Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E12: Into the Schwarzwald

Captain Renard joins Hank and Wu to track down a deadly assassin who has thrown Portland into havoc. Little do they know, Eve is on a hunt of her own for the very same man. Rosalee is taken aback when someone from her past tracks her down. Meanwhile, a new chapter in history begins as Nick and Monroe find a treasure in Germany that has been hidden for centuries, on the 100th episode of Grimm.

I was very surprised we got to see what was in the box.  I expected "to be continued..." to appear magically on my TV screen.

The Renard campaign poster?  I don't think I've ever burst out laughing so loud & so long at a TV show.  AND it doesn't even look like him.  Sheesh.

• Love 11

I think the "stick" is the Holy Grail, a part of the true cross. Putting it simply, the Crusades were about protecting Christianity, and rumors of the Holy Grail being found by the Crusaders have been around forever, so why not? To me that makes more sense than being from the Tree of Knowledge.

I haven't participated here in quite a while, but I do check in.

• Love 11

So the Scooby gang found Harry Potter's magic wand.  Interesting.  This episode was very action packed.   Adalind might have her powers back, or is it coming from someone else?  Baby Kelly, perhaps?

• Love 6

My sexy pants Renard brought out his "biest" tonight! ...and he figured out the PR chick set Dixon up to be killed.  I swear, if sexy pants continues sleeping with the PR chick, I may have to put him in a corner!   

Meisner and Renard were hot stuff in their confrontation.  However, I was so on Renard's side, because Meisner could have clued him in months ago about BC and their nefarious plans.

Adalind seemed to clutch her stomach at the Spice Shop and I think she is either pregnant again or having sex with Nik activated her hexenbiest powers.

• Love 3

So the big reveal in the box is a magic stick. Apparently it has healing powers and good thing because Monroe was saved. Loved the snarky remarks Wu was making.

I'm glad Adalind at least got her powers back enough to get rid of Rosalie's ex. Rosalie took a vicious punch to the face, I'm surprised she didn't even have a bruise.

I hope Renard doesn't go along with the Black Claw's. Or if he does I hope it's all an act to bring them down.

• Love 4

All I could think of was "Mr. Pointy." But I do think the stick is supposed to be a part of the true cross, which has been bone of contention for centuries, and might have magical healing powers, if you believe in that sort of thing. (and on this show, you would certainly be wise to) 

It's funny, from the moment Monroe got bitten I assumed that it was going to be a thing..something that would wreak havoc for several episodes. So I was very surprised when it was suddenly healed. Useful stick to keep around, I would think.

This was quite a suspenseful episode. I kept expecting Nick and Monroe to get caught, especially when they were yelling down in the catacombs, but Nick's idea (or was it Monroe's..I didn't catch who was speaking) of flattening one tire on each car was brilliant. And I was really shocked when they made it home with box in tow....and opened it, all in one episode! I would have bet any money that they were going to open the box and the episode would end with them admiring the glow a la Pulp Fiction.

Of course, for every Yin (finding Mr. Pointy) there is a Yang (Adalind hexenbiesting again) I wonder if Mr. Pointy can help. Of course, first we have to endure several episodes of her hiding her little "problem" from Nick, like Juliette did. sigh.

Also can't forget Reynard watching that tape and putting 2 and 2 together. But, please, Powers That Be,  don't make us watch him run for Mayor..on the Black Claw ticket, no less. 

Still, it was a very fun and suspenseful episode.

Edited to add: I think that Adalind clutching her stomach was intended to be shorthand for "I'm getting my powers back."

Edited by Jodithgrace
  • Love 5

So the big reveal in the box is a magic stick. Apparently it has healing powers and good thing because Monroe was saved. Loved the snarky remarks Wu was making.

I'm glad Adalind at least got her powers back enough to get rid of Rosalie's ex. Rosalie took a vicious punch to the face, I'm surprised she didn't even have a bruise.

I hope Renard doesn't go along with the Black Claw's. Or if he does I hope it's all an act to bring them down.

I think Renard will be undercover to bring down BC after his confrontation with Meisner.

• Love 4

They had to go there with Adalind, didn't they? Last episode was bad enough, but now 'she's back'.  I'm assuming sex with a Grimm brought her powers back, since a Grimm's blood took them away at least once. 

Renard will be tempted to take Black Claw's offer. We've seen in the past that his greatest desire is to be a leader, a 'Royal'.  Hopefully he can resist temptation. 

Loved Wu's reaction to Renards' take-down of the bad guy.  Was that the first time he had seen Renard in full Vesen mode?

Why are the European Vesen so much tougher than the USA ones in that they are perfectly happy to hunt a Grimm?

Wasn't the Renard poster a take off on the Obama campaign poster?

Looked like it.

I only tuned in because I've been waiting for this key reveal forever. I spent the entire box opening scene checking the clock because I expected a fake out (to be continued or can't open the box). Happy that they revealed the magic healing stick even if I had trouble getting over the fact that it's a stick.

As for the rest, I swear Bitsie's acting has gotten worse.

Mayor Renard had me laughing but I was also really disappointed to find out that Rebard wasn't working with Meinser to find the contacts. Maybe he'll go to Meister later?

Honestly as someone who hasn't watched regularly I found the whole super spy aspects very jarring. It really jus seemed out of place with the Grimmer story I'm familiar with.

• Love 3

Renard woged in front of Wu and Billy in his office during the episode that brought back the special snowflake.

Looked like it.

I only tuned in because I've been waiting for this key reveal forever. I spent the entire box opening scene checking the clock because I expected a fake out (to be continued or can't open the box). Happy that they revealed the magic healing stick even if I had trouble getting over the fact that it's a stick.

As for the rest, I swear Bitsie's acting has gotten worse.

Mayor Renard had me laughing but I was also really disappointed to find out that Rebard wasn't working with Meinser to find the contacts. Maybe he'll go to Meister later?

Honestly as someone who hasn't watched regularly I found the whole super spy aspects very jarring. It really jus seemed out of place with the Grimmer story I'm familiar with.

I don't understand why Meisner is not working with Renard now that he knows Nick is a Grimm.  Truble works with Nick and the gang, but Meisner acts like he never met Renard!

• Love 1

I really enjoyed the episode it was suspenseful and funny. The whole bit with the stick reveal and various comments around said stick had me chuckling.  Also what I took away was that the stick gave the Grimm the ability to heal from any Wesen wound.  So it essentially gives Nick a much needed edge if he ever gets in a fight.

I saw a spark of the old Adalind in that last conversation with Rosalee, once she got over her vapors.  Personally I think she would want her powers back, how can she protect Kelly as a human when he is sure to be a target once Black Claw realizes the grimm has a son. I am also not a fan of "My beist made me do bad things" and I say  that as a  fan of Adalind. It would be a better sell if she wanted to be a better person for her children, she chose to try the suppressant on herself while she still had her beist.  I'm glad she got her powers back, the suppressant was always meant to be temporary and whatever issues Nick may have with hexenbeists will have to be handled since his son may be a zauberbeist.

Some really great Renard action tonight, loved that they made him realize the redhead was in on it, although I don't think he will be undercover. Renard has always craved power and I see him actually going along with the plan until later in the season when he comes to his senses. Black claw probably doesn't know of his connection to Nick and the gang.

Monroe was awesome as always and I don't think that is the last of Rosalee's blast from the past.

Edited by bluvelvet
  • Love 2

I really enjoyed the episode it was suspenseful and funny. The whole bit with the stick reveal and various comments around said stick had me chuckling.  Also what I took away was that the stick gave the Grimm the ability to heal from any Wesen wound.  So it essentially gives Nick a much needed edge if he ever gets in a fight.

I saw a spark of the old Adalind in that last conversation with Rosalee, once she got over her vapors.  Personally I think she would want her powers back, how can she protect Kelly as a human when he is sure to be a target one Black Claw realizes the grimm has a son. I am also not a fan of "My beist made me do bad things" and I say  that as a  fan of Adalind. It would be a better sell if she wanted to be a better person for her children, she chose to try the suppressant on herself while she still had her beist.  I'm glad she got her powers back, the suppressant was always meant to be temporary and whatever issues Nick may have with hexenbeists will have to be handled since his son may be a zauberbeist.

Some really great Renard action tonight, loved that they made him realize the redhead was in on it, although I don't think he will be undercover. Renard has always craved power and I see him actually going along with the plan until later in the season when he comes to his senses. Black claw probably doesn't know of his connection to Nick and the gang.

Monroe was awesome as always and I don't think that is the last of Rosalee's blast from the past.

The guy with the poster worked with Billy when they tried to kill Monroe, Hank, Wu, Renard and Nick at the old abandoned building where the special snowflake made her debut.  Renard woged in his office in front of Billy, Wu, Nick and Hank.

The guy with the poster worked with Billy when they tried to kill Monroe, Hank, Wu, Renard and Nick at the old abandoned building where the special snowflake made her debut.  Renard woged in his office in front of Billy, Wu, Nick and Hank.

Goes to show how much attention I have been paying, didn't recall that.  I also couldn't figure out who called Renard with the tip, for a second I thought it was Meisner and had to rewind to realize it wasn't him.

Goes to show how much attention I have been paying, didn't recall that.  I also couldn't figure out who called Renard with the tip, for a second I thought it was Meisner and had to rewind to realize it wasn't him.

Bailey Chase is the actor with the Renard poster and the one that called in the tip.  Bailey's character is with BC and works with Billy.  The episode with the special not dead snowflake is where Rosalie talks about Billy and the Bailey Chase character.

Ahahahahahahahahahaheeeee!

Adalind is getting or got her powers back! That's great! I'm guessing it's probably because of the dirty deed. I can't wait till Nick finds out but if it ends up being a "Me, you, & Kelly will get through this" thing, I'll pull my freaking hair out!

For some reason, I knew when Monroe got bit there was going to be a problem, mainly because he kept complaining it hurt him. I thought it may have been some kind of venom. But lucky for him, they had the stick. I've already decided, if Rosalee or Monroe gets killed off, I'm done watching this show.

Speaking of Monroe, I want that guy from her past to go back to the Spice Shop & smack Rosalee when Monroe is around. Monroe will rip his arms off.

When they opened that box, I had no idea what the hell they were going to find. I was really hoping it wasn't something stupid! It wasn't though. I'm anxious to find out what the cloth says- but they better be careful who they ask to read it.

Am I the only one who still finds Renard attractive when he woges? Maybe if I was face to face with him I wouldn't think that- but when he woges & fights, he just looks so strong. Anywho, I don't like this black claw guy (or Riley's friend/initiative guy from Buffy) & I don't trust him. I don't understand why he'd join them, they already gave him his advantage. If he wants to run now, he can do it himself & probably win. I really hope he refuses them.

This wasn't a bad episode, I was pleasantly surprised.

The box opening reminded me of 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' and the bad guys opening the Ark. All for... a piece of wood. With magical properties. It still seemed a little too easy. That church has been there for centuries, and no one took out the skulls and discovered the box? I suppose the logistics of taking an archaeological find/antiquity out of Germany did not apply. Perhaps Nick said he had a storage unit somewhere in Stuttgart. Flattening one tire on each vehicle was clever - I can keep that in mind for future reference.

Part of me felt a bit sorry for Adalind getting her powers back, but somewhere deep down, she has missed her biest.

Renard is very power-hungry. Maybe he'll play along with Black Claw, maybe he can be seduced by the glory of being a Mayor! Black Claw maybe should have targeted Seattle and Microsoft. Or the good folks at Google. But I digress.

Rosalee's friend deserved what he got. Doubt we've seen the last of him.

Now what will Nick and the Scooby Gang do with the box and the stick?

• Love 4

I think the "stick" is the Holy Grail, a part of the true cross. Putting it simply, the Crusades were about protecting Christianity, and rumors of the Holy Grail being found by the Crusaders have been around forever, so why not? To me that makes more sense than being from the Tree of Knowledge.

I would say it's part of the true cross since the Grail was supposed to be the cup Jesus used at the Last Supper.

I'm hoping too that Capt. Foxy is going to infiltrate the Black Claws.

• Love 5

I was amused by the scene at the end when Meisner goes and yells at Renard. They go back and forth with "you should've told me . . .", "I didn't know you would do that", etc., and Meisner finally concludes "this worked out badly for both of us" -- which I read as acknowledgement that for a couple of guys who spend an inordinate amount of time on phones/computer screens, they kind of suck at communicating actual information.

[On the shallow end of the pool, while I was pleased that Meisner finally got to leave the building, I think he's a lot hotter when seen in daylight . . . preferably with snow falling in his hair.]

I don't want to think about the embarasment that is the whole Adalind plot, but can someone remind me: do we know for sure that Nick's blood, or Trubel's, can't un-biest her again?

• Love 5

I was amused by the scene at the end when Meisner goes and yells at Renard. They go back and forth with "you should've told me . . .", "I didn't know you would do that", etc., and Meisner finally concludes "this worked out badly for both of us" -- which I read as acknowledgement that for a couple of guys who spend an inordinate amount of time on phones/computer screens, they kind of suck at communicating actual information.

[On the shallow end of the pool, while I was pleased that Meisner finally got to leave the building, I think he's a lot hotter when seen in daylight . . . preferably with snow falling in his hair.]

I don't want to think about the embarasment that is the whole Adalind plot, but can someone remind me: do we know for sure that Nick's blood, or Trubel's, can't un-biest her again?

Lawd!  The scene with Renard and Meisner was, hot!  My sexy pants Renard, roar.   Hee, hee.  Meisner was acting all manly and hot.  It's a good thing I'm already in menopause, and my ovaries are...well...eh.  Sexy hot men!

• Love 2

Great episode. My favorite part was the Nick and Monroe adventure. Adalind getting her powers back is only going to make her storyline more interesting. I'm not feeling the Renard storyline, what direction are they going to take that exactly?

So we finally know what the treasure is that the keys led to. How does it work and can only Grimms use its power?

Edited by icewolf
  • Love 1

One of the better episodes of the season. I also was surprised we got answers this episode. My teen son was overly focused on how Nick and Monroe we're going to get that old box on a plane home.

And even before I could noodle through what the stick was, my son had it pegged as part of the true cross. And that the language is Hebrew. Although I think during that time period, it may have been Aramic.

I'm not sure if Adalind is playing a long con and perhaps slept with Nick specifically to get her powers back. Claire seemed to be playing it like she truly was fearful of regaining her powers. Even when she was alone she didn't look happy.

• Love 2

LittleIggy: I know that many people for many years have thought the Holy Grail was the cup used by Jesus at the last supper, but I have heard alternate theories, I can't explain all of them or where exactly I heard what. I watch a lot of documentaries and fake documentaries and lots of conspiracy shows, so I don't know that the Grail is a cup. I don't think we will ever know. I also think that for this show, that the show seems to be mixing things from legends, from the Bible, from fairy tales and where ever else they can make things up. So mostly I just go with it. But I do think in the case of the stick in a box from tonight's episode, they are going with it being from the true cross. 

And I enjoyed the show tonight. I don't know how I feel about Adalind, I don't really trust her. In the early days I was a Juliette/Nick supporter because I liked the idea of the hero having a strong, healthy relationship. Her acting didn't particularly bother me as it does others. I do like that the cast is pretty stable except for whatever Wessen comes along.

Monroe: “They wouldn’t have buried a stick. Unless they were some kind of dog Wesen.” HA!

All I could think of was "Mr. Pointy." 

That was exactly my thought too, & then it was that Grimm was going to kill vampires.

I thought this episode was too disjointed with everyone doing different thing & I find all the Meisner/Eve "spy" scenes to be ridiculous. Was the whole thing with Rosalee's ex just to show us Adalind was getting her powers back? Then they spent too much time on it. I just wish they would move on from this whole Black Claw thing, I'm not enjoying it.

• Love 2

What's in the box?!  Well, it turns out it's a long lost wand from Hogwarts!  OK, not really, but I totally loved how flummoxed everyone was when it was just a stick, and all the wisecracks and remarks about it (especially Wu admitting that his "Stickmada" was a reach.  It happens to best, Wu!)  But it actually has healing powers, apparently.  Interesting....

So, this is what Renard's story is all about.  The candidate was always attended to die, because the Black Claw wanted Renard to find and kill the killer, and be the new mayoral candidate, because they think he'll be down with them.  Even already had a poster prepared for him and everything! (and of course it was similar to the ones Obama had.)  I'm guessing Renard attends to go undercover for now, but I do wonder if their is a chance he might end up being corrupted by the power.

Sure looks like Adalind is becoming a hexenbiest again, unless it was somehow Baby Kelly all along.  But I'm guessing sleeping with Nick could have caused it.  I'm sure this is going to be a little hurdle for her perfect family with Nick.

I normally like Meisner, but it really did feel like a lot of his complaints would have been solved if he just talked to Renard.  Renard's not a mind-reader: how was he suppose to know that Meisner and Eve were trying to track the sniper?  A quick text would solve everything, Meisner.

Despite the brief scare at the end, Nick and Monroe's adventures in Germany was fun, and I hope to see more of them together.  I like the rest of the cast and their interactions, but those two together gives the show a more old-school feel. 

• Love 3

This was an action packed episode, yes but I felt that the Spice Shop scene was the weakess part. That being said, I am glad that they have at least answered what the Keys do. Although, a magic stick wasn't what I was expecting, but at least it healed Monroe. 

Wasn't the Renard poster a take off on the Obama campaign poster?

Yeah, it was a knock-off of Shepard Fairey's Hope poster. IMO, it was hilariously funny to see that, but it was still just a knock-off. 

Both her and Nick not realizing that their sexytimes might bring back her powers was foolish. I mean, look at what happened all of the other times they've exchanged bodily fluid of one kind or another, right?

Right, and now that she is hexened again, their future close encounters will de-Grimm Nick again, and Nick the detective was never considering that, either, that she might be re-hexening unbeknownst to him.

I also wondered how that box and an injured, bleeding man were going to get through security.  My experience in Europe last summer was that they question you closely at several junctures. The tire flattening was a good idea, though you can drive a car pretty far on a flat tire -- ruining the wheel, but they wouldn't care. 

It occurred to me that the Spice Shop isn't the safest place for baby Kelly, since it is frequented by Wesen. 

The whole convoluted deal with Marwan being the cause of terror around the globe coming to Portland to kill a candidate, then being killed by the person BC really wanted to run, well, it was just comic book-ish to me. 

Despite my nitpicks, I found this entertaining, especially the heavy doses of Nick and Monroe. 

Lots of leaps of intuition that were necessary to move the story forward, but required some serious suspension of disbelief. Like when Nick somehow knew that turning out their lights would reveal a clue, and when he recognized that the oddly arranged skulls were laid out in a "G" for Grimm and facing something important behind them, and when someone figured out that Grimm blood would be the key to unsealing the 800-year-old magic superglue on the box. But the one that made me laugh out loud was when Eve watched the little red dot wiggling on the screen and said in total seriousness, "Now they're fighting."

• Love 2

Yes the red dot was interesting, how did she know he was fighting not having a seizure from his head injury or maybe he was just wiggling around for the hell of it. I was glad they had Hank acknowledge that he wouldn't have recognized the guy if he didn't run. The assassin basically gave himself away although I wonder if he didn't run did black claw really have someone coming for him since they set him up.

I didn't think it was too far fetched the way Nick and Monroe figured out where the box was hidden, the dialogue gave a logical progression to their thought process.

Funny enough as much as I disliked Juliette, I'm not minding Eve so much..I think this is a better role for her actually.

Adalind can only keep her secret for so long, Rosalee saw it so Nick will find out. I am also pretty sure Rosalee will tell Monroe. Also if Adalind has her biest back can she sense if Kelly also has one? When she initially lost her powers her mother knew "it" was gone as soon as she came home. Then again I don't know when hexen/zauberbiest manifest their powers so maybe Kelly is too young.

Right, and now that she is hexened again, their future close encounters will de-Grimm Nick again, and Nick the detective was never considering that, either, that she might be re-hexening unbeknownst to him.

I also wondered how that box and an injured, bleeding man were going to get through security.  My experience in Europe last summer was that they question you closely at several junctures. The tire flattening was a good idea, though you can drive a car pretty far on a flat tire -- ruining the wheel, but they wouldn't care. 

I thought it funny that the car seemed to be a BMW, which at least in the US, are sold with "run flat" tires, which don't physically flatten when punctured, and can be driven for quite a long distance when flat.

While it makes sense that the piece of wood would be something like a piece of the True Cross, I would find it interesting (and sort of doubt) that a network show will start attributing miraculous properties to such a core Christian icon and be seen as promoting religion.

• Love 2

Bailey Chase is the actor with the Renard poster and the one that called in the tip.

A quick look-up tells me his name is Lucien. And it's too bad he's one of the bad guys because he's kind of hot.

So I hope this stick does more than just heal people because otherwise? We spent five years waiting for them to discover this mysterious treasure that was presumably so valuable every royal family was desperate to get at it. Magical healing powers aren't quite living up to the build up this thing got.

Obviously I was hoping it would turn out Renard was behind Black Claw all along so I'm disappointed and losing interest. 

Adalind already said the effects of the suppression potion would be temporary so I don't get all the agonizing like she didn't know this would happen. And they need to explain why Nick's blood can't simply de-power her again like it did the last time, especially since they mentioned that very thing in this episode.

• Love 3

I'm worried about side effects or additional properties of the healing stick.  They would have locked it up, printed a map on 7 keys,, split it all up, etc if all it did was heal.  Maybe it is a magic wand does what the holder wants?  I'm sure Nick was hoping Monroe wasn't sick.  Or maybe the healing comes with price (yes, that's OUAT, but you never know).

• Love 1

The actor playing Tony the drug user was great. They could have slightly wordsmithed his lines for better realism but they had to edit it down (e.g. he shouldn't have flipped out and broken things immediately, but he needed to for the story). I liked the line "well, Carlos is dead now!.  JJ's in Boise and Byrd's in jail. I have no one else to turn to"  (She should totally get him a Greyhound ticket to Boise to stay with JJ. Likewise, the church wesen chasing them in the woods didn't have enough time in the episode to seem relevant but they had to include them to give them a reason to return to Portland quickly or have a sense of adventure. Also, why would the two men by the autos run towards the top of the hill to help when Monroe calls that everyone is getting injured and defeated by the Grimm.

I like the Renard plot (what side will he pick, because he has a weakness for seizing power, but also became a police captain because he likes to keep order and he also doesn't like his royal relatives yielding power badly).   The Meisner character is like a crossover into marvel comics superhero territory so you can start to ponder whose skills and traits will rival the others.

So far, we know that Chavez the steinadler who was in charge of the secret government unit left him probably second in command (although maybe some of the nonspeaking actors in the background also are in leadership, but just are focusing on wesen activity elsewhere on the map). We don't know why he was picked... if he is just a highly effective person, or has some unknown skills or traits still.

But consider, we have seen that Chavez and Meisner have a demonstrated technique for putting hexenbiests under mind control (perhaps using what they learned from MK Ultra experiments, or perhaps magic is involved http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2008962_2008964_2008992,00.html). This is shown by the way that Juliette is so fully inline with their program and can be trusted to walk around outside and use her imagination to solve problems. Oh, I liked how Marwan uses a blackberry style phone because that is what I have-good for writing long emails. Why were Juliette's pupils disappearing or going blue when she was causing the bicyclist to lose control?

Now, when they clearly set up a situation where Meisner could have a future conflict with Captain Renard, or he could have a disagreement with Trubel over her assignments and communications - that means that Meisner would have the potential of putting Renard under control too if he really needed to, and he could grab him into a steel cell or whatever technique they're doing underground. But what does Meisner want? A paycheck? To establish traditional order in the world.

Except, I'm starting to think that a zauberbiest/warlock (who rarely woges) is what Meisner could be. It could explain why Renard originally knew him. And the royals killed Meisner's family and we know Renard's father is attracted to hexenbiests but the rest of the family wanted to kill her. Chavez could have recruited him for this reason. Also, Meisner is good at fighting, and we can see that Renard is better at fighting than many wesen when he's motivated because he easily beat Marwan- so maybe zauberbiests are talented at that.

Edited by ottilie
  • Love 1

I forgot to mention I am not feeling Adalind's sadness that she's getting her powers back.  I think she sincerely feels bad, but I'm not buying it story-wise.  She feels all icky and just wants to be a nerdy lawyer--well, she did a lot of gross things when she was not a hexenbiest before.  And wanted badly to re-hexen herself.  I know people change, but this just feels too retconny to me.  It seems like they're saying she was not fully responsible for all the stuff she did before, it really wasn't the real her.  You know, like where they are probably heading with Juliette. 

• Love 3

I am sure that it's not Adalind with powers, but the Zaubergrimm baby. She was a hexenbeist when she got pregnant, so why wouldn't it be passed on? Kelly was protecting mama from the whatever-the-hell-that-guy-was.

I really didn't believe Adalind's fear over her powers. Claire Coffee just didn't sell it for me. I believe her much more when she's acting as a villain.

And if she's so worried, why doesn't she tell Nick, get some of that patented Grimm blood and get rid of her powers like before?

ETA: Just realized Bailey Chase is the actor that played the guy that shot Garcia on Criminal Minds. He looked so familiar and it was driving me nuts!

Edited by arieswriting
  • Love 2

I'm worried about side effects or additional properties of the healing stick.  They would have locked it up, printed a map on 7 keys,, split it all up, etc if all it did was heal. 

Maybe it heals everything? All diseases, injuries, & maybe "heals" death?

• Love 2

I forgot to mention I am not feeling Adalind's sadness that she's getting her powers back.  I think she sincerely feels bad, but I'm not buying it story-wise.  She feels all icky and just wants to be a nerdy lawyer--well, she did a lot of gross things when she was not a hexenbiest before.  And wanted badly to re-hexen herself.  I know people change, but this just feels too retconny to me.  It seems like they're saying she was not fully responsible for all the stuff she did before, it really wasn't the real her.  You know, like where they are probably heading with Juliette. 

Replying in the everything wrong thread...

Monroe: “They wouldn’t have buried a stick. Unless they were some kind of dog Wesen.” HA!

I loved that. Liked Wu's "stickmada" comment, too. Words are fun.

If Meisner can control hexenbiests (like "Eve") then I wonder if they could send Adalind to him for "rehab"-- and whether he would want to fuck her vs tame her. I think Meisner has been wasted in his role as bureaucrat just like Claire Coffee has been wasted in her role as Mild Mannered De-fanged Mama.

I thought the stick looked like a stake. I don't know if Jesus was nailed with metal nails or wooden pegs, but my initial reaction was that it was used to affix Jesus to the cross, and got its healing powers from contact with his blood. This show is big on blood being powerful. I'm not Christian by birth or by belief, but I think since they found the artifact in a church and it was put there during the Crusades, that "the keeping it non-xtian" ship can have legitimately be expected to have sailed. I'm OK with it, as long as it's only one of many powers in the world. Since the show has leaned heavily on European and Christian tropes, but not exclusively on them, this development can pass my "don't proselytize me" filters. They've at other times given equal respect/revision to stories and powers from other cultures and traditions. And there has been ample tension between Our Heroes and formal Christianity, that I think they are covered against any inference that they might be trying to hang their hat on orthodoxy. It's just as likely that the show would be condemned by believers as praised.

They could also hedge, and just not ever say where the healing power comes from, or what the origin of the "stick" is. It does look to me like it was carved and shaped, though, not just a random splinter broken off a larger piece of wood.

Heck, it could be from the Druids. It could be totally pagan. Assuming it gets its power from Christ makes sense given that it's in a Church. But it could also be that it was hidden there because that was the best way to protect it FROM the Church of the time. Lots of times, underground movements have used the Church as cover-- everything from Orisha religions to Jewish conversos to Harriet Tubman have done this. In the European era under discussion, when all the political power is the Church, you can plant double agents in it more easily than you can openly oppose it, so anything is possible.

I was surprised Rosalee wanted to bring Monroe to the hospital for a Wesen bite, instead of using her herbal medicines.

• Love 2

LittleIggy: I know that many people for many years have thought the Holy Grail was the cup used by Jesus at the last supper, but I have heard alternate theories, I can't explain all of them or where exactly I heard what. I watch a lot of documentaries and fake documentaries and lots of conspiracy shows, so I don't know that the Grail is a cup. I don't think we will ever know. I also think that for this show, that the show seems to be mixing things from legends, from the Bible, from fairy tales and where ever else they can make things up. So mostly I just go with it. But I do think in the case of the stick in a box from tonight's episode, they are going with it being from the true cross. 

I have read as many of the medieval Arthurian stories involving the Holy Grail ("Parsifal" and the stories of Chretien de Troyes, for example) that I could get my hands on, and the Grail was always the cup or in some cases a platter used at the Last Supper.

• Love 1

I'm worried about side effects or additional properties of the healing stick.  They would have locked it up, printed a map on 7 keys,, split it all up, etc if all it did was heal.  Maybe it is a magic wand does what the holder wants?  I'm sure Nick was hoping Monroe wasn't sick.  Or maybe the healing comes with price (yes, that's OUAT, but you never know).

Maybe it "heals" de-powered hexenbeists?

Although I assumed when Adalind clutched her lower abdomen as her powers were activating that it was an embryo/fetus inside her causing her powers to activate. And I thought: Pregnant again??!?

• Love 2

Maybe it "heals" de-powered hexenbeists?

Although I assumed when Adalind clutched her lower abdomen as her powers were activating that it was an embryo/fetus inside her causing her powers to activate. And I thought: Pregnant again??!?

My speculation is that he schtick (sorry, can't resist) will come into some sort of hexenbiest play late in the season.  Or, it might not be mentioned ever again  (You know, they'll explain it in the 200th episode!)

I haven't watched this ep, but I'm guessing Adalind clutching her abdomen is to echo what Juliette went through after her magic sex with Nick.  I would seriously hope that they wouldn't bring yet another baby onto the show...but then Kouf, Greenwalt, and Carpenter seem to have a baby fetish, so who knows....

• Love 2

Nice to see Meisner and Renard resume their fiery bromance. As much as I like Martin he was in the wrong for leaving Renard out of the loop about Marwan. I agree that saddling him with this task force manager role isn't great for him. Unless this was a pet project of his late beloved that he felt he had to see through, I'm still of the mind that he should've grabbed Adalind at the end of last season, reunited her with Diana and they run off into the sunset.

Renard being recruited by Black Claw makes me hope they're touching back to Sean's S1 aspirations of powerful possibly not completely benevolent leader of the people. Sure, he could just be infiltrating to ultimately take them down, but Sean was introduced to us as an antagonist to Nick with his own nefarious agenda until they eased back on him to allow for his continued show viability. Now that we're at 100 episodes, the show's endgame is in sight and they may be swerving back to Sean fulfilling his original darker role with him and Nick finally coming at cross purposes to have to do battle.

There are so many animal-like Wesen, maybe the stick is a piece of Noah's Ark.

Or possibly it's the stylus used by Gilgamesh, the first Grimm, to inscribe the cuneiform tablets that document the first Wesen, Enkidu.

Edited by jbrecken
  • Love 3