Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Monster

• Start Topic

The thing I like about Strand is he's the only one who's acting like the world's falling apart.  The rest are just assing around like they're just waiting for when the all-clear sounds, so they can go back to their banal little lives.  Did they not see the air force bomb the shit out of the city?

I feel like I've been sold a bill of really crappy goods with this show.  My understanding was that this was supposed to be an origin story to show us HOW things got to the point TWD started at.  There should be a storyline devoted to how the government loses control of the situation.  The coast guard has left a recording begging people to forgive them.  What's up with that? 

It's clear that Strand is a man who knows what's going on.  We should be watching him make mysterious phone calls (with his satellite phone) and having cryptic meetings with government officials who just happen to sail by on their own well-appointed yachts.   Salazar would be a good addition to this because he's already survived his world collapsing; he knows what it takes to survive.  But instead we spend most of our time watching a bunch of teenage angst and a junkie NOT going through withdrawal.  If heroin is that easy to kick, then why do so many people die addicted to the stuff?  Obviously Kirkman has never met a junkie.

My teenage days are long-gone but I find it hard to believe that today's kids would want to identify with the batch of whiny losers on this show.  Is FD what passes for heart-throb these days?  I didn't like Nick when he was played by Johnny Depp so I'm even more turned-off by this cheap imitation they hired.  The young women on the show are insultingly useless.  How could Alicia be so stupid and selfish to endanger the lives of everyone on the boat (that she and her family are GUESTS on) because she was feeling LONELY AND MISUNDERSTOOD.  Throw that bitch overboard.  Chris spends hours in his room hugging up his mother's corpse and then throws a hissy fit when they attempt to respectfully dispose of her remains.  Ofelia is clearly brain-dead which explains why she might end up with Nick.  The only upside of a Nick/Ofelia romance will be when her father goes to work on Nick with one of his razors if that filthy junkie lays hands on his little girl.

I've liked Cliff Curtis and Kim Dickens in other things but I don't even recognize them now.

I want all of these people to die except for Strand and Salazar.  Strand stays.

Edited by mightysparrow
  • Love 7

I'm completely frustrated by this show already.  I find the characters so unlikable.  I know for a fact that I was very engaged with the WD within a few episodes.  I was rooting for those characters and I don't care about the Fear group.  I'm trying to remember if WD characters were once as stupid as Maddie and Travis and company.  I think there were (and are) definitely stupid, annoying characters on WD, but are the Fear characters excessively unlikable?  Or is it just that we as an audience know far more than these people an that is what is frustrating?

I noticed that this show is free on the AMC site.  They would never give away WD.  Do they know how inferior this is? 

• Love 4

I'm completely frustrated by this show already.  I find the characters so unlikable.  I know for a fact that I was very engaged with the WD within a few episodes.  I was rooting for those characters and I don't care about the Fear group.  I'm trying to remember if WD characters were once as stupid as Maddie and Travis and company.  I think there were (and are) definitely stupid, annoying characters on WD, but are the Fear characters excessively unlikable?  

Yes!  Maybe not "unlikable" so much as boring.  The Governor was unlikable, but David Morrissey acted the crap out of that role.  He wasn't boring.  Almost the entire lead cast of Fear is simply...uninteresting...completely lacking in charisma.  If I keep tuning in for awhile, it will only be to see if the Strand character develops into someone interesting, because the actor is doing a good job with what he's been given.  At least I kiiinda want to see what he's up to. 

• Love 6

But instead we spend most of our time watching a bunch of teenage angst and a junkie NOT going through withdrawal.  If heroin is that easy to kick, then why do so many people die addicted to the stuff?  Obviously Kirkman has never met a junkie.

Generally speaking, a detox from heroin doesn't kill most people, overdosing can and does because it slows the central nervous system enough to stop your breathing and/or heart. The detox is messy and unpleasant and you feel like you are going to die (muscle cramps, diarrhea,  watery eyes, sweating, runny nose,  vomiting, amongst other things), but you are more likely to go into cardiac arrest or seizures detoxing (or cold turkeying) from benzos or alcohol (they hit the same receptor sites) than opiates. If memory serves, an average dose of heroin (most opiates in general) will be active in the body for 3-6 hours or so. A person may feel symptoms anywhere from 6-12 hours (dose dependent) after last dose when detoxing, (that's the half-life - how long it says in your system) and the detox could last anywhere between 5-10 days. As an example, most people can be detoxed from alcohol in 2-5 days (on average & depending on amount and length of use). Alcohol has a pretty short half-life. 

Don't forget, they have been weening him off since the hospital, so I would say that he is pretty much detoxed at this point. The peak of most symptoms tends to be around 48-72 hours later. I suppose if he can get through that, he is probably gonna be ok. We know that he has been getting some meds here and there, so that has helped him ween off. I surmise that his use was much greater when partying with friends. Since the hospital, he has had much less, and it has been tapering down, due to supply. 

Edited by riverheightsnancy
  • Love 5

Medical experiments, I hope.  They're not good for anything else.

Hah, I was visualizing the same thing and then it occurred to me that I was half remembering one of the last Z Nation episodes from last season. Also involved a boat. Gosh, I miss that show. Watching FearTWD  makes me appreciate it even more.

• Love 2

Hi, WalnutQueen, I support you're dislike of the character but I did see that "detainment cage" scene differently.

Strand thinks strategically, reading people and talking is what he is good at. He is a high contrast to anybody else in the cast save Salazar. But as I have said before I think we all have a bit more of Strand and Salazar in ourselves than we would like to or want to admit especially in a life or death situation. We don't know who or what is in San Diego or why it is important to Strand. He is doing his damnedest to get there just as I would to get back to my loved ones.

Strand didn't scramble Doug's head just for fun, Strand had a plan to get out. Doug was unstable and already an emotional mess and that could jeopardize his chance at freedom  so he removed the threat to his plan. It wasn't pretty but it was effective. If he felt that he didn't have to do it I don't think he would have given Doug his time. Also he is very honest in some respects by telling you who he is. He hasn't told anyone anything more than he needs to but he hasn't lied to anyone in the group yet and it would seem he keeps his deals and so far his word and believes in quid pro quo.. If you don't believe him, that is on you. He told Doug that he, Strand, could sell anything, to prove that point he sold Doug the idea that his wife could survive without him and Doug bought it hook line and sinker. Nick said "You saved me." after Stand bartered his cufflinks for him. Strand honestly told him "No, I obligated you."  He told the officer with whom he earlier bartered the watch that a Deal was a deal, the watch was his. He needed to get to his house, the others needed a place to regroup. He offered his house and later his boat. His not opening the pens was the same reason he didn't take on the boat people, "Helping them hurts us." and those in the pens were there for a reason and they could have very well ended our groups ability to escape the compound. Also, as he said, he filled his quota of saving lives.  And  Alicia has now unknowingly betrayed him (and he group), the first to do so, so now we get to see how he handles that.

Good or bad we haven't seen the entire picture of Strand. I am curious as to how his character is fleshed out and what he goes through in the series.

On a side note, last year I hated Nick the addict and wanted him gone now I have become intrigued, still don't care for him but am curious if he will grow.

Yes, sociopaths are sometimes honest to a fault, because they aren't wired like the rest of us.  I'd take the honesty of Nick the addict and Salazar the reluctant torturer over Strands's insufferable self aggrandizing spiel any day - and twice on Sunday nights.

STFU, Strand.

ETA - the mere act of jumping into the ocean from a yacht does not put you in ANY danger of getting attacked by sharks.

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 5

If you appreciate the value of bad tv, have ever wanted to root for the zombies, or you're curious to see how lazily a network can milk a brand, this show is for you.

If you need a coherent story that shows all the beats, decent acting, or any kind of effort beyond some interesting camera shots, stay away.

I say pop some corn, pour a drink, and have fun on the boards as you await the inevitable catharsis that will come when they start killing major characters (they can't not). As a bonus, pretty much everything seems better by contrast, so you can reset your standards.

Just my opinion, of course.

• Love 4

Riddle me this, viewers/awesome PTV members? Should I attempt to watch season 2?

I thought the first episode of Season 2 was a bit better -- for the most part -- than the majority of episodes in Season 1.  It gets right into the action in the first few minutes... and then comes to a sluggish crawl in the middle of the episode.

If you were annoyed by the characters in Season 1, that is not likely to change with this first episode. 

If you have a love of eels and belong to any Save the Eels foundations, this first episode would not be for you.

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 2

If you appreciate the value of bad tv, have ever wanted to root for the zombies, or you're curious to see how lazily a network can milk a brand, this show is for you.

Ha! This shitburger of a show is just as bad as it was last year. Just. So. Boring.

They're in the middle of apocalypse and the kid wants to take his dead mother along? Okay great.

Whole lot of angsty stuff, this is like walking dead meets bold & beautiful. Still coming back, because I dont have a life.

• Love 3

Just a thought on the motor yacht Abigail. Is her name a play on words... A big ail...  the zombie infection?

Good one, Gizelle!

I also think Strand might know a lot more than the rest of them. He was prepared.

Riddle me this, viewers/awesome PTV members? Should I attempt to watch season 2?

I vote yes; I am in the minority I guess, but I am liking this show a lot.

• Love 3

Here's what I think would be interesting-

Recently in TWD there has been a lot of discussion about CDB verses the Saviors. That Ricks group thinks they are the good guys but so do the Saviors. That Rick's group could have easily been with the Saviors if things had been different back at the beginning of the apocalypse.

What I think would be interesting is if in FTWD we are seeing the birth of another group only this time being led by a sociopath. It would be interesting to see how ordinary (very ordinary), boring (very boring) people turn into the evil baddies that Rick's group continues to meet.

• Love 5

I just read that the thing Nick got was the yacht's log, and it was not wet coz it got in a plastic somehow???

Yes.  It clearly said "Yacht Log" and was in a plastic bag.

I. Can't. Stand. Strand.  HATE that character. You do not need to speak every fucking line like you're auditioning for an Old Spice commercial.

Hee!  I had to check IMDB to make sure he wasn't Isaiah Mustafa.  Colman Domingo looks and sounds so much like him.

If they had time to pack, why didn't they pack food?  Why are they having to eat eel? Strand made it clear he had food at the house. Why not bring it?

They probably did but why eat the packed food when there is an ocean full of fish?  Save the reserves for when they don't catch fish.

Well, Maddie is still annoying.  We know Kim can do better than this, so why is she phoning it in?  And the teenagers make me glad TWD only features one teenager (who took years to become a kick ass character).  Yeah, each of them has reason to be doing stupid things but being subjected to all three at once is frustrating to watch.  Pace yourself, kids.

I agree that Strand (as evil and untrustworthy as he is) is the most interesting character and the one with the most potential for a meaty (heh) storyline.  I'll continue to watch as long as he's still around and will be interested to see if he knows more about the ZA than he's letting on.  Maybe the promise the show runners made about learning how the ZA began will be from Strand's POV.

In any case, I think this epi was better than last season.  The Floating Dead are a new wrinkle and while roving bands of villains aren't new to the franchise, putting them on boats is.  We know "Jack" is one of the pirates that shot up the boat at the end, right?  Thanks a lot, Alicia.

• Love 2

Here's what I think would be interesting-

Recently in TWD there has been a lot of discussion about CDB verses the Saviors. That Ricks group thinks they are the good guys but so do the Saviors. That Rick's group could have easily been with the Saviors if things had been different back at the beginning of the apocalypse.

What I think would be interesting is if in FTWD we are seeing the birth of another group only this time being led by a sociopath. It would be interesting to see how ordinary (very ordinary), boring (very boring) people turn into the evil baddies that Rick's group continues to meet.

That would be interesting, so odds are we'll never see it.

• Love 4

Don't forget, they have been weening him off since the hospital, so I would say that he is pretty much detoxed at this point. The peak of most symptoms tends to be around 48-72 hours later. I suppose if he can get through that, he is probably gonna be ok. We know that he has been getting some meds here and there, so that has helped him ween off. I surmise that his use was much greater when partying with friends. Since the hospital, he has had much less, and it has been tapering down, due to supply. 

Well he WAS detoxing but then he discovered the neighbor whom Eliza was keeping supplied with morphine, there were a few scenes of Nick lying under that man's bed with the morphine drip pluggged into his arm instead of they dying old man's arm so with a pure drip going every day for however many days I think Nick should STILL be in detox but maybe I should enjoy another line of handwavium......

• Love 2

I'm all about tone and cadence when it comes to listening. Colman Domingo has a voice and speaks very much like two other actors I admire and who's voices I also love James Earl Jones and Alan Rickman. It's the same reason I love listening to Billie Holiday and Frank Sinatra who's singing was influenced Holiday. For Coleman I believe it comes from his theater training and work where the word and it's delivery is what is prominent not the action..

• Love 2
In any case, I think this epi was better than last season.  The Floating Dead are a new wrinkle and while roving bands of villains aren't new to the franchise, putting them on boats is.  We know "Jack" is one of the pirates that shot up the boat at the end, right?  Thanks a lot, Alicia.

I don't know if we know anything for certain about Jack.  They certainly have suggested his intentions are very bad.  I think at this point, all we know is he is an ominous presence who may or may not be on his way to intercept the boat. 

At this point, the only thing I could say for certain is that Alicia is very naive. 

I also think Strand might know a lot more than the rest of them. He was prepared.

The producers said that Strand was a wealthy fixer, that means he solves problems on behalf of others most likely wealthy, influential, corporate, or government types (they can pay). I bet in his dealings he was told or caught wind of something,  it was confirmed by independent sources or observations and the rumors wouldn't die. He has discretionary income so why not be prepared. They also said that he was in detention because he was swept up in wrong place at wrong time had that not happened I believe he would have already been in San Diego.

I'm interested in finding out more of his background, I imagine it will be a slow reveal.

• Love 1

They're in the middle of apocalypse and the kid wants to take his dead mother along? Okay great.

Whole lot of angsty stuff, this is like walking dead meets bold & beautiful. Still coming back, because I dont have a life.

Travis loaded the body onboard because on the beach, with the walkers ready to chomp everyone, the boy says he can't leave her. I don't think ANYONE would believe such an utterance from this character under the current circumstances, but the writers went there. Idiotic.

The producers said that Strand was a wealthy fixer, that means he solves problems on behalf of others most likely wealthy, influential, corporate, or government types (they can pay). 

Really? That's kind of an important detail that they skipped mentioning on the show. It means the house and Abigail are not his (I don't care how good a fixer you are, you're not amassing a net worth in the hundreds of millions.) and he's probably just appropriating stuff from his clients. 

• Love 5

Really? That's kind of an important detail that they skipped mentioning on the show. It means the house and Abigail are not his (I don't care how good a fixer you are, you're not amassing a net worth in the hundreds of millions.) and he's probably just appropriating stuff from his clients. 

We have only known Strand a few days. We know very little about him or how he acquired his wealth. The house and the yacht could be entirely his. It is possible the yacht or the house could have been a form payment. A fixer can be an entirely legitimate profession or it can be nefarious. Some will pay millions to smooth over, cover up, put together deals. I would think the price depends on how badly somebody wants it taken care of. As the season goes on we may find out more about his background.

It will be interesting to see how a wealthy character survives in this new world. It hasn't been shown before.

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/Why-Fear-Walking-Dead-Newest-Character-Have-Major-Impact-Story-88827.html

Quote:  "Here’s how showrunner Dave Erickson explained Strand and his entrance to the show, according to THR.

Strand is a fixer but he's also a man of means, he's quite wealthy and gets scooped up when things go to hell. There's an irony to him being stuck where someone of his means would never be. He's a survivor in his own right. If you take Daniel and Strand and see how they interact, it's going to be quite compelling. Strand is a guy who recognizes that there's a shift in currency. He knows things are not going to get better for some time and that the shiny objects are not what matter anymore. That's why he's willing to give away his watch to the guard. We wanted to introduce a wealthier character that you don't see that often on the original show and see how they interact with our blue-collar family. He will be very important in how the season ends and where we go in Season 2.

THR = The Hollywood Reporter

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/fear-walking-dead-ticking-clock-827484

Edited by Giselle
I. Can't. Stand. Strand.  HATE that character. You do not need to speak every fucking line like you're auditioning for an Old Spice commercial. Dear god, shut up with all the damn cliche's and hurry up and get eaten!  Every line he speaks is just so damn over the top! In fact, he's actually ruining the show for me. *ducks from flying tomatoes*

Bahahaha, this is awesome. And you are not alone. While I don't like how the entire gang is acting so unappreciative of Strand for taking them on his yacht, I don't really care for Strand either. His elusiveness is really getting old, and I don't trust his motivations for bringing everyone on board. 

• Love 3

Bahahaha, this is awesome. And you are not alone. While I don't like how the entire gang is acting so unappreciative of Strand for taking them on his yacht, I don't really care for Strand either. His elusiveness is really getting old, and I don't trust his motivations for bringing everyone on board. 

Old? Not that much time has passed. Strand and Camp Clueless have just met and one knows very little about the other. It took several episodes before we knew that Salazar had a way with a knife and could peel flesh like peeling a grape. Strand has only been in three.

One thing I did notice in the scene where Strand wanted to know who Jack was and then later moved forward to challenge Travis, when Travis did not back down you did see Strand take a step back, reassess, and state the Rules of the boat.

Strand stays.

Dull dull dull. I was just waiting the whole episode for one of the incredibly stupid things they did to come home to roost. When they all started diving in, and then didn't just swim away from the floating zombies, my eyes rolled back so hard. And this is what we lost our Heda for?? Harumph!

• Love 1

Well I liked this episode much more than I did season one, so I plan on sticking with it.  I loved that they resumed in the midst of an action scene.  And I really liked the music in that opening scene.  It reminded me of some 1970s horror film - maybe Phantasm? 

I like most of the characters.  My favorites are Strand, Daniel, and Nick.  Daniel's character became so much more interesting with his back story, and with the death of that horrific wife.  I think she was supposed to be sympathetic, but she always glared and hissed like the actress thought she was playing someone demonically possessed.  Her death scene last season was beyond creepy.  So glad she's gone.  Not crazy about Ofelia, but the character wasn't given anything to do.  I hope she's the first to go.

I couldn't find the quotes but there were some comments about Madison "emasculating" Travis, and how Travis doesn't seem destined to be a Rick.  Well ..... I personally have no problem that Madison is the more take charge and tough character, and I don't think that leaves Travis emasculated.  And in one of the promos, I'm pretty sure it was implied that it's Madison that will be the show's "Rick".  I'm fine with it.  I don't hate the character or the actress.  Fifty year old female characters are pretty rare on TV. 

I sailed for years and I never saw anyone jump into the ocean that far out to swim. Only a lunatic with no appreciation for how dangerous the ocean is would do something so freaking stupid.

I've seen a lot of people swimming in the open ocean when the water is calm.  But you wouldn't see me doing it.  I have an abnormal fear of sharks.  I was more worried about spotting a dorsal fin than I was floating walkers.  It was also dangerous because they were probably malnourished and dehydrated.  Time to go swimming!

I'd set the bar so low, Chris' angst and Alicia's dumbassery (Hello, Stranger Danger!) aside, it was better than I expected. Strand and Nick's relationship is interesting; I think Nick is the only one he remotely trusts, which is kind of funny, but I see a certain logic to it.

On Talking Dead, Hozier made a good observation. Out in the ocean, you're screwed if someone refuses to help. We see that on TWD, but on land there's more opportunity to get out of tight situations. It's easier to rationalize "maybe they got away". On water, it forces you to confront you are condemning someone to die.

Also, on land I'd be more inclined to help someone because supplies are more available. Here, I agreed with Strand and Travis. They can't risk it. Maybe once they get their own bearings and are in a more secure situation they can consider selectively helping others. With everything so uncertain right now? No way. Feels uncomfortably cold blooded, but that's the reality here.

I love Strand's and Nick's relationship.  First of all, it ups Nick's value to the group.  He was the biggest handicap in that group, and now it's because of him that they are saved.  I find that very interesting.  I've seen lots of moments that show Nick is probably a good guy when he's clean.  He kind of reminds me of TWD's Daryl.  Daryl had very little value to others pre-ZA.  But Daryl has the proper skills to survive the ZA.  Nick struggled with life's minutiae, but he's one of those people who jumps in and does the right thing in an emergency.  Without a concern for himself, he jumped right in the water to go after Chris.  He's used to being the loser and the black sheep of the family.  It's going to be interesting to see where this character goes.

Chris is a mess but can't blame him. He did just lose his mom. I thought he seemed suicidal when he jumped in the water after watching the "family dinner" scene. It makes me wonder if he has always felt like an outsider in his dad's new family.

Chris was irritating, but I don't blame him, either.  He already felt alienated from Travis and his "other family", and that doesn't mean Travis was a bad father to him.  I think it's natural to feel that way.  Just as Alicia and Nick were resentful of Travis living with them.  So Chris probably felt even closer to his mother, and maybe felt he was her protector.  He's feeling alone now, and he knows Travis put the bullet in her head.  And I think it's pretty typical to not want your loved one's corpse consumed.  Even on TWD, they have risked their lives to retrieve dead members to bury properly.

When Maddy said she remembered the "first" time she hit her father, my first thought was since when is it common for kids to slug their fathers, especially young females. I found that to be written poorly. I guess it's a part of her back story, but frankly I don't care about her.

There was a reference last season that Nick had gotten his addiction from their family.  I thought they meant his father, but I guess it could have been Maddy's father.  I don't think we're supposed to believe that Maddy was an elder abuser, so I'm assuming she would hit her father to avoid his abuse.  And that goes along with her harder personality versus Travis's gentler one.

These people are too fucking stupid to live.  Except for my baby Strand that is.  I'm not surprised Strand refuses to sleep considering the hijinks these idiots get up to when he's awake.  Alicia seems to have gotten over her dead boyfriend with a quickness.  A guy plays a little Bowie on the radio and suddenly she's giving up her whole family.  Travis and Maddie are the worst parents in tv history.  It was okay with Travis that his son was kissing on his mother's corpse in his bedroom. 

It's clear that the writers are trying to make us think that Strand is 'morally ambiguous' but the fact that he not only saved this bunch but actually allows them to remain on his boat, cooking lavish eel dinners is proof positive that he's the patron saint of the ZA.  I would have dropped them off to join the 100 or so people on that raft.

Whatever they're paying Colman, it's not enough because he's the main reason I'm watching (and Ruben Blades to a lesser extent).  If Strand goes, I go.

I think Strand is "morally ambiguous", and I don't have a problem with that.  When we first met him, wasn't he deliberately goading Maddy's neighbor into a breakdown?  He did it for fun, and enjoyed watching the man being dragged away - probably to be killed.  He only protected Nick because he needed a "good man" to help him.  We didn't see the guard he was bribing treating him poorly, yet Strand had no problem watching the man slowly being eaten, and couldn't be bothered to put the guy out of his misery.  He even mocked him as he left.  And I have no problem with this.  I prefer my characters gray, as is Daniel.  Since this seems to be the overall fan favorite, I hope criticism of Strand doesn't devolve into the same overreaction that criticism of Rick triggers.

On the other hand, I don't have a problem with Pollyanna characters, either.  I'm not sure how anyone could have spotted those desperate people and felt nothing.  Oh look - they're about to drown or be consumed by sharks.  That's cool.  I think it's human nature to help people in a crisis.  You see it in every culture.  When earthquakes, floods, tsunamis, etc. happen, citizens jump in to help and risk their lives.  It's only when time passes that people start thinking life owes them something, and the looting begins.

I didn't really blame Alicia for what happened.  She's still in high school, and the ZA just began.  It took me a little bit to see where that story was going, but at least it's going to bring some action.  She was introduced as the smarter of Madison's children, so hopefully that was a fluke.

• Love 3
Old? Not that much time has passed. Strand and Camp Clueless have just met and one knows very little about the other. It took several episodes before we knew that Salazar had a way with a knife and could peel flesh like peeling a grape. Strand has only been in three.

In situations like this, I'd think you'd get to know each other very quickly. Everything moves faster in the ZA. Granted, no one is pressing him very hard on who he is/what he's about. But I just, personally, don't like his vague, elusive attitude. 

I wonder how non-watchers of The Walking Dead are reacting to this show?  Anyone feel like chiming in? 

ETA - the mere act of jumping into the ocean from a yacht does not put you in ANY danger of getting attacked by sharks.

Agreed, for the most part.  Sharks along the shoreline have plenty of food, and typically attack humans because they mistake them for their typical prey.  But in the open ocean, food is rare, and that's where the Oceanic Whitetips are.  They will eat anything because food sources are sparse.  They are the ones responsible for the deaths at shipwrecks and plane crashes.

If you're not sure, DVR it for now.  I find I like shows better when I can marathon them.  Then if you don't think it's worth your time, just delete them.

• Love 4

There was a reference last season that Nick had gotten his addiction from their family.  I thought they meant his father, but I guess it could have been Maddy's father.  I don't think we're supposed to believe that Maddy was an elder abuser, so I'm assuming she would hit her father to avoid his abuse.  And that goes along with her harder personality versus Travis's gentler one.

I had no thoughts of elder abuse, especially since she was only 13. So either she was an entitled brat or the father was abusive and she was striking back. She was commiserating with Chris and responded in a matter of fact way. So were they both brats who hit their fathers? Were they both abused by their fathers? Travis doesn't fit this profile. Maybe the writer is a brat who slapped his parents around. Or maybe the actress still can't show emotion or deliver any lines. In any case the scene was a fail.

Does anyone remember what Travis asked Maddie in there room? She did her usual thing of not saying anything and fiddled in the closet. He surmised that she was upset that they didn't pick up the people in the boat. I was thinking, he must be clairvoyant to connect the pieces on the two separate issues since she wasn't even showing her stank face and never responds to anybody.

so why was the episode titled monster? as in monster a.k.a. zombie? :/

I don't think anybody has been able to make sense of most of this series' titles.

ETA I really need to proofread for clarity. Sorry.

Edited by Iguessnot
  • Love 2

If you're not sure, DVR it for now.  I find I like shows better when I can marathon them.  Then if you don't think it's worth your time, just delete them.

I agree with RedheadZombie, and am actually thinking of doing this one in modified marathon style myself, 2-3 episodes at a time.

I'm certain AMC was counting on TWD fans to flow right into FTWD, but starting this one the week after the finale makes it far too easy to compare the two. Even with the finale kerfuffle, I'm finding it challenging to appreciate this show on its own merits, mostly because TWD is still fresh in my mind and I like it much, much more. That said, I'm sure my dissatisfaction with the Season 6 cliffhanger has also made me less tolerant of Fear's flaws.

Like Redhead Zombie mentioned, Strand and Nick's relationship is fascinating. Strand is an enigma, and I agree Nick has potential to be an interesting, complex character. Daniel, with his creepy past and moral ambiguity, also has potential. And the change of venue gives it a little twist.

Right now, the less appealing/annoying/irritating characters and other aspects of the show are impeding my ability to enjoy the things I do like.

TWD's 2nd season gets a lot of criticism for being slow, nothing happens, soap opera, etc., but I liked it a lot, more than the 3rd (when I started watching) in a lot of ways. I also binge watched the first two seasons and that may have contributed to my enjoyment. Anyway, this is my long-winded way of saying I want to see if doing the same with FTWD will provide a similar result.

Personally, I think it's worth giving it an episode or two before deciding to bail or DVR it and watch in chunks. Others' MMV, of course.

Edited by Sighed I

I am actually liking the season thus far, even with the issues and Maddie (of course). I think that those who have said that Nick could be a future leader is correct. He grabs a yacht log which could give Strand valuable information, like where they were headed, etc... I also think that the person who postulated that we are seeing the beginnings of a group led by a sociopath and their view that they are good. Very interesting take on this. It could make this show very interesting when viewing the mothership on the other side of the country. 

• Love 1

I couldn't find the quotes but there were some comments about Madison "emasculating" Travis, and how Travis doesn't seem destined to be a Rick.  Well ..... I personally have no problem that Madison is the more take charge and tough character, and I don't think that leaves Travis emasculated.  And in one of the promos, I'm pretty sure it was implied that it's Madison that will be the show's "Rick".  I'm fine with it.  I don't hate the character or the actress.  Fifty year old female characters are pretty rare on TV.

Yeah, I was one of those people who made the "emasculating" comment. Maybe I could've chosen my words more carefully, but it's hard to explain.

A big part of the problem for me is I don't feel any chemistry between Travis and Maddie. I have no idea what they see in each other and why they are together. From what we've seen Travis seems to do all the emotional heavy lifting (her bewildering pep talk with Chris about parental assault has me so WTF? it doesn't count for much). I guess I feel like he's contributing a lot more to the relationship than she is and in return he's getting...disdain? Like he's not doing enough or doing the right things. They don't feel like equal partners. And he just keeps plugging along, trying trying trying when I'd really like to see him call her out on her shit now and then.

Most of the first season I felt like Travis was showing more concern for Nick than his own son. No wonder the kid's so whiny. I realize Chris hasn't made it easy, but it seemed like Travis kept pushing aside Chris' needs (telling him to suck it up, be strong, we'll talk later, etc.) in favor of constantly putting out fires running after a freaking junkie. It makes it challenging to respect him.

I agree they're setting up Madison to be this show's Rick. I am totally, 100% in favor of having a middle-aged woman anchor this show (being one myself certainly contributes to that :). But Rick had me from the very first scene and ever since. After 7 episodes, I still can't stand Maddie. I think they're going for stoic with a dark past roiling below the surface, but she just comes across as either blank or looking down at others with barely concealed disapproval.

If they'd cast a better actor, I might feel differently. TWD has shown a strong cast can elevate material even when it's lacking. I've seen Kim Dickens in other, supporting roles and she was competent and believable. From what we've seen so far here, though, she hasn't convinced me she has the chops to carry the show as its lead.

Edited by Sighed I
  • Love 5

Yeah, I was one of those people who made the "emasculating" comment. Maybe I could've chosen my words more carefully, but it's hard to explain.

A big part of the problem for me is I don't feel any chemistry between Travis and Maddie. I have no idea what they see in each other and why they are together. From what we've seen Travis seems to do all the emotional heavy lifting (her bewildering pep talk with Chris about parental assault has me so WTF? it doesn't count for much). I guess I feel like he's contributing a lot more to the relationship than she is and in return he's getting...disdain? Like he's not doing enough or doing the right things. They don't feel like equal partners. And he just keeps plugging along, trying trying trying when I'd really like to see him call her out on her shit now and then.

Most of the first season I felt like Travis was showing more concern for Nick than his own son. No wonder the kid's so whiny. I realize Chris hasn't made it easy, but it seemed like Travis kept pushing aside Chris' needs (telling him to suck it up, be strong, we'll talk later, etc.) in favor of constantly putting out fires running after a freaking junkie. It makes it challenging to respect him.

I agree they're setting up Madison to be this show's Rick. I am totally, 100% in favor of having a middle-aged woman anchor this show (being one myself certainly contributes to that :). But Rick had me from the very first scene and ever since. After 7 episodes, I still can't stand Maddie. I think they're going for stoic with a dark past roiling below the surface, but she just comes across as either blank or looking down at others with barely concealed disapproval.

If they'd cast a better actor, I might feel differently. TWD has shown a strong cast can elevate material even when it's lacking. I've seen Kim Dickens in other, supporting roles and she was competent and believable. From what we've seen so far here, though, she hasn't convinced me she has the chops to carry the show as its lead.

I'm just tired of seeing one note acting. Kim Dickins reminds me of the two actresses on Revolution (Thankfully cancelled, sorry JJ) who played a mother and daughter, the daughter's only facial expression was to raise an eyebrow and the mother's was to purse her lips Mona Lisa style. Didn't matter what the situation was that is what you got. I see that with Kim Dickins. I don't want soap opera theatrics but I do want something more than what we have been given.

• Love 3

I had made up my mind to not watch this season but I think I'm going to take other's suggestions and DVR it.  I just didn't care for most of the characters but maybe they'll soon flesh them out and give them some personality.

I'm just tired of seeing one note acting. Kim Dickins reminds me of the two actresses on Revolution (Thankfully cancelled, sorry JJ) who played a mother and daughter, the daughter's only facial expression was to raise an eyebrow and the mother's was to purse her lips Mona Lisa style. Didn't matter what the situation was that is what you got. I see that with Kim Dickins. I don't want soap opera theatrics but I do want something more than what we have been given.

That is so funny you compare Kim Dickens and Elizabeth Mitchell, given their Lost connection.  (Both lovers of James Ford.  Sawyer had a "type!")

• Love 2

Not to be rude, but, man, wouldn't it be something to see Elizabeth Mirchell in this show? And, to round things out, have Josh Holloway as the husband.

(Again, nothing against the current actors.)

Can't you hear Sawyer? He's survived the island of Lost only to wind up in the middle of the ZA.

I quote: "Son of a bitch!"

Edited by JackONeill
  • Love 4

One thing I think this show (and its predecessor) have ruined is the hope that any good people exist beyond our cast. That guy on the radio Alicia is talking to? Total pirate. I will be surprised beyond words if Jack turns out to be a decent person just looking for help.

• Love 1

Not to be rude, but, man, wouldn't it be something to see Elizabeth Mirchell in this show? And, to round things out, have Josh Holloway as the husband.

(Again, nothing against the current actors.)

Can't you hear Sawyer? He's survived the island of Lost only to wind up in the middle of the ZA.

I quote: "Son of a bitch!"

He's already on a show about an alien apocalypse.

• Love 1

I will be surprised beyond words if Jack turns out to be a decent person just looking for help.

And this is the flaw of both Walking Dead shows, made worse that Carol of the Walking Dead nicely outlined why these shows get dull despite all the zombies. People find stuff, and someone else comes and takes their stuff. It rapidly devolves to people killing each other with baseball bats and making human rib barbeque.

I think the "it's not what I wanted" is a real problem. As a spin-off from TWD, we come in expecting it to either show how we got to TWD or be in the same vein as TWD and this show is neither. We have to approach the show on its own terms to have a chance at enjoying it.

My problem is not "it's not what I wanted" or "it's not TWD." My issue is that it's boring and full of unlikeable characters. I'm still giving it a shot, but I'm also hoping Strand jettisons most of the cast and takes off to find a more interesting bunch.

I really had no expectations. I have no need to compare it to TWD. I just want to be entertained.

• Love 10

I sailed for years and I never saw anyone jump into the ocean that far out to swim. Only a lunatic with no appreciation for how dangerous the ocean is would do something so freaking stupid.

Is it really that dangerous?  I mean what Chris did was dumb because he didn't tell anyone he was doing it.  So it's very possible that the boat could've left him.  However getting back to the real world, if the sea is calm, the boat is anchored and someone's watching out on deck then what's the harm in taking a dip in the ocean.  Other than the very minimal threat of being attacked by sea life, what other dangers am I overlooking?

I am not a swimmer, but shouldn't the salt water hurt like a bitch in the eyes ....

You've never met anyone who's been to the beach?  In any case, I've never noticed any real difference between swimming in salt water versus the pool.  Actually, I take that back.  My eyes have been irritated by swimming in pools with too much chlorine.  

While I didn't think the plane web series was THAT bad (some of the actors worked well for me), wouldn't this have been a better choice for the web series? Obviously a scaled down version...

I'm guessing a plane set is cheaper budget wise so it would probably be a better fit for a web series that's probably not going to bring in as much revenues as a tv series.

And seriously AMC, swimming zombies? Are we going to have water skiers next week? This show is awful

I don't think they were swimming.  Most were floating like dead bodies.  There was one that was floating upright due to having on a life vest but I don't think it was actively controlling it's movement (swimming).  It's just that Chris swam within arm's reach of it (like a dumbass).

The actor who plays the teen girl acts like she is on a CW teen drama.

Ha!  She was just on CW teen drama.  Although, that character could handle herself a lot better in a post apocalyptic world than Alicia.

Hee!  I had to check IMDB to make sure he wasn't Isaiah Mustafa.  Colman Domingo looks and sounds so much like him.

The voice cadence is similar but they really don't look that much alike.

One thing I think this show (and its predecessor) have ruined is the hope that any good people exist beyond our cast. 

Yeah this is the same group that let 2,000 zombies loose on LA just to save two people.  Hell, even before that Nick is stealing morphine from a dying man and the barber's torturing people etc.  Calling the cast "good people" might be a stretch.

• Love 4