Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

And Pristina is a terrible couple name. Though it is close to "pristine," which is hilarious, given the nature of the relationship.

ETA: I mean the student-teacher, adulterous part, not that it's between two ladies! To be clear.

Edited by Melgaypet
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, Fellaway said:

Whaaaaat?!  With the Unholy Trinity reunited and front and center?!?  Inconceivable!!

And never losing.  EVER.  

Everyone is the big bad baddie to them!

• Love 2

Days: We have a hot young romance people are excited about, plus a longtime fan favorite couple getting remarried!

GH: We have two bland-as-cardboard 14-year-olds, plus the leading lady's boyfriend tied to a bed! 

• Love 12

I dunno. Summer 2008 was pretty bleak stuff in its own right, but you decide. First two weeks of August 2008:  

Jason was beside himself over Carly's dinner with Karpov. Sam fingered Jerry for the counterfeit drug ring. Sonny realized that the Russian mob was making inroads on his territory. Karpov told Jerry the alliance with Sonny was off. Jerry took aim in the warehouse with Jason, Carly, and Claudia nearby. Lulu, plagued by visions of the dead Logan, visited her catatonic mother. Johnny tried to help Lulu by taking her to Shadybrook. Lulu and Johnny's time on the run came to an end when the police closed in on them. Spinelli collapsed on a stakeout and was hospitalized. Patrick and Robin learned they were having a girl. Sam hesitated to accept Lucky's offer of cohabitation. Sonny exploded with fury when Anthony threatened Kristina again. Anthony plotted to get Claudia back under his roof and under his thumb. Elizabeth professed her love to Jason and her willingness to wait for him. Sonny and Jason clashed over the best way to run the mob.

Edited by Asp Burger
57 minutes ago, Asp Burger said:

I dunno. Summer 2008 was pretty bleak stuff in its own right, but you decide. First two weeks of August 2008:  

Might have been bleak but it seems more interesting? I'm not watching now but I was then so....guess that maybe means something?

• Love 2

A new character probably won't be an improvement because this team is pretty terrible at character development. And I'm not ok with the show just dropping it's only black, female contract character. 

GH has a pretty terrible record at writing for its minority characters. VA leaving because she got a job that actually lets her act is not an excuse for them to do worse. Recast and do better, GH - to the best of your admittedly limited abilities.

I'm still kinda annoyed that she and Jules never had a ONS. They had actual chem - she and Curtis just have a ton of pretty.

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, MissL said:

Might have been bleak but it seems more interesting?

Mileage varies, obviously. I look at that and I think it reads like everything else Guza ever did. Two weeks of Gooze by Numbers. Sonny and his territory. Sonny and Jason and how best to protect the territory. Another sniper situation. The Zaccharas, that transparent attempt to make the Corinthos family look healthy. I can't even picture this "Karpov" character without hunting down a photo. There was a different Karpov big-bad-boss type every few months, and it was always the same beats played. I thought at first he might be the one who was mixed up with Brenda and was not Alcazar #1, but no, that was "The Balkan," who didn't start until Dante had been introduced.  

So, yeah, I do prefer the show now to ten years ago. However, what's going on now is unfolding at the pace of real time. When you look at a summary from ten years ago, it's easy to say, "Aw, Lulu when JMB played her" and "Patrick and Robin! I miss them," whatever little positives there are.  

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

However, what's going on now is unfolding at the pace of real time.

Eh. It’s all preference. I can guarantee I won’t like anything that is airing now 10 years from now. Whereas I liked characters/stories that were happening in real-time in 2008 and still do today. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, In2You said:

Why did they hire this woman who I don't even believe is 30 yet to play Jordan? And they hired a biracial actress to replace a black one.

It's insulting.

• Love 6
39 minutes ago, Melgaypet said:

Valerie is even more useless than Jordan. GH should be embarrassed by the way they completely fail to utilize their minority characters, but I expect TPTB are completely incapable of any such feeling.

As much as I ended up disliking Valerie, I would have much preferred Valerie being the center of the #MeToo storyline than Kiki. I really think it would explain why the police department is fucked up as it is. While there has been always female GH employees, to the point there has been a long running female chief of staff and several women who were on the GH board, and only on Port Charles in the late 90s/early aughts did we get a reasonable set up for a Kiki's story, there haven't been a whole lot of female police officers featured (4 including Anna and Jordan as far as I can see, not including female FBI agents that Sonny would seduce) with Mac serving as a longest comissioner. With her affair with Dante ending becoming public, she could easily be targetted for sexually harassment.

• Love 5

It's insane to me how quickly the show snapped off this extended branch of the Spencer tree.  They could have done more with Patricia before she kicked it, Valerie's dad could be tied to Port Charles somehow, she could have a half-sibling, something!  A UK soap would have run with this like whoa! 

• Love 12
16 hours ago, Ambrosefolly said:

I really think it would explain why the police department is fucked up as it is.

The PCPD has been fucked up ever since Sonny blew into town and whined to everyone he couldn't be thrown in jail because of his claustrophobia.

But your larger point is a really good one. Lauren's lawsuit should be more of an umbrella story, including the PCPD and ELQ in its scope. Of course, that means focusing on a) characters not Sonny/Carly/Jason, b) wimmins, and c) characters not Sonny/Carly/Jason.

14 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

It's insane to me how quickly the show snapped off this extended branch of the Spencer tree.  They could have done more with Patricia before she kicked it, Valerie's dad could be tied to Port Charles somehow, she could have a half-sibling, something!  A UK soap would have run with this like whoa! 

Valerie was introduced solely to mess with Dante's marriage. I was amazed they trotted her out for Nathan's funeral.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Melgaypet said:

Valerie is even more useless than Jordan. GH should be embarrassed by the way they completely fail to utilize their minority characters, but I expect TPTB are completely incapable of any such feeling.

Valerie was miscast and badly written from Day 1 and pushing her from Dante to his younger sister won't do her any favors.

I think the casting was fine, it's just that RV shoved her into that terrible story with Dante without ever developing the character. And considering the fact that she was a long-lost, biracial Spencer, some thought should have been given her character other than obstacle for Lulu and Dante's marriage.

She shouldn't have been some throw away Fatal Attraction character; that's on RC.

I thought she was really good in her scenes with Dillon and I liked her scenes with Kristina. She got some incredibly shitty writing straight out of the gate and wasn't experienced enough to move past it. Unfortunately, the same thing happened to CL.

I think the stories on this soap have ranged between  forgettable and embarrassingly bad for awhile now - but the character development, pacing and daily script writing have been especially egregious under FV. And story structure has been really, really problematic. It's been bad in different ways with each head writer, but it's been consistently bad.

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 4

Measured against Plywood, Dillon (who frequently felt like a pageant kid) and Keeks - I think she was the best of the bunch. But those three, escpecially Keeks and Plywood kept getting airtime - and at least an opportunity to improve. Cartini just never had any interest in the character/actress beyond Lante roadkill

• Love 2

Maybe when they bring back Kristina (something I'm not thrilled about), they can bring Valleri back, too.  Those two did have a somewhat interesting friendship and it would be nice to see friendships explored on this show outside of the bestest friendship ever in the history of friends, Jason and Carly.

Not thrilled about the Jordan replacement (puts on shallow hat) because, unless it is just an unflattering picture, she isn't as pretty as current Jordan.  Current Jordan is knock out beautiful and when you put her with sexy ass Curtis, it doesn't matter to me that their relationship is dull.  I just like to look at them. Not sure this Jordan will have the same effect.  

• Love 1

I missed many years of this show, on purpose because I just lost interest, so I don’t know who Kristina and Parker are. Should I even care? Will they be central to any of the current stories?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Gam2 said:

I missed many years of this show, on purpose because I just lost interest, so I don’t know who Kristina and Parker are. Should I even care? Will they be central to any of the current stories?

Kristina is the product of Sonny and Alexis's one night stand. Parker is her (female) professor she end sleeping with. And no, you shouldn't care. 

• Love 2
On 8/10/2018 at 2:11 PM, Asp Burger said:

So, yeah, I do prefer the show now to ten years ago. However, what's going on now is unfolding at the pace of real time. When you look at a summary from ten years ago, it's easy to say, "Aw, Lulu when JMB played her" and "Patrick and Robin! I miss them," whatever little positives there are.  

Ten years ago, there were better connections, friendships, etc. on screen.  JMB played Lulu reconnecting with Laura (who was coming out of the catatonic state), Elizabeth had a real friendship with Robin and Patrick which involved encouraging them/being excited for them about their baby (as opposed to what Elizabeth gets for scenes now), Anna was not the embarrassing character she is now, Tracy was still in town to spar with Monica and the Corinthos family, there was no Franco or Kiki, Sam was actually a bit interesting because she was not with Jason....I could go on.

• Love 1

Everything in the era of Sonny's Territory, with Shooting Victims Treated at General Hospital was filtered through Guza's off-the-charts misogyny, so it had little to nothing for me. I could see someone being nostalgic for his first time around (1997-2000), when Riche was exerting some governing influence, but his second was like so many sequels: longer and more indulgent. I hope an example of the non-embarrassing Anna of her 2006-08 return is not the notorious scene of her advising Robin on her love life, which boiled down to "Let's face it, you're not going to have that many hot guys chasing after you."  

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, Asp Burger said:

I could see someone being nostalgic for his first time around (1997-2000).

He actually began in 1996, and was gone for about a year in 1997 when he went to create Sunset Beach; there were two other teams of head writers before he returned by early 1998 or so. Liz was actually created by the second team. 

You're right about him starting in 1996, but I think his return from that hiatus was in December 1997, and lasted the next three years. I believe his swan song (for then) was the gunning down of Sonny outside the PCPD station, Christmas 2000. But it's possible his involvement was decreasing throughout that last year. 

Edited by Asp Burger

was weaved into storylines involving Luke Spencer, a quartet of Carlys, Jason Morgan né Quartermaine and several Brenda lookalikes

First of all, "was weaved"? They get the correct, masculine form "né" and then whiff on basic English? Oof. But major snaps for "several Brenda look-alikes," heh. (Even though that's spelled wrong. Sigh. Où sont les copy editors d'antan?)

That promo included some major barware damage, so at least one editor has a sense of humor.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

We gotta celebrate 25 years of slurring words, cue cards, and shit acting!  Apparently there's a big celebration on set today with everyone getting their own shirt to commemorate the day he taped his first scenes.

There are no words to describe how much Maurice, Burton, and Wright disgust me.

Edited by Hater
  • Love 12
10 minutes ago, Hater said:

We gotta celebrate 25 years of slurring words, cue cards, and shit acting!  

You forgot his often-used whispering technique.  Can be used to display sadness, anger, emotional upheaval.  It's like the Swiss Army knife of acting tics.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, HeatLifer said:

Some of my fave scenes in the ‘90s included Mo/Sonny. Loved him during that period, for a variety of reasons. He’s definitely stayed too long, though, and the character is tired.

I kind of like the period when he and Luke were going up against Frank Smith. I also liked the SL of Carly slowly falling for him after being forced to get married to him. (Although the misogyny was pretty thick with Jason and Sonny gifting her back and forth, and deciding just how much of a problem she would be during various manly mob crises.) 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

You forgot his often-used whispering technique.  Can be used to display sadness, anger, emotional upheaval.  It's like the Swiss Army knife of acting tics.

And smiling awkwardly and moments that don't call for it. That's very important.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Neptune said:

I love how pretty well everyone is in a celebratory t-shirt, except the Carlys. I actually didn't notice that TB wasn't in a shirt until I rechecked, she sort of blends in. Not LW, though. LW in a glaring white spaghetti strap shirt, girls on full-display, crazy-wild hair, with sunglasses on her head (indoors, which I know is a look, but still), clutching the man-of-the-hour, with LWBF just a few feet behind. Every time I see anything about LW beyond the show, I just think she screams: attention whore. Well, I guess ON the show, too. She'd be exhausting to be around, I think.

Also, pretty ballsy of MB's daughter to call her dad #GOAT, when he's standing a few feet away from RFS! (I think, I can't really blow up the pic, but I think that's RFS). Staying on a show way past his expiration does not, in fact, make him the #GOAT.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Neptune said:

Should be a GIF so we can watch Mo's head expand to the size of the freakin' sun.

So he's been on 25 years like this is a BFD? How many others on this show have made that number & what did they get? Bupkus.

ETA: Mo may be a great guy, what do I know? But the character of Sonny is horrid and the way they glorify this 2 bit miserable misogynist bully (& his stupid lackey/hitman) is beyond me. I just don't see why all the adulation for this particular actor....

Edited by RedRockRosie
  • Love 12