Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: The Edge of Mystery / S02.E09: A Little Song and Dance

Peggy and Sousa propose a trade with Whitney Frost, while the SSR gets help from Howard Stark that may be the key to eliminating Zero Matter.

Peggy desperately tries to save Dr. Wilkes with a dangerous plan to stop Whitney Frost. But Thompson makes a surprising move that could destroy them all.

Promo:

Wow.  Thompson's never been this interesting before.  He's still a jerk, but I kind of like this smart but ruthless side to him.

I have mixed feelings about the dream sequence at the beginning of A Little Song And Dance.  On its own, it was adorable and it let us see Angie again, but it otherwise felt out of place with the episode.  It was just such an odd moment to have a musical number about Peggy's love triangle.

• Love 2

I don't even know how to being processing everything.

Peggy kicking Red Foremans' ass? Wonderful

Rage-Jarvis? Scary

Reason-you-suck speech from Peggy to Jarvis? Heartbreaking but necessary

Same speech from Jarvis to Peggy? See above

Having no clue what the hell Thompson is up to but being amusing by it? Headspinning

Whitney Frost? Terrifying

Jason Wilkes? Same

The mobster having genuine respect and admiration for Whitney? Oddly heartwarming. Whitney should have never dumped him for Cal

The Song-and-Dance number? Surreal, funny and a reason why Peggy should *never* try LSD

Will post more later once I have more thoughts sorted out

Edited by anna0852
  • Love 8

All my children were cranky and tired and hurting and yelling at each other. They all need a vacation after this.

Glad FBI Red Forman is no more.

I still want Agent CMM to go die in a fire. Even if he turns out to be on the good side by the end of this, it's too little too late to get back in my good graces (although he was never in my good graces to begin with).

Man these episodes were stressful.

I'll finish my thoughts tomorrow because it's late; my typing skills take a sharp nose-dive when I'm tired and I don't feel like re-editing my post six dozen times.

• Love 2

Poor Jarvises, Mrs Jarvis can't give birth.  But they'll help raise Tony, and do such a good job that Tony will name his AI Jarvis, and make sure he's part of the Avengers.  So while Mrs Jarvis can't give birth, Tony will consider them parents.

James D'arcy was fantastic these episodes, even more than usual.

Had to love Mrs Jarvis despite being shot encouraging Jarvis to help Peggy, because Peggy doesn't have that many people close to her.  It's refreshing to see a married couple where there's no jealousy, they encourage each other, are devoted to one another, and are good decent people.

The musical number was top notch.  Don't cancel the show ABC.

• Love 11

Dear Lord, who put what into the water over there that made all the men attractive this episode? I never gave two hoots about Sousa before, but I found him all kinds of hot this episode. Same with Jarvis. And this is the most likeable and interesting Thompson has been on the entire series!

That dance number was surreal. I was half amused, half bemused. All I know is I now want to see a ballroom dancing movie with Enver Gokajojo or whatever the hell his name is. Man can move!

I agree that the mobster is oddly touching with Whitney. And his mother is hilarious. The scene with them arguing about the sauce with Carter and Sousa cleaning up the place in the background was hilarious.

Peggy and Jarvis, never fight like that again. You nearly broke my heart.

• Love 7

Peggy and Jarvis yelling at each other just gutted me. They're the heart and soul of this show and to see them go at it like that...OUCH. Just ouch. Those are going to be hard words to move past. Did I mention OUCH? :(

I saw Anna not being able to have kids coming from a mile away. Be more cliche, writers, seriously, I dare you. Also--sigh--I don't even like Sousa, but it sat wrong with me that in Peggy's dream sequence they had him throw his cane away. It felt like a disservice to not just Sousa but also Peggy. The whole point of Peggy/Steve was that she liked scrawny Steve just as much as Cap Steve. So her unconscious having Sousa throw the cane away...it just left a poor taste in my mouth. Along with Wilkes throwing his lot in with Frost and co. These two episodes were...not thoughtful about optics. At all.

Have to second the notion that on its own the dream sequence was okay--loved seeing Angie again!--but it didn't fit well into the episode.

I cracked up when Peggy told Thompson that he was better than using manufactured evidence against her. Have you MET the guy, Peggy???

MVP tonight definitely was James d'Arcy. Him begging Anna to wake up tore my heart to shreds. And him and Peggy fighting...urrrrrrgh. Killed me dead.

The scene with them arguing about the sauce with Carter and Sousa cleaning up the place in the background was hilarious.

I don't disagree but I also kind of feel like they've used that gag up at this point. It's become a little too meta for me. Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 4

Wow.  Thompson's never been this interesting before.  He's still a jerk, but I kind of like this smart but ruthless side to him.

I like that when he tried to blackmail Peggy she utterly shrugged it off and that he was savvy enough to figure that the information was fake. And I swear I saw a little smile from him when Peggy said he was better than that. I think Thompson genuinely doesn't know how to deal with someone who doesn't play politics and simply wants to get the job done.

• Love 4

The musical number was great, strange, but great. And look all of the people that fans ship Peggy with were in it. Angie, Dottie, Sousa and Wilkes. 

The Peggy and Jarvis was needed but heartbreaking. That was a low blow from Jarvis about everyone dying around her. Although Steve's not dead but no one knows about that yet. I"m also going to have assume her brother's not dead either since Sharon Carter exists. 

Thompson was finally interesting, he still goes to far to one side though. 

Do Mr Jarvis and Mrs Jarvis raise Tony? They will probably help Peggy with her future kids as well. 

I like that when he tried to blackmail Peggy she utterly shrugged it off and that he was savvy enough to figure that the information was fake

Peggy not giving a shit probably clued him into it being fake. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 2

I love this show.  I loved the dance number.  It was so unexpected but they were all so good.  Everyone wants to make Jarvis the MVP of the episode, and he was terrific, but it will always be Peggy for me.  I can't get over how fabulous she is in this role.  I hope the show gets another season.

• Love 3

Really good episodes.  I’m enjoying these two-hour blocks.

Poors Ana.  I felt terrible when they revealed that (although it’s not a surprise).  James D’Arcy really nailed his scenes tonight and he even managed to look like a different person.  Loved him shooting Whitney even if it didn’t work and I don’t think Peggy should have gotten all pissy about that (everything else was fair enough).  The argument between them was brutal but very well-acted by both Haley Atwell and JDA.

Definitely agree that this is the most interesting that Thompson has been.  I laughed when he told Peggy and Sousa that he would have shot the both of them.  The look FBI Red gave Manfredi when he said he loved fire was classic.  Definitely a Red Foreman moment.

Manfredi has turned out to be a fun addition to this season and I like him and Whitney together.

While I agree the dance sequence was out of place for this episode it was still a lot of fun.  Hi, Angie!  I’m embarrassed to admit that I had completely forgotten that she did not rejoin the regular cast this season.  She would have been a likely choice to be out in Hollywood with Peggy.

Gamma radiation!

One more episode to go.  I hope it won’t be the final episode of Agent Carter.

• Love 2

Man, even when she's knocked out, Peggy is a boss.

Good pair of episodes. I'm hoping Hayley Atwell's  pilot falls through so that we could get a season of closure with Peggy. That isn't too wrong, right?

The episodes had just the right balance of drama, tragedy and comedy. I could do without Al the boffin, but he was good in small doses. I think Rose could do better, though.

Anybody else feel a little cheated at the lack of masks (masques?) this season?

Loved the song and dance number! LOVED IT.

Clearly I have a type, I've also loved low-rated musicals Galavant and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.

So much double-crossing, reversals, and fake-outs in these two episodes.

• Love 3

I really loved these two episodes. The scene with Jarvis talking to Ana while waiting for her to wake up was beautiful. I feel so bad for them that they can't have children. :( I like that Ana knew that there was something Jarvis wasn't telling her. And it was sweet that Ana told him to support Peggy because she needs people she can trust.

Peggy and Daniel casually taking out the mobsters in the restaurant was great, and I laughed at basically every scene with Dr. Samberly and how Daniel was just 100% done with him the entire time. Then the show has to go break my heart with that scene between Peggy and Jarvis in the desert. I know Jarvis was hurting, but telling Peggy everyone around her dies was uncalled for. Ouch. Peggy was right though, that Jarvis needs to realize that the cases aren't all fun and games. Amazing job by both Hayley and James. 

Thompson continues to be a sneaky, backstabbing little weasel. It's not hard to figure out what side he's on. He's on Team Thompson, looking out for his own interests, as always.

The musical montage was amazing. I wish my dreams were technicolor 1940s dance numbers with snazzy costumes! That scene also reinforces my love for Peggy and Daniel--their chemistry is unreal.

• Love 5

I never knew I wanted a dance number on Agent Carter until now.  That was a blast.  Loved how the incorporated the obvious suspects like Sousa, Wilkes, and Jarvis into it, and the appearances from Angie (yay!) and Dottie too.  Only thing that might have improved it would have been Howard Stark leading a conga line, while the Howling Commandos bust a move, complete with jazz hands (and Dum Dum would obviously still have the cigar in his mouth throughout the entire thing.)

I've seen some painful stuff on television before, but nothing might have been as painful as that Peggy and Jarvis fight.  It just felt so wrong seeing them at odds, but it also made sense, because Jarvis really did let his emotions mess things up, and yet Peggy has made mistakes too that need to be called out (although his line about everyone close to her dying was low.  Boo, Jarvis!)  I'm glad they worked it out at least, but that was some painful stuff, and I hope it doesn't strain their relationship in the long run.  These two are clearly stronger together then apart.  Goes without saying that Hayley Atwell and James D'Arcy killed that scene.

In general, D'Arcy killed it as well.  Angry Jarvis was freaking scary as hell.  Still can't believe he gunned down Whitney like that.  Of course, she survived, but had she not had that power?  He would have straight-up killed her.  Damn!  Not surprised though, after what happened to Ana.  Glad she's alive, but it's too bad Whitney prevented her from ever having children.  And to think Whitney considers herself some big crusader for women right now.

Wilkes betrayal was a bit hollow for me.  I think they needed more time to develop it, because while I understand his reasons on some levels, it just feels like it wasn't fully earned.  If anything, it feels more like a reason to take him out of contention for good as a love interest for Peggy, which I guess is good news for Daniel at least.

Jack's a crafty little bastard, huh?  Playing everyone so he can try to take out both Vernon and Whitney at the same time.  The man has ambition, I'll give him that!

Manfredi is hilarious.  I loved how anyone called the place a "dump", he kept repeating waste management.  Ken Marino is spot-on in the role.

Finale next week!  Perfectly preview for it too, because it probably will take everyone to defeat Whitney Frost. 

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 7

I thought the doctor was going to say Anna is still dying or that she’ll never walk again, so I was just relived at what it actually was. Eh, it could be worse!

Normally I would be Team Peggy all the way, but at this point I’m Team Thompson. Blow ‘em all up! It was sneaky, sure, and I never much liked Thompson before, but I gotta say, well played, Thompson, well played. Come on, not like anyone really has a better idea on how to contain the black matter and Vernon anyway.

And I laughed out loud at Thompson saying to Peggy “I couldn’t care less who you’re climbing into bed with.” It’s pretty much how I feel about the whole Souza/Peggy/Wilkes triangle.

• Love 7

I think the file was real but it was for Micheal Carter not Margret Carter like Thompson assumed.  I think Micheal got up to something that Peggy doesn't know about and that file Thompson brought forward is going to lead to some interesting consequences if we get a season 3.  I noticed the file said M. Carter which could be either sibling.  Margret didn't react to the file because she's ignorant of what her brother may have been involved in.

• Love 16

I like that when he tried to blackmail Peggy she utterly shrugged it off and that he was savvy enough to figure that the information was fake. And I swear I saw a little smile from him when Peggy said he was better than that. I think Thompson genuinely doesn't know how to deal with someone who doesn't play politics and simply wants to get the job done.

Am I alone on this because I'm confident that those records aren't fake. They're just not about Margaret Carter, they're about Michael. It would explain why they exist in MI-6 and why Peggy has no idea what Jack was on about. He popped up tonight as a nice reminder he existed and come on, this is the MCU where people "die" all the time.

Edited to add: Obviously I'm not the only person who thinks this. Good to know.

Edited by vibeology
  • Love 12

So if they are making Souza Peggy's actual boyfriend then one of them needs to leave the SSR, right?  They can't work in the same office, especially if he stays the boss.  It will be a reason to spur Peggy to create SHIELD, especially since they know the Council has control.  Peggy seems less suited to dealing with the administrative BS and backstabbing so it makes sense for her to leave and start an organization where she's the boss.  Of course, HYDRA's going to do the exact same thing as the Council but at least the acronyms are catchier. 

I think the file was real but it was for Micheal Carter not Margret Carter like Thompson assumed. I think Micheal got up to something that Peggy doesn't know about and that file Thompson brought forward is going to lead to some interesting consequences if we get a season 3. I noticed the file said M. Carter which could be either sibling. Margret didn't react to the file because she's ignorant of what her brother may have been involved in.

I don't think so. Thompson referenced June 1944 as the date of the supposed incident. Michael's death was reported in 1940. And it was Michael's death that drove Peggy into the field. Their activities wouldn't have overlapped.

And I laughed out loud at Thompson saying to Peggy “I couldn’t care less who you’re climbing into bed with.” It’s pretty much how I feel about the whole Souza/Peggy/Wilkes triangle.

That sentence alone makes me root for him!

• Love 3

That sentence alone makes me root for him!

That was a good line though I admit the "I would have shot you both" line made me laugh.

It took me a moment to realize that M. Carter in that file was Peggy. 

As painful as it was, the Peggy and Jarvis blow-up was an impressive as you're going to see on all of television.

• Love 4

I don't think so. Thompson referenced June 1944 as the date of the supposed incident. Michael's death was reported in 1940. And it was Michael's death that drove Peggy into the field. Their activities wouldn't have overlapped.

Its the MCU. People "die" all the time. Michael's death could have been a cover to let him go on some sort of special op, it could have been reported in error or many other things. Peggy seemed so genuinely confused about whatever Jack was talking about I can't believe that she's lying. Obviously the info could be fake, but its an MI-6 file, not something from SHIELD, so it should be harder to fake and why bother redacting crucial incriminating info if you're faking a file to frame Peggy?

• Love 3

I'm not sure how I feel about the imagery of a black man, living in the forties, being turned invisible, having to live in a cage, being held against his will so someone can experiment on/torture him and turning into something that is not human.

• Love 9

Its the MCU. People "die" all the time. Michael's death could have been a cover to let him go on some sort of special op, it could have been reported in error or many other things. Peggy seemed so genuinely confused about whatever Jack was talking about I can't believe that she's lying. Obviously the info could be fake, but its an MI-6 file, not something from SHIELD, so it should be harder to fake and why bother redacting crucial incriminating info if you're faking a file to frame Peggy?

I think the redacted thing is so the file appears genuine to Thompson. And it came from a school buddy of his that was educated in the US, where all this shadow stuff seems to be coming from.

I can see that in a war on criminals with undercover agents creating a new identity but is there really a reason to shield the Carter family involvement by faking the death of a Captain when Captains were dying by the thousands in a total war with Germany. But the dates of the massacre seemed to be at a time when Agent Carter was seconded to the SSR and why would she behind the lines with the S.O.E. at that time?

The worst part Agent Vega and his partner going out on an assassination mission, even if Chief Thompson talked them out of it, they were supposed to be SSR, US Government G-Men, not Hydra...yet

Also, that moment when Thompson and Sousa both told Samberly to "do as Peggy says!" was just wonderful. Very full circle from Iron Ceiling last season with the Howling Commandos. And not something I ever thought I'd hear Thompson say.

• Love 5

I agree with the theory that the redacted file was about Michael. It's why they went with the first initial in the name and then reminded us he existed in her dream. They even had him sitting at the desk were Vernon reads the report and not in the diner with the rest of the dance number. Michael isn't dead and he was up to something in 1944. 

Man, Jack's ability to read social cues was off the chart last night. Was there anybody he wasn't able to find a successful angle to play? He knew exactly what to say to everybody to get them to think he was on their side. And, he is not wrong about taking out Whitney and Vernon. Vernon will kill them all and not give a second thought about it. Whitney needs to be stopped and even Wilkes thinks he's too dangerous. 

Vernon was on fire tonight. I loved his look at Mafia guy when he said he liked fire. Vernon was pragmatic when he needed to be (he knows Whitney is out of control) and he even appreciated that Jack had figured out how to kill them all. I don't think that Whitney would ever have stood in front of the gun and allowed it to be shot at her. I figured all along they were modifying it so that it would deploy in a different way. I didn't think the others wouldn't be in on it and Jack would have it just turned into a bomb.

D'Arcy was acting his a$$ off during this episode. Great job. The fight with Peggy was brutal.

Peggy was barely holding on during this episode. Haley was doing really well. 

• Love 3

Whitney romancing Manfredi was a nice echo of the famous Lana Turner- Johnny Stompanato affair, the glamorous movie star and the mob guy.

I loved Manfredi's nonna. So fun. The actress looked like she was having a blast; it must be fun to have a job where you get to spit in disgust.

I can't even discuss the dance number. I'm too emotional about it. I can say I squeed aloud when Sousa tossed away his crutch with Astaire-like elan.

• Love 6

Back with more thoughts!

I thought this was a great set of episodes. I thought things had hit the fan last episode, but I was wrong. A lot of stuff happened.

Some random thoughts:

-The desert-like scenery reminded me Indiana Jones.

-I love Whitney Frost as a villain. She's a definite step up from last season's villain.

-also enjoying Manfredi a lot

-#StopPunchingSousa2k16

-based on what I saw in that dream of Angie (all two seconds of her), I question whether Angie would make it in the Hollywood business. Sorrynotsorry. It's not that I don't like Angie, it's just that the fandom has turned me off her character. It's not fair to Angie, but when I'm trying to scroll through tumblr and all I see is, "where's angie? Angie should have been in this season! There's so many things wrong with this season! This love triangle is the worst! Etc, etc. We want Angie!" It honestly gets on my nerves, and a part of me wants to never see her again. I'm sure if the actress was available they would have included her. Just Let it go already!

-Jason has been very meh overall for me. I'm trying to figure out what's going to happen to him (haven't researched his comic equivalent, and this is the mcu so they can change stuff). It looks like Whitney may have absorbed him based on the finale promo???

-if everyone has dirt on each other, what's the dirt on Peggy? Or Daniel?

Loved the fight between Jarvis and Peggy; they're the heart of the show.

I've enjoyed this season a lot. I haven't really had any problems with it, which puts me in the minority apparently.

• Love 2

The worst (only?) bad thing about Vernon being killed is that he didn't get to call anyone a dumbass before his demise (although I did enjoy him pointing out to Whitney that they got her too).

Jarvis making all sorts of promises to a comatose Ana was so painful and real. Anyone who has had a sick/dying/missing/in danger relative understands the bargains you are willing to make at that point, whether it's with yourself, a higher power, etc.

Also painful and real was the fight Carter and Jarvis had. It's only when someone knows you so well inside and out that they can hurt you like that.

LOVED the musical number! And it was integrated well since it was when Carter was knocked out. So many wacky things that your subconscious brings up when youre not awake.

Thompson finally got interesting. We had some glimpses here or there before this week's episodes but tonight he showed how astute he can be, assessing everyone, analyzing what was going on, coming up with plans, and playing everyone.

Samberly exaggerating his adventures to impress Rose was cute, and I like the way he is being integrated into the Scooby gang.

Even though they're the bad guys, I love how Manfredi obviously adores Whitney. It was so sweet to see him tell her she shouldn't hide the dark matter marks on her face. His nonna can stay too. Their spat over how he was making the sauce was fun.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 3

Some really excellent acting tonight but, once again, D'Arcy was fantastic - he is simply amazing as an actor - he hits the comedic notes, the emotional ones - all of it with such precision and impact.  

Where did this guy come from?  I can't recall ever seeing him before but will keep my eye out for him in the future and man, what a great role to have that is so dimensional - love him.  

As to the rest - just loved it.  

• Love 3

This season has been riveting. D’Arcy has been the best, although I have to say everyone in this show has great acting chops. The two-hour shows have been great. I just get my bowl of popcorn and watch this fascinating show like I’m at the movies. So sad that next week is the season finale.

• Love 3

Some really excellent acting tonight but, once again, D'Arcy was fantastic - he is simply amazing as an actor - he hits the comedic notes, the emotional ones - all of it with such precision and impact.  

Where did this guy come from?  I can't recall ever seeing him before but will keep my eye out for him in the future and man, what a great role to have that is so dimensional - love him.  

As to the rest - just loved it.  

Last season when this was airing, I was also watching Broadchurch. It took me all season to realize that he was Lee Ashworth because he was such a good actor playing such a different role that I didn't recognize him even when I watched Agent Carter and Broadchurch back to back. He was incredible tonight. The bedside scene was heartbreaking and the fight was even better.

• Love 5

By and large this season just hasn't done it for me. I love me some Agent Carter kicking ass, but so much has limited her bad-ass-ness this season. Peggy was always the one who could see the bigger picture, but now she's so up in her head about trying to save Wilkes she's willing to expose a man, who himself has said he's made peace with all of this himself for the greater good, to the population in an effort to save him? When earlier in show she was willing to let her shoot him to protect the information on the location of the rods? Ugh. Heck, even when Steve was crashing his plane it upset her, but she knew it was what had to be done.

Plus a musical number (have we learned nothing from Spider-Man 3?) focusing on Peggy's love triangle? Ugh, again it felt so marginalizing.

The other things that have kind of gotten to me. The two hour episodes. Matt Braunger's character. The inability to decide whether the show wants to be SSR focused or "covert, what needs to be done, we don't know who's watching" style, and the wholly neutered sub-villain that is Vernon Masters.

At least they wrote Thompson interestingly and competent this episode. He's a character that thinks he wants to politic, but really just cares about the mission and doing what he sees as right. He'll go get this file on Peggy because, he doesn't like that she has leverage on him, it's a straight-forward task from a superior, and he's still seduced by Masters' promises of power. Of course he needs Peggy's perspective to think even remotely critically about it, but when he does he focuses on doing the right thing, given the circumstances. He's a good competent agent, but not a good leader. Still he's the only one seeing clearly enough to end the threat.

Edited by Traveller519
  • Love 1

I only knew James D'Arcy from the very (VERY) short-lived THOSE WHO KILL that was filmed in Pittsburgh a few years ago (I did a couple of days work as an extra). He played an emotionally fragile genius criminal profiler and was a virtual doppelganger for HANNIBAL's Will Graham. I had a real hard time telling them apart; even the actors' names (James D'arcy / Hugh Dancy) were almost indistinguishable.
http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/those-who-kill-james-darcy.jpg
D'Arcy

https://teodoreljicdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/hannibal-will-behind-bars.jpg
Dancy

Edited by Gimmick Genius

The other things that have kind of gotten to me. The two hour episodes.

In the show's defense, the two hour episodes weren't intended to be shown as two hour episodes. The network moved the season premiere date so they doubled up on episodes this week and last week so that the season will still end at the same time as originally planned.

Well, the quickest way to ruin a show for me, is to throw in a song'n'dance routine.  Because Agent Carter isn't The Gong Show.  (But Peggy's singing deserved a gong.)

I'm not sure how I feel about the imagery of a black man, living in the forties, being turned invisible, having to live in a cage, being held against his will so someone can experiment on/torture him and turning into something that is not human.

Sets an unfortunate tone.  Sort of like casting Carl Anderson as Judas Iscariot in JC Superstar...

As soon as Enver showed up and started singing, I thought "Gene Kelly biopic."  If nothing else, the costuming was spot-on.

I'm also going to have assume her brother's not dead either since Sharon Carter exists.

Even if we know whether Sharon's last name is Carter, why are all Carters required to be related?

He's on Team Thompson, looking out for his own interests, as always.

I do think he sincerely wants to protect his country, but his ideas are more of-the-time than Peggy's.

• Love 3

Thanks EB.

I had figured something like that was the case. I can't recall what was airing in it's slot in early January, but I guess they had a reason. But given it's a Disney property on a Disney network, I still feel like it was a senior decision on the show that's made it harder to digest (for me anyway).

The show was set to start early January but the network didn't like the idea of having the premiere and then taking a break the next week for the State of the Union, so they waited until after the State of the Union to start the season. It's messed up the flow of things a little, but I do think the other option would have been worse.

• Love 3

Sets an unfortunate tone. Sort of like casting Carl Anderson as Judas Iscariot in JC Superstar...

It's funny. I saw both those things completely differently. Because (I'm pretty sure Judas talks about this) in both cases that position, of the designated villain, has been assigned to them by forces beyond their control, and they're faced with retribution for a crime they haven't committed. Then we judge them for how gracefully they handle it. It strikes me as an indictment of the no-win situation black men in this society face.

I do think [Thompson] sincerely wants to protect his country, but his ideas are more of-the-time than Peggy's.

He was willing to kill Wilkes for the sake of expediency. Even back then, it was frowned on to murder citizens for getting in the way, even if they were politically powerless. That seems more like Dottie or Whitney than Peggy.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

I only knew James D'Arcy from the very (VERY) short-lived THOSE WHO KILL that was filmed in Pittsburgh a few years ago (I did a couple of days work as an extra). He played an emotionally fragile genius criminal profiler and was a virtual doppelganger for HANNIBAL's Will Graham. I had a real hard time telling them apart; even the actors' names (James D'arcy / Hugh Dancy) were almost indistinguishable.

http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/those-who-kill-james-darcy.jpg

D'Arcy

https://teodoreljicdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/hannibal-will-behind-bars.jpg

Dancy

It's funny...I watched a TV movie on Fox many years ago called Virtuality.  It was produced by Ron Moore, who was trying to get it picked up as a series.  The pilot wasn't picked up and instead aired as a two-hour TV movie.  It was years before I found out the star of that was Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Jaime Lannister himself.  It was a few more years before I found out that the actor who played the doctor in it was James D'Arcy.  Pretty good cast, no?  The two of them must have remained friends as D'Arcy did a reading for a play NCW wrote last year.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/los-angeles/article/Piece-Project-VS-Theatre-Company-to-Offer-Reading-of-Nikolaj-Coster-Waldau-and-Joe-Derricks-CARDAMOM-Today-20150128#

I totally agree that Peggy has done some stupid things in order to save Wilkes and there can be no excuse for busting Dottie out of jail.

Edited by benteen
He was willing to kill Wilkes for the sake of expediency. Even back then, it was frowned on to murder citizens for getting in the way, even if they were politically powerless.

Wilkes held a gun on a SSR agent in order to steal nuclear weapons. He then helped a group of killers set off those nukes. The purpose he had for setting off those nukes is to create a dangerously unstable force that those killers have been using to murder people. The SSR has no way of containing that unstable force (only Wilkes was able to build something, but he clearly knows how to escape that force). Wilkes has started to also use that unstable force (to slip out of the truck).

Wilkes's allies just tried to have Thompson, Sousa and Samberly murdered in the desert. They also took Peggy and Jarvis hostage. Criminal law has long held that if somebody dies in the commission of a felony, all those people committee the felony are guilty of those murders.

Wilkes has long gone past the point of being a mere civilian. He may be a desperate, but that still doesn't give you the right to steal nuclear weapons and murder people. The group he chose to ally with is extremely dangerous. He may have changed his mind about allying with them, but Thompson doesn't know that.

If the Scooby gang doesn't stop Whitney when they can, more people could die. Truly innocent civilians. Are they just supposed to let that happen?

• Love 2