Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

(edited)
9 hours ago, ouinason said:

I'm excited to see BM do more outside stuff.  He did stuff when he was on Y&R.

My first exposure to him was actually when he played a friend-turned-not-a-friend of one of Sarah Michelle Gellar's twins on "Ringer".  The Smidge actually stacked that cast with soap actors, that dude who played Jamie on AMC also recurred for a while and Michelle Stafford showed up as well.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 1

I miss Ringer. That was a fun show, even if the premise couldn't sustain itself. I remember when the news about BM broke, and everyone was so excited to see him on a prime-time show. I didn't think his role gave him all that much to do, in all honesty, but it's always nice to see soap actors escape.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

but it's always nice to see soap actors escape.

I agree. I was really hoping that Kimberly McCullough would have had more success in front of the camera after she left. Aside from appearing in one or two scenes on original recipe CSI, a recurring role on Once and Again, there was hardly anything. And then she went the director route and I'm so glad for her and her success. I'm not sure what it is, but I remember that a lot of actors in the '80s who had success in prime-time at least, came from soaps. Like John James (Jeff from Dynasty) was on Another World, as was...Joel Higgins (I know him more from being Rick Schroeder's dad on Silver Spoons), Yasmeen Bleeth... and to a certain extent, Genie Francis had a helluva lot more success in prime time television after she left, AND on other soaps, than that douche who was her co-star and partner for a good number of years. Every single guest appearance Geary has had that I've seen (Murder, She Wrote, Perry Mason movies,), he SUCKED and was so one-note.

Demi Moore, Meg Ryan Christian Slater, Kevin Bacon, Julianne Moore are the only ones that come to mind about making it big on the big screen.

• Love 3
51 minutes ago, jsbt said:

They all say that every time they get a primetime gig. Then they leave anyway. He'll make some token appearances but he'll be gone.

Nope in Billy's case they never lead to him leaving full time which is what he would prefer.

(edited)

Billy Miller has left a soap opera full time before and he will again.

Nine times out of ten when an actor lands a major role on a non-soap show they make vague promises of doing both, and ultimately split. Miller's character on GH has been marginalized and displaced. A non-soap role will always take first position with a hungry actor, and I see no evidence he will not do so here beyond an unsourced article from a sketchy website. Even if ABC were to claim otherwise, it'd likely be bullshit just like it is every time this happens with someone. I think they even tried to claim Vinessa Antoine would hang around at first, too. And she has a leading role on a new show!

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I miss Ringer. That was a fun show, even if the premise couldn't sustain itself. I remember when the news about BM broke, and everyone was so excited to see him on a prime-time show. I didn't think his role gave him all that much to do, in all honesty, but it's always nice to see soap actors escape.

I'm still sad we never got to see Good Sarah Michelle Gellar confront Bad Sarah Michelle Gellar.  Oh wells.

Annnyyyway, yes, this gig is recurring, but I'm with jsbt, I think he's getting ready to fully bolt, especially given the deemphasis on the character.  I'm sure he wants to go out for pilots this year.

3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I agree. I was really hoping that Kimberly McCullough would have had more success in front of the camera after she left. Aside from appearing in one or two scenes on original recipe CSI, a recurring role on Once and Again, there was hardly anything.

Demi Moore, Meg Ryan Christian Slater, Kevin Bacon, Julianne Moore are the only ones that come to mind about making it big on the big screen.

There was "Legally Blonde"!

And as far as soap starts to big screen success, let us not forget about Michael B. "Reggie Montgomery on AMC" Jordan.  I've been randomly watching some of the AMC/OLTL baby swap stuff and it's so crazy to remember him being on that show.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 3
On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 1:06 PM, LexieLily said:

Why, ? Did he want his sperm donor to put another bullet in his chest ? I have nor liked Dante since he lied on the stand that He a cop shot himself in the chest ????? That alone should have lost him his job,and him and his mother should still be in matching cells for perjury.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

... and to a certain extent, Genie Francis had a helluva lot more success in prime time television after she left, AND on other soaps, than that douche who was her co-star and partner for a good number of years. Every single guest appearance Geary has had that I've seen (Murder, She Wrote, Perry Mason movies,), he SUCKED and was so one-note.

I think that contributed to a lot of his douchiness. He had been ruling the roost at GH, and when he left, he became just another average actor who wasn't even that good looking. Genie, in the meantime, was staying busy, both in soaps and other gigs, and, for better or worse, shows like "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" and "Entertainment Tonight" were producing features on her almost weekly. I think Geary was just plain jealous. 

And to keep this in the media thread, in case you're wondering about Geary's current life, here's an article from April. Hard to believe he was a heart throb. https://www.abc.soapsindepth.com/posts/general-hospital-anthony-geary-life-in-amsterdam-157806

• Love 4

His hair is still the stuff of nightmares.

30 minutes ago, rur said:

I think that contributed to a lot of his douchiness. He had been ruling the roost at GH, and when he left, he became just another average actor who wasn't even that good looking.

He still had a chip on his shoulder about being a soap actor, and I think that contributed to him not taking roles. GF seemed to know where her bread was buttered, and didn't mind working on projects that weren't 180 degrees from GH. North and South and Bare Essence were very soapy.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

And as far as soap starts to big screen success, let us not forget about Michael B. "Reggie Montgomery on AMC" Jordan.  I've been randomly watching some of the AMC/OLTL baby swap stuff and it's so crazy to remember him being on that show.

And Josh Duhamel. His career has cooled a bit the last few years but when he was getting roles left and right I'd tell anyone with me in the room at the time, it's Leo!!! Still do it every time a Taco Bell commercial is on.

14 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

He still had a chip on his shoulder about being a soap actor, and I think that contributed to him not taking roles. GF seemed to know where her bread was buttered, and didn't mind working on projects that weren't 180 degrees from GH. North and South and Bare Essence were very soapy.

TG is a straight douche. Stay in Amsterdam forever. I enjoy that his misplaced ego got him nowhere when he ventured beyond soaps. My biggest gripe was the ridiculous amount of creative control he had over GH when he was on. Mo is a close second. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, jsbt said:

They all say that every time they get a primetime gig. Then they leave anyway. He'll make some token appearances but he'll be gone.

This isn't a primetime gig on a network, it is on Apple TV - ergo streaming and only for 10 episodes in a season.

• Love 1

The only thing I ever saw Geary in that wasn't a soap was a grade-Z Lorenzo Lamas action movie (was there any other kind?) on cable. He was a crime boss. I don't count his appearance on Roseanne as Luke Spencer.  

He was an above-average actor for a soap lead, I'll give him that. But Hollywood and the stages of the world are full of good actors, and a lot of them are conventionally good-looking. Or if not that, they're more usefully connected, better established, whatever. No one was going to think of Anthony Geary for the high-profile roles that were going to Michael Caine, Bob Hoskins, James Gandolfini (RIP), Steve Buscemi, or the "non-beautiful" successful actor you can think of.  

It's just as tough for the younger people who leave soaps. I remember Sarah Brown talking about how difficult an adjustment she found it when she left GH in 2001 and she was trying out for things. She said having won however many Daytime Emmys meant nothing. It might seem as though there were all sorts of parts out there for a woman under 30 who could act, but the competition is so fierce. I think it was the same with McCullough, Tyler Christopher, and others. Jonathan Jackson has had more success than most.  

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Asp Burger said:

The only thing I ever saw Geary in that wasn't a soap was a grade-Z Lorenzo Lamas action movie (was there any other kind?) on cable. He was a crime boss. I don't count his appearance on Roseanne as Luke Spencer.  

He was an above-average actor for a soap lead, I'll give him that. But Hollywood and the stages of the world are full of good actors, and a lot of them are conventionally good-looking. Or if not that, they're more usefully connected, better established, whatever. No one was going to think of Anthony Geary for the high-profile roles that were going to Michael Caine, Bob Hoskins, James Gandolfini (RIP), Steve Buscemi, or the "non-beautiful" successful actor you can think of.  

It's just as tough for the younger people who leave soaps. I remember Sarah Brown talking about how difficult an adjustment she found it when she left GH in 2001 and she was trying out for things. She said having won however many Daytime Emmys meant nothing. It might seem as though there were all sorts of parts out there for a woman under 30 who could act, but the competition is so fierce. I think it was the same with McCullough, Tyler Christopher, and others. Jonathan Jackson has had more success than most.  

Tony had a small role in a very early episode of All in the Family, several years prior to GH. The future Asa Buchanan, Phil Carey, was in the same episode.

I still can't believe Bob Hoskins has been gone for four years. May he RIP.

In case anyone else is counting, Sarah won three Emmys--two for Younger Actress in 1997 and 1998, and one for Supporting Actress in 2000 (it's crazy to think of Carly in either of those categories now--especially with Sarah in the role--but there you go). The only one she lost was in 1999, when she was still in the Younger Actress category; Heather Tom, then still on Y&R, won that one. (She was also eventually nominated for Lead Actress in 2010 for playing Claudia.) 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 2

As I have likely mentioned before, when KMc left back in the '90s, I remember some interview upon her later return, where she said she was actively encouraged to remove Daytime Emmy wins from her résumé. Because, for better or worse, daytime actors were considered full of tics and considered hammy, etc. May be unfair, but it is what it is, and I doubt the mindset has changed.

At least KMc did a couple episodes of The Shield among some other stuff, but I agree: With competition as fierce as it is, soap actors are often the last to be considered, if at all.

• Love 1

Speaking of which, what story did Kim win her first Emmy for? I know the second one in 1996 was for the AIDS story with Stone, but what about her first one in 1989 when she was eleven? Was it the story where Robin became catatonic after Grant Putnam shot and killed Philomena right in front of her face and took Anna hostage? Because the clip shown at the Emmys had her talking to Robert and Katherine Delafield about having issues with her hair which...doesn't strike me as Emmy worthy, you know? 

(edited)

Kim on the Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson (subbed here by Jay Leno, blerg) in 1988 to promote her role in a stage production of Les Mis. Part of her performance is at the beginning here (and part I mean about the last five seconds). 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

As I have likely mentioned before, when KMc left back in the '90s, I remember some interview upon her later return, where she said she was actively encouraged to remove Daytime Emmy wins from her résumé. Because, for better or worse, daytime actors were considered full of tics and considered hammy, etc. May be unfair, but it is what it is, and I doubt the mindset has changed.

At least KMc did a couple episodes of The Shield among some other stuff, but I agree: With competition as fierce as it is, soap actors are often the last to be considered, if at all.

F*cking judgemental. Tons of primetime and movie actors are hammy and full of tics as well. 

• Love 2

Especially when there a ton of movie actors who spent time acting in soaps. Oscar winning movie actors:

Tommy Lee Jones, Leonardo DiCaprio, Morgan Freeman, Julianne Moore to name a few.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Ambrosefolly said:

F*cking judgemental. Tons of primetime and movie actors are hammy and full of tics as well. 

I think the stigma isn't helped also no thanks to some names that hit it big but are practically mortified or are rumored to heavily scoff if their soap pasts are mentioned. See:

Meg Ryan (back in the day as she did a fade)

Robin Wright

Demi Moore

Just to name three.

Not everyone can be gracious and beholden to their roots like Nathan Fillion (who returned for his former character's grandfather's funeral on OLTL well after he made it big, or Julianne Moore, who, with even a steady movie career, returned to ATWT in its final week as her former character.

Maybe if there were more Fillions and (Julianne) Moores and less (Demi) Moores, Wrights and Ryans, the stigma would be less, too.

As an aside, I wonder where Oscar winner (years ago, but still) Marisa Tomei falls on the scale? I read she was on ATWT around the same time as Meg Ryan.

• Love 3
(edited)

Christopher Walken played Mike Bauer on GL when he was still a child.

Yes, really.

Judith Light has always praised her time on OLTL, as has Anne Heche for her time on AW. She even offered to return to the show in 1998 (back in her big movie role/Ellen dating days) when it looked like Jensen Buchanan might leave, to the apparent horror of her manager. 

And to keep it tied to GH, don't forget Mark Hamill! 

Janine Turner also played Demi Moore's sister on the show. 

Edited by UYI
(edited)
37 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

As an aside, I wonder where Oscar winner (years ago, but still) Marisa Tomei falls on the scale? I read she was on ATWT around the same time as Meg Ryan.

Former soap director Peter Miner once said that the reason that Marisa Tomei left ATWT in 1985 was because she found that she was merely trying to stay on top of her lines, and that wasn't what she wanted for herself as an actress. So it sounds like she at least respected the pace of soaps/the hard work involved in making them enough to know when she had to step away from it for her own sanity. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 2
On 7/20/2018 at 4:18 PM, rur said:

I think that contributed to a lot of his douchiness. He had been ruling the roost at GH, and when he left, he became just another average actor who wasn't even that good looking. Genie, in the meantime, was staying busy, both in soaps and other gigs, and, for better or worse, shows like "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" and "Entertainment Tonight" were producing features on her almost weekly. I think Geary was just plain jealous. 

And to keep this in the media thread, in case you're wondering about Geary's current life, here's an article from April. Hard to believe he was a heart throb. https://www.abc.soapsindepth.com/posts/general-hospital-anthony-geary-life-in-amsterdam-157806

I just had a flashback to this TV movie he did sort of at the height of L&L mania in which he played a doctor helping people understand STDs. Noble concept, but horribly hammy movie and performance. 

Just found the movie -- Intimate Agony, no less!! 

On ‎2018‎-‎07‎-‎20 at 2:18 PM, rur said:

Love the photo where the KFC is prominent behind him.

Where would GHer Amber Tamblyn fall on the future star scale? I feel like she is sometimes overlooked in terms of those who found greater fame after soaps, but she's as great an example as anyone else, certainly from this show. And while I haven't seen her talk about GH in a long time, she's seemed proud of it in the past. 

(edited)
1 hour ago, UYI said:

Where would GHer Amber Tamblyn fall on the future star scale? I feel like she is sometimes overlooked in terms of those who found greater fame after soaps, but she's as great an example as anyone else, certainly from this show. And while I haven't seen her talk about GH in a long time, she's seemed proud of it in the past. 

Tamblyn is definitely overlooked IMO. She is much more well known for the "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" movies than for GH. In recent history someone commented on Twitter about JJ, and Tamblyn replied that she had a crush on him when they worked together on GH and she still does.  I thought, what a sweet thing to say!

Side note for Tamblyn and Kimberly McC fans: Tamblyn starred as Joan in the TV series "Joan of Arcadia" after she left GH, and Kimberly guest starred in 2004 as Joan's brother Kevin's ex-girlfriend Beth. I forget if she was in more than one episode.

Edited by Bringonthedrama
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, UYI said:

So it sounds like she at least respected the pace of soaps/the hard work involved in making them enough to know when she had to step away from it for her own sanity. 

The pace is brutal. I was listening to Marc Maron's WTF podcasts with James Franco and Ray Liotta. Franco said he often had 90 pages a day to memorize. Part of that was because of his limited availability, but it's still a huge amount of information to deal with. Liotta said he was regularly memorizing 30 pages a day.

One of my favorite Harrison Ford anecdotes is when he was asked by James Lipton what actors he admired, Ford mentioned soap actors because of the pace of soaps and the fact they had to make the often ludicrous plots believable.

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Dial it down, Laura.  Everyone knows your boyfriend isn't going to get fired, so no need to push the audiences to root for an unrootable romance.

Can't be any worse that Franco and Liz.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, nilyank said:

Can't be any worse that Franco and Liz.

We-e-e-ll. I hate Franco, but BH and RH have chemistry and I can see how people could like them. So far, KSt and WR don't have much of a spark going on, but then, Maxie's husband had died and she was pregnant, so kind of hard to do that I suppose.

18 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Dial it down, Laura.  Everyone knows your boyfriend isn't going to get fired, so no need to push the audiences to root for an unrootable romance.

Does everyone? I'm not sure why there'd be some assumption that WR is untouchable just because he's going out with the leading lady. It's not like Carlivati is that loyal to anyone. His main objective seems to be keeping the cost of production down as low as possible by any means possible (horrific Colonel Sanders cameo.) I doubt he'd care that much (as much as he may like her) if he fired WR and LW decided to leave. They'd just hire the fifth actress to play Carly - or give TB the part back. Kelly Monaco is also one of their leading ladies and they're not treating her rumored boyfriend Billy Miller and they broke up Sam and Drew despite her obvious preference for the pairing.

Also, not sure why Peter and Maxie are necessarily unrootable. Not even thinking about current pairings like Liz and Franco, Sonny and Carly, Jason and Sam who have done disgusting things to each other, but pairings in the past, too. Alan dropped a house on Monica and they're still one of the most popular couples this show has ever had. Peter accidentally got Maxie's husband killed. On soaps, that's basically a silly misunderstanding.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

LWB/FS got Jason off of our screens for five years. How can that not be a plus?

Well that was Faison. Peter kept him alive instead of killing him like his father ordered him.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 7/22/2018 at 1:10 AM, UYI said:

And to keep it tied to GH, don't forget Mark Hamill! 

I will never forget the lovely letter he wrote to TV GUIDE after Emily McLaughlin passed.  He was a world-famous actor from STAR WARS, and he took the time to write heartfelt words of praise for a "lowly" soap actress.  To this day I think it showed absolute class on his part.

Edited by yowsah1
  • Love 4
(edited)
13 minutes ago, yowsah1 said:

I will never forget the lovely letter he wrote to TV GUIDE after Emily McLaughlin passed.  He was sitting on top of the world, fresh off of STAR WARS, and he took the time to write heartfelt words of praise for a "lowly" soap actress.  To this day I think it showed absolute class on his part.

Star Wars came out in 1977; EMcL didn't die until 1991. Still, enough had passed by then that that's still pretty remarkable. 

ETA: Never mind! 

Edited by UYI