Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E18: Cheddar

• Start Topic

Holt allows Amy and Jake to house-sit for him while he visits Kevin in Paris, but mayhem ensues when Holt’s beloved dog, Cheddar, goes missing under their watch. Meanwhile, a romantic fling between Adrian Pimento and Rosa disrupts Terry and the rest of the precinct.

Clearly the most important case the Nine-Nine ever had to deal with!  I mean, sure, criminals and bringing them for justice, but Cheddar?!  Missing?!  Nooooo!

The only thing less surprising then Amy wanting to have her honeymoon at Holt and Kevin's house, is her almost orgasmic reaction to "The Binder."  Amy loves herself some binders!  As usual, Melissa Fumero continues to be one of my favorites.

Gina would go to extreme measures to delay Holt, even though I'm sure there would have been easier, more effective means to do so.  And, of course, Holt would see the precinct as his house and dressed in his own clothes, and automatically figure out that Cheddar is missing.  His deduction skills are second to none!

Major props to Joe Lo Truglio for holding that possum for however long he did.  I mean, I'm guessing it had some kind of stage training, but that was still a disturbing sight to behold.

I guess Pimento is officially Rosa's new love interest for now.  Still not wild about him, but their brand of "flirting" was amusing, especially since Terry's reactions were the best.  Terry Crews is a national treasure.

I do hope Holt and Kevin work things out, because I'm totally with Jake that they are an awesome couple.  I did love that sincere moment from Jake at the end.  Again, he's a goofball a lot of times, but he does truly care about his friends and co-workers.

• Love 6
Major props to Joe Lo Truglio for holding that possum for however long he did.  I mean, I'm guessing it had some kind of stage training, but that was still a disturbing sight to behold.

His long reaction shot after learning he was holding the possum was possibly my favorite moment of the episode.

• Love 3

I will be highly upset if Holt and Kevin break up.

Again, this show is able to take the sitcom cliche of ruining/losing another character's things and makes it fresh.

I would be nervous for the world if Leslie Knope and Amy ever came together to discuss binders.  I don't think we could handle it.

• Love 9

This episode made me laugh out loud a lot.  Terry was killing me with his reactions to Rosa. Jake was wonderful throughout. Everybody played off of each other perfectly.  And on top of all that, it was peppered with genuine emotion. Such a good show...

• Love 7

Amy Santiago is just the best thing ever. Loved her wish for "old expensive books" and freaking out about not being ready to look after a dog. And then her excitement over the big binder full of rules. She's such a dork, in the best possible way.

Why was Boyle pretending to be blind? The blind gags really weren't very funny, except for the possum one, with Jake and Amy's terrified reactions. The possum was a good actor as well. He froze with a very real, 'dammit, rumbled!' expression on his face when Jake said "dammit, Charles, it's a possum!" It was amusing that he establishes that the dog is the alpha.

The show always manages to hit emotional beats well, in between the laughs, and seeing Holt so unsure about things with Kevin was very effective. But they need to get Marc Evan Jackson back soon. Funny guest stars are great, unfunny ones are terrible.

I skipped most of the scenes with Pimento, but from the little bits I saw, he's exactly like Rafi from The League. Great range there, Mantzoukas. I'm not interested in seeing him.

This season really has hit a fallow patch recently, with the episode about Hitchcock and Scully and then two with Pimento.

I love that Jake accepts Amy's dorkiness and encourages it, like when she pretended she wanted a sports car and he told her to be honest and she admitted she really wanted old books. You know you have found the right person when they love you because of your quirks, not despite them.

I also love Holt and Kevin so I hope they are able to patch things up. Totally loved that as soon as Holt saw everyone wearing his clothes, he immediately figured out that they had lost Cheddar.

Gina can be a bit much (which I know is an understatement for some of you), but she was used perfectly in this episode, doing her Gina-ness to stall Holt's return to the house. If anyone else had been given that assignment, he would have seen right through it but with Gina, that's normal behavior.

I'm not a huge Pimento fan, but I laughed when he used the whole puncher and grunted because it was just so wrong yet so funny.

Boyle with the opossum was both terrifying and hilarious.

• Love 4
Why was Boyle pretending to be blind?

I don't think he was pretending to be blind - he'd had Lasik that day and was in recovery. What I'm not sure of is whether that's medically accurate...I thought you actually could start to see fairly well very soon after Lasik.

Pimento and Rosa are totally creepy yet hilarious. I don't know how the show pulled that off. Very possible Terry is the magic ingredient.

• Love 5

I loved all the little inserts of The Adventures of Cheddar!

Oh, and when Jake calls the meeting, he has a chess game laid out on what's left of the table.

I can't really get into the whole Rosa /Adrian thing - I mean, it was funny (especially when Terry told her that a sex offender wanted them to cool it), but Adrian kind of skeeves me out. I'm like, "you can do better, Rosa!"

For once, Gina made me laugh: "Bitch, I told you I was gonna wreck it!"

• Love 4

I hope they address Amy's crippling dog allergy.

When Jake first walked in and she was struggling to get the sweater away from Cheddar you could see that her eyes were red and puffy, But aside from that there was no mention of it. 

My favorite part was Terry's facial expression when Pimento said Rosa was so in touch with her feelings. LOL.

• Love 3

There was a great line about a Corgi's top speed.

And the hacky sack guys recognizing Jake.

Why can't Kevin come back to Holt and Cheddar for a weekend?  And who really believes that the two of them would name their dog after such a prosaic cheese?  I'd expect Cheshire or Wensleydale, or better yet some strange exotic Welsh cheese name.  

• Love 6
(edited)

Oh my god, I both yelled and was laughing at Charles holding the possum!

LOVED the bits with Jake calling Cheddar a "slippery bastard" and cutting to the dog out there being super adorable.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 5

And Jake accepting that, all, "Yeah, yeah, you did."

That was a great little exchange.

• Love 3
(edited)

And who really believes that the two of them would name their dog after such a prosaic cheese?  I'd expect Cheshire or Wensleydale, or better yet some strange exotic Welsh cheese name.  

Actually, Cheddar would seem like the perfect compromise between Kevin who probably did want to go for a Wensleydale and Holt, who given his complete disregard for food as a source of enjoyment, probably didn't like the idea at all.

Plus, it's a pretty cute name for a Corgi, but not too cute.

Edited by JTMacc99

I wasn't that thrilled with Pimento in the previous episode, but man am I into his and Rosa's strange sexual tension. I also loved Jake's sincere moment at the end, and basically everything about this episode. I really hope Holt and Kevin resolve their issues (maybe by Kevin coming home from Paris?). Jake's right, they really are the best couple. I also really love how perfect Jake and Amy are for each other. TL;DR I love this show.

• Love 3

Now I want a little story about how Cheddar got his name.

I loved all the little inserts of The Adventures of Cheddar!

Strolling down the street, wandering thru a playground, licking an ice cream cone... So cute. The music that accompanied those shots was great, too.

Oh, and when Jake calls the meeting, he has a chess game laid out on what's left of the table.

I noticed that, but I didn't see if a game had been set up before Charles fell on the table. If so, then I suspect the game Jake set up was terrible.

I enjoyed this ep. Rosa and Pimento was too funny. And gross. But funny. I did not expect Pimento's freakout when she dropped the flirting and became real.

Terry's reactions, particularly the first one -- "What the hell? -- were fantastic.

Pimento: After what I've seen, after what I've done… I don't know if I deserve to be happy.

Terry: Of course you do!
Pimento: Huh! I never looked at it that way. That changes everything!

Terry: A convicted pervert asked me if you guys could cool it.

I kind of think it's ridiculous for the squad to be depleted so often for these kinds of things, but this is not the show to be critical about realism.

Loved Jake's use of "Pshaw." My phrase happens to be "Pish posh."

Amy: There's a binder?! Why didn't you lead with that, you idiot!

And then...

Jake: Amy, don't act weird when I say this, but we're going to need to use the binder.

Amy: Oh mama…

"Blind" Charles: What's going on? I can hear your lips moving. Ahh. Are you guys kissing?

Jake: What? No! Charles, stop always asking that.

• Love 6

I don't think he was pretending to be blind - he'd had Lasik that day and was in recovery. What I'm not sure of is whether that's medically accurate...I thought you actually could start to see fairly well very soon after Lasik.

It's not... I had Lasik and when I was still in the chair they had me look at a clock across the room. (Which I could see! Best money I ever spent!)  If they wanted to show him blind, they could have said "eyelid surgery" or made up something. Lasik is common enough that they should know that.

I was totally skeeved out by the possum. I had a possum die under my house, and yuk. And they are really scary; they have big long nasty teeth.

But Amy and Jake and Terry were really great in this episode!

Jake on the phone: Voulez vous whatever     Holt: No, I don't want to sleep with you.

Jake:  He called me Jacob! That's biblical!!

But my favorite part:   Boyle mapping Jake's face. "Mapping mapping mapping mapping."  "What's up there buddy?"  How Andy Samberg did not crack up is beyond me...

Regarding Lasik when I had it while I wasn't blind my eyes watered for a couple of hours and they were extremely light sensitive for a few hours afterwards.  I could see when I opened them but it hurt to open them so I just kept them closed and went to sleep for a couple of hours until it passed.  

• Love 1

Pimento and Rosa are totally creepy yet hilarious. I don't know how the show pulled that off. Very possible Terry is the magic ingredient.

The two did pretty good by themselves -- Terry was just the icing on the cake.  The first scene together, even before Terry said anything, was spell-binding in a "hold the possum" funny-scary way.

Of course Rosa can do better -- she just doesn't want to. 

I was expecting some kind of food joke combining Cheddar and Pimento's names.

When Jake first walked in and she was struggling to get the sweater away from Cheddar you could see that her eyes were red and puffy, But aside from that there was no mention of it.

She also muttered, "Damn my dog allergy," (or something similar) right after Jake and Boyle arrived.

I totally loved that Jake made it sound like Cheddar was some evil dog mastermind running around the city and he was just strolling around, licking ice cream cones on the ground, and chilling at the park.

• Love 3

As mentioned above, yep, they addressed it. And I surmised the reason why would she expose herself to such a crippling allergy is Quinnessential Amy: Holt and Big Binder.

""I don't think he was pretending to be blind - he'd had Lasik that day and was in recovery. What I'm not sure of is whether that's medically accurate...I thought you actually could start to see fairly well very soon after Lasik."

It's not... I had Lasik and when I was still in the chair they had me look at a clock across the room. (Which I could see! Best money I ever spent!) If they wanted to show him blind, they could have said "eyelid surgery" or made up something. Lasik is common enough that they should know that."

I had the old-school version of Lasik, PRK surgery, last year, and I really COULDN'T see well for the first couple of days. Super photo-sensitive and everything was blurry. I'd have been able to tell the difference between a dog and an opossum!

Rosa and Pimento's flirtation had me in stitches. I don't even know, but the office supply props made it that much funnier. I adore Terry Crews for being the small island of sanity in the ocean of crazy that is this show.

My love for Jake and Amy knows no bounds. They just so totally accept each others eccentricities and quirks, its adorable. 

As others have said, my favorite thing was Jake going on about Cheddar's being some evil Corgi mastermind, only to cut to him being cute around the city. Corgi love!   

• Love 1

I liked everything about this episode except Diaz and the new guy. Their scenes are uncomfortably creepy. I love Diaz, but I am not feeling this new relationship.

I don't think it's a "relationship" so much as it is a chance for us to watch the other cast members acting out the various emotions we are also feeling.  It's sort of an opportunity for the writers and actors to give us lots of "He's saying what I'm thinking!" moments.

His long reaction shot after learning he was holding the possum was possibly my favorite moment of the episode.

I couldn't decide which I liked more: Boyle's reaction or Amy's. Seriously, she gives a simply fabulous horrified face. :)

I can't really get into the whole Rosa /Adrian thing - I mean, it was funny (especially when Terry told her that a sex offender wanted them to cool it), but Adrian kind of skeeves me out. I'm like, "you can do better, Rosa!"

I'm pretty sure Rosa isn't interested in a relationship. She flat-out told Jake that she was going to have sex with Adrian. I don't think she's under any illusions; she's just sexually attracted to him despite her better judgment. I do not know how the actors were able to hold it together when they had their increasingly weird and charged moments. Terry's myriad reactions to them were the icing on the cake. I also laughed at Scully and Hitchcock eating popcorn while they watched them at the precinct.

Gina was tolerable as well. I have to say that Peretti's delivery of "oh, dang" does make me laugh.

Can't Amy take medication? I get that she was caught out at Holt's party back in S1 but she knew she was going to be dog sitting despite her allergies, so why not pop a Claritin or whatever beforehand?

And the parade of 'hide the pregnancy!' continues: big blazers, sit behind desk, hold bunch of sweaters to your torso, clutch a cushion to your torso, wear a man's trenchcoat...heh. :)

Can't Amy take medication? I get that she was caught out at Holt's party back in S1 but she knew she was going to be dog sitting despite her allergies, so why not pop a Claritin or whatever beforehand?

I am allergic to cats and I can tell you that allergy medication doesn't do much for me. Without medication, I have hives and my breathing sounds like Darth Vader anywhere between 10-30 minutes after I arrive. When I take medication, all it does is delay the reaction which means I still get hives and sound asthmatic but 30-60 minutes after I arrive. Once the hive and raspy breathing start, nothing will reverse either except leaving.

• Love 1

I am allergic to cats and I can tell you that allergy medication doesn't do much for me. Without medication, I have hives and my breathing sounds like Darth Vader anywhere between 10-30 minutes after I arrive. When I take medication, all it does is delay the reaction which means I still get hives and sound asthmatic but 30-60 minutes after I arrive. Once the hive and raspy breathing start, nothing will reverse either except leaving.

Oh yikes! I had no idea that allergy medications might be useless for pet allergies. Perhaps Amy is one of those similarly afflicted... :(

It's definitely no fun, especially since so many people I know have cats which means I can either suffer or politely ask if we can hang out somewhere else. One of my friends is really allergic to dogs and he started dating a girl who he later found out had a dog. He had to break up with her because he couldn't spend any time at her house which meant they really had no potential for a long term relationship. I really feel for Amy (mostly because I love dogs and can't imagine not being able to pet them or be near them). I even asked my doctor if there was any kind of allergy medication that would target my cat allergy better and was told no.

It's definitely no fun, especially since so many people I know have cats which means I can either suffer or politely ask if we can hang out somewhere else. One of my friends is really allergic to dogs and he started dating a girl who he later found out had a dog. He had to break up with her because he couldn't spend any time at her house which meant they really had no potential for a long term relationship. I really feel for Amy (mostly because I love dogs and can't imagine not being able to pet them or be near them). I even asked my doctor if there was any kind of allergy medication that would target my cat allergy better and was told no.

I live outside of San Francisco, a place where an unexpectedly high number of men own cats. I am highly allergic. Puts a serious limitation on dating. (An online dating hopeful once offered to get rid of his cat for me...gotta say, that didn't win me over. You'd ditch your pet?)

ANYWAY, back to the show. I was totally delighted by those little cutaways to Cheddar. The music director did a perfect job. Corgis always look so darn happy.

Edited by snarktini

I love this show, but I was truly confused about the next to last scene, where Jake was trying to get Holt in the car. Was he deliberately not letting him in the car? Why did he keep yelling "coming to get you cheddar!"

Otherwise, I loved this episode,corgis are adorable. I wish there had been longer moments of Cheddar'sadventures. Hell I'd watch the whole episode fo that. 

On 8/28/2016 at 9:53 AM, sara516 said:

I love this show, but I was truly confused about the next to last scene, where Jake was trying to get Holt in the car. Was he deliberately not letting him in the car? Why did he keep yelling "coming to get you cheddar!"

I believe Jake was having trouble with the door locks because Gina ripped out all those wires.

So, I'm walking around the neighborhood, and what do I spy, why a corgi on a leash. We stopped and looked at each other and I could just tell that with the knowing smile, the malevolent plot being hatched would be put in motion as soon as the leash was off. I called the pooch "Cheddar" and, believe it or not*, he winked at me.

*You shouldn't believe me. 

• Love 3