Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

Bolding mine

But, aren't there TLC cameras with them in Central America?

I assumed they'd be part of anything that TLC chose to foist upon the viewing public.

Honestly don't know if TLC is in Central America with the Dullards. Have assumed they are there, and probably having a nice relaxing time overall. There's no real missionary work to film. And how often can you film a riveting Spanish lesson? LOL. Or going to an open-air market? In the end I don't care how excited some of the humpers are. This show has no chance of lasting more than a season or two. UNLESS things are really shaken up and we see the 18-and-older kids doing what all other 18-and-older kids are permitted to do. Live their own lives and not what their parents have decreed for them. Some people might watch then.

TLC has Clinton and Stacy but they chose NOT to use a real stylist for the Duggar's shoot? Fail!! Would it have been that difficult to get them to have nice clothes and be color coordinated like the Bates? I notice that the Bates girls have a lot of dresses from Pennys. You can get really good deals there with coupons ($10 off of $25) and not look like you dragged it out of the dirty laundry hamper.

• Love 4

Don't worry everyone! Derick has got the Zika virus thing covered!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCQ7JyWGCeq/?taken-by=derickdillard

i noticed that one of the commenters said that the microcephalacy was actually caused by a vaccine, not Zika (and, of course, referred to people who didn't know this bit of "wisdom" as uninformed or stupid).

I wonder if this is the "real story" being spread among Gothardites?

I think that Jill would -- in theory -- LOVE to have a baby with microcephalocy. That would allow her to prove to the world how willing she is to "let the Lord decide" about her family. At least Derick knows about Zika, and is willing to take some, minimal, precautions to protect his family.

• Love 1

So it's some new vaccine?  What is it exactly and why is it only affecting the same area as Zika?  Also if viruses don't work that way why all the birth defects from Rubella?  Gothard pretend education is a marvelous thing to behold. 

If possible I think Derick is looking worse.  Beards are one thing, but the deserted island look is another.  I wonder if Michelle and Jim Bob keep talking and talking about how Erin and Whitney are expecting again and telling her she needs to uphold the family honor.

• Love 8

So it's some new vaccine?  What is it exactly and why is it only affecting the same area as Zika?  Also if viruses don't work that way why all the birth defects from Rubella?  Gothard pretend education is a marvelous thing to behold. 

If possible I think Derick is looking worse.  Beards are one thing, but the deserted island look is another.  I wonder if Michelle and Jim Bob keep talking and talking about how Erin and Whitney are expecting again and telling her she needs to uphold the family honor.

I bet they have. Imagine the lewd comments Boob could have made to Derick and Jill when he and JChelle were visiting, and maybe even a putt-putt style demo. (Off to procure a bath of brain bleach. Thank you to whomever invented brain bleach. I hadn't heard of it until I started reading this forum.)

Edited to add a missing word.

Edited by Obsidian
  • Love 1

If possible I think Derick is looking worse.  Beards are one thing, but the deserted island look is another.

Seconded, If he's not aware of how he comes off to others, he's gone off the deep end. This a college educated man, who once held a professional job for the company he now buys insecticide from.

• Love 7

The few comments I saw on his Instagram post were brutal.  Where did the Humpers go?

I wouldn't wish this on any baby.  I hear that many of the babies are effected so that they feel pain and cry and scream all the time.  Brains can cause a multitude of defects.  How horrible.  Mothers are dumping many of them wherever they can because they can't cope and can't bear to see the suffering.  Jana doesn't need this, Jill.

• Love 7

The few comments I saw on his Instagram post were brutal.  Where did the Humpers go?

I only saw one NOT-brutal comment, Micks. The rest really are brutal. Except for the one that made me LOL: "Please don't get pregnant down there!" I assume they meant don't get pg with the Zika threat - when in actuality, we've all pretty much been channeling Jill since Izzy "please don't get pregnant down there". Not sure why I even care, but I would just feel like I won some sort of personal victory if she nor Jessa were pregnant again for a very long time. Or maybe ever.

• Love 2

Leghumper comment:

"To the person that mentioned them trying to convert Catholics.....whether you are catholic or any other religion if you haven't accepted Jesus you can't go to Heaven."

I mean I'm laughing, but my smile isn't quite reaching my eyes.

ETA

"You look good. Trying to look more native?"
I've seen lots of leghumpers saying Derick is just trying to look "more native." It's funny until you start thinking about how far gone these people really are.

Edited by Aja
  • Love 10

Leghumper comment:

"To the person that mentioned them trying to convert Catholics.....whether you are catholic or any other religion if you haven't accepted Jesus you can't go to Heaven."

ETA

I've seen lots of leghumpers saying Derick is just trying to look "more native." It's funny until you start thinking about how far gone these people really are.

I swear if you want to see the finest examples of ignorance and bigotry, just read the comments on the Duggars' Facebook page.

• Love 7

Bolding mine

Leghumper comment:

ETA

That's insulting to the "natives" who have, imho, looked better groomed than this latest look of Derrick's.

And maybe it's the camera angle but, dayum, his arm looks skinny.

• Love 4

Bolding mine

That's insulting to the "natives" who have, imho, looked better groomed than this latest look of Derrick's.

And maybe it's the camera angle but, dayum, his arm looks skinny.

It's extremely offensive and insulting. It's also ignorant and selfish. Our families (my husbands and my own) have done a lot of short term mission work. Internationally, His catholic *gasp* high school went to Mexico every spring, and there was usually a Costa Rican summer trip. I've been several times to Northern Mexico, and to Kenya. He went to Haiti as an adult twice. He has a cousin who is a full time priest in India. We went together to Poland and Mexico. He's done some unofficial work (helping wth wells, widows, etc, with relatives) in Italy/Sicily. We have a good grasp on catholic and Protestant missions, and the ones who are there for spiritual guidance (priest) as well as those who build wells, teach, etc, and the minute of the two.

Now that you've read my foreign mission short resume, the fist thing you learn with DECENT groups is to be considerate of the culture you are visiting. Don't presume your idea of cleanliness, happiness, wealth, etc is theirs. Don't presume that mothers in some rural parts of India are dirty bc they don't use diapers and babies under two are often seen with no bottoms. It's easier to clean and more sanitary stay dry. Don't presume mother who breast feed toddlers in the middle of church in Costa Rica are not modest. Don't presume born again Christians in Poland who meet at pubs/bars for Bible study and drink beer are being sinful.

Do presume that if the rural Kenyan women think good, decent, God fearing women wear skirts, and won't go near you if you are in pants. Do presume the Mexican children who prefer strawberry cookies to chocolate know exactly what chocolate is, they just prefer strawberry.

And bringing it back to the Duggars, for heavens sake, don't presume you are on a camping vacation and can dress and groom like an American homeless person bc you see Palm trees. The people in all the pics with Derrick look clean (dusty feet don't count) and neat. Their clothes may not be brand new by American standards, but they all lookblkke they made the effort to put on clean clothing. No one's hair looks dirty or uncut. They don't look like strung out yeti who have been camping for a week.

I can't imagine how Derrick is taken seriously with that bedraggled appearance. I imagine he gets a lot of 'bless your heart' looks and the novelty of American TV personalities may draw people in, but he has a lot to learn about cultural integration and awareness.

• Love 22

I think the Dullards are aiming for the hipster look. Maybe to appeal to that segment of TLC viewers (doubt there are many hipsters watching but who knows). Hipsters have a calculated look and takes some effort, it isn't just grow a beard. Their hairstyle is often that longish on top, very short on the side look, very groomed. Jessa and Bin are the mainstream couple I suppose.

Edited by sometimesy
  • Love 2

Okay, we seem to be going down the ole off topic drain by discussing what Duggar supporters have posted on facebook, twitter, etc. etc. The mods have brought out our trusty can of lets remind the poster of what the Duggars In the Media and TLC thread is all about Drain-O. Please take the discussion some where else or we will call in the plumber to handle the leghumpers clog. The mods will pull the plug by hiding or deleted the off topic leghumper obstruction in the thread pipes. Thank you.

So no Michelle, no Jill, even though Jill had the first baby. Jessa is clearly TLC's matriarch in training.

If I were Jessa, I'd sleep with one eye open.

I seriously misread this as "If I were Jessa, I'd sleep with everyone."  And I thought to myself "If it got her back on TeeVee, I reckon she would."

• Love 6

I am so. NOT interested in a Jessacentric show.

Even if she's just giving makeup tips 24/7. She's mean and a bully, and doesn't merit the center of attention and an income from TV. You know she'll rub it into the rest of their faces that's she's supporting everyone, even though she's still riding coat tails.

Edited by RazzleberryPie
  • Love 5

I seriously misread this as "If I were Jessa, I'd sleep with everyone." And I thought to myself "If it got her back on TeeVee, I reckon she would."

Ha sadly I think you're right. Even though they're not a TV family and all.

• Love 2

If you don't like it, Jessa will change! She's very eager to please these days.

I so, so wish she was capable of stepping outside herself and taking a good, long look. Aw hell, that'll never happen, there's selfies that need to be taken!

• Love 3

Since the announcement of the return to TLC, I've noticed a significant increase in posts on various online sites from the leghumpers/booger eaters saying, "LEAVE THIS FAMILY ALONE!"

Uhh - that's a little difficult when they are on a constant mission to keep their names/faces out there in the public eye.

Total logical disconnect.

• Love 5

Again, there's NO indication from that article where Smuggar is. The linked article about the love letters is from last December. I think ET is hoping that their readership are as lazy and uncritical thinkers as they appear to be in their misleading reporting. 

• Love 2

Also posted to the Josh and Anna thread as I wasn't sure where this should go.

http://www.etonline.com/news/183727_josh_duggar_parents_share_birthday_message_while_he_remains_in_rehab/

Josh is apparently still in Jesus Jail, where he can also apparently access Facebook to read his parents' message to him??  (or wait, did they just post that for everyone ELSE to see?)

That was posted on the "Duggar Family Official" page yesterday for all to see (and to snark on).

Your best days can be ahead of you."

What the heck does that even mean?

This family has a curious relationship with grammar.

They could have gone with, You can make the days ahead your best, or something.

• Love 3

Your best days can be ahead of you."

What the heck does that even mean?

This family has a curious relationship with grammar.

They could have gone with, You can make the days ahead your best, or something.

Why did they post that personal message to Josh in the first place?  If he's not allowed anywhere near a computer, how is he supposed to read that?

• Love 7

Why did they post that personal message to Josh in the first place?  If he's not allowed anywhere near a computer, how is he supposed to read that?

An excellent point. Which leads me to believe they didn't intend it for Josh at all, but for the public - and of course mostly for the leghumpers. As always...

• Love 3

Why did they post that personal message to Josh in the first place? If he's not allowed anywhere near a computer, how is he supposed to read that?

Exactly. It was never intended for Josh at all.

An excellent point. Which leads me to believe they didn't intend it for Josh at all, but for the public - and of course mostly for the leghumpers. As always...

"They're so caring and love their children! Why, there's so many YouTubes and Facebook messages for them! What a close and wonderful family!"

:looks for barf bag:

It would be lost on the Duggars that somewhat normal families have the ability to express their affection to each other without taking to social media or a video camera to do so.

Speaking of the Duggars, we were treated to 2398470328748 commercials for the upcoming season last night on Say Yes To The Dress. I don't want to see the Duggars on my television screen again. I really don't care about their "journey".

TLC is trying so desperately to reboot this franchise. Here's a hint, Executive Vice President of Programming Nancy: Putting your eggs in the Jessa Blessa basket is going to blow up in your face, if it hasn't already.

• Love 8

And the scurrilous gossip columnist at Crazy Days and Nights has a little "blind item reveal" for all today. Note the identities of those involved are carefully concealed. Do you wonder why?

http://www.crazydaysandnights.net/2016/03/blind-items-revealed-8-100.html

January 9, 2016

This religious family who loves cable and babies is about to take a big hit because a son-in-law had sex several times with his sister-in-law during the holiday season. A tabloid knows. The family is trying to make a deal.

The Duggars

• Love 3

And the scurrilous gossip columnist at Crazy Days and Nights has a little "blind item reveal" for all today. Note the identities of those involved are carefully concealed. Do you wonder why?

http://www.crazydaysandnights.net/2016/03/blind-items-revealed-8-100.html

January 9, 2016

This religious family who loves cable and babies is about to take a big hit because a son-in-law had sex several times with his sister-in-law during the holiday season. A tabloid knows. The family is trying to make a deal.

The Duggars

"a son-in-law"= It has to be Ben or Derrick. Which one?

"his sister-in-law"= Jinger, Joy or Jana. Which one?

• Love 1

So they're willing to throw a couple more daughters under the bus and cover it up for the sake of a TLC paycheck? As fascinated I am by the idea of it, I'm skeptical - and I say that as one who believes these blind gossips more than most people probably do! I can't imagine Jessa not burning shit down if Ben slept with her sister (or Anna) except for the lure of the money and TV show.

• Love 3

Jinger and Bin. Binjer.

Who can forget those pix with their beaming longing looks?

Or, as a long shot, Derrick and Jana.

Frankly, I can't imagine any in-law hook-ups.

But, if it happened, wonder if they used any kind of birth control.

Jinger and Bin. Binjer.

Who can forget those pix with their beaming longing looks?

Or, as a long shot, Derrick and Jana.

Frankly, I can't imagine any in-law hook-ups.

But, if it happened, wonder if they used any kind of birth control.

I agree that Ben and Jinger seem the most likely pair, but it just seems so far fetched when she was raised to believe that holding hands and kissing as being "too far" for unmarried people.

I think a son and daughter-in-law is more likely -- a hopelessly horny son (like JD, Joseph, or Josiah) comforting Anna.

• Love 5