Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

I can't link to them, but I've seen several stories that Miriam Colon, perhaps best known as Mama Montana in Scarface, died at the age of 80 from a pulmonary infection.  More recently, she had a guest role in Better Call Saul as Tuco's grandmother.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, Dee said:

Damn.  And he left behind a husband and three kids.

Suicide is probably the worst cause of death ever, because it leaves behind so many unanswered and unanswerable questions for the survivors, the worst of which isn't so much "Why?" as it is "Was there something I could have done or should have known that might have prevented it?"

And 46 is too damn young.  Period.  My thoughts and prayers go out to his husband and children.

• Love 6

I only remember Tommy Page from the Full House episode and his association with New Kids. I hear it may have been a suicide which is horrible. He was only 46 yrs old that is too young. What a shame. May he rest in peace. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Dee said:

Tommy Page, Singer and Former Billboard Publisher, Dies at 46

Oh, that's a little eerie -- after having not thought of him for decades, on Monday, I was helping a friend sort through some stuff in storage, and we came across a box of cassette tapes.  Lots of hair metal bands, and then a Tommy Page album.  We both started singing, "Picture this, you and me" (from Paintings in My Mind) and then that was as far as we could get (and there was one other song, I'll Be Your Everything, we recognized by title, but couldn't come up with any words).  I'll have to email her this sad news.

12 minutes ago, jennifer6973 said:

Just saw on twitter that Robert Osborne has passed away.

He was a host on Turner Classic Movies

He was 83

I just saw that on my Facebook feed. I'm so saddened by this. I grew up watching TCM and absolutely adored him and his intros. He hadn't been on the channel for a long time so I figured he was taking a backseat to let the younger generation of hosts do their thing but I missed him terribly and now he's really gone. Very sad.

• Love 2

Osborne's health had forced him to pull out of so many things over the past couple of years that I'm not at all surprised by this news, and 84 ain't bad, but I'm a little sad -- I've missed him on TCM, so knowing there will never be another appearance feels like the end of an era.  I'm sure the network will do a tribute.

• Love 9
(edited)

TCM's Remembers end of the year tributes always surpasses the Oscars and I cried over Robert Osborne's death and don't care who knows it. 

Edited by MissAlmond
inserted missing word.
  • Love 5
23 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

TCM's Remembers end of the year tributes always surpasses the Oscars and I cried over Robert Osborne's death and don't who knows it. 

I already cried too.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, UYI said:

He had one number one hit in 1990 on the Billboard Hot 100, "I'll Be Your Everything", but of course I'll always remember him most for singing to Stephanie on Full House. RIP, Tommy!

Oh no! Another staple of my childhood! I so remember that episode and swooning over him! I of course had no clue who he was at the time but 46 is far too young!

• Love 1

My daughter used to sneer at black and white movies until she discovered TCM.  While still a child, she fell in love with classic movies and idolized Robert Osborne.  She's in her 20s now and she still dreams of being a film historian because of him.  

I'm sorry, there must be some onions in here I can't find....

• Love 9

He had one number one hit in 1990 on the Billboard Hot 100, "I'll Be Your Everything", but of course I'll always remember him most for singing to Stephanie on Full House. RIP, Tommy!

Thank you. I didn't remember the song but I did vaguely remember him appearing on one of the '90s TV shows I watched back in the day--I was thinking more along the lines of BH 90210. That Full House clip must've been the one I was thinking of.

• Love 1

NO! No no no no.

I'd noticed his appearances had become fewer and fewer over the past couple of years, but it's no less sad.

RIP Mr. Osborne and thank you so much for introducing me to so many great films.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, maraleia said:

It turns out that Robert Osbourne was gay

I'm very happy that someone who always seemed like a lovely person in real life was in a longterm happy relationship.  But I'm not sure how much of a surprise the gay thing is - I just feel bad that he did not feel comfortable saying so in public.  But I'm not criticizing him - the fear level for pre-Stonewall LGBT people (like me, I might add - I'm bi)  was unsurprisingly high.  Again I just feel like I must  congratulate him  on  what seems to me like a life well lived.

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, roamyn said:

George Michael died of natural causes:  myocarditis (inflammation of the heart) & fatty liver.  The investigation into his death is being closed.

I have to wonder how those natural causes came about. I was a huge fan and was heartbroken  when I heard the news, He just seemed too young and it was too soon. "Father Figure" is one of my all time favorite songs and one of the hottest videos I've ever seen. (imo). "Faith" is another one. *Sigh*

• Love 1

Drug and alcohol abuse. May not have been on those things at the time of his death, but you will have lifetime effects from using that can kick your ass later on. Of course, those might not at all be the only reasons, but you can be sure they are a large contributing factor. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, HoboClayton said:

Drug and alcohol abuse. May not have been on those things at the time of his death, but you will have lifetime effects from using that can kick your ass later on. Of course, those might not at all be the only reasons, but you can be sure they are a large contributing factor. 

Fatty liver is almost always caused by alcohol abuse, from what I learned in my drug courses I had to take.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, roamyn said:

Fatty liver is almost always caused by alcohol abuse, from what I learned in my drug courses I had to take.

My mother had "fatty liver" and she was for sure a non drinker. Agreed though that alcohol is a main cause.

As for the HIV drugs, did he have HIV/Aids? No judgment , just a question.

I was a huge fan; This hit me hard.

31 minutes ago, riley702 said:

Tamoxifen caused mine by causing metabolic syndrome, or prediabetes.

I hope you are better now, riley

So metabolic syndrome (from whatever the cause?) can cause fatty liver?

I know we all die, but sometimes when these beloved celebs go too soon , it hits hard.

I remember being stunned when Michael Jackson died. And losing Prince broke my heart.  

2 hours ago, ari333 said:

So metabolic syndrome (from whatever the cause?) can cause fatty liver?

Yes. Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) is closely linked with metabolic syndrome, where your body becomes resistant to insulin and instead of burning sugars, turns it into fat and stores it in the liver.

• Love 1

Go ahead.  I dare anyone to listen to one of his songs (especially Johnny B. Goode) without fighting the urge to break into a Swing, Jitterbug, or Jive to it.  RIP, Mr. Berry, and thank you for the music and the joy.

• Love 9
47 minutes ago, BetterButter said:

It's amazing he lasted as long as he did.  But to say this is the end of  an era is understating things by a lot.  He was not a really , ahem, admirable guy in almost any way except the artistic one.  But having made that clear - there is NO rock and roll of any kind at all without Elvis and Chuck Berry.  Period.  No argument. End of story.

• Love 12
35 minutes ago, ratgirlagogo said:

It's amazing he lasted as long as he did.  But to say this is the end of  an era is understating things by a lot.  He was not a really , ahem, admirable guy in almost any way except the artistic one.  But having made that clear - there is NO rock and roll of any kind at all without Elvis and Chuck Berry.  Period.  No argument. End of story.

I would debate that the era will end with the death of Jerry Lee Lewis.  Those three were the most influential musicians on R&R.

RIP, Mr. Berry, and thanks - for the music, at least.