Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

(edited)
14 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Yeah I haven't missed the Chummy character at all.  Her policeman husband showing up occasionally and making references to her is enough for me.

I like Chummy, but her absence from this season hasn't caused me to enjoy the show any less.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 5
(edited)

Seth Cohen from the OC. It always amazed me how the fandom hated Marissa who was full of drama for losing her family, her mom sleeping with her exboyfriend, her current boyfriend getting his ex pregnant maybe, and really obviously having depression. But they loved Seth who was whiny and ran away from home because his friend had to move about an hour away, constantly bitched about being unlucky in love when he had 3 love interests in the span of year, lied to Summer and jerked her around, and had to suffer through the unbearable misery of being a rich kid with loving parents living in freaking beautiful California. Of course he had his own real issues, but he was every bit as whiny as Marissa. I get that Adam Brody is a more charismatic actor than Mischa Barton could ever dream of being, but Seth was the definition of first world problems.

Edited by Janet Snakehole
  • Love 3
(edited)

I liked Mischa Barton's Marissa on The OC, and could never stand Ryan or that actor.  The only odd thing when the show first started, I thought she was related to Caleb because of their accents. 

From what I've read I'm pretty sure that it's an unpopular opinion, I can't stand James Corden.  I watched A League of Their Own  for years, and disliked him more and more,  although he wasn't that bad on other panel shows.   I couldn't believe when he replaced Ferguson on the Late Late Show.

Edited by atomationage
  • Love 1
(edited)

Unpopular Buffy Opinion: I liked the Dark Willow storyline.  I think it was probably the last great Buffy storyline before the show crapped out.  Then again like I like to say.  I love a good downward spiral.  And Willow had and awesome one.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 4

I like Mary Morstan from Sherlock. Sadly I also think her days are probably numbered but I think she's an interesting character we've only scratched the surface with and I look forward to seeing her arc play out. I don't think her shooting Sherlock makes her horrible. He understood it wasn't about him and she just did what she thought was best in the situation. And she was willing to come clean to John about who she really is.

Also, I've seen it before in other shows where the main relationship is some kind of friendship between the leads then one of them gets a love interest and it really does change the dynamic of said leads. But I don't think that's the case here, I've found Mary to be very accommodating to John's friendship with Sherlock and I think it's ridiculous to blame her for getting in the way of "Johnlock." John always sought a life outside of Sherlock (hence all the love interests early on) but that never meant he cared for Sherlock any less, he still put Sherlock first. And John was lied to for two years about Sherlock's death when he met Mary, he's allowed to have found someone long term (and that still didn't mean he stopped wanting Sherlock to stop being dead).

Morgana was my favorite character in Merlin. I think that show had a real problem writing women, they were either so purely too good to be true - Gwen (who one of the cast even admitted they made her cheating with Lancelot an enchantment so she wouldn't look bad) - or so cartoonishly one note evil - Morgana - that they were beyond redemption. But had Morgana been allowed to actually have a POV (which doesn't even have to equate to rooting for her), I think she was just trying to stick up for herself and magic kind but being a villain, she went about it wrong.

She lived her entire life in fear of her dreams, she was lied to her entire life that they were really visions of the future, and she was "dealt with" by being drugged and neglected in hopes that her magical outbursts would either go away or be contained. Her relationships with the other characters were being featured less and less that I don't think it's so far-fetched she'd come to feel she had no support system. And growing up understanding that all magic is bad, only to find that she was magic herself... I could see why she'd want to fight back.

• Love 2
(edited)
9 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Unpopular Buffy Opinion: I liked the Dark Willow storyline.  I think it was probably the last great Buffy storyline before the show crapped out.  Then again like I like to say.  I love a good downward spiral.  And Willow had and awesome one.  

In theory it could have been a really interesting storyline and I thought the beginnings of it had some potential. Willow had become extremely powerful and was starting to cross lines for, albeit, altruistic reasons. Then they got into magic being some sort of chemical, physical addiction with dealers and shit  and Whendon really got into killing characters we cared about to just get a reaction out of the audience vs driving a good story and it lost me. 

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Love 3

Riley from Buffy.

Although, I'm not sure if he was hated so much as people thought he was boring. Which is always ironic considering Angel himself didn't become an interesting character for me until he was on his own show. I could only take so much of his brooding and tortured relationship with Buffy. What a party animal that Angel was. 

On a shallow note, Marc Blucas was really adorable. And Riley was, you know, age appropriate. Yeah, yeah, show about vampires, suspend disbelief, blah blah, but Angel was a good 220 years older than Buffy.

Anyway, I felt sorry for his character as it was obvious he was wayyyy more into Buffy than she was into him. And fandom always regarding him as a boring block of wood. 

I was glad he got some happy closure. 

• Love 5

I liked Riley for a while. Probably around Where the Wild Things Are is where I start to turn on him and by season five I'm convinced we're supposed to think he's an awful match for Buffy and too immature to deal with the challenges she's currently facing. And because my heart is always on team Buffy, I am so totally over him by the point he's trying to make Joyce's illness about him. But I think Riley is a good person and I'm glad when he comes back we see him happy and in a good relationship. The show often set us up to forget that Buffy was only 19-20 when she's dating Riley and while I assume he's older he's probably right around 25. That's still pretty young.

(And I love season 4. Not my favourite because I think the Initiative Arc is poorly paced but the stand alones are some of the best in the series!)

• Love 1

I've been re-watching the Walking Dead which reminded me that I really liked Andrea though she irritated me throughout the Woodberry storyline. And the over the top hatred that the actress got for her character shooting Gary Stu Daryl was freaking ridiculous.

I also like Beth and only found Lori to be mildly irritating except for when she told Andrea that it was the men's job to protect them and that she should worry more about laundry. At that point, I was hoping that Andrea would shoot her.

And then there's Carol: I like the fact that there's an older woman character that has somewhat of a non traditional role for her age group but I honestly just don't like her and I don't think the actress is the best on the show. Quite frankly, I've found the majority of her costars to be quite capable.

And the major  uo: I'm not outraged by the cliffhanger. Yeah I would've liked to have known who died in the finale but I don't think it took away from it.

The Flash: I didn't hate it's finale either. Barry changing the timeline was stupid and he deserves every blame for whatever  shit storm his action causes. However I'm looking forward to seeing how everything plays out.

• Love 3

I think the whole final scene was just a dumb way to do the whole thing (on TWD). I'm not outraged enough to care and probably won't think much of it until the show is back. 

But it's not unexpected. None of the "bad guys" on the show are really compelling. They're slightly higher functional than Storm Troopers. 

On June 1, 2016 at 9:44 AM, allyw said:

I've been re-watching the Walking Dead which reminded me that I really liked Andrea though she irritated me throughout the Woodberry storyline. And the over the top hatred that the actress got for her character shooting Gary Stu Daryl was freaking ridiculous.

I also like Beth and only found Lori to be mildly irritating except for when she told Andrea that it was the men's job to protect them and that she should worry more about laundry. At that point, I was hoping that Andrea would shoot her.

And then there's Carol: I like the fact that there's an older woman character that has somewhat of a non traditional role for her age group but I honestly just don't like her and I don't think the actress is the best on the show. Quite frankly, I've found the majority of her costars to be quite capable.

And the major  uo: I'm not outraged by the cliffhanger. Yeah I would've liked to have known who died in the finale but I don't think it took away from it.

The Flash: I didn't hate it's finale either. Barry changing the timeline was stupid and he deserves every blame for whatever  shit storm his action causes. However I'm looking forward to seeing how everything plays out.

Wow, I feel exactly the same way as you do about the Walking Dead characters. I have been afraid to say I just don't like Carol because she is so popular. Like you, I like the idea of an older woman being so bad ass but I just don't like Carol. 

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

Wow, I feel exactly the same way as you do about the Walking Dead characters. I have been afraid to say I just don't like Carol because she is so popular. Like you, I like the idea of an older woman being so bad ass but I just don't like Carol. 

I was going to chime in earlier with my dislike of Carol but felt that I have expressed that so much on many threads where TWD is mentioned that I may get a reputation. Yet, I can't resist but to reiterate it again.

• Love 4
On 4/28/2016 at 6:43 PM, callie lee 29 said:

Yeah, I don't get that either.  I actually didn't even know it was a thing until after I saw the movie (finally. it  was a few years after it came out) and I started noticing all these "Tom Hiddleston is everything" posts.

But hey everybody's got a type. I've always had a weird thing for Steven Tyler.

My friend looked at me like I was from outer space when I told her about my secret crush on Ice-T.

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, mansonlamps said:

My friend looked at me like I was from outer space when I told her about my secret crush on Ice-T.

Ha! Was that after his show with Coco? Because the sweetness he showed towards his wife made me notice him in positive ways whereas I never had before.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, lordonia said:

Ha! Was that after his show with Coco? Because the sweetness he showed towards his wife made me notice him in positive ways whereas I never had before.

Actually it was before.  When he was on L&O:SVU. I'm so ashamed.??

• Love 3

I held the UO that I found The Walking Dead unwatchable, but I gave it another chance and now I'm hooked.  I haven't gone on any of the threads because I don't want to know anything that's about to happen (on season 5 now!), so I don't know the popularity among viewers, but does the show really expect me to like Rick and think he's a good guy?  I had a blinding hatred for Shane, but I think Rick is only marginally better (which IMO is not saying much).

• Love 1
On 4 June 2016 at 1:04 AM, mansonlamps said:

Ha, I don't share your crush but I was blown away one of the first time I heard him talk on Law and Order - SUV, I so loved the rythm of his speech, his phrasing was so harmonious, like he was talk/singing. Then I was told of his musical background and it all made sense :) I have continued loving the way he talks since, and maybe at some stage I should check what his music is like.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

People on the Night Shift thread keep going on about how great looking Scott Wolf is, how he's drunk from the fountain of youth, etc., etc. My UO is that he's pretty seedy looking.

I always confuse Scott Wolf and Matthew Fox (going back to my Party of Five days)...okay, I just checked. I think Scott looks okay--he still looks like the secret love child of Tom Cruise and Hugh Grant. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, topanga said:

I always confuse Scott Wolf and Matthew Fox (going back to my Party of Five days)...okay, I just checked. I think Scott looks okay--he still looks like the secret love child of Tom Cruise and Hugh Grant. 

Google photos look OK. On TV (or at least on this particular show), he just looks seedy...

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, Betelnut said:

I don't find Ab Fab funny.

It had it's moments, but I mostly waited for Saffron to knock out either Edina or Patsy...or both. They were horrible to her, and it made me uncomfortable, the way the show played it up for laughs 

• Love 5

All this fracas around the Outlander on twitter is why I think it's better off to just watch the show. It's ridiculous that there's actual conversation about what William Shatner thinks. 

• Love 2
On 6/5/2016 at 7:14 PM, dargosmydaddy said:

People on the Night Shift thread keep going on about how great looking Scott Wolf is, how he's drunk from the fountain of youth, etc., etc. My UO is that he's pretty seedy looking.

First off, kudos on using "has drunk" and not "has drank." In the "V" TV series in 2009, Scott Wolf looked like an aging lesbian. 

• Love 1

All this fracas around the Outlander on twitter is why I think it's better off to just watch the show. It's ridiculous that there's actual conversation about what William Shatner thinks. 

It's weird how Shatner has inserted himself into some of these online fandoms.  Is he really that big of a fanboy or does he crave attention that much?

• Love 3

Watching old L&O (original series) on WE tv (other option is cleaning my mess of a house, so .......).  I used to love Moriarty, but I'm finding his character so stiff, so virtuous.  They just had an episode on where the accused (Cynthia Nixon) shot one (or two - wasn't paying 100% attention) guys who were harassing her on the subway.  Moriarty's character basically said well if she was afraid, she should have taken the subway - in court.   Either it's the writing or his interpretation, but not liking him like I once did.  I'd take Waterston any day.  The cops were also acting like real jerks, so maybe it was the writing.  No Jerry Orbach, so not liking it as much for that alone.

I also saw an old CSI (season 1, original in Las Vegas) yesterday.  I remember it vaguely from when it first aired, but was disappointed when I saw it again.  It was about a serial murderer (played by Michael Cerveris).  They spent more time on how Grissom and his boss were arguing, Grissom was suspended from the case because he didn't want to play nice with the FBI, rather than on the real suspect/murderer.  There was one throw away scene early, then the confrontation scene at the end.  They could have gotten into more of a cat and mouse or why the guy did it - he seemed more interesting than your typical murderer on these shows.  They got too much into Grissom and the other techs personal lives; it's ok for some tidbits but to spend the majority of the episode on that stuff just seemed such a waste.  Now I liked Grissom originally, but I found him getting a bit tedious - he waited for the other CSI's to say oh I see abc - then he'd nod and add his two cents, like he was some wise sage.   I don't think that series got into the hero phase like CSI Miami did with Horatio, but enough of that trend.

I love American Ninja Warrior but all the human interest stories are starting to get to me.  Don't get me wrong, it's great that these folks one are competing for their daughters or their grandfathers or their rescue dogs.  And they do seem like really great people who deserve the attention.  It's just...after the umpteenth time...it all kind of blends together.  It's not the athletes' fault but memo to the producers, when everything tugs at the heartstrings, nothing does.  I like an interesting back story as much as the next person, but I'm more interested in seeing amazing athletes do amazing things.  

• Love 6
17 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

I love American Ninja Warrior but all the human interest stories are starting to get to me.  Don't get me wrong, it's great that these folks one are competing for their daughters or their grandfathers or their rescue dogs.  And they do seem like really great people who deserve the attention.  It's just...after the umpteenth time...it all kind of blends together.  It's not the athletes' fault but memo to the producers, when everything tugs at the heartstrings, nothing does.  I like an interesting back story as much as the next person, but I'm more interested in seeing amazing athletes do amazing things.  

Agreed.  I've stopped watching every minute, I tune in from time to time, because I've gotten sick and tired of the sob stories.  When the guy with one leg came on last night, I just changed the channel because I just couldn't take it.  

I actually do fault the athletes to a certain extent, because without them giving the producers so much detail in these backstories, the producers couldn't air these details.  

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Agreed.  I've stopped watching every minute, I tune in from time to time, because I've gotten sick and tired of the sob stories.  When the guy with one leg came on last night, I just changed the channel because I just couldn't take it.  

I actually do fault the athletes to a certain extent, because without them giving the producers so much detail in these backstories, the producers couldn't air these details.  

But that's how a lot of them get chosen and avoid what is a five day line to get on the show. You send a tape labeled "Why you should pick me over the thousand other people sending tapes."

• Love 1

Sob stories bore the hell out of me too whether they are ninja warriors or American Idols or masterchefs cooking for dead grandma. I'm bored by background details of total strangers like in Say Yes to the Dress. I just want to look at the dresses, I don't care who your fiance is. 'My fiance's name is Steve, we met at college, he's the most amazing guy ...' Who cares??

• Love 14

Unless there is another way to get on the show then these sob stories do generate ratings.  Hell the one legged man did incredible by the way.  So unless NBC comes up with another way to find contestants or they just make it the "pros" and walkins then there are going to be a lot of the public interest stuff.  Plus they are not all sob stories.  I liked the one with the guy who was going to be a priest then changed his mind.   Plus Grath and her mom was cool.

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Unless there is another way to get on the show then these sob stories do generate ratings.  Hell the one legged man did incredible by the way.  So unless NBC comes up with another way to find contestants or they just make it the "pros" and walkins then there are going to be a lot of the public interest stuff.  Plus they are not all sob stories.  I liked the one with the guy who was going to be a priest then changed his mind.   Plus Grath and her mom was cool.

I thought the story about the guy who wanted to be a priest was a cool story.  I don't hate all the packages and you can definitely show interesting ones that aren't emotionally manipulative or, quite frankly, ghoulish on the part of the producers.  The problem for me is that more than a few of them in a given episode are.  I think it does the show a disservice to gloss over the footage of some of the contestants, particularly the ones that finish the course, in favor of showing the more emotional packages.

SNL did a pretty funny parody this year about a guy which such a tragic backstory they kept giving him chance after chance on the course which meant epic fail after epic fail and a skewering of the human interest motif.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 4

Orange Is The New Black is overrated (Wentworth is better).  House of Cards even with all the rave reviews is underrated.  I am so not exited about the new season of OITNB.  I think I am done with the show.  

• Love 2

I don't want to get into politics or anything but I actually hate what the show has done with Piper.  I loved her the first season and most of the second season.  Its one of the reasons I love Wentworth better.  The downward spiral and rise of Bea Smith in tandem with each other.  OITNB is just taking great pleasure in making Piper look like some white privileged stooge and that kind of offends me.  

• Love 2

Is that the gist of the current season? I haven't watched yet. Prior to this current season, she has been kind of like that though from what I watched. 

Maybe not UO: "Why do I have to be the stone cold lesbian?" [derisive] "It's for the kids, Chapman."

Just cracks me up all the time because we used to say "for the kids" in high school and I always think of that. 

14 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I don't want to get into politics or anything but I actually hate what the show has done with Piper.  I loved her the first season and most of the second season.  Its one of the reasons I love Wentworth better.  The downward spiral and rise of Bea Smith in tandem with each other.  OITNB is just taking great pleasure in making Piper look like some white privileged stooge and that kind of offends me.  

I think the show is mistaken as to the real problem with Piper. They think she's not a successful character because her storylines are dull, so they've turned her into an exaggerated parody instead.The real problem is Taylor Schilling just isn't a very good actress, and even with the best material she would still be a bland presence. Every other actor and actress on the show has done more with less, even if it's just bringing some charisma to the screen.

• Love 6
56 minutes ago, ChromaKelly said:

I don't care one way or the other why Sansa didn't tell Jon about Littlefinger and the Vale army.

Me neither.  I'm just glad they actually showed up in time.  You never know with Littlefinger.

I don't care one way or the other why Sansa didn't tell Jon about Littlefinger and the Vale army.

Me either. I just assumed she was not entirely sure they would show up. Though I could have missed something.

My Game of Thrones UO is that I am not a fan of Arya. I liked her in the books and I like Maisie Williams as well, so I am not sure why I am not wild about her in the television series. 

Another Game of Thrones UO is that Sansa has been one of my favorites characters since the start. 

• Love 3