Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

(edited)

From what I've read his wife believed him dead since he is terminally ill and dying--i wonder if he seemed nonresponsive?--so she reported him dead. In the meantime while that was being reported, medical personnel were able to confirm he was in fact still alive. I don't really think anything sinister is going on from her or that there is any lack of journalistic due diligence since the news came straight from his wife via his own publicist. They've apparently been married for over 40 years. I imagine he is barely hanging on and she is under a lot of stress. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 16
14 minutes ago, chediavolo said:

It’s one thing for reporters or outsiders to jump the gun but his wife said he was dead when he wasn’t?! Or is this the wrong information also? How strange. 

I'm guessing she was misunderstood. 
Sometimes people emotionally declare that someone is dead when what they mean is that the person is not ever again going to regain consciousness.

• Like 1
  • Love 9
(edited)
3 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I'm guessing she was misunderstood. 
Sometimes people emotionally declare that someone is dead when what they mean is that the person is not ever again going to regain consciousness.

I think it's also possible his vital signs are so low that he may appear to be dead, especially to someone who is panicking. I honestly feel really bad for his wife. 

Edited by Zella
  • Sad 10

This was from Tony Dow's Facebook page 5 hours ago:

"URGENT UPDATE:

This morning Tony's wife Lauren, who was very distraught, had notified us that Tony had passed and asked that we notify all his fans. As we are sure you can understand, this has been a very trying time for her. We have since received a call from Tony's daughter-in-law saying that while Tony is not doing well, he has not yet passed. Tony's son Christopher and his daughter-in-law Melissa have also been by his side comforting him, and we will keep you posted on any future updates."

From his son 4 hours ago:

"An Update from Christopher Dow:

This is a difficult time. Dad is at home, under hospice care, and in his last hours. My wife and I are by his side along with many friends that have visited. He has a fighting heart."

For whatever happened, you have people who love him very much, very distraught.  It's an incredibly difficult time for loved ones.  People can make mistakes and I give them a lot of leeway when they're going through such a hard time.

• Sad 14
  • Thanks 3

Whatever state may be in at this time, I hope he knows that he's made generations of folks very happy over the years (and it was by no means just the scripts he memorized).  Good that his son has been understanding of Mr. Dow's wife's distress and seems willing to give her the benefit of the doubt that she had the best intentions.

BTW, in the early 1970's, there was a rumor that his co-star Jerry Mathers had died in the Vietnam War but even though Mr. Mathers DID serve in the Air Force during that conflict, this proved to be false.

• Love 7
(edited)
3 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Remember when reporting used to CHECK sources?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.  As someone who works in the media, it sickens me that they just parrot what other outlets release.

Still, I'm very sorry to hear about Tony Dow as for a generation he was the big brother we wish we had.

Edited by magicdog
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 13

??

Pepperidge Farm Remembers is a meme whose picture originated from a joke made within the show “Family Guy”. Within the joke, the old man reminisces about old times and follows all his memories with the catchphrase, “Pepperidge Farm Remembers”.

Well, that's what the internet says, I'm not a fan of Family Guy at all, so hope it's accurate.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

It comes from a commercial for Pepperidge Farms, wherein "old-timers" reminisce about simpler times and food, with the catch phrase "Pepperidge Farm remembers." I don't remember the exact PF product. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Applause 4
  • Love 6
16 minutes ago, Superclam said:

It comes from a commercial for Pepperidge Farms, wherein "old-timers" reminisce about simpler times and food, with the catch phrase "Pepperidge Farm remembers." I don't remember the exact PF product. 

There were a whole series of commercials narrated by a guy in a straw boater with that tag line for Pepperidge Farm in general.  The idea being that they used tried and true recipes and simple ingredients and that's what made their products so good.  The guy was sort of the Orville Reddenbacher of baked goods.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?&q=pepperidge+farm+remembers&view=detail&mid=5599A3C6FB8CBD074D3C5599A3C6FB8CBD074D3C&form=VDQVAP&rvsmid=6387B7A80A544D8BE4306387B7A80A544D8BE430&ajaxhist=0

• Thanks 3
  • Love 7
13 hours ago, Zella said:

I think it's also possible his vital signs are so low that he may appear to be dead, especially to someone who is panicking. I honestly feel really bad for his wife. 

It really is sad. I know when my father was in hospice he stopped breathing and we called the nurse in. She took his pulse etc. and said "he's gone". My mom was out of the room, when she walked back in my dad started breathing again. Even the nurse was shocked. Of course we lost him finally a few hours later but these things do happen. Just feel bad for the family.

• Hugs 2
  • Sad 12
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, jah1986 said:

It really is sad. I know when my father was in hospice he stopped breathing and we called the nurse in. She took his pulse etc. and said "he's gone". My mom was out of the room, when she walked back in my dad started breathing again. Even the nurse was shocked. Of course we lost him finally a few hours later but these things do happen. Just feel bad for the family.

Similar thing happened as my DH was passing. I was there alone with him when he stopped breathing.  I put my arms around him for one last hug and he started breathing again. He was gone a few hours later but that last hug was kind of magical and I'll never forget it.

I too feel sorry for that family.

• Hugs 19
  • Sad 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Bernard Cribbins, star of Doctor Who and Jackanory, dies aged 93.

The actor, comedian and singer had a career spanning eight decades from Fawlty Towers to hit single Right Said Fred.

Oh, this one hurts. I had no idea he was that old. I only really know him from Doctor Who but he was one of my favorites ever from that show. 

I have Fawlty Towers on my list of things to watch but just haven't gotten around to it yet. 

• Sad 2
  • Love 2
(edited)

Still another one.

Actor Mary Alice who won an Emmy for I'll Fly Away and Tony for Fences and known for roles in A Different World, The Matrix Revolutions and Sparkle has died. Per Deadline, her age has been variously reported as 80, 84 and 86.

R.I.P. Ms. Alice.

https://deadline.com/2022/07/mary-alice-dies-a-different-world-ma trix-revolutions-actor-won-tony-award-for-fences-1235080026/

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/mary-alice-dead-fences-sparkle-matrix-revolutions-1235188315/

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/mary-alice-dead-a-different-world-1235328420/

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Sad 15
23 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Still another one.

Actor Mary Alice who won an Emmy for I'll Fly Away and Tony for Fences and known for roles in A Different World, The Matrix Revolutions and Sparkle has died. Per Deadline, her age has been variously reported as 80, 84 and 86.

R.I.P. Ms. Alice.

https://deadline.com/2022/07/mary-alice-dies-a-different-world-ma trix-revolutions-actor-won-tony-award-for-fences-1235080026/

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/mary-alice-dead-fences-sparkle-matrix-revolutions-1235188315/

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/mary-alice-dead-a-different-world-1235328420/

Damn!  I'll think of you whenever I use my 'Lettie Be Ready' date pack....ADW viewers know what I'm talking about.

Rest in power, Ms. Smith (her last name).

• Sad 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, MissAlmond said:

Burt Metcalfe who started as an actor before turning to the behind the camera side of the business has died, age 87. Mr. Metcalfe served as producer, director, and writer on all 11 seasons of M*A*S*H. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/burt-metcalfe-dead-mash-1235189292/

Burt Metcalfe, Larry Gelbart, Gene Reynolds - the main creative forces behind my all-time favorite show - all of them gone now. I hope they're all hanging out together in the afterlife, swilling gin in a Swamp-like setting.

• Love 7

Damn!  I'll think of you whenever I use my 'Lettie Be Ready' date pack....ADW viewers know what I'm talking about.

I posted that episode (along with her intro episode) in the ADW forum...

The passing of a generation of movie gangsters.

All five of these actors – Caan, Liotta, Sorvino, Herman, and Sirico — were still robust and working at the start of this year. Now, in the space of just a few months, they're gone — which is perhaps unsurprising in actuarial terms, but still comes as a shock. We tend to freeze actors in the roles we best remember. Caan, for instance, was in his early 30s — young and vital — when he made The Godfather.

But it's now a half-century later. Liotta was in his 30s, Sorvino, Sirico and Herman were in their 40s and 50s when GoodFellas premiered and that's 32 years ago. We remember them all at their peak, which makes their loss feel like the passing of a generation.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
(edited)
On 7/30/2022 at 12:50 AM, Vermicious Knid said:

You think that's bad? I'm old enough to recall adult silent movie performers and WWI vets still  being around in my early teens- now it's tough to find Golden Age movie performers or WWII vets or even Korean War ones!And I wouldn't be surprised if Generation Z folks may find it tough to recall any performers who had had careers before streaming.

Edited by Blergh
  • Hugs 4
9 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

Meanwhile as a little black girl who liked science fiction, watching tv in the 70s and 80s when Star Trek TOS was shown in reruns, Nichelle's Nichols' impact can not be overstated for me.  It was a HUGE thing to see her there on tv as a main character in a SF show and important part of it.

Whoopi Goldberg always credited Nichelle with inspiring her as a girl to use her talents to the fullest. As she said, Uhura was smart and beautiful and proof that powerful black women would make it into the future.

• Like 1
  • Love 22