Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Monster

• Start Topic

Me: Hey Nick -- I think I spotted drugs on that overturned boat.

Nick: I'm on it.

Hey, what's that zombie doing in the ocean ?
I'm guessing the backstroke.

I'm here all week -- try the veal.

What could have happened to that overturned boat ?  As it appears to be riddled with bullet holes. 

I'm thinking the military probably instead of pirates -- it's still a little early on in the ZA for pirates off the coast of Cali.  Or is it ?

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 11

I am digging for something positive to say. First, I like Strand. Is he on something? How is he staying awake? I hope he has guns on his boat. Second, this show makes me appreciate and love TWD even more.

I sailed for years and I never saw anyone jump into the ocean that far out to swim. Only a lunatic with no appreciation for how dangerous the ocean is would do something so freaking stupid.

ETA: I like Cliff Curtis so I am rooting for Travis.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 9

I am not a swimmer, but shouldn't the salt water hurt like a bitch in the eyes and shouldn't they be concerned about sharks and stuff?  Oh & Thanks Alicia!  :)

I got to ask, the girl that plays Alicia and the guy that plays Nick is British and Travis too. I was wondering if there is a connection to the showrunners or something?

Acid fog! Acid Fog! (Oops, wrong show. ETA. I forgot, there is an actor who actually was on The 100 on this show.)

Strand is right. It's his goddamn boat. Not a democracy. Why is Ruben Salazar's character siding with Madison against Strand? As someone who tortured people during a dirty war shouldn't he appreciate what Strand is doing?

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 7

Well, I like the premise. I'm not sure they'll be on the boat for long, but I like a different take than "on the road". Still, the teen angst is killing me. All three of them. And I know Chris just lost his mom, but I'm begining to remeber from last season, he annoyed me hen too. The addict may have an actual sense of preservation,or at least slightly more developed than the other two.

Out of the adults, Strand is the ONE. Also Ruben Blades.

Shit, wasn't his daughter with them too? I didn't notice her, did she even speak a line?

• Love 2

I'm still reluctant to watch after they killed off Chris' mother last season. She was the only character I really connected with, and I just knew they were going to kill her, because she obviously wasn't a "main" character, but it still pissed me off. It's the type of thing I always disliked in TWD's first seasons, and this show doesn't have anywhere near the strong main characters that one did. 

I guess I will try tomorrow or the next day.

• Love 4

Well, I actually do think this was a better episode than most of the episodes last season, but there is a lot of room for improvement.

The kids are supremely annoying -- no way around it.

• Love 3

I appreciate the lead actress committing to that one primary facial expression. And the low bar they set means it could get good easily.

Weren't we supposed to learn what happened after last week's conclusion of the plane story? Or is this another unattended, delayed cliffhanger resolution?

• Love 9

Well....at least I didn't hate the ep...Really appreciating Colman Domingo as Strand. I remember how great he was several years ago on the Logo series "The Big Gay Sketch Show." Had no idea he had such acting chops until FTWD.

• Love 1

Yup. Strand and Daniel...still the only characters I find remotely interesting.

But hey...at least we get pirates this season! :D

Alicia is an idiot for talking to that guy on the radio. She may give up her position.

• Love 2

I appreciate the lead actress committing to that one primary facial expression. And the low bar they set means it could get good easily.

Weren't we supposed to learn what happened after last week's conclusion of the plane story? Or is this another unattended, delayed cliffhanger resolution?

Yessiree. The Maddy character is the worst, acting, writing, persona, body language, all of it.

Cliff Curtis seems absolutely embarrassed on Talking Dead.

• Love 9

The producer guy on TTD says the fire we saw on shore was the military bombing of LA. Stop telling us about all the more interesting things you aren't going to show us. It wasn't endearing last season either.

While I didn't think the plane web series was THAT bad (some of the actors worked well for me), wouldn't this have been a better choice for the web series? Obviously a scaled down version...

• Love 1

The producer guy on TTD says the fire we saw on shore was the military bombing of LA. Stop telling us about all the more interesting things you aren't going to show us. It wasn't endearing last season either.

I did see planes flying over the water. Why didn't they discuss this on the episode?

• Love 1

Well, I sure wouldn't want to be Strand-ed with that crew on a boat! Isn't the older guy a barber? He needs to clip the boys' hair before they turn into Daryls. And I know it's a shallow dating pool at the end of the world, but I think Alicia just swiped right on the S.S.Negan.

• Love 20

I'd set the bar so low, Chris' angst and Alicia's dumbassery (Hello, Stranger Danger!) aside, it was better than I expected. Strand and Nick's relationship is interesting; I think Nick is the only one he remotely trusts, which is kind of funny, but I see a certain logic to it.

On Talking Dead, Hozier made a good observation. Out in the ocean, you're screwed if someone refuses to help. We see that on TWD, but on land there's more opportunity to get out of tight situations. It's easier to rationalize "maybe they got away". On water, it forces you to confront you are condemning someone to die.

Also, on land I'd be more inclined to help someone because supplies are more available. Here, I agreed with Strand and Travis. They can't risk it. Maybe once they get their own bearings and are in a more secure situation they can consider selectively helping others. With everything so uncertain right now? No way. Feels uncomfortably cold blooded, but that's the reality here.

Edited by Sighed I
  • Love 9

I switched back and forth between this and "Making of a President" on CNN, which was much better. I really wish could like this,but..

I kept rooting for the zombies. If they would just eat everyone, women and children first,maybe they could bring in someone I didn't hate. And seriously AMC, swimming zombies? Are we going to have water skiers next week? This show is awful

• Love 6

Well, I sure wouldn't want to be Strand-ed with that crew on a boat! Isn't the older guy a barber? He needs to clip the boys' hair before they turn into Daryls. And I know it's a shallow dating pool at the end of the world, but I think Alicia just swiped right on the S.S.Negan.

My gosh, you're right about Daniel being a barber, I'd forgotten. Between Jessie on the Walking Dead and Daniel on Fear, these shows have not been using their resources very well, as witness Daryl and Nick. It is becoming a theme, lol.

And what about that Norman Rockwell 'almost' a family dinner scene. Really???? How realistic in the face of PTSD, physical injuries, recent bereavement....they all seemed so enthusiastic about that lovely eel spread,

• Love 5

First episode of the season and I have had enough of the two teens already throw them over board please! Nick and Strand are the only reason I am watching. Nick might have substance abuse issues but he is the only one that seems to also have any common sense. Glad he grabbed the boat log.

• Love 7

I am not a swimmer, but shouldn't the salt water hurt like a bitch in the eyes and shouldn't they be concerned about sharks and stuff?  Oh & Thanks Alicia!  :)

I got to ask, the girl that plays Alicia and the guy that plays Nick is British and Travis too. I was wondering if there is a connection to the showrunners or something?

Except Travis isn't British - he's from New Zealand.  Big difference.

I actually enjoyed this episode, and am looking forward to the rest of the season.

• Love 4

All I know is if Strand dies, we riot.

I'm just gonna go ahead and say it. My people don't tend to fare well when we go rescuing white folks. They are already messing with Strand's simple boat rules. Madison wants to pick up strays, angsty teen is giving up the boats coordinates. I don't have a lot of hope for my man Strand.

• Love 22

I actually enjoyed this episode, and am looking forward to the rest of the season.

Ah yes. I lived in Australia for a while and I can't "hear" the difference anymore unless it is really pronounced. 

And Alycia Debnam-Carey -- the actress who plays Alicia -- is Australian.  Also a big difference.

• Love 1

I want to know why aren't they taking sleep a little more seriously. Now is the time, because once they get back on land sleep will be hard to come by. Seriously, people, get your winks.

While I definitely want more action, I also want to get to know these characters better. Daniel is a mystery and is also handling all of this so calmly. He is taking the same approach as Nick, it seems.

Strand is really all about himself but then again, I think that is and has always been his mo. He is using these people until he can trade up. His character is really interesting so far.

Chris is a mess but can't blame him. He did just lose his mom. I thought he seemed suicidal when he jumped in the water after watching the "family dinner" scene. It makes me wonder if he has always felt like an outsider in his dad's new family.

Maddy is odd. One moment she wants to save a boat full of people and the next she is really cold and like walls go up or something.

Other than the moment where he agreed with with Strand regarding the boat, Travis seems like his witts are not with him.

Edited by MissScarlett
  • Love 8

I actually kind of liked this episode.  Still hate Maddie, though.  Haaaaate.  She had that same little smile over Liza's dead body that she did last season.  Alicia is an idiot, yet that was very believable to me.  WTG, Alicia.  I am SO Team Strand.  Geez, have any of them even said thank you?  Jackasses.

Unpopular opinion probably, but I'll give Chris a little love.  I feel the same way I did last season. Everyone around him is so incredibly selfish.  Maybe he can join up with the pirates and get a new start.  Everyone but Travis acted like burying Liza was some big imposition out of their day of doing absolutely nothing. 

• Love 8

And what about that Norman Rockwell 'almost' a family dinner scene. Really???? How realistic in the face of PTSD, physical injuries, recent bereavement....they all seemed so enthusiastic about that lovely eel spread,

Yes. That scene was jarringly out of place. It was like they took a segment from a different episode and plopped it in there.

• Love 2

But hey...at least we get pirates this season! :D

Is it too much to hope for pirate zombies? pirate ninja zombies?

At this point, I am rooting for Strand, Travis and the old man. They seem to be the smartest of the bunch.

I dunno about Travis. Wasn't he the one who told Alicia to listen to the radio? I know he was just trying to get rid of her so she won't go on and on about saving random people but it ended up causing more problems. And it didn't stop her impulse of wanting to rescue random strangers... who are probably pirates in disguise.

I kinda like Nick as comic relief. Somehow his hair looks even worse this season plus he's still wearing the old man jacket-- now splattered with blood! b/c that's ZA fashion. He also gets cool points for the boat motor zombie kill-- which was at least something I haven't seen yet.

Thank god they dumped the corpse. For a while, I thought we were in for a ZA version of As I Lay Dying.

• Love 5