psychos, and I thought the pacing as the mystery unfolded was pretty good. Am I evil for being downright relieved they weren't saddled with the kids?

I wish they would've shown Nick's suspicions growing rather than having him tell Alicia/the audience that "something doesn't feel right". He could've gone looking for drugs twice, the first time being interrupted much earlier in his search, just as he sees something which piques his curiosity enough to go back a second time.

They seem to be moving Chris in the direction of making him the fearless/ruthless Walker killer of the group. This gives him a purpose and something to channel his anger. I'm in favor of anything to stem his petulance. LOL. Anyway, he's my pick for being the first of the Manawa-Clarks to kill a living person.

Travis and Maddie seemed more well-rounded this episode, and much more likeable. It was good to see them getting some character development independent of each other and their family drama.

Well, in the preview we finally see the identity of our plane crash survivor. Not much of a surprise, but I'm glad they chose who they did.

Edited by Sighed I
  • Love 6

- Strand is suspicious but that makes me like him even more? Daniel isn't fooled though, I guess game recognises game here.

- Nick continues to annoy me so much. I hope his pill-popping gets him killed.

- Nice to see Cliff Curtis' ethnicity being correctly acknowledged. Hasn't happened in many of the things he's been in.

- Headphones. Such a teenage thing to do but so, so stupid right now.

- I don't know about Seth(?) and his grand idea about staying on the island. It's just going to be him and his little brother right? Is the father dead too? At the same time I was shouting at Madison "Don't take the little kid!" so yeah, glad they stayed there in the end.

- Plane lady survived! I can't remember her name but I liked what I saw of her.

Edited by kdm07
  • Love 3

Those people had power on the island, but were using candles at night. I wonder why?

They didn't want anyone out on the water to know there were survivors on the island. That's why the dad kept telling Madison that the light she saw was a mistake. There was likely a family rule about no lights after dark.

• Love 10

Hey, these guys really are like the CDB crew. Wherever they go, death and destruction follow.  In other words, thanks Nick for getting the little girl and her mom killed.

The island family was as together as you can expect for people less than two weeks after the end of civilization. Lord only knows why getting on a stranger's boat is supposed to be a better choice. But, I guess that's because I really don't think that dad was looking to kill anyone early; he was just preparing a clean way to go if the end became inevitable,

• Love 12

My guess is that Strand is actually supposed to deliver the boat to someone who knew what was coming. He allowed the others to come with because he needed Nick as crew and just took them as part of the package because they came with Nick. That's why he knows how to run the boat, and why he was prepared for the trip. It's part of his job.

Edited by Pixel
  • Love 7

I liked George & his family. They were very well prepared for the ZA. They had a fence set up & their boy, Seth would go out every day to put down the walkers. It's something that Carl should have been doing at the prison. I am a bit confused about George. His wife was ill , so was he planning to give her a pill when she was near death? If so, why kill off the rest of the family? How did Nick know about Jonestown, Guyana? I don't think they would have committed suicide as a family. Preppers don't do that.

I'd say the family was more about self sufficiency than preparing for the apocalypse.  Even though self sufficiency is a big part of prepping, George made it pretty clear that he felt mankind's time was done.  So what's left for his kids even if they make it to adulthood?  I'm guessing not much but  loneliness & constantly struggling to survive.

Strand is a cold SOB.  The way he told Madison to take the kid back reminded me of how my mom would respond whenever I brought home some critter from the woods.      

• Love 8

The people on TTD look so bored. I am not listening but it is on. Boy, what a downer this show is. 

I liked this episode and I still can't pay anything other than cursory attention to TTD, Fear Edition. The lack of energy and excitement is palatable.

• Love 1

I liked this episode and I still can't pay anything other than cursory attention to TTD, Fear Edition. The lack of energy and excitement is palatable.

There's not a hell of a lot to talk about on TTD at this point, is there? Outside of Strand's motivation, not much of what's going on so far has been very ambiguous. Edited by Pixel
  • Love 2

Lou Diamond Phillips was actually very enthusiastic on Talking Dead.  He is a good conversationalist about both TWD and FTWD, it seems.   He is very well versed in both shows, and has a good sense of humor and attitude.

• Love 13

There's not a hell of a lot to talk about on TTD at this point, is there? Outside of Strand's motivation, not much of what's going on so far has been very ambiguous.

True. The guests from the cast lack enthusiasm and charisma, too, which doesn't help.

Lou Diamond Phillips was actually very enthusiastic on Talking Dead.  He is a good conversationalist about both TWD and FTWD, it seems.   He is very well versed in both shows, and has a good sense of humor and attitude.

You're right; he was good. I wasn't paying very close attention but he was very knowledgeable of both shows and a true fan. Has he been on TWD's Talking Dead?

Edited by Sighed I
  • Love 4

Nick also got on my nerves. Of course, the addict goes looking for drugs. I hope Nick gets eaten by a zombie the next time he gets high. If he's not smart enough to stay clean in order to survive, then I'm done liking this character. Nick did find the "death drugs," but survivalist dad shouldn't have had them in the place. So I'm blaming the dad just as much as Nick.

I don't think Nick was looking for drugs for his own benefit; I think alarms went off in his head when he heard the little kid talking about "wonder pills" (or whatever he called them.) We were being led to believe that he was just searching for something for himself, but in reality he wasn't. (Now just how believable that scenario is is something else.)

How did Nick know about Jonestown, Guyana?

It was in all the papers...

I think the gunshot we heard was Dad removing himself from the equation...

• Love 5

True. The guests from the cast lack enthusiasm and charisma, too, which doesn't help.

You're right; he was good. I wasn't paying very close attention but he was very knowledgeable of both shows and a true fan. Has he been on TWD's Talking Dead?

No.  I don't think he was even on in the early seasons of Talking Dead, from what I can recall.   It sounds as though he had been wanting to get on the show for a while.  He was tweeting and interacting with Chris Hardwick that way, I guess, and he finally got on.  But he seems to know exactly what is happening on TWD too.  He is a likable guy, and I enjoyed his assessment that (of the Young Guns cast) he and Kiefer Sutherland would survive in the ZA, but Charlie Sheen would not fare well.

Off topic, but I feel like Lou Diamond Phillips deserves a better career than he's had. He's like, half as successful and famous as I'd like him to be.

He seems to be a very congenial, jovial fellow too, who is open to doing all kinds of work (including reality TV).   He has never been in the middle of any scandals -- or, at least, not of his design.  (There was the issue of his ex-wife running off with Melissa Etheridge.)  No public battles with addiction.  No trashing hotel rooms.  No reported jerky behavior.

A few years back I saw LDP narrate Disneyland's Candlelight Ceremony/Processional.  I had a close-up seat, so I was noticing that he had aged very well.  I was also impressed by how pleasant and gracious he was.   He had a good energy about him.  In between reading the passages he had to read he was sitting off on the side, happily singing along with the Christmas choir music, which was fun to watch.

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 9

I think the gunshot we heard was Dad removing himself from the equation...

Admittedly, I wasn't paying attention, but the only shot I remember was the teenager taking out Zombie Mom. I thought dad took a pill.

No.  I don't think he was even on in the early seasons of Talking Dead, from what I can recall.   It sounds as though he had been wanting to get on the show for a while.  He was tweeting and interacting with Chris Hardwick that way, I guess, and he finally got on.  But he seems to know exactly what is happening on TWD too.  He is a likable guy, and I enjoyed his assessment that (of the Young Guns cast) he and Kiefer Sutherland would survive in the ZA, but Charlie Sheen would not fare well.

Oh, I missed the Young Guns discussion. Can't say I'd disagree with his assessment. I'll have to go through the episode and re-watch the parts where he's talking. ;)

I do hope they give him a turn on the regular edition of TTD. The only celebrities not associated with the show they should be having on are actual fans capable of having a balanced, show-centric discussion. I'm looking at you, Marilyn Manson and JB Smoove.

Edited by Sighed I
  • Love 6

Oh, I missed the Young Guns discussion. Can't say I'd disagree with his assessment. I'll have to go through the episode and re-watch the parts where he's talking. ;)

I do hope they give him a turn on the regular edition of TTD. The only celebrities not associated with the show they should be having on are actual fans capable of having a balanced, show-centric discussion. I'm looking at you, Marilyn Manson and JB Smoove.

That Marilyn Manson episode was especially painful.  He has never been back.

• Love 5

I think it's a shame that the Ship of Fools landed and wrecked things for that family.  Mom seems to have been the flakiest of the lot.  Dad and Seth were doing what had to be done without any drama.  It was nice to see a teenager actually contributing to his family's well-being as opposed to making the ZA ALL ABOUT HIM. The rest of the young people could learn a lesson from Seth.  I can understand why he wouldn't want his brother with those people.  For one thing, Harry is all the family he has left.  And for another thing, those fools would probably misplace Harry somewhere and not even notice while they were too busy acting the fool all over the place.

I know Strand is being set up to be the mysterious slightly sinister character but to be honest I'd trust Strand over Daniel any day of the week.  Daniel is becoming more and more scary as time passes.  I'm not surprised dumb ass Maddie thinks Strand is her problem when Daniel would probably kill her in her sleep without thinking twice about it.

I don't know how much longer I can handle Alicia and Chris.  Those two need to find some walkers to hug because they're simply worthless and they're not even slightly pleasant to make up for it. 

One thing I was curious about was why Island Dad had pills when he knew that his family would turn after they were poisoned.  Maybe he planned to shoot them after they took the poison, so he wouldn't have to kill his loved ones.  Then he'd probably shoot himself.  Travis should consider that for his family.

• Love 8