Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

I am in Alberta and the news this morning stated that due to negative backlash from the public, they are reconsidering and will have a decision by next week.

If they come, I might have to round up the kids and cause a disturbance at this shindig.

Serious as a heart attack here.

• Love 17

and it also states that the molestations would be discussed!

In a vauge 'victims of the media' sense. I dobut they'll give advice on how many years to wait before you address it within your own family.

they are reconsidering and will have a decision by next week.

Excellent! This whole publicity stunt might have run it's course.

• Love 3

The idea that the molestations are "old news" just fries me. When I was 6, a neighborhood teen got his hands on me. It still affects me to this day, and I am 62. It is never "old news" to the victims. And since there is no magic cure, it isn't really old news to the perp, either. The threat has not been neutralized.

• Love 24

The line about the 'media hysteria' really pisses me off.  The media.  The media that has housed and fed the entire Duggar clan for over a decade is now at fault apparently for their downfall.  They'd all be on the street with Michelle serving JB in the gutter and the children sleeping in abandoned cars if it wasn't for the media.

• Love 18

The line about the 'media hysteria' really pisses me off. The media. The media that has housed and fed the entire Duggar clan for over a decade is now at fault apparently for their downfall. They'd all be on the street with Michelle serving JB in the gutter and the children sleeping in abandoned cars if it wasn't for the media.

No one, not even the Duggars, deserves to be treated like tabloid playthings.
  • Love 2

Boob looks exactly like Butthead in that photo.

Boob has looked like Barbie's Ken to me ever since the show began. Same close-cropped, 50s-era barbershop training poster, male hairstyle. Why he needs the amount of hairspray he does I'll never know. I've never known any men who use hairspray. Maybe a quarter-sized blob of gel, but not hairspray. Boob will always me Ken for me. Well, hair = Ken, face = Howdy Doody.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 5

And if 'the media' is SO very EVIL, why are they still seeking the public's attention, rather than staying on Landfill Lane, keeping their lives private??

Because that would force the adult Duggars to get off their lazy behinds and get real jobs. No more missioncations, no more paid Conference appearances, no more Uggs for Jessa Blessa and no more McMansions courtesy of Daddy. Its much more lucrative to be a hypocrite and do a spin-off under the guise of "moving on" and telling "the real story."

• Love 10

It really does strike me sometimes. To keep the Duggar money machine rolling, TLC CREATED A SHOW around the victims (the SISTER victims) of the guy that THEY THEMSELVES tried to paint as a fricking Christlike inspiration for ten years. Jesus is to the Duggars what ass is to Kim Kardashian. A schtick. A gimmick. They don't give a shit about anything but money and keeping their fame rolling. In that sense, they really are an American ideal.

• Love 14

Shocked that Alberta homeschoolers would have these people attend. If you want your education to be acknowledged as legitimate, these are not the people you want to appear at a symposium or whatever it is. This just asking for mainstream people to mock homeschooling in Alberta.

• Love 10

The idea that the molestations are "old news" just fries me. When I was 6, a neighborhood teen got his hands on me. It still affects me to this day, and I am 62. It is never "old news" to the victims. And since there is no magic cure, it isn't really old news to the perp, either. The threat has not been neutralized.

Applause, applause for this, Tabby.

Not for your assault, of course. You NEVER forget, it always affects you in some way, and you can learn to move on. But to say "it was dealt with in an ethically way (et al), is repugnant to all victims of sexual assault.

• Love 7

Who are the first 2 girls?  All of the lights, their electric bill must be huge.

Who are the first 2 girls?  All of the lights, their electric bill must be huge.

Do they have actual friends? Not counting kids that live several states away. Could those be Ben's sisters?

JimBob was probably at least as weird about his daughters' purity as he is now, and perhaps has become less obsessed considering he can't move Jana off the shelf. Everyone clothes (except JimBob's) has gotten more "risqué"/normal as time has gone by. The courtships probably influenced the producers the most. It was the producers who had the family do all the field trips, and it's the producers who decided to focus on the courtships and ramp up the production of episodes to an astonishing 80 hours of reality tv in 13 months.

• Love 2

I wonder how young the girls are when the reason for modest dress is explained to them? And how warped it would be to tell a young girl to keep her face pretty so nobody will look at her body.

Via an unscrubbed part of TLC.com

Around the age of 11, when our kids begin going through puberty, we take one-on-one time with them to discuss what they're going through. Usually I'll talk with the girls and make it a special time out with mom -- we may go for lunch at their favorite place -- and I'll explain to the girls about this new season of life and how exciting this is, because they're entering womanhood.

We talk about how their bodies change and their menstrual cycle, what it's all is about and what it means, and how as time goes on it will get more regular for them. I tell them that they'll feel more at ease with it, but at first it's a new experience.

We also talk about the boy/girl feelings that come along with this season of life and how that is a special time and you want to guard your heart to make sure that you are keeping your affections where they need to be and not giving away parts of your heart by emotionally getting attached to individuals, because your future spouse will be the one who you want to give all of those things to.

I also go to the store with the girls and we usually get a makeup bag and fill it with lotion, some pretty perfume, and a little face powder -- just an acknowledgment that they're entering a new season of life. We'll go to the area where we get their feminine products and I explain the different products to them ahead of time.

I could've sworn I read/saw Michelle mention that the "womanhood" care package includes a razor. Is it normal for a white, fair haired, non Mediterranean 11 year old girl to shave her legs?

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 2

I just threw up.

I don't even know how to stop gagging long enough to pick out one thing, but yeah, sure Michelle, after living with you, JimBob, your springtime in the monkey house sex life, and your ovulation calendar all their lives, I'm sure they need you to explain this to them.

Jeeeeeezus.

• Love 8

I just threw up.

I don't even know how to stop gagging long enough to pick out one thing, but yeah, sure Michelle, after living with you, JimBob, your springtime in the monkey house sex life, and your ovulation calendar all their lives, I'm sure they need you to explain this to them.

Jeeeeeezus.

ETA: Okay, now I'm hoping one of those lost girls goes all Carrie on the TTH and burns it the ground with her pink-handled blowtorch and a sparkle gasoline can.

• Love 2

I just threw up.

Jeeeeeezus.

I think without the heavy handed Gothard speak its a nice mother & daughter time. I was born in the fifties and pretty much left to my own devices. 

• Love 7

New SVU clip! One of the 'Duggars' got pregnant during one f their trips to NYC. So cruel. Couldn't have happened to a nicer family.

http://www.eonline.com/news/711768/law-order-svu-s-twisty-take-on-the-duggars-will-leave-you-reeling

Victoria Leigh plays Lane Baker, with Geneva Carr playing Pam Baker, Christopher Sieber as Frank Baker, Ryan Devlin as Pastor Eldon and Chris Elliott as Pete Matthews rounding out the guest cast. Andy Karl also returns as Sgt. Mike Dodds.

Pastor Eldon=Gothard?

• Love 3

Just wondering how this insane frugal "buy used and save the difference" train-wreck of a family comes to own not one, but two, baby grands.

Two zombies on each piano, don't tune the pianos, practically a bargain.
  • Love 1

TLC must be counting on hate watchers because every comment I read on every online article about the Duggars and their specials is completely negative.

I think sites like this have a lot to do with them coming back to TV. The Duggar thread gets a lot of action here, probably more than any other thread. I'm sure they have people monitoring places like this, they see thousands of comments daily and that tells them that people are still interested.

They don't care why we watch as long as we watch.

• Love 11

Those pianos sounded horribly tinny and out of tune. I also thought the playing was choppy and rote, very paint-by-numbers for girls who have been playing for years.

Rote and choppy is it. Of course, to have it otherwise, they'd need to a) know something and b) feel something, and neither of those is permitted.

• Love 4

But the fun of this site is that we don't have to watch - I, for one, snark here but do not watch the Duggars. So, if TLC wants to count my clicks here to project viewership, let them count away. I really don't care.

I've never watched either, looks pretty damn boring. I'm here for the snark. 

But I do keep track of their advertisers and will adjust my consumption appropriately, so if TLC is monitoring me, I'm a boycotter!

I wonder if any of the three harps were donated.

The harps came directly from heaven.

• Love 12

Shocked that Alberta homeschoolers would have these people attend. If you want your education to be acknowledged as legitimate, these are not the people you want to appear at a symposium or whatever it is. This just asking for mainstream people to mock homeschooling in Alberta.

Well don't be shocked anymore, they cancelled the Dugs from speaking.  Too funny!  

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/duggar-family-jim-bob-michelle-homeschooling-convention-1.3299331

• Love 6

Well don't be shocked anymore, they cancelled the Dugs from speaking.  Too funny!  

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/duggar-family-jim-bob-michelle-homeschooling-convention-1.3299331

Hurrah for public pressure. Just the fact that they booked them at all, even two years ago, though, unfortunately shows that too many leaders of the province's homeschooling group don't actually believe in education, just indoctrination, misogyny and tales of white heterosexual Christian prosecution. Too bad that any "homeschooling" group is dominated by the segment that wants to hear from the Duggars, since it surely ought to be clear to anybody even slightly observant that they believe only in ignorance, not learning.

• Love 10

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/duggar-family-speech-alberta-homeschooling-014656256.html

"Although early feedback from our members this summer was supportive of having the Duggars come here, recent feedback from our own members points out that their appearance here would not be in the best interest of home educators," reads the release.

What a tragedy. I hope they're dead to themselves and don't feel it.

Edit: oops, truthtalk beat me to it!

"As we have learned, child abuse can happen in any home and is never 'old news,'" wrote van den Bosch.

This however, remains very true!

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 5

In all seriousness, what were they going to say?

"You go to Gothard.  He sells you his books.  You use those and only those.  Then you buddy up each younger child with an older child and let them be in charge.  If a camera crew comes into your house, grab a book and a child and act like you read with them every day. Now, when is lunch?"

• Love 16

The weirdest thing for me is that the Alberta Homeschool Council booked them in the first place...

They were booked BEFORE the whole JoshyGate I and II happened, so WTF ? 

They were okey-dokey with a family who homefools as lazily, distractedly, and hands-off as is physically possible ? The Duggars have 19 kids with eight (nine ? I dunno...) who have been graduated and only ONE that has a "proper" diploma, and that is a GED ???

They have six (seven ? again, I dunno...) who are legally adults, and only ONE that is gainfully employed ? And that, at most, is sketchy...

They have - oh, I give up ! - a handful who are so, so obviously not on track with their age range. One (two ? more ?) can't read, one can't do fractions, and the little ones appear to have no education whatsoever !

Ugh. It's SUCH a disservice to the honest, hardworking folks who do actually homeschool their kids !!! The Duggars give them all a bad name. 

As an aside, what about the older girls just taking over Michelle's teaching duties ? Aren't there regulations in place to prevent the parent from circumventing the rules and letting the first wave of poorly, barely educated children from teaching the younger ones ? I shake my head at the thought of how the learning curve continues to devolve from the top on down...

Definitely a good thing the AHC bowed to public pressure about backing off from JB and Michelle's House O'Foolin in the wake of the Josh scandal, but how in the hell did they rate to speak in the first place ???

• Love 23

The weirdest thing for me is that the Alberta Homeschool Council booked them in the first place...

They were booked BEFORE the whole JoshyGate I and II happened, so WTF ? 

They were okey-dokey with a family who homefools as lazily, distractedly, and hands-off as is physically possible ? The Duggars have 19 kids with eight (nine ? I dunno...) who have been graduated and only ONE that has a "proper" diploma, and that is a GED ???

They have six (seven ? again, I dunno...) who are legally adults, and only ONE that is gainfully employed ? And that, at most, is sketchy...

They have - oh, I give up ! - a handful who are so, so obviously not on track with their age range. One (two ? more ?) can't read, one can't do fractions, and the little ones appear to have no education whatsoever !

Ugh. It's SUCH a disservice to the honest, hardworking folks who do actually homeschool their kids !!! The Duggars give them all a bad name. 

As an aside, what about the older girls just taking over Michelle's teaching duties ? Aren't there regulations in place to prevent the parent from circumventing the rules and letting the first wave of poorly, barely educated children from teaching the younger ones ? I shake my head at the thought of how the learning curve continues to devolve from the top on down...

Definitely a good thing the AHC bowed to public pressure about backing off from JB and Michelle's House O'Foolin in the wake of the Josh scandal, but how in the hell did they rate to speak in the first place ???

BRAVO! I do not have experience with homeschooling, having come up in normal crappy American public school. Also, Jesus did not see fit to fill my garden with blessings (I assume because of my subsequent descent into the bowels of Satanic homosexuality), so I never gave one thought to it until I became unreasonably concerned with the Duggars. It is very bizarre that an institution like homeschooling, that is already under scrutiny, wouldn't be VERY careful about who they choose to represent the ideal. Is, like, a basic public relations course against God or something? These people all seem to reject the concept totally.

• Love 10

The Duggars got dropped for the Alberta Homeschooling event scheduled for April 2016. They say they booked the Duggars 2 years ago. It's rather unlikely the Duggars were booked prior to Josh scandal #1 and it's extremely unlikely they were booked 30 months in advance.

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 4

The first press release from the Alberta homeschooling org was defensive in tone and assured all of us that they were willing to overlook the issues with the Duggars and their homefoolin'.

One has to imagine that fielding who knows how many angry phone calls, e-mails and other means of contact from the disgusted public let the folks in Alberta know the rest of us weren't quite so forgiving about the appearance of two people who still refuse to admit their own mistakes and failures. I'm betting the second statement they released (announcing the fact they'd cancelled the Duggars' appearance) was actually written by someone who has a clue about PR.

• Love 8