Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, Enero said:

Same here. We all have to die sometime and if someone makes it to 75 or above, they’ve had a long run and hopefully a full and for the most part amazing life. 

And I think the great Michael Douglas is just about to get there (born 9/25/44)!

12 hours ago, Enero said:

Same here. We all have to die sometime and if someone makes it to 75 or above, they’ve had a long run and hopefully a full and for the most part amazing life. 

The closer I get to 75, the younger it looks.  These days people are living way longer than that, and are both active and healthy.

• Love 17
3 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Fair winds and following seas, Captain Crane....

Hand Salute II.jpg

Seen in many shows this month about the 50th anniversary of the first moon landing - Chris Kraft - creator of the concept of Mission Control, dies at 95.  NASA's Mission Control Center was named for him a few years ago.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Oh wow, I remember him too. 

R.I.P., Mr. Hedison.

Were his last words "Help me!!!"?  (gratuitous Fly reference)

Seriously, I had a major crush on him back in the day.  He had a good long life. RIP.

• Love 4

Dang... this has been a bad day for losing celebrities. May they all Rest In Peace.

Some trivia about a couple of the newly, & dearly, departed in case it wasn’t mentioned in whatever obit(s) you read &/or linked to:

David Hedison was the father-in-law of 2-time Academy Award winner Jodie Foster through her marriage to Hedison’s daughter, photographer (& sometime actress—she was in The L Word, among other things) Alexandra Hedison.

Television personality & journalist Arthel Neville, who worked in both national television (she was a co-host of Extra, & of E!, CNN & Fox News programming) & at local affiliates of various US TV networks, I think mainly in the Southern California area, & who is apparently currently a weekend anchor for Fox News, was the daughter of the late Art Neville.

On 7/16/2019 at 2:44 AM, Halting Hex said:

Ball Four was quite possibly the most important book ever written by an athlete.  An enthralling diary of a personal struggle to stay on top in difficult circumstances (Bouton had lost his fastball when his arm froze up in a game in Minneapolis [pre-dome] in April, 1965, and the 1960s Yankees were notorious for treating their players as disposable, leading to many early retirements), it also explored how baseball players were basically treated as chattel before the strikes and bargaining break-throughs of the mid-1970s.  Treated as a "leper" (to quote the always-lovely Dick Young) for daring to portray ex-teammate Mickey Mantle in a more-human light (Mantle had been fluffed as the All-American White God in the 1950s/1960s press, to combat the fact that more and more stars, especially in the National League, were turning out to be, you know…Negroes.  And how could we let the kids grow up with that?), Bouton shined a light on the extreme pettiness and chintziness of management (he got in a dispute with one general manager over being reimbursed for having purchased a new product called GatorAde™ for the team; it was less than $100 worth), the blind eye turned towards the widespread use of amphetamines ("greenies") in an era where competitive edges were deeply-sought (Bouton and the Houston Astros, eliminated from playoff contention, joking about how many greenies the Cincinnati Reds were taking while trying to catch Atlanta:  "Five more micrograms and he'd have had that one") and the sadly still-pervasive racism in 1969 America. Endlessly readable and rereadable, I treasure the copy (and the edition of his follow-up, I'm Glad You Didn't Take It Personally) that I was fortunate enough to have Jim sign at an event in 2009.

Bouton's later years were filled with all sorts of challenges, from his various careers (acting, sportscasting, inventing) to a midlife crisis-fueled comeback attempt that saw the end of his marriage and the start of a new one, to being thought of as persona non grata by the Yankees until he was finally invited back to Old-Timers' Day and similar events in 1998, to the heartbreaking tale of the tragic death of his daughter, Laurie (referred to in the book as "the Unsinkable Molly Brown" for her accident-prone toddlerhood) in a 1997 car accident (which likely was responsible for the Yankees lifting his ban the next year).  I'm still trying to find the piece on Laurie's death (it was in the 2000 revised edition of Ball Four, but it was in some newspaper first) online, but while I do, have this excellent obituary for the man himself.

Now, much like former teammate Steve Barber's arm, we can that Bouton isn't "sore, [he's] just a little stiff."  (As mentioned, players in the 1960s went to great pains to conceal injuries; Barber's constant denial of his arm injury is a source of both humor and anger in the book.)  In the immortal words of Seattle manager Joe Schultz, "Ah, shitfuck".

Oh, joy, I've found it.  If, like me, you're the sort of sick puppy who likes reading what a father writes about the death of his effervescent gone-too-soon daughter, this is for you.

(From the book version, apparently.  Apologies for the formatting difficulties.  Actually, now that I look at it, the link is to the entire book, with all the various appendices that came out with each ten-year reissue.   Very useful, despite the annoying formatting.  I'd still rather have the book, though.  [Yes, I have just seen a video review of the episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer where Giles has the speech about why he prefers books to computers.  I think that's just a coincidence, though.])

In other feel-good news from the world of sports this weekend, Pernell "Sweet Pea" Whitaker was killed when he was struck by a car in his hometown of Virginia Beach, VA.  Whitaker, age 55, won a gold medal at the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics, and was pretty much the best boxer in the world for the following decade, winning titles in four divisions (at his best as a lightweight), briefly unifying the welterweight title, reaching the Hall of Fame, battling alcohol problems after retirement, and having some success as a trainer, but not reaching the top because he didn't want to relocate to Las Vegas.  So, away from the neon lights, he got killed because his clothes were too dark and the driver didn't see him crossing the street.  And so it goes…

Whitaker's first title win (1989)

It says that the video is no longer available.

28 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

Were his last words "Help me!!!"?  (gratuitous Fly reference)

Seriously, I had a major crush on him back in the day.  He had a good long life. RIP.

• Love 5
(edited)
4 hours ago, Vixenstud said:

[David Hedison] was in my favorite James Bond movie, Live and Let Die....License to Kill as well.

Rest well, sir.

Hedison and Roger Moore were old friends, having acted together as far back as The Saint in 1964.  Of the seven actors to play Felix Leiter, Hedison was the first to make more than one appearance, although Jack Lord (who played Felix in Dr. No) was asked back for Goldfinger, but demanded more money and better billing, and was replaced.  (Jeffrey Wright is scheduled to return as Felix in next year's "Bond 25", which will make him the first actor to play Felix three times.)

I best knew Hedison from his run on Another World (1991-1995) as controlling patriarch Spencer Harrison.  (Who somehow managed to interact with Rachel Cory [Victoria Wyndham] for four years without mentioning her shocking resemblance to his late wife…until Wyndham decided that she needed a big story and playing her own not-so-dead-after-all evil döppelgänger would give her a chance to stretch.  Ahh, the things we did for entertainment before the internet…)

50 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

It says that the video is no longer available.

Yeah, it says the account's been terminated, presumably because of copyright strikes.  I really should have downloaded more fights from that account; it's just harder to "collect" boxing than team sports, as there's no fixed schedule.  Oh, well. I'm sure plenty of "Sweet Pea"'s fights are still on YT, and other video platforms as well. The search function is your friend…or your temptress, perhaps.

Edited by Halting Hex
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

Hedison and Roger Moore were old friends, having acted together as far back as The Saint in 1964.  Of the seven actors to play Felix Leiter, Hedison was the first to make more than one appearance, although Jack Lord (who played Felix in Dr. No) was asked back for Goldfinger, but demanded more money and better billing, and was replaced.  (Jeffrey Wright is scheduled to return as Felix in next year's "Bond 25", which will make him the first actor to play Felix three times.)

I best knew Hedison from his run on Another World (1991-1995) as controlling patriarch Spencer Harrison.  (Who somehow managed to interact with Rachel Cory [Victoria Wyndham] for four years without mentioning her shocking resemblance to his late wife…until Wyndham decided that she needed a big story and playing her own not-so-dead-after-all evil döppelgänger would give her a chance to stretch.  Ahh, the things we did for entertainment before the internet…)

Yeah, it says the account's been terminated, presumably because of copyright strikes.  I really should have downloaded more fights from that account; it's just harder to "collect" boxing than team sports, as there's no fixed schedule.  Oh, well. I'm sure plenty of "Sweet Pea"'s fights are still on YT, and other video platforms as well. The search function is your friend…or your temptress, perhaps.

So that’s what the video was about then.

2 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Are you fucking kidding me?! Rutger Hauer?! Nooooooooo!!!!!!

NO! I saw Blade Runner a few years after it came out. I was about nine, but I fell in love with Hauer’s beauty then. I soon after appreciated him for his craft too. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Here is the Variety obituary for Hauer; he died last week at home after a short illness (age 75).  I need to go check all his credits on IMDb, because although I know his name and vaguely recognize him, I don't think I've ever actually seen him in anything.  Seems odd, given the number of credits listed in the obit, but I'd never seen any of those films, so maybe.  Updated to say odd, but true: 174 credits and I haven't seen any of them.

Looking at IMDb, he was working recently, because he has multiple projects in post right now.  So it seems like he was healthy and active right up until the short illness that took his life; hopefully that's of some comfort to his loved ones.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5
(edited)

If you ever have the chance watch Soldier of Orange, a Dutch movie directed by Paul Verhoeven and starring Rutger and Jeroen Krabbe(who was the bad guy in The Fugitive and the Bond movie The Living Daylights)

RIP Rutger, I will always remember my mom talking fondly about your show Floris.

Edited by galaxygirl76
  • Love 7

I had a crush on Rutger Hauer as a child after seeing him in Ladyhawke and then Blade Runner. He was such a good actor, very enigmatic, and with beautiful blue eyes! I was always happy to see him onscreen. RIP.

• Love 7

Wow...now this one, it hurts a bit.  Such a good actor, even in the mindless 80's action junk.  So brilliant in Blade Runner, Ladyhawke, Inside The Third Reich, so many others.  I've not seen Soldier Of Orange in ages, but I remember liking it.  I'd recommend Father Land, an earlier HBO film with Miranda Richardson, he's particularly fine in that - he could play understated so well.  

RIP Roy Batty...time to die.      

• Love 7
35 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

I thought that Hauer died today and not the 19th.

No, the 19th, per his agent's statement; the funeral was today, though, and according to the Hollywood Reporter, his family didn't want the news released until after the funeral.

• Love 4
Just now, Bastet said:

No, the 19th, per his agent's statement; the funeral was today, though, and according to the Hollywood Reporter, his family didn't want the news released until after the funeral.

Oh okay. That makes more sense to me now.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

That might be my favorite movie quote. And Hauer made you believe that it actually happened.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Enigma X said:

NO! I saw Blade Runner a few years after it came out. I was about nine, but I fell in love with Hauer’s beauty then. I soon after appreciated him for his craft too. 

Rutger Hauer was awesome.  Blade Runner comes to mind first, but he creeped the hell out of me in The Hitcher.

• Love 7

Rutger Hauer wrote his character's dying monologue in Blade Runner, which to me was the best part of the movie. I haven't seen Blade Runner in years but I remember that speech to this day.

Tears in the rain. RIP, Sir.

• Love 10

My favorite Rutger Hauer movie was also The Hitcher. After seeing Blade Runner on VHS, I convinced my older sisters that we needed to find another movie of his to watch. We picked up The Hitcher at Blockbuster. 

• Love 7
18 minutes ago, magdalene said:

Rutger Hauer wrote his character's dying monologue in Blade Runner, which to me was the best part of the movie. I haven't seen Blade Runner in years but I remember that speech to this day.

Tears in the rain. RIP, Sir.

I have rewatched the movie a few times over the years specifically to see that scene. The monologue, and especially the way Hauer delivered it, completely emphasized the Frankenstein elements of Blade Runner: that the replicant/monster had greater philosophical insight, self-reflection, and sense of wonder than the humans who created them. 

I've seen him in a few other roles, but another that stands out is The Hitcher. He was scary as fuck in that. Overall, though, Hauer was just one of those actors who had huge screen presence. I don't mean that he was chewing scenery or anything; he could be standing completely still and your eyes would still be drawn to him. I'm glad that he was able to work until almost the end, but wish he was still around for other roles. 

• Love 9

RIP. Rutger Hauer.

I FLOVED Ladyhawke!  Altho I remember thinking the 80s  soundtrack did not match the Medieval Fantasy feel of the movie. 

Also he freaked me out so hard in The Hitcher.

• Love 7
47 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

RIP. Rutger Hauer.

I FLOVED Ladyhawke!  Altho I remember thinking the 80s  soundtrack did not match the Medieval Fantasy feel of the movie. 

Also he freaked me out so hard in The Hitcher.

This was my mother's favorite actor. Upon hearing the news, I think the world is much sadder now that he is gone. I hope all the actors/directors that worked with him put tributes on their Instagram or Twitter accounts. This man deserves the mass respect. RIP Hauer.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Enigma X said:

My favorite Rutger Hauer movie was also The Hitcher. After seeing Blade Runner on VHS, I convinced my older sisters that we needed to find another movie of his to watch. We picked up The Hitcher at Blockbuster. 

If you have to stop at a remote roadside diner, do NOT order the french fries!

• Love 7
22 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

One of my sisters was turned off of french fries for a while after watching but not me. Ha! 

• Love 4
(edited)
10 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

If you ever have the chance watch Soldier of Orange, a Dutch movie directed by Paul Verhoeven and starring Rutger and Jeroen Krabbe(who was the bad guy in The Fugitive and the Bond movie The Living Daylights)

RIP Rutger, I will always remember my mom talking fondly about your show Floris.

That's probably what I remember him the most from. 20 years ago, my local library had a ton of foreign movies on VHS, which I would rent out. I went through several Verhoeven films. They were all harrowing in their own ways (especially Katje Tippel...), but Soldier of Orange was on the level of a Hollywood epic. Rutger gave a star-making performance - so much with his eyes alone. He was born in the wrong era in some ways in terms of films, as I could have easily seen him as a Hollywood leading man of the '30s or '40s. 

He also did a number of ads for Guinness. I love watching old commercials so I see them all the time. He was a great pitchman. 

There have been so many celebrity passings this month. I was so sad to hear about Charles Levin. I used to watch Alice all the time in repeats. The last years were something of a slog, and Levin was one of the new actors, along with Celia Weston, who helped add some new energy. I was so pleased when Vera got her happy ending. And now Levin and Beth Howland are both gone. 

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Why not?   Fries are great finger foods. 

I loved that movie. I got my DVD out and am going to watch tomorrow. 

Edited by Rescue Mama
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4

Yikes, I didn't even imagine Mr. Hauer could get sick! 😞

Against all logic, I thought Mr. Hauer would always be  an eternal leading man. His performance in Ladyhawke made an utterly preposterous premise seem quite compelling. I mean, one COULD imagine that he'd be a frustrated wolf by night. RIP, Mr. Hauer!

• Love 7

Interesting, so far no one has mentioned Rutger's scary appearance in the underrated Nighthawks with Sylvester Stallone and Billy Dee Williams.

I will still randomly twist my mouth and yell out 'Wolfgar!' from time to time.

At any rate, RIP, handsome one.

• Love 12

Alas David Hedison who I think is the best Felix Leiter and Rutger Hauer who could do from the ridiculous like Split Second (BIG GUNS!) to the sublime such as Blade Runner. 

Do you think they released a white dove at his funeral?

• Love 1

I think the first thing I saw Rutger Hauer in was probably Ladyhawke.  I'm disappointed there doesn't seem to be any love for Blind Fury.  I was fond of that stupid movie.

• Love 3