Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E11: The Magnificent Eight

• Start Topic

I loved the wild west theme, the wardrobe and how much they enjoyed helping people in the town. The Legends all walking in like the Magnificent 7. 

Ray and Cold together were great. 

Didn't care for Kendra and older Kendra storyline, but the rest of episode I loved. 

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 3

Honestly at this point I think Rip should just give up on his mission. All he does is make things worse and let these group of degenerates loose upon whatever timeline they're in.

He has no control over the group, no coherent plan and makes no effort to rein these people in. I'm out. 

• Love 3

This was fun for a Old West ep. They got to get into a bar fight, drink and shoot some people. I agree with Mick. Sara should've been on the capture mission with them. She's one of their best fighters. I really loved Sara and Mick bonding over drinking and Sara drinking Mick under the table. He has a lot of respect for her and I like that. I hope we get to see more of them together. 

Jonah Hex was okay, but they should've shown us some flashbacks of him and Rip. I guess they can do that in Season 2. 

WTF is the point of Kendra? Her entire purpose seems to be love interest. I think it's wasting time focusing on her boring love life that is dragging down the show. She's the Arrow Flashbacks. Did the CW tell them they need a love story or something? I think the show would've been fine without it. 

I like the fact that Rip has no control over the group. Especially since he chose a group of independent people. Also how many of us given the chance to time travel would remember all the rules over just going to see what we can do in a different time period?

Has for having no plan, that seems to be the MO for all the super hero shows, Barry just runs at his villain of the week with no plan, fails, tries again. His team comes up with a plan, he runs at them again and wins and gets a party with streamers and medals. Team Arrow also rarely makes their plans together, they all just kind of go in and see what happens.

Is this the best show out there, no. But it's also not the worst I've ever seen.

• Love 8

Rip doesn't know how to lead. And he's not a very good time master either. He enjoys time traveling and knowing things but he doesn't know how to manage living in the time with out disrupting. Nor how to strategically remove players to alter time in pieces. I do need to find out that Rip Hunter is like Laurel-one who reaps the benefit of the Rep of an earlier person using the Alias. I feel sorry for Rip'a wife since she seem to be a good time master and gave it all up so Rip could explore. He has tried to reign in the team but he selected a bunch of bulls for a china shop mission.

That said Kendra is still the only one I don't enjoy now. Months later and I still don't care about her. Nor do I care that she wants to love Ray but doesn't really.  Ray's passion to be a hero is sweet but someone needs to remind him that movies&TV are not the go to when heroing. I do hope Ray and Kendra get pushed back into the background soon. I don't care about their love. It's doomed and basic.

I hate when Sara is wasted spending time with Kendra. Sara was a cutie on her horse though <3 Seeing Sara smile is always nice. She does seem to be searching for peace and a place to be herself. I loved Sara and Mick. Sara is very observant and has a way of bringing people's thoughts and fears out in a good way. I'm enjoying that side of her.

Snart killing to save Stein and his passion to get Jax back was sweet. He is really a team player-in that he doesn't want to leave a man down.

Snart and Sara should be leading this team.

Edited by tarotx
  • Love 3

Wow. I actually enjoyed Kendra's B-plot, gasp! Although I'd prefer Sara to be included in the main action - no reason for her to accompany Kendra. I did love that Mick missed her. He and Leonard seem to have tiny crushes on her, and who can blame them?

Jonah Hex was all right - definitely way better than the horrible movie version a few years ago. And I liked a glimpse into Rip's backstory coupled with his decision to overrule the Time Master prime directive. And the show definitely wants to revisit Jonah next season, I expect (I don't mind, I freakin' love the WIld West).

I understand the writers didn't feel like beating us over our heads with the racial stuff, but seriously, nobody commenting on Kendra and Jax in the saloon? Just somebody wondering if he's an escaped slave would have been enough.

I really liked Ray. Free him from Kendra stuff soon, show, he has potential.

When the boy's mother mentioned Wells last name, my first thought was Harrison Wells, not H.G. Wells. Not sure if it would have been a worse decision. 

Her entire purpose seems to be love interest. I think it's wasting time focusing on her boring love life that is dragging down the show. She's the Arrow Flashbacks.

Hey, Arrow flashbacks were awesome until they've fridged Shado!

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 5

Not the worst episode and I agree with poster above that Rip is worst team lead ever. What they need to do is get rid of Rip, have Mick be their insight to the future/time lords since he was Chronos and Snart or Sara as team leads.

What they need to do is get off this Vandal Savage hunt. (it feels too much like oh but we missed him again). What they need to do is go back to various time periods and be heros and correct the the time line.  Not have the primary mission to find Savage. 

Also are there not any other letters in the Greek alphabet?  The Omega Directive (used on Voyager) and now the Omega protocol.

• Love 2

I meant current Arrow Flashbacks. They really need to give Kendra more to do other than be someone's love interest. This triangle with a Ray and a dead guy is not doing her any favors. 

I liked that there was no hard feelings with Sara beating Mick in a drinking contest. 

If they get rid of Rip, the rest of the team wouldn't care that much about Savage. Let me have a show with Sara, Leonard and Mick running around helping people and causing trouble throughout history. They can be joined by others when they need them. 

Doesn't Omega, mean the final part since it's the last letter in the alphabet? I kind of took it to mean the End Protocol, as in end them protocol. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 4
When the team needs a place to hide out, Rip sets a course for the Old West. Upon arrival, they start a fight with a gang of outlaws that puts a small town in jeopardy. Luckily, Rip's old friend Jonah Hex steps in to save them.
Also are there not any other letters in the Greek alphabet?  The Omega Directive (used on Voyager) and now the Omega protocol.

Alpha (the first letter) is actually used more often, and Beta and Gamma are also common.

//This is off topic, but aren't Greek alphabet letters used to teach maths in your countries? I think I've learned like half of this alphabet during my high school Geometry course.

I understand the writers didn't feel like beating us over our heads with the racial stuff, but seriously, nobody commenting on Kendra and Jax in the saloon? Just somebody wondering if he's an escaped slave would have been enough.

It was the 1870's, so they wouldn't have needed that cover story. There were a lot of black people who resettled in the West, actually, and there would have been a number of places they wouldn't have stood out that much, though Salvation looked really white overall. And, of course, there were lots and lots and lots of lynching-happy racists no matter what the local demographics would have been. Jax was lucky to be protected by the impending hostage switch.

Stein saving HG Wells was straight-up Murdoch Mysteries stuff. Luckily I have a weakness for such things, plus it's been several episodes since he had much to do. Tsk tsk on flirting with the pretty lady, though. Remember Clarissa is patiently waiting back home, Dr. Stein. Remarkably patiently, all things considered.

This was the nicest version of Jonah Hex ever! He was so friendly (for him) and sweet (for him). He didn't even stay mad at Rip very long. I feel like I should be complaining about that, but eh, screw it, it was a nice change. He still had enough tragedy and grumpiness to be recognizable, too. Johnathon Schaech was very appealing (and still looks good, despite the makeup), and I'd love for them to bring him back. There must be some Western cliches they didn't hit, even with the gunfight and the poker game and the bar brawl. A cattle drive? A range war? Some excuse to get them all back in Old West drag, because they looked great. A nice balance between "this is a very attractive cast," and "d'awwwww."

I've decided to embrace the fact that Rip is a lousy leader and they break everything they touch. We don't really have any reason to believe Rip has any experience at being in charge. We haven't seen much of the Time Masters, but teams don't really seem to be their thing. Eve Baxter was alone on the Acheron, Druce was accompanied only by Chronos, and Miranda and Rip worked as a pair in their training exercise, with no other crew. The makeup of the team alone seems to prove that he's very new at this. Who other than a neophyte would recruit a herd of cats? In general, I tend to believe people would be terrible at time travel (though that is undoubtedly influenced by all the movies and tv shows and books that show people being SO VERY TERRIBLE at time travel). What is causing and caused by any single moment would be far too complex to interpret and predict with any reliability. The TMs seem to count on the Great River of Time (dum dum dum) absorbing most of the ripples they cause without any ill-effects, but how could they ever be sure? How do they know which is a change that will stick and which won't when big actions and little ones both can do either? And that's before you even touch a mess like "oops, we radicalized Per Degaton five years early because most people would hesitate to murder a kid, even if he's evil." Almost every time our team doesn't interfere, it's wrong, and almost every time they do interfere, it's also wrong. I could get annoyed by that, but at this point, I'm curious what the writers are going for. Presumably their season plan isn't "the Legends fail because time is immutable," as per Fitz on Agents of SHIELD, so how do they plan to get out of this cul-de-sac?

Edited by justjoan
  • Love 4

Also are there not any other letters in the Greek alphabet? The Omega Directive (used on Voyager) and now the Omega protocol.

I think Omega Protocol was probably supposed to echo the Omega Sanction which is basically a death delivered by Darkseid's Omega Beams. Though calling it the Omega Sanction would have been much more clever.

I'm excited to see Pilgrim next week. I wonder if they'll get into her back story at all.

Wow. I actually enjoyed Kendra's B-plot, gasp!

Me too! She met her older self who is not really, wasnt expecting that, that was cool.

Gotta love this show and its time shenanigans, the possibilities are endless.

I feel like I dont know most of these characters, except Sara, so I dont mind seeing more personal side stories from Kendra or anyone.

And I liked Sara & Kendra having scenes together and a side story, Sara doesnt need to be part of action/main plot all the time IMO. Thats why I like this show so far, new people, new places, new timelines, new dynamics, it really tries to mix it up and do new things. As well as give everyone in the team a time to shine, so I hope Jax gets an episode of his own too, soon. 

This was the nicest version of Jonah Hex ever! He was so friendly (for him) and sweet (for him).

That was friendly?, I guess will stick to this version then

What they need to do is get off this Vandal avage hunt

They werent chasing VS though, they were hiding from the time masters in this episode, and next week's episode look like its another non-VS episode. I can remember a few more episodes that deviated from VS hunt.

Edited by WildcardC

Alpha (the first letter) is actually used more often, and Beta and Gamma are also common.

//This is off topic, but aren't Greek alphabet letters used to teach maths in your countries? I think I've learned like half of this alphabet during my high school Geometry course.

They're used in some contexts, particularly as you go to higher levels of math and physics where they're the standard notation for things (pi is pi for all of us :), but we used our Roman characters most of the time for generally labeling things like variables and, in geometry, the sides of shapes when we had to prove two elements were congruent..  For instance, in algebra we'd write ax²+bx+c=0.

• Love 1

Is Ciara Renee pregnant? I'm not being mean, I have a weird pregnancy-dar. (Spotted Anna Paquin's on TB way early, people thought I was being mean. Ditto Kristen Bell.)

Check out the way they have her dressed in the final scene. Noticed it in one of her Wild West outfits too. She's got "Cordy in S4 of Angel" boobs.

Edit: wow, we're only on episode 11? I was thinking earlier that there was NO reason for them to have rushed the Ray/Kendra romance, complete with accelerated fake history together, and I even thought we were closer to a full season of eps.

Edited by kieyra

Sorry show, but that's not HG Wells.  Hg Wells was a woman and she loved Myka Bering.

Ray chooses to be John Wayne, Marty McFly was Clint Eastwood, and John McClane was Roy Rogers, somebody's got to be Gary Cooper.

I enjoyed the episode, kudos to all involved.

• Love 6

Man. These are the worst time travelers ever. And if Rip is so down on them screwing things up, why does he show them something that can manufacture period weapons? That's like giving monkeys blowtorches. I know Jax, Ray and Martin don't have conventionally-based powers and that they'd need protection, but damn.

Never saw Jonah Hex. Heard it sucked. My Jonah experience is basically Riders Of The Worm And Such and the times he popped up on B:TAS and Justice League Unlimited. Nice that they didn't bring up him being a Confederate solider. And I've been meaning to ask . . . how can you get a scar that goes over the mouth? I do find it cute that Jonah would be savvy about things time-travel-y.

Surprised the older lady was a past incarnation. I guess that means we won't get Nighthawk and Cinnamon. No big loss.

What kind of badass name is "Pilgrim"? Ten bucks says that Snart asks her where her buckled shoes are next week.

• Love 2

I really enjoyed the heck out of this episode!  I love how Snart is all "team spirit" these days, how they all insisted that they were going go out and play, and Sara deciding if she likes the new Mick better than the old Mick and still drinking him under the table so to speak.

I love Ray so very much on this show. If this was the Ray we got on Arrow, I might have shipped him with Felicity. As is, I want to see him and Curtis meet just so they can both get a high five.

Also it's official - the only character I would let go without much second thought it Kendra. I like her enough, but if they are just going hit the whole fate/destiny thing on the head every episode - just let her go be with Carter in "not currently on a show but can be used as a guest star every now and then" ville. I'd love to see her become an awesome warrior and train with Sara and kick ass - but apparently, that is just not what I'm going to get. :(

• Love 6

I love Wild West stories, and I love Jonah Hex as a character (ignore that terrible excuse for a movie), so this was right up my alley. This show is, as always, at its best when it sticks its characters in an interesting location, and just lets them do their things. Their things are frequently screwing with the time line, and generally making a mess of things, but I kind of like it. I am kind of tickled by the fact that the gang are the worst time travelers ever, and care not about the Prime Directive or whatever. They are just various weirdoes who have been thrown into this mess, and are trying to help out where they can.

Snart and Sara are still my favorites. I love how Snart is shown to increasingly care about the team, and I loved the conversation between him and Stein during poker. There is hope for you yet, Captain. I am really looking forward to him meeting up with Barry again, and Barry seeing the kinder, less evil Captain Cold. Sara was not used a lot here, but she has gotten a ton of screen time so far, so I was ok with it. I like her and Kendra together. And, hey, Kendra gets an interesting subplot! Nice!

Ray is so adorable, I swear I want to hug him every week. He just wants to be a good guy SO BAD, its incredibly endearing. Seriously, where was this guy over on Arrow? I would have liked this guy!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 9

Watched it again because it was a fun ep. Still love the drinking contest between Mick and Sara, with Mick passed out on the bar and Sara beating people up without any issues. Then they showed he could barely walk afterwards. There's a lesson, don't drink with Sara. 

I wonder why they felt the need to stick Kendra and Ray together. Since we know she's destined to be with her block of wood. 

I want to see if the Time Masters Assassin is any match for Team Legends Assassin Sara. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 7

And if Rip is so down on them screwing things up, why does he show them something that can manufacture period weapons? That's like giving monkeys blowtorches.

LMAO!!!!!!

Oh yea, I forgot to mention how much I'm looking forward to the Legends having to defend their younger selves.  I know Rip supposedly lied to them in the first episode, but I'm actually starting to see how the team could become Legends at the rate they are going.

• Love 2

Watched it again because it was a fun ep. Still love the drinking contest between Mick and Sara, with Mick passed out on the bar and Sara beating people up without any issues. Then the showed he could barely walk afterwards.

Hee, I watched it again too. It's probably my favorite ep so far. Everyone was just likable. Even Rip, hiding away in his ship pining. He's running around in Jonah's coat and naming his kid after him? Why, Rip, you romantic, you. I wouldn't mind if he got punched in the face more often, though. Make it a running gag.

Everything with the Mick and Sara drinking contest was great, as was him wishing she was along on the midnight raid. Jax is a better shot than I would have expected. Snart wasn't a surprise, though his two big shootist moments were still very impressive. I wouldn't have figured Jax could shoot a gun out of a man's hand, though. Well done. I also loved Jonah's reaction to Firestorm, especially in contrast to Ra's al Ghul.

I'm sure there are budgetary reasons why they can't do more full-on period pieces like this, but I really wish we'd get a goofy medieval one. Go full Renn Faire.

Edited by justjoan
  • Love 7

I'm sure there are budgetary reasons why they can't do more full-on period pieces like this, but I really wish we'd get a goofy medieval one. Go full on Renn Faire.

I want this! I can imagine Sara wanting to dress like a knight and being the tiniest Knight that ever existed. 

• Love 4

Thanks to the Suicide Squad trailer, I had "Barroom Blitz" playing over the saloon dust-up. Still? It was awesome to see everyone just goin' to town until Hex put a stop to it.  Then it got fun!

*"John Wayne" becoming the new sheriff!

*Anna Devere Smith as AwesomeWildWest!Shayera!

*Rip getting decked by Jonah due to past association!

*Rip getting snarked on for his/Hex's duster!

*Martin backstory!

*Kendra's red coat and lovely horse!

*Ray tipping his hat to Snart after the initial facedown of Stillwater!

Just so much!

I think if the writers trusted the character more, then having her bond more with Sara, Rip and Martin? Could be a better play. Especially as most here seem to read Kendra as "just" a love interest, where I am seeing potential for very cool stories. I do wish the stories about Kendra revolved more around her taking stock of herself and her new powers and memories, and see where everyone else is fed up with her love life. I am too, even though I enjoy Ray and Ray/Kendra. I am in the Not-Every-Episode bleachers with y'all. 

Maybe we need a redheaded lady, so that there is a fuller dynamic among the ladies? I am glad that Sara and Kendra are friendly and respect each other, but it feels like Sara is "boxed" by the writing  into the guys'/ team stuff or she is with Kendra. If she is needed, for reasonable story reasons, to be with the team (like tonight), it shouldn't feel like it's a contrivance to set up something else (Jax's capture) to have Sara being a friend and adventure buddy with Kendra.

"You gonna kill Savage with a bracelet?!" If the bracelet is metal, it should be able to be melted or heated enough to hammer it into a more deadly shape or form? I could be wrong, but WildWest!Shayera must have been alone for a bit to forget that.  (I'm headcannoning that she'd have to make her own bullets some of the time, insisting on living so remotely.)

I will watch this again! Blowtorching monkeys and all!

• Love 3

So, my takeaway from this episode was... Rip and Jonah were lovers.

Oh, and the menace of the Hunters that was last week's cliffhanger was ridiculously overdramatized.

Honestly at this point I think Rip should just give up on his mission. All he does is make things worse and let these group of degenerates loose upon whatever timeline they're in.

He has no control over the group, no coherent plan and makes no effort to rein these people in. I'm out. 

At this point, I'm nearly convinced that this is his plan; create as much havoc with these rabble rousers as possible in order to force the Time Masters to get rid of Vandal Savage themselves just to stop his menacing.

(The joke's on Rip, though, because the "Time Masters" are pretty clearly incompetent themselves.)

Edited by Cthulhudrew
  • Love 6

So, my takeaway from this episode was... Rip and Jonah were lovers.

Oh, and the menace of the Hunters that was last week's cliffhanger was ridiculously overdramatized.

At this point, I'm nearly convinced that this is his plan; create as much havoc with these rabble rousers as possible in order to force the Time Masters to get rid of Vandal Savage themselves just to stop his menacing.

(The joke's on Rip, though, because the "Time Masters" are pretty clearly incompetent themselves.)

OK. I was wondering if it was just in my head that Rip and Jonah came off as slashy. With no flashbacks of Rip's time in Calvert, every phrase seemed like it was loaded with pregnant pauses that hinted at some great love affair between the two of them. "I fell in love with... this time period with...the chance to be a hero." You can't start off their interactions together with Jonah complimenting Rip on how Rip looks in Jonah's jacket, follow up with the reveal that Rip named his son after Jonah, and have viewers wonder if there was something more between them.

In season two I would much rather see Vandal as a catalyst for all sorts of atrocities and calamities that the team has to clean up and prevent from happening because Rip's inability to lead them is getting ridiculous. In this episode he told them to not cause trouble or disrupt the timeline and then gave them guns.

• Love 7

Love the Old West, and I loved the set for this episode.  I wish they could stay there for longer than one episode.

But I'm so confused...  the team landed in 1871  Kendra gets a flashback and sees a drawing of herself and Carter that was said to be done in 1830.  The drawing looks exactly like present day Kendra.  So she meets her self aged 40 years.... and her +40 year self turns out to be this plump grizzled white woman who looks a little bit like Kathy Bates?!?!?!  How did Kendra go from black to white?  In the 1950s storyline, she and Ray were clearly referred to on the show as an interracial couple, so it is clear that Kendra is supposed to be black, despite whatever the ethnicity of the actress is.

When Kendra and Carter met Prof. Aldus Boardman, he showed them a picture of their family, and the people in the photo looked like Carter and Kendra.  And they looked like how they did in Ancient Egypt as they did in the present.  So my interpretation is that they always look like present day Carter and Kendra.  Not sure how older Kendra (or whatever her name was) grew into an old white lady.

I think the show has done a fairly decent job keeping race and gender issues historically accurate.  Well, as accurate as possible with a low budget show like this.  Obviously the Civil War is well over by 1871 and the realities out west would be a bit different.  

But I'm so confused...  the team landed in 1871  Kendra gets a flashback and sees a drawing of herself and Carter that was said to be done in 1830.  The drawing looks exactly like present day Kendra.  So she meets her self aged 40 years.... and her +40 year self turns out to be this plump grizzled white woman who looks a little bit like Kathy Bates?!?!?!  How did Kendra go from black to white?  

Anna Deavere Smith is not white.  

• Love 6

What I took from this episode is that when Kendra and Carter regenerate, um I mean reincarnate, they get new bodies.  So that'd give the show the ability to recast Carter if they didn't like his wooden acting.

Snart gets the best 1 liners.  "There won't be Miranda rights for 100 years" hee

• Love 1

OK. I was wondering if it was just in my head that Rip and Jonah came off as slashy. With no flashbacks of Rip's time in Calvert, every phrase seemed like it was loaded with pregnant pauses that hinted at some great love affair between the two of them. "I fell in love with... this

time period with...the chance to be a hero." You can't start off their interactions together with Jonah complimenting Rip on how Rip looks in Jonah's jacket, follow up with the reveal that Rip named his son after Jonah, and have viewers wonder if there was something more between them.

Plus Rip's all, "Excuse me, I need to have a... word... with Jonah" and proceeds to disappear for a while with him, and with no reference to what their "word" was about.

I can't imagine that the writers were really trying to go that route- or that they would ever follow through with it, at any rate- but if they did, I would give them major props for one of the most daring things this show has done so far. It would almost make up for so much of the misfires they otherwise do for me.

In any case, it absolutely had those overtones, intended or not.

(EDIT: Come to think of it, given how hokey so much of the writing has been this season in my view, I wouldn't be surprised if they had written this without regard to how it played, and the actors took it upon themselves to add the subtext. That would be even better.)

Edited by Cthulhudrew
  • Love 2

I definitely figured Jonah and Rip had been a couple.  I'm going to be really annoyed if it turns out they weren't.  I thought it was excellent to introduce another LGBT character.  

• Love 1

What are they calling them? Hexrip? Hexter?

Too bad DC and Marvel don't get along. They could totally do a crossover with Jonah Hex and Rip Hunter meeting up with the Rawhide Kid.

Edited by Cthulhudrew

Now, this was more like it!  Aside from the B-plot (more or that later), I had a blast with this episode.  Everyone hanging out the Wild West, playing poker, drinking shots (sorry, Mick, but there is no way you were going to ever outdrink Sara), and, of course, barroom brawls.

That said, this group really continues to be the worst time-travelers ever.  It is like they keep fucking up even more each and each time they travel.  And, yet, I blame a lot of this on Rip, because he keeps letting happen.  In particular, tonight he was practically a lax father, first half-heartedly telling the kids to stay put, the kids being all "But I want hang out in the west, dad!", and then he's just like "Fine... just be back in time for supper!"  So, really, Rip's just an ineffective leader, and he's pretty much giving the team reign to fuck shit up.  Again, the Time Masters might actually be onto something with him.

So, the show uses this to introduce a Josh Brolin-less Jonah Hex.  He was pretty fun character, and Jonathan Schaech had the whole Clint Eastwood-ish voice down pact.  I agree that he did come off more like he was a jilted lover of Rip's then just a friend, but I have no idea if the show would even think about that route.  I was bummed that we didn't get to see him admit that Sara was badass, since earlier he made some kind "A woman?  Really?" comment, when Mick said he wished she was with them for the showdown (and, yes, I love that Mick totally knows Sara is the best.)

Figured that kid was going to be someone important, so naturally, he ends up being HG Wells, and not only did Martin save him, but planted the idea of referring to himself as HG.  Ah, time travel!

Snart was pretty much at home in this era.  While Ray really wanted to be at home, but probably would have had some problems adapting, if he had to stay there for a long time.

So, that just leaves the Kendra subplot, which was the only thing I didn't like.  The idea was solid, but it would only work if I cared more about Kendra to begin with.  Or thought Ciara Renee was compelling to watch, but still find her to be one of the weaker links of the cast.  Instead, I was bored, and annoyed that Sara got drug into this plot, instead of getting to kick ass with the rest of them.

So, The Time Masters are really going for the throat now, and sending someone to try and take out the team's younger selves.  Oh, this should be fun!

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 3
He just wants to be a good guy SO BAD, its incredibly endearing. Seriously, where was this guy over on Arrow?

Still the same guy, a little goofier maybe. 

What I took from this episode is that when Kendra and Carter regenerate, um I mean reincarnate, they get new bodies.  So that'd give the show the ability to recast Carter if they didn't like his wooden acting.

They get the same bodies and face, so same actors.

Edited by WildcardC

What I took from this episode is that when Kendra and Carter regenerate, um I mean reincarnate, they get new bodies.  So that'd give the show the ability to recast Carter if they didn't like his wooden acting.

Only if they want to cast the old man or child version - otherwise, it's the same face.  It was probably faster to just cast a different actress instead of putting CR in old age makeup and using the usual tricks.

Did Ray kill that hunter in the final battle?  That's a pretty brutal move for an idealistic hero.

So that'd give the show the ability to recast Carter if they didn't like his wooden acting.

From your lips to the showrunners' ears.

My favorite of the heroes is still Snart--and I was glad we got more of him being snarky this week--but I've decided I just love Ray. He's such a dork. I once saw Ray on a crossover episode on The Flash and he didn't make much of an impression on me, but here? He's the best. Who knew the guy who played (IMO) such a wooden Superman could be so appealing and funny? I think Brandon Routh has found his niche.

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 3

Really fun episode.  This one had a lot going on and I enjoyed it.  Another example of the stuff this show is capable of.

Rip truly is the worst time traveler and its hilarious how he lets his team walk all over him.  I did like that he had a past with Jonah.  I tend to agree with the AV Club review that the Jonah actor needed a little more intensity in his performance but he was a welcome presence on his show and his reactions or non-reactions to things were pretty funny, like when Ray said they could fix his face.

Yeah, I did notice that scene where Rip said he wanted to have a word with Jonah and we never saw it and it wasn't mentioned again.

Mick has been a standout character and his training by the Time Masters has added a new, fascinating dynamic to his character.  Who would have thought?

I wish the Wells reveal had been that the kid was a relative of Harrison Wells.  It was indeed a bizarre contrived shoehorning.  BTW, after Warehouse 13, I do view HG Wells as a woman too.

I actually do like Ciara Renee but I've had it with her only storyline being her romance.  The last two episodes have ended the same exact way for her and Ray.  Enough already!

Good way to end the episode and I'm looking forward to seeing that play out tomorrow.

• Love 3

I wasn't sure until they said their goodbyes and I thought "Yeah, that's a little gay". Checked and people on Tumblr are already shipping them.

That is so fantastic!  I totally got the feeling that there was something very special between them and not Oliver/Diggle special to be honest.  Oliver might name his son after Diggle, but there was just something more here.  Maybe it is just how the actors choose to play it.

Personally, I'm going to end up shipping Snart and Ray if the show keeps giving me little moments like Cold shooting the gun out of the guy's hand who is about to fire at Ray because he just knows Ray is going to get himself in trouble - not to mention Ray's tip of the hat to him after.  I'm not much of a slash fan normally, but there is just something about Snart because I also liked him with Barry on Flash.

Only if they want to cast the old man or child version - otherwise, it's the same face.  It was probably faster to just cast a different actress instead of putting CR in old age makeup and using the usual tricks.

Did Ray kill that hunter in the final battle?  That's a pretty brutal move for an idealistic hero.

Eh it was pretty much life or death there - he gets a pass.  Barry has killed a couple of metahumans over on Flash and no one says a word.

• Love 2

I really like that this show doesn't have a "No kill" rule like Arrow. It's more 'Try not to kill anyone" 

Have they all killed people now? We know that Sara, Mick and Snart killed people, Jax and Stein kind of helped kill Lady Firestorm, Ray killed a Time Hunter, Rip killed Jeb Stillwater. 

• Love 4

I loved this one. One of the best we've had and not the first time a certain actor from a time travelling show has been in the Old West, huh?

The way both Rip and Jonah Hex were written you'd swear they were former boyfriends or whatever but either way, Hex worked as a guest character and it was nice to get a bit more insight into Rip as well.

I also dug Kendra's subplot with meeting another version of herself and nice that Sara got added into the plot as well. Liked seeing Sara and Kendra interact a bit more this week.

Sara and Mick's bonding/drinking session was brilliant and I laughed at Mick being passed out during the saloon fight as well.

Hunters seemed a little easily defeated but they set the Pilgrim assassin well. Mick showed a lot of knowledge in this one.

Jax still needs more to do but I did like learning more on Stein, the HG Wells plot and Ray's general geekiness as well this week, 9/10

• Love 2

I get denial being pretty powerful and all, and the people in Salvation could ignore most of what saw from Snart, Rip, Hex and even Ray (since they might not have really noticed him when he was tiny and his suit might just be seen as really bizarre armor) but in the aftermath they seemed pretty calm considering they has just seen a woman with wings and a guy on fire. Hex even crossed himself when Firestorm took off, and if HE was startled by something most of the townsfolk should have pretty much been dying from fright.

• Love 3

I'm sure the writers are having fun with these "Forrest Gump" moments, but really, H.G. Wells was English.  Did they invent some story as to how he ended up in 1871 South Dakota?  I must have missed it.  I was waiting for some more consequences of the modern day medicine.

Anna Deavere Smith is not white.  

Oh, she's not?  My apologies to her then, it must have been the light.  But she was noticeably lighter than Kendra, so I guess they could have explained that better.  Since every incarnation we have seen of Kendra's past lives show her looking like how she does now.  I get that this was an aged Kendra, but they could have done a better job finding an actress who looks like she could be an older Kendra.  

I'm still a little confused as to what happens in each life.  I know most of the time they are killed by Vandal Savage, and then there's some unexplained reincarnation.  In the 1871 timeline, it appears that Carter ("Hannibal") was killed by Savage.  So then what?  "Kendra" lives her life until she is either killed by Savage, some other means, or dies a natural death?  Then do they both reincarnate at the same time?

• Love 1