Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

Things continue to get worse for the Duggars as now Moonlight Bunny Ranch has banned Josh. I don't think TLC can keep silent anymore after this breaking news.

Dennis Hof is hysterical! He speculates that one of the Duggar children will eventually end up working as a prostitute and he's banning Josh for the prostitute Duggar's safety. Hahahah!
  • Love 4
(edited)

Things continue to get worse for the Duggars as now Moonlight Bunny Ranch has banned Josh. I don't think TLC can keep silent anymore after this breaking news.

You know things have gotten bad when you get banned from a brothel.

<----edited to add why did they ban Paris Hilton? Does she go to brothels often? Because if the answer is yes....ha!

Edited by Chaos Theory
(edited)

You know things have gotten bad when you get banned from a brothel.

<----edited to add why did they ban Paris Hilton? Does she go to brothels often? Because if the answer is yes....ha!

I'm guessing Joshy boy paid a visit, or he found some local talent who refused to work if Josh would be allowed in.

Eta: paris got banned for drug use, along with her boyfriend.

Edited by dillpickles
(edited)

Sorry to interrupt all the proposed fanfic, but I have real media news. A "source close to the situation" says that Jill and Jessa want to "return to public life." I pretty much blew off the beginning part of the article. 

http://www.people.com/article/jessa-duggar-jill-duggar-coping-after-josh-molestation-scandal

This quote from the article struck me: For now, "If they are never on TV again, they'd be fine with it. … They are content to keep lying low, but they don't want people to think they're living their lives cloaked in shame. They hope to regain some semblance of normalcy."

I don't think they even realize that "normalcy" does not involve TV crews - although for them, I guess it does. They've got to be so confused right now.

Edited by NikSac
  • Love 6
(edited)

Forgive me for my ignorance but I thought prostitution was illegal in the US? Is this Bunny Ranch an actual real thing?

I guess it's up to each state? Most places do ban prostitution but there are certain parts of Nevada where it's legal. The Bunny Ranch is in one of those places and is featured on those Cathouse specials on HBO.

Oh dear, I cannot unsee Jessa's resemblance to the Corpse Bride!

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 3

Forgive me for my ignorance but I thought prostitution was illegal in the US? Is this Bunny Ranch an actual real thing?

It is a real thing and prostitution is only legal in Nevada in certain counties. It is heavily regulated to brothels. Of course, illegal prostitution still occurs in Nevada as well.

• Love 1
(edited)

Ok well this is embarrassing to admit, but I've been by both the Bunny Ranch and the Mustang Ranch, both in Nevada.  Yes they exist, and prostitution is legal in some places (at least parts of Nevada - don't know about other areas).  I've never been IN to either of them, but I too was curious if they actually existed so we drove past them when hubby and I were on a road trip through CA/NV. 

ETA: oops sorry I see I was late to answering. I'll add though, a few years back they were contemplating legalizing brothels in San Francisco too, so I think it's maybe even county-by-county as opposed to state-by-state.

Edited by NikSac
  • Love 1

This quote from the article struck me: For now, "If they are never on TV again, they'd be fine with it. … They are content to keep lying low, but they don't want people to think they're living their lives cloaked in shame. They hope to regain some semblance of normalcy."

I don't think they even realize that "normalcy" does not involve TV crews - although for them, I guess it does. They've got to be so confused right now.

This sends such mixed messages. Either they were affected by what happened, or as they purport, they weren't. They are trying to have their cake and eat it. Obviously, a lot of growing up needs to happen. 

• Love 6

I found myself wondering how Josh managed to get himself banned from there when he's likely never even been there, and found it's mostly likely a publicity stunt by the owner.  Must say this part made me think, though!   (from: http://dailycaller.com/2015/06/11/moonlite-bunny-ranch-bans-josh-duggar/#ixzz3co8FwEEp)

"With the Duggars having 19 kids, it is just simple math that the odds are much greater than usual that one of their daughters might come work for us at some point."

<snip> and...

“We don’t have locks on our girls’ doors, because we’ve never needed them. Apparently the Bunny Ranch brothel is a safer place for young girls than the Duggar household.”

• Love 1

Now they are trotting out Jana to tell us what great parents they are.  Check out the "Pickles and Hairspray" facebook page.  Gag me.

Has the show been cancelled yet?  I can't help thinking that with this new development about them not allowing DPS into their home to check on a child, they can't recover. 

Stick a fork in it, it's done.

• Love 1

Does any remember the reason why in one episode a Duggar son (not Josh, I think it was John David or Josiah) went to the Alert camp? They went there by private propeller plane.

Josiah has gone several times. 

I think they go once to prove their commitment -- now they're trained and ready to resist when America is invaded by homosexuals/communists/Muslims (or homosexual communist Muslims; it's not always clear to the boys, but dammit they're ready for whichever it is.)

They go more than once if Jim Bob hates them.

• Love 12

I found the 911 call interesting because the worker said they were there for a child. He didn't say children You know we all have  the right to refuse them entry. Once you let them in, they are there with permission. I would call the police myself if I were the Duggars to verify they were even supposed to be there. There was no mention of them doing that, but perhaps  they did.

• Love 2
(edited)

From what we've learned and can easily infer, JimBob has had some unsavory and difficult relationships with local authorities at various levels. It wouldn't be beyond my imagination there was actually a bit of harassment going on in the situation. The timing was just so close to everything else. 

Edited by mbutterfly
  • Love 2

With the agreement of my fellow mods, I just started a "goofy thread" to accommodate the tangent we went off on - and I started - yesterday.

I am moving appropriate posts to that thread so that they no longer clutter up the Media thread.

ETA: And it is done. There may be a few posts that others may think were left here and should have moved or vice versa, but I'm going to leave them where they are.

Please take memes, parodies, fanfic ideas, etc., to the new thread.

Thanks!

• Love 7
(edited)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3120768/The-downfall-Duggars-hate-filled-robocall-photo-lesbian-kiss-exposed-dark-family-secrets.html

"The call urged them to vote against new laws preventing anti-gay discrimination laws and among those who heard it was Tandra Barnfield, a lesbian whose family know the Duggars.

In protest Barnfield posed outside the Duggar home kissing her wife Samantha Munzy and posted it on Instagram. The picture went viral, leading reporters to contact her.

It was then that she told them about Josh's dark past and how the Duggars had been living a lie - and lying to the public"

And there ya have it.

Edited by autumnh
  • Love 6
(edited)

From what we've learned and can easily infer, JimBob has had some unsavory and difficult relationships with local authorities at various levels. It wouldn't be beyond my imagination there was actually a bit of harassment going on in the situation. The timing was just so close to everything else. 

He has friends at various levels of authority as well. From on article is sounds like the judge who destroyed the report was a friend of his, and don't forget the police or whatever, he randomly chose to speak to Josh, a police who happened to be someone he knew. Wasn't there also a story of JB strong arming someone who didn't want his political poster on their lawn. He threatened them with eviction even though he didn't own the home? Karma is a bitch.

Edited by sometimesy
  • Love 5

Thank you Starlightlost.  Powerful article from a journalist who "escaped" and is trying to put her life together daily!

"I hope this latest religion and sex scandal teaches that religious extremism isn’t entertainment. It is abuse. It is abuse when it is used to manipulate, control and victimize those who are rendered helpless within its confines. We should examine how we allow the most vulnerable members of our society to become prey for power-hungry religious leaders and sexual predators."

Forgot to include the link from starlightlost:

http://www.salon.com...oesnt_shock_me/

• Love 9
(edited)
"The call urged them to vote against new laws preventing anti-gay discrimination laws and among those who heard it was Tandra Barnfield, a lesbian whose family know the Duggars.

In protest Barnfield posed outside the Duggar home kissing her wife Samantha Munzy and posted it on Instagram. The picture went viral, leading reporters to contact her.

It was then that she told them about Josh's dark past and how the Duggars had been living a lie - and lying to the public"

And there ya have it.

So the Duggars' most infamous example of hatemongering (the robocall) was the catalyst that sparked their downfall...

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 21

My, my, my. The Duggs are no longer going to appear at the Christian Home Educators of Colorado conference next weekend. The statement is here. Which makes me think that their FOX interview(s) didn't totally sell their "we're being persecuted by the liberal media for being Christians!" line to what I'd expect to be a strong bunch of supporters. Hmm. Or, they could be really frazzled and not up for public appearances yet.

The original plan (I looked it up last week) said the whole family would make a "special appearance" with "music" on Friday evening. JB and Michelle were also (individually) featured speakers, and IIRC there was a special $100/person "dinner with the Duggars." Not happening now.

I have to ask myself what kind of idiot would pay $100 to see the Duggars and listen to that crap they call music?  And I mean even before the scandal broke.

• Love 21
(edited)
My, my, my. The Duggs are no longer going to appear at the Christian Home Educators of Colorado conference next weekend. The statement is here. Which makes me think that their FOX interview(s) didn't totally sell their "we're being persecuted by the liberal media for being Christians!" line to what I'd expect to be a strong bunch of supporters.

I don't know. From the statement it looks like the Board is very much siding with those poor, innocent, persecuted Duggars who are under "increased attacks" and pressure.

ETA: And they've apparently been in talks with Jim Boob for the past few days so I think it might be the Duggars who are afraid of showing their faces in public before the scandal has blown over. I think they were honestly expecting a much more favourable reaction to their Megan Kelly interviews and are reeling a bit right now; they probably feel they can't trust anyone in the public not to throw rotten eggs at them or something. They know can't control people at a conference away from their home turf, and I think they must be aware that at least some people in that audience would be disgusted by their molestation cover up. Jim'chelle may not entirely understand why or agree but there must be some awareness on their part past PERSECUTION OMG, right?

Edited by Vaysh
  • Love 12
(edited)

I checked the conference line-up, and it features people like RC Sproul Jr. Ewww. 

Anyway, yeah, the Duggar event is ~free with your $89 paid admission. Still, having my ears subjected to the Duggars and their violins? (I'm assuming violins would have been involved.) Could that qualify as assault with a deady weapon? Depending on how long the music went on, I think I'd pay money to not listen. Good thing the event was optional - and now, nonexistent. 

ETA: Here's the description of the two separate events from the archived version of the conference site:

Dinner with the Duggars
A once-in-a-lifetime opportunity! Enjoy an exclusive meet-and-greet, followed by dinner with the Duggar family and help support the ministry of Christian Home Educators of Colorado. $100 per person and space is limited.

Friday Evening with the Duggars
Join us on Friday, June 19th, at 7:00 pm for a special evening with the Duggar Family. Come and hear the Duggar kids perform a special musical program, followed by a presentation with Jim Bob and Michelle. Entry is free with a full conference pass, and seating will be on a first-come, first-served basis. Seating is limited. Doors open at 6:00 pm. Although this is a first-come, first-served event, please indicate on your registration how many from your party will be attending this event.

Dinner with the Duggar family. I can only imagine the scintillating dinner conversations. Why pay $100 to become dumber than you were before?  Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 20

Pls forgive me if this has already been discussed but I was just at Walgreens & saw the June 8th issue of In Touch, "Duggar's House of Horrors".

OUCH!

Without having read the article, they make it sound like that guy in Cleveland who was holding those women captive. 

I may have to stop at Rite Aid on my home to peruse this while waiting in the 8-person-deep line.

• Love 2

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3120768/The-downfall-Duggars-hate-filled-robocall-photo-lesbian-kiss-exposed-dark-family-secrets.html

And there ya have it.

One of these girls remembered an old post on Pickles that I made and pulled it up from January saying "congrats sis we did it" the day the story broke so I suspected it was them all along.

• Love 1

I really hope the mods pull posts related to the leaker. It's irresponsible to post their names in public.

Edited to add: It's possible the CHEC is still full of Duggar leghumpers, but I think time will tell how strong their appeal remains to the Christian homeschool crowd(s) after all this.

No one wants incestuous molestation associated with their brand, or philosophy.

• Love 2

I really hope the mods pull posts related to the leaker. It's irresponsible to post their names in public.

If the Daily Mail has it, it's public record.  Also, the person who tipped off InTouch came forward and is admitting it.  

• Love 3

Thanks for your concern, JoanArc.

The leaker is named in a publication, with her photo. 

She's also quoted:

In an exclusive interview with Daily Mail Online, Barnfield, who works full time in loss prevention to support her two sons and a daughter, said that she and her family were shocked by the call.

PTV policy is that if something like this has been revealed in the press, we can discuss it here. That's why we went from banning speculation on which sisters Josh molested to allowing people to discuss Jill and Jessa, who did the interview. By the same rule, however, we don't know the other two sisters, so we're not allowing speculation on them.

I hope this is clear. If you have any questions, please PM at least two mods, because some of us are traveling at various times. The mods who are currently active include: me, FrenchToast, BigSkyGirl, Aethera, and AmandaPanda.

Thanks!

• Love 5

I disagree the woman has outed herself.

If the Daily Mail has it, it's public record.  Also, the person who tipped off InTouch came forward and is admitting it.  

She'd been on the DL for a few weeks. We weren't sup[posed to speculate. Maybe Michelle really did say 'lesbian conspiracy'!

• Love 3

Can I just say it?  (And this isn't directed at anyone here.)  I'm so sick of hearing these people and their defenders spewing crap about "conspiracies" and "persecution".  They act like having their television show pulled is the equivalent to the Romans feeding Christians to the lions.  

• Love 20

Hey, their defenders really were right. It was the evil gay agenda that took them down.

"But if ye will not do so, behold, ye have sinned against the Lord: and be sure your sin will find you out" (Num. 32:23)

• Love 6

Remember the whole kissing thing where the women first appeared was because of the social media post of Jesse/Ben kissing, then Jill/Derrick and HornDog and mama, with invites of everybody to post.  Then they took down all same sex postings.  So it was Horney and mama's invite that actually started it.  Dumb and dumber.

• Love 8

why? they came forward and admitted it...it is public record.

She'd been on the DL for a few weeks. We weren't sup[posed to speculate. Maybe Michelle really did say 'lesbian conspiracy'!

To me it still begs the question, how did this woman know it? I'm thinking lots of locals -- friends of police and social services, etc. must have known and stayed quiet. In my small town experience, human decency would keep people from going to the press (except for reasons like this woman's), but pretty much the whole town would know it. I wonder whether members of the press are hanging out at the local coffee shops and feed stores. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Remember the whole kissing thing where the women first appeared was because of the social media post of Jesse/Ben kissing, then Jill/Derrick and HornDog and mama, with invites of everybody to post.  Then they took down all same sex postings.  So it was Horney and mama's invite that actually started it.  Dumb and dumber.

I love poetic justice..

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 7

To me it still begs the question, how did this woman know it? I'm thinking lots of locals -- friends of police and social services, etc. must have known and stayed quiet. In my small town experience, human decency would keep people from going to the press (except for reasons like this woman's), but pretty much the whole town would know it. I wonder whether members of the press are hanging out at the local coffee shops and feed stores. 

The sister lives in Tonitown and went to school with MEchelle.

If Josh confessed in church in front of everyone then everyone knew his business and it's a small town people talk.

• Love 4