Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

I'm going to miss DZ.  He was horribly underutilized but was one of those actors who was able to spin complete crap into something resembling gold. I honestly don't understand these writers.  MB clearly checked out over a decade ago.  He plays every scene EXACTLY the same way and it isn't good but the whole show seems to be centered around him.  Then you have real talent on the show.  DT, BM, DZ, are all actors who have talent and range.  They can play a wonderful husband then turn around and be a badass.  They can convey emotion without ever saying a word.  So what's the solution?  Bury them in the background or have them as a light support character. You get some great legacy characters like Kevin, Laura, Anna, Mac, and Robert and the solution is to either completely change and butcher the character (that would be Anna) or refuse to use them. Instead, we double down on one character who mumbles and stutters or throws things for each line. And then we really push the character who stares and blinks a lot.  Or focus on a girl who rolls her eyes and speaks sarcastically.  Sonny, Jason, and Carly would be fine on this show, but they need to have them be the support and move the support characters to the forefront.  It's all so backwards.

• Love 6
(edited)
8 hours ago, ulkis said:

I'm gonna quote @jsbt

And that was from before the show lost JE and GF.

And based on the mention of Morgan, before they even lost BC.

Not that that really matters, I'm just saying. ;)

7 hours ago, jsbt said:

tbh I think Dante and Maxie would be gross and bizarre. I couldn't get down with that.

Same. I know there are "guy falls for his girl's best friend" stories all the time in soaps (see: Johnny & Maxie, at the expense of Lulu), but this would feel like straight up incest* to me, for real. They've always felt like brother and sister to me. *shrug* 

*And not in the fun, Cassadine sense, either. ;)

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, ulkis said:

Chad is 30 going on 31,

LOL. I thought he was more Michael's age, in his mid-20s. 

11 hours ago, ulkis said:
11 hours ago, jsbt said:

Or maybe she's decided she has enough money so fuck it.

This is what I think. I hope so. I have no love for KMo, but anytime people ask where would she go I think "she doesn't have to go anywhere! To her scrooge mcduck tower to swim in her money!"

She could always do another burlesque show in Vegas. Or make the soap con rounds.

10 hours ago, jsbt said:
10 hours ago, ulkis said:

Do you really think he gives a shit about keeping ER though? 

I think he needs her as a female body to throw at someone - beyond that, no.

Doesn't she have a pretty solid fan base? I thought that was one of the reasons she was cast as Lulu in the first place. Regardless, the writing for her Lulu has been mediocre at best, and with DZ leaving, it's only going to nosedive further. If they don't recast Dante, write the family off. Lulu is pretty pointless as it is; without Dante, she has no reason to be around.

• Love 2

"When I gave birth on the show, I literally cried," she confessed. "It felt like the end of something that had been such a beautiful experience. For nine months I'd walked around with a fake baby belly, so it felt real!"

Alrighty then.

• Love 4

If BM really does leave, I hope Kemo does follow him out.   I read an article about soap stars net worths a while ago, and she was up there.  I personally don't think her heart is in it anymore.  It comes across as if she doesn't want to be in an onscreen love affair with Steve, and I don't like that.  People will say, oh she should do her job that's what she gets paid for.  But these days, I don't go with that.  God only knows what goes on behind the scenes that I don't know about.  If she doesn't want the pairing, and BM leaves, she has that fu money so good for her.  I really don't know if this is all because of her and BM's personal relationship, and I don't even know what that relationship is, but I have seen them do long internet questions from fans things, and those two are very very tight.  Whatever the particulars, they adore each other, friendship or more, who knows or cares.  But she is not there anymore.  She doesn't want the Jasam pairing.  

• Love 4

This is so sweet! A fan on Twitter shared a newspaper clipping about Frisco & Felicia's wedding in 1986--it looks like a real wedding announcement! And Kristina shared it, too!

• Love 2

As foolish as I think it was for FV to backburner Dante I do appreciate that if it weren't for him Dante wouldn't have interacted with vets that I wanted to see him with, like Laura and Robert and especially Anna. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I agree that Dante's material dried up years ago, but I'm not going to lament what should have been or wish for more. DZ had a great nine-year run. I find it hard to imagine another actor as this character he brought to life. When DZ had story, he rocked it. When he was just supporting, he was often the best thing in the scene. I loved his relationships with Aaron Refvem (the best of the Morgans), with both of the "grown" Michaels, with Lisa LoCicero's Olivia, with JMB's Lulu, with many others. He made me interested in a new retcon character who was plopped into Sonny's vortex of suck, and I liked Sonny no more in 2009 than I like him in 2018...maybe even less. But I even enjoyed many of Dante's scenes with Sonny. When he was "every-day Dante," I never complained. I would have needed every drug Nurse Mary Pat is forcing on Carly if they had worked some lesser actors as heavily as they worked him that one year.  

I hope his memories of working on General Hospital are mostly happy ones. If the show keeps chugging on and he ever wants to return, I'd happily welcome him back, but I really hope he lands something else that makes GH look like a long prelude. I see him as better for drama than comedy. It's a tough business, yes, but there's so much more TV out there now than there used to be: prestigious dramas on networks like FX and AMC, original programming from Netflix, etc. So I hope fortune smiles on him. Whatever happens, I thank him for doing such a great job with Dante.  

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Love 14
On 6/14/2018 at 11:25 PM, jsbt said:

Unless Kim McCullough comes back and says she is down for Jason/Robin and Steve agrees, the only thing that could break Jason and Sam is one of those two exiting again.

I honestly think Jason should end up alone. The writers are never going to allow him to love a woman or his own kids over Sonny/Carly/Michael, especially under SBu. So what's the point, really? And as has been evidenced by his return, Jason doesn't need a love interest, apparently a lot of people like that his character only literally kisses the asses of Sonny and Carly. They don't even need to see Jason actually kiss or long for a companion in a romantic way. How anti-soap, but here we are. 20 years later.

I also think the time to revisit Jason and Robin has passed by and that's partly unfortunate and a waste but also a blessing because I never needed to see Jason put Carly over Robin x 2. I always felt bad for Sam and Liz fans in that regard.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, HeatLifer said:

I also think the time to revisit Jason and Robin has passed by and that's partly unfortunate and a waste but also a blessing because I never needed to see Jason put Carly over Robin x 2. I always felt bad for Sam and Liz fans in that regard.

Yeah, Robin has lived a fulled life after her romantic relationship ended with Jason. She became a fabulous, famed doctor, fell in love with someone that she doesn't compare Jason to, and two beautiful children. Jason will always have a special place in her her heat as did Stone, but she is not the same young girl anymore.

• Love 4
(edited)

Probably unfair of me but MB liking tweets about how DZ should have gotten more kind of makes me roll my eyes. Call me crazy but I just have a feeling he wasn't suggesting to Frank before this that Dante should get more story. At best it was probably like, "hey write more scenes for DZ and me." (Not that MB is obliged to request for more story for anyone . . . maybe MB is down on the writing in general right now.)

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 7

Oh brother:

William deVry

@WilliamdeVry1

·

39m

Listen. Some of you think i block u cause i don't love #Julexis ? That is preposterous. Look in the mirror. Your hateful or misguided tweets r what get u blocked. I NEVER wanted #Julexis to go away. Never. But it did. I continue to do my job.

@WilliamdeVry1

·

31m

I am the 1st guy to PUBLICLY protect any and all my co stars as well as #GH as a whole. Don't think my protecting one is a slam on another. That is your wild speculation. It's a #Block day unfortunately.

It isn't that serious, de Vry.

Oh brother:

William deVry

@WilliamdeVry1

·

39m

Listen. Some of you think i block u cause i don't love #Julexis ? That is preposterous. Look in the mirror. Your hateful or misguided tweets r what get u blocked. I NEVER wanted #Julexis to go away. Never. But it did. I continue to do my job.

@WilliamdeVry1

·

31m

I am the 1st guy to PUBLICLY protect any and all my co stars as well as #GH as a whole. Don't think my protecting one is a slam on another. That is your wild speculation. It's a #Block day unfortunately.

It isn't that serious, de Vry.

Oh lord his girlfriend got involved.

Rebecca Staab

@rebeccastaab1

·

1h

Replying to @chowsheperd

Wil has NEVER said that he doesn't want to work with Nancy. EVER. The team worked because they work so well together. The two of them. Please stop with all this hysteria.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

@ulkis, pls explain what's going on? I feel like I'm missing context. I'm going to assume the Julexis fans are tweeting him OTT complaining that has nothing to do with him?

Yes. There was a BI that one actor didn't want to go back to their former pairing and a lot of Julexis fans assumed it's Wil because he, gasp, like some tweets that liked Kim and Julian. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Wild Bill deVry University rides again! That dumb couple is the only reason he has a job. That said, yes, fans are nuts.

Personally I don't think NLG wants to go back. I haven't read all her recent press but in most interviews I've seen since That Thing With The Dagger That Killed My Mother she sounds lukewarm at best.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 4

I think NLG wants anything that gives her a storyline of her own as oppose to propping Sam and other various characters. Sadly that's almost inevitably a romantic story.

The Alexis therapy story is the meatiest thing she's had in quite a while. She said in an interview a while back that she hopes the show takes it's time putting Julian and Alexis back together so while I don't think she would be opposed to Julexis, she'd like to do something different for a change.

It's not like there are a lot of alternative relationships available for Alexis.  Sonny/Alexis sank before it really started, Ned/Alexis played out years ago and he's now married to Olivia, Finn is Anna's and Bensch is a creep.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, statsgirl said:

She said in an interview a while back that she hopes the show takes it's time putting Julian and Alexis back together

That's her only diplomatic option if she doesn't want these crazy motherfuckers lighting her up at Ralph's Supermarket

• Love 5

She's not wrong, but some fans - and not just Julexis fans by any means - go way too far.

Though I think de Vry would do better to just block the people who harass him - or even those who just annoy him, it's his freakin' Twitter feed - without saying anything. Be like an old British aristocrat and "never complain, never explain."

• Love 3
On 6/15/2018 at 1:59 PM, dubbel zout said:

LOL. I thought he was more Michael's age, in his mid-20s. 

Michael and Kristina are late 20s. They were mid 20s a few years ago. 

(edited)
14 hours ago, ulkis said:

Hm.

And now I see why Will is over her. 

14 hours ago, Melgaypet said:

She's not wrong, but some fans - and not just Julexis fans by any means - go way too far.

Though I think de Vry would do better to just block the people who harass him - or even those who just annoy him, it's his freakin' Twitter feed - without saying anything. Be like an old British aristocrat and "never complain, never explain."

Yeah, fans go too far, for sure. I don't agree with NLG that the "fans are always right" and all she's accomplished now is riling up her own fanbase to continue to harass Will. There's something very shady about her behavior but I'll keep the rest to myself.

Edited by HeatLifer
  • Love 3
18 minutes ago, UYI said:

Hoping that's an inside joke between co-stars, rather than anything mean-spirited.

Come on, don't you think if I thought she was being mean I would have flipped out? :) She's joking . . . he replied "I think the lady doth protest too much."

• Love 2
Just now, ulkis said:

Come on, don't you think if I thought she was being mean I would have flipped out? :) She's joking . . . he replied "I think the lady doth protest too much."

I didn't think to look for his response. Oops. -_-

• Love 1
On 6/21/2018 at 10:06 PM, Melgaypet said:

True. NLG just blocked me with no big flowery speech about my preposterous accusations. But then again, how would I know? ;) 

• Love 2
(edited)

I agree with the "meatiest" sentiment re: Alexis's current story. This latest turn -- the light bulb of "What's wrong with me?"; delving into what she saw as a child, realizing she's repeating patterns, chasing one kind of guy and pushing another one away  -- is much better written than the alcoholism was. NLG was quite the cheerleader for the female head-writing duo that was in place when Alexis slid into alcoholism, but while her performance in that story was fine, she's been better in this, and frankly it's a truer development for this character. (Van Etten, probably?) She's playing it with a combination of exasperation and ironic humor, and there's the undercurrent that she has to figure out what's wrong because these issues have consumed a lot of her life, and she isn't getting any younger. She's delivering those monologues to Kevin beautifully. I especially loved the one in which she screwed up the order of her criminal lovers, and then corrected herself that Jerry Jacks hadn't put a knife to her throat -- maybe he had to somebody else -- that was Julian. 

De Vry shouldn't get down in the mud. The saying "Don't feed the trolls" is an oldie, but it's also a perennial.  

NLG does walk the walk, though. She's been through it all. She had a big target on her during Sexis. The Tamara/Carly fan base (how ironic, eh? The other actress involved in this current round) attacked NLG on every imaginable level. There was no Twitter back then, but they didn't lack for outlets, including shouting things at personal appearances. And through it all, NLG never outwardly sweated it. She'd get in little double-edged digs, like saying, "Boy, those Carly fans sure are devoted! I love their passion for the show and their favorite character. I wouldn't want to meet them in a dark alley!" You know, saying "admiring" things that got across that she thought they were overinvested loons. But I can't recall her ever truly responding in kind or acting aggrieved about it, or whining that she doesn't write the show, please leave me alone, et cetera. She knew and still knows that if they're attacking you, they're paying attention to you and raising your profile. She had her own die-hards to get down in the trenches for internet stupidity.  

(Yeah, I just implied that NLG is above internet stupidity. I'm aware that that's a gut-buster. But you know what I mean. When she saddles up for internet stupidity, she has grander things in mind.)

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Love 5

Great, now I may have to watch clips of an Alexis storyline on YT. Alexis, who hasn't been worth watching for over ten years! (With occasional exceptions along the way)

• Love 2
(edited)

Oh come on, Frank!  I mean, Patrick J. Gibbons was often a bright spot on OLTL as Sam, but we're casting new kids when we never see Calamari and Aspargus?  Ugh.

ETA...oh, I just saw the link about Calamari, I can't believe they're actually SORASing him.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 6