Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

http://backtalk.kinja.com/tonight-derick-is-nervous-to-talk-to-jim-bob-josh-smi-1585726499

Does this link even work...? I don't know but this is pretty hilarious to me.

Thanks for this link. The article cracked me up, especially these selections:

'The little girls flash a look like "You wanna step up to me?" But then before Josie could bite his leg like a tiny wolverine, Jim Bob and Derick go and talk about their feelings.'

"Us older girls" are doing a book tour with that great grammar and they are first going to Good Morning America and then they will go across America. The girls are with the entire family. They keep talking about their last trip as a family.

Their last book tour as a family.

Their last dinner theater as a family.

Their last pickle making junket as a family.

Damnit, the girls are getting married. Not dying. Except for Jana's hopes.'

• Love 2

No it isn't their last as a family.  They just keep adding to it.  As if their own 19 were not enough, they bring the daughter-in-law, grandkids and now will have sons-in-law and more grandkids.  They'll have to rent a whole hotel soon.  And 2 or 3 stink buses.  Think ahead 10 years.  They'll have to book a whole town.

• Love 1

This might be off topic, (the mention of grandchildren made me think of it) but what if one of the kids has fertility issues? It would be sad of course, I can imagine it'd be hard to hear for anyone, but would they be shamed? Would they be treated as if they're not womanly enough? (They'll never believe it could be a problem with the man.) I can guess that they would probably feel as if they have no purpose; and in the Gothard world, they don't. It's so bizarre and sad.

• Love 2

No it isn't their last as a family.  They just keep adding to it.  As if their own 19 were not enough, they bring the daughter-in-law, grandkids and now will have sons-in-law and more grandkids.  They'll have to rent a whole hotel soon.  And 2 or 3 stink buses.  Think ahead 10 years.  They'll have to book a whole town.

That's precisely the objective.

• Love 3

I was especially impressed with the changes made with Jinger and Michelle.  They both looked immensely better I thought.  Jana looked really gorgeous to me, but she's usually lovely in photos.  

• Love 2

That video is only a short clip that doesn't show the results of the makeovers? Or am I missing it somewhere? Also, I like how one of the rules is "no haircuts." Jill and Jessa in particular could easily lop off eight inches and still have very long hair.

• Love 3

Wow!  A little makeup and a softer hairstyle can do wonders.  I've always thought Jana was gorgeous, but never noticed that Jinger and Joy are both quite attractive.  I think with the exceptions of Jill and Josie, the Duggars girls are very pretty. 

• Love 5

I was especially impressed with the changes made with Jinger and Michelle.  They both looked immensely better I thought.  Jana looked really gorgeous to me, but she's usually lovely in photos.

I'm not a MEchelle fan in any way, but she looks really beautiful here. And the girls are all very pretty, but Joy has absolutely gorgeous skin. Jana, as usual, is stunning.

• Love 7

The only one who looks really different is Michelle and, marginally, Joy (because of the braid). I think the others look pretty much the same as they do when they are doing their own hair and makeup. I guess the most significant difference for them are the clothes.

• Love 3

He's young.  If you want some really bad writing, see if you can find TFDW's version of his brush with the law when he tried to steal some pecans while driving home from a Bible Bee.  The story that is now posted on his website is bad enough, but the one he originally posted (and then edited) is found on Free Jinger, complete with snark.

Wow, now THAT is bad writing. Maybe this is a dumb question considering he's Gothard, but did TFDW go to college? If not, I'll cut him some slack. But if yes, sorry - no excuses for that mess.

IDK, maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but.... well, the Duggars do clean up nice, but People's Most Beautiful? Really? Can People be up this family's ass any harder?

Then again, I've questioned a lot of People's selections over the years. 

• Love 16

Why can't Michelle keep that look. Much more modern, and less crazy.

I don't get it either. She said it was very like the way she wore her hair on her wedding day. Isn't that supposed to be Gothard's point?

The only one who looks really different is Michelle and, marginally, Joy (because of the braid). I think the others look pretty much the same as they do when they are doing their own hair and makeup. I guess the most significant difference for them are the clothes.

Gotta be honest, IMO, no one looks all that different and certainly not unrecognizable. Most of the time makeovers that transform someone involve cutting and/or coloring hair etc. The Duggars wouldn't allow any significant hair changes and therefore to me, they don't really look anything more than just painted up nicely. Joy looks the most different of the group but not very - and then it's her hair. What would be interesting is if there was an actual full-on makeover with haircuts that suit facial shapes, hair types and age - looking at you Me-chelle. But unless the ratings were in a serious nosedive, I doubt that Boob would ever approve that.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 3

Mechelle looks lovely but guess she doesn't want to spend that much time on herself on a daily basis. Not to mention she'd probably just get fixed up and Boob would jump her again, so what's the use? Jill, everybody gets the idea that you were hugely pregnant without your belly thrusting, hands on and under the hump. That one is tackiness personified.

• Love 4

Of course Ben sends flowers with OTT notes and writes overwrought poetry.   He's 18 and in the throes of puppy love.   That's what immature guys do when they are love.   If Jessa wanted a grown up husband, she should have asked Daddy for one.

• Love 7

Joy looks lovely and fresh, the other girls look pretty much the same way they always do and Michelle looks fantastic! That hair style suits her way better than the crunchy curls she usually sports. There is some serious contouring going on with her make-up though, her face looks completely different and not very natural, especially her jawline.

You can watch it here! They all look pretty, especially Jana and Joy. Michelle looks a lot less crazy when she's not sporting her 80s do.

Thanks for posting, KatWay!

I agree with everyone, no one looks all that different. Although Michelle looks a heck of a lot better without those silly tight perm curls. She looked pretty good when they pinned or rolled her hair up at the beginning of the clip and you can sort of get an idea of how she'd look with shorter hair and away from her face and she looked good. She could be a good looking woman without the crazy hair and frumpy clothing choices.

Jessa looked exactly the same. All the girls needed about 6-8 inches cut off the length of their hair. Except maybe Jana, she could get away with a 3 inch trim. Who wouldn't want a free haircut?? They must be so paranoid that someone is going to cut their precious locks too short. They'd rather have dry, stringy lifeless super long hair vs healthy, thicker bouncy long hair.

• Love 5

That's a really pretty shot of Jinger.  Her hair is lovely, and she's got just the right amount of eyeliner, of which normally she's a bit heavy-handed.  Jill should have had someone professionally do her makeup for her on her wedding day.  That's the best she's ever looked. 

• Love 3

I really almost hate to say this, but at the 1:08 mark, MEchelle looks absolutely stunning. (The weird thing, though -- IMO, NONE of the girls but Josie resembles her.) 

I wish Grandma had gotten a makeover, too. I guess we should be grateful Jana got one; I half-expected her to be busy cooking for the crew, or altering the clothes for the shoot. 

Edited by Literata
  • Love 2
I wish Grandma had gotten a makeover, too. I guess we should be grateful Jana got one; I half-expected her to be busy cooking for the crew, or altering the clothes for the shoot.

IKR? Grandma deserves some pampering and a great makeover.  I'm surprised Anna didn't hop on a plane and drag her brood out to Arkansas for a freebie. 

• Love 2

I think that they all looked just a little better than usual.  I totally agree that Jana was just beautiful - she has always had (to me) a quiet beauty but it was brought out in  such a lovely fashion.  I liked that Jinger (?) did not have her usually heavy handed eyeliner And Joy looked like a sweet young lady.  Boy, did Michelle look so much better, younger, and brighter after her make over.  I

• Love 2

I'm very surprised they allowed male hairstylists to fix their hair.

And Jim-Bob better watch out, young men are going to be knocking on his door for Joy very soon.  Lovely young lady!

Maybe the suitors are intimidated by Jana--she is just so beautiful!

• Love 2

i see next week the show is about poor little Josie having a seizure, and I believe Michelle says she had not had one in a long time(If I heard correctly). Why must they put something like that on tv. That family has no bounds in terms of privacy. There are some things that should just not be shown on tv.

• Love 8

I'm very surprised they allowed male hairstylists to fix their hair.

And Jim-Bob better watch out, young men are going to be knocking on his door for Joy very soon. Lovely young lady!

Maybe the suitors are intimidated by Jana--she is just so beautiful!

Maybe this was the point. JB might have okayed this so the suitors will come a knocking for Jana.

• Love 1

You would think MEchelle would think of a better adjective besides the greatly overused "special".

I wonder if MEchelle realizes that every time she or a member of her family constantly overuses the words neat/special/precious/bla bla bla she is giving away the fact that their family does not READ?

Seriously. Reading helps build vocabulary. Reading also expands life experience and encourages imagination, which is probably why she frowns on it as well. I have heard that several of her children have learning disabilities; why not a) get them some help and b) read to them?

• Love 7

A lot of good points here. And a commenter had one of the best points too, one that had never occurred to me. "People would go crazy if this was in the hood..."

Very true.

Which is partially why Marjorie confuses me. These aren't multicultural, interracial/interethnic marriage approving folks.

During the election I remember a quote that went something like - "If the Duggars were black they'd be a Mitt Romney talking point."

• Love 7

Why doesn't People magazine just change its name to Duggar magazine?  Sheeesh!

They can't do that. When things are slow celebrity-wise, like it is now, the Duggars can always be counted on for some kind of wackiness - real or invented. If Kate had had her baby shortly before or after Israel, the Duggars would have relegated to the "Also This Week..." page. Some tabloid that advertises on this forum is talking about "Duggar Daughter Announces She's Leaving the Show..." Pure speculation on their part. 

• Love 1