Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Watch The Throne

Stinger97

Let me see if I can gather my thoughts for this one:

- Lexa wasn't chosen as the Commander for no reason. Not only did she win her fight but she had Plans B, C, D & E all in place if she lost. She won and not only got her vengeance but she's made a very shrewd political move by sparing Roan's life and making him the King of the Ice Nation. She also cleans up really well :)

- Clarke is my favourite little schemer. Unfortunately, Polis is full of schemers who've been doing it for much longer than she has. At least her side won right?

- Monty finally did the right thing by leaving Jasper. Enough is enough and Jasper needs to figure things out for himself.

- Nightbloods. I really want the background on that.

- Lincoln should've listened to Octavia. The Sky People are never going to accept him.

- No Raven tonight :(

- No Jaha & friends either :)

- Bellamy...sigh. After tonight, I definitely wouldn't put him in charge of anything because he's too easily manipulated. Not only that but he never seems to take a second to step back and THINK.

- Pike is the Donald Trump of this world isn't he?

Lastly, maybe the Grounders have it right. Keep as many men as far away from leadership positions as possible. So far, none of them have done a lot of good (except for Kane).

• Love 5

I hate that they're making Bellamy a reactionary hothead who won't see reason. That's never been his MO. I believed to the very end he was setting them up for a fall. Instead he's apparently drinking the koolaid.

Jasper and his manpain can leave my screen any time now. I was over his whining 3 episodes back.

Calling it now. If the pending slaughter of the Grounder army happens, Lincoln is going to go into full beast mode. He is so ready to snap, and that will probably do it.

• Love 4

I'm just so disappointed in Bellamy's development. It's rushed, it's a total mess and no, I don't think you come back from that kind of thing. Over two years you carefully, thoughtfully bring along a character, only to chuck it all in three episodes. And Pike has no nuance, no layers. He's just a one-note character designed to help Bellamy along in his...anti-redemption. 

I miss Clarke interacting with her people. I missed Raven. Jasper is the worst. There was a buildup and all kinds of promotion for the Ice Queen and she lasted less than an episode.

This season has not lived up to last season by a long shot. I expected more and this season it's starting to look more like a run-of-the-mill CW show. 

ETA: Maureen Ryan brings up similar concerns in a post-show interview with Jason Rothenberg. His answers don't comfort me much.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/features/the-100-bellamy-betrayal-chancellor-pike-grounders-1201697285/

Edited by Minneapple
  • Love 6

I don't know Bellamy was a reactionary hothead in season one. I just caught up with this last year so his attitude is still fresh in my mind. However I don't think he should've regressed so quickly.

Maybe Clarke and Bellamy need to be by each others side (not necessarily as a couple) but together they make each other better.

The ice queen was a waste. Lexa is smarter then I gave her credit for. She solved everyone's problem. Except now one note villain will screw everything up because he hates all Grounders and can't understand reason. They couldn't come up a better villain then that cliche?

• Love 1

God, at least with Pike, as alarmist and ignorant as he is, he has some reason to hate the Grounders.  His group landed in a more hostile section and were constantly being killed.  But Bellamy??  The Arkers worked with the Grounders, Bellamy knows several of them (Lincoln, Indra, etc), he saw Octavia become initiated into tri-kru, he saw his group become the 13th clan.  He knows that an alliance is beneficial.  And yet his girlfriend of 5 minutes dies from an Ice Nation member and he hates all Grounders, even the ones who have proven to be his allies?  Could he be any more easily manipulated??  And going as far as to massacre 300 people who are there to protect him and his friends?  It's too much.  Although I do think it is in character for him to be reactionary and not think things through, he's showed that numerous times.  Most recently when he was pursuing Clarke and Roan.  I'm hoping he's not as involved in the coming massacre as it seems because otherwise it really does seem to be something he can't come back from.  

Pike can die at any time.  And he can take pissbaby Jasper with him.  Yes, it's sad Maya died, but literally everyone has lost people?  I can't take much more of his drunken whining and dragging Monty down.  Monty's needed to convince his mom to stop following Trump 2.0 Pike!  

Loved Lexa and Roan's fight scene, loved Lexa getting her revenge on the Ice Queen, loved Clarke trying to poison the Ice Queen, even if she was unsuccessful.  Her and Lexa are so much alike and both are so clever.  The Nightbloods intrigue me and I'm looking forward to learning more about that storyline.  Lincoln continues to be awesome.  And yay for no Jaha this episode!  I did miss Raven though.

This show is so intense (in a good way)!  It's hard to live up to Season 2 but I've been very entertained with this season thus far and it's one of the few shows that I try to watch live.   

Edited by Kate213
  • Love 2

So, how long before the Olympics are over in Polis ?  What with that massive flame burning on top of the tower, which must be a pain to keep burning 24 hours a day.

A vote of non-confidence -- really ?  So they are ripping off some of the worst elements of the Star Wars prequels.  What's next -- is Jar Jar going to show up ?

Did I miss an episode -- all of a sudden Clarkie seems incredibly knowledgeable about Grounder politics, despite only finding out about Polis and the council a couple of days ago.

And now Lincoln is quoting Chumbawumba lyrics.

So the Nightbloods actually have black blood -- so how does that work exactly ?  Was the first commander some sort of radioactive mutant infected by Venom from the Spiderman comics ?

If 'heda' means leader or commander, what does 'wanheda' mean ?  Incredibly stupid leader/commander.

There seems to be an awful lot of alcohol available in Arkadia.

Bellamy gets a time out and probably will lose his gun locker key privileges.  Oh nooeeeeesss !!!

And now we are going to get a write-in candidate for the Arkadia election.  Ugggh.  And of course Pike wins.

The Jasper drama is just so boring.

• Love 2

I guess I might still be giving Bellamy the benefit of the doubt, but I kind of feel sorry for him.  The thing is, he genuinely trusted Echo, and he got badly burned by it, and I don't know that there are many other grounders (besides Lincoln, maybe) that he would feel more inclination to trust.  I think that he was having a sort of crisis of confidence and Pike took advantage of that, because Pike's the worst.  That's not to say that it excuses what he did, but I can see where it was coming from.

I loved all the Polis stuff this episode.  It was interesting, to me, to see Clarke and Lexa's different approaches to problems.  Like, Lexa's very zen and confident that, even if it doesn't work out the way she wants it to, it'll work out the way it's supposed to, so she lets the Ice Queen attempt her coup and issue her challenge.  On the other hand, Clarke's seen way too many things go to shit, so she's running around trying to find some way that she won't have to leave anything to chance.  I also really like that Lexa's whole thing about separating her emotions from ruling also means forgiving most of the people who tried to kick her out.

I'm kind of hoping that Jasper gets lost in the woods on his way back to Arkadia and everyone's too busy with more interesting things to either notice or care.  Also, did I miss his actual reason for stealing Finn's ashes, or was it just to be a dick?

• Love 4

Everything in Polis was fantastic.  From a tense political standoff between Lexa and the Ice Queen, to Clarke nearly pulling off a daring assassination, to that awesome fight scene between Lexa and Roan to the Ice Queen getting speared in the chest (!!).  All of it was top tier stuff, and absolutely goes to show why The 100 is one of the best shows around.  Unfortunately the rest of the show didn't hit the same level of quality, which is fairly rare misstep. 

I get where Pike is coming from - Farm Station has been hounded day and night since they landed, being killed off one by one by the Grounders.  Then suddenly, they're rescued!  Other Arkers have survived and they've established a pretty neat home!  Oh and by the way - the Grounders are our friends now!  Pike hasn't stopped fighting the Grounders, and can't accept that there's peace.  There hasn't been any decisive victory, to end a war, and he's stuck in the mindset of Grounder = enemy.  I think Micheal Beach is doing a really good job of portraying that.

As for Bellamy... well he hasn't exactly been the greatest at making good decisions in the past (just remember his season 1 actions, where he was 'kill the grounders!', plus that massively selfish decision to steal the radio from Raven's ship which led to the culling of 300 people on the Ark, and the destruction of Grounder villages from the flares The 100 were forced to launch to alert the Ark).  And when you consider that in Season 2 he spent the first half trying to find Clarke and the others (believing they'd been captured by Grounders) to watching the Grounders have Finn be executed and Raven get lashed over a misunderstanding, to then spending the last half of the season infiltrating Mount Weather... He's had almost no interaction with the Grounders as a people. 

Having said all that however, I don't think they've done enough justification to show exactly why Bellamy is not differentiating between Ice Nation and Loyalist Coalition Grounders.  Surely Octavia and Lincoln would be able to give him a crash course in Grounder politics?  Or Kane?  Or what about Clarke - he's seen that she's pretty committed to Lexa's coalition in spite of Lexa's actions at Mount Weather.  They show just needs to show why Bellamy is not respecting that.  Maybe it will down the track, but right now it seems really random that he's suddenly all about slaughtering grounders indiscriminately.

• Love 5

All the Polis stuff was great, save for the premature death of the Ice Queen. I get this show likes its shocking deaths, but surely she could have been mined for more drama. I was looking forward to finding out more about Costia and the beef Nya had with Lexa. Obviously SOMETHING fairly massive had to have gone down between them, but it doesn't look like we'll ever know now.

As for the Grounder/Arkadia stuff - this was season 1 levels of stupidity. How difficult would it have been for Kane to trot over to the Grounder army and say: "look guys, we appreciate the protection, but we've got some riled up civilians who are busy mourning for their dead and they don't like that you're camped out on their doorstep. Do you mind backing up a bit and using Lincoln/Indra as go-betweens until things calm down?" 

Bellamy - not sure I'm buying what the writers are selling. I get that he's hurting, but massacring Grounders is so obviously a terrible idea, and one that could easily put Clarke in danger (he doesn't know Lexa - what if she decides to retaliate by sending back Clarke's head?) that it's difficult to feel too much sympathy. 

• Love 6

Damn, the Polis stuff was some straight-up Game of Thrones-like posturing, maneuvering, and, in the end, Trial by Combat!  But thankfully, Lexa faired much better then The Viper did, and not only managed to beat Roan, but just spears The Ice Queen in front of everyone.  Because she's Lexa, and she's a badass who doesn't give a fuck.  Even though I'm bummed that Brenda Strong is already out of the picture (unless she somehow survives that like Jasper did), but that was an epic way to end the battle.  And then there was the scene when Clarke redressed her wound, and Eliza Taylor and Alycia Debham-Carey are back to making me want Clarke/Lexa to happen, despite what happened to them last season.  Stop it, you two!

Of course, I hope they are prepared for the shitstorm that is coming thanks to Pike and Bellamy.  So, they're just anti-Grounder now and there is another at the Arc who are down with their "us versus them' mentality, that Pike is now the new Chancellor.  And he is already sending a group of men to mow down a group of Grounders who are actually trying to protect them.  I can only hope the reason Abby wasn't there with Kane, was because he sent her to the camp to be all "Hey, guys?!  Our group just got taken over by some bigoted assholes who are a bit trigger happy, so maybe y'all should scram!"  If not, then Kane's kind of a dick to just leave them to dry.

Bellamy though, is back to being a season one idiot.  They really should have spent more time on his relationship with Gina if this is where they wanted to go with him, because it feels like he regressed way too easily, and I just can't buy that he wouldn't realize that it is the Ice Nation who did this, and not all Grounders.  I hope he realizes this soon, but I sadly suspect they're setting it up to pit him against Octavia (and Lincoln), because what better drama then pitting siblings against each other?

I know I should feel for Jasper, but I am so with Monty at this point.  Maybe he should just join Jaha and the City of the Light story.  He'd be happier, I think.

• Love 2

I didn't like this episode for a lot of reasons but the main one would be Bellamy's rushed anti Grounder sentiment. 

Pike doesn't have a lot of depth as a character but I can understand where he's coming from, many of his people were killed by the Ice Nation and not enough time has passed between fighting for survival and his people dying at Mt. Weather for his stance to soften and allow for nuance. It's depressingly typical but I can even understand why he got elected, before the destruction of Mt. Weather he wouldn't have stood a chance but now he wins by a landslide. 

But Bellamy knows better, he knows Trikru aren't Ice Nation and there's more reason not to go out and slaughter them all than there is to do it. So far Bellamy's storyline has been crap, from the rando girlfriend to the lightswitch allegiance change.  

For the most part I liked the goings on in Polis, the Nightbloods are an interesting idea, but I really hope I'm reading the signs wrong and Clarke/Lexa aren't going to happen. I know there's an attraction there but Clarke letting go of what happened last season seems very out of character to me. 

Then again given what they're doing to Bellamy I wont be surprised if it does happen.  

• Love 1

I can only hope the reason Abby wasn't there with Kane, was because he sent her to the camp to be all "Hey, guys?!  Our group just got taken over by some bigoted assholes who are a bit trigger happy, so maybe y'all should scram!"  If not, then Kane's kind of a dick to just leave them to dry.

I certainly hope and believe that Kane and Abby were smart enough to realize that they should warn Indra and her warriors before they announced the election result to Pike.
  • Love 2

I really liked Clarke's adventures in Polis, it was like the best parts of Game of Thrones, and a lot of fun.

The rest of the storylines are killing me though. I'm completely over Jasper and his pain. I don't usually wish death upon characters, but he can seriously go at any time.

Bellamy's story is beyond frustrating. I guess my main problem is that Gina was such a non-entity on the show, that her death inspiring Bellamy's betrayal has no weight. Perhaps if she were a more well developed character I would have cared more, but she was just a two episode plot device, so Bellamy being all heartbroken over a character we don't even know feels fake. Now if Raven had perished in Mt Weather, that would have been another story (one that I don't want to think of because Raven is awesome.) I just have a really hard time that Bellamy would betray his sister, and the friendship he's formed with Lincoln, and the guidance he's taken from Kane. I'm sure his acting out also has to do with Clarke choosing to stay in Polis, but I just hate everything about this story. 

I miss Murphy.

• Love 4

Damn it show. I had to listen to Jaspers whiny manpain and I didn't get any Raven to make up for it?! Come on now.

I knew I'd hate where they were going with him from the moment he started saying he could have killed Cage at the end of last season. Bitch please, you were nowhere near him. He really needs to get over himself. Run Monty, run as far as you can. I'd take Jaha's crazy story over Jasper's shit. At least Jaha has Murphy and Emori to entertain me.

Bellamy channeling the spirit of Finn sucks. Didn't they learn a lesson from last season? I really really hate what they're doing to him. I know he's always been impulsive but the idea that he'd be that stupid after all he's seen is such a step back for him. The only only way I could probably have bought him listening to Pike was if they killed Octavia, she should have been the only thing to trigger him going dark. Not some girl he's knew for a couple of months. Still, there is no way for him to come back if he goes full Finn and I will be pissed at the show if he does.

Pike is the absolute worst. He's an awful character, and so one note. I can kind of see why he exists I just wish they'd given him a few more layers.

The Polis stuff was pretty good. Grounder politics seems fun if their problems can be solved by throwing a spear at the other guy. Im sad that's the end of the Ice Queen, I was expecting her to stick around for another few episodes.

I miss Clarke with her people too. I'll admit I'm starting to ship her with Lexa after the last couple of episodes but I feel like she's kind of sidelined in Polis. I want her to be more involved and doing things instead of sitting and talking.

I also want to know the deal with the black blood. What causes it? Does it cause any other changes in the body? Do they have superpowers? I need to know..

Edited by dippydee
  • Love 1
A vote of non-confidence -- really ?  So they are ripping off some of the worst elements of the Star Wars prequels.  What's next -- is Jar Jar going to show up ?

I've been watching too much of The Clone Wars cartoon, because during the combat scene I kept on shouting at them to use the Force whenever they lost their weapon.

Ugh Bellamy, please don't make me hate you the way Finn made me hate him.

I really miss the season 1 & 2 dynamic of all the kids hanging out just trying to figure things out. Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying the Polis stuff, but Poor little Pike and his merry band of farmers can just go die or something. I would be completely okay if the coming justice for them is death. Because honestly, to me it's basically like Farm station are refugees into another country and are acting like the occupants of this new country are the same people terrorizing them. I wouldn't be surprised if Octavia is the one to kill Pike though.

I enjoyed Monty finally leaving Jasper, that needed to happen. If only so Jasper can take some time to get his shit together.

So far season three is a rough watch for me.

• Love 3

The problem with Pike and his crew is that we have almost no emotional investment in their experiences. They can say the Grounders were picking them off for months, but so what?  We watched the same thing happen with a group of teens and then later with the adults who Arked down.  We saw them in cages and on tables getting blood and marrow sucked out.  We saw them making horrific decisions that led to the deaths of hundreds.  We saw the Grounders betray an alliance with the Grounders which forced a genocide the of Mountain Men.  And yet they have still managed to make a sort of peace with the Grounders.  So Pike's yelling about how bad they've had it rings empty when we've seen how bad our own group has had it.  Without seeing what actually happened to Pike and his group, he just looks like a whiny baby.

Then there's the fact that there is hardly any connection with Pike's group.  Sure, Monty's mom is there, but they rarely interact.  Plus, Monty has been a secondary character who is really only used as a shortcut to get around tricky tech issues.  And, of course, Monty is part of the 100 who we actually saw go through horrific events.  He has been living with his part in killing everyone, including children, in Mount Weather.  

Finally, there is the problem with Bellamy.  His about face came from nowhere.  He already knows there are different factions within the Grounders (sort of like these different factions he sees forming with the Sky Crew).  He had no reason to trust some person he saw in a neighboring cage for a few moments several months ago.  The writers also can't expect us to buy any sort of manpain he's feeling about some woman we didn't even know.  It all rings so false.  They could have done something to set Bellamy up to be on Pike's side.  Even retconning some sort of loyalty issue from their time in space might have worked better.  Instead, they've gone full on stupid mode and the season is looking damaged because of it.  

• Love 4

I hate that they're making Bellamy a reactionary hothead who won't see reason. That's never been his MO. I believed to the very end he was setting them up for a fall. Instead he's apparently drinking the koolaid.

I know! I hate this, Bellamy has made such process since season one, I don't want him to regress like this and it does seem out of character. I was the same, I really thought he wouldn't join Pike's death squad and didn't believe it until he blew Kane off at the end - I was still hoping for him to not be 'one of them'!

• Love 2

I'm just so disappointed in Bellamy's development. It's rushed, it's a total mess and no, I don't think you come back from that kind of thing. Over two years you carefully, thoughtfully bring along a character, only to chuck it all in three episodes. And Pike has no nuance, no layers. He's just a one-note character designed to help Bellamy along in his...anti-redemption. 

I miss Clarke interacting with her people. I missed Raven. Jasper is the worst. There was a buildup and all kinds of promotion for the Ice Queen and she lasted less than an episode.

This season has not lived up to last season by a long shot. I expected more and this season it's starting to look more like a run-of-the-mill CW show. 

ETA: Maureen Ryan brings up similar concerns in a post-show interview with Jason Rothenberg. His answers don't comfort me much.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/features/the-100-bellamy-betrayal-chancellor-pike-grounders-1201697285/

Yep, the Bellamy storyline totally sucks, the writers have destroyed all the good work they had put into his redemption arc. You're 100% spot on about Pike, he's a cartoon character. Agree about Clark, I like her being with her people although I do adore her scenes with Lexa - it would be nice to have both! Oh god Jasper, I wish they would have balanced the writing with him, it could be interesting seeing someone dealing with PTSD but it's such a mess, he's just become this jerk who is very hard to empathise with. I actually like the Ice Queen only being in one ep simply because it was a shock when she was killed - this show does that so well, doing the unexpected so it makes it doubly disappointing that they are taking Bellamy down a predictable path (or should I say Finn path).

I don't think Bellamy's reaction is about Gina per se.  I think she is the identifiable person for his feelings, but he simply feels responsible for the loss and for getting burned.  I can't imagine carrying that guilt, and Bellamy isn't one to "Jasper" the situation, get drunk, cry and steal interred remains....he is going to try to act.

• Love 4

Did I miss an episode -- all of a sudden Clarkie seems incredibly knowledgeable about Grounder politics, despite only finding out about Polis and the council a couple of days ago.

That's a pretty common political motion IRL, it didn't remind me of Star Wars prequels thank heavens. (Ugh, thanks for ruining my childhood memories Lucas!) 

I don't think Bellamy's reaction is about Gina per se.  I think she is the identifiable person for his feelings, but he simply feels responsible for the loss and for getting burned.  I can't imagine carrying that guilt, and Bellamy isn't one to "Jasper" the situation, get drunk, cry and steal interred remains....he is going to try to act.

Yes, yes, yes! That's exactly what I think, Bellamy only mentioned Gina a couple of times and his first words to Kane were about him being responsible for all the Mountain deaths. That was the only thing I 'enjoyed' (don't know what word to use, I hate him siding with Pike!) about him wanting to defend Skicru by going on the offence, that's it's not about his girlfriend, it's about all the people he feels he left to their fate.

• Love 2

I think Bellamy can  react, and it wouldn't be a problem.  He had several knee jerk reactions which resulted in a bunch of people dying and possibly ruining a peace treaty.  So a reasonable reaction should be to slow down and think.  That would be in character.  He's now back to being season 1 Bellamy, someone who doesn't think more than a step in front of him.  They could have had him as the opposition to Pike after the latest Mount Weather disaster and it would have made more sense.  

• Love 2

It'll be interesting to see how Bellamys actions are whitewashed and excused, which I'm sure they will be. I don't get where they are going this season with him.

Hard to say. They didn't whitewash Finn, his actions led to his death. Lexa they've kind of whitewashed. So it'll be interesting to see how they deal with Bellamy.

I actually did enjoy all the stuff wih Lexa in Polis, and the fight and everything. But the Pike/Bellamy story is just casting a great big pall over the show for me right now.

• Love 2

The mass effects (crowd decisions) have always been the lowest point of that show... I mean, everytime a crowd started pushing things in The 100, it was always in the worst direction possible... I agree it may appear logical and coherent sometimes, but the show is resting too much on that effect that sometimes it's infuriating but not in the good way... you can be infuriated at the characters which is not a bad thing, but tonight, with the "Pike chant", I was infuriated at the show for once again using that overused trope... 

Can someone please give Pike to Indra, or Lincoln, or Octavia or Roan to do with him whatever they want to ? 

• Love 2
  • Bellamy's betrayal - I am pleased that at least the reason isn't simply because of Gina but because he feels responsible for everyone's death at MW, that is quite a noble and understandable feeling. Bellamy trusts Kane, Clarke, Abby, Lincoln and Octavia's views and has been living in this world a lot longer than Pike - he knows there is no point in starting a war with the grounders because it is a war Skicru can't win. He knows MW was all Ice Nation and that Kane and Clarke have been working hard with Indra and Lexa to negotiate peace. He has missed out on a lot of interactions with grounders that our other guys have had but I think that his trust in the aforementioned people would hold and he would not sell-out to a yell-y guy he barely knows.

• Jasper - I really liked pre-Maya death Jasper so it's frustrating that his SL has become very tedious. He is a gentle person and it makes sense to me that he would have PTSD after what he went through when they first arrived on the ground, when he lived at MW and then seeing the genocide. The show has done Jasper a disservice by purely focussing on Maya's death as the trigger for his mental disarray rather than the whole set of circumstances. If this SL had been handled well it could have been interesting by highlighting how differently people react to events.

• Lexa - she is the BEST! That fight scene was awesome, really well choreographed and I was on the edge of my seat because I had no idea who would win. That spear throw was the bestest, great strategy and all kinds of awesomeness. Of course I was cheering for Lexa (literally - I was in my apartment by myself chanting 'Lexa, Lexa!') but I didn't want Roan to die either, as soon as he wanted to plot to kill his mother I was his fan. Wow Alicia is incredibly beautiful, both bare faced and made up but I love it most when she has her warpaint on, she looks fierce and gorgeous, I want to wear her black eyeshadow mask everyday. Her role suuuucks on Fear the Walking Dead, I was so pleased to see how fantastic she is on The 100, hopefully she'll continue to be able to do both roles or The 100 will suddenly start having FTWD ratings (LOL!) so she'd be cool with staying with The 100 instead.

• Clarke - good girl trying to poison the Wicked Witch! And as always, she and Lexa's interactions are perfection.

• Pike - you're a bumhead who is going to get loads of people killed.

• Roan - I don't know how long he is going to last as King since he didn't win the throne himself, he had it handed to him in defeat so his people probably won't respect him, especially since his people are the hardasses of Ice Nation. 

• The people of Skicru - you are all idiots for voting in Pike. Bar Farm Station, Kane et all have kept you relatively safe in very dangerous circumstances. You've seen how many Grounders there are, how do you think you are going to kill every last Grounder? That's Pike's plan, not a very good plan is it? Go to the naughty corner for a week.

• Raven - where were you?

• Murphy - hoping we haven't heard from you because you've been busy killing Jaha and making your way back to Skicru. Can't believe he is now in my top 5 characters! Please be back next week with no City of Light bullshit.

• Kane - I love you, let me comfort you in your leadership loss

• Abby - The MW deaths are partially on you, you were warned not to have people living there. Go be a doctor, you're a good doctor.

• Polis - love seeing the city, I hope we get to see more, especially things like when Kane tried the food in the market

• Love 1

After all Clarke/Kane/Abby have done to keep those people safe, they all vote for Pike? All those Farm Station people need to go and start their war on their own. He's war hungry, how is he with the few people they have supposed to go after the mass armies of Grounders and Ice Nation? I can't stank Pike, hope he dies first with his mass killing ideas.

Bellamy was just dumb, he knew all they've done for the sake of being peaceful and working together and now he's going to go off crazy and basically be Finn?

• Love 1

Hard to say. They didn't whitewash Finn, his actions led to his death. Lexa they've kind of whitewashed. So it'll be interesting to see how they deal with Bellamy.

I actually did enjoy all the stuff wih Lexa in Polis, and the fight and everything. But the Pike/Bellamy story is just casting a great big pall over the show for me right now.

I really liked how they didn't whitewash Finn's massacre, one of the things I love about this show is that actions have consequences. I'm not sure if they've whitewashed Lexa so much as shown that Clark may have made the same decision as Lexa - I'm 50/50 on whether she would have - and they have been consistent that Lexa makes all her decisions based on what is best for her people. It has been a good decision by the writers for her to now have a formal alliance with Skicru as the 13th Clan because they are now 'her people' as well and I do think she means her oath. I hope there is some way they can bring Bellamy back from this without whitewashing him, I really don't want him dead but I don't want him to get a free pass either.

The Grounders betrayed them at the Mount. They can never be completely trusted. This is why Bellamy has taken this decision. Gina and the bomb were just the last straw.

I thought of that as well but I did think he seemed to blame only Lexa for that. It's just such a bummer that he's going down this path.

• Love 2

This was an episode with more focus on Arkadia and our male cast and it felt a bit odd since that isn't the usual of the 100. Sure there was Clarke/Nia/Lexa, that was paired with a bit of Titus/Roan stuff. Otherwise it was mainly Pike/Bellamy/Kane/Jasper/Monty, with some minor screen time to Lincoln and smaller yet to Octavia and Abby. I really feel like the whole she-bang at Arkadia could had benefited from having Raven there, and also Octavia not being so quiet. Then again, it would had made it harder for the writers to execute this piss poor story line they are trying to sell

The Arkadia plot felt like it got way to much time, yet for how rushed it felt, it is like it had to little time as well to cover the proper emotional beats. I went looking for a video of the nightblood scene, and found one that compiled all the Polis scenes, which made barely 13 minutes. So around 30 minutes on the other stuff (including intro/credits) for the rest. I think the Pike stuff needed to be stretched out over probably 2 more episodes at least. Like why would any other the regular Arkadians that been lead by Kane just jump on board with Pike? Who somehow could be on the ballot despite being put in jail for breaking the rules.

I feel like the story line with Bellamy not only suffers over moving to fast, but also because Bellamy's character needs to play off other characters with strong active personalities to really work/shine. Be it Clarke, Octavia, Raven, (Murphy) or Hell I bet it could work with Lexa to. Pike despite all his talk and wave making just doesn't feel like a strong character to play off because it is so one note. I love Bellamy's moments with Kane but for it to suck me in there just needs to be something a bit more. Another part I don't know how to describe it properly but it just doesn't feel like I am seeing some active protagonist moving stuff forward. It comes across as more reactionary and therefore dull. I need Bellamy to be the active person in his story line, even if he is going down the path of pre-meditated slaughter of 300 people.

I love that we saw more of Clarke being manipulative and actively moving things around in an effort to have the fall out be like she would like. Her manipulative trait is one of my favorite of hers. I have also been getting a wee bit tired of certain parts of a fandom infantilizing Clarke as some 'naive poor princess', that has been manipulated/controlled around by the 'evul predatory abusive lesbian'. Clarke isn't someone that really gets manipulated, she is often the one doing it. I love that she is one of the most manipulative people on the show, and it was great seeing her trying to work the angles.

She is great at reading a person and use that for what she considers would be the best for her people or people she cares about. You could see it with Roan, where she zeroed in on the idea of making him king. He caught on to it, which I think he should because it wasn't very subtle lol. But they then managed to pair up and Clarke again tried to play on what she had read of the Ice Queen and heard about her. She would also had succeeded if it wasn't for Ontari (btw it tickles me so much that the big bad Ice Nation are probably Canadians. I guess it only took a nuclear apocalypse for them to stop being so nice)

Lexa is very accurate with how Clarke needs to fix things. It is one of the main things that caused her to start stepping up as a leader to begin with, and I think it is also one of the things that will drive her out of her post-MW emotional and mental state. We are starting to see Clarke coming back into herself, with how she refuses to accept certain things and will scramble hardcore to get shit done. Also she sorta even cracked a joke and made Lexa smile.

I liked the part with Clarke asking what Lexa will do now that all the ambassadors betrayed her, and Lexa just replies that they just did what they thought was right for their people to. It again solidified Lexa's view on leadership decisions, and also that even if directed "against" herself, she stands by it and understands.

Another pro with this episode is we gained more knowledge of the sessions and training of Commanders, and I bet it won't be the last we see of Ontari. Things won't be so neatly tied together, and with Pike and Bellamy messing things up, I can see things becoming rather dire for Lexa if/when they butcher the force sent to protect Arkadia from future Azgeda attacks. This is also a force coming from the surrounding villages around Arkadia, that already lost a lot of people in the S1 conflict + the flares + to Finn + the Missile in S2. Ouch.

Random observations/stray thoughts

Being a candle maker must be the most secure job in Polis. There are lighted candles every damn where, even when its day time

The Roan and Lexa fight was awesome

Nia had way more presence than Pike and worked so much better even if she wasn't around much. Brenda Strong is tall and the striking eyes really made me follow her on screen. Where as Pike just got me annoyed. I understand that in the wake of those types of attacks, extreme people rise to power that utilize the fear, hurt and anger of people. But the actor lacks the charisma and it is just a rushed mess.

I could feel Clarke restricting her outward signs of exasperation when Lexa was all; "see things will be alright because I'll be reincarnated into this man" *pulls out 10 year old*. If I was Clarke I wouldn't know whether to laugh or cry. Though to be fair she did send an army to protect Arkadia under Indra.

The conclave selects the Commander but there are a group of night bloods. Something tells me it is more Battle Royal/Hunger Games style selection than anything else.

The writers really need to be careful to not step into manpain territory

I am happy Clarke is in Polis where she is getting back into being herself/healing, and also because I truly feel like her character wouldn't benefit at all from being dragged into the Arkadia mess. Plus Bellamy needs to grow out her of shadow so to say, and I am nhf the whole Clarke needs to be by Bellamy's side so he will make good decisions I seen pop up in some areas of fandom. 50 shades of Delena to me right there. However I am curious how she will now react to the whole Pike in charge and Bellamy by his side stuff that has gone down,

What was with Lexa's armor that conveniently had cut outs where her breasts were at? Like that is not how armor works or is actually made. Unless they took their inspiration from MMO's

Perhaps the black blood denotes some sort of difference in genetics that means they will have a different reaction to ALIEs illusion and her chip.

Minneapple I would say they did white wash Finn's actions considering that practically every named Arker was defending his ass, and they were going to go to war against a force that would surely annihilate them all in order to keep him from facing any consequences as they had completely acquitted him and even gave him back a weapon. Finn even acted all upset when people were a bit nervous with him waving a gun around. I also got the distinct impression that us the audience, was supposed to see him surrendering to the Grounders as very noble of him, despite the fact that he was surrounded and would had been caught anyway.

ottoDbusdriver If you are referring to the stuff Clarke did when trying to assassinate the Ice Queen, I believe she got it from Roan who seems to have been the brain behind that plan. He was probably also the person whom got her the knife and taught her the words. If you meant something else then sorry

Edited by Riful
  • Love 6

After all Clarke/Kane/Abby have done to keep those people safe, they all vote for Pike? All those Farm Station people need to go and start their war on their own. He's war hungry, how is he with the few people they have supposed to go after the mass armies of Grounders and Ice Nation? I can't stank Pike, hope he dies first with his mass killing ideas.

Bellamy was just dumb, he knew all they've done for the sake of being peaceful and working together and now he's going to go off crazy and basically be Finn?

Yes, I can't believe it either, the other Arkers more than outnumber Farm Station, I don't understand how Kane could lose the vote. I like your typo 'stank Pike', I think it was a Freudian slip because Pike does stink!

Bellamy's stance makes no sense, Bellamy made rash decisions but he hasn't done that for awhile except with the whole Wanheda thing.

(btw it tickles me so much that the big bad Ice Nation are probably Canadians. I guess it only took a nuclear apocalypse for them to stop being so nice)

When I first heard of Ice Nation, hmm probably Canada coz they are in North America :)) also I'm Canadian

I like that big tower called Polis or capitol, what happened to other buildings then? 

Bellamy's story is beyond frustrating. I guess my main problem is that Gina was such a non-entity on the show, that her death inspiring Bellamy's betrayal has no weight. Perhaps if she were a more well developed character I would have cared more, but she was just a two episode plot device, so Bellamy being all heartbroken over a character we don't even know feels fake.

it would have made more sense if Bellamy/Echo were the couple that the season started with, only for Echo to betray him to the Queen by leading him to Polis. It would have given Bellamy the "personal element" the writers were pushing for with the introduction of Gina, avoided a cliched fridging, and given Bellamy a more compelling reason to act on feelings of betrayal (that he not only trusted but was in a relationship with someone plotting against him). Plus there would have been some juicy recriminations between them later (Word of God is that Echo insisted on Bellamy accompanying her to Polis because she didn't want him to die in the Mountain) and a nice parallel between Lexa/Clarke from last season.

Edited by Ravenya003
  • Love 10
Minneapple I would say they did white wash Finn's actions considering that practically every named Arker was defending his ass, and they were going to go to war against a force that would surely annihilate them all in order to keep him from facing any consequences as they had completely acquitted him and even gave him back a weapon. Finn even acted all upset when people were a bit nervous with him waving a gun around. I also got the distinct impression that us the audience, was supposed to see him surrendering to the Grounders as very noble of him, despite the fact that he was surrounded and would had been caught anyway.

I don't see the Arkers defending his actions as whitewashing -- and as you point out, people got nervous when he was waving a gun around, so they did recognize that he'd done something terrible. Yeah, they tried to defend him, because they're a small group dedicated to survival and they want every member of their group to survive. But in any case, ultimately the show recognized that because of his actions, Finn's presence was unsustainable and the writing dealt with it. It was a good storyline with a satisfying conclusion. 

I don't feel confident that they'll deal properly with Bellamy's actions, because the storyline is so rushed and unearned. 

• Love 1

Bellamy's entire character is that every decision he makes turns to shit.And yet, he keeps on trying to lead. 

I mean, the scene at the gate where he said he had always done what was best for their people? I wanted the guards to *laugh in his face*,

Because he may have tried, but he has very consistently been wrong. He's personally formidable when executing someone elses plan, but his own ability to come up with a good course of action is at minus 9000. 

As for Pike.. his plan is to backstab the grounder faction *not* currently trying to kill them? 

There is being cautious and there is just being insane. Should have just shot his ass in front of the gate. 

• Love 7

I kinda get Bellamy. Echo betrayed him and He sees Clarke working again with a Backstabber who left her him and others to be Killed. Lexa fucked her over and would probably do it but heres Clarke working with her again. I'm no huge shipper on this show but people want her with Lexa who did that to her before seriously?

• Love 2

Most unintentionally hilarious moment: That extra pointing at Lincoln and wailing "You don't belong here!" Second most hilarious moment was Bellamy giving Rita's eulogy and saying only that she was "real." Sure she was. She totally wasn't a fake person you had a fake relationship with to give you a fake motivation for the rest of the season.

I get what's happening from a writer POV -- Abby and Kane can't keep fighting with each other and everyone else who caused trouble around camp is dead or following a hologram, so they need a new shit disturber -- enter Pike. In order to give that story some kind of meaning, they need one of the main characters to go along with Pike. Their best candidates are Bellamy and Raven,and Bellamy has more relationships, so it's more dramatic if it's him. It makes sense for the story, but it's not coming across that well on screen. I kind of wish they'd taken Raven with them or that she joins up with them later, so at least there are two characters with Pike and they can talk to each other about it and develop their motivations a little more.

My favourite part of the show is really Clarke/Lexa/Jody from Shameless/pit fighting, though, so I was still content.

I think there was a time jump at the start of the episode. It's possible someone said something later to contradict that, though. I'm bad at noticing things like that.

I can only hope the reason Abby wasn't there with Kane, was because he sent her to the camp to be all "Hey, guys?!  Our group just got taken over by some bigoted assholes who are a bit trigger happy, so maybe y'all should scram!"  If not, then Kane's kind of a dick to just leave them to dry.

I had the same thought about Abby, especially since Kane was so cagey about where she was. But Indra also has a radio, so could they not just call her and give her a heads-up about what's probably about to go down? They should at least have done that.

I really would have liked to see more of the internal conflicts among Grounder clans and I thought Brenda Strong made a really cool fascinating villain as ice queen, so I am really disappointed that they have already killed her off, only to shift the focus on Pike and Bellamy as threat to peace..

I think there may still be grounder politics at hand. The Ice Queen was kind of a static character, because she was set in her goals and nothing was going to change her mind, whereas her son is more of a wild card. I think, between the two of them, he is the more interesting character to have in the mix right now.

• Love 2

So, am I the only person who thinks the roan character was brought in as a new love interest for Clark? Maybe I'm way off base, but the reluctant captor thing they had going on plus the becoming allies? It just screams new love interest to me. In light of that, what they are doing with Bellamy makes sense to me. He needs to be anti grounder first off to set up conflict with he and Clark and also to tarnish him to the audience. I mean I think it's terribly cliche, but they have now set up Clark, Lexa and roan as like power trio. So to have a good love triangle you need to get rid of the other options.

Edited by ljp

piequinn35 Maybe the shock-waves from the nuke blast somehow knocked all the other buildings down? Yeah I got nothing. It does make for a pretty badass look, so I guess that is probably the real reason

Minneapple I guess agree to disagree? I felt the narrative was basically screaming at me to feel sorry for Finn, and they even added in flash backs that made his imprisonment on the Ark be all because he tried to do something for Raven. Also at that time most of the Grounders were unknown to us or known as the enemy. The only people we had to serve as "moral compasses" were the kids and adults we have been following, but not a single one of them went wtf Finn went psycho and deserves punishment. Hell Finn even tried to spin it as doing it for Clarke, and she accepted the blame and offered to die in his place(!). Sorry I have a lot of strong feelings about that episode. I consider it probably the most hateful and annoying that the arkers (adult or kids) have ever been.

ljp and doram Roan was supposed to have a love interest at home, that was his primary motivation to remove his exile. It ended up not making it in the end, but there been slides where the IQ threathened the life of that unknown woman if Roan lost, and if I remember right also where she is mentioned in a conversation between him and Clarke. Also JR mentioned in an interview that it ended up being cut (him having a woman he loved at home). He was never ever brougth on as a possible LI for Clarke (and that is ignoring the massive age difference for 18 year old Clarke, and what 35 year old Roan?). If they were going to bring on someone, I do think it wouldnt be someone twice Clarke's age, and someone closer to her age-wise.

Overall there is no love triangle or the settings of one regarding Clarke. JR has shut this down more than once. Also JR has repeatedly shut down the idea that there is a Lexa/Clarke/Bell triangle going on. Even responding "what triangle?" when a Bellarke fan tweeted him about it. In an interivew JR also talked about how they did try to do love triangles in early S1 (referring to Finn/Clarke/Raven), but dropped it and have zero intention of doing any love triangles. Furthermore JR has bluntly said that Clarke will not be in any love triangle, which means with Lexa in the picture, there is no 3rd person be it Roan or Bellamy.

Regarding romantic Bellarke, the "best" JR has given them is saying if they went to interpret Bellamy's feelings for Clarke as romantic they can do that (which I think is him trying to compromise with the Bellarke fans after a lot of rawrrawr between him and them). But he also mentioned at the same time that Clarke is not in love with him/have some repressed feelings (paraphrasing). Her interest was early on Finn, and then shifted to Lexa. Personally I am so happy that Clarke won't be in some bs love triangle. I never enjoyed any of those type of story lines and it grosses me out how often it happens with female bisexual characters (and it is always 1 female and 1 male character she is caught between ughhh)

I don't believe Bellamy's currently story line has anything to do with trying to tarnish him. Bob been wanting to play more S1 Bellamy (I get the impression he felt his cowardly asshole to hero transformation was too quick, also he probably enjoys playing the more dark grey character). If I recall right, he was offered both the role of Finn and Bellamy, and he chose Bellamy because the character was something he wanted to play. Now I don't think Bob is the main reason for this story line, but I do think the writers want to put Bellamy through the moral wringer that Clarke experienced in S2 (and others).

Bellamy has been more of a follower and that is going to cause the butchering of 300 people, with him personally killing dozens of them. I do believe this might be a story line that will push him away from the follower part, and more into (finally) forging his own path as a leader with his own leadership "ideology". Now I aren't sure what that ideology will be. We already have numerous between Clarke, Kane, Lexa, Abby, Pike, Cage and Dante. But I think that is going to be the interesting bit. All those characters had different influences shaping their way of leading, and right now I can't really tell where Bellamy's will go. This however requires one hell of redemption arc, because his motivations right now for doing this are not very good (based on fear, hurt and anger). It also doesn't serve the perspective of "best for my people" that is the motivator of pretty much all the other leaders. Killing 300 people sent to protect you, that are a part of a group that probably has thousands of warriors is utterly idiotic.

I sincerely hope the writers won't just make Bellamy feel sorry and cry, and then that's that. It is something that requires careful character exploration and proper repercussions.

Edited by Riful
  • Love 4
Roan was supposed to have a love interest at home, that was his primary motivation to remove his exile. It ended up not making it in the end, but there been slides where the IQ threathened the life of that unknown woman if Roan lost, and if I remember right also where she is mentioned in a conversation between him and Clarke. Also JR mentioned in an interview that it ended up being cut (him having a woman he loved at home). He was never ever brougth on as a possible LI for Clarke (and that is ignoring the massive age difference for 18 year old Clarke, and what 35 year old Roan?). If they were going to bring on someone, I do think it wouldnt be someone twice Clarke's age, and someone closer to her age-wise.

Overall there is no love triangle or the settings of one regarding Clarke. JR has shut this down more than once. Also JR has repeatedly shut down the idea that there is a Lexa/Clarke/Bell triangle going on. Even responding "what triangle?" when a Bellarke fan tweeted him about it. In an interivew JR also talked about how they did try to do love triangles in early S1 (referring to Finn/Clarke/Raven), but dropped it and have zero intention of doing any love triangles. Furthermore JR has bluntly said that Clarke will not be in any love triangle, which means with Lexa in the picture, there is no 3rd person be it Roan or Bellamy.

Regarding romantic Bellarke, the "best" JR has given them is saying if they went to interpret Bellamy's feelings for Clarke as romantic they can do that (which I think is him trying to compromise with the Bellarke fans after a lot of rawrrawr between him and them). But he also mentioned at the same time that Clarke is not in love with him/have some repressed feelings (paraphrasing). Her interest was early on Finn, and then shifted to Lexa. Personally I am so happy that Clarke won't be in some bs love triangle. I never enjoyed any of those type of story lines and it grosses me out how often it happens with female bisexual characters (and it is always 1 female and 1 male character she is caught between ughhh)

This is one of those cases where the actor's actually interfering with the storyline for me: I don't mean it as a critique of how Zach McGowan is playing Roan, but personally, I find the actor so charismatic I have a hard time not reading into his relation to other characters. It's extra uncomfortable, because I hate ("Flames! Flames at the side of my face!") love triangles and I love whatever is it between Clarke and Lexa, I just... aarrg. I don't know if I'm making any sense, but I think my wiring are fritzed at the moment (I caught myself woobying KYLO REN! Obviously something's wrong in my brain).

Bellamy has been more of a follower and that is going to cause the butchering of 300 people, with him personally killing dozens of them. I do believe this might be a story line that will push him away from the follower part, and more into (finally) forging his own path as a leader with his own leadership "ideology". Now I aren't sure what that ideology will be. We already have numerous between Clarke, Kane, Lexa, Abby, Pike, Cage and Dante. But I think that is going to be the interesting bit. All those characters had different influences shaping their way of leading, and right now I can't really tell where Bellamy's will go. This however requires one hell of redemption arc, because his motivations right now for doing this are not very good (based on fear, hurt and anger). It also doesn't serve the perspective of "best for my people" that is the motivator of pretty much all the other leaders. Killing 300 people sent to protect you, that are a part of a group that probably has thousands of warriors is utterly idiotic.

I sincerely hope the writers won't just make Bellamy feel sorry and cry, and then that's that. It is something that requires careful character exploration and proper repercussions.

This. And also yes. When I read that Varity-interview with Mo Ryan and JR, I thought something on the scale of Battlestar Galactica circa season four was at hand. This? Is not that. As long as they treat the aftermath with the weight it ought to have, I have no problems with Bellamy regressing to his season one state. That happens sometimes, especially when fear is allowed to take the driver's seat. Now I just worry like crazy for Indra and Lincoln.

re: Bellamy's state of mind

I think that the real underlying thing for Bellamy relating to his Grounder allies was that initial step that Lexa took when she betrayed them all, intending that the Ark people would be wiped out by the Mountain Men.  She walked away after having deliberately made a deal that meant that all of the Arkers in Mount Weather would die, and that all the other Arkers would be hunted down and murdered too.  Bellamy had experienced what that would mean firsthand, and saw what the details of marrow extraction meant for his people, and Lexa's decision led directly to the need to kill all of Mount Weather to let the Arkers survive.  It also led directly to Clarke leaving.  My point is - Bellamy has very little reason to have any trust at all in the value of Lexa's word or her protection, or the alliance at all.  

Then, one of the people who's life he saved directly, who also saved his, who had all the reason in the world to never betray him, led directly to the deaths of another 49 people.  With the exception of Lincoln, every time Bellamy has trusted a Grounder in a life or death situation, his people have died.  Even Lincoln betrayed him in Mount Weather, fully expecting that Bellamy ... and every one else that they had gone there to save ... would die.

So, I understand where Bellamy would be coming from in hearing Pike's message. I think that everyone involved has shown that their real allegiance is fluid and determined entirely by the needs of the moment rather than any lasting loyalty.  

ETA: ... which would make that army outside their doors a threat, not a comfort.  A large group of trained fighters that could (and have, before) turn on them at any moment.   

Edited by Infie
  • Love 4

I understand why Bellamy is in - This is exactly the kind of boneheaded thing he always does. Pike appears to just be nuts. But.. How did he win the vote? He explicitly ran on a platform of "lets stab our only allies in the back, despite the fact that we are horribly outnumbered". I mean, if the ballot had come back with a write-in vote for Clarke, that would make sense. But Pike? He might have the thirty surviving farm stationers in the bag, but.. what? 

• Love 4

lnfie I get what you are trying to illustrate with Bellamy, but I still just can't get behind it at all. Like my ex-girlfriend (a lesbian and an Italian-Iranian Muslim) been physically assaulted around 8-9 times (that is disregarding all the verbal harassment throughout her life, and instances of men following her saying nasty shit and rape threats). Each time by white straight men. By that notion she should consider them all bad no she doesn't. Because she realizes there are good and bad people, even when her family kept her fairly isolated (she grew up country side and was one out of 2 Muslim families in her small town). I can't buy that Bellamy is incapable of the same thing.

I can make sense of why he wouldn't trust certain people. I definitely agree with why he would be mistrustful to a certain extent, but to generalize it to everyone and to such an extent that he will go butcher 300 people? No. It is too paper thin (if even that) imo. I feel like the writers really messed up here. Bellamy is smarter than what this story line is making him out to be.

I get why he wouldn't trust Lexa for shit. I 100% agree he has no reason to trust her whatsoever. But that also means he would believe she might kill Clarke and retaliate with full force after he butchers those 300 grounders no? What point is there to killing 300 people that are currently not actively doing any harm when killing them means you will bring a 10 times bigger army down on you? It is utterly idiotic on any tactical level. He isn't protecting anyone, he is putting them all in a much bigger danger than before. That is one of the most frustrating parts with this to me. Even from the view of trying to protect Arkadia, it makes zero sense to go kill those Grounders. He only endangers everyone even more. And he should be capable of seeing that. Sure he is often short sighted, but this is on a whole new level..

There is also Octavia and Indra. He knows how Octavia feels more closer/at home with the Grounders, and Indra was her mentor. The 3 months cease fire he has also had contact with Grounders, most likely Indra. Indra that is in charge of that army near Arkadia. Why would he suddenly think she would want to attack them when she never did during those 3 months? 3 months that allowed the Arkers to build better walls, grow food and overall have stronger defenses and learn the land? The main thing that has changed from then to now is they are now supposed to closer allies. So that makes even less sense.

He also crashed the ceremony in Polis and saw clearly how it was the Ice Nation scheming and behind it all. So he knew that those Grounders were being called together to work with them - lead by Indra - against the Ice Nation. Also while Lincoln screwed up, he knows that had to do with the drugs and conditioning he went through, and nothing to do with being a Grounder.

Another aspect is it is not like Bellamy been a super trustworthy guy himself. He lied and manipulated the delinquents for his own agenda for half of S1, and he has changed and seen others change as well. So he is himself a prime example of how someone can change into someone you can trust or at least give a shot. Also re: MW. If Lexa turned down the deal those Grounders on the inside would had been killed by the guards instead of them letting them out. I know Bellamy can be irrational, but he is capable of thinking of things from other people's perspective. So he knows why she did it, and I do believe he would at least be able to understand it. Like I think it is a safe bet that if Bellamy was offered the same deal as Lexa, he would had taken it. Also nothing about Lexa's deal included those at Camp Jaha, nor did the MW people give any indication they would go hunt for them? At least I don't recall such a thing. They had enough with the 44 delinquents so they had no reason to go attack a group that had their tech level available to them and the same numbers, if it could be avoided. It would probably had meant mutual destruction between them. So I don't see how that would be part of his mindset. However I can believe he is hunted by what if's regarding the 44 in MW if they haven't irradiated it all.

But in the end so what if the contacts (that we know of) he had with Grounders often lead to negative experiences? He is a 26(?) year old guy that knows the world is shaded in greys. He knows there are many different Grounders with their own sub-culture and leadership. The total black/white angle just seems way to forced. I know Bellamy is capable of horrible things given the proper or correct motivation, but it is just too dumb for me. The thing he excelled at in S1 when he was in his prime asshole mode, was knowing the crowd and playing it. He is no idiot when it comes to human behavior and the complexity of it. But now boom apparently he is, and all Grounders are the same so lets go kill a force in the name of protection despite the logical fall out for that would be a much larger army coming and annihilating us all.

Honestly I feel like he should had Pike pegged from the get go, and be side-eyeing him for how he plays the crowd. Bellamy should be recognizing someone that did the same as he did back in S1. Using people's emotions in order to fuel a certain agenda. But instead he is being played.

If I have to try to think of what (imho) should be Bellamy's mindset I think it should had been more based on sense of failure, loss of direction and repressed emotions - particularly over Mount Weather and living among people in Arkadia where he caused several of them to lose family and lost ones in The Culling. If the writers had gone deeper into that with him feeling hunted and struggling to figure out how to do things, make things better, I could see Bellamy being more easy victim to Pike's manipulations that offers a very simplistic angle and mode of attack in "making things better". But for his current mindset? I feel like all those various dots people suggest are way to far apart of make a sensible pattern/motivation for all of this. The writers didn't do enough leg work for the viewers at all for this to feel like a way Bellamy could had ended up like this.

Edit: This became so long yikes. TD:LR version; I think Bellamy is too smart and knowledgeable about people to truly ever fall down into such a black and white mindset, which pushes an action that would likely lead to the death of everyone in Arkadia.The show is usually a lot better at making the audience understand why a character is doing certain things, even if those actions are morally horrifying, but here they dropped the ball.

Edited by Riful
  • Love 5

Bleh.

I did not start watching the 100 to watch Game of Thrones Lite or BSG Lite.  

Political machinations, coupes, civil war, sword fights, Artificial Intelligence- when do dragons show up?  Even the "shocking deaths" are no longer shocking.

If I want to watch BSG or GOT, I have dvds.  I can also watch the news (which is just as depressing).

I watch (watched?) the 100 because I got to see characters relating to each other, not characters relating to battles/political schemes.  I like seeing Raven/Monty/Bellamy/Clarke/Octavia/Lincoln in scenes together, not spilt up and given their own subplots.  I got to see kids making their own rules/lives, not watching adults come in and start running the show (Pike for example).

I did like Monty's Come to Jesus moment with Jasper.  

I think the writers are well on their way to ruining the Bellamy character.  Above all, he loves his sister- and he's the only one who HAS a sibling due to the 1 child rule on the Ark, and I feel like the writers are dismissing that bond.  And I think Bellamy is too smart to be as easily manipulated by Pike, or anyone else. 

I do not miss Jaha and his plot line at all.  Can that plot line be the "shocking death" we know can happen at any moment?

Lexa is a popular character but I still don't like her.   

Show, you're losing me.

ETA:  Post is longer than I meant it to be.  Apologies.

Edited by KittenPokerCheater
  • Love 4