Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, navelgazer said:

No!!!!  I really liked him, especially as the "human barometer."  

RIP Bill.  

This is as shocking as Alan Rickman's last year!

So sad.  He was good as Randall McCoy, as well. He was good in many things.

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, Constantinople said:

I'll be impressed if the people responsible for putting together the In Memoriam part of tonight's Academy Awards show are able to update it in time.

I doubt we'll see him in it.  I think the cutoff is January 2017.  We'll most likely see him as part of the 2018 In Memoriam segment.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

I doubt we'll see him in it.  I think the cutoff is January 2017.  We'll most likely see him as part of the 2018 In Memoriam segment.

Is there a formal cutoff?  I just figured the Oscar producers included everyone they considered important enough and crossed their fingers that a Whitney Houston situation didn't happen (i.e. a legendary star dying within a day of the industry's most prestigious awards show). Now I understand why TCM Remembers has all those (IMO) distracting shots of random fountains and park benches, so there's space to update with new stars who have passed on.

• Love 2

Christ he was the same age as my mom!  Even freakier is the fact that AMC aired Titanic just last night. We really are living in the Twilight Zone now.

I hope at least someone mentions him at the Oscars tonight.

Game over indeed...

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 3

I've always had such a crush on Bill Paxton even though he's about 30 years older then me. I've still never watched Twister but I loved him in Apollo 13 and have seen most of his work since that film. 

What in the world kind of surgery was he having that resulted in death due to complications?

So very sad to hear this news today!

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, Mountainair said:

I've always had such a crush on Bill Paxton even though he's about 30 years older then me. I've still never watched Twister but I loved him in Apollo 13 and have seen most of his work since that film. 

What in the world kind of surgery was he having that resulted in death due to complications?

So very sad to hear this news today!

Heart surgery is what Variety said.

• Love 2

It always feels kind of surreal when a famous person dies and they've been appearing on TV talk shows a lot recently promoting their current projects. He had been promoting Training Day this month so I saw him on a few shows and he seemed like he was ok. It reminds me of how I saw Carrie Fisher on Colbert in Dec and she died later that month. Bill was quite handsome and always seemed like he was a good guy too. So sad.

• Love 6

Bypass perhaps and when they took him off the heart lung machine his heart wouldn't beat on its own.  Or maybe it was something like aortic dissection - know of a doctor who collapsed with this in a hospital and they couldn't save him.  Regardless, way too young. 

• Love 1

Until U-571 came along and changed the mental association for me, I always thought of him as Chet from Weird Science.  I think those two and Titanic are the only things I saw him in (and it took me several minutes to remember who he played in that one; I hated that movie and never watched it again, so I was trying to picture him on the ship before it finally clicked that he was the guy in modern day, hunting for treasure).  So I don't have the same association with him so many of you do, but he was one of those actors I was aware was quite prolific, even though mostly in projects I didn't watch.  He seemed like one of the nice guys, too.  At any rate, 61 is obviously way too young.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Dan Slott tweeted, "The only man to face off against a Terminator, an Alien and a Predator."

This is a bit of a shock, R.I.P.

And a tornado.

R.I.P.

2017: No one asked you to be the sequel that tries to be on par.

• Love 9

Truly tragic. Paxton was not only a great actor, he directed Frailty, a film about a man who claimed he was told by God to become a serial killer. An underrated horror classic, IMO.  Speaking of horror classics, Paxton was also great-and sexy-as one of the vampires in Near Dark

57 minutes ago, Popples said:

And a tornado.

R.I.P.

2017: No one asked you to be the sequel that tries to be on par.

He also fought in the Alamo and was at the O.K Corral. 

RIP, Mr. Paxton. From what I've heard and read about you, you were as solid gold as the treasure in Trespass

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 6

I was just coming in here to post about Judge Wapner.  I remember a comment he made during an interview once where he shared a bit of advice that a colleague had given him when he first ascended to the bench:  "Always remember two things -- first, you were once a lawyer yourself. Second, you're not God."

Rest in peace, Your Honor.  And you, too, Mr. Paxton.

• Love 15

The tweets people have been posting are beautiful. Every movie Bill Paxton was in even trended. Even his character Chet from Weird Science was a trend.  Goes to show you the impact he had on so many. Today is considered the biggest day in Hollywood and while he may have never won an Oscar he had a loyal and loving fan base. That makes him just as great as any other Star in my book.

R.I.P Judge Wapner. 97 is a good run. God Bless.

Edited by ShadowHunter
  • Love 14

Aw, Judge Wapner.  I respected his attitude about The People's Court and his comportment on it, that it may just be arbitration dressed up to look like small claims court for a TV show, but he was wearing the robe and, by George, he was going to conduct himself just as he'd done in his courtroom.

I didn't realize until reading an article just now that he and his wife had lost a daughter a couple of years ago, when she was in her 50s.  Condolences to his wife (of 70-ish years) and sons, of course, but 97 years?  That's great. 

As for Bill Paxton, I read that the fatal complication was a stroke.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

You know the old "rule of three"?  Guess what: Neil Fingleton of "Game of Thrones" dead at 36 from heart failure.

OK, 2017, you've made your point. You're a badass just like 2016 was.  Now knock it off.  Who dies from heart failure at 36?

According to this article, he was 7 feet, 7 inches tall. Perhaps there was something like Marfan's Syndrome (a heart condition affecting very tall people) involved here.

http://tvline.com/2017/02/26/neil-fingleton-dies-game-of-thrones-mag-the-mighty-dead/

5 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

According to this article, he was 7 feet, 7 inches tall. Perhaps there was something like Marfan's Syndrome (a heart condition affecting very tall people) involved here.

http://tvline.com/2017/02/26/neil-fingleton-dies-game-of-thrones-mag-the-mighty-dead/

I thought of that after I had posted the link to the article, because I also remembered that Krešimir Ćosić died at age 46 back in 1995, and he was 6 ft 11 inches tall. But he died from non-Hodgkins lymphoma, not heart failure.

Edited by legaleagle53
49 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Aw, Judge Wapner.  I respected his attitude about The People's Court and his comportment on it, that it may just be arbitration dressed up to look like small claims court for a TV show, but he was wearing the robe and, by George, he was going to conduct himself just as he'd done in his courtroom.

What I most remember from my youth seeing him on The People's Court is his standard opening line as he took the bench for a case: "I know you've been sworn, and I've read your complaint..." (or words to that effect).

51 minutes ago, Bastet said:

As for Bill Paxton, I read that the fatal complication was a stroke.

Ex-cardiothoracic ICU nurse here.  A lot of people think open heart surgery is routine, because it's performed so often, but it's incredibly high risk, no matter what the situation.  You're cracking open someone's chest and stopping their heart, and even if they survive the procedure, it doesn't stop the disease process.  And given that nobody has open heart surgery unless they're already high risk from their underlying disease and that many of these patients have other ailments, complications, big and small, are fairly common.  Being a younger patient didn't always mean a better outcome, either.  Still, very sad.

• Love 10

RIP Judge Wapner.   He was a good judge.   He didn't do the screamy schtick that a certain other tv judge does.   

But the Bill Paxton won hits hard.   As noted, he might not have won an Oscar, but it didn't matter.   He was a good solid actor that provided entertainment to millions.   What more could you ask for?

• Love 6

Bill Paxton's death is another that hits hard. I first noticed him in Aliens; his character Hudson is my favorite after Ripley. Since then I've seen him in many roles and was constantly impressed by his diversity. I do remember reading an interview with him in which he described after wrapping up filming for Aliens, he went into 6 or 7 months of depression, convinced that he had totally blown the role and that audiences would hate the character. Probably the last thing I saw him in was Edge of Tomorrow, and once again he gave dimension to his character in his own unique way.

• Love 4

The In Memoriam segment of the Oscars was worse than I thought it would be.   Damn, so many were lost I had forgotten a few.   Thanks for the reminder.  Then they ended with Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fischer.   Right through the heart.

• Love 5

So sad to hear about Bill Paxton. I was always a fan of his. His character on Big Love always really infuriated me, but that was a testament to what a good actor he was. I also loved him in Twister, even though the plot of that movie was pretty lame, and the big star was the special effects.

One of my brother's closest friends dated him in college. She was from a very wealthy family in Oklahoma. I believe he broke up with her when he decided to go to Hollywood to seek his fortune. Years later, after he'd hit it big, she was at a reunion with a bunch of her snooty sorority sisters, and one of them said, "Oh, Jane, when you were dating that Bill Paxton and he broke up with you and ran off to Hollywood to be an actor, we were just sure that he was a homosexual!"

• Love 5
13 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Ex-cardiothoracic ICU nurse here.  A lot of people think open heart surgery is routine, because it's performed so often, but it's incredibly high risk, no matter what the situation.  You're cracking open someone's chest and stopping their heart, and even if they survive the procedure, it doesn't stop the disease process.  And given that nobody has open heart surgery unless they're already high risk from their underlying disease and that many of these patients have other ailments, complications, big and small, are fairly common.  Being a younger patient didn't always mean a better outcome, either.  Still, very sad.

I remember when the anesthesiologist came in to talk to us, before my mum's surgery, last June. As soon as he said the words "high risk" I had to get out of there (to the waiting room) even though I was sure it would be, anyway. The nurse told us the next day, that she was a fighter, and a few days later, we found out that she'd had problems with her left side during the night - when we were at home, thinking she was okay for now (and we were finally sleeping). They were giving her shots to prevent blood clots. Unfortunately, it was just as I finally stopped being as worried as I had been, a few weeks later (she had hip surgery, and was preparing for one more), that she died. Aneurysm, on which they'd delayed surgery. :(

I feel so bad for his family, and I also had a bit of a crush on him over the years. He seemed like such a decent guy, just normal. 

Edited by Anela
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, merylinkid said:

The In Memoriam segment of the Oscars was worse than I thought it would be.   Damn, so many were lost I had forgotten a few.   Thanks for the reminder.  Then they ended with Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fischer.   Right through the heart.

They also rightly mentioned the passing of an Australian costume designer, but they used a photo of 1 of the deceased's still living friends/co-workers with the name & occupation of the deceased.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/oscars-memoriam-video-mentions-australian-costume-designer-but-uses-photo-friend-whos-alive-980

• Love 1

Another great Bill Paxton story is from rapper/actor Ice-T, his co-star in Trespass, about the time when Paxton stage-dived at one of his concerts. The tributes to Paxton remind me of the tributes to Prince, David Bowie, John Ritter, Muhammad Ali & Paul Walker because the more great stories I heard about them after they died, the more I admire them. 

• Love 3

I always liked Bill Paxton.  He was always "Hey it's that guy." To me.  I thought he was great in Hatfield & McCoys which I just watched again on Netflix.  Twisters is a lot of fun.   I thought True Lies was hilarious. I forgot he was on Agents of Shield.  But now that I have been reminded  his roll brought about one of the earliest important plot twists.  His new CBS show Training Day was kind of awful but not because of him or his acting.  It was just stupid.  Now however if CBS does put on the remaining episodes I may have to watch.  Damn it!

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

I always liked Bill Paxton.  He was always "Hey it's that guy." To me.  I thought he was great in Hatfield & McCoys which I just watched again on Netflix.  Twisters is a lot of fun.   I thought True Lies was hilarious. I forgot he was on Agents of Shield.  But now that I have been reminded  his roll brought about one of the earliest important plot twists.  His new CBS show Training Day was kind of awful but not because of him or his acting.  It was just stupid.  Now however if CBS does put on the remaining episodes I may have to watch.  Damn it!

As of now, it sounds like they're gonna keep airing Training Day. But ... the 1st ep got pretty low ratings, & the most recent ep that aired (I think only 2 have aired) was down 25% in the ratings from that. But they finished filming the season already; I think in December. If they keep it on, I expect it to be "1 & done" for the ratings, not because of Bill Paxton's untimely passing.

• Love 1