Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

The weirdest thing for me is that the Alberta Homeschool Council booked them in the first place...

They were booked BEFORE the whole JoshyGate I and II happened, so WTF ? 

They were okey-dokey with a family who homefools as lazily, distractedly, and hands-off as is physically possible ? The Duggars have 19 kids with eight (nine ? I dunno...) who have been graduated and only ONE that has a "proper" diploma, and that is a GED ???

They have six (seven ? again, I dunno...) who are legally adults, and only ONE that is gainfully employed ? And that, at most, is sketchy...

They have - oh, I give up ! - a handful who are so, so obviously not on track with their age range. One (two ? more ?) can't read, one can't do fractions, and the little ones appear to have no education whatsoever !

Ugh. It's SUCH a disservice to the honest, hardworking folks who do actually homeschool their kids !!! The Duggars give them all a bad name. 

As an aside, what about the older girls just taking over Michelle's teaching duties ? Aren't there regulations in place to prevent the parent from circumventing the rules and letting the first wave of poorly, barely educated children from teaching the younger ones ? I shake my head at the thought of how the learning curve continues to devolve from the top on down...

Definitely a good thing the AHC bowed to public pressure about backing off from JB and Michelle's House O'Foolin in the wake of the Josh scandal, but how in the hell did they rate to speak in the first place ???

Virginia's association had them keynote in 2013. Apparently more people than you might expect have considered  them role models for their approach to homeschooling. https://www.facebook.com/HEAV.Virginia.Homeschool/posts/10151614802897908

Virginia's association had them keynote in 2013. Apparently more people than you might expect have considered  them role models for their approach to homeschooling. https://www.facebook.com/HEAV.Virginia.Homeschool/posts/10151614802897908

Maybe I'm alone here, but the above is terrifying. IMHO of course, but I believe not equipping one's children to function on their own in the modern world by depriving them of even basic education is a form of child abuse.

And we've all seen how well the adult Duggar children are functioning on their own, haven't we?

• Love 14

Maybe I'm alone here, but the above is terrifying. IMHO of course, but I believe not equipping one's children to function on their own in the modern world by depriving them of even basic education is a form of child abuse.

And we've all seen how well the adult Duggar children are functioning on their own, haven't we?

Virginia homeschoolers who homeschool for religious reasons managed at some point to get a law passed declaring that if you do that, you will face no state oversight or requirements whatsoever. So clearly there is a strong group there who see things just as the Duggars do and insist that complete carte blanche to homeschool in line with your own faith -- with absolutely no state oversight whatsoever -- is integral to "religious freedom" under the Constitution.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 3

IIRC, Doug Phillips used to be the leader of that homeschool coalition out of Virginia. The name escapes me, but there was a schism that led to him leaving the group. Unfortunately, his wiki has been stripped bare, so his past in this arena has been scrubbed. 

• Love 1

IIRC, Doug Phillips used to be the leader of that homeschool coalition out of Virginia. The name escapes me, but there was a schism that led to him leaving the group. Unfortunately, his wiki has been stripped bare, so his past in this arena has been scrubbed.

Wasn't Doug Phillips with Vision Forum? I never read what that organization was all about but did read that it's now defunct.

Yeah, Dougie was the founder of Vision Forum, but even before that, and simultaneously in the 90s, he headed a religious homeschool group out of VA (before he moved to Texas) that was responsible for the legislation mentioned above. He used his attorney skills more when he wore the militant homeschooling hat. 

Yeah, I think he was, too. And with Mike Farris (of HSLDA) also being Virginia-based for a long time now, the Virginia group is kind of ground zero for anti-oversight fervor.

• Love 1

Not sure if this is necessarily the right forum to post on (so mods feel free to move), but I had an interesting thought and was wanting to hear your guys' opinions. Yesterday, I was reading about that Australian model (Essina? something like that) who, out of nowhere, kind of turned on social media and is now starting to act out against how the "social media system" works. I was actually surprised to hear NPR even talk about it yesterday!

So anyways, she mentions how she was paid to promote a lot of brands on instagram. I know people promote nutritional supplements and whatnot all the time, but I was surprised to hear how she was paid to just nonchalantly wear certain clothes in her pictures (and it seemed like she didn't even have to do a shoutout to the brand... just literally wear the clothes or hold a certain object). I know the Duggars (Jill and Jessa) seem to promote a lot of things on instagram, especially food, but do you think they're actually getting paid for them? Do you think they're getting paid to wear the clothes that they're wearing too? It would possibly make sense why they all the sudden started dressing more "modern." I'm not saying that's the whole reason why they started changing their style, but I was just curious on your guys' thoughts on the topic. They're both so crazy for money it wouldn't surprise me, but honestly, I was really surprised at how nuanced the advertising can really be on social media that they were some of the first people to come to my mind after listening to the Australian model talk about it. 

• Love 2

Not sure if this is necessarily the right forum to post on (so mods feel free to move), but I had an interesting thought and was wanting to hear your guys' opinions. Yesterday, I was reading about that Australian model (Essina? something like that) who, out of nowhere, kind of turned on social media and is now starting to act out against how the "social media system" works. I was actually surprised to hear NPR even talk about it yesterday!

So anyways, she mentions how she was paid to promote a lot of brands on instagram. I know people promote nutritional supplements and whatnot all the time, but I was surprised to hear how she was paid to just nonchalantly wear certain clothes in her pictures (and it seemed like she didn't even have to do a shoutout to the brand... just literally wear the clothes or hold a certain object). I know the Duggars (Jill and Jessa) seem to promote a lot of things on instagram, especially food, but do you think they're actually getting paid for them? Do you think they're getting paid to wear the clothes that they're wearing too? It would possibly make sense why they all the sudden started dressing more "modern." I'm not saying that's the whole reason why they started changing their style, but I was just curious on your guys' thoughts on the topic. They're both so crazy for money it wouldn't surprise me, but honestly, I was really surprised at how nuanced the advertising can really be on social media that they were some of the first people to come to my mind after listening to the Australian model talk about it. 

Interesting idea.  Will wait to see if anyone has any info on it.

Unfortunately the Duggar children don't seem to have the skills themselves, or skilled advisors who can negotiate these things, to get any decent compensation from their Instagram product promotions. I bet Jessa only gets a free Chik-fil-a meal for each of her Chik-fil-a posts.

• Love 1

Yeah, I think he was, too. And with Mike Farris (of HSLDA) also being Virginia-based for a long time now, the Virginia group is kind of ground zero for anti-oversight fervor.

As someone told my sister when she moved to Virginia, "You're not in the Bible Belt; you're at the Buckle!" 

• Love 2

When the married daughters wear branded new shoes I'll believe It. I think for a while the kids just got stuff from Gymboree and Apothecary but not paid for social media. It doesn't seem like the Dugs have any big deals for social media shout outs beyond what they were given during the show. Jessa would be the one to watch for that sort of thing but it doesn't seem like it beyond a freebie here and there. I just don't think Jill and Jessa are getting checks from any media promotions.
  • Love 4

They could be getting things in exchange for mentioning/showing them on the show or on social media. Remember those American Girl dolls the lost girls were playing with in a video? The AMERICAN GIRL dolls, ya hear? I just have a hard time believing that Boob would shell out for those when the girls could just practice their sister-mom skills on any old cheap baby doll, and I also don't think I've heard them mention toy brands out loud in any other context.

• Love 4

They could be getting things in exchange for mentioning/showing them on the show or on social media. Remember those American Girl dolls the lost girls were playing with in a video? The AMERICAN GIRL dolls, ya hear? I just have a hard time believing that Boob would shell out for those when the girls could just practice their sister-mom skills on any old cheap baby doll, and I also don't think I've heard them mention toy brands out loud in any other context.

I remember, I think it was, Josie mentioning American Girl dolls. I thought it was weird because they are expensive, but I also thought that the dolls from earlier eras are rather wholesome. I also thought that they could be used or knock-offs.

And I am realizing now that I gave it way too much thought.

I'm shocked they allowed American Girl Dolls in the house. The company is openly pro-education, pro-self esteem and pro-LBGTQ. They've even published (age appropriate) guides to puberty and early sex education.

• Love 4

I'm shocked they allowed American Girl Dolls in the house. The company is openly pro-education, pro-self esteem and pro-LBGTQ. They've even published (age appropriate) guides to puberty and early sex education.

In the Jon and Kate days, they featured American Girl Dolls. Could they be a TLC sponsor?

• Love 1

Particularly when there is a Christian line of similar dolls.

Because it's a Law & Order episode, not a Duggar episode. The Duggars may have been mentioned, and it may have been inspired by, but discussion about a show's episode belongs in that show's forums. Many of the L&O (all flavors) are ripped from the headlines, and it's discussed in the L&O forums.

• Love 5

And finally under "In Case You Missed it" near the bottom of the page, some piece about parenting advice that Jill can give Jessa. That one has a photo of a cleaned-up Jill (hair pulled back) with a men's tie (really) tied randomly around her forehead, holding Izzy in a sailor hat, which shows her as the healthy, young, and not very facially blessed person that she is. Only she looks cleaner than she usually does in photos.

That's a picture from Talk like a Pirate Day when they purposed to get a dozen dozen donuts - of was it 14 dozen? - and then make a show of giving some to homeless people.

Edited by lulee
  • Love 1

Wow. They really do have a publicist.

I think they might need a team of publicists. Or a publicist who's a better wrangler.

Lots of articles have mentioned they do. I doubt Jim Bob has the wherewithal to book events himself. I'm surprised thy don't just make Jana or Jinger do it.

• Love 2

I know some people in the Binessa thread were talking about the Duggars' TLC deal as it relates to insurance. If memory serves me correctly, reality stars are considered independent contractors, not employees of the network. I remember some of the Teen Mom girls had this issue after getting into hot water for not properly filing their taxes.

• Love 6

I just went to people.com's main page. They are so in bed with the Duggars. Jessa's boy baby birth is an "exclusive" at the top of the page, and farther down they have a link to something that may be a picture gallery of - I kid you not - "Ben and Jessa's Road to Parenthood." WTF? Two young people get married, have sex, the wife gets pregnant . . . how special???

And finally under "In Case You Missed it" near the bottom of the page, some piece about parenting advice that Jill can give Jessa. That one has a photo of a cleaned-up Jill (hair pulled back) with a men's tie (really) tied randomly around her forehead, holding Izzy in a sailor hat, which shows her as the healthy, young, and not very facially blessed person that she is. Only she looks cleaner than she usually does in photos.

I didn't click on any of those links, and was interested to see that none of those stories - not even their top of the page "Exclusive!" - is among the top five "most popular" stories on the site. [There's a list on the right hand sidebar near the bottom of the page.] This spring and summer, Duggar stories almost always made the top five, no matter the content. Jessa, although she looks good in the photos, doesn't seem to have the same pulling power.

But even so, the Duggar's pockets are being lined nicely I'm sure. I wonder if JimBob is getting a cut from those stories or if all the money goes to the Seeworlds and Dullards, respectively.

Edited for grammar, spelling, and clarity.

When is that People Mag going to get the message?  All of the online comments on Jessa & Ben are totally negative.  

• Love 2

Negative coverage still generates hits. Not mine, but obviously there's still a market for this. Critics need to step away; they are keeping Benessa in a position to continue their unreasonable lifestyle.

It's really past time to stop feeding the beasts of People and TLC.

• Love 8

I really wish the advice Jill had given Jessa about being a mother would have been to have the baby in a hospital or birthing center with certified nurse midwives.

• Love 8

Negative coverage still generates hits. Not mine, but obviously there's still a market for this. Critics need to step away; they are keeping Benessa in a position to continue their unreasonable lifestyle.

It's really past time to stop feeding the beasts of People and TLC.

Negative coverage makes a huge difference in getting rid of these people.  19 kids and counting - cancelled - advertisers bailing left and right faster than a lightening strike, the Alberta Home School JB & Michelle speaking engagement canceled.  The Dillards offering refunds.  Negative coverage helps them go away.

• Love 11

Negative coverage makes a huge difference in getting rid of these people. 19 kids and counting - cancelled - advertisers bailing left and right faster than a lightening strike, the Alberta Home School JB & Michelle speaking engagement canceled. The Dillards offering refunds. Negative coverage helps them go away.

Dammit, then why won't it work on the Kardashians?

• Love 10

Yes, properly applied. But hitting up People and snarking isn't productive. A hit is a hit as far as they're concerned.

I see what you are saying - but the negativity will often influence the tone of the future articles.  Instead of People being in love with the Duggars as wonderful they are much more apt to portray them negatively as their readers see them.  Eventually dumping them altogether because their readers are not expressing the positive feelings of seeing yet another Duggar cover.

• Love 5

Has it been confirmed that TLC production is present? Is TLC in Guatemala?

Or are these nutjobs just filming every freaking thing they do hoping for a deal?

Yes, there were pictures of cameramen filming.

• Love 2

Has it been confirmed that TLC production is present? Is TLC in Guatemala?

Or are these nutjobs just filming every freaking thing they do hoping for a deal?

Derick and Miz Cathy were seen being filmed in a Guatemalan shoe shop

2mg5bx4.jpg

• Love 1