Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E14: Into The Wild

An FBI team-building day tests Abbie and Sophie's survival skills when they confront a monster that could expose them to Reynolds. Meanwhile, Ichabod realizes he may have underestimated the importance of a symbol from the Catacombs; and Jenny and Joe learn the value of an item in their possession.

I figured the symbol wasn't evil. Crane was too insistent that it was. Cool find on his part. I can't wait to find out more about the symbol and why it was on the outside of the Catacombs temple. Also interesting that Pandora is not feeling destroying the Witnesses at all.

I totally didn't get Abbie's conversation with Danny at the end. But then I was distracted at times during this episode by a call.

That's all I have for now. Will have to rewatch for more thoughts.

• Love 1

I didn't understand Abbie's conversation with Danny at the end either. Is the show trying to make us believe that she still has feelings for him?

Danny was a jerk this episode. How were they able to kill the monster at the end? Gonna have to watch again.

• Love 4

Also interesting that Pandora is not feeling destroying the Witnesses at all.

Someone theorized that she might turn on the Hidden One in the end a while back.

• Love 1

How were they able to kill the monster at the end? Gonna have to watch again.

I just watched it again and I still don't get it.  Crane shot it but why would bullets hurt it enough for Abbie to stab it with a medicine-infused spear?  Unless they have special/magic bullets now?  I'm so used to them killing things in Supernatural with iron or silver bullets that I can't keep track of what kills what but as far as I know that's not a thing on this show, is it?

Very confusing episode.  And not enough Crane.  But I was glad for the Wendigo continuity.  

Edited by cassandle
  • Love 1

Fast thoughts.

I adore Sophie. She is smart, resourceful and a stand-up person all around. I liked seeing her and Abbie work together and have respect for each other's abilities. Nice friendship developing there. Way to go, Show.

Call me foolish, but I wasn't expecting the coolness (for lack of a better word right now) between Ichabbie. After all the feels and desperation of the last two weeks, their first interaction was like a bucket of cold water in the face. What is up with that???

Danny. Why is he bugging? Okay, I get that he and Abbie had a thing that didn't go as expected, but I don't understand his hot and cold attitude towards Abbie. And then there's Abbie. When she finally decides to open up a teensy bit with Danny, she's all cryptic. What I'm coming away with is this: whatever she felt for Danny she never felt for anyone else, which pretty much says she doesn't think of Crane romantically at all, but I'm not sure how to interpret the rest of her comments. I'm not sure I buy into the idea that she wants to continue whatever they had. I don't know; maybe it's wishful thinking on my part, but if this is going to be Danny & Abbie as opposed to Crane & Abbie, I'm afraid my new TV won't survive the season.

Whatever the MOTW was, it was NASTY and CREEPY.

Joe & Jenny at the auction seemed to go on forever. But I did like Pandora coming in all badass and declaring that no one was taking her power again. Ooooo! Turn that fury on THO, girlfriend.

So...it would seem Joe has some residual Wendigo juice darkening his soul.

I am shocked and impressed by the symbol/tablet/witness reveal. That was AWESOME and frankly unbelievably delivered for this show. LOL

Best scene ever? Well, that would be a toss up between Crane appearing and taking care of business in defense of his "partner," followed by Crane asking Abbie what was wrong (in the sexiest voice ever, I might add), then delivering that line about thinking that things might hurt when they actually will save you. Wow. That was a really nice scene. Loved it.

So, THO is all about killing Witnesses? Um, okay.

Props for a flashback that didn't hinge on Crane or SBR. 3 weeks with no Betsy. Damn! We are on a roll. I love it.

And lastly, I don't hate Jenny & Joe, but I don't ship them either and I'm tired of them sucking up all the personal relationship time on this flipping show.

That is all for now.

Edited by taurusrose
  • Love 10

The thing that had me wondering most at the end of the episode was the return of Joe's Wendigo aspect. Obviously not a good thing, but it manifested at an opportune time and in an episode where others were saying that the thing that you fear can be the thing that saves you. Of course we know why it happened; contact with Pandora's box, but I did wonder if they were opening the door to the notion it could be a power he can control rather than a possession of himself by a blood-thirsty entity. I also wondered if it was a reference to Pandora herself who seems fed up with her household God's douchebag ways. I will say, even if he was being an ass about it,  I appreciated him finally leaving the house to do something for himself instead of ordering Pandora to fetch while slumping in his chair grumping like the ancient times Archie Bunker. I get the feeling Pandora wants to shove him in her box, and not in the "reunited 'cause it feels so good" way.

Add me to those who didn't entirely get what the hell that conversation Daniel and Abbie had was really about. There was really thin dialogue in that exchange.  I think I know what they were saying but it seemed to have a point about them as a couple that somewhat escaped me.

Edited by yuggapukka
  • Love 9

I was confused by the Danny/Abbie scene too. Are they trying to toss Danny in as a roadblock, at this late stage? "Oh, we gave you all those feels, but now we're going to tease you with the Danny-in-the-room." Show, you don't know what you're going to unleash in fans who've been messed with One-Too-Many-Times, if you go that route!

I loved the call back to Abbie's ancestry though, as she was mixing the anti-monster drug. Focusing on her hands and the herbs the way they did had me thinking "well, of course with time, she'd be good at this (and 10 months of nothing to do is a long time)... look at who she came from! Yay, Grace genes!

Pandy so needs to shiv her hubby. And fiercely claim her power while she does it.

Edited by CalamityBoPeep
  • Love 2

Count me as confused as hell what they were going for with Danny/Abbie, I will say I don't think it was about saying Abbie's feelings for Dannywere more meaningful than what she shares with Crane, the best I can come up with is that it's the opposite, that this life she leads and this bond she has with Ichabod, make the kind of relationship she had with Danny impossible, I think if Abbie really fell for someone NOT Crane, she'd bring him into the circle of trust, which she rightfully hasn't been able to do with Danny (he's keeping tabs on her for that government dude). I think it was just a poorly written way to re-iterate that she doesn't know who or what to trust, and so she's trying to interrogate if her lack of trust in Danny is warranted, or if she's being unjustly paranoid, if like Sophie he could be another source of strength in their fight against evil. Very muddled all around.

I loved all the stuff with the symbol being two pieces strongly bonded, awwwww, and it's potential relationship to the tablets.

• Love 1

Very confusing episode.  And not enough Crane.

Completely agree. And it's happened so many times this season. And in context, him alone, or with Team Witness, not saddled with crazy wife and crazy son.

I've noticed this for several episodes this season. I'm sorry, but last season, Abbie may have been "sidelined", but at least she appeared for a fair amount of an episode. Crane - nowhere near. Maybe it's personal - he wants to be with his family. But if anyone can say they are being truly sidelined (in s3), it's Crane/TM.

This episode, Sophie provided the "Crane commentary" too.

The only thing I really really cared about, was Sophie/Abbie interactions (I actually love Sophie), and whenever Crane was on my screen. Otherwise, didn't care less. Thought maggot producing monster was fun (well, the creepy maggot part of it).

• Love 4

I just watched it again and I still don't get it. Crane shot it but why would bullets hurt it enough for Abbie to stab it with a medicine-infused spear? Unless they have special/magic bullets now? I'm so used to them killing things in Supernatural with iron or silver bullets that I can't keep track of what kills what but as far as I know that's not a thing on this show, is it?

Very confusing episode. And not enough Crane. But I was glad for the Wendigo continuity.

I was thinking that the monster had been weakened enough by the antibiotic spears that the bullets had an effect and that bought time for a final spear. After all antibiotics build up in their influence.

Closing Abbie scene makes no sense.

Edited by call me ishmael
  • Love 5

The antibiotics would have worked on Mr. Maggot Monster because he had little resistance to them. Not a modern creature that would have developed immunity, like the rest of us, where antibiotic overuse has led to many being ineffective.

How much money does Corbin have? A million dollars for an artifact is a lot of money and you just can't write a cheque for your auction purchase.

Most team-building exercises are useless. Did enjoy the Sophie and Abbie teamwork and developing trust.

The magnetized two halves of the rune or symbol wasn't surprising. Did like seeing Ichabod experience the remote viewing properties and energetic connectedness with Abbie.

Pandora is getting very tired of the Hidden One. The Witnesses may come in handy at getting rid of him.

• Love 1

Joe and Jenny's subplot almost put me to sleep and I was so glad when Pandora finally showed up and gave that whole thing a kick in the ass.  It just sucks because I love Jenny and like Joe well enough, but there is something about their relationship that I find annoying.  All the bickering and drama is just eye-roll worthy.  It's actually making me miss whatever Jenny "had" with Hawley.  Hopefully Joe's fear over going full Wendigo again will take this entire thing into a whole new direction. And while what he did was stupid last week, I'd rather Jenny didn't keep mocking him for it.  Yes, he was being a idiotic doofus, but you're starting to be kind of a jerk, Jenny.

The rest of the episode was pretty good though.  The Monster of the Week was pretty badass, and I enjoyed the Abbie/Sophie partnership and how they worked among each other.  Ichabod discovering that the symbol might actually be helpful to him and Abbie was a nice swerve, and made up for his lack of screentime in this episode.  I even found Daniel a bit more interesting in this one, although his final scene with Abbie was a bit silly.  Is she saying she's open to the idea of them being romantic again?  Come one, show.

Of course, The Hidden One mocks Pandora for not being able to "get the job done", even though he's lost out plenty of times to Team Witness.  The sooner Pandora finally stabs him in the back, the better.  Team Pandora!

• Love 2

I've noticed this for several episodes this season. I'm sorry, but last season, Abbie may have been "sidelined", but at least she appeared for a fair amount of an episode. Crane - nowhere near. Maybe it's personal - he wants to be with his family. But if anyone can say they are being truly sidelined (in s3), it's Crane/TM.

I disagree. Crane has been heavily featured this season except for maybe three episodes. He especially had a significant amount of scenes in the first half of the season when there were lots of Betsy Ross flashbacks.  His scenes have been slightly reduced in the back half of the season mainly due to the focus being on how Abbie was affected personally and professionally by her time in the Catacombs. Last night's episode was the first time this season that he was MIA nearly the whole episode until the end.

So I went back and rewatched the episode...

I really liked the Jenny/Abbie scene at the beginning. Though brief it showed that they are pretty open with each other about their lives. Jenny knows about the symbol and questions Abbie about Danny, and Abbie knows about Joe buying the trailer. In some ways I think Abbie is more open with Jenny than Crane. They've come a long way in their relationship since S1. It was really nice to see them spending some one on one time together without the men in their lives.

I was happy to see that in the first Abbie and Crane scene, they were FINALLY trying to be proactive about figuring out what Pandora and THO are up to.  It took long enough.

Call me foolish, but I wasn't expecting the coolness (for lack of a better word right now) between Ichabbie. After all the feels and desperation of the last two weeks, their first interaction was like a bucket of cold water in the face. What is up with that???

Agreed. It was all business, which was strange considering how much closer they've become over the past few episodes. I also thought if the writers are going in the direction of Abbie/Crane a perfect opportunity to continuously build on that would've been to have Jenny bring him up while her and Abbie were having girl talk at their outing. Or that we'd have seen something click with Abbie when Sophie mentioned how the supernatural wasn't all bad, that it had brought her Crane, but there was nothing. So I'm not sure if the writers are backing off a little bit on what they've inferred thus far or if they dropped the ball here. 

Nitpicks

Pandora's box exploded in that cave. How did a piece of it end up in a place where it could be collected and sold for auction by some random acquisitions dealer?

How was Sophie able to suddenly come help Abbie when the monster attacked? She and Danny had literally walked off minutes earlier to continue their trek out the woods then the next scene, she was rescuing Abbie from the monster. Why did she and Danny stop? How did she explain the reason for stopping and running back to find Abbie?

Why wasn't Abbie worried about Danny hiking through the woods alone with that monster running around?

Abbie said that while in the Catacombs she learned how to make her own medicine. If she didn't feel the natural biological instincts of being human i.e. sleep, hunger etc. I wouldn't think she would've experienced illness either.  So what did she need medicine for?

None of the Danny/Abbie scenes made any sense. As someone said upthread he's hot and cold with her. One minute he's saying he loves her and wants her back at the FBI. The next he's saying he never wanted her back at the FBI and is giving her the business about leaving their relationship. Abbie is just as confusing with her declarations of "honesty", which is not honesty at all and saying that she and Danny are not in the past. If this is Abbie/Danny working their way back to each other it's being horribly written.

Intriguing Things

I really liked the link between the symbol, the witnesses and their bond and the Catacombs. I hope that we'll get an interesting story out of this because I find this fascinating and I'm excited about what could be.

THO is going to rue the day that he so easily dismissed Pandora and called her selfish for wanting her power back. In that last scene with THO she thought that he was going to strengthen her power so that she could be more effective, instead the asshole denounced her AGAIN and decided he needed to kill the witnesses. SMH. I find it interesting that she doesn't want the witnesses dead. She's never wanted them dead. In one of the episodes earlier in the season she stated that there was a place for the witnesses in the new world, which is likely why she wants them alive and hasn't killed them when she's had the chance. I'd like to know more about this.

The most interesting thing about Joe and Jenny tonight was learning that the Wendigo is still inside of him and can be awakened by Pandora's box. I too wonder if it will be a power that he will eventually be able to control and use to help Team Witness.

I'd like to know who this mystery person is that Danny works for and why they wanted Abbie back at the FBI at all costs?

I wonder if the guy who tried to steal a piece of Pandora's box from Joe and Jenny was buying it for the the man who killed Nevins? He seemed pretty hell bent on getting it for his buyer even when Joe offered to double the fee he'd be paid for obtaining it.

This was an okay episode, a little better than last week. The best parts were Crane, Crane/Abbie and Pandora slowly but surely getting her groove back. 

• Love 2

Ugh, no, that was disappointing. After last episode, I needed something different. I needed to see them closer than ever. You just can't finish last episode the way they did it and then give us this episode, where they're barely together. I'm okay with a slow burn approach, but this was pretending that last episode didn't have any emotional consequences and sorry, I don't buy that. And Daniel... Omg, why? What's the point? He wasn't the one Abbie pictured in her head when she was trapped, he isn't the one she trusts with her life. Why are we wasting time with their dead relationship? 

I loved the bit about the symbols, though. Ichabod and Abbie having that mental link sounds very cool and promising. I also liked the Wendigo stuff. It might lead to something interesting. And Abbie and Sophie's friendship is nice.

Edited by Helena Dax
  • Love 6

I enjoyed the forward movement of the plot here but shared similar concerns as many of you. I didn't like the splitting of the Witnesses, but I enjoyed Crane's disappointment about that--he is coming into his own and depending less on Abs(yes, I know he was on his own for a whole year basically) after all, I just wish we were able to see more of his adventure too somehow, but it was good to see Abbie and Sophie bonding. Love how Sophie brought up Crane as a supernatural boon and that Abbie said the same of her. Abbie is still appearing to channel strength from another source in moments of the heat of battle, almost like powering up or...not really sure what to call it, kind of a semi meditative state. I cheered when Crane was able to sense her and referred to her as his "partner." He has said that before, but something in the way he said it...also enjoy him coming to her aid. He so often does but it's often played as tho he is too late or needs to be saved himself.

• Love 1

Do we need Danny to be bratty ass every week? It's getting exhausting and I just don't care about Danny, his issues and his ~feelings~ for Abbie all that much. I mean I care about his involvement in the government conspiracy plot but nothing else. He's boring. That's why I don't know what the purpose of Danny this episode even was, since he was doing nothing while Abbie and Sohie got shit done all by themselves. Oh, I guess he went for help and lectured Abbie about... whatever? Dude, let it go, she's already living with someone else!

On the other hand, Abbie and Sophie vs. Worm Man (kudos to special effects department, BTW) was pretty much great all around. This is proper usage of Sophie, who is cute, smart and competent, and it was nice of Abbie to appreciate it! I liked how the writing was playing with both their strengths there as well. Of course, it was all very convenient that the forest hideout had this old book lying around in the attic for Sophie to find, but eh. We even had a creepy Worm Zombie flashback out of it. And good for Abbie to come up with the scientific solution to the magical problem once again. I was screaming "use the moss" for ages this episode. Glad Abbie was able to figure it out!

Not sure why we barely had Ichabod this episode. Did Tom Mison went on vacation when it was filmed or what? No matter. His C story-line was useful in the major way. I hope the tablet/the symbol that connects the Witnesses will connect them to the Moderately Good Brother of THO. Ichabod going gun blazing into the woods was awesome, but the Witnesses' conversation was absolute dud in every way (no chemistry, no warmth, no nothing). Weird and disappointing after such promise of the last week.

Wow, so Pandora is doing a slow burn snapping, I see. I was enjoying her being independent evil badass way too much. Don't underestimate the Force, unfortunate scumbag that probably works on the Government Conspiracy Guy!

Joenny is whatever. They still fight about boundaries? Seriously? Whatever. But it's cool that Pandora's Box can awake Joe's Wendigo powers! That's creepy!

• Love 2

I never like to see Crane and Abbie separated but it worked here.  Gave Abbie a strong episode and Sophie has been a terrific addition to the cast.  They worked well together.  Liked Pandora becoming more active and the Joe/Jenny plot.

• Love 1

The friendship between Abbie and Sophie, and Abbie's hair are turning out to be the best thing about this season. I loved their scenes. I can't believe this show waited so long to give the main female character a friend.

I also loved that there were no Crane flashbacks, which means no Sexy!Betsy and this makes the third week in a row without her. Awesome!

So not only did they finish Abbie's post-catacomb trauma story with a whimper, but the rune turned out to be a senseless letdown. So the symbol is the representation of their "bond"? Wouldn't it have been funny if Abbie had let Ichy die, because she was obsessed with the manifestation of their "bond"?

Danny shouldn't even talk at this point. He doesn't seem to be able to make sense and I wish the writers gave some hint they know, what they are doing, which is delusional of me, considering how convinced I am they are incapable of writing romantic relationships to save their lives. Apparently, they have chosen "contradictory, cryptic and vague" for Abbie and Danny, although in their case they don't even have a relationship.

• Love 1

Never underestimate the power of a natural bond!

Let me see if I have this straight - the Hidden One is totally justified in wanting his power back, but Pandora is selfish for wanting HER power back (which she gave to him). Okay then.

On the plus side, if this is what it takes for Pandora to finally turn on him and get her groove back, so be it! I'm not saying I want her to go back to her old evil self but I'm so tired of her being the quiet submissive little wifey, swallowing her feelings and letting him make all the decisions.

• Love 2

I took Abbie & Danny's talk at the end as her trying to get him to simmer down on his hostility but also trying to tell him she already has a partner with whom she has a perfect bond, and the last bit was more her talking aloud to herself and slowly coming to terms with that realization. I mean, she did repeat what Ichabod said to her. I don't think it was TO Danny, it was AT Danny. Abbie trusts someone wholeheartedly, and it's Crane. When she stayed back to take on Glow Worm and was getting anxious, she was remembering her worship of the symbol but her last image was Ichabod calling out her name to save him. That is when she went all Matrix on Glow Worm.

I agree they could've been clearer about that conversation, but after the reveal of the two halves of the sigil, showing very plainly they belong to Ichabbie, that they are literally BOUND to each other on a psychic level? They know Ichabbie is end game, y'all. I am absolutely positive.

• Love 5

I took Abbie & Danny's talk at the end as her trying to get him to simmer down on his hostility but also trying to tell him she already has a partner with whom she has a perfect bond, and the last bit was more her talking aloud to herself and slowly coming to terms with that realization.

The entire conversation between Abbie and Danny sounded like it was written by the X-Files writers. That's basically how Scully usually expressed her feelings towards Mulder and vise versa: in the most vague way possible. Considering Abbie's "Mulder" is Ichabod it sounded even more weird to me.

• Love 1

Not as good as last week but I enjoyed it. Can't remember how they got rid of the Wendigo all those episodes ago, for some reason I thought it was a permanent fix, I guess it wasn't. That being said the whole theme of "something that you think will hurt you will protect you" also echoed Joe/Wendigo.

I think that power will come into play later in the series.

FINALLY, Pandora is officially getting fed up with the Hidden One. I thought they had been together for eons but based on last weeks episode it looked as if she was his servant, he gave her the box and he got taken away. She then spent the next 4000 years with the aim of bringing him back. So they have never really spent any quality time together it seems and now she is really getting to know him. Can't wait for her to take back her power.

I like Joe and Jenny, but there is something about the way they are portraying their romantic relationship recently that I don't like and I can't fully put my finger on it.

Edited by bluvelvet
  • Love 3

I wanted more Crane in this episode - and more Crane/Abbie - but I did LOVE the whole symbol/witness/tablet "connection flash" that Ichabod got of Abbie - omgosh I LOVED THAT. I started screaming like it was 1999 and I was watching the first season of Roswell!

I had wondered if the symbol was something to do with the Witnesses - but in a "ring" kind of way, where you could lose yourself to it too? But when Crane pressed it into the tablet and got the flash, I was so happy I sat up straight and hollered. What I would love even more would be if Crane/Abbie became so connected that they didn't need the symbol to see flashes of each other in heightened situations... that would make an awesome fanfic.

I don't think Crane has been sidelined this season - he and Abbie have the same screen time overall - but I think the difference this season is that Abbie has been driving the story much more so than Crane this season. Crane is just reacting with flashbacks and stuff to help the story - except for Crane being afraid in the first half of the season that he'd lose Abbie - Abbie in the back half is leading the story now. I'm fine with that.

But I don't want another episode where Crane/Abbie are apart for so long. Though it did create the perfect situation for Crane to have the flash of Abbie being in danger - WOW - still cannot get over that. So happy.

I'm also confused about Danny/Abbie - what? Whatever.

I didn't like how "cool" Ichabbie was after last episode - we can't get a scene where Crane rushes in to help a distraught Abbie in the middle of the night? Ugh. What's the point of them living together if we can't get that BASIC trope, lol?

I hope Pandora is finally waking up - though the anger she turned on Joenny should have been at The HO. I like saying The HO instead of THO. I like insulting him, lol. He's such a dickhead.

I feel like the show both gained and lost momentum. The symbol thing & Pandora gained momentum while everything else felt like it didn't.

I miss the insane parts from S1...

I wonder if they will go anywhere with the Wendigo thing...?

Edited by phoenics
  • Love 7

Bleurgh! MOTW looked like it was made of intestines. :P

When they first showed it, I thought it was a human who had been wrapped in aluminum foil so not impressed at all.  Subsequent viewings showed more detail and when the intestiny tongues were almost touching Abbie's face I was thoroughly horrified.

The friendship between Abbie and Sophie, and Abbie's hair are turning out to be the best thing about this season. I loved their scenes. I can't believe this show waited so long to give the main female character a friend.

I'm really liking how Sophie has been incorporated into the story and to Abbie.  Normally shows introduce a female enemy, but not a friend so yeah for Show!  I totally agree about Abbie's hair but I have to give kudo's to letting Sophie's natural freckles show through.  I don't remember seeing them previously or maybe I just don't notice the details.

ETA:  Joe's always more interesting as the wendago.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 1
I like Joe and Jenny, but there is something about the way they are portraying their romantic relationship recently that I don't like and I can't fully put my finger on it.

I like them both too, but I agree their relationship is not working for me.  Jenny's attitude about Joe buying her a trailer is a bit off putting as well.  I remember when I was young and first starting out, I lived in a rundown home with a piece-of-shit car, and if someone had surprised me with a replacement of either, I would have been giddy and grateful.  I'm not saying Jenny didn't have a point, but seriously, she has already made that point, so why continue to act so offended.  It seems like she is being kind of brat over a well intentioned gesture. It's not like he intentionally did something to harm her.

• Love 4

Crane showed up at the end of this episode just like Abbie did in Pittura Infamante (or whatever that horrible ep was called) with the same sort of awesome energy she had.

And they separated the witnesses for most of the episode too - but at least last night there was a point to it - we found out about the witness connection through the symbol. And Abbie/Sophie were far more entertaining than Crane/StruggleWitch.

• Love 3

I totally agree about Abbie's hair but I have to give kudo's to letting Sophie's natural freckles show through.  I don't remember seeing them previously or maybe I just don't notice the details.

Freckles. Always been there. And they've always been adorable. LOL

And Abbie/Sophie were far more entertaining than Crane/StruggleWitch.

Oh, hell yeah. About a zillion times more.

Edited by taurusrose
  • Love 5

Completely agree. And it's happened so many times this season. And in context, him alone, or with Team Witness, not saddled with crazy wife and crazy son.

Heh.  It took me a minute to figure out what wife and son you're talking about--they've become such non-entities to me.

Let me see if I have this straight - the Hidden One is totally justified in wanting his power back, but Pandora is selfish for wanting HER power back (which she gave to him). Okay then.

Yup, that sounds about right.  After all, it's all Pandora's fault in the first place for not stopping Abbie before she ran off with the shard.  And for goading Abbie into destroying it.  Forget the fact that she went to an awful lot of trouble to bring that ungrateful, whiny bastard into this realm in the first place.  I really hope Pandora's the one who gets to kill him.

Not as good as last week but I enjoyed it. Can't remember how they got rid of the Wendigo all those episodes ago, for some reason I thought it was a permanent fix, I guess it wasn't. That being said the whole theme of "something that you think will hurt you will protect you" also echoed Joe/Wendigo.

If I remember right Hawley found them a Shoshone (?) cure but after Crane recited the spell/cure they didn't think it took but then Abbie's bond to Joe is what finally made him change back to human?  Maybe?  

• Love 2

I wasn't blown away by this episode, and as others have said, I was a little nonplussed by what they were trying to do with Abbie and Danny. Especially after last week's episode. I, too, missed Crane.

What I did like was the way they handled the relationships among the women. The first scene was great with Jenny and Abbie making it clear that they've talked in depth about what is going on in their lives without spending the time showing them telling each other what we, the audience, have already seen. I liked that. I also liked that they're not having Abbie and Sophie compete with each other - not professionally and not personally. Well done, Show.

• Love 4
I wanted more Crane in this episode - and more Crane/Abbie - but I did LOVE the whole symbol/witness/tablet "connection flash" that Ichabod got of Abbie - omgosh I LOVED THAT. I started screaming like it was 1999 and I was watching the first season of Roswell!
I don't think Crane has been sidelined this season

The sidelining is different. Season 2, yes is was CFD, but Abbie was mostly there with Crane (and JN and KW and whoever else was around). This season, Abbie is driving the story, but Crane is not with her. He's absent from the screen completely, whereas Abbie was actually present on screen in S2. Pittura Infamate is the only example in season 2. This season, it's at least three episodes (ignoring One Life, because that was needed). That's what I mean by sidelining. And I notice, because I love TM, and I miss seeing him on my screen. He definately has less screen time, and that time is taken by Jenny/Joe.

I wasn't blown away by this episode, and as others have said, I was a little nonplussed by what they were trying to do with Abbie and Danny.

Neither was I. I liked the Abbie/Sophie togetherness and Crane discovering the secret of the tablet and symbol and the maggoty demon. That was cool.

So Abbie's into Danny again? I have no idea what that final scene between them meant?

Also, anyone catch how Danny said something like he was forced to tell Abbie that he loved her, because he needed her to get back into the FBI? I know it has something to do with that shady government guy, but man...if I was Abbie, I'd be pissed.

I'm looking forward to Pandora wiping that arrogant smirk off THO's face. It will be epic.

• Love 2

So many good ideas to respond to; I'll post my episode thoughts after a Hulu rewatch tonight.

[1] Danny. Why is he bugging? Okay, I get that he and Abbie had a thing that didn't go as expected, but I don't understand his hot and cold attitude towards Abbie. And then there's Abbie. When she finally decides to open up a teensy bit with Danny, she's all cryptic. What I'm coming away with is this: whatever she felt for Danny she never felt for anyone else, which pretty much says she doesn't think of Crane romantically at all, but I'm not sure how to interpret the rest of her comments. I'm not sure I buy into the idea that she wants to continue whatever they had. I don't know; maybe it's wishful thinking on my part, but if this is going to be Danny & Abbie as opposed to Crane & Abbie, I'm afraid my new TV won't survive the season.
[snip]
[2] Best scene ever? Well, that would be a toss up between Crane appearing and taking care of business in defense of his "partner," followed by Crane asking Abbie what was wrong (in the sexiest voice ever, I might add), then delivering that line about thinking that things might hurt when they actually will save you. Wow. That was a really nice scene. Loved it.

[1] Ugh, that guy's the worst.  The only way I can deal with that last scene is by convincing myself that Abbie caught on to his comment about not wanting to ask her back and having secrets that he keeps from her.  This whole . . . reconciliation? whatever . . . is Abbie's in to see what he's up to.  They have to make her aware of this "asset," "diamond-in-the-rough," FBI secret at some point, right?

[2] Oh, yes!  We didn't have a lot of Crane this episode (more on that in later comments), but what we got was great.

[1] I was happy to see that in the first Abbie and Crane scene, they were FINALLY trying to be proactive about figuring out what Pandora and THO are up to.  It took long enough.

Agreed. It was all business, which was strange considering how much closer they've become over the past few episodes. I also thought if the writers are going in the direction of Abbie/Crane a perfect opportunity to continuously build on that would've been to have Jenny bring him up while her and Abbie were having girl talk at their outing. Or that we'd have seen something click with Abbie when Sophie mentioned how the supernatural wasn't all bad, that it had brought her Crane, but there was nothing. So I'm not sure if the writers are backing off a little bit on what they've inferred thus far or if they dropped the ball here. 

Nitpicks[snip]

[2] Abbie said that while in the Catacombs she learned how to make her own medicine. If she didn't feel the natural biological instincts of being human i.e. sleep, hunger etc. I wouldn't think she would've experienced illness either.  So what did she need medicine for?

Intriguing Things[snip]

[3] THO is going to rue the day that he so easily dismissed Pandora and called her selfish for wanting her power back. In that last scene with THO she thought that he was going to strengthen her power so that she could be more effective, instead the asshole denounced her AGAIN and decided he needed to kill the witnesses. SMH. I find it interesting that she doesn't want the witnesses dead. She's never wanted them dead. In one of the episodes earlier in the season she stated that there was a place for the witnesses in the new world, which is likely why she wants them alive and hasn't killed them when she's had the chance. I'd like to know more about this.

[1] You are so right on this.  Their passivity has been almost as frustrating as their growing habit of letting monsters speechify while they stand around with weapons pointed.  It seems like it would be a simple matter (and much better writing) to either show them trying to get ahead of the problem (like with Moloch and the Horsemen) or explain what's keeping them from doing so.  Also, the Ichabbie interaction at the beginning of the episode felt like someone flushed a toilet while I was taking a nice hot shower.  Dear writers, "slow burn" is not the same as "hot-and-cold"!  C'mon, now.

[2] I totally had the same reaction.  Do better, Albert Kim.

[3] Okay, Danny isn't quite the worst since THO is still around.  My current theory is that Pandora knew an incarnation of the Witnesses (or maybe even the original ones) in her human days; I wouldn't be surprised if Abbie is descended from Pandora's sister or something.  It would be even better if human Pandora was a witch (prompting her father to beat her until she lost the ability to speak) and that bloodline leads through Grace and to Abbie.

I also loved that there were no Crane flashbacks, which means no Sexy!Betsy and this makes the third week in a row without her. Awesome!

Yes, yes, yes!  Is it wrong that I would be willing to trade Sophie for Jenny at this point?  I mean, I'm all for having multiple positive, healthy relationships between female characters on the show, but if we ever did have to choose . . .

Part of me is afraid to celebrate the lack of Sexy!Betsy, but I can't help it.  I still have my Busty-induced flashback anxiety, though, and lunge for the remote when it looks like they're jumping to a scene from the past.  CONSTANT VIGILANCE!!

Never underestimate the power of a natural bond!

Ha!  When Scientist Guy said that, I thought that Crane is totally going to use that line on Abbie.  I'm here for it, too.

What I did like was the way they handled the relationships among the women. The first scene was great with Jenny and Abbie making it clear that they've talked in depth about what is going on in their lives without spending the time showing them telling each other what we, the audience, have already seen. I liked that. I also liked that they're not having Abbie and Sophie compete with each other - not professionally and not personally. Well done, Show.

I not only agree; I'm pretty stoked about Pandora/Abbie as well.  Earlier in the season, I expressed my hope that Abbie will get to sway Pandora over to the good side.  Now, my wacky brain has decided to cast Abbie, Pandy, Sophie, and Jenny as a supernatural En Vogue, with Pandora singing lead on "Never Gonna Get It" (Pandy:  "I give to the needy, and not the greedy."  Abbie:  "Mmm, hmm, that's right!").  Watch out, THO!

[1] The sidelining is different. Season 2, yes is was CFD, but Abbie was mostly there with Crane (and JN and KW and whoever else was around). [a] This season, Abbie is driving the story, but Crane is not with her.He's absent from the screen completely, whereas Abbie was actually present on screen in S2. Pittura Infamate is the only example in season 2. This season, it's at least three episodes (ignoring One Life, because that was needed). That's what I mean by sidelining. And I notice, because I love TM, and I miss seeing him on my screen. He definately has less screen time, and that time is taken by Jenny/Joe.

[snip]

[2] I'm looking forward to Pandora wiping that arrogant smirk off THO's face. It will be epic.

[1] I agree with Enero that these aren't comparable situations.  In terms of [a], Crane hasn't been present in some of the FBI/Nevins stuff, presumably because the show recognizes that it's harder to justify Abbie dragging him to all the FBI stuff.  However, they have compensated by giving him his own storylines (citizenship/Zoe) and pushing the SexyBetsy flashbacks.  His agency and status as a Witness have not been compromised and disregarded the way that Abbie's were in S2 (and that's not even considering the race/gender problems with the show doing that to Abbie). 

I did, however, miss his presence in this episode and totally agree with .  Someone on Twitter referred to Sophie as "fetch" (as in, stop trying to make her happen); I believe that moniker is much more aptly applied to Joenny, whom I actually like in small doses. 

[2] *using my best Crane voice* In-deeeed!

• Love 2
I just watched it again and I still don't get it.  Crane shot it but why would bullets hurt it enough for Abbie to stab it with a medicine-infused spear?  Unless they have special/magic bullets now?

This. Crane and Abby have been shooting up a storm at the MOW with nothing happening. Then this week Crane shoots the thing a couple a times and it's a dead doornail, even after being run through repeatedly with lances/spears did nothing. I still say carrying a saber (heh) is the best defense against all monsters, including zombies.

What a crack up at the auction. Everyone gets little cell phones to bid with so as to stay secret, but who can't see each person, head down, typing onto the device, all while the device is 'BEEP BEEP BEEPING' up a storm, everyone can hear it.

All that time holding and inspecting the symbol and no one noticed it was two parts. Okay, yeah, right.

Still love me some Crane, and Abbie looked beautiful. And thank goodness she's all herb-medicine smart and can find just the right type of moss to save someone's life.

• Love 1

I found myself wondering about the mechanics of secret, occult artifacts auctions. How are these artifacts authenticated to the satisfaction of the bidders? Sure, this hunk of metal or whatnot looks vaguely Sumerian but what is its provenance? What about it would lead anyone think it has any connection to some sort of mystical, magical woo-woo rather than being an ordinary ancient Sumerian artifact, if it is in fact an ancient artifact?

• Love 1

I really liked this episode. It moved very quickly and was a lot of fun. I agree that the Abbie/Danny convo at the end was weird, but not going to let it diminish my enjoyment of the ep.

The sidelining is different. Season 2, yes is was CFD, but Abbie was mostly there with Crane (and JN and KW and whoever else was around). This season, Abbie is driving the story, but Crane is not with her.

Yes, Abbie was "present", but she was sorely used, and, frankly, would have better off not be present than to run roughshod over like she was.

[A] Is it wrong that I would be willing to trade Sophie for Jenny at this point?

[b His agency and status as a Witness have not been compromised and disregarded the way that Abbie's were in S2 (and that's not even considering the race/gender problems with the show doing that to Abbie).

[A] YES, it's terribly wrong. This is the first show that I can recall that two pairs of WoC had extended conversations that were not about the men in their lives. I hadn't relly liked Sophie when she first start up, but her relationship with Abbie is one of the best. And Jenny andf Abbie have acheived a great sisterly vibe. Get Jenny and Joe to break up, although I hope they don't, but leave both women on the show!

I don't think Jenny's being to hard on Joe. She's teasing him -- couples do that.

Yes, exactly.  If Jenny was constantly over-ruling Crane and ignoring everything he said, then you'd have a case.

• Love 2

I agree with others this episode didn't hold my interest as much as previous ones. The Danny/Abbie just didn't seem to lead anywhere or have a clear narrative. I think the show uses subtext too much already, but it was especially apparent considering we have gotten very little backstory on Danny as is. And it did seem odd timing to have this episode placed where it was considering they have been building up Ichabbie over the last few weeks.

I liked the Sophie/Abbie interactions, but Joe/Jenny are getting overexposed by getting so much screen time. Maybe it was unavoidable because they weren't going to have much Crane this episode, but it just seems like there is no real pacing/spark to their relationship. I am also unsure what to think of the symbol being for good, as it takes away from the build of it possibly influencing Abbie for evil and the conflict that could have. I am happy though that it seems like we are getting closer to a HO/Pandora split, as it has been long overdue at this point.

I will give the show a break, as I assume they were hamstrung due to something with Tom's schedule, but I hope things get back on track next week with more plot movement plus more Ichabbie

• Love 1

This episode was odd.  I liked so many things about it individually, but collectively it probably would not be one that I go back and re-watch over and over.

What I liked:

Abbie having shared her burden with Crane last week, acts like a huge burden has been lifted off her shoulders.  She is doesn't seem as closed, and seems lighter.  I don't agree that her interaction with Crane felt cold.  I thought they felt like Abbie/Crane.  However in the aftermath of the last few weeks where their relationship did feel like there was a shift -- with hand porn, him being overly protective, and her emotionally asking for his help--  I could see why them going back to their pre-catacombs interactions would come off as 'cold.' 

Which leads to another thing I really liked: the constant references of how much they are there for each other. When Sophie asks if Abbie ever felt like she would never get out, Abbie reinforced that her belief in Crane coming to get her is what kept her convinced she would get out.  And then the great reveal with the symbol and the tablet with the scientist's "don't underestimate the power of a natural bond' and "some metals are known to pair... when joined together they create energy" while showing how the symbol is actually two things joined together as one thing.  Come on.  That is just anvils hitting us in the head that that symbol is literally symbolic of Abbie & Ichabod. 

I loved Abbie & Sophie's interaction.  Good scenes and chemistry with them.

Loved the callback to the Wendigo and how that got worked into Pandora's story. 

Confirmation that Pandora is seeing THO for what he is.  Her rant at Jenny/Joe was what she couldn't say to him.  I feel a sea-change coming on.

Poor Danny.   When he said "When people go missing, I find them, I don't give up."  I sighed.  Given that not just 15 minutes earlier Abbie had talked about knowing Crane was coming for her and we saw how talking to not-there-Crane and playing chess with not-there-Crane kept her sane, it was a rather sad moment for reasons he doesn't even realize.  We saw Crane not being able to sleep and missing his citizenship interview in his efforts to find her.  Danny got up and went to work everyday.  It isn't a fair fight really. 

Which brings me to what I didn't like:

Abbie's weird conversation with Danny.  I know a lot of people think it is some admittance on her part that she still feels something for Danny.  At first I did too, but in re-watch I am not so sure.  For one thing she begins the conversation with talking about 'thinking about things while she was away' and apparently she was thinking about romantic relationships.  She goes on to say 'because of the way my life is, I may never have that' and then says "I don't think of us as something in the past tense and never will.'  He then thanks her for "telling the truth."  This sounds more like "We'll always have that time in the Outer Banks" but not in a "let's have it again, please" way but rather in a "I just want to reassure you I am not just dismissing it as nothing" way.   Their body language didn't read 'romance' it read as closure or at least her way of telling him that she wasn't as unfeeling as he thinks.  it could be wistful thinking.  But the vibe just wasn't there.  Too bad the writing in that scene was so opaque, but I wonder if it is just a way of the writers being cute and trying not to be too obvious?

Abbie & Ichabod being apart.  I figure Tom Mison needed a little time off. I mean,the first episode of 3B, Nicole had the whole episode off.  I hate that they weren't together but I understand... a little.  The show just doesn't feel right without them together.  But I did appreciate Ichabod needing to be away in order for us to experience how the symbol worked and him coming in the nick of time to shoot the creature.

• Love 5

Yes, yes, yes!  Is it wrong that I would be willing to trade Sophie for Jenny at this point?  I mean, I'm all for having multiple positive, healthy relationships between female characters on the show, but if we ever did have to choose . . .

If it's wrong, I don't want us to be right. I'm more entertained by Abbie/Sophie and even Abbie/Pandora at this point. Jenny has never been a character I can stand in large doses and unfortunately I've had too much of her this season. I have liked her scenes with Abbie, but the focus on her love story hasn't done the character much good.

• Love 2
Now, my wacky brain has decided to cast Abbie, Pandy, Sophie, and Jenny as a supernatural En Vogue, with Pandora singing lead on "Never Gonna Get It" (Pandy:  "I give to the needy, and not the greedy."  Abbie:  "Mmm, hmm, that's right!").  Watch out, THO!

OMG, please make this happen!

To be honest, I had forgotten about the entire windago plot so when Joe started transforming, the first thing I thought was, "When did Joe become a vampire?'

• Love 2

If it's wrong, I don't want us to be right. I'm more entertained by Abbie/Sophie and even Abbie/Pandora at this point. Jenny has never been a character I can stand in large doses and unfortunately I've had too much of her this season. I have liked her scenes with Abbie, but the focus on her love story hasn't done the character much good.

I enjoy her overall, but this season there has been too much Jenny not doing anything very interesting. She tends to be difficult, verging on misanthropic, so a little of her can go a long way. I do actually like the Joe+Jenny pairing, but the writing for it often doesn't suit the type of chemistry the two of them have and there has definitely too much time dedicated to cutesy bickering between them that is mostly falling flat.  I just don't think either character carries that off,  Jenny comes off as cranky and Joe gets that derpy hangdog look.  I don't think they are supposed to appear dysfunctional, so why would I want to see a supposedly functional couple make one another unhappy?  They should be fun to watch, not depressing. 

• Love 5

I do actually like the Joe+Jenny pairing, but the writing for it often doesn't suit the type of chemistry the two of them have and there has definitely too much time dedicated to cutesy bickering between them that is mostly falling flat.  I just don't think either character carries that off,  Jenny comes off as cranky and Joe gets that derpy hangdog look.

Yes! This exactly. I like them, too, but the writing has been problematic to for exactly the reasons you've mentioned. I just couldn't figure out why until now. :)

• Love 2

I will give the show a break, as I assume they were hamstrung due to something with Tom's schedule,

Do tell! What is he doing? He's the only reason I watch this show ...

Edited by saber5055

So, I finally got around to watching this. I didn't put it off, just a crazy busy week, and I was EXHAUSTED by Friday, and lack of sleep caught up with me.

Ahem.

That said, Danny/Daniel does nothing for me. I find him boring. Like snoozeworthy, put me to sleep boring. If I didn't think I'd miss something important, I'd fast forward all his scenes.  And since chemistry can be subjective, I see none between him and Abbie.  And his whole when someone goes missing, I don't give up, blah, blah, blah, just came off as whining, and accusations, especially when Abbie tried to explain, and he cut her off and accused her of whatever in "Abbie's World" which just came off as sour grapes to me, and as if they had the kind of relationship where she would confide in him, OFF the JOB, that she quit when she disappeared. 

Whatever.

Because dude, you are working for a shady guy and know more than what you are revealing to your employees who could use the information to prepare themselves, so shut up and pull on your big boy pants.*

I will not lie. The BEST part of the show for me was when Ichabod was in Cranston's office and he thought he broke whatever that thing he was looking at and playing with. I laughed when he jumped away from it and put some distance between them, when Cranston came back. It was ALL in the EYES! The expressions of awe, amazement and giddiness at discovering something new. Mison is most Excellent in also portraying Crane's feelings through his beautiful eyes. Those pretty, pretty eyes....

Umm...where was I again?

Oh. Right. Retreat. Monster. Who didn't scare me at all.  

I did enjoy the scenes with Sophie and Abbie. Then Danny had to mess it up whenever he showed up.

I think Tom Mison had a cold. At the end when he showed up, he sounded like he was fighting a cold or something. He sounded congested.

*I realize I am in the MINORITY with my opinion about Danny. But I don't care. Just don't like him.  And I'm not a shipper.

• Love 7

There was something just plain odd about the Abbie/Danny convo. The words might have indicated a shift back to a romantic pairing, but the vocal expression was almost like someone making an incident report and reminded me that a relationship between the two would be problematic because of the supervisor/subordinate job situation.

I can't see myself invested in an Abbie/Danny romantic reentanglement, but if that's what they had in mind, for me it was a misfire.

• Love 1

*I realize I am in the MINORITY with my opinion about Danny. But I don't care. Just don't like him.  And I'm not a shipper.

I can't stand him either. 

I can't see myself invested in an Abbie/Danny romantic reentanglement, but if that's what they had in mind, for me it was a misfire.

Going there would be such a huge mistake... It's too soapy. And Ichabod and Abbie are better than that. Their bond is better than that. If you're looking for something epic, you can't use these cheap tricks. 

But I've been thinking and maybe she meant that Daniel was the relationship she could have had if her life had been normal, without Crane and all the supernatural stuff. So she was saying that part of her will always want that, a normal life with a normal boyfriend/husband. And that's what Daniel always mean to her.

I don't know if she realizes that she can totally have a non-normal boyfriend/husband, though. In my opinion, she still thinks her relationship with Crane is strictly platonic. 

• Love 2

I've been sorely disappointed with the Danny/Lance Gross thing. For a man to be so FINE in real life - the way the show is using him is criminal. If they don't plan on putting Ichabbie together - then I don't understand why they wouldn't just go for it with Danny/Abbie - although now I don't read anything coming from them at all chemistry-wise.

*sighs*

Okay, so I re-watched the episode a couple of times and have decided that the Abbie/Danny conversation was just poorly executed and that there is NO chance of them going back to whatever they had. Someone wrote a very insightful post on the subject on Tumblr, which basically said that Abby was letting Danny know that she didn't think of their time together as nothing special and never would, but their dynamics had changed and that time is done. This makes sense to me and like I said, after re-watching that scene a few times, I can roll with it.

Also, I liked how Crane moved Sophie along when she unwittingly intruded on his time alone with Abbie.

Sophie: "Hey. Robbie's a lot better. No more worms."

Crane: "Oh, good. I'm sure he'll be very grateful for your help."

Unlike J/J, Sophie can take a hint and says she'll go collect their gear. This is a first for Crane--at least IDR him ever telling someone to get lost so he can talk to Abbie. But there in the woods, with the romantic lighting and tension between him and Abbie, he clearly made Sophie aware that her presence was not required. I guess he's tired of people hanging around when he wants to be alone with his "partner." (Yes, I'm looking at you Joe & Jenny.) Yep, things are definitely changing on the Ichabbie front. Color me happy.

Edited by taurusrose
  • Love 4

So Abbie's into Danny again? I have no idea what that final scene between them meant?

Also, anyone catch how Danny said something like he was forced to tell Abbie that he loved her, because he needed her to get back into the FBI? I know it has something to do with that shady government guy, but man...if I was Abbie, I'd be pissed.

I didn't interpret the scene that way. I thought the gist of what Abbie said was "you coulda/shoulda/woulda fired my ass for this shit and my career would've tanked, so thanks for not" and he was like "um, yeah actually...upper ups wouldn't let me do that" and she was all "say what? /fascinated twinkle eyes"

I think the sappy "natural bond" whatever ending is a bit rush to judgement since, yeah ok, the pieces fit on the back of the ancient tablets with them on the front, but aren't those the same tablets that describe the witnesses as "The Destroyers"? So just because you get psychic visuals of each other from it doesn't necessarily mean <> evil?

• Love 1