Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

Joanie could’ve done way better than Chachi.

Way, WAY better.

I agree!

However, that's by no means a rare or unpopular opinion!

OTOH, those holding the opposite POV likely might be able to congregate in the back seat of a VW Beetle- with plenty of room left over to  square dance!

• LOL 6

I always loved Sylvester and Tweety bird, Scooby Doo, Bugs Bunny and Chili Willie. And the Flinstones and the Jetsons. Astro's my favorite on the Jetsons while I love all the characters on the Flinstones. Fred can be a jerk but he really does love Wilma and Pebbles.

One weird thing about the two shows. Jane is only thirty-tree when the Jetsons starts and mentions she was married at seventeen and had Judy at nineteen. I don't know why Jane had to be so young especially with all the technology to look young forever and George's grandfather is over a hundred and still more active then George he wears out the family when he visits. I don't know how old Wilma and Betty were when they married but it was after they graduated and they did have jobs at time. Fred and Wilma are married ten years in the first season and don't have Pebbles for until season three. There's also an episode where Fred is trying to win a race to earn money for Pebbles and Bam Bam's education. Despite being in the stone age he wants both to get a good education (well so does Barney but the race was Fred's idea). You'd think the marriage ages and kids would be reverse the Jetsons live in the future where they can live over a hundred but they marry young and have their first kid young. But the Flinstones who live in the Stone Age may have married young but have their only kid after thirteen years of marriage. Betty and Barney are unable to have a kid at all but someone leaves a baby on their porch. 

• Like 5
15 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I always loved Sylvester and Tweety bird, Scooby Doo, Bugs Bunny and Chili Willie. And the Flinstones and the Jetsons. Astro's my favorite on the Jetsons while I love all the characters on the Flinstones. Fred can be a jerk but he really does love Wilma and Pebbles.

One weird thing about the two shows. Jane is only thirty-tree when the Jetsons starts and mentions she was married at seventeen and had Judy at nineteen. I don't know why Jane had to be so young especially with all the technology to look young forever and George's grandfather is over a hundred and still more active then George he wears out the family when he visits. I don't know how old Wilma and Betty were when they married but it was after they graduated and they did have jobs at time. Fred and Wilma are married ten years in the first season and don't have Pebbles for until season three. There's also an episode where Fred is trying to win a race to earn money for Pebbles and Bam Bam's education. Despite being in the stone age he wants both to get a good education (well so does Barney but the race was Fred's idea). You'd think the marriage ages and kids would be reverse the Jetsons live in the future where they can live over a hundred but they marry young and have their first kid young. But the Flinstones who live in the Stone Age may have married young but have their only kid after thirteen years of marriage. Betty and Barney are unable to have a kid at all but someone leaves a baby on their porch. 

I agree! Moreover, despite them living on space-age cuisine instead of bronto-ribs, longtime parents George and Jane don't look any younger than the  parents of todder Fred and Wilma!

While somehow Pebbles seemed to luck out getting Wilma's recessive gene for ginger instead of Fred's brunette dominant one, it seemed odd that both Judy and Elroy were blondes (and not 'strawberry blondes')despite George and Jane being redheads! All I can think of is that maybe they somehow took after their Great-Grandpa Montague who was 110 and white haired but  may have been blonde in his youth since had more FUN than the middle generation.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Blergh said:

it seemed odd that both Judy and Elroy were blondes (and not 'strawberry blondes')despite George and Jane being redheads!

Never assume a woman’s hair color is what she was born with. Even cartoon characters.  😄

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 11
14 hours ago, Haleth said:

Never assume a woman’s hair color is what she was born with. Even cartoon characters.  😄

It's also interesting that via later series and specials, the viewers got to see Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm become teens, then grow up and become parents themselves while their respective four parents didn't seem to noticeably age! Oh well!

It's also interesting that the cartoons never seemed to attempt to age any of the Jetson family - even Judy and Elroy stayed a teen and preteen for all their depictions. Still, I guess it's apt since the Jetsons didn't seem as 'warm'  or believable as parents as the Flintstones and Rubbles were!

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 5
23 hours ago, Haleth said:

Good point. Jane seems like the type to dye her hair. Then again so does Judy.

9 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

All of you remember a whole lot more about the Jetsons and Flintstones than me. Bravo to you. 

I can't even recall individual episodes of either one 

Mytv channel airs them every Sunday morning. My dad and I watch them every Sunday. It cracks up as kids we both watch Saturday cartoons and now we watch Sunday cartoons.

21 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

How about this? They did an episode where the Jestons went down to the ground and the Flintstones were living there. 

There's been theories about that. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

In the book killing the Gilligan within, the author states the Flintstones aren't really in the past but rather a post apocalyptic scenario after a nuclear war. 

Now where we get living donosaurs in that scenario, I don't know. I guess post jurassic park as well. 

https://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Watch-Killing-Gilligan/dp/0684831066

Maybe it was more like Jurassic Park movie except of making a dinosaur theme park people somehow managed to put them all to work along with all the other animals except Dino. They are the planes, the lawnmowers, cutting tools, record player spike, used to move rock, the list goes on and on.

7 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

How about this? They did an episode where the Jestons went down to the ground and the Flintstones were living there. 

That was a crossover movie.  And it involved time travel shenanigans with one of Elroy's school projects.  The Jetsons went back in time to Bedrock and met the Flintstones and Rubbles (either before Pebbles and Bam-Bam were born or after they'd grown up and had moved out, since they don't appear).  Then the latter accidentally were transported forward to the future when Rosie tried to get the Jetsons back.  Both groups adapt and end up with some celebrity in the other time frame, but in the end they all want to go home to where they belong.  And they do.

• Like 4

Superstore - I know the Mateo and ICE thing was supposed to be sad and all but he was just so unlikable that I really didn't care. I was happy i won't have to see him for atleast a few episodes, but alas.

I really didn't care for Jonah and Amy. Those two were such boring characters, together they just doubled the boredom. Amy was never funny, which was probably by design, and Jonah was only funny with others and that too rarely. 

• Like 5
On 11/12/2023 at 11:11 AM, JimmyJabloon said:

Superstore - I know the Mateo and ICE thing was supposed to be sad and all but he was just so unlikable that I really didn't care. I was happy i won't have to see him for atleast a few episodes, but alas.

I really didn't care for Jonah and Amy. Those two were such boring characters, together they just doubled the boredom. Amy was never funny, which was probably by design, and Jonah was only funny with others and that too rarely. 

My unpopular opinion is Telenovela with Eva Longoria was a way better show than Superstore.  I hated it only lasted one season. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, QueerGirrl said:

My unpopular opinion is Telenovela with Eva Longoria was a way better show than Superstore.  I hated it only lasted one season. 

I loved Telenovela.  I would have loved to see it develop. 

I loved the second season of Superstore but that was probably the only season I truly loved. 

• Like 3
On 11/14/2023 at 8:09 PM, QueerGirrl said:

I'm still so upset it was canceled! I was just watching my favorite clip last week because I miss it so much.

• Love 1

I loved Donna on Doctor Who. She is one of my favorite companions ever, maybe even my number one favorite. However, I do feel the upcoming attempt to "correct" her story feels contrived and unnecessary. I was fine with the bittersweet way her arc concluded. No, it wasn't perfect, not even close... but must everything be??? 

Must there always be an ongoing attempt to remake, reboot, sequel-ize, or continue stories just because fans grumble a bit? Can't we just shrug and say, "it's fiction, it isn't perfect, it is what it is?"

I have to say, there is a certain arrogance to assuming that you can correct every story that either you or others disagree on. When I was younger and dumber, I tried "correcting" a problematic story through fan fiction (never published, thank God)... boy, was I embarrassingly wrong and off the mark!

• Like 7
  • Applause 2
4 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Must there always be an ongoing attempt to remake, reboot, sequel-ize, or continue stories just because fans grumble a bit? Can't we just shrug and say, "it's fiction, it isn't perfect, it is what it is?"

I have to say, there is a certain arrogance to assuming that you can correct every story that either you or others disagree on.

Very true. Unless of course it was shit writing to begin with.

For example, I wouldn’t hate a Buffy reboot that was written and directed by someone that didn’t resent all women and was willing to finally give a certain Xander Harris the comeuppance for his actions he never got in the original.

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
6 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I loved Donna on Doctor Who. She is one of my favorite companions ever, maybe even my number one favorite. However, I do feel the upcoming attempt to "correct" her story feels contrived and unnecessary. I was fine with the bittersweet way her arc concluded. No, it wasn't perfect, not even close... but must everything be??? 

I have to say, there is a certain arrogance to assuming that you can correct every story that either you or others disagree on. When I was younger and dumber, I tried "correcting" a problematic story through fan fiction (never published, thank God)... boy, was I embarrassingly wrong and off the mark!

But this is RTD continuing his own story, so if he wants to "fix" it this way, it's not arrogant. And I don't think fixing the story was the main point (even though I love it), they all said that they just hanged around during the covid rewatches and Catherine asked why can't they bring the whole gang back again for one more story and it went from there...

• Like 1
  • Useful 3

I never cared for The Cosby Show. It always felt stodgy and dull to me. A Different World was way more fun.

I'll take it a step further (though I fear this may be controversial): I think Benson was a superior sitcom, and,  even if we never learned what a shitty human being Bill Cosby is, Robert Guillame (RIP) was head and shoulders above Cosby in terms of talent, humor, and charisma. 

Seriously, that voice, that smile, that impeccable comic timing, what wasn't to love about Guillame?

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Like 12
  • Applause 8

I believe that when asked a lot of people will say 'I'm just a Bill' or 'Conjunction Junction' is the best School House Rock song. 

But for me, it is hands down 'Verb: I Do My Thing with Action.'  A small but mighty minority of us love that one best.

It is the 70s kinda funky vibe + the back up singers are an entire mood. And  as with most of the SchoolHouse Rock songs the writing is very clever.  I just adore this stanza...

I can tell you when it’s happenin’,
Past, present, future tense
Ooh! Tell you more about what’s happenin’,
Say it so it makes some sense

And the entirety of the song is about decisive action, doing, being etc.. with an action hero as the central figure... just great concept from start to finish.

• Like 11
  • Applause 2
7 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I never cared for The Cosby Show. It always felt stodgy and dull to me. A Different World was way more fun.

I'll take it a step further (though I fear this may be controversial): I think Benson was a superior sitcom, and,  even if we never learned what a shitty human being Bill Cosby is, Robert Guillame (RIP) was head and shoulders above Cosby in terms of talent, humor, and charisma. 

Seriously, that voice, that smile, that impeccable comic timing, what wasn't to love about Guillame?

He was one of the best parts of Sports Night.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I feel like I watched The Cosby Show because it was a thing that was on. I found it too preachy though. I did love A Different World. Agreed, way more fun. 

Benson was far better than both. I loved the character back on Soap (far superior to, all of them really. Soap was a fantastic show) and it was fun to see him spun off into his own show. Guillame is better than Cosby in pretty much every way. 

Edited by Mabinogia
  • Like 8
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I liked the Cosby Show as a kid when it was initially on, but watching it as an adult, one thing that really stood out was how much the kids were sheltered dorks. Yes I understand that he wanted to portray an upper class family. But at the same time it took place in New York City in the 1980's. Except you wouldn't really know it with how the kids acted.

1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

I believe that when asked a lot of people will say 'I'm just a Bill' or 'Conjunction Junction' is the best School House Rock song. 

But for me, it is hands down 'Verb: I Do My Thing with Action.'  A small but mighty minority of us love that one best.

Sorry the best School House Rock song is clearly 3 is a Magic Number.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Like 8
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, Shannon L. said:

I'm Just a Bill is great, but my favorite Schoolhouse Rock song is Interjections.  

I love the Preamble song and Lolly Lolly get your Adverbs here and Suffering till Suffrage.

• Like 9
25 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

And of course, the only reason I know the Preamble is because of Schoolhouse Rock.

I think I've shared this story before, but in my high school history class, one of our tests had it where you could get extra credit if you wrote out the Preamble to the Constitution. 

Thanks to "Schoolhouse Rock", I got that extra credit :D. I was playing out the song in my head as I wrote it out on the test, LOL. 

• Like 11
2 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I'm Just a Bill is great, but my favorite Schoolhouse Rock song is Interjections.  

"Interjections!

Show excitement!

Or Emotion!

HALLELUJAH!

HALLELUJAH!

HALLELUJAH-YEEEE-AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!

Darn! That's the end!"

That song's one of my favorites, too.

• Like 9
6 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

Have any of you heard the filk parody "Exclamations"?  It's pretty decent.

Of course, when talking about Schoolhouse Rock!, one must also consider the cover album from the mid-90s, with various artists covering different songs from the series.  About half of the ones mentioned in the current discussion were not included, but there are versions of "Verb" by Moby, "3 is a Magic Number" by Blind Melon, "Conjunction Junction" by Better Than Ezra, and "Lolly, Lolly..." by Buffalo Tom.

UO: Some of these covers are better than the originals.

ABC also had a couple other interstitial series that they used interchangably with Schoolhouse Rock!; Time for Timer and The Bod Squad.  These focused on health.

UO: Some of these are better than some Schoolhouse Rock! segments.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 11/25/2023 at 7:22 PM, JustHereForFood said:

But this is RTD continuing his own story, so if he wants to "fix" it this way, it's not arrogant. And I don't think fixing the story was the main point (even though I love it), they all said that they just hanged around during the covid rewatches and Catherine asked why can't they bring the whole gang back again for one more story and it went from there...

I don't care who did it, it's unnecessary and, imo, disrespectful to the fans.  Same with bringing back David Tennant.  10's story was finished.  Leave it there.

15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

And of course, the only reason I know the Preamble is because of Schoolhouse Rock.

And whenever I try to recite it, I always end up singing it.  Because that is how it should be done.

• Like 4
15 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I think I've shared this story before, but in my high school history class, one of our tests had it where you could get extra credit if you wrote out the Preamble to the Constitution. 

Thanks to "Schoolhouse Rock", I got that extra credit :D. I was playing out the song in my head as I wrote it out on the test, LOL. 

I remember junior year my AP history class asked about the preamble and the whole class sang it in chorus. When you're of a certain age, you can't not do it that way.

• Like 6
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I feel like I watched The Cosby Show because it was a thing that was on. I found it too preachy though. I did love A Different World. Agreed, way more fun. 

I recently watched We Need To Talk About Cosby the documentary about his predatory behavior. Someone in it said the same thing.  The Cosby Show was OK but A Different World meant more to the black community.  I never watched The Cosby Show in reruns. Never had the desire to.  It was like I watched it and then I ceased thinking about it.  But Different World I have rewatched and still think about.  It made an impression on me. And yes it was way more fun.

19 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Benson was far better than both. I loved the character back on Soap (far superior to, all of them really. Soap was a fantastic show) and it was fun to see him spun off into his own show. Guillame is better than Cosby in pretty much every way. 

Loved Soap.  I rewatch it every few years because it never stops being funny.  And Benson is a big reason why.  I hated him leaving Soap but Benson was a good show. It wasn't crazy like Soap but still funny enough it lasted seven seasons.  And Guillame won two Emmys for playing him. Once on Soap and once on Benson.

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I don't care who did it, it's unnecessary and, imo, disrespectful to the fans.  Same with bringing back David Tennant.  10's story was finished.  Leave it there.

10's story is finished, but the Doctor's isn't. DT is playing 14 now, not 10.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I agree, and have resisted watching this new episode because I really just do not want to see what RTD does with bringing back Ten and Donna.  RTD is the one responsible for bringing back Rose and hooking her up with the convenient Ten clone so she could get her HEA.  My Dr. Who unpopular opinion is I do not care for Rose Tyler nor did I ever ship her with Ten.  I prefer Martha over Rose ( I think this is because of the way I watched all the Nu Who episodes.  I started with Martha and then went back and watched the Rose era).

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

My Dr. Who unpopular opinion is I do not care for Rose Tyler nor did I ever ship her with Ten.

I actively despise Rose Tyler and won't watch any of her season. I saw them once, that was enough. I loved Martha and hated that she was stuck with Ten in his hung up on the blandest female idiot to ever exist on Earth. He had smart, talented, beautiful Martha right there and he was still all "Rose, Rose, Rose". UGH

I loved him and Donna simply because they were just friends. Two BFFs exploring time and space together. I don't mind at all that they were brought back. While Donna's ending was beautifully heartbreaking, it was heartbreaking and she deserved better. It always pissed me off that stupid Rose got her live action Dr Who doll to play with and Donna had to forget some of the best moments of her life. (Yeah, I might still be a little bitter. And I haven't seen the new ep yet, don't have access to it, but as long as it has Tennant and Tate interacting I'm perfectly fine with whatever happens.)

• Like 10
  • Applause 1

Donna is my favorite companion, and I have mixed emotions about the new episode. On the one hand, I was gutted and then bitter for ages because the original ending was that emotionally powerful. So leave it alone, it was, as @Mabinogia said, beautifully heartbreaking. On the other hand, Donna really deserved so much better than that and, yeah, her ending was especially infuriating when compared to Rose's. So yes, please fix that.

Still got a kick in the heart when they mentioned Wilf.

Edited by ABay
  • Like 4
7 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Loved Soap.  I rewatch it every few years because it never stops being funny.  And Benson is a big reason why.  I hated him leaving Soap but Benson was a good show. It wasn't crazy like Soap but still funny enough it lasted seven seasons.  And Guillame won two Emmys for playing him. Once on Soap and once on Benson.

So do I. It's one of my favorite rewatches. It never fails to make me laugh. I wish there was a way for Benson to have been on both shows. He was just so good and so funny on both shows. I love his treating Chester like crap. Or when Benson borrowed the police car and the officer's hat to go looking for Billy who ran away. He didn't find Billy but he did pick up a drunk. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

"Soap" is one of my mom's favorite shows - I remember seeing reruns of it when  I was a kid, and it's fun to get to watch the reruns as an adult, too. That show was absolutely bonkers in the best way, and I like how they were able to swing from moments that were absolutely hysterical to moments that were genuinely touching/serious/dramatic...and it worked either way. 

I like Benson's friendship with Jessica. They had a really sweet, fun bond together. 

• Like 8
4 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I actively despise Rose Tyler and won't watch any of her season. I saw them once, that was enough. I loved Martha and hated that she was stuck with Ten in his hung up on the blandest female idiot to ever exist on Earth. He had smart, talented, beautiful Martha right there and he was still all "Rose, Rose, Rose". UGH

Y'know, I never used to hate Rose Tyler. I actually quite liked her... for a while. But then there was the whole "she's the love of the Doctor's life", and the way she seemed to be framed as the greatest companion ever (uh... no?), and now, in the new special...

Spoiler

Donna's daughter is named Rose. Really, Russell T. Davies? REALLY?!?! You couldn't let your brand new character who, let me remind you all, is in no way, shape, or form connected to Rose Tyler, have her own identity by having a different name?! Must perfect Rose Tyler and her perfect shadow loom over all of Doctor Who lore for all eternity?!

So, yes, consider me a new, official member of the "Shut Up About Rose Tyler!" club.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Like 8
8 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Y'know, I never used to hate Rose Tyler. I actually quite liked her... for a while. But then there was the whole "she's the love of the Doctor's life", and the way she seemed to be framed as the greatest companion ever (uh... no?), and now, in the new special...

Hide contents

Donna's daughter is named Rose. Really, Russell T. Davies? REALLY?!?! You couldn't let your brand new character who, let me remind you all, is in no way, shape, or form connected to Rose Tyler, have her own identity by having a different name?! Must perfect Rose Tyler and her perfect shadow loom over all of Doctor Who lore for all eternity?!

So, yes, consider me a new, official member of the "Shut Up About Rose Tyler!" club.

I really liked Rose in season 1, but then in season 2 once they started the romance with 10, she seemed like a different character to me and I started to dislike her because of how she behaved around him. I still like her in season 1 which is my favorite from the entire show so far, but I just don't like any shipping between the Doctor and companions. I completely understand a companion having a crush, but the Doctor reciprocating those feelings when they are hundreds/thousands years older is just a no-go for me.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
9 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Reveal spoiler

RE your spoiler, I read a recap of the episode and knew not to bother watching it.  I hate when creators love one of their characters too much.  Nothing turns me off more than a creator who forces one of their creations where it does not belong.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2
19 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

10's story is finished, but the Doctor's isn't. DT is playing 14 now, not 10.

See, that bugs the living fuck out of me.  Tennant was and should only be 1 Doctor.  Move on, damn it.

16 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I actively despise Rose Tyler and won't watch any of her season.

I liked Rose at first, especially with Christopher Eccleston.  Did not like the romantic elements with 10 at all and there are very few of their episodes I rewatch, despite her more than because of her.

16 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I loved him and Donna simply because they were just friends.

That's how I like my Doctor-Companion interactions.  Friendship, not romance or mooning over him.  Which is why I vastly preferred Donna to Rose and Martha.

1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

RE your spoiler, I read a recap of the episode and knew not to bother watching it.  I hate when creators love one of their characters too much.  Nothing turns me off more than a creator who forces one of their creations where it does not belong.

I stopped watching after Peter Capaldi left because I can't stand Jodie Whittaker as an actress.  Might've started watching again except I don't have and don't want Disney+.  And what I've read about the new episodes does not inspire to change my mind.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

My unpopular opinion: I didn't like David Tennant as the Doctor. Christopher Eccleston was my first and is still my favorite Doctor. And by association Rose is one of my favorite companions.

17 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I liked Rose at first, especially with Christopher Eccleston.  Did not like the romantic elements with 10 at all and there are very few of their episodes I rewatch, despite her more than because of her.

I can see that point. I did like Rose more with Eccleston than with Tennant. I did warm up to Tennant later on. I always assumed that Tennant was just too different from Eccleston and my warming up to Tennant was because I started to get used to him. But maybe it's just the writing for the Rose/Ten combo that made me dislike him at first.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, paulvdb said:

My unpopular opinion: I didn't like David Tennant as the Doctor. Christopher Eccleston was my first and is still my favorite Doctor.

There are some Tennant episodes I like, but overall he's one of my least favorite Doctors. Of course, I'm old school Doctor Who so the whole Doctor/companion dynamic which started with Tennant's era really turned me off.

• Like 3