Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

Back in the 1980s, Robert Clary came to speak at my high school.  He used to do a lot of talks at elementry schools and high schools because the son of one of his neighbors was curious about his tattoo but didn't have much of a clue about the Holocaust, so he started doing school events to educate kids about what happened.  He said the first question he pretty much always got at those speaking engagements was about how could he do Hogan's Heros after being in a concentration camp.

• Love 12

Sad news about Robert Clary, I also remember him from his years on The Young and the Restless and the movie The Hindenburg. I'm happy Mr. Clary enjoyed a long life after the hell he went through. That he, a concentration camp survivor, outlived the entire original* main cast of Hogan's Heroes seems fitting somehow. R.I.P. Monsieur Clary.

*Just learned actor Kenneth Washington, who replaced Ivan Dixon in the final season of Hogan’s Heroes, is still alive.

The Bell family, The Young and the Restless, and The Bold and the Beautiful paid tribute on Twitter:

Tribute to Robert Clary from the U.S. Holocaust Museum:

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 10
10 hours ago, Calvada said:

He lost his parents and 10 siblings in the Holocaust.  Three siblings survived.  Living to 96 when by all odds he shouldn't have made it to 20 - what a strong person he was to make it through such hell.   

Yes!  In today's world, if someone takes their M&Ms, they're driven to open up an Uzi in the school cafeteria.  This man faced unspeakable horror and tragedy, and what did he do?  He coped, and became a delightful entertainer, for others.

Amazing how much a couple of generations can devolve.

• Sad 5
  • Applause 4
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, roamyn said:

Nikki Aycox has died at age 47.

Too damn young.

I "know" her as Lilly's unbearably annoying sister on Cold Case, where every time her name popped up in the guest starring credits I groaned aloud because I hated the character so very much.  (I saw her in The X-Files, too, but, unfortunately, that's the role I associate her with.)  But my issue was with the writing far more the acting, and even if I thought she sucked at it, I'd find this terribly sad.  Not even reaching 50 is terrible.

Edited by Bastet
  • Useful 2
19 hours ago, roamyn said:

Nikki Aycox has died at age 47.  She was in alot more than Supernatural.

I know very little about Supernatural. But I was a fan of NBC's Ed, where Aycox played Carol Vessey's college-age younger sister, whom Warren Cheswick, Justin Long's character, was infatuated with, and when the two start to date, she's uncomfortable with how young and immature Warren is (he's still in high school).

So when I read the news of her death this morning, I was like, "No, not Carol's sister! She's too young to go."

Ed will never be released on disc because it's owned by Paramount, which is famous for refusing to pay for expensive songs that were originally featured on sitcoms and hour-long dramas it owns, so it replaces those songs with generic ones (see also Daria on Paramount+ and Keen Eddie). Ed used a ton of expensive songs. Fortunately, I once grabbed (via a YouTube downloader) bootlegs of every entire Ed episode off YouTube, including the ones featuring Aycox, so I can rewatch Ed anytime, even though the audio during many of Ed's music montages was removed from the bootlegs due to music rights issues.

Edited by MusubiMyHomie
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Sorry about John Aniston's passing. I always liked Victor on Days of Our Lives. Sorry for Jennifer too. It's never easy losing a parent.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/john-aniston-dead-days-of-our-lives-star-jennifer-aniston-father-1235261307/amp/

“I told her you don’t want to be in show business, show business stinks,” he recalled. “I tell everybody who wants to be an actor, ‘Don’t be an actor, be something else.’ Because if my telling them to stay out of show business is going to keep them out, they shouldn’t be in it in the first place.

💖

• Sad 1
  • Love 2

What horrible news to wake up to.  

Fame is one of my all-time favorite movies, and the sweet not-quite romance of Coco and Bruno is a reason why.  Such a tremendous star-making performance by Irene!  Steely and single-minded yet touchingly vulnerable.  Aw, damn.

”I may not win, but I can’t be thrown/Out here on my own…”.   My heart goes out to her loved ones.

• Sad 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 12

I sure wasn't expecting Miss Cara's demise! I first recall her in the first season of The Electric Company (1971-1978) when she as a member of the show's  teen pop singing group The Short Circus (get it?). Usually they'd sing songs and dance but occasionally do wisecracks with the adult cast members (though rarely in the first season) all to help us kid viewers be encouraged to read and, after Miss Cara left, they'd participate in the comedy sketches. FWIW, her character's name was 'Iris' but I can't recall a single time anyone called her that. 

I wonder if Melanie Henderson ('Kathy'), June Angela ('Julie') the other Short Circus members still somewhat active in the entertainment industry will pay any tributes to her . .if not the more famous adult alums Rita Moreno ('Carmela', 'Millie',etc.) or Morgan Freeman ('Mark','Easy Reader',etc.) ?

Regardless, I think it needs to be said that she and the others gave  many of us then kids a boost in becoming literate via entertaining us so for that I give my kudos for her and the rest of the cast . Let me add that the tween and teen Short Circus members not only had to put in a full day of taping the shows but then would have to transport themselves [often by subway!] to a recording studio thereafter to sing the songs for the next day's show which they'd lip synch on the air- ALL after their regular school days. RIP, Miss Cara and thank you for your hard work back then for us kids!

Edited by Blergh
  • Applause 1
  • Love 9

I am so sad about Irene Cara. What a Feeling may be the only song she's known for but what a song.

I just heard it the other day on some internet radio station and it immediately gave me a memory that made me smile. My late Aunt and I driving around the Twin Cities, shopping and running errands...KS95 on her radio when this song came on...I had heard it numerous times before. I liked the song but seeing my Aunt's face light up when it came on..the volume would go up and her voice would belt out every word. The best part was that instrumental with the drum machine and bass..That's when my 50 year old Aunt would actually do a bit of head banging and drum solo on the steering wheel...

It still remains one of my favorite memories of all of the 80's. Irene gave me that and I deeply grateful...So, I shall post MY favorite Irene song that hardly anyone recalls but me....

• Love 15

Oh, so sad about Irene Cara.  I know she is most widely known for Fame and her singing for Flashdance, but my first exposure to her was as Sparkle in the movie Sparkle.  Black folks of a certain age saw all the black movies back in the day, and Sparkle was a BIG one. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 10

LOVED all of her dance tracks, but the Fame ballad Out Here On My Own has never failed to touch my heart and make me tear up - even more so now. #RIP Irene Cara - let that rising star guide you far and shine you home. 😭😭😭😭😭

• Love 10

I remember that one of my sisters loved Fame and would always sing all its songs. This sister looks a lot like Irene Cara and back then wanted to be a dancer. I am unsure if this had something to do with her loving the actress/singer and movie. Now and again, I would look Irene Cara up to see what became of her. RIP.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, stonehaven said:

I am so sad about Irene Cara. What a Feeling may be the only song she's known for but what a song.

Oh, she is also known for the song Fame. I remember my mom having the 45! Irene Cara was so talented and what a voice she was blessed with!

And 63 is just too young. May she rest in peace. In a way, she will live forever, through her music and through Coco in Fame, the movie.

• Love 10

I always thought Irene Cara should have been a much bigger star than she was, but didn't know if that was her choice to pull back or the industry. The Washington Post obituary explains how she was screwed by predatory management. 

In 1985, she opened a legal action seeking $10 million from a record company executive, Al Coury, claiming he took advantage of her trust with “unjust and oppressive” contracts for movie and recording deals that cut her out of significant royalty income.

Ms. Cara originally signed a six-year recording deal in 1980 with RSO Records Inc. when Coury was its president. He left in early 1981 to form his own company, Network Records Inc., and persuaded Ms. Cara to give him exclusive control over her career. What happened next became a combination of flawed management, bad choices and Ms. Cara’s inability to recapture the magic of her two hit projects.

....By the early 1990s, she was a celebrity footnote and a trivia question. “Remember Irene Cara?” wrote syndicated gossip columnist Liz Smith in a 1993 column that claimed Ms. Cara earned just $183 in royalties in her four years under Coury.

Earlier that year, a Los Angeles jury awarded her $1.5 million in her suit against Coury.

“It took me eight years to get through the whole good ol’ boy network in the music industry,” she said in a 2018 interview with the music site Songwriter Universe, “because it seemed that I sued one man and it just kind of spiraled into the entire industry turning against me because of it. So it turned me off to the music business entirely.”

• Sad 14
19 hours ago, Fool to cry said:

I think 95 percent of why I like the 1983 Joel Schumacher directed comedy DC Cab with Mr. T, Adam Baldwin, Gary Busey, and others is that Irene Cara song "Dream". I love it so much. RIP

Loved that song as well....another moderate track (#13) that I really liked was Why Me.  And Out Here On My Own will always be a tearjerker classic.

She wasn't a bad actress either, working with legends like Diahann Carroll and Rosalind Cash in Sister, Sister.  Of course Sparkle will always have a special place in my heart.

63 is too young....rest well, sweet lady.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Actor Clarence Gilyard, Jr. who starred in Walker, Texas Ranger, Matlock, and Die Hard has died, age 66.

Imagine my surprise when I found out this morning that he was a drama teacher at my alma mater!!!  Had no clue!!  

• Mind Blown 2
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Actor Clarence Gilyard, Jr. who starred in Walker, Texas Ranger, Matlock, and Die Hard has died, age 66.

I didn't recognize the name, but as soon as I saw his picture I recognized the "What do you mean, it doesn't look good, it doesn't get to look any better than that" guy from Top Gun.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, Crashcourse said:

Nooooooo!!!  That is so sad.

I know Stevie Nicks got most of the coverage, but I thought Christine McVie's voice was so much better.  So smooth.  

I'll second that"Noooooo!!!" "Say You Love Me" and "You Make Lovin' Fun" are two of my favorite songs ever.

• Love 14

I'm so gutted...Fleetwood Mac is one of the first bands that both the husband and I shared our admiration for.  Bare Trees is one of the most sublime rock albums ever made.  Christine's soulful and yes smooth vocals are just so beautiful.  It's always her songs and vocals I gravitated to...you knew when she sang the pain and love and sadness and joy was all there combined in one voice.   

Need to dig out Tusk and play Honey Hi about a dozen times.

Now I'm gonna have to put Songbird on and be sad all day.

OMG yes...

Edited by CherryMalotte
  • Love 10