Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E11: She Hates Us

I am so tired of these whiny students. Poor Asher though. He killed that woman, but I feel for him. In some ways, he is so much more innocent than the rest of the students. 

Laurel can do so much better Frank. Why won't she just walk away? She would much better off with Wes. 

Oliver and Connor are still adorable despite everything.

• Love 5

They barely know Wes, they barely like him, but now they're all so concerned about him?  Not that I think they should wish him ill will or anything, but why the continued bending over backwards to make sure he's Ok?  He's such a tool.

Now that that's off my chest.  I was kind of bored with the first half of this episode, but it sure did pick up at the end.

• Love 4

I knew as soon as Laurel asked Frank that he would tell her he killed Lila. I hope we find out more of the story, and I hope it's the truth.

Glad the federal case from ten years ago is actually related to Rose, and I hope we see more of Eve soon!

No hallucinations though. Are we supposed to believe those just vanished?

Also, I'm gonna go ahead and say I've seen enough that it's not a fake pregnancy, but there's also no way it's at a stage that would be considered "miscarriage" if something goes wrong. And considering Annalise previously said somewhat snarkily "makes me grateful for all the miscarriages", I'd have a hard time believing she said that if she had a baby that was born alive, even if there were other miscarriages. I suppose some people might lump together stillbirth and miscarriage, though.

Interesting choice to put Wes in a psych ward for an episode, though. I wonder if there's going to be any long-term fallout or relevance of that to the storyline, because right now, the only thing I can think of is that the viewers understand why Wes is thinking a lot about his mother's death.

I was pretty excited to see Patricia Belcher as the judge. I hope she returns.

• Love 5

Personally I don't care about having a case of the week. I am so enthralled in the Anna's pregnancy/Christophe story. I'm also sure that Phillip made the video but I'm not so sure he killed the Hapstalls. Frank must really give a shit about Laurel for him to tell her that. Young Bonnie and pregnant Anna was sweet. It's too bad that relationship is now a mess. Connor/Oliver are adorable(especially Oliver). These kids need to get their shit together because they are in NO position to tell Anna to fuck off. I get that they are frustrated but a lot of that is on them as well. Also the whole "poor Wes" stuff is BS and super fucking annoying. He is the one who got the into this mess in the first place. I know this sounds horrible but I'm hoping Anna's baby is stillborn or dies of SIDS because I don't think I could be o.k. with a character that kills her child. Also was I the only one who when Sam was explaining to Anna why he was changing his shirt thought "Yeah, sure, oil. Your full of shit sam!"

• Love 6

At this point, I think every single member of The Keating 5 needs to go at season's end. They are the weak links in the show, they are such whiny, annoying, crybaby, twats. I think the core of the show are obviously Annalise, Bonnie (surprised to see myself write that) and until tonight's episode, I would have said Frank, but after the confession to Laurel, I know he is someone who is so desperate for validation that he can't see that Laurel was playing him. This means he can no longer be trusted and absent a major redemption, he is no longer trustworthy, if he ever was. After all, he killed Lila for Sam and has been lying to Ananlise about it from the beginning.

Come to think of it, the only person we haven't seen take part in an actual murder is Annalise. Yes she has covered the murders up, but the killers are Wes, Bonnie, Frank and Asher with assists from Laurel, Michaela andd Connor.

• Love 7

That was a good ep. I loved seeing young Bonnie and Frank (he clearly hasn't changed).

Speaking of Frank, I knew he was going to tell Laurel he killed Lila as soon as she fessed up about Wes shooting Annalise. For a minute I thought they were breaking them up so she could hook up with Wes. Not that being paired off stops folks from hooking up on this show, but they are pushing the Wes/Laurel connection quite a bit.

Michaela should have slapped Caleb and walked away when he insulted her. I don't care if she is helping to frame his sister.

Nice seeing Tom Verica again.

• Love 3

Laurel can do so much better Frank. Why won't she just walk away? She would much better off with Wes. 

I look forward to seeing what Laurel's full reaction is to Frank's news. Part of how her character was portrayed was that she was psycho and attracted to Frank because he was a bad boy. Now that she knows exactly how bad...

And no one would be better off with Wes. Although I think that doctor was digging what he had cooking though...

They barely know Wes, they barely like him, but now they're all so concerned about him?  Not that I think they should wish him ill will or anything, but why the continued bending over backwards to make sure he's Ok?  He's such a tool.

YMMV, but I don't think that any of the four really gave a crap about Wes. Note not one of them asked questions about how he was doing when they got him back. They were concerned that Wes would crack while he was in the looney bin, and then they'd be in for it because anything that Wes might say about Sam, Rebecca, DA Smug Face, or any number of things would backfire.

No hallucinations though. Are we supposed to believe those just vanished?

Also, I'm gonna go ahead and say I've seen enough that it's not a fake pregnancy, but there's also no way it's at a stage that would be considered "miscarriage" if something goes wrong. And considering Annalise previously said somewhat snarkily "makes me grateful for all the miscarriages", I'd have a hard time believing she said that if she had a baby that was born alive, even if there were other miscarriages. I suppose some people might lump together stillbirth and miscarriage, though.

Presumably Anna's no longer on the same drugs, so without the drugs, no hallucinations.

We now know she was actually pregnant because we saw her with an ultrasound. We haven't been told how far along she is in this instance. So I'm not sure why it couldn't be a miscarriage (i.e. a loss within the first 20 weeks). I am thinking there's a decent chance that there was an abortion. (just watched the Godfather Saga, so the scene where Kay is like, "I had an abortion, Michael!" is at the forefront of my mind.)

Personally I don't care about having a case of the week. I am so enthralled in the Anna's pregnancy/Christophe story. 

I actually thought the whole restorative justice vs. conventional justice system had some potential if it was expanded to a more full deal.

• Love 4

I'm assuming all flashbacks are the truth, and not to be viewed as subjective, like The Affair. If so, Sam was capable of being loving and supportive in the past.

It would seem Bonnie's been pregnant before and it seems like Annalise knew it. Please don't let it be her father's.

It's creepy that Annalise sent a young vulnerable Bonnie to Sam after what he did to her. I'm guessing that's how their bizarre relationship started.

If Anna doesn't flat out hate her baby, she's pretty ambivalent. I noticed she referred to him as "it" like she did hallucination baby. It's just not jibing with season one Anna who seemed tormented by the need for a child.

Anna is acting so strange with all the compulsive eating, extreme fatigue, and labile emotions. Surely we aren't headed for a hysterical pregnancy.

So Anna no longer has use of Laurel now that she has "my old Bonnie back". What does that even mean?

When did Asher and Bonnie split up? I don't buy that after risking so much to protect him that she would now abandon him.

I want more Connor and Oliver. I can never get enough of those two, and would watch an entire show of just the two of them.

The COTW was only okay, but I loved the flashbacks that are starting to fill in some of the questions I've had. It was interesting to see younger Bonnie and Frank and how they have evolved to what they are now. And I like getting more answers about the case from 10 years ago. 

And I still like all the Keating 5 kids, and I enjoy watching them bond and scheme against Annalise, though I hope Asher stops farting in front of Coliver. 

I was glad to see Michaela call out Caleb over screwing her first before telling her about the gun, because that is the same thought I have had since that episode. While I don't think Caleb is a whore or anything, I do give him some serious side eye for that choice. It does feel icky and opportunistic. 

I loved the ending, just because it has set up some potentially fiery storylines. I wonder just what Laurel will do with the knowledge that Frank killed Lila, because she is the only other living person who knows that (I think). She has interesting reactions to things, and I don't see her as the type to turn him in or even tell Annalise about it. And yes, I hope Frank tells Laurel WHY he killed Lila for Sam. And I am glad to see Phillip make a return. Phillip is a villain I can get behind, because I like the sinister and creepy side to this entire story (and it makes it more questionable if they will in fact get away with murder). 

• Love 1

Yea I don't get where all the pretending to care about wes or each other comes from, at least we know with Laurel she was pretty much told to by Annalise. The others I don't get. The Keating 5 still don't seem to like each other very much.

I think Laurel and Frank are one in that same. Too many hints she's from a corrupt family so covering for others, i.e., Wes and soon Frank, and not freaking out when ish goes bad are likely things she was trained to do. There's a reason she's pretty much a Bonnie/Frank in training. Annalise knows things about her and her family which is why she doesn't worry about her like the others and told her to lookout for Wes. She would've never asked Michaela, Connor, or Wes.

Michaela will be the next to go. They really don't know what the f to do with her. She's pretty much stuck in a bad rom com. Wes has the Anna connection, Connor is half of the most popular pairing on the show, Laurel is being training to be Bonnie and screwing Anna's right hand man, and Asher has the story with his father and the DA and is screwing Anna's right hand woman. They won't give Michaela anything good. The Caleb s/l is a drag IMO This is why I was hoping they would go for a Michaela/Wes hookup because it would put her in the middle of ish and on Annalise's radar, since Wes is the favorite. Giving her these hookup with characters that no one is invested, don't have ties to other characters, and wont even be sticking around long-term, does nothing for her character. I wouldn't mind Aiden and his mother returning at this point.

I can't even comment on the Anna/Wes baby s/l, except to say that I hope we find out what happened to wes's mom soon

If Anna doesn't flat out hate her baby, she's pretty ambivalent. I noticed she referred to him as "it" like she did hallucination baby. It's just not jibing with season one Anna who seemed tormented by the need for a child.

[...]

When did Asher and Bonnie split up? I don't buy that after risking so much to protect him that she would now abandon him.

I took Annalise's attitude towards the baby as trying to not get too attached in case something goes wrong with the pregnancy. She probably had at least one miscarriage before, so she's afraid of that happening again and won't allow herself to actually believe that the baby is okay.

Bonnie and Asher officially broke up in 2x03 when she believed he was cheating on her (when he was actually spying for Sinclair.) After that misunderstanding got cleared up it seemed like they might reconcile, but then Bonnie found out about Trotter Lake, so that killed any romantic interest she had in him. I'm sure she still cares about him, but I don't think they'll get together again any time soon.

• Love 2

Rose sure doesn't seem like a person suffering from depression. That scene with her and Annalise and the dossier was chilling because Rose comes across as anything but suicidal... until she sees the contents of Anna's folder, at which point all bets are off.

And yes, I'm sure Sam was changing his shirt for some less innocent reason than he claimed.

• Love 4

Loved, loved, LOVED all the flashbacks, especially getting into the history of Anna and Bonnie's relationship. Those two - both the actors and the characters - are my absolute favorite. The two actresses bring so much to their scenes, and their dynamic is fascinating to me.

The K5 can feel free to exit stage right any time. They are so whiny. I realize this would undermine keeping the actors on the show, but if the K5 hate everything Annalise so much, they could just quit. This 'you're so horrible, we're leaving' shtick gets repeated every episode and it's getting old. They sure as hell don't hesitate to call her when they need something, and then they behave like absolute entitled, self-obsessed brats. If I were being generous, I guess I could see their behavior as a way to process their own bad deeds - it's all really Annalise's fault; she's the evil one, not us. But it got old many, many episodes ago. If I were Anna at this point, I'd fire them and never answer my phone. Honestly, I don't think the show would suffer that much without the students.

Who was the guest star in the role of the mom? Because wow, she's amazing! I vote for her to be on the show and replace the K5.

It does seem like Bonnie's been pregnant before, which makes me worry.

Judging from appearance, Anna is waaaay too far along in those flashbacks for either a miscarriage or an abortion. At this point, it would either be a stillbirth or something happened after the baby's birth.

• Love 3

Amazing episode as always! Loved the flashbacks--Annalise wants to use Wes' mom as a witness to the Mahobey case, and something terrible happened. Both to Rose and to Annalise's unborn baby.

It's about time the Keating 5 stood up against Annalise

Edited by MH319
  • Love 1

Things have gotten incredibly grim. Which I guess is realistic considering all the murdering and covering up the murdering, but it's only season two. Dramas rarely ever get lighter as the series goes on and I can imagine HTGAWM becoming a complete chore to get through by season three. I'm catching up on Scandal, season four on Netflix and it's pretty much a slog because of the extremely bleak tone. I think the writers want to give Viola Davis juicy material but I'm not sure moving her from one huge dramatic crisis to the next is good for the character. 

Yea I don't get where all the pretending to care about wes or each other comes from, at least we know with Laurel she was pretty much told to by Annalise. The others I don't get. The Keating 5 still don't seem to like each other very much.

I like that about the Keating 5 dynamic. With maybe the exception of Laurel and Wes, they'll never be friends. Just five people bonded together by extremely unusual circumstances. 

• Love 3

Rose sure doesn't seem like a person suffering from depression. That scene with her and Annalise and the dossier was chilling because Rose comes across as anything but suicidal... until she sees the contents of Anna's folder, at which point all bets are off.

And yes, I'm sure Sam was changing his shirt for some less innocent reason than he claimed.

I missed the scene with Rose. Got to go back and see it. The episode felt like kind of a jumble. But I needed the sonogram with Sam present for a time and date stamp for evidence of a real pregnancy. I sort of don't want to know what happened to the baby. I can't think of anything positive.

Edited by Kira53

The more I watch, the more I hate watch the 5 (save for Connor when he's with Oliver) and the more I need Anna's story with the baby to speed up a bit.  I'm starting to zone out on this show considering the break neck speed it normally operates on, that's not good.

• Love 3

Interesting choice with the music.  "Ixode," the song that played under the last scenes, specifically Frank's confession, is by Zola Jesus, who also does the song "Run Me Out," that was played under the scene where we actually saw him killing Lila.  She's kind of a Russian version of Lady Gaga.  I wonder who the fan is.

They protest, but I think Michaela and Connor actually are friends.

• Love 4

Presumably Anna's no longer on the same drugs, so without the drugs, no hallucinations.

We now know she was actually pregnant because we saw her with an ultrasound. We haven't been told how far along she is in this instance. So I'm not sure why it couldn't be a miscarriage (i.e. a loss within the first 20 weeks). I am thinking there's a decent chance that there was an abortion. (just watched the Godfather Saga, so the scene where Kay is like, "I had an abortion, Michael!" is at the forefront of my mind.)

She was off the drugs at the end of last episode, too - that's why the hallucinations then were so important.

We haven't been told how far along she is, but there is no way she is less than 20 weeks at that size. She looks like she's approaching term, definitely third trimester.

I highly doubt it was a (legal) abortion at that stage of a pregnancy.

So Anna no longer has use of Laurel now that she has "my old Bonnie back". What does that even mean?

She told Laurel she needed her to be her "new Bonnie", and Laurel asked "what happened to the old Bonnie?" - so, "old Bonnie" = Bonnie, and "new Bonnie" = Laurel.

I don't think we have seen nearly enough of Rose to be able to say whether or not she had depression. I believe she was pretty well okay until Annalise started messing with her life, but there is no way we can judge whether or not Rose had pre-existing depression or suicidality prior to her and Annalise meeting. Many people with depression or who are suicidal hide it well.

I definitely agree though that Sam's shirt change was incredibly suspicious. And I also think it's kind of funny that this show has us so suspicious of a character changing his shirt.

Interesting choice with the music.  "Ixode," the song that played under the last scenes, specifically Frank's confession, is by Zola Jesus, who also does the song "Run Me Out," that was played under the scene where we actually saw him killing Lila.  She's kind of a Russian version of Lady Gaga.  I wonder who the fan is.

I found this music kind of distracting at the end. I would have preferred silence. Or even, 'The Sound of Silence' :P

Interesting that it was the same artist as when we saw him killing Lila, though - that's a nice parallel, albeit not one that I (and probably most of the audience) would have noticed if it wasn't explicitly pointed out :)

• Love 2

Wow, I didn't realize how much I missed Sam until I saw him in the flashback. And it's so sad to see how genuinely (it seemed) excited he was about the baby and was playing the role of supportive hubby to Annalise to know just how freakin' ugly it got between them in the end. Still, when you see that quick shot of Annalise shrieking over Sam's dead body, as much as she hated him, she still felt pain and thus loss over his death.

Loved the Keating 5 all piled into Connor's car. And I felt for Asher when he said that at least Wes was able to get some of his ish off his chest and had someone to talk to. For all everyone is trying to physically be there for Asher, no one - not even Bonnie - is there for him emotionally. He's so lonely and alone with what he did. I kind of want to see him bunk with Wes a bit. I think Asher could unload on him and Wes would nod his head in understanding 'Right there with ya, bro. Drink?'

Not feeling Michaela's pain over getting played since she's involved in two murder conspiracies and was playing Caleb for her own agenda as well even as she has feelings for her. Yeah, he slept with you for his own agenda, too. And yet you have some kind of higher moral ground because...? Still, loved Michaela leaving Annalise speechless with her snark about Annalise taking all those naps, LOL. It was all in the delivery.

Edited by TobinAlbers
  • Love 1

In defense of the K5:

The first year of law school is notorious for being rough in the best of conditions. 

On top of that, the K5 have been worked nonstop by AK, who is ruthless and harsh as their boss. They have done the legwork for something like a dozen, two dozen trials, (which IRL is probably 6 times as many trials than the average attorney specializing in trials would have to worry about in a year, and probably more trials than the average attorney works in a lifetime).

On top of that, the K5 have collectively been involved in two murders and their coverups, an attempted murder, and a kidnapping.

Then they have had their individual dramas: Wes with the threat and disappearance of someone he loved; Michaela with learning her fiance was gay, being dumped by him and then breaking it off with him; Connor with actually developing feelings for someone and then learning that someone is HIV+, Asher with the realization his father was actually not the paragon he'd held himself out to be, and then having his father commit suicide; Laurel with falling for someone she's now learned is a murderer.

I think that they deserve to have the occasional freakout.

Edited by Chicago Redshirt
  • Love 9

1. So Anna no longer has use of Laurel now that she has "my old Bonnie back". What does that even mean?

2. When did Asher and Bonnie split up? I don't buy that after risking so much to protect him that she would now abandon him.

1. The show just confirmed what many, including. Posters on this site suspected, that Annalise was grooming Laurel to be her replacement for Bonnie when she and Bonnie were on the outs. Now that Bonnie seems to have returned to her old self, and Rebecca challenged Annalise, she no longer sees Laurel as a suitable protege.

2. I wondered this as well. Last we saw, Bonnie and Asher were thick as thieves. I suspect the breakup and Bonnie's return to Annalise, along with Asher insinuating himself into Connor's life while clearly spying on him is a long con the two are running.

I found this music kind of distracting at the end. I would have preferred silence. Or even, 'The Sound of Silence' :P

Interesting that it was the same artist as when we saw him killing Lila, though - that's a nice parallel, albeit not one that I (and probably most of the audience) would have noticed if it wasn't explicitly pointed out :)

I think my favorite part is that the song's lyrics are "I did it all" repeated over and over again.  I may be the one person who caught it, but for my minuscule fraction of the audience, I thought it was damned clever.

I must be the only one who actually enjoys the K5, huh?

No, you're not.  I am not fond of Wes (although Laurel makes him a lot more tolerable), but I really do like the rest of them.  I even winced when Annalise threw Laurel overboard for Original Recipe Bonnie.  And I love the slowly-evolving frenemies-to-actual-friends relationship between Michaela and Connor.

Maybe one day we'll get a Rashomon-style episode where we see the same event from each of the K5's perspective.  They've kind of done that with the flashbacks, but I think it would be an interesting way to look at their current situation, and probably give a lot of insight into what each REALLY thinks of Annalise.

I think they were concerned that he'd narc on them or that he'd do something off the wall because he does have a habit doing that like conspiring with Nate to secretly investigate Annalise. About the first, Pennsylvania is a Tarasoff state and if Wes had articulated a threat to harm someone else that resident would have to inform law enforcement. However, everything else Wes says to her including killing Sam, shooting Annalise, and framing Catherine is confidential. About the second, Wes is basically a shut in now which limits his ability to do something crazy.

• Love 2

I definitely agree though that Sam's shirt change was incredibly suspicious. And I also think it's kind of funny that this show has us so suspicious of a character changing his shirt.

I had to laugh - this is the same show where we had a huge discussion as to if Anni actually baked the peach cobbler she brought to Nate herself or if Bonnie did it - constant vigilance is needed to keep up with all their shenanigans lol!

Edited by buffy11bnl
  • Love 2

I had to laugh - this is the same show where we had a huge discussion as to if Anni actually baked the peach cobbler she brought to Nate herself or if Bonnie did it - constant vigilance is needed to keep up with all their shenanigans lol!

I didn't watch the entire show yet, but I did see the scene with Sam and his shirt and as soon as he came out of that room I thought to myself, what was he up to in there. He just has a sleazy look; yet, on his way out kissing Anna's stomach, he seemed sweet and genuine.

I'll repeat it again, please show don't go there. Do not have it that Anna killed her baby because I'm not going to be able to handle that one.  The line is drawn and love and watch for Viola, but that will have gone to far for me.

• Love 1

The only student I unequivocally like is Connor.  I mostly like Michaela except for when she is obsessed with Caleb, or her gay pre-nup boyfriend, because, well, she's pretty.  The rest of them can suck an egg and die.  I have never liked Wes and he can die now.  I have never liked Asher and I couldn't care less about his guilt over the Sinclair murder and his dead dad.  I don't care for Laurel and her holier-than-thou attitude.

Speaking of Laurel, when the students staged their walkout, why was she still there?  She had been fired by Annalise earlier in the show.  It was apparently then the next day since she was in a different dress, and yet she was still there, with nothing said about her being fired.

The more this show focuses on Wes, the more I am losing interest.  No one else is getting a backstory like he is in the Christophe flashbacks.

It was nice seeing Sam, and I liked that he actually seemed to look younger than he did when he was previously on the show, as he should have, since it was 10 years earlier.

As Annalise said, all of these people should be in jail many times over.  I hope this show decides to kill one of the main characters off at the end of this season.  As long as it's not Connor or Michaela.

• Love 2

Just to throw this out there...could Annalise be a surrogate?

You mean, the baby she's carrying isn't genetically hers or Sam's?

It's possible - we've not seen anything that says it's definitely not a possibility - but I don't think it's very likely, based on Sam's behaviour. Also, if Annalise had had numerous miscarriages in the past, that makes her a pretty poor choice as a surrogate, imo. If anything, she would be the one trying to find a surrogate, rather than acting as one herself.

And, this is speculation and doesn't really prove anything whether it's correct or not, but I think the hallucinated baby is the baby that Annalise is pregnant with in the flashbacks, and that baby seemed like he could be mixed race - lighter skin than Annalise's but darker than Sam's - and thus is believable as their genetic offspring. I know the real genetics of skin colour are much more complicated than that (hence why two apparently white parents can have a child that looks black and vice versa) but I could believe that the hallucinated baby is Sam and Annalise's. Of course, this doesn't mean she couldn't be a surrogate for another mixed race baby, and we also don't know for sure that the hallucinated baby is the baby Annalise was pregnant with. But, for reasons listed above, I don't believe she was a surrogate, and I'm also choosing to believe that the hallucinated baby is the one she was pregnant with in the flashbacks because storytelling-wise, that makes the most sense at this point (but I know I could very easily be proven wrong on this point). 

Speaking of Laurel, when the students staged their walkout, why was she still there?  She had been fired by Annalise earlier in the show.  It was apparently then the next day since she was in a different dress, and yet she was still there, with nothing said about her being fired.

I'm pretty sure she was only fired from being "New-Bonnie," not from the K5.  Annie even said she had "her old Bonnie back," so no longer needed her (Laurel) to continue being her stand-in.

• Love 8

2. I wondered this as well. Last we saw, Bonnie and Asher were thick as thieves. I suspect the breakup and Bonnie's return to Annalise, along with Asher insinuating himself into Connor's life while clearly spying on him is a long con the two are running.

Bonnie and Asher split up when Sinclair sent him the picture of Tiffany (the girl from Trotter Lake) and Bonnie assumed that he was cheating; the split was made final and definite after Bonnie found out about Trotter Lake and was disgusted with Asher.

Not feeling Michaela's pain over getting played since she's involved in two murder conspiracies and was playing Caleb for her own agenda as well even as she has feelings for her. Yeah, he slept with you for his own agenda, too. And yet you have some kind of higher moral ground because...? Still, loved Michaela leaving Annalise speechless with her snark about Annalise taking all those naps, LOL. It was all in the delivery.

In Michaela's defence, it wasn't really pain over getting played. Caleb insulted her by calling her a whore and she defended herself... She wasn't claiming any moral high ground, she was just pointing out to Caleb that when it comes to the motivation for their hook-up he can't claim it either.

• Love 2

I felt bad for Nate, waiting on Annalise's doorstep.

Really? Why? She wasn't home. He didn't call ahead to see if she was in. She didn't make him do anything. It not like she was home, looked out him on the steps and just would let him in. Or did I fall asleep again? Earlier I said I need to see the episode again (maybe fast forward it at least).

I don't think that Caleb really meant what he said about just wanting to get laid. It seemed to me that he was hurt by what Michaela said to him. And honestly, as good looking as he is and heir to billions, I doubt he has trouble getting laid. I think he was caring about her but got hurt when he felt manipulated by her and AK.

Why did Wes's doctor say "Wes, We were so close. AK, the professor you work for that got shot." Wesley said,"That has nothing to do with this." Doctor says" That's where we disagree." Scene shifts. I notice this the first time and was confused. I watched again and I checked the closed caption. Still confused about this. Can anyone clear this up for me?

Really? Why? She wasn't home. He didn't call ahead to see if she was in. She didn't make him do anything. It not like she was home, looked out him on the steps and just would let him in. Or did I fall asleep again? Earlier I said I need to see the episode again (maybe fast forward it at least).

I don't think that Caleb really meant what he said about just wanting to get laid. It seemed to me that he was hurt by what Michaela said to him. And honestly, as good looking as he is and heir to billions, I doubt he has trouble getting laid. I think he was caring about her but got hurt when he felt manipulated by her and AK.

Why did Wes's doctor say "Wes, We were so close. AK, the professor you work for that got shot." Wesley said,"That has nothing to do with this." Doctor says" That's where we disagree." Scene shifts. I notice this the first time and was confused. I watched again and I checked the closed caption. Still confused about this. Can anyone clear this up for me?

I agree about Nate and Caleb!

What are you confused about in the scene with Wes and the doctor? What did you notice?

I did fall asleep just before the Rose scene. Poor Rose, she thought she has made a friend but instead it was devious AK telling her not to be afraid. "Who are you?" AK Promising things she couldn't control. IMHO, when Eve and AK were looking at Christophe through the police mirror they don't seem to be believing it it was suicide. Frank offering to accompany AK for protection suggests there was someone or more than one violent people involved in that case.

The case of the week with Jason and the mother was strangely moving. Great actors. The Themes of mother instincts and the injustice of the justice system. Mother "adopts" her son's killer in the end. Telling the truth and being remorseful gets you more punishment. Jason could have gotten away with murder. Why was AK against him? She usually want her client to get away with murder. It seemed to me she wanted the mother not to help him (based on the bathroom scene). In a parallel theme to the COTW, what will happen to Frank now that he told the truth to Laurel about killing Lila? Maybe she just won't believe it. Will telling the truth be better or worst for him? Frank even looked like he had feelings, remorse, regret? Something than just a cold blooded killer.

And AK giving Wes the file. Does she have a death wish? Wes already shot her more than she planned, she protected herself with the statue, Wes used a statue to hit Sam........ I hope she doesn't push Wes over the edge. I mean the has to be some kind of cliffhanger at the end of this season. Somehow that case 10 years ago could have been the cause of her losing her baby. Didn't she say Wes ruined her life?

A lot of things were set in motion in tonight's episode. Relationships are going to shift as well.

• Love 1

I agree about Nate and Caleb!

What are you confused about in the scene with Wes and the doctor? What did you notice?

The doctor said, "We were so close" Who was the "we" the doctor was referring to? I rewound the scene more than 8 times in two viewings and read the closed caption. I just didn't understand why the Doctor said to Wes, "We were so close". What am I missing? Did they cut something out of the episode or that scene? It struck me as very confusing the first time I watched it. I always do closed caption and it didn't just make sense when I first watched it. If you look at my original post about this I copied the dialogue directly from the closed caption. Confusing. I think it has to be an editing mistake. I don't usually watch it a second time but since I fell asleep and missed the Rose scene I went back to catch that but I still could make sense of the last interchange the doctor has with Wes.

The doctor said, "We were so close" Who was the "we" the doctor was referring to? I rewound the scene more than 8 times in two viewings and read the closed caption. I just didn't understand why the Doctor said to Wes, "We were so close". What am I missing? Did they cut something out of the episode or that scene? It struck me as very confusing the first time I watched it. I always do closed caption and it didn't just make sense when I first watched it. If you look at my original post about this I copied the dialogue directly from the closed caption. Confusing. I think it has to be an editing mistake. I don't usually watch it a second time but since I fell asleep and missed the Rose scene I went back to catch that but I still could make sense of the last interchange the doctor has with Wes.

I think it was that she knew he was holding back something else, but i can't remember what that was. About Annalise being shot? It didn't have my full attention, so I left it on the DVR to watch when I'm more awake.

No, everything you wrote from closed captioning is right and corresponds with what I heard, so that's why I asked - I didn't understand what part was confusing you since it matched perfectly with how I remembered the scene. The way I interpreted it, "we" referred to the doctor and Wes. She meant that the two of them were getting so close to actually making "progress" in terms of Wes talking about what was bothering him, but when he said there was nothing else, she knew he had to be lying because she knew who he worked for and what had happened to Annalise.

Edited by secnarf
  • Love 6

I know, the show can only serve so many characters per week and Wes and Annalise are clearly the main focus of the show, but Asher is acting way too normal and together right now.

Possibly, but I think it's because he's in denial. He's shown to believe his father was murdered, which could very well be true. I even thought that when Asher's dad was found dead. Plus, it's shown that he's been coping through alcohol. We saw him offer Wes a drink and he's been shown with drinks throughout the episode. I don't think he's doing well at all, especially when he has nobody. Connor/Oliver tried to pawn him off to Michaela, which he knows. They all feign their concern, but none of them are truly there for him. The emotional support is not there, and Asher is well aware of that. Add to his crappy mother, and add to the fact that he saw the others care more about Wes' wellbeing, and I can imagine him throwing himself into denial and into his father's suicide just to deal with it. 

Damn, the case of the week? Actually engaging and interesting for once. I loved the mother, and I loved Jason.

Laurel? Really? Stop punishing Wes? Dude deserves it! Seriously, he's messed up and needed to be there, and he's gotten all of you in these messes in the first place! I am actually not happy with all of them snapping at Annalise. Like, I know she's gotten you in some messes, but she is recovering from a gunshot wound. She couldn't have even prepared for that. If she wants to have a damn nap, then let her have a damn nap! And usually, I'm ok when people stand up to Annalise, because she is a master manipulator who deserves a lot. And besides, Annalise wanted someone to shoot her in the leg, not in the stomach and certainly not almost another fatal shot. 

Frank! Seriously? You're falling for the girl, so you tell her about Lila? Honestly, I love how there was one character who had a secret that nobody but us, the audience, and Sam knew! Noo! Not that I think Laurel will blab to anyone (at least, not yet, not until she needs to), but I'm just disappointed that Frank has fallen so hard for Laurel that he'd risk getting put in jail. At least he did shady things but nobody could really prove anything. Now, Laurel might dig further and figure out that he buried Rebecca's body, and probably a whole lot more crimes for Annalise. Or, perhaps that'll just make their sex life more interesting. Either way, dumb!

The flashbacks were only interesting because we got to see young Bonnie and Annalise bonding. Actually, also seeing Sam again. I'm trusting the flashbacks for now, because I have to believe Annalise fell for Sam for a reason. Maybe the potential miscarriages and the struggle with having children changed Sam. Or not, who really knows.

I don't love Wes, but I also don't hate him. That being said, I'm ready to move on to other characters. I'd love to know more about Connor or Laurel. Michaela even would be a nice change, but Wes has too much going on and I'd like to take a backseat from him. 

• Love 1

When she was saying, "We were so close," what she meant was "You and I had almost gotten to the point were you revealed enough of the truth of what you were going through that I would have lifted the psych hold. But then you went back to holding things back."

• Love 3

Frank! Seriously? You're falling for the girl, so you tell her about Lila? Honestly, I love how there was one character who had a secret that nobody but us, the audience, and Sam knew! Noo! Not that I think Laurel will blab to anyone (at least, not yet, not until she needs to), but I'm just disappointed that Frank has fallen so hard for Laurel that he'd risk getting put in jail. At least he did shady things but nobody could really prove anything. Now, Laurel might dig further and figure out that he buried Rebecca's body, and probably a whole lot more crimes for Annalise. Or, perhaps that'll just make their sex life more interesting. Either way, dumb!

I still have to wonder about both of their motives.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find that Laurel was faking tears and potentially leaving him in order to weasel some information from him, and even better if it's good blackmail material. I'm not sure if it's the actress or a deliberate acting/directing choice, but every time Laurel cries, I question her sincerity.

Frank, for his part, very likely has ulterior motives for wanting to keep Laurel close. He saw her slipping away, so told her something that would make her believe that (a) he's being truthful with her and (b) wants to be with her badly enough that he's confessing to murder. At the same time, he likely knows the murder is impossible to prove at this point, and there is no way Laurel is going to want to drag all of that up again lest her own role in Sam's death comes to light, so he's pretty safe telling her. He knows her father is involved in sketchy things so she is less likely to reject him solely on account of him being a murderer, and if he can spin a sympathetic tale, all the better.

Apropos of nothing, every time I read your username, secnarf, I hear it in Pinky's voice and laugh a little to myself.

Glad it makes you laugh :) I've never thought about it that way before!

The actress who played the mother of the dead son was spectacular. I was so invested in her struggle even though I know she was a one-off.

I'm still loving all the flashbacks, especially the ones between Annalise and Bonnie. Damn, there used to be a time when Annalise actually liked her! Viola and Liza are also really good at "acting" 10 years younger...there's only so much makeup can do to age someone downwards but their mannerisms and tone of voice are really helping the credibility. Also, did anyone notice that Annalise's interns ten years ago were basically carbon copies of the ones she has now? Bonnie was Laurel, the woman Frank was flirting with was Michaela, there was a young black man who kind of resembled Wes, and the other guy had a beard like Connor. I guess that makes Frank Asher lol, even though he was an assistant, not an intern. Which actually kind of makes sense, cuz Asher was quite the player before shit started crumbling around him.

Aw man, I was waiting for Frank to drop the Lila bomb. You could tell how much he was struggling between his two options but I was really surprised that he fessed up. I'm interested to see how Laurel reacts.

I loved the scene in the car with the K5. It's such an interesting dynamic they have. Laurel/Wes and Michaela/Connor kind of vibe with each other but for the most part they're just five people who have been forced together by tragic circumstances and have to be there for one another out of obligation and self-preservation, not because they actually like one another. It makes things more unpredictable and is more enjoyable to watch than if they were just a merry band of murderers.

• Love 3
I must be the only one who actually enjoys the K5, huh?

No - I love watching their interactions. That's one of my favorite parts of the show! The car scene last night was cute - in that morbid HTGAWM way. Speaking of which, was that a new car Connor was driving?

Thoughts after re-watching:

-I really liked the case of the week for this ep. I thought the guest actors (Paula Newsome & Carlos Miranda) were both amazing. The fact that Jason was (finally, belatedly) taking responsibility for his actions made for a damning contrast with our main characters.

-I liked those scenes of Happy Annalise & Sam.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 3