Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

(edited)
On 2/19/2024 at 8:51 AM, Gharlane said:

Babylon 5 is the best example of a show that was planned out from start to finish.

That can work, but sometimes you get How I Met Your Mother where the ending at least is planned from very early on and the writers sticking to it kind of ruined the show. 

And the reverse is Breaking Bad where at the start of the final season they did a flash forward without really knowing what it was going to mean.

1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

When I was a kid in the 60s, we used to go to the movies and walk in in the middle.  That's what people used to do (in earlier decades also).  You'd watch till the end and then you'd watch the next movie (as you'd get a double feature), and then you'd go back to start the first movie.  Then you'd recognize when you came in and leave.  It was fun figuring out what was happening when you missed the first part of the movie. 

That started to change with the release of Psycho in 1960. Hitchcock wanted the movie twists to really hit. So a bunch of the marketing was Hitchcock telling theatre owners/managers to not let people in during the middle of the movie. Because people would do exactly what you said.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Like 7
13 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

That started to change with the release of Psycho in 1960. Hitchcock wanted the movie twists to really hit. So a bunch of the marketing was Hitchcock telling theatre owners/managers to not let people in during the middle of the movie. Because people would do exactly what you said.

Yes, I was going to add that!  I'm guessing they didn't show Psycho first run in double features with other movies.  I was too young to see Psycho when it came out (I was five).  I first saw it on TV when I was in high school.

However, the other routine did continue for a few more years after Psycho came out.  We were still doing this in our neighborhood theaters after 1960. 

Things also started to change with the advent of blockbuster movies, where showings were sold out and people were waiting on line outside to get in for a particular showing, and then they had to clear the theater after the show ended for the next crowd. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 3

Yeah, Psycho led to a number of changes/innovations in movie screening and marketing.

As a side note, my grandparents once told me they would go see every movie that came out — until Psycho. They saw it and found it so disturbing (and, simultaneously boring) that they stopped going to movie theaters regularly. They didn’t want to be surprised that way again. My grandfather apparently said “Hitch left that one out in the rain too long.”

Have to admit, I don’t particularly like being shocked. But I do love hearing about/reading about how certain movies or shows changed the game.

I was a toddler during “who shot JR”, though I love hearing about the anticipation. One of my cousins was born the night the reveal episode aired and my aunt has told me all the nurses could talk about was the timing of cousin’s arrival so they could be sure to be near a TV.

• Like 5
  • LOL 6
23 minutes ago, AgathaC said:

was a toddler during “who shot JR”, though I love hearing about the anticipation. One of my cousins was born the night the reveal episode aired and my aunt has told me all the nurses could talk about was the timing of cousin’s arrival so they could be sure to be near a TV.

People are born all the time.

Besides a few radio stations out west, as there were still live DJ's might have spoiled the reveal. But the news got to it before those who had taped the episode got a chance to watch..

• Like 1
On 2/16/2024 at 7:59 AM, Raja said:

A problem today that large parts of the audience no longer watch things live is that the Google bots see your interest in a subject and the thumbnails  from news feeds start spoiling you.  I had watched the first episode of Mr and Mrs Smith and the next morning there was push after push of stories trying to lure me to their particular video, for them to get ad revenue, wanting to "explain the ending"

Use a VPN and a private browser without logging in to Google.

• Like 1

With Richard Lewis's passing, I think now's a good time to state my UO that Anything But Love was FAR better than Friends ever was and it's too bad that it's barely remembered. (Yeah, boo me!)

• Like 10
  • Applause 1

A couple more Big Bang Theory unpopular opinions:

I wish they'd written Penny to be great at waitressing. It would explain why she didn't pursue acting as strenuously as she should have since California servers make minimum wage before tips. Penny being a great waitress could have put her in a position where she was making decent money and that would be hard to give up. Things like her not getting her car properly fixed or sponging off the guys wouldn't negate that as her spending priorities would be other things.

The other is Sheldon constantly putting down MIT and engineering. For a man who constantly brought up various facts about an array of subjects he was willfully ignorant about how many engineers don't need PhDs like other scientists. His constant putting down Howard made him look foolish which was not his intention. Also MIT is a world class school and has a top notch physics program so calling it a trade school made him look even more foolish.

The best karma for Sheldon and Amy would be for their kids to not have any interest in science and instead end up with PhDs and Nobel Prizes in a "lesser" field like literature. Or to not end up with an advanced degree at all and be perfectly content. 

Finally I think the only reason Sheldon has so much self confidence is because the Coopers were his family. When we first met Beverly, Sheldon expresses a desire to have been raised the way Leonard was but he wouldn't have thrived at all. The Hofstadters would have emotionally abused him exactly the same way they abused Leonard and his siblings and they were all intellectuals. Sheldon benefits from being coddled and needs to feel he's the smartest in the room. That wouldn't have been the case if the Hofstadters were his family. 

• Useful 5
On 3/2/2024 at 4:58 PM, scarynikki12 said:

The best karma for Sheldon and Amy would be for their kids to not have any interest in science and instead end up with PhDs and Nobel Prizes in a "lesser" field like literature. Or to not end up with an advanced degree at all and be perfectly content. 

The best karma for Sheldon would be their kids ending up in what he would consider menial professions - basically anything outside of academia.

On 3/2/2024 at 4:58 PM, scarynikki12 said:

His constant putting down Howard made him look foolish which was not his intention. Also MIT is a world class school and has a top notch physics program so calling it a trade school made him look even more foolish.

Which is the point of having him do it.

• Like 4
On 3/2/2024 at 1:58 PM, scarynikki12 said:

The other is Sheldon constantly putting down MIT and engineering. For a man who constantly brought up various facts about an array of subjects he was willfully ignorant about how many engineers don't need PhDs like other scientists. His constant putting down Howard made him look foolish which was not his intention. Also MIT is a world class school and has a top notch physics program so calling it a trade school made him look even more foolish.

What's odd about him putting down MIT is that he works at Cal Tech which is literally the west coast version of MIT.  Massachusetts Institute of Technology vs. California Institute of Technology.

• Like 6
On 3/2/2024 at 2:58 PM, scarynikki12 said:

In Young Sheldon, one of the older Sheldon voice overs mentions taking his son to a skate park...

• Useful 1
(edited)

Gilmore Girls. I come to realize between Dean Forester and Jesse, I preferred Dean because Dean felt real and felt that Jesse was the male counterpart of the Manic Pixie Dream Girl; the Literary Romantic Bad Boy. Apparently there are some Literary Romantic Bad Boy who aren't pretentious douches, but I haven't met any. Have I met teens that get clingy and dramatic with their first real relationship? Yes, several times (I volunteer with kids). I was going into detail, but realized I shouldn't but I will say that I know young teen girls and boys, in their first relationships, got even more dramatic and clingy than Dean. This kids are lovely and fun, but boy was their behavior off-putting and some even dangerous against themselves. 

While I preferred Dean and Rory, in retrospect, the first go around of their relationship, was far more true to life, from meeting, dating, falling in love and someone else catching Rory's eye and moving on to that guy.  It was one of the most teenage things Rory did, and don't hold her picking Jesse over Dean against her. It happens all the time, especially with teenagers. 

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Like 4
On 3/5/2024 at 7:03 PM, meep.meep said:

What's odd about him putting down MIT is that he works at Cal Tech which is literally the west coast version of MIT.  Massachusetts Institute of Technology vs. California Institute of Technology.

That explains it. They are rivals, like football teams. 

• Like 6

We're watching Mr. and Mrs. Smith on Prime right now and I hate it.  There is nothing about it that I find interesting or funny or even cute.  I don't see any chemistry between the leads (and I really like Donald Glover) and don't buy them as a couple in a real marriage. I'm only continuing to watch it because my husband likes it a little more than I do and wants to see how it ends.  Maybe I'll like the last three episodes more, but overall, meh. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

This one seems to be an unpopular with fight coordinators. When you hit an enemy with an object and stagger them, you keep hitting them with the object, don't just throw it away and go back to fists. You keep hitting them until you're sure you've won! I remember it from The Raid: Redemption too.

See also: every foreign object in pro wrestling. If you hit them once and it gets a two count, hit them 19 times and keep them down for even the slowest referee to deliver the three-count. Do it safely, I don't want any legit injuries. But that's how to do it.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
12 hours ago, Anduin said:

This one seems to be an unpopular with fight coordinators. When you hit an enemy with an object and stagger them, you keep hitting them with the object, don't just throw it away and go back to fists. You keep hitting them until you're sure you've won! I remember it from The Raid: Redemption too.

See also: every foreign object in pro wrestling. If you hit them once and it gets a two count, hit them 19 times and keep them down for even the slowest referee to deliver the three-count. Do it safely, I don't want any legit injuries. But that's how to do it.

I would disagree there. Fighting in all forms of sports and entertainment have gotten more real and now street fights are not ending with knocking someone down or out to serve your honor but just last week was another girl bashing other girl's heads into the ground just like the MMA fighters do. Only on the street there are not giant referees to tackle you before someone is killed.

• Sad 4
12 minutes ago, Raja said:

I would disagree there. Fighting in all forms of sports and entertainment have gotten more real and now street fights are not ending with knocking someone down or out to serve your honor but just last week was another girl bashing other girl's heads into the ground just like the MMA fighters do. Only on the street there are not giant referees to tackle you before someone is killed.

That happened in real life? Anyway, yes. Fights have gotten better with time. I was thinking of something old I'd just watched.

(edited)
12 minutes ago, Anduin said:

That happened in real life?

A few years ago a girl pulled a knee to the head to kill another one. Last week in Missouri in one of those teen fights a big girl put a smaller one down and then proceeded with the pound part of "ground and pound" from MMA. The victim is hanging on at the last report that I heard.

Edited by Raja
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 7
47 minutes ago, Raja said:

A few years ago a girl pulled a knee to the head to kill another one. Last week in Missouri in one of those teen fights a big girl put a smaller one down and then proceeded with the pound part of "ground and pound" from MMA. The victim is hanging on at the last report that I heard.

Shit. That's horrible. I don't want that stuff in real life, I'm purely talking fiction with my original complaint.

• Like 6
(edited)
On 3/27/2024 at 5:15 AM, Anduin said:

Yes, but that risks the guy you're pounding getting infused with the Power of Wrestlemania ™ and going into a berserker rage on you. 😉

On 3/27/2024 at 5:55 PM, Raja said:

I would disagree there. Fighting in all forms of sports and entertainment have gotten more real

I disagree. Fighting on TV has devolved from bare fisted knuckle to Matrix-style flips and spins and kicks. 

Edited by Gharlane
  • Like 2
35 minutes ago, Gharlane said:

Yes, but that risks the guy you're pounding getting infused with the Power of Wrestlemania ™ and going into a berserker rage on you. 😉

I disagree. Fighting on TV has devolved from bare fisted knuckle to Matrix-style flips and spins and kicks. 

You're saying that on-screen fights shouldn't be more plausible, because people might copy that behaviour in real life? Sure, there's always a chance of someone losing the plot. But whose fault is that? Theirs or TV and movies?

• Like 3
On 4/5/2024 at 9:40 AM, JimmyJabloon said:

Shogun- I do not like the actor who plays blackthorne. I don't even know why. The way he speaks especially.

I don't think that's an unpopular opinion.  He lacks the charisma the character should have and is the weak link among so many more gifted actors.

• Like 1
On 4/5/2024 at 9:40 AM, JimmyJabloon said:

Shogun- I do not like the actor who plays blackthorne. I don't even know why. The way he speaks especially.

That's because he isn't Richard Chamberlain.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 2

Did anyone else see the Eclipse coverage and laugh at all these talking heads and regular folks who were so SURE that a veritable 'Age of Aquarius' was going to dawn due to all the witnesses getting enthralled at seeing the celestial event?

I mean, there have been  dozens of eclipses from prehistory and, at most, people were taken aback for a little while but then reverted right BACK to their old ruts!

Oh, well, it was very dusky and overcast where I was so I didn't see anything but at least I will always have the cool, crystal clear  2017 Totality I got to share with Mama in our front yard- along with the confused crickets and fireflies.

• Like 2

I just couldn't understand all the hoopla. Was 2017 at night? I seem to recall that we sat on the deck, staring up at the moon one night. I don't remember a lot of buzz over that. This past Monday afternoon was nice as we met new neighbors and had a chance to catch up with others. I know some folks who drove up to Niagara Falls for this. But I liked seeing the photos on TV (something I couldn't do with my phone camera). 

• Like 5
(edited)
On 4/11/2024 at 11:35 PM, annzeepark914 said:

I just couldn't understand all the hoopla. Was 2017 at night? I seem to recall that we sat on the deck, staring up at the moon one night. I don't remember a lot of buzz over that. This past Monday afternoon was nice as we met new neighbors and had a chance to catch up with others. I know some folks who drove up to Niagara Falls for this. But I liked seeing the photos on TV (something I couldn't do with my phone camera). 

2017 was over a much less densely populated part of the US.  This past eclipse was over a bigger swath of the US and over many more cities, so tens of millions more people got to experience totality.

As far as all the new agey references as to how this brought us all together as a nation, never to be torn apart; that is pretty typical of us human beings.  We experience something amazing with a bunch of other people and think we'll be forever changed, only to forget all about it shortly afterwards.  On a smaller scale, ever attended a big wedding and got together with a bunch of old college pals or far flung family; had a really great time and then vowed you would all be getting together regularly from here on out?  How'd that work out?  Same thing, smaller scale.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 9

Yeah the 2017 eclipse was a thing then and wasn't at night, at least where I am. I was only in 70-something totality, and my crochety scrooge of a boss at the time still let us all gallop outside with our eclipse glasses to watch and he joined us and didn't even nag about us not working. It's one of my most pleasant memories of him honestly. LOL

Earlier this week, I was reading anecdotes from people at the time who said the traffic coming out of St. Louis, which had totality, slowed to 10-15 mph on the interstate afterward because so many people came to see it. In another online community I'm in, which isn't astronomy focused at all, a lot of people said they'd traveled to Wyoming for it. 

• Useful 3
3 hours ago, Zella said:

Yeah the 2017 eclipse was a thing then and wasn't at night, at least where I am. I was only in 70-something totality, and my crochety scrooge of a boss at the time still let us all gallop outside with our eclipse glasses to watch and he joined us and didn't even nag about us not working. It's one of my most pleasant memories of him honestly. LOL

Earlier this week, I was reading anecdotes from people at the time who said the traffic coming out of St. Louis, which had totality, slowed to 10-15 mph on the interstate afterward because so many people came to see it. In another online community I'm in, which isn't astronomy focused at all, a lot of people said they'd traveled to Wyoming for it. 

My bro in law and several of his friends travelled out west in 2017 to watch from Grand Tetons.  His photos look a lot like what we had in Ohio this week except for the mountains.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

I thought I was the only one who didn’t get the eclipse hype. It seems silly to me to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars and drive hours/miles to see something for a few minutes and for our local news to have “eclipse coverage” and think they’re being so cool and original by taking selfies in their eclipse glasses. If I were in one of those cities or towns that got overrun with tourists I’d just want them to leave as soon as possible or not show up in the first place, but I’m not a big fan of people these days anyway. 

It was really cloudy where I lived so I looked out the window when I was on a break from work and thought nothing here to see…then I went back to my desk. 

And I know the “let’s get together soon!” point all too well. Pretty sure I’ve been waiting to “get together” with my friends for over a year now and I don’t have the energy to reach out anymore and make empty promises. 

• Like 6
(edited)
13 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

think they’re being so cool and original by taking selfies in their eclipse glasses.

I don't believe they thought they were being cool or original.  They were just capturing a moment for a memory, like millions of people do everyday for things which are much less "once or twice in a lifetime" in nature.  Honestly I wish I had been able to travel to someplace where there was a total eclipse, but it was still cool to look out my window at work and see a crescent sun peeking through the clouds and see the darkish area on an otherwise sunny day.

As for the media hype, well it was some good news when most of what we're getting right now is bad.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Like 11
  • Love 5

While I'm prepared to believe there's a thousand episodes of NCIS shows now, I have watched none of them. I couldn't tell you the content of a single episode.

I'm not slamming the fans or anything like that, it's just odd to realise that for something apparently popular enough to go this long, I know nothing about it.

• Like 11
12 hours ago, Anduin said:

While I'm prepared to believe there's a thousand episodes of NCIS shows now, I have watched none of them. I couldn't tell you the content of a single episode.

I'm not slamming the fans or anything like that, it's just odd to realise that for something apparently popular enough to go this long, I know nothing about it.

I rarely watch anything on CBS.  Out of all of the American networks, I feel they are the ones who rely upon focus groups the most.  There's rarely any risk or experimentation in their lineup.  They end up airing the blandest content that appeals to the most people.  I'm not surprised to find out they have a show that has aired 1,000 episodes.  

• Like 7
13 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I'm not surprised to find out they have a show that has aired 1,000 episodes.  

Technically speaking a NCIS franchise. Just tag in new actors on occasion and it runs like a soap opera.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Out of all of the American networks, I feel they are the ones who rely upon focus groups the most.

If I'm not mistaken they also have the oldest demographic with regards to viewers. I do like their Thursday night lineup but that is about it.  And you are right about their lack of experimentation @Ohiopirate02 because three of the shows on Thursday came from previous shows.  Young Sheldon came from BBT (a CBS hit).  Elsbeth came from the Good Wife and the Good Fight (both former CBS shows). And Ghosts came from the British show Ghosts. And now they are spinning off a show from YS that will focus on Georgie and his wife and kid.  Once again showing they are content to stick with something they think is a safe bet.  Well joke might be on them because I don't see that show being a hit. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
(edited)

CBS does really play it safe, but once upon a time amidst all the NCIS knockoffs, they also had The Good Wife and Person of Interest. I always wondered if they weren't paying attention to what was happening with those shows because they--particularly the later seasons--seemed to have wandered in from a different plane entirely and were quite unusual for network TV. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 1

I loved the Good Wife. And loved the Good Fight even more. Technically GF was a Paramount Plus show but still in the CBS family.  CBS sticks with what works for them and I'm assuming they must make a lot of money or they would change things up.  

Back in the 70s CBS had the groundbreaking shows like All in the Family and Maude and the Jeffersons.  Hard to believe this is the same network.

• Like 5
  • Applause 4
59 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Elsbeth came from the Good Wife and the Good Fight (both former CBS shows).

Is that where that nightmare came from???  I cannot stand that woman.  Her face, her voice, the apparent preciousness of her character, they all make me wanna do damage to myself when the commercials pop up.

5 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Back in the 70s CBS had the groundbreaking shows like All in the Family and Maude and the Jeffersons.  Hard to believe this is the same network.

Times change.  The 70s was a long time ago.

1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:

And Ghosts came from the British show Ghosts.

Lots of US shows came from British shows in previous decades.  Including All in the Family.  And both Maude and the Jeffersons were spin-offs.  Not that they were bland.

Okay, so that brings up a possibly very unpopular opinion: I hate All in the Family.  The only good things which came from it were The Jeffersons and a private joke between my BFF and me about Edith's nasally pronunciation of Scranton.

• Like 3
48 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

I loved the Good Wife.

I watch a lot of cable prestige drama, and I still maintain that season 5 of The Good Wife is one of the best seasons of television ever made. 

38 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Okay, so that brings up a possibly very unpopular opinion: I hate All in the Family.  The only good things which came from it were The Jeffersons and a private joke between my BFF and me about Edith's nasally pronunciation of Scranton.

I do too. I'd heard for years how groundbreaking it was, but when I finally tried to watch it, I found Archie absolutely insufferable. Every episode to me was like enduring some unpleasant family Thanksgiving dinner from hell, and I usually like crazy family sitcoms. I also know way too many people who genuinely love the show because they think Archie just tells it like it is to find it successful as satire. 

• Like 6

I will rewatch just about any show I have previously watched. But I will not do AITF.  I was young when it was on and mostly saw it in syndication in the 80s but other than a couple well done episodes I don't like it.  

3 minutes ago, Zella said:

I also know way too many people who genuinely love the show because they think Archie just tells it like it is to find it successful as satire. 

And this.  Archie was meant to be someone we looked at and thought yikes but now some people look at him and think he is a hero.

• Like 6
(edited)
11 minutes ago, Zella said:

I watch a lot of cable prestige drama, and I still maintain that season 5 of The Good Wife is one of the best seasons of television ever made. 

I do too. I'd heard for years how groundbreaking it was, but when I finally tried to watch it, I found Archie absolutely insufferable. Every episode to me was like enduring some unpleasant family Thanksgiving dinner from hell, and I usually like crazy family sitcoms. I also know way too many people who genuinely love the show because they think Archie just tells it like it is to find it successful as satire. 

I really liked The Good Wife, too., especially the seasons before Archie left.  It was sharp and funny and the characters were well-rounded people who were basically likeable but had their flaws. The writing was witty and incisive.  I also love Christine Baranski in just about anything.

I was in high school when AITF debuted and I rarely watched although my parents did.  And I loved a lot of CBS comedies of that era like MASH, Mary Tyler Moore and The Bob Newhart show.  AITF just seemed so mean spirited and nasty.  Same reason I never got into Roseanne.  I get it, families have their differences, sometimes they argue; but I don't need to see nastiness all the time everywhere and I don't find it funny.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 5

Re: All in the Family and Roseanne

I don't expect all TV shows to be all sunshine and pleasantness (I'm currently enjoying the heck out of Fallout), but I find TV shows and movies that just consist of people screaming at each other and seemingly nothing else to be utterly exhausting. 

• Like 8
21 minutes ago, Notabug said:

I really liked The Good Wife, too., especially the seasons before Archie left.  It was sharp and funny and the characters were well-rounded people who were basically likeable but had their flaws. The writing was witty and incisive.  I also love Christine Baranski in just about anything.

Yes and it had some interesting, thought-provoking material about a range of social and legal issues. I never did finish the 7th season.

Spoiler

I never got over Will, though the aftermath of his death is one of the best depictions of grief I've ever watched. 

I want to be Diane when I grow up! She was one of my favorites. 

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, Zella said:

Yes and it had some interesting, thought-provoking material about a range of social and legal issues. I never did finish the 7th season.

Hide contents

I never got over Will, though the aftermath of his death is one of the best depictions of grief I've ever watched. 

I want to be Diane when I grow up! She was one of my favorites. 

Me too!  Wouldn't mind having her wardrobe and jewelry too.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Person of Interest was prescient, I love it, and am still bitter over its cancellation. I only wish someone other than Caviezel played Reese.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
8 hours ago, Notabug said:

I was in high school when AITF debuted and I rarely watched although my parents did.  And I loved a lot of CBS comedies of that era like MASH, Mary Tyler Moore and The Bob Newhart show.  AITF just seemed so mean spirited and nasty.  Same reason I never got into Roseanne.  I get it, families have their differences, sometimes they argue; but I don't need to see nastiness all the time everywhere and I don't find it funny.

Archie Bunker was all bluster but he truly loved his family. Mike really wasn't all that liberal I loved Gloria and Edith. My family was more like Roseanne than the Cosby Show. I don't think Roseanne was nasty she and Dan fought but they loved each other. The Connors were a blue collar couple when you didn't see them on television.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

I never watched The Good Wife but loved The Good Fight.  Such great strong female characters.  Elsbeth is ok, something I'll watch when there's nothing else on, but she doesn't evoke the same feeling of admiration.  (Now, if she would reveal that the ditzy character is just a front to make people underestimate her, that would be different.)  I already have one kooky Columbo-esque woman detective in Poker Face (when is that coming back, anyway?) and I think Charlie is more interesting than Elsbeth.

13 hours ago, ABay said:

Person of Interest was prescient, I love it, and am still bitter over its cancellation. I only wish someone other than Caviezel played Reese.

Yeah.  This.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, ABay said:

Huh. Now this is unpopular: I LOVED Caviezel as Reese. He was the Batman without the cape and cowl for me in this. I just LALALALALLALALALALAA'D and ignored his real life stuff so I could enjoy the show. The chemistry between him and Michael Emerson was just wonderful.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
15 hours ago, kathyk2 said:

Archie Bunker was all bluster but he truly loved his family. Mike really wasn't all that liberal I loved Gloria and Edith. My family was more like Roseanne than the Cosby Show. I don't think Roseanne was nasty she and Dan fought but they loved each other. The Connors were a blue collar couple when you didn't see them on television.

I never watched that show, so this is not a comment about that, but I am always puzzled when people say that someone cares about their family, or children especially, as if that is some positive trait. Isn't that like a bare minimum that a parent/spouse should do? I don't give people points for that. One doesn't get to choose their parents or siblings, but does (in a normal society) choose their partner and chooses to have children that they are supposed to love and take care of no matter what. 

The showrunners of GoT were always talking about Cersei like "Well, you know, she is a murdering psychopath who hates and hurts everyone, but at least she deeply loves her children, so that is her redeeming quality ..." No, it isn't. She was partially responsible for one of her children being a complete monster and some of her worst actions were justified by some viewers as "protecting her children". No, thanks. That doesn't redeem her at all in my eyes.

• Like 10