Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

(edited)
6 hours ago, HoboClayton said:

Rolling Stone is reporting that the police are investigating this as a possible suicide.  They played Detroit last night, was set to play Columbus tomorrow night. 

Yep.  It appears that it has been officially ruled a suicide (though more investigation has to take place, of course).

I am listening to Eddie Trunk on Sirius-XM, and one person called in to say that Soundgarden apparently ended their set at exactly 11:15 p.m. last night.  Chris was supposedly found not long after midnight (I think I have that info correct).  That is not much time.   That cannot have been a spur of the moment decision for Chris -- to take his own life immediately after the concert -- so it must have been planned ahead of time, or he must have been in agony a long time, and it finally reached the point of no return.

Why, Chris, why? 

There are so many people struggling, internally, and we never know what is torturing them.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 6

I had a difficult childhood, and I contemplated suicide at about 18, but to get to 52 with a family and good, creative career and to still think that's the only way out of a hard time? It's very sad. Strangely, I have had one of Audioslave's songs stuck in my head for a couple of days before today.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, festivus said:

Whoa. I'm truly shocked by this, he's not one I would have expected to go young. 

Me too :(. Been listening to a lot of Soundgarden and Audioslave today. RIP sir and thanks.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, HoboClayton said:

Rolling Stone is reporting that the police are investigating this as a possible suicide.  They played Detroit last night, was set to play Columbus tomorrow night. 

Multiple media sources are saying Chris Cornell's death was suicide by hanging.

24 minutes ago, Aquarius said:

I've heard some really nasty unsympathetic reactions to suicide, but having been there and looked into its face, and only having backed away because I did not know for sure what would happen to me after death . . . in essence, my cowardice kept me from completing the act . . . I can never ever judge.  Whatever pain makes a person take that step, I can only imagine how bad that pain must be, to choose that.

I loved you, Chris Cornell.  I hope you found the peace you were looking for.  Thank you for everything.

Ditto.

It was Chris Cornell and the rest of Soundgarden and Temple of the Dog (along with a few more of my favorite musicians) while in high school and later that gave me a life line. I struggle with depression until this day. So seeing certain responses concerning depression and suicide really saddens me.

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

Ditto.

It was Chris Cornell and the rest of Soundgarden and Temple of the Dog (along with a few more of my favorite musicians) while in high school and later that gave me a life line. I struggle with depression until this day. So seeing certain responses concerning depression and suicide really saddens me.

Yes, I was older than that but in a bad place when I discovered Soundgarden and Alice In Chains and Sonic Youth and the rest of it.  There was catharsis there.

Kurt Cobain's suicide shook me but by then I could be a little bit analytical.  I don't know that many will understand this, but Courtney Love got me through that.  Her reading of (parts of) the note - her raw reaction - that picture of her and Frances in the park - her spinning a little out of control in the aftermath - her bringing it together as best she could being as she is a mess herself - I don't know how to describe it, but I figured if someone as messed up and damaged as Courtney Love could survive, I could too. 

Might not make any sense but I'm sad about Chris Cornell and some pinot noir is involved, and there it is.

• Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, Aquarius said:

I was not at the concert, but I heard a report this morning on my radio station that said Chris Cornell was "ebullient" during the performance and in unusually good spirits, eliciting more audience participation than usual.

Since then, I've been bracing for the news that it was a suicide. 

It happens, someone who has been suffering so long and finally comes up with a plan and a date and a decision - it's like a load off, and they can relax and be happy.  It will all be over soon.

And that's the worst part about suicide.  It leaves behind loved ones for whom the worst question is not "Why?" but 'Was there something I should have known/seen coming or that I could have done that might have prevented it?"  And sadly, the answer is usually "No," because the one who committed suicide was simply too practiced at hiding the pain that drove him or her to what he or she saw as the only solution.  He or she cannot ask for help, and he or she cannot hear those who would offer it.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 10
(edited)

In every interview I ever heard or saw Chris Cornell do, he seemed like a very level-headed, thoughtful, intelligent person.  He didn't seem incoherent or half-alert.   His mind seemed clear (because I guess he was sober for a very long time).  And in the abundance of photos I have seen of him online, where he is with his kids and wife, he looked completely happy to be with them.  You know how you sometimes see these photos of rock stars who look miserable to be with their families, or where it seems like the wife is the parent while the rock star dad kind of stands off to the side, staying as detached as possible?  Not in this case.  Chris, from all that I have seen, looks like he was an involved, hands-on dad (as much as he could be when he wasn't on tour or whatever).   He looked thrilled to be with his family.   You can see just in still photos alone that he loved them very much (I found some great pictures of Chris with dogs too, and I got the same feeling).  He seemed like a kind, gentle, sensitive soul.  That comes across very clearly.

It's all so very sad.

I have seen mixed reports of how Chris was behaving at the concert last night.  A couple of people said that he seemed extra animated.  A couple of other people said that something was definitely "off" with Chris -- that he almost seemed drunk or under the influence of something -- which was different than his usual demeanor.  I think there might be some clips online, but I have not looked for any of them yet.  I don't know if I will.

As far as the harsh/insensitive/ignorant comments about suicide, I see those kinds of comments whenever it happens.  I remember when Michael Hutchence (of whom I was a huge fan) of INXS died back in the late '90s.  At first, right after he was found, it was unclear what happened to him.  No one knew if foul play was involved.  No one knew if he had intentionally taken his own life.  No one knew if he accidentally died during some sort of autoerotic asphyxiation situation.   To this day, there still seem to be mixed opinions about what happened -- some people think that Michael's depression led him to deliberately take his own life; others think it was simply a sex act gone wrong and nothing more.   One of my friends -- who had been an INXS/Michael Hutchence fan prior to his death -- said, "I don't have any sympathy for anyone who commits suicide.  It's selfish."

I could see why my friend thought that -- Michael was leaving behind a daughter, after all, and a very troubled girlfriend, and parents, etc. -- but I didn't understand how she could not feel for Michael too.  It was sad for everyone involved.  Whether he intended to die or it was a terrible accident, he wasn't in a good place, emotionally (and that has been confirmed in later years), and it led him to a tragic end.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 4

When news of Chris's death hit CNN had this video auto playing with their article. It's from 2013 apparently. It's me projecting but his eyes seemed like they were kind of projecting a sense of sadness that he was trying to hide. As you said @TVFan17 he always came across as a kind, gentle and sensitive soul.  This has been making me think of Robin Williams too and the fact that he committed suicide due an illness that had no cure. The way he went so far to hide the way he was usually feeling from the public.

In regards to Michael Hutchence  in the biography shows I've seen about him most people say he changed a lot after that accident where he hit his head pretty hard. Apparently he didn't get the aftercare he should have in regards to that. He also lost his sense of taste and smell pretty much completely too which must have been a miserable thing to have happened.  Then the custody issues between him, Paula and Paula's ex-husband Bob factoring into it all. His "people" had been farking up his  financials for a long time too. Having all of that seemed like a disaster waiting to happen.

• Love 4
On 5/18/2017 at 9:10 AM, HoboClayton said:

Roger Ailes dead at 77.... 

18 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Apparently, he fell and hit his head the way I belive Justice Scalia did, and he died from the complications that resulted from that injury: 

It's too bad he didn't die a long, slow, painful death.

12 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

I think he died of shame.

Doubtful. Evil like Ailes has no shame.

• Love 9

Apparently Chris Cornell had a prescription for Ativan, which his family thinks may have had a part in his death--he may have taken too many, which impaired his judgment resulting in a possibly accidental suicide. I don't think I'm explaining this well, or correctly. It'll be better if you read the linked article.

http://variety.com/2017/music/news/chris-cornells-family-prescription-drugs-may-have-influenced-suicide-1202436611/

1 minute ago, BW Manilowe said:

Apparently Chris Cornell had a prescription for Ativan, which his family thinks may have had a part in his death--he may have taken too many, which impaired his judgment resulting in a possibly accidental suicide. I don't think I'm explaining this well, or correctly. It'll be better if you read the linked article.

http://variety.com/2017/music/news/chris-cornells-family-prescription-drugs-may-have-influenced-suicide-1202436611/

I think you're summarizing the article well -- it's just that the article itself doesn't make much sense. Accidentally taking a couple of extra Ativan does not make someone give an obvious farewell concert and then almost immediately and very effectively kill himself. I'm sure Chris's wife is shocked and devastated and looking for answers; I don't blame her in this state, but I hate to see yet another instance of blaming psych meds for psych issues. Chris struggled with depression since he was an adolescent. There's no telling what was in his mind or how long he may have planned this. Drugs like Ativan save a lot of lives, and it's irresponsible for the media to perpetuate a negative stigma about them, especially when their only "evidence" is the desperate grasping of a grief-stricken woman. To be clear, I'm not judging Chris or Vicky here. This one is on the press. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Miss Merrill has left us at 93 after forging an amazing career for herself despite being born with two silver spoons.  Of course, she also endured the tragedy of having to bury two of her four children. I wonder what her reaction would have been to her former home of Mar A Lago [yes, the VERY same place in Florida often in the news these days] being found having a sinkhole the very day of her death ? Sort of reminds me of the largest oak tree in the Hyde Park Estate falling literally minutes after the death of Sara Delano Roosevelt in 1941. I pray her mind has been restored and she with her loved ones again!  RIP, Miss Merrill.

Edited by Blergh
home ID
  • Love 6

Roger Moore was the James Bond of my childhood. His movies were the ones that played most frequently on ABC Sunday Night movie every few months. He was the perfect Bond of the 70s, debonair, with a sense of humor and wit. I also love his commentaries on the DVDs. My favorite moment of his, from Octopussy:

tumblr_nrfyu4TUWn1qhbarso1_400.gif

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, ABay said:

Roger Moore will always be Brett Sinclair from The Persuaders to me. He was also pretty hot as Simon Templar.

Wasn't he also in The Saint? And the movie based on the series, starred Val Kilmer?

I remember him as the hero in the tv version of one of my favorite Sidney Sheldon novels, The Naked Face. Though the movie didn't come anywhere near close to the awesomeness of the novel, Moore was so swoonworthy!

(edited)

As if the attack in Manchester alone isn't devastating enough, now Roger Moore dies. He was great in everything he did, even if the movies sometimes weren't, such as Boat Trip, The Quest & Spice World.

He was not only gorgeous as the original Simon Templar in The Saint TV show, he even did a cameo as the radio announcer at the end of the 1997 remake, starring Val Kilmer. 

Of course, Moore was awesome as James Bond. Here's one of my favorite Bond scenes, the car chase from The Man With the Golden Gun:

"The Man With the Golden Gun" Car Chase

RIP, Mr. Moore.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 4
(edited)

Of course, Moore was awesome as James Bond. Here's one of my favorite Bond scenes, the car chase from The Man With the Golden Gun

I definitely prefer my Bond with tongue firmly in cheek, so I enjoyed Moore's version.  But the best part of that car chase? It starts in an AMC dealership.

RIP, Sir Roger.

Edited by amaranta
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, ABay said:

Roger Moore will always be Brett Sinclair from The Persuaders to me. He was also pretty hot as Simon Templar.

9 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Wasn't he also in The Saint?

Simon Templar was The Saint.  That's the show where I first saw him although I later also  became a fan of him as Beau Maverick when that show went into re-runs.  I would love to see his Ivanhoe but I never have.

My favorite quote of  his about Bond:

“My whole reaction was always – he is not a real spy,” he said. “You can’t be a real spy and have everybody in the world know who you are and what your drink is. That’s just hysterically funny.”

• Love 6

Devastated about Roger Moore.   as noted - fuck cancer.

Cortez Kennedy is also devastating.

But words cannot express the feeling of loss over the Manchester Bombing.   I did not personally know any of the victims.   But they were KIDS dammit.   Enjoy a stupid pop princess concert.   They should have gone home that night squeeeing about the concert.    

• Love 13
(edited)

Wayne Walker, former Detroit Lion linebacker and placekicker, who played in 200 regular-season games in his career with Detroit from 1958-72 (according to Wikipedia, the second most for a defensive player then), has passed on at 80 from complications of Parkinson's. After his retirement, he worked on CBS generally on NFL broadcasts (I haven't seen him on anything else), and was also on sports on KPIX Channel 5 Eyewitness News in San Francisco from 1974-94. Also according to Wikipedia, he was a 3-time Pro Bowl selection, and a 3-time All-Pro. 

More on him from Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayne_Walker

Also, a couple of screen captures of him after his playing career (these when he was a CBS NFL color man back in '85 [this alongside Dick Stockton], and on sports on KPIX Channel 5 in S.F. in 1988 [talent credit at the top of a 6 P.M. broadcast]).

waynewalkercbs1985.jpg

kpix1988-4.jpg

Also, an obit from the Mercury News of San Jose:

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/05/19/longtime-popular-bay-area-sportscaster-dies/

Edited by bmasters9
Including obit
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 5/25/2017 at 9:51 PM, BW Manilowe said:

Jared Martin, who played Dusty Farlow, 1 of Sue Ellen Ewing's lovers, on Dallas, dead at age 75 from pancreatic cancer.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/jared-martin-dead-dusty-farlow-dallas-was-75-1007947

I first recall him in the hokey but-sometimes-better-than-expected sci-fi show "Fantastic Journey" in 1977. He played  Varian the initially mute 23rd century man disguised as an Arawak carrying a  healing crystal tuning fork trying to help contemporary stranded folks out of the Bermuda Triangle. It only lasted 10 episodes but Joan Collins and the late Roddy McDowell were among the performers.  I wonder if he thought playing Dusty topped that? RIP, Mr. Martin.

Edited by Blergh
number change
  • Love 1

He also starred in the TV show War Of the Worlds in the 80s, a continuation of the 50's movie.  It was must watch TV for me at the time.   The first season was fun and campy then it turned dark for the second season.  

3 hours ago, Blergh said:

I first recall him in the hokey but-sometimes-better-than-expected sci-fi show "Fantastic Journey" in 1977. He played  Varian the initially mute 23rd century man disguised as an Arawak carrying a  healing crystal tuning fork trying to help contemporary stranded folks out of the Bermuda Triangle. It only lasted 13 episodes but Joan Collins and the late Roddy McDowell were among the performers.  I wonder if he thought playing Dusty topped that? RIP, Mr. Martin.

Well, his character was so popular he was brought back from the dead on Dallas, & he was also considered a suspect in the "Who shot JR?" cliffhanger. I think that may top his other "best known for" roles.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/26/2017 at 3:55 PM, Cobb Salad said:

He also starred in the TV show War Of the Worlds in the 80s, a continuation of the 50's movie.  It was must watch TV for me at the time.   The first season was fun and campy then it turned dark for the second season.  

I was thinking about that show and Jared Martin today. (Given the devastation of the Martian invasion, season 2's darkness made more sense.)

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 1