Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Funner House

Artsda

When Stephanie, Kimmy, and D.J. have a girls' night out and leave Joey in charge of the kids, things get wild out on the town and at home.

Surprised to see the cameos. Maks & Val from Dancing with the Stars. Macy Gray.

Is that really Jodie singing? She's great.

• Love 1

That goddam giant beaver is terrifying.

Was it always that terrifying?

Not to mention Dave Coulier's face. That's scary too. Oh, also that he's still relying on 40 year old material (like impressions of Don Adams--in other words an impression that was 20 years out of date the first time we heard him do it).

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

I had no idea who the hell the 'dancing brothers' were supposed to be or why I was supposed to care or find them funny. Guess they're from Dancing With the (dubious) Stars? Oh. I don't know anyone who even watches that show so I find it a little weird, to me they are not at all 'household names/faces' so it was random.

• Love 1

I had no idea who the hell the 'dancing brothers' were supposed to be or why I was supposed to care or find them funny. Guess they're from Dancing With the (dubious) Stars? Oh. I don't know anyone who even watches that show so I find it a little weird, to me they are not at all 'household names/faces' so it was random.

I watch it! lol I'm sure they were only on because Candace did DWTS and they probably wrote the scene so she could show off her moves. She had a different partner on the show, though. And now Jodie is going to be on the new season according to reports.

• Love 2

I always found Maks and Val insufferable, so this episode was pretty dull for me. Ditto Dave Coulier.

i'm constantly surprised with what Candace is allowing her character to do and wear. She was always very adamant that her Dancing with the Stars outfits were modest, and the dress she wore in this episode was pretty skimpy. She looked amazing, though. Maybe she's loosened up since DWTS and Make it or Break It, where she insisted her character be a Christian and hold Christian values.

Not loving that they made Kimmy's ex such a broad Latin lover stereotype. It's 2016, this is a character straight out of 90s sitcoms. Which....makes sense considering this show.

• Love 7

On the one hand, its cool that Kimmy was married to a Latino guy, and has a biracial daughter, but on the other hand, the ex husband is such a stereotype, he seems more like a parody of a Latin Lover character, instead of an actual person. 

Candace looked amazing in that dress. I wonder what Kirk had to say about that outfit? 

I was literally thinking "how is Macy Gray doing this, the woman has a Grammy!" right before poor Macy said the same line. She still sounds great. 

• Love 6

Candace looked amazing in that dress. I wonder what Kirk had to say about that outfit? 

I wonder how he felt about her dirty dancing with Andrea. 

I'm liking that Candice is allowing DJ to have a little adult fun and not being so uptight. This show is a little more adult with allowing them to drink, I don't think they ever did that on the original. 

Kimmy's ex is way too stereotype. Macy Gray was an random addition to the show. Maks and Val made sense with Cameron being on Dancing with Stars. 

• Love 2

i'm constantly surprised with what Candace is allowing her character to do and wear. She was always very adamant that her Dancing with the Stars outfits were modest, and the dress she wore in this episode was pretty skimpy. She looked amazing, though. Maybe she's loosened up since DWTS and Make it or Break It, where she insisted her character be a Christian and hold Christian values.

I found myself hoping so, but I saw a Fox News appearance on YT last night that she apparently did just this month. She's still the same smaller branch off the same tree of Nuts that her brother occupies. I think she's moved the line a bit when it comes to playing a role, but I suppose goes home and tries to pray away regret about it or something like that.

In one episode she even sort of makes sex jokes (actually it's more another character, but she's the bemused target of it) and I found myself wondering if Kirk called her up and screamed at her that she's going to Hell after he saw it.

• Love 5

It took me a couple of minutes to recognize the brothers. I don't really watch Dancing With The Stars, but have been finding clips recently. But they were kind of funny. The guy dancing with Steph (Val, maybe?) did a better job at acting than the other one (Maks?). Also didn't care about whoever Macy Gray is. But...is she intentionally a bad actress, or is she more of a singer? 

Jodie and Candace are surprisingly good dancers. 

Fernando is such a stereotype, but I guess they're trying to show us how quirky he is, just like Kimmy had been/still is.

Having Joey show up was fun. It was actually a cool subplot, because it's so realistic. It was entertaining to see the kids go from on their devices to playing with the silly string to ganging up on Joey.

• Love 2

It took me a couple of minutes to recognize the brothers. I don't really watch Dancing With The Stars, but have been finding clips recently. But they were kind of funny. The guy dancing with Steph (Val, maybe?) did a better job at acting than the other one (Maks?). Also didn't care about whoever Macy Gray is. But...is she intentionally a bad actress, or is she more of a singer?

Jodie and Candace are surprisingly good dancers.

Fernando is such a stereotype, but I guess they're trying to show us how quirky he is, just like Kimmy had been/still is.

Having Joey show up was fun. It was actually a cool subplot, because it's so realistic. It was entertaining to see the kids go from on their devices to playing with the silly string to ganging up on Joey.

Macy Gray is a singer not an actress and had a hugely popular song 15 years ago and has been still performing and recording over the years.

• Love 1

Actually Macy is also an actress.  She has been in a few movies and tv shows over the years.  She is primarily known for singing.  She does a lot of Lee Daniels (The Butler, Precious) projects.

Really loved this episode as well.  I was glad to see them go a little more adult with the show.  The drinking, dancing, some jokes.  Really glad they aren't making it too sappy.  Agree with most that Jodie Sweeten is the standout here.  I love that Stefanie has an edge to her this time around.  I'm also enjoying Andrea Barber here more than I "liked" her character in the original series.

I like others were getting the thought that Candace is playing DJ as herself as opposed to a grown up DJ, but the dirty dancing, and responding to "sexy lesbians" was totally DJ and not Candace Cameron Burre.

• Love 1

I was surprised with the casualness of the lesbian reference and that there was no, oh, we're just friends and straight! correction made. I know it'll never, ever happen but I think it would be interesting if Kimmy and DJ did date!

Edited by Rebecca
  • Love 2

I was too, both the dancing and the "let's hear it for the lucious lesbians!"

Me three!

DJ and Kimmy doing the 'Time of my life' dance is one of the most awesomenest things I've ever seen, though!

• Love 2

I was surprised with the casualness of the lesbian reference and that there was no, oh, we're just friends and straight! correction made. I know it'll never, ever happen but I think it would be interesting if Kimmy and DJ did date!

To be fair to Candace, although she does have some nutty beliefs just like that shithead brother of hers (wife subordinate to husband, the Bible is literally true and should be taught as such, etc.) she claims to not be anti-gay.

A recent article: (note the publication name too...)

Christian Post: Candace Cameron Bure 100% Open to Same-Sex Topics on 'Fuller House'

Clearly a lot of folks aren't going to like her position on the whole wedding cake thing, and I'm certain she's anti-gay marriage, but at least she isn't throwing her weight around to try and get DJ (a person who is not her) to believe exactly the same.

Edited by Kromm

Yeah, I remember reading that. She said something like she can separate her character from herself.

She was on some shitty show on ABC Family years ago about Gymnastics where her character had some of CCB's real beliefs and my memory is it really put off viewers. Maybe that taught her a lesson (not enough of one that she's changed them, but at least about what goes on-screen playing someone who doesn't believe the Bible is literally true).
  • Love 1

I've always gotten the feeling that despite some conservative views, Candace seems to be a genuinely nice person (she said she would have made the cake for the gay couple, but it was taking the choice out of the individuals' hands solely due to their reasons for it she didn't approve of IIRC) who's more of a true Christian than Kirk and his ilk.

Edited by katie9918

Looking at it purely from a character perspective, I would think that being FROM SAN FRANCISCO, both Kimmy and DJ would be allies of the LGBT community.  And unlike her brother CCB knows the difference between ACTING and her own personal beliefs.  She's probably nowhere near as nutty as her brother, anyway.

• Love 1

She was on some shitty show on ABC Family years ago about Gymnastics where her character had some of CCB's real beliefs and my memory is it really put off viewers. Maybe that taught her a lesson (not enough of one that she's changed them, but at least about what goes on-screen playing someone who doesn't believe the Bible is literally true).

Yeah on that show it was weird because the show had nothing to do with religion and you suddenly had a character pushed front and center telling everyone to pray all the time. It doesn't seem like they'll be doing it on this show, which would make no sense for DJ's character. 

Looking at it purely from a character perspective, I would think that being FROM SAN FRANCISCO, both Kimmy and DJ would be allies of the LGBT community. And unlike her brother CCB knows the difference between ACTING and her own personal beliefs. She's probably nowhere near as nutty as her brother, anyway.

I 100% doubt every person from San Fran is a gay ally and it's been proven that Candace has had a hard time not making her acting roles about her personal beliefs instead of acting, just see the other posts in this thread. Just because she may not be just like Kirk doesn't mean she hasn't been offensive herself. I give her credit for trying to separate herself from DJ for this show, though.

• Love 2

Yeah on that show it was weird because the show had nothing to do with religion and you suddenly had a character pushed front and center telling everyone to pray all the time. It doesn't seem like they'll be doing it on this show, which would make no sense for DJ's character.

Actually (according to anything I have read about it)- the character was already written as being Christian before Canadace ever took the role.

The fact that Candace kisses other guys on screen (and judging by all those hallmark movies-there has been quite a few) already shows that she's not as fanatical as her brother (who insists on either his wife playing the role or he uses her as a stand in when he has to kiss the female)

I 100% doubt every person from San Fran is a gay ally and it's been proven that Candace has had a hard time not making her acting roles about her personal beliefs instead of acting, just see the other posts in this thread. Just because she may not be just like Kirk doesn't mean she hasn't been offensive herself. I give her credit for trying to separate herself from DJ for this show, though.

The very fact that neither Kimmy nor DJ said anything about NOT being a couple makes me believe they're at least somewhat allies to the community.  But then again, you probably don't correct Macy Gray on anything.  :)

Actually (according to anything I have read about it)- the character was already written as being Christian before Canadace ever took the role.

The fact that Candace kisses other guys on screen (and judging by all those hallmark movies-there has been quite a few) already shows that she's not as fanatical as her brother (who insists on either his wife playing the role or he uses her as a stand in when he has to kiss the female)

Just having watched that show, I have a really hard time believing the character was always written that way. I'm not saying Candace is as bad as her brother or that she forces her views into everything, but I do think she did in that show.

• Love 1

Jodi Sweetin is fantastic. She can act, sing, and dance. Even if this show doesn't come back, I hope this brings her back into the entertainment industry.

Honestly, of the originals, she seems to have the most to gain from a successful performance. Candace will continue to do Candace, somewhere. The adults seem to be in it for the nostalgia factor. Andrea supposedly "came out of retirement" and could do something in the industry next, or go back to whatever she was doing before. But Jodie could actually use this as a launch to a next chapter - if she doesn't fall into old patterns. I'm rooting for her, as she was a bright spot in this.

Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 3

Kimmy and DJ? Hey, I'm still waiting for Gia to reappear as Stephanie's ex-girlfriend. 

2rgjtrn.jpg

Sixth graders are terminally pathetic.

• Love 5

I agree that JS definitely has the most to gain and probably needs this the most. She also reportedly has the least money of the cast, even estimated to have a net worth less that Andrea Barber's because Andrea was smart with her money.

I want to see Gia too! Marla is still acting so she probably would if they asked I'm guessing. I also want to see Nelson and Viper.

• Love 2

I really liked this episode. Uncle Joey strutting merrily from one room to the next after he pulled one over on the kids had me cracking up. Everything that happened at the club was fantastic. DJ looked amazing in that dress, and I want it! Stephanie is an awesome singer! All around good episode. 

• Love 2

I agree that JS definitely has the most to gain and probably needs this the most. She also reportedly has the least money of the cast, even estimated to have a net worth less that Andrea Barber's because Andrea was smart with her money.

I want to see Gia too! Marla is still acting so she probably would if they asked I'm guessing. I also want to see Nelson and Viper.

Gia showing up would be great, because as you said, she is still in acting and her and Steph had a great dynamic. Yes, Barber was very smart with her money. I remember around 97 she did an interview about using her money and finishing up to a PhD, which she later got. She loved school and wanted to use the money she made to a good cause and not fall into other traps. Even sighting Candance's eating disorder problems during the mid way of the show or problems that she saw Jodie falling into. She really has slipped back into the roll of Kimmy extremely well. You can believe its her, now divorced with a teen daughter who is anti-Kimmy and even embarrassed by her mother at times. I just don't get why they never showed Kimmy's parents during the entire show. I mean, she was coming up with crazy ideas, reading the Tanner's mail and even had an ostrich named Oscar in the backyard. She was the Steve Urkle of Full House, which were both made by Jeff Franklin of course, but really. They created these crazy next door neighbors that were down to the point of crossing the border of stalking to crazyville. Their parents talked about, or even heard off screen, but never shown. If they do get a second season, they need to at least show them.

• Love 2

The show is a glorious mess and I love every minute of it.

CCB is a physically talented performer. There's an extended wrestling sequence coming up and, ok, someone with a dance background can learn classic pro wrestling moves. What is remarkable is that CCB really, really sells them.

Edited by Josiah Bounderby
  • Love 1
Macy Gray is a singer not an actress and had a hugely popular song 15 years ago and has been still performing and recording over the years.

Macy Gray has acted in enough projects to legitimately call her an actress as well. Primarily a singer, yes, but also an actress. Though I doubt her appearance on Fuller House will make her reel. If you want to see Macy Gray showing some acting chops, watch her in the Lee Daniels film "The Paperboy".

I find asking what did Macy Gray do to deserve this questions funny because she hasn't been a huge star for over a decade. I don't understand what's the big deal about her doing a cameo on a silly little show. She's not relevant.

• Love 1

She's still the same smaller branch off the same tree of Nuts that her brother occupies. I think she's moved the line a bit when it comes to playing a role, but I suppose goes home and tries to pray away regret about it or something like that.

In one episode she even sort of makes sex jokes (actually it's more another character, but she's the bemused target of it) and I found myself wondering if Kirk called her up and screamed at her that she's going to Hell after he saw it.

I think Candace is smart enough to realize that unless she wants to make straight-to-DVD religious movies, she can't be the devout Christian submissive wife in everything she makes. She seems to have figured out what she's comfortable with, and she's had a pretty thriving Hallmark career as a result.

(edited)

I find asking what did Macy Gray do to deserve this questions funny because she hasn't been a huge star for over a decade. I don't understand what's the big deal about her doing a cameo on a silly little show. She's not relevant.

Macy Gray has never been a huge star. She was a respectable one for a few years, not huge but well known, based mostly on the song called I Try. And then she never had a hit record again. Not a single one. But she did get some decent movie and TV gigs. Again, nothing that big--just enough to keep her name in the back of people's minds.  But really the problem with people acting like this is some kind of new low for Macy is that it totally ignores the reality of her career. Go look on IMDB and/or Wikipedia. She has a boatload of previous credits to Fuller House playing HERSELF. Acting gigs playing herself, I mean, not talk shows. So this is nothing new for her.

Edited by Kromm