Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

Gil is just as amoral and self-serving as Jim Bob; the only difference is that he's better at hiding it behind a cheerful, reassuring façade. Jim Bob covered up the molestation of his daughters; Gil Bates covered up the rape of other people's daughters.

Yes. Thank you. Whenever people start in on how great the Bates family is compared to the Duggars and what wonderful parents they are, this is what goes through my mind.

Jim Bob Duggar covered up molestations within his own family which was a horrible thing to do. But Gil Bates knew about multiple molestations of girls and women, all happening under his nose for several decades, and he not only ignored them but helped cover them up and kept making excuses for and protecting the perpetrator. Jim Boob is a dick but far more people have been hurt by Gil Bates' actions and inactions.

• Love 19

And Gil Bates has daughters of his own who presumably moved in Gothard's orbit at times. Were they off limits, nudge nudge wink wink? How fathers of daughters, ESPECIALLY, don't shake off the brainwashing and do something is impossible to understand. Maybe Jill (?) on Megyn Kelly was very sadly right when she said these things "and worse" happen a lot. Lots of us here assumed that meant it happens in their circle, which is her only frame of reference. Looks like we were correct. Do they all think it's kind of...normal??

How did a repressed and nasty little fuck like Gothard ever gain so much influence?? Jim Jones was a bit charismatic, at least, until he went totally batshit.

• Love 14

And this is what really bugs me when people compare Gil and Kelly Bates to Jim Bob and Michelle, saying that the Bateses are so much more normal, so much better parents, so much nicer than the whacked-out Duggars. Baloney. Gil Bates is a Board Member who has known for years about Bill Gothard's sexual abuse of young girls and did nothing to stop it. He and the other members of Bill's inner circle worked hard to cover it up and protect the leader. When their backs were to the wall and they couldn't avoid taking some kind of action, they conducted a bogus internal "investigation" and allowed Gothard to step down (and I still think the plan was always to bring Bill back once the fuss had died down). And they're still denying and shaming the victims. Gil is just as amoral and self-serving as Jim Bob; the only difference is that he's better at hiding it behind a cheerful, reassuring façade. Jim Bob covered up the molestation of his daughters; Gil Bates covered up the rape of other people's daughters.

Thank you for pointing out what was obvious to me as well.
  • Love 8

How did a repressed and nasty little fuck like Gothard ever gain so much influence??

It is strange, isn't it?  I kind of wonder whether, in marketing speak, he might have had a unique selling proposition for a very specific target market. He has repeatedly and in great detail promised insecure, fearful, non-empathetic, arrogant men that he could put each of them in total charge of an extremely well-drilled army. Furthermore, each army would not only carry on its progenitor's name and obey his every whim and sing him praises for his umbrella of protection that sets them above all other children but also bring him glory in paradise as they participate in that final big battle for Christ to win the earth. .... I mean, who needs charisma -- especially from another guy -- when you're going to get your complete heart's desire? And he's got the volumes upon volumes of manuals and books and video presentations and conference programs and special curricula that will provide you with every detailed instruction you need to get this done.

Of course, what he's really got is an expensive con game, grift and ponzi scheme that'll cost you thousands and thousands of dollars and leave you with dozens of unemployable children and unammariable [EMLTA: unmarriageable (unammariable?? What??)] would-be SAHMs who are all dependent on you for life ( likely including many who'll hate your guts after a while, in many of the armies). But as long as he kept that marketing flowing into these guys' heads, a lot of them haven't noticed that result creeping up on them.

And while the marks are feeding the ponzi scheme, BG is raking in the cash, the barefoot young curly-haired girls to feed his fetish, and the drunkenness of power. Truly an entrepreneur to envy.

It'd be funny if it weren't so damned horrifying.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 23
And this is what really bugs me when people compare Gil and Kelly Bates to Jim Bob and Michelle, saying that the Bateses are so much more normal, so much better parents, so much nicer than the whacked-out Duggars.

Bingo ! Even though the Bateses are far, far more palatable and sometimes downright pleasant to watch I have to remind myself that the psychopathology at work within the entire Gothard crowd is pretty much uniformly hurtful, misogynistic, and predatory. Even JB and his carnival barker, hyuk-hyuk "I'm a Goober for Jesus !" bullshit is a well-crafted act that has been fooling people for decades.

But Gil Bates, in his down-home, likable, charming husband and father role, is a thousand times more insidious, as another poster (whom I can't remember - I'm sorry !) noted earlier somewhere on this board so brilliantly. He's the "guy next door" who is also a monster. 

That's the problem with monsters - they don't always look the part. We want them to have horns and a tail and red, glowing, laser-beam eyes, but more often than not they look just like you and me. 

• Love 20

Fun in Fundieland.  My favorite Larsen is a group of cows in a cabin, gathered for a party with some eats and music, but obviously upset and saying, " what to do, I'm confused," and then through a window one cow saw the savior and said Oh thank God, the border collie is here.

I actually asked for my Christmas present to be the complete Far Side so that I could own that one cartoon, and a few others, forever, hardbound.  And the fire didn't get them.  Hurray.

• Love 10

I know that photo was put up during the Duggar's hibernation following Josh's first scandal, and it is nice to see Michelle in natural hair, without the curled, over sprayed mullet.

I cannot believe they let the weeds and grass go untrimmed right around their front door! I imagine the whole 20 acres must be knee high by now.

The commentors are asking if the wreath is construed from Duggar women's pantyhose!!!

Edited by louannems
  • Love 2

Millions of people chose to watch the specials, they were by far the top rating TLC show in the Christmas season, there is an audience, people want to see the Duggars on TV. People are free to watch the Duggars and free to not watch the Duggars. I am an adult, and I'm frankly offended by the pearl-clutching boycotters who think I need to be shielded from the Duggars. Don't like the TLC's programming? Don't subscribe and pay for it.

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 5

Boycotts are a legitimate form of consumer activism and protest. I have grave doubts about the efficacy of media boycotts, speaking as someone who's participated in a couple myself, but there's nothing inherently wrong with them. I might disagree with the principle behind a particular boycott, like when Linda Harvey tried to stage a boycott of any and all LGBT-friendly companies. Meh. Boycott away, Linda! I'm not offended if she wants to angle for a boycott. Offended by her beliefs, sure. The boycott? No.

So it really just depends on whether one thinks the impetus behind the Duggar boycott is worthy or not. I personally think sweeping child molestation under the rug (and not wanting to give such people a public platform) is worthy of such outrage, although a) I'm not participating in this one and b) I wish these people had been willing to jump on the train when Michelle Duggar was equating transgender people with child molesters.

A boycott is just about rounding up and mobilizing the people who believe the way you do. In a similar vein to "no one's forcing you to watch," one's forcing you to participate in the boycott. "But people who want a boycott are trying to take away the show from other people!" But if enough people feel the way you do, then the boycott will fail. If enough people are on board for the boycott that the show loses viewers and is canned, well, shows are canned all the time due to a loss in viewers. 

ETA: Of course the Duggar boycott will fail. I think this forum alone shows that in addition to the leg-humpers, there are also a lot of people who will continue to watch the show out of morbid fascination. Not to mention the people saying they wouldn't watch probably weren't watching anyway. I can't say that I'm participating in a boycott when I wasn't watching the show regardless. It's not like my viewership was ever going to them in the first place, so they're not losing out on anything. Just like how I never participated in any Chick-fil-A boycott because there weren't any Chick-fil-A restaurants around to begin with.

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 11

Boycotts are a legitimate form of consumer activism and protest. I have grave doubts about the efficacy of media boycotts, speaking as someone who's participated in a couple myself, but there's nothing inherently wrong with them. I might disagree with the principle behind a particular boycott, like when Linda Harvey tried to stage a boycott of any and all LGBT-friendly companies. Meh. Boycott away, Linda! I'm not offended if she wants to angle for a boycott. Offended by her beliefs, sure. The boycott? No.

So it really just depends on whether one thinks the impetus behind the Duggar boycott is worthy or not. I personally think sweeping child molestation under the rug (and not wanting to give such people a public platform) is worthy of such outrage, although a) I'm not participating in this one and b) I wish these people had been willing to jump on the train when Michelle Duggar was equating transgender people with child molesters.

A boycott is just about rounding up and mobilizing the people who believe the way you do. In a similar vein to "no one's forcing you to watch," one's forcing you to participate in the boycott. "But people who want a boycott are trying to take away the show from other people!" But if enough people feel the way you do, then the boycott will fail. If enough people are on board for the boycott that the show loses viewers and is canned, well, shows are canned all the time due to a loss in viewers.

ETA: Of course the Duggar boycott will fail. I think this forum alone shows that in addition to the leg-humpers, there are also a lot of people who will continue to watch the show out of morbid fascination. Not to mention the people saying they wouldn't watch probably weren't watching anyway. I can't say that I'm participating in a boycott when I wasn't watching the show regardless. It's not like my viewership was ever going to them in the first place, so they're not losing out on anything. Just like how I never participated in any Chick-fil-A boycott because there weren't any Chick-fil-A restaurants around to begin with.

When non viewers mobilize to organize a boycott, isn't the aim essentially to prevent actual viewers from watching?

I found the old show to be entertaining, but also very banal. I just can't comprehend how continuing their inane adventures, e.g. with a trip to a lumber yard, is in any way threatening or harmful to anyone.

• Love 1

IMO, continuing to televise this family as those happy whacky Christians helps legitimize the Gothard cult and the multiple abuses he and his followers are committing to young people of all ages.

It's one thing, however awful, for the Duggars to brainwash their own children into unemployable breeders who will never be capable of independent adult lives, but to have them tacitly bless abuse in the name of the Lord is beyond contemptible.

Shame on TLC.

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 23

When non viewers mobilize to organize a boycott, isn't the aim essentially to prevent actual viewers from watching?

I found the old show to be entertaining, but also very banal. I just can't comprehend how continuing their inane adventures, e.g. with a trip to a lumber yard, is in any way threatening or harmful to anyone.

On an outward appearance, it all looks perfectly benign. In my opinion, it sends the message of 'Hey, it's okay to call trangender people child molesters even though we have a child molester in our sweet preshus family and hid it for years! Look at us, we got our show back!!!'

Or even, 'We have our platform to espouse our Godly, Christian values even though our son "allegedly" pays hookers for sex. You should totally listen to what we have to say about being Godly, wholesome, MODEST Christians! BTW, check out our ministry and donate $$$ to Jill's totally legit missioncaton!'

• Love 20

I had friends in college who always wanted to go grocery shopping with me because I knew all the politics of the companies whose products they were considering buying. For me, that is the primary purpose of a personal boycott--to keep from giving my money to a company whose politics I find abhorrent. To that end, I never buy Vanity Fair paper goods, Eden Foods anything, or eat at Chik-fil-A, among other personal boycotts. I am a bit ashamed that I have never been able to quit watching the Duggars but as I am not a Nielsen family and TLC comes with my cable package, I find some (red-faced, acknowledging being wrong) excuse. Knowing your enemy, perhaps?

• Love 8

I am a bit ashamed that I have never been able to quit watching the Duggars but as I am not a Nielsen family and TLC comes with my cable package, I find some (red-faced, acknowledging being wrong) excuse. Knowing your enemy, perhaps?

Hey, I don't think we're obligated to boycott everything out there under the sun that is ethically/morally dubious. Otherwise we might just end up living in a cave somewhere. I don't care if someone decides that a specific boycott is not for them; I only roll my eyes if they act like those who do choose to participate are bad because ~economic terrorism~ (which is an excuse I've actually heard). 

Plus, I mean, the point of a boycott is to send a message to the company. If you're not a Nielsen family, your consumption doesn't really matter in that sense, I'd think? Which is another reason why I don't think the Duggar boycott will work; how many of the people pledging to boycott are Nielsen families? 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 2

It's only going to make TLC look even worse if they continue with the Duggars and another scandal or something comes out so I say let them do it and fall on their face again if need be. As more of these kids come of age, the likelihood that one of them breaks free and/or is enticed with some sort of tell-all deal increases. With all the legal stuff going on with Gothard/IBLP, I really wouldn't be surprised to find something happened involving one or more Duggar kid when they were sent away and theres no way TLC will be able to play dumb and claim they had no idea anything was amiss in FundieLand.

Edited by Buggin
  • Love 4

Wasn't Jana one of Gothard's foot soldiers for Jesus? I distinctly remember her being part of another tranche of accusations against him a few years ago, but I don't know if that was just a rumor, or a pretty confirmable rumor.

• Love 3

Wasn't Jana one of Gothard's foot soldiers for Jesus? I distinctly remember her being part of another tranche of accusations against him a few years ago, but I don't know if that was just a rumor, or a pretty confirmable rumor.

Yeah, I vaguely remember Jana going to some retreats without her siblings...Journey to the Heart was one.

I think poor Jana was pushed the most into Gothard and was the most involved of all the girls. Someone else might remember more.

• Love 1

It's confirmed in the book they allegedly wrote:

"But during the last year or so God has also opened a door for me (Jana) to serve in a ministry called Journey to the Heart. I’ve stepped back from my work as a first responder and as a birthing coach because my work with Journey usually requires quite a bit of my time.

Journey is a program for young people—teenagers and young adults, plus a new program designed for moms—offered by the Institute in Basic Life Principles (IBLP). It can be presented in different settings and for different lengths of time; in fact, most recently, Jessa, Jinger, and I worked as leaders and assistants in a seven-day Journey to the Heart seminar in a high-security prison in Florida (Jinger will tell you more about that later).

(excess prattle removed)

We Duggar girls had our first experience with Journey to the Heart in 2009, and we were blessed to have our sister-in-law Anna’s sister Priscilla as our leader. Journey leads participants to study eighteen “heart conditions” described in the Bible, both good conditions (like a pure heart, humble heart, or forgiving heart, for example) and bad conditions (for example, a “murmuring heart” focused on negativity and complaining). This journey helps participants focus on getting their heart “right” with the Lord and understanding His heart’s desire for them. In addition, powerful video messages and testimonies help attendees understand who God is, and they learn how to trust Him more fully. As a Journey leader, I get to see God working in the hearts of these individuals, and there’s just no experience like it."

• Love 4

Normally I watch things online on legitimate sources, because I do give a damn about intellectual property.  HOWEVER, I will only ever watch Anything Duggar on sites like youtube...  

Although one could argue that there is nothing intellectual about that particular property....

• Love 9

Filming again, huh TLC ? Wow, it really is only about the money, isn't it? Sad.

Despite having not watched the show for a very long time (an occasional peek in only), I enjoy the snark on this site and the forum members. Recently though, I feel like even participating here somehow benefits these idiots.

It still astonishes me that this uneducated, arrogant clan has continued to generate interest. Curiosity and thinking that another scandal will surface are the only reasons I give them a passing glance. 

• Love 7

She's been to Journey to the Heart a ton. Both as a participant and a group leader. A ton. To what degree that implies similar "burn the heretic!" issues to those presumed to have oft sent Josiah to ALERT, nobody seems to have any idea.  Perhaps, instead, she's always been a super-true-believer. I kind of doubt that that would be the whole story, though, given Michelle's apparent kind of miasma of annoyance regarding Jana....  But who knows?

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 1

That Journey to the Heart nonsense? I am...gobsmacked...at how stupid someone has to be first, to come up with all that garbage, and second, and worse, "STUDY" it.

Is there not a single functioning bullshitometer in all of Gothardom?

• Love 11

...for snuff films, child porn, and televised executions, too. That doesn't mean it has to be shown, endorsed, or profited from. The Duggars ARE child abuse, plain and simple. Enough's enough.

Unless the Duggars had someone raped or killed for the cameras while they were at the lumber yard, and I really, really don't think they did, the snuff and child porn comparison is ridiculous. Snuff and child porn without the cameras remain murder and child rape, serious crimes. The Duggars don't do anything criminal for their TV show, and they would be free to continue with that behavior, because it's not unlawful, so regardless of whether anyone watches it, it's probably gonna happen.

Funny how the pregnancy rumor surfaces the same week we hear rumors that TLC is filming again.

If this rumor turned out to be true -- although at this point I'm both hoping and (kind of) believing that it's probably not -- I wonder whether it wouldn't kind of turn off even some of the leghumper show fans.

I mean, really, no matter how much someone is snowed by the Duggars' "godliness" how many people really want Anna to be pregnant right now by her repeatedly-disaster-causing, not-even-employed-or-perhaps-very-employable, now-long-time-absentee husband. .... And while she's living in essentially a dorm situation with her four other kids, who are still tiny.

I have a hard time seeing a whole lot of people saying, Oh, that sounds like the wonderful family-friendly show that I love! I'm really looking forward to watching that!

I suppose I'm deluding myself.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 11

If this rumor turned out to be true -- although at this point I'm both hoping and (kind of) believing that it's probably not -- I wonder whether it wouldn't kind of turn off even some of the leghumper show fans.

I mean, really, no matter how much someone is snowed by the Duggars' "godliness" how many people really want Anna to be pregnant right now by her repeatedly-disaster-causing, not-even-employed-or-perhaps-very-employable, now-long-time-absentee husband. .... And while she's living in essentially a dorm situation with her four other kids, who are still tiny.

I have a hard time seeing a whole lot of people saying, Oh, that sounds like the wonderful family-friendly show that I love! I'm really looking forward to watching that!

I suppose I'm deluding myself.

No, you're doing the same thing I do, which is occasionally fall into the erroneous hope that the leghumpers have at least rudimentary, instinctive critical thinking skills. Just browse through Jessa's Instagram comments. That always brings me back around.

• Love 15

I hope that Anna wasn't coerced into visiting Josh during her fertile time. I really do not think these people care one

bit about her other than the fact that her purpose in life is to give birth. They know that a new pregnancy would help ratings. Still haven't watched a show.

Plus, I mean, the point of a boycott is to send a message to the company. If you're not a Nielsen family, your consumption doesn't really matter in that sense, I'd think? Which is another reason why I don't think the Duggar boycott will work; how many of the people pledging to boycott are Nielsen families? 

They can get ratings because they know what you watch on your cable TV. You no longer have to be a Nielsen family.

Edited by NoThyme
  • Love 4

I really hope Anna isn't pregnant. Josh barely even knows Meredith since he's been gone most of her life.

Geesh Josh if protection isn't an option (because you're both idiots) at least try the "pull out and pray" method!

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 2

I really hope Anna isn't pregnant. Josh barely even knows Meredith since he's been gone most of her life.

Geesh Josh if protection isn't an option (because you're both idiots) at least try the "pull out and pray" method!

Or at the least, ask Ryan for a few rubbers. You know Ryan had rubbers on stash for that rehab stint.
If ALL woman had to cover their knees and elbows in public, had to have an accountability partners, parents chaperone all dates, read all your texts, no alone time to get to know your fiancé, no real dates.

You don't have to imagine it, you just described Saudi Arabia. And every other ultra-Conservative Islamic society.

The likes of Huckabee and the Duggers, I always think, really want Christian sharia.

We can hope 60 Minutes is working on a Gothard expose.

• Love 23

I hope that Anna wasn't coerced into visiting Josh during her fertile time. I really do not think these people care one

bit about her other than the fact that her purpose in life is to give birth. They know that a new pregnancy would help ratings. Still haven't watched a show.

They can get ratings because they know what you watch on your cable TV. You no longer have to be a Nielsen family.

I am not sure this is true.

I am not sure this is true.

I don't know about cable "boxes" anymore, but I am almost positive a cable company's TiVo (or whatever their DVR brand is - might not be TiVo), is tracking what you watch.  That's how they know X amount of people watch a show "live", who forwards through commercials, and get what they call the "fast national" ratings.  I think they track anything up to minimum 7 days, and I've seen people argue/say it's closer to 10 days.  They may even be able to tell if you're fast forwarding through commercials/storylines.

ETA to add link with elaborate, interesting and/or boring expounding on some:

https://www.quora.com/Does-the-cable-company-know-what-I-am-viewing-on-my-TV-What-do-they-do-with-that-information

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 3

I think Jana may have escaped direct contact with Gothard on a regular basis because the time period of most of these claims was about 20 years ago or more.  Regarding going to the prisons (women's prisons or jails) sure it may have seemed a vacation and to a bunch of willing participants.  I know someone who teaches classwork at a women's prison and he has very willing students who are eager to come.  The alternative is all day in a hot little cell.  They actually love to go to school.  

I've known men who come out of prison all godly and convinced they are ready to work and change their lives completely.  It lasts about 2 weeks when they don't get a job and a paycheck that fast.  Then they are back into the old ways, because hey, you have to eat and have a roof over your head.  So you are back to making babies and living off women until you cycle back to the slam again. Mr keller I am sure thinks he is doing a great job bringing the bible to them, better than staying in the cell, as I mentioned, but doing them little to no good when released.  But hey, that's not Keller's job, to give them the means to live a good life, only the bible.

Edited by Micks Picks
  • Love 6

I don't know about cable "boxes" anymore, but I am almost positive a cable company's TiVo (or whatever their DVR brand is - might not be TiVo), is tracking what you watch. That's how they know X amount of people watch a show "live", who forwards through commercials, and get what they call the "fast national" ratings. I think they track anything up to minimum 7 days, and I've seen people argue/say it's closer to 10 days. They may even be able to tell if you're fast forwarding through commercials/storylines.

ETA to add link with elaborate, interesting and/or boring expounding on some:

https://www.quora.com/Does-the-cable-company-know-what-I-am-viewing-on-my-TV-What-do-they-do-with-that-information

Cable knows everything you do. I am an Amazon Prime member and often watch Amazon original shows. Amazon knows which shows people watch through their internet connection. Edited by NoThyme
  • Love 3

I think Jana may have escaped direct contact with Gothard on a regular basis because the time period of most of these claims was about 20 years ago or more.  Regarding going to the prisons (women's prisons or jails) sure it may have seemed a vacation and to a bunch of willing participants.  I know someone who teaches classwork at a women's prison and he has very willing students who are eager to come.  The alternative is all day in a hot little cell.  They actually love to go to school.  

I've known men who come out of prison all godly and convinced they are ready to work and change their lives completely.  It lasts about 2 weeks when they don't get a job and a paycheck that fast.  Then they are back into the old ways, because hey, you have to eat and have a roof over your head.  So you are back to making babies and living off women until you cycle back to the slam again. Mr keller I am sure thinks he is doing a great job bringing the bible to them, better than staying in the cell, as I mentioned, but doing them little to no good when released.  But hey, that's not Keller's job, to give them the means to live a good life, only the bible.

You are right about that!  No one wants to spend any money on reintegration programs.  Too expensive.  And people on the outside, no matter what they say, don't like to hire a former convict, regardless of the crime.  I worked in a place that evaluated some of the training programs inside some prisons.  Problem is, no one would hire these people when they got out.  Trained, reformed, found god, etc.  Well, not no one, but so few that it was a huge problem.  Some of them were in for minor drug offenses and really would have done well.  But, maybe things have changed in the 10 or so years since I did that.  Well, let me add, that, some offshore welding positions were available to some of the men.

Edited by lookeyloo
  • Love 8

http://radaronline.com/celebrity-news/josh-duggar-sex-scandal-jana-duggar-filming-with-younger-kids-lumber-yard/

“The production company from Nashville called me last week, It was the day before they wanted to come in and film. Then the normal camera guy for the family called me and then John David did,” he explained.

“He sent over a list of things they needed to build a tree house. He wanted to make sure we have the stuff. We got it all together.”

How scripted. Maybe Josh is going to live in the tree house?

“Jana was really the one in charge. We asked her if she needed 4″ grooves or 8″ grooves and she knew the answer. She was the one giving all the instructions.”

Good for her.

Their purchase totaled $3,500 but the family had troubled transporting their lumber, so they used trucks from Josh Duggar’s used car lot to haul the wood away.

I bet TLC paid for that. I don't see the Duggars spending that kind of money on something as worthless as their own children.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose for the carlot. Josh got the old job back.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 6