Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

(Smashes glass, holds to 2022's neck)....one more 'gin, motherfucker.  Just one..more..'gin!!

Damn.  Always had a crush on HH, especially as Ann's husband Sam Royer on One Day at a Time.

Rest well, sir.

(Flips bird to 2022)

Edited by Yogisbooboo64
  • Love 13
4 hours ago, magicdog said:

Not to mention his character as "Mr. Moore" on Head of the Class (original version).  RIP

Or Mr. Hessman's turn as The Chief in Clue.  R.I.P., you beatnik.

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 15
8 hours ago, Rose Quartz said:

Man, this is another one that hurts.  Johnny was my favorite character on WKRP.  I really liked his friendship with Venus since they were total opposites and I always wished that he and Bailey would've gotten together because they were a cute couple. 

As I've gotten older I've appreciated the BOOGER scene more and more.  It starts out with Andy telling Johnny he can play rock and roll again but Johnny declines because he thinks he's too old.  Andy says he has confidence in Johnny and after some hesitation Johnny takes on the Dr. Fever persona. It's a nicely done bit about not being afraid to reach for your dreams, and I love that by the final episode Johnny is the #1 morning DJ in the entire city.  RIP.

And let's not forget that Dr Fever proved to be the Conquering Hero of KRP when, upon hearing the news that Mama Carlson decided to DUMP the format, Johnny decided he had nothing to lose but to get drunk and  confront her. She seemed as though she was about to sweep him away like table crumbs  but then, she overplayed her hand by admitting that the WHOLE point of WKRP's existence was to have it LOSE money so her own portfolio could GAIN extra via taxes (and her hapless son Arthur 'Big Guy' Carlson had had no idea that he was nothing but a chess pawn in her scheme- thinking that she'd wanted him to succeed). Well, Johnny caught on EXACTLY what her game was and let her know in no uncertain terms that if she didn't leave WKRP 'as was', he'd  let Mr. Carlson know that she'd depended on him being a failure for her to increase her fortunes his entire life. So Johnny got to stay #1 DJ AND WKRP's Unknown Savior in the final episode.

Anyway, Mr. Hesseman definitely gave more depth and appeal to the character than the scripts had mandated. RIP, Mr. Hessman!

• Love 15
35 minutes ago, Blergh said:

And let's not forget that Dr Fever proved to be the Conquering Hero of KRP when, upon hearing the news that Mama Carlson decided to DUMP the format, Johnny decided he had nothing to lose but to get drunk and  confront her. She seemed as though she was about to sweep him away like table crumbs  but then, she overplayed her hand by admitting that the WHOLE point of WKRP's existence was to have it LOSE money so her own portfolio could GAIN extra via taxes (and her hapless son Arthur 'Big Guy' Carlson had had no idea that he was nothing but a chess pawn in her scheme- thinking that she'd wanted him to succeed). Well, Johnny caught on EXACTLY what her game was and let her know in no uncertain terms that if she didn't leave WKRP 'as was', he'd  let Mr. Carlson know that she'd depended on him being a failure for her to increase her fortunes his entire life. So Johnny got to stay #1 DJ AND WKRP's Unknown Savior in the final episode.

Anyway, Mr. Hesseman definitely gave more depth and appeal to the character than the scripts had mandated. RIP, Mr. Hessman!

My two favorite episodes are the pilot with the booger scene and the final episode where Johnny saves the station as you described.  It’s rare for a show to maintain its quality over its entire run and Howard Hesseman definitely contributed to that.

• Love 8

I just remembered Hesseman being in CLUE!

The_Chief_-_Edited-1.png.198f4dcd8cb52ab16cc71d4e96637be7.png

Johnny also saved the day when that sleazy photographer was going to sell nude pictures he took of Jennifer. They tried everything from having both Jennifer, then Herb(!) seduce him but nothing worked. Johnny comes up with "The Sting" where he and Bailey pretend to be high class agents from New York offering to give him a job working for the big time magazines like Playboy or Penthouse if he gave them the photos. At least that's what I think the plan was, I don't remember. The pretend soap opera bickering Johnny and Bailey do is great.

MV5BNzA3MTQ2NTMtZGE0YS00NzY2LTg1MjMtODc1MWZmNjIwMDlmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjIwNjgzNzg@._V1_.jpg.c677b86dad95a0e7b717e67a1c312018.jpg

Edited by Fool to cry
  • Love 9

I have nothing to say about Howard Hesseman. So many actors who enriched my youth have died in the last few years that I've run out of ways to express the grief.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 5
On 1/30/2022 at 3:09 PM, Calvada said:

So sad about Howard Hesseman.  I loved WKRP and the character of Johnny Fever.  After Frank Bonner's death last year, I thought I should do a re-watch of WKRP but now I definitely have to do so. 

Rubaco, one of my favorite Johnny Fever moments is his rant about the phone cops -- "They see everything, they know everything, they have their own covert police force!" and JOHNNY (thinking the explosion at the transmitter was done by the phone cops because he smashed a telephone to bits):  "These phone cops play hardball."  ANDY:  I don't know how to tell you this, but there is no such thing as phone cops."  JOHNNY:  "Oh sure, cover for them."   ANDY:  "The real cops caught the maniac who did it."  JOHNNY:  "The real cops are in on it." 

Anyone old enough to remember "the" phone company, prior to the breakup of the Bell system, had to find that hilarious.  

OMG - I love the phone cops story line.  

Below are the relevant scenes from the 2 part episode.  Sorry for the quality.

WKRP - every member of the cast was talented.  And the show held it's quality through all 5 seasons.  22 episodes a year.

Edited by Macbeth
  • Love 8

Lata (as she was always called) lived a most incredible life overcoming amazing odds. Not the least of which included having started her literal background singing career in Indian movies at the age of 13 to support her widowed mother and younger sibs- and somehow having her voice be so popular among hundreds of others so she was able to have  very prolific career until very late in life! RIP, Miss Lata.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, Blergh said:

Lata (as she was always called) lived a most incredible life overcoming amazing odds. Not the least of which included having started her literal background singing career in Indian movies at the age of 13 to support her widowed mother and younger sibs- and somehow having her voice be so popular among hundreds of others so she was able to have  very prolific career until very late in life! RIP, Miss Lata.

So very true. It's impossible to provide top 10 or even top 5 favorite songs. Her songs, her duets with the late great Kishore Kumar, Mohd. Rafi? Impossible for me to list.

She sang for nearly 80 years. Hearing her live? NEVER failed to give me chills. Especially when she would end each concert with Aye Mere Watan Ke Logo, which is a patriotic song, in support of our troops. I got to see her when I was wee, a tween, a teen, and as an adult, when she toured the United States. The last time was in 1995, and she was in her 60s.

And now only Asha Bhosle, her baby sister is left. Asha has a different style, but she's just as talented and I think Asha is the only one who won a Grammy.

But Lata Di? THE BEST. There will never be another one like her.

ETA: Lata Di and Asha didn't do a lot of duets, but the below from Padosan (Neighbor)(1968) is one of my favorites. The song starts with lyrics sung by Lata (lip synched by Saira Banu), then followed by Asha.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Useful 5

Stephanie Selby, the subject of the 1976 photo essay book A Very Young Dancer by Jill Krementz, has died at age 56.

How incredibly sad. I love A Very Young Dancer, and while I learned from a 2011 New York Times article that she had kind of a hard time after the book's publication, I knew Ms. Selby was living happily and quietly in Wyoming. May she rest in peace.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
13 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Wow. That's freaky. So weird how the head can be so tough and yet so fragile. 

I hope the authorities thoroughly investigated whether there was any chance that Mr. Saget truly was alone when he allegedly slipped and hit his head- and ruled out the possibility that anyone else might have pushed him. BTW, could he have been wearing  socks or bedroom slippers that might have been too slick for the hotel room floor and  was there any kind of rug or carpet? Regardless, one can't be   cavalier about one's head or neck! 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 4