Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

Not to veer too far off this thread's topic, and I agree that sports (and even TV, movies, and music can have more hotly contested discussions) than politics, I just think politics opens the door to the other "unsavory" topics such as race and religion. Yes, those things are covered in TV but it is a lot clearer to see when a poster is being an ass as opposed to discussing an episode of a show. (Maybe that is my UO.) Of course, you will find outlier conversations that make my opinion false. (Or maybe my opinion is just false.)

• Love 2
It's not a UO with me. I've seen news reports where people are, like. setting stuff on fire and generally going crazy because the Bulls won a basketball game.

A guy poisoned 100+ y/o trees on a college campus because football. I'd go on with other real world examples, but I don't have the next 12 hours or so to spare listing examples. 

Edited by ganesh

So I guess my UO is that the no politics rule is my favorite feature of this site. 

The difference I see is that I can count on one hand the number of times a non sports topic has devolved into a sports shouting match.  Political shouting matches happen on every other thread I read, no matter the topic. I'm just trying to see if Jar Jar Binks was a sith lord, I don't want the discussion to include dems vs reps.

• Love 20
So I guess my UO is that the no politics rule is my favorite feature of this site.

Me, too.

I'm a member of a community discussion board that's primarily retirees. The site-owners first allowed political discussion, then forbid it entirely, then created a politics section that members had to sign into separately, then changed everyone's usernames in that section to "guest" to help forestall personal vendettas, then threw in the towel and forbid all politics again. Apparently even making a money off the extra hits wasn't worth the headache.

In case you thought grandparents were peaceable, kindly folk. ;)

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 1

Me, too.

I'm a member of a community discussion board that's primarily retirees. The site-owners first allowed political discussion, then forbid it entirely, then created a politics section that members had to sign into separately, then changed everyone's usernames in that section to "guest" to help forestall personal vendettas, then threw in the towel and forbid all politics again. Apparently even making a money off the extra hits wasn't worth the headache.

In case you thought grandparents were peaceable, kindly folk. ;)

This reminds me of an excellent board I belong to that discusses classic films.  The mods there have a rule against arguing about politics, religion, sports, or dimwit celebrities, or saying the same old thing more than twice, and while most of the time it's followed...you guessed it, some of it creeps in anyway.  There's one person there whose screen name makes me think "not him again..." but anyway I try not to get into flame wars online and I appreciate it when other people do the same. 

• Love 1

The sports threads here are actually fine. I don't see why commenting on sports telecasts is much different than a news telecast though. There's really no trolling or flaming here at all.

But they can make whatever rules they want and I'll follow them. This place is way way way more relaxed on free speech than the other place. 

• Love 5

Posting one (I assume) very popular opinion:  The mods here do an excellent job of keeping conversations civil and (mostly) on topic, while not being overbearing as on other sites.  A round of applause for our mods!

• Love 21

UO regarding The Bachelor-- it's 75% (or more) fake, and the leads control very, very little. It's manipulated by producers for maximum drama and ratings. Stunt casting and creative editing create the show we see later-- sometimes it's obvious that talking heads are filmed much later, or that sound bites are added to unrelated scenes. The leads do not plan dates, and I seriously doubt they get to choose the participants, either.

I watch the show. It's silly and fun, but every season, there are posters who rag on the lead for being a shallow jerk who "leads the women on." Yes, that's the show's premise, and the women know it. Worse, they complain that the lead never asks Girl X about Y, or shows no interest to A, B, or C on a group date. We see just a fraction of the footage. I'm sure some of the participants are jerks, but I give the side eye to anyone who thinks they can accurately judge the events of a full week based on an 60 minutes of video. Take out the commercials, previews, and flashbacks, and there's very little substance.

Edited by Pixie Chicken
  • Love 1

UO regarding The Bachelor-- it's 75% (or more) fake, and the leads control very, very little. It's manipulated by producers for maximum drama and ratings. Stunt casting and creative editing create the show we see later-- sometimes it's obvious that talking heads are filmed much later, or that sound bites are added to unrelated scenes. The leads do not plan dates, and I seriously doubt they get to choose the participants, either.

I watch the show. It's silly and fun, but every season, there are posters who rag on the lead for being a shallow jerk who "leads the women on." Yes, that's the show's premise, and the women know it. Worse, they complain that the lead never asks Girl X about Y, or shows no interest to A, B, or C on a group date. We see just a fraction of the footage. I'm sure some of the participants are jerks, but I give the side eye to anyone who thinks they can accurately judge the events of a full week based on an 60 minutes of video. Take out the commercials, previews, and flashbacks, and there's very little substance.

I don't watch The Bachelor, but what you have described is the pet peeve that I have with viewers of every reality show that does not recognize the fake, from House Hunters to Property Brothers to Big Brother to America's Top Model  and on and on, is this!

• Love 3

I'm not sure what the point is of following a 'reality' show which is scripted to create characters and follow a story line if you don't react to the characters and the storyline. If the actors are sensitive, they should probably audition for roles where they play someone with a different name.

• Love 1

I'm not sure what the point is of following a 'reality' show which is scripted to create characters and follow a story line if you don't react to the characters and the storyline.

I'm not sure I understand this statement, but I would say that I can follow and enjoy a storyline and yet I realize it's just a fraction of what actually happened. I can't extrapolate a tiny bit of footage into an indictment of someone's morality.

For instance, if a Bachelor lead says, "I really enjoyed getting to know Suzy better this week," I don't think it's reasonable to protest that he only talked to Suzy for two minutes, or complain that he didn't ask what she did for a living. I recognize that there's probably some dull footage on the cutting room floor.

And yet, there are always those who say things like, "He's a fake and a liar and a terrible person. He's the worst Bachelor ever. How can he say he enjoyed his time with Suzy when he really didn't even talk to her? Boy, I feel sorry for the person he picks. Since he's a liar, he's probably a cheater too."

Edited by Pixie Chicken
  • Love 1

I don't get most reality TV, period.

If I want to see real people doing their stuff in their environment, I go outside. If I want to watch fake people doing stuff, I watch TV. Why would I want to watch real people doing fake stuff badly on TV is a mystery to me. Granted, I've never actually watched this stuff but I can't see myself ever wasting time for it. There is excellent TV these days, well written and well acted, that tells a story instead of people throwing things at each other (I once saw a clip of people doing that, not sure what it was about). Some housewives I think.

If I want to see real people competing about stuff (singing, cooking, being good at their job or hobby), that I get. It's a competition, it makes sense to me. Fake surviving on a fake island, living in a place with other people, watching people being at their trashiest selves, competing for a guy or woman on TV....doesn't. Watching that....doesn't make sense to me at all. It's not interesting, it's not even remotely real, I don't care about them because the fact that they do this stuff in public is just appalling and tasteless and does not make me want to like them.

So, since most reality TV is scripted, what is the point? These don't seem to be very interesting scripts, just people trying to be as outrageous or memorable as possible. Outrageous only goes so far until it gets boring (see Kim Kardashian being naked on camera.....again). The only person who managed to be outrageous for a long time I can think of was Madonna. Maybe David Bowie although he got over trying to do that too. And I don't find public nudity in any way outrageous, interesting or shocking. How about do something well instead of just standing there while being naked.

Reality TV and most of its "stars" make me depressed about the state of humankind. I watch TV to be entertained, not to get depressed.

• Love 17

I generally watch two kinds of reality tv: stuff that shows me other countries (Amazing Race, House Hunters International) and stuff which requires some talent (American Idol - though I am glad it's ending).  The only exception is America's Next Top Model, which I watched just to see how much more insane Tyra Banks could get; its very trainwreckiness was its appeal.

• Love 1
So, since most reality TV is scripted, what is the point? These don't seem to be very interesting scripts, just people trying to be as outrageous or memorable as possible. Outrageous only goes so far until it gets boring

Law & Order, the Mothership version, did an episode where a murder took place on a reality show because the network president pushed so hard to create rivalries among the castmembers for the sake of ratings that one of the guys got shoved off of a roof to his death. The incident was caught on camera, and at the end of the episode the characters were talking about how some TV station was trying to get the tape released so they could show it on the air. I don't know if that was one of L & O's "ripped from the headlines" plots or not, but it doesn't seem that far-fetched, sad to say.

• Love 1

I've heard great things about The Americans, and was very happy to see it was on Amazon Prime. Then I watched it...not so happy anymore, I thought it was some of the worst dreck I have ever seen.

• Love 4

There's such a range of reality. Even the Emmys have divided their categories into Structured, Unstructured and Competition, but people still tend to associate "reality TV" with shows like Honey Boo Boo and the Kardashians.

I primarily read non-fiction, including a lot of personal memoirs, and also enjoys documentaries. Fact-based books are more compelling to me than fiction in some ways because the stakes are higher and emotions are genuine. Candid reality shows can be viewed in that same vein -- as exemplars of the human condition. I also think a number of people watch shows like the Housewives solely because they enjoy mocking.

Anyway, I can understand the draw. I've watched a lot of competitive shows, but those get stale just the same as scripted dramas. I avoid depressing fare like Hoarders or Intervention, as well as sophomoric stunt shows in the Jackass model. And everyone ages out of stuff like The Real World at some point.

• Love 3

I just think if I want non-fiction on TV, I watch a documentary not some trashy wannabe who throws things or is naked on social media. Same with travel reality TV. What's wrong with a show/movie about someone who travels the world and shows us what they see? Maybe with some cultural education thrown in? Am I that old?

Showing people who obviously have serious problems on TV, addiction, hoarding, being morbidly obese, whatever, I find it incredibly tasteless. Yes, these people sign their privacy and their dignity away willingly but that doesn't really want to make me see them. That's the moment when I lose all empathy I might have for someone once they showcase it for all to see and gawk at. I really hope they get paid very well, otherwise, I don't see the appeal letting everyone and all your long-lost boy-/girlfriends/classmates/long lost relatives know what a mess you have become.

I just think if I want non-fiction on TV, I watch a documentary not some trashy wannabe who throws things or is naked on social media. Same with travel reality TV. What's wrong with a show/movie about someone who travels the world and shows us what they see? Maybe with some cultural education thrown in? Am I that old?

Strip away the bad boy image and Anthony Bourdain often makes those kinds of travel shows. IMO, when he's hanging out trying to be all cool with superstar chefs, his shows tend to drag, but put him in a sketchy environment (Libya, the Congo, getting evacuated by Marines in Beiruit, tea with the racist in, I think Indonesia) and he often does a wonderful job showing the human condition and humanity in general in places very different from his usual comfort zone.

• Love 4

I get your point here, though I admit that I find both sides of the coin annoying.  You've already mentioned the ire towards the bachelor(ette), but I don't think any of the contestants are "good" people who "deserve better" just because they weren't "chosen" or well-liked. Ultimately, I forget about the vast majority of these people post-season anyway.   

I don't care who watches reality TV.  I don't watch much of it, but there's plenty of scripted TV that doesn't appeal to me, either.  And at least with reality TV, there are no "this show is better than most of what's on TV" or "this is the best show you're not watching" declarations.  

• Love 4

I'm not usually a big fan of superhero shows (which is a UO) and don't like Arrow, but for some reason I am really loving DC's Legends of Tomorrow (which seems to be an even more unpopular opinion!) 

I don't watch Arrow either but I love Legends of Tomorrow. Sara is my favorite character.

Boy Meets World

I really liked Cory and Lauren and I still wish that the show had had the guts to actually go with it at least for a little while.

I never could take Cory and Topanga seriously. If the relationship would've developed organically, then maybe. But, it was a total retcon. The whole 'we've been in love and dated since we were 2' BS was just eye-rollingly annoying.

• Love 1

I never could take Cory and Topanga seriously. If the relationship would've developed organically, then maybe. But, it was a total retcon. The whole 'we've been in love and dated since we were 2' BS was just eye-rollingly annoying.

I didn't mind when the couple in question tossed that off as some anecdotal cuteness, but I hated, hated, HATED when every other character treated them like relationship gods because of that. Especially when the adults went along with it. You've known each other since you were two, you started dating at 14 like normal kids. The idea that their whole family supports the idea that they've been a couple for their whole lives is unsettling to me.

• Love 4

I used to like American Idol and to a lesser extent The Voice because of the nature of the show, talented kids getting a shot at a career.  Lately it's really bugged me how scripted they are.  A contestant is introduced in a prepared clip, usually with some angle, some tragedy he/she overcame to make the audience care.  Then inevitably a judge will bring up that angle, trying to make it sound like a random question.  ("Tell me about your family.  Oh, your mother died when you were 3?")  It's so obviously right there in the judges' notes with a direction to them to bring it up.  It's not an organic interview.  And because of this it makes me believe the judges' opinions are also producer driven: Pick the people who have dramatic stories, even at the expense of more talented contestants.  Maybe that's why it's so rare for any of these kids to actually have any success in the industry.

• Love 3

I'm not usually a big fan of superhero shows (which is a UO) and don't like Arrow, but for some reason I am really loving DC's Legends of Tomorrow (which seems to be an even more unpopular opinion!)

I enjoy Arrow, but I also really like Legends of Tomorrow, probably because it's reminiscent of those cheesy 70s sci-fi shows.  I also love every scenery chewing moment of Wentworth Miller's character and it's not because he's cute or because I'm a big fan of his from other projects (I've only seen the first season of Prison Break and I don't think I've seen him in anything else). I just love his character's over the top-ness.  When it comes to cute, Brandon Routh/Ray Palmer is my guy on that show.  He's such a goofy, clueless, and adorable genius. 

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 1
I used to like American Idol and to a lesser extent The Voice because of the nature of the show, talented kids getting a shot at a career.  Lately it's really bugged me how scripted they are.  A contestant is introduced in a prepared clip, usually with some angle, some tragedy he/she overcame to make the audience care.  Then inevitably a judge will bring up that angle, trying to make it sound like a random question.  ("Tell me about your family.  Oh, your mother died when you were 3?")  It's so obviously right there in the judges' notes with a direction to them to bring it up.  It's not an organic interview.  And because of this it makes me believe the judges' opinions are also producer driven: Pick the people who have dramatic stories, even at the expense of more talented contestants.  Maybe that's why it's so rare for any of these kids to actually have any success in the industry.

That really seems like the go to anymore on competition shows. Its all over the cooking and baking competition.

My mom died, they struggled to over come a rough childhood or tragedy, or something. The judges or producers

are more interested in the "story" whatever it is then whether or not the contestant is any good at the cooking

or baking, or singing. Just being on good contestants.

The only reason to like "reality" shows is because it gave me Unreal and Burning Love (the first season with Ken Marino - not sure if there were more or not).

I sincerely liked RockStar: INXS and used to enjoy the crazy of American's Next Top Model for several seasons.  Like proserpina65, Tyra Banks being BSC was a huge factor.  Well, also loved the snark and edge Janice Dickinson brought to the table.

ETA: Correct my wildly creative spelling of proserpina65.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 2

My People vs OJ UO: I think Cuba Gooding Jr is terrific casting for OJ. He is shorter than OJ, but he has the mannerisms down pat, I think he has the charm OJ displayed at the time, and for as affable as I find the actor, he's making me believe his rage when he portrays the darker side of OJ.

I also think Travolta is doing a great job as well, and I didn't mind the Kardashian kids at all - 5 minutes of screen time total (if that) over 8 hours isn't that much.

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 7

I don't watch The Bachelor, but what you have described is the pet peeve that I have with viewers of every reality show that does not recognize the fake, from House Hunters to Property Brothers to Big Brother to America's Top Model  and on and on, is this!

i think viewers, especially folks who comment on the internet, recognize "the fake", they just don't feel the need to say so every time they say something about the show.  And even if a viewer doesn't recognize "the fake", so what?  Who's it hurting?

• Love 4

So, is it a UO to prefer the original Cosmos?  Because, while I enjoy Neil deGrasse Tyson in general and his presentation of Cosmos in particular, I felt it was dumbed down for a modern audience compared to the original.  Which is probably just an accurate reflection of the state of scientific education/awareness today, but depresses me nonetheless. 

I didn't like Neil deGrasse Tyson's Cosmos, and I stopped watched after the first episode. I thought the animation was particularly bad. I know people worship him like he's the greatest scientist evah, but I think he's kind of a douche.

• Love 1

I sincerely liked RockStar: INXS and used to enjoy the crazy of American's Next Top Model for several seasons. Like proserpina65, Tyra Banks being BSC was a huge factor. Well, also loved the snark and edge Janice Dickinson brought to the table.

ETA: Correct my wildly creative spelling of proserpina65.

I loved Rockstar INXS . So much that I was very disappointed when Journey choose Arnel Pineda off of YouTube. He was a veteran of Filipino reality TV and the rules of RockStar dictated that Journey could keep him no matter who we voted for. It would have been a win, win situation. Edited by Raja
  • Love 1

Didn't Cory and Topanga hate each other at the start of Boy Meets World?

I remember him thinking she was a weirdo the first season, then BOOM!- they were madly in love the next, and always had been.  Since I had taken a break and returned to the show, it really confused me.  I did not get the great love story.

Didn't Cory and Topanga hate each other at the start of Boy Meets World?

I remember him thinking she was a weirdo the first season, then BOOM!- they were madly in love the next, and always had been. Since I had taken a break and returned to the show, it really confused me. I did not get the great love story.

They retconned that Corey and Topanga had been in love practically before they were born.

I don't like it on tv when parents call themselves "mom" to their kids. "Mom is coming home with dinner." Just talk to the kids like their people!

It is a multi cultural thing. Like with Filipinos the honorific title down to big brother/sister is always included. What I find weird is Mexicans calling their little girls mom, yet I never see it portrayed on American TV since it is not as common parents calling themselves "mom and dad" in many cultures

They retconned that Corey and Topanga had been in love practically before they were born.

They kind of hand waved it by having Cory say that when he was 6, Eric told him it wasn't cool to have a friend who was a girl, so he threw dirt at Topanga for the next 7 years.

• Love 1

Heh, my parents refer to each other as mom and dad.

Mine too. My mom does it more often than my dad, but yeah, I'm used to it by now.

Possible UO?

In the Battle of the Late Night Jimmys I prefer Kimmel to Fallon by a landslide. I had a HUGE crush on Fallon during his SNL years, but something about Kimmel works better for me as a host. 

Edited by UYI

In the Battle of the Late Night Jimmys I prefer Kimmel to Fallon by a landslide. I had a HUGE crush on Fallon during his SNL years, but something about Kimmel works better for me as a host. 

Well Jimmy Kimmel is quite funny. Jimmy Fallon is not. Although I never really understood why there are so many late night TV shows like that, in America. I mean, how many times can you hear the same guests answering the same anaemic questions in the same format?

If it's not Kimmel it's Fallon or Stewart or Colbert (now). Used to be Letterman and Leno and O'Brien and god knows how many others. Oh, and James Corden as well. What is wrong with you, America? Why do you keep taking the worst dregs of UK 'talent'?

I don't like it on tv when parents call themselves "mom" to their kids. "Mom is coming home with dinner." Just talk to the kids like their people!

Do you mean like in the third person? Or calling each other that? I don't call myself Mom to the kids, but I refer to my husband as Dad to them. As in, "Dad will be home in an hour."

• Love 1

Since season 2 of Daredevil has been released, I need to unload: I dislike the character of Karen and don't think the actress who plays her is all that attractive. All the praise is confounding to me.

• Love 2

That really seems like the go to anymore on competition shows. Its all over the cooking and baking competition.

My mom died, they struggled to over come a rough childhood or tragedy, or something. The judges or producers

are more interested in the "story" whatever it is then whether or not the contestant is any good at the cooking

or baking, or singing. Just being on good contestants.

That's why I like The Great British Baking Show (or The Great British Bake Off, if you prefer).  Everyone is nice and supportive of each other and you don't have to listen to anyone's sob stories.  And one annoying thing about having to hear about people's personal drama is that sometimes it seems like they're reaching to find some tragedy in the person's life and the event isn't actually affecting them or driving them to succeed in the competition.

I don't think I've ever seen a parent referring to themselves as Mom or Dad when talking to an older kid. It's something people do to infants/toddlers.  It seems very infantalizing to do it to someone older.  Maybe people in real life do this, I don't know, but it strikes me as something the writers know people do without thinking about how people only do it with little, little kids.

• Love 3