Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E14: Into The Wild

The closeup of Ichabod's face as he realizes Abbie's in trouble... sigh. He is a beautiful, beautiful man.

Despite Crane's known outdoorsman skills, I was surprised by how fast he showed up. 

The thing that had me wondering most at the end of the episode was the return of Joe's Wendigo aspect. Obviously not a good thing, but it manifested at an opportune time and in an episode where others were saying that the thing that you fear can be the thing that saves you. Of course we know why it happened; contact with Pandora's box, but I did wonder if they were opening the door to the notion it could be a power he can control rather than a possession of himself by a blood-thirsty entity. I also wondered if it was a reference to Pandora herself who seems fed up with her household God's douchebag ways. I will say, even if he was being an ass about it,  I appreciated him finally leaving the house to do something for himself instead of ordering Pandora to fetch while slumping in his chair grumping like the ancient times Archie Bunker. I get the feeling Pandora wants to shove him in her box, and not in the "reunited 'cause it feels so good" way.

I love this insight about the Wendigo power tying in. That went over my head, you all are more clever than I. I think that's absolutely going to happen.

But I wonder if Pandora's story is the opposite -- the thing you think will save you is the one that will kill you. If you let it.

THO is the worst.

How was Sophie able to suddenly come help Abbie when the monster attacked? She and Danny had literally walked off minutes earlier to continue their trek out the woods then the next scene, she was rescuing Abbie from the monster. Why did she and Danny stop? How did she explain the reason for stopping and running back to find Abbie?

Why wasn't Abbie worried about Danny hiking through the woods alone with that monster running around?

Sophie appearing (not with Danny in tow) pulled me out of the scene. Didn't make any sense.

And not only should Abbie have been worried about Danny hiking alone re: monster, but when he said if he got lost it'd be on him I thought, actually, there are more consequences than that. If he gets lost / dies, then there are only 2 of them to get injured guy out. I get the logic of going for help, but if anything happened to him the other 3 would have been in worse shape.

I was screaming "use the moss" for ages this episode. Glad Abbie was able to figure it out!

That was practically Chekhov's Moss. The minute they called out "moss grows on the north side" my Spidey sense tingled.

• Love 2

Any chance Abbie's Spiderman moves and her ability to use natural ingredients to make a "potion" could be latent witch like abilities making themselves manifest after her year in the catatombs? I know we speculated about it in Season 2 and that's one aspect of that season I wouldn't mind revisiting.

As to how they killed the monster: the potion Abbie made was to kill the original. They had the spears dipped in it when they went after Ol' Wormy. The spears weakened it somewhat; Ichabod helped with the gun; Abbie finished off with yet more potion on that last spear. So I think it was the combination of the early amounts of potion (antibiotics) working on it, plus greater and greater amounts of it getting in there, plus the effects of the spears/gun.

Thanks for all the speculation on the Abbie/Daniel conversation. For the life of me I couldn't figure that out.

• Love 2
Ooooo! Turn that fury on THO, girlfriend.

And quickly, please. I really cannot take one more episode of him whinging on the couch with his godly hand tucked in his pants of power calling Pandora "selfish." I think she's FINALLY catching the Clue Bus that he never loved her. That her box was not a gift he gave his beloved equal, but more of a "hang onto this until I get back whenever, toots; it's not like you're doing anything important" scenario. She keeps trying to give him openings to go back to the way things (never, frankly) were and he keeps going "yeah, whatever, everything is your fault I'm going to go sulk over here."  

Speaking of relationships I could do without, can we please stop trying to make The Smoldering between Danny and Abbie happen? It's not going to happen. Every time these actors have a Big Scene About Their Past it's like watching two people in an elevator being forced to recite marriage vows. I really hope various posters are right and that last whackadoodle scene was Abbie saying "hey, I have fond memories of your ass, but things are different now" and Danny going thank GOD, because I've got so much on my plate playing totally different objectives with every new scene and periodically remembering I have an evil boss and honestly I really don't mind putting this one down.

I did like Sophie and Abbie's interaction; after they finally speared Wormface I wanted them to go watch Netflix and braid each other's hair. It's really nice to see a supportive and professional female friendship anywhere on TV. 

How many Oily Gentlemen Who Work For Big Bad Clients does Jenny know, for God's sake? I did like her drinking a beer at the fancy gathering when everybody else was sipping fancy cocktails, nice little character touch. 

• Love 7

I think the sappy "natural bond" whatever ending is a bit rush to judgement since, yeah ok, the pieces fit on the back of the ancient tablets with them on the front, but aren't those the same tablets that describe the witnesses as "The Destroyers"? So just because you get psychic visuals of each other from it doesn't necessarily mean <> evil?

Perhaps. But 'Destroyers' can also mean they are the Destroyers of evil. That would make the most sense IMO considering their status as witnesses. I find it interesting that their symbol was on the outside of the temple/catacombs where THO was held. When he was first awakened he mentioned to Pandora that they ( the Witnesses) "still exist to plague us." So I'm wondering if he was cast out by the witnesses into the catacombs. Pandora freed him as only a human could by opening the box of evil and unleashing it on the world?

• Love 5

On tablet and away from it all so haven't see episode but keeping track on forums. Just wanted to state Enero beat me to it about The Destroyers also meaning destroyers of evil. I might have even said that before but now I forget LOL. Misdirection. Always remember that when it comes to S3.

ETA. It also sounds like Pandora was watching "Snapped" at her pool! Good for her!

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 1

ut aren't those the same tablets that describe the witnesses as "The Destroyers"? So just because you get psychic visuals of each other from it doesn't necessarily mean <> evil?

Perhaps. But 'Destroyers' can also mean they are the Destroyers of evil. That would make the most sense IMO considering their status as witnesses.

I agree with Enero here.  They do destroy the evil monsters -- that's their job.

As to how they killed the monster: the potion Abbie made was to kill the original. They had the spears dipped in it when they went after Ol' Wormy. The spears weakened it somewhat; Ichabod helped with the gun; Abbie finished off with yet more potion on that last spear. So I think it was the combination of the early amounts of potion (antibiotics) working on it, plus greater and greater amounts of it getting in there, plus the effects of the spears/gun.

That was what I got.  The key was Abbie realizing that [a] with specific monsters, if you kill the original, you cure any people who were infected (Vampires are usually like this -- if you kill a "maker" all the ones they bit are cured) and antibiotics would kill the "worms" (meaning they were more like tapeworms than earthworms).

Edited by jhlipton
  • Love 1

I don't think it was so much a lighting choice as it appears to be chalk type markings that maybe Katrina made to ward off all evil and to denote Ichabod as a Witness in the event that someone stumbled onto the grave. I also now really wonder just what kind of "witch" powers that Abbie may in fact have. She was able to concoct that salve they used on the wilderness guide. She was also chanting or saying something when she and Sophie separated in the woods to go after the WormMonster. I was trying to figure it out but couldn't. 

I think it was brilliant to tie in the symbol from the pilot to the symbol of the Catacombs to the symbol that had Abbie so enthralled. Great work by the writers.

She was saying "quick and nimble". I believe she also said this earlier in the episode when she first went after the monster alone and when she was climbing the rock wall. I think she was reciting it as a way to focus on a difficult task i.e. climbing the wall and catching the monster. Maybe it was one of things Crane suggested in helping her get over her obsession with the symbol?

• Love 1

Late to the party and everything has pretty much been said. Still I brought my dip and expect others to taste it LOL.

I thought putting down this monster made sense. If the Dutch could contain him 200+ years prior, it stands to reason by the 21st century, the monster could be eradicated. Robbie was totally the red shirt of this episode. Since he only wore a red hat (nice touch show!), Robbie was able to make it out of the woods alive.

Agree with wanting more Crane this episode. Mison’s lack of presence could be due to scheduling, this season the show is on target with filming (they’re already done) and I know one writer spoke about losing four days filming in the catacombs due to rain. The moment the sun came out, they immediately set up shop and starting shooting. Atlanta has a lot more filming activity than Wilmington, plus they’re a major metropolitan city so tying up a location is probably more problematic. So while I missed Mison, he was used effectively. Loved his playing with the object in the scientist’s lab, the joy on Mison’s face reminded me of Crane discovering new things in S1. The crescendo of music when he took out Intestines Man was stirring too.

I knew Joe would turn into a Wendingo from the previous episode’s preview. Very nice callback. Next week, it seems THO leaves his man cave to take on Crane and afterward, pick up that beer he blames Pandora for not remembering to buy. I’m actually looking forward to this because it will be interesting to see just how well THO does on his own, since my girl apparently is always wrong in his eyes.

So Pandora was watching “Snapped” in her pool! I told you my girl would remember the days when she had control over her own box! Pandora gave THO chance after chance after chance to do right by her, but when he pooh-poohed her that last time, her eyes flashed and she was “done”. Than J/J rant was 100% about Life with a Worthless god. Pandora already told Mr. Man (Kathy Bates/Misery), The Witnesses were “useful” and, of course, he ignored her again. Pandora won’t be as foolish as him. Netlyon2 said she wanted Pandora to sing “Never Gonna Get It” with Abbie. I want the two of them to do Streisand/Summers “Enough is Enough” with Pandora angrily repeating the “enough” line while Abbie explains listening to her heart and parting from the boring Daniel Reynolds.

I’m with everyone else and hoping the Abbie/Daniel conversation was the parallel of Crane/Zoe because, like Crane/Zoe, I see no chemistry whatsoever between Abbie/Daniel. I take that back, they “do” have a chemistry - the sort of chemistry a couple has when everyone thinks you’re so perfect together but deep inside, you want to scream. When things get too close, Abbie ups and leaves the little cabin. Danny, buys the Kool-Aid a bit more but is angry about it. I’m with snookums in wanting that conversation to be about Abbie telling Reynolds “It’s been real, but -“ with Reynolds thinking “Thank God!” as she leaves and pulls out the number of that woman he really wanted to date.

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 3