Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E14: I See You

Olivia continues to spy on Jake while the gladiators have to fend for themselves. Meanwhile, Susan and Mellie are feeling the pressure as their campaigns heat up; Abby begins to question Cyrus’ motives; and a blast from the past surprises everyone.

The moment Jake's fiancée told the story of how they met, I had flashbacks to how Jake met Liv.  Can't believe it took her a whole episode to realize how much the fiancée was a mark for Jake.

Happy for Red

Sad for Huck

Bored by Harrison-lite

Rooting for Quinn (a first!)

Love Susan Ross

Edited by Dr Epi
  • Love 1

Was that guy still alive, when Huck left him?

The little catch-up for the new guy, as to what Liv going to an island was all about, made me cringe. I hate it when they cram several seasons of storylines, into a few sentences, like a messy way to let new viewers know what's what (or remind the rest of us, and leave some of us wondering why we watch at all). Like Seattle Grace Mercy Death, on Grey's.

I like the new guy. I hope they don't corrupt him. I watched the previous episode earlier, and liked them doing the right thing. 

Just what we need: a fictional Trump.

I don't know how Olivia expects to up her surveillance on Jake, when he's been onto her all along. Not that I like him now. 

I don't know how Olivia expects to up her surveillance on Jake, when he's been onto her all along. Not that I like him now. 

She seems to be completely out of her league trying to spy on him. I don't like seeing Olivia out of her league.

I didn't know who to root for in the Olivia/Quinn showdown. I think they both seemed in the wrong.

• Love 3

I didn't know who to root for in the Olivia/Quinn showdown. I think they both seemed in the wrong.

Quinn was awesome. Just like Huck was when he told Olivia off earlier this season. They seem to be calling Olivia out more on how stupid she's become.

Olivia proclaim's family and OPA and how they're Gladiators and it's been such crap for so long. Where was she when Harrison died, she abandoned them all to go in the sun with Jake. Olivia is stalking Jake, she's having dinners with her psychopath father. Acting like Jake and her dad aren't up to anything. If it wasn't for Huck calling her out she would be still proclaiming how great they are when she knew Jake just murdered a man to be head of NSA.

Did Cyrus really expect to run a campaign and be COS at the same time? He couldn't do both.

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 5

Tell me again about Mellie's political acumen. Please tell me again how smart Mellie is and how the show should center her pathetic ass. Can we get back to Liv being a badass now please?

I see Quinn is still an ungrateful bitch...gah.

At least Annalise keeps bitches in line. Time for HTGAWM

• Love 4

Lord, Jake owned Olivia. "Textbook example of daddy issues"? Cheap, but effective.

I get that the shaky cam was for effect during the Quinn/Olivia confrontation, but it looked like a trashy reality show blowout, like Mob Wives or something.

Tell me again about Mellie's political acumen. Please tell me again how smart Mellie is and how the show should center her pathetic ass. Can we get back to Liv being a badass now please?

***shrug*** Mellie is one of the best characters on the show and it could always use more of her, even if the writing in this episode required her to be a moron. There was a lot of that going around in this episode. Like a woman sitting at a dinner table with her lover and his fiancee, the fiancee telling the story about how they met that's THE EXACT SAME PLOY HE USED TO MEET HER and the badass with the supposedly foolproof gut somehow failing to immediately recognize that fact, only catching on days later when he does the same thing right in front of her. Talk about pathetic.

Edited by TheOtherOne
  • Love 2

I stopped watching but the previews for this episode looked interesting, so I decided to tune in. I was done after 15 minutes.

What a mess Scandal has become. The characters are caricatures of themselves and the writing is tired.

Edited by mwell345
  • Love 2

One thing Olivia said that was true; she wasn't their babysitter. Why she had to say that to some grown ass people in the first place is completely ridiculous.

And Olivia telling Abby she would have to take off the white hat if she wanted to be COS. What white hat? The writers really need to quit with that.

Oh, and the real LOL moment when Jake told Olivia she use to be the smartest woman in the room.

• Love 4

Yeah I blame Mellie's "stupidity" on the alcohol, on the henny, if you will, chuckles. She's got to learn to fake that part, the social drink meeting. The most basic tween mean girl would never spill the beans to a guy like Hollis. Ugh. Pretty sure the combined effect of the alcohol and innuendo induced dry heaves kept her pretty head a spinning. But Mellie on Rage is fun to watch for me anyways, so I hope Liv makes her decision to unofficially officially work for/with her because she needs some serious help.

I applaud Abby's move-as much dirt as Cyrus has done I wouldn't exactly call that backstabbing, but Abby had better watch her back. And that does scare me-I like her:( The whole time she was deciding to monster up or not I was waiting to see Tom lurking in a corner somewhere. Yay for telling David he needed help tho I was interested in hearing what she would have made of all of that mess.

Was good to see Susan stand up to Fitz. Love that line about which room was suitable to yell at him in. I get that he feels protective towards her, but at a point that becomes insulting and stifling, and disrespectful to her office as well.

Liz and Jake...feels like there was some forward movement in that Liz thought she should let this go, but it's hard to believe she wouldn't have realized she and fiancee's intros to Jake were totally the same. So we're stuck in a holding pattern.

Good for Huck...he didn't kill the guy & is happy for his family.

Quinn & Liv. That convo was long overdue. In fact I wish it had happened earlier. So I was less affected than otherwise.

I want to watch the Susan Ross show. Also I want to go to the room where she is allowed to yell at the Presudent. BECAUSE SHE IS NOT DONE!!!!

I admit to not watching the show in awhile but when new guy asked Quinn if she had killed anyone my question was doesn't everyone still think she is the Molotov Mistress or has that moved on?

I like Abby so I am glad she is getting respect in the Oval even my The President.

The coverssation between Olvia and Quinn was long overdue. Quinn has been running the place for a long time while Olivia has been a selfish bitch doing whatever she wants for a long time.

Of course they are doing Trump especially when they have a character with history on the show who can pull it off. .

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1

Other than Susan and Abby, I hate all these people. Why do they do what they do? What do they want? What's their purpose, their motive?

They all have terrible lives, no joy, no satisfaction. Just mistrust and murder and backstabbing, and for what? I mean, if there was an end game - like getting their true love or making millions or ruling the world or something - but it's just the daily grind of misery. What's the point?

• Love 2

I want to watch the Susan Ross show.

The Susan Ross show might be enjoyable, but sadly, I believe it would be canceled in the middle of it's premiere episode.

As much as I enjoy Gregg Henry, who can bring the douchiness like no other actor alive, save for perhaps Mark Pellegrino, I really can do without Hollis Doyle pulling a Trump. One real life Trump is alls I can stand at the moment, I don't need to watch a fictional one.

Tell me again about Mellie's political acumen. Please tell me again how smart Mellie is and how the show should center her pathetic ass.

I have to co-sign on this. They always talk about how great Mellie is, but I have yet to see any proof of this greatness. As far as I can tell, the only impressive thing she has done is not mess herself on the Senate floor during her filibuster.

Loved Abby going Abby Unchained on Cyrus' tired ass. But I fear that she may have bitten off more than she can chew. I love Abby, but in a world of sharks, she's tuna.

Did Cyrus really expect to run a campaign and be COS at the same time? He couldn't do both.

I know Scandal is not realistic, but on the other hand sometimes they do take the drama to places they really don't need to. Such as just about everything involved with Cyrus and Vargas. I am pretty certain that Cyrus can go find a new Fitz to cultivate without all the cloak and dagger. He certainly doesn't need to engineer an incident that costs people their lives, and he really doesn't need to be secretive around Fitz.

No surprise that Jake is plotting something with his fiancée, but I have to say, I still don't see why the hell Liv should care? Let Jake play his little spy games, what the hell does that have to do with Liv?  

Speaking of Liv, I don't mean to minimize the trauma of being kidnapped, but was she actually tortured? I don't recall any torture going on during that tiresome plotline. She was being held captive, and threatened, but I don't recall any torture. I guess we could consider it psychological torture, but on this show we all know what they mean when they say torture, and it ain't mind games. Maybe someone can tell me different.

Edited by reggiejax
  • Love 1

Speaking of Liv, I don't mean to minimize the trauma of being kidnapped, but was she actually tortured? I don't recall any torture going on during that tiresome plotline. She was being held captive, and threatened, but I don't recall any torture. I guess we could consider it psychological torture, but on this show we all know what they mean when they say torture, and it ain't mind games. Maybe someone can tell me different.

AND, she left her captors with her hair all shiny and done, which made no sense at the time. But, hey. This show is not the one we fell in love with, Gladiators!

I love Susan Ross, I just fucking love her. There's no competition Rosen! None. Mellie made some dumb choices in this episode. She was too hungry, I understand the feeling but if you ask someone for help, nay beg someone for help with your campaign and they give it to you, you damnwell oughta listen to their advice, Liv was right on this one. Abby, I hope you sleep well at night because you didn't do anything wrong, Cyrus buried himself and it's time he is held accountable. It is a shame that Abby had to be the one to do it, he has been pretty decent to her (as decent as Cyrus can be to anyone I suppose) so in that sense it's sad.

Liv stalking Jake, a logical progression. I loved Liv and Quinn's interaction in this ep and that Huck finally let go of his family. I'm also surprised to say that I really enjoyed Fitz in this ep, I love that he backs down when a smart woman tells him how it is. This Fitz can stay. Also, any episode featuring only 4 lines from Rowan is a win in my book!

Love the Trump allegory, Shonda would be a fool not to jump into that given every terrible thing going on in the States right now. This puts Scandal in one of the most unique situations on tv and I am here for it.

She seems to be completely out of her league trying to spy on him. I don't like seeing Olivia out of her league.

I do, because then I get to see her get back in her league and that is FUN! It's why my favourite episodes of Buffy were always the last episode of season 2 and first episode of season 3. It's great to watch the heroes lose everything only to find that they didn't lose themselves and watch them claw their way back up again.

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 2

What mission?

The term is usually used for a con artist trying to get money from someone or a spy trying to turn someone/steal from someone, etc. Usually not something good.  And the victim is their mark. We don't know what Jake's mission is yet, but it's probably pretty bad.

A billionaire jerk loud mouth running for President. Shonda Rhimes certainly is creative!

that she is...come on, now! donald is enough for real life, do we really need tv version in the form of hollis? hate him.

Color me shocked, but I actually sort of like Fitz (for the first time EVER) now that he's actually doing something instead of just mooning after Olivia, moping about how unfair the world is, and completely absolving himself from all responsibility for being a massive asshat.  

I like Scott Foley, but Shona Rhimes writes the WORST plot lines for Jake.  First B316 and now... whatever this is.  Ugh.

Edited by Rancide

Yeah, when he first met Liv he was spying on her for Fitz.

Yup,and it was one part on Fitz' order and another part creepy fascination which is what I think is happening with Liv now.

I think there's a part of her that wants to stop whatever Rowan and Jake are doing but there's an even bigger part of her that doesn't like to see people move on from her and that part I think (moreso than the other) is what is motivating her on this stalker mission.

Liv is a lot more like her father than she realizes IMO and until she admits that she'll never fullybe able to defeat him or live without his approval.

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 1

It's interesting they're doing real-life Trump, because obviously Aaron Sorkin did the same thing on the West Wing all those years ago with Rob Ritchie's "plain-spoken" opponent (and George W. Bush caricature) in contrast to the more elitist (yet educated) Bartlett. Sorkin showed how you make being educated into a positive, not a negative. I found it half-impressive, half-Monday Morning Quarterbacking, so it'll be interesting to see how this story plays out.

What's funny is that Shonda is doing this now, because unlike the West Wing (which did this in 2002), the election cycle is still going on. Of course, Scandal goes off the air in a couple months, but It will be interesting to see if she lays out a "blueprint" to defeat a Trump-type character, as Sorkin did for Bush.

Yeah, I can't help but compare this to The West Wing final season too. I actually lost interest that year because the election took us away from the WW and characters we'd known, but I also liked Alan Alda's character, the moderate Republican (ha!), more than Jimmy Smits. At least neither one was cartoonish as Doyle and even Susan can be.

As much as I enjoy Gregg Henry, who can bring the douchiness like no other actor alive, save for perhaps Mark Pellegrino, I really can do without Hollis Doyle pulling a Trump. One real life Trump is alls I can stand at the moment, I don't need to watch a fictional one.

Ditto on Gregg Henry.  He's the perfect acting choice for a low life  like Hollis who was enough of a dipshit before Trump came along.  Now they've got a while new vein of scuzziness to mine.   Let's not forget Henry's portrayal of one the sleaziest, but also funniest "villains" alive, the immortal Val Resnick in Payback.

It's interesting they're doing real-life Trump, because obviously Aaron Sorkin did the same thing on the West Wing all those years ago with Rob Ritchie's "plain-spoken" opponent (and George W. Bush caricature) in contrast to the more elitist (yet educated) Bartlett. Sorkin showed how you make being educated into a positive, not a negative. I found it half-impressive, half-Monday Morning Quarterbacking, so it'll be interesting to see how this story plays out.

What's funny is that Shonda is doing this now, because unlike the West Wing (which did this in 2002), the election cycle is still going on. Of course, Scandal goes off the air in a couple months, but It will be interesting to see if she lays out a "blueprint" to defeat a Trump-type character, as Sorkin did for Bush.

Nothing against Shonda, I love Scandal and HTGAWM but I'm not sure she's in Sorkins league to be able to lay out a blueprint to defeating a Trump-type character. It'll be all soap opera and Olivia steering Mellie in a direction that works for the show, but has nothing to do with real life or real life politics. 

I am basically watching because of Susan Ross.  I want David to fall in love with her.  She would probably have to put on a dominatrix outfit and whip him for that, though.  

Olivia proclaim's family and OPA and how they're Gladiators and it's been such crap for so long. Where was she when Harrison died, she abandoned them all to go in the sun with Jake. Olivia is stalking Jake, she's having dinners with her psychopath father. Acting like Jake and her dad aren't up to anything. If it wasn't for Huck calling her out she would be still proclaiming how great they are when she knew Jake just murdered a man to be head of NSA.

SO. MUCH. THIS.

I fell asleep. I only saw the dinner scene with Jake, Random Chick, Daddy Scenery Chewer, and then Liv settling down to creep on Jake and Random Chick (I really don't give a shit what her name is). I neglected to watch online to see what I missed. It was then that I realized that I just don't care anymore. 

No wonder this show (and HTGAWM) is hemorrhaging viewers, while Grey's remains fairly consistent. It's mind numblingly stupid. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 1

Can someone please remind me, because I feel like I must've missed a scene or line or something from late last season or early this season. Why isn't Huck in contact with Kim and Javi anymore? I remember at the end of last season, she was going to testify about B613 and then everything went crazy and Huck went crazy. But was part of the deal that they would go into witness protection? Did she decide to move? Did he tell them to move? I just remember earlier this season he mentioned setting up cameras to spy on Javi's soccer game, and I didn't understand why he was no longer talking to them.

It took me weeks of seeing Jake's girlfriend to realize it's Ava Crowder from Justified.  Damn.  Talk about a complete departure from one character to another.  Well Played.  (Though I would love to see her go 100% Ava on both Jake and Liv - those two both suck and deserve each other.) Run, Ava!

• Love 1