Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E05: Season 6, Episode 5

As for Tom living at Downton, why not? It was normal for extended family to live in the great house, or at least live there temporarily while deciding what his next move would be. It's been made pretty clear that Tom has returned "home" with Sybbie so both can be part of the family. Why have a house with 25 bedrooms and not welcome your son-in-law (now beloved) and first grandchild to stay? In the 1920s a number of King George's female relatives lived in "grace and favor" apartments in Kensington Palace. It's the same thing with Edith living at Downton. She was not expected to get a job and move out on her own. No one, not even Mary, was going to present a rent bill to a spinster daughter of the estate. 

• Love 6

Also, loved Bertie's comment that the head of Brancaster is single and spends his time painting young boys.

Um....

&

So you're thinking Thomas is too old for him?

I thought that Bertie said that his cousin painted portraits of young men in Tangiers (I could be mis-remembering).  I did take it as an implication that he is homosexual, but not a pederast.

When Robert and Cora were talking about Violet in front of the children, we were expecting a later scene of "Granny Violet, Donk said that you …"

This has me wondering how much Violet interacts with her great-grandchildren.

• Love 3

I don't think Mary and Talbot are the end game and I'm not a Mary/Tom shipper either. I don't think he's over Sybil and may NEVER remarry. I'm actually beginning to think that Mary will end up with Evelyn Napier and entrust more of the day-to-day management of Downton to Tom. Talk about full circle, seeing as how Napier first showed up in Season 1.

• Love 1

&

I thought that Bertie said that his cousin painted portraits of young men in Tangiers (I could be mis-remembering).  I did take it as an implication that he is homosexual, but not a pederast.

This has me wondering how much Violet interacts with her great-grandchildren.

I agree that the hint was simply that Bertie's cousin is gay -- and that he's not likely to have an heir. 

Imagine how fun it would be to get a scene where the great-grandchildren come to Violet's for a tea party. We do need to see her interacting with them in a sweet way at least once.

• Love 5

Would it be terribly scandalous for Mary & Tom to get together?  I would hate for her Vagina of Death to claim another victim, esp. one we love, but it seems like they are a perfect match.

Was I watching Downton Abbey or "Aliens: The Early Years"?   Effects Dept got a little carried away with the blood. 

Tony Gillingham seems to be doing ok, though it has been a couple of episodes since we've checked on him.

Lol I wonder if the effects/props department were just excited to do something with a lot of blood. I mean they had a lot to do with it in season 2 with the war but this is one of the least bloody shows on tv. It was like a last hurrah.

Loved all the scenes filmed outside the Abbey this week.  Why is it just now in the final season are we seeing the grounds.  Loved the two scenes that showed the "house" in the background.

We've seen the grounds a lot over the past 6 seasons. Many times we see servants walking to and from work with the house in the background. There are also a handful of scenes by that arch (that has a name in real life that I can't remember) with the house in the background. S1E3 (the "poor dead Turk" episode) had some wonderful shots during the horseback riding scenes. This show has taken a lot of advantage of shooting on location.

Forgot to mention that the Carson-Hughes marriage really highlights how long they have both worked at the Abbey. They have probably both had very few meals in 20-30 years that have not been prepared by a professional cook. Also, they have lived in a grade estate for which there were numerous employees to take care of things. Both of them had risen to supervisory positions in which, unless there was an urgent need/emergency, they did not do the actual work. So, now they have their own home but without staff to take care of the chores. Were they the ones who discussed a hotel, or was that Anna and Bates. If it was Carson and Hughes, they would actually have to end up hiring staff. If Anna and Bates, they could do a lot of the work, but neither one of them was a cook. Interesting how working in the Abbey limited their own skill bases.

Both Mrs. Hughes/Carson and Anna/Bates have discussed opening hospitality services. Mrs. Hughes and Carson talked about purchasing an inn (something I can't remember if they ended up going through with or not) and Anna/Bates have talked about turning his mother's old house into a hotel and possibly moving in there themselves to run it.

What have I missed with Mrs. Patmore being ready to open something for which Mrs. Hughes says she just needs customers?

She bought a guest house that she was planning to rent out and then move into when she retired.

My local PBS station cut the scene with the grandchildren.  

That's a shame, it was really cute. Not crucial to the plot but this is the kind of show that can benefit from those sorts of fluffy scenes.

I really, really hope that Mary doesn't blame Anna for not spilling the Edith/Marigold secret. As someone pointed out upthread, she should value that sort of discretion in Anna because that means she can rely on her not to go blabbing her own secrets as well (and she's had some big ones over the years). And to be honest, Anna didn't exactly lie to her. Mary asked her if there was talk in the servants' hall about Miss Marigold, and Anna answered honestly, that they talked about how lucky she was to have been adopted into the family. Anna and Mrs. Hughes are the only ones we've seen explicitly discuss the situation; even if the other servants have their suspicions, it doesn't look like it's been a subject of gossip.

Also way upthread I think someone wondered how Cora could continue talking about the blasted hospital when her husband's ulcer had just burst. I think it was Violet who was badgering Cora and trying to keep the debate going, and Cora who was basically like "I've decided I disagree but I have other more important things going on right now." I might be wrong but that's how I remember the scene going. I do like that Cora is finally asserting her dominance as Countess. Violet had her day, but--how I feel about the gender roles of the time aside--her day ended when her husband died. For years everyone has seemed to just tiptoe around her and let her run roughshod over everything, but it's high time for that character to finally lose and be in the wrong. And this is coming from someone who loves Violet and Maggie Smith's portrayal of her. I don't think she needs to be killed off for the show to make the point that the old days are done and the new days are coming. Having her lose in this particular instance says that enough.

I think what annoys me most about the Daisy situation is that she spent so much time resisting the idea of Mr. Mason as her father-in-law as she believed she would be continuing her falseness to William. She eventually allowed herself to be Mr. Mason's surrogate daughter but now she's swung in the total opposite direction and doesn't want to share him with anyone. In many ways it makes sense from a character standpoint, as some people have already mentioned, but I feel like we missed a step between the two extremes, like this possessiveness doesn't seem quite earned.

• Love 3

As for Tom living at Downton, why not? It was normal for extended family to live in the great house, or at least live there temporarily while deciding what his next move would be. It's been made pretty clear that Tom has returned "home" with Sybbie so both can be part of the family. Why have a house with 25 bedrooms and not welcome your son-in-law (now beloved) and first grandchild to stay? In the 1920s a number of King George's female relatives lived in "grace and favor" apartments in Kensington Palace. It's the same thing with Edith living at Downton. She was not expected to get a job and move out on her own. No one, not even Mary, was going to present a rent bill to a spinster daughter of the estate. 

The thing with Tom living at Downton is where does Tom find a love interest, and how does he bring her "home" to Downton if he wants to date/marry her?

"I luv U, Sarah Bunting, let me bring you "home" to Downton so you can be my wife and live with my dead wife's family!"  Awkward.

I think if Tom did ever remarry he would have the decency to move out. He'd probably still stay in Downton so that Sybbie could be close to the family but I can't see him even entertaining the possibility of moving a new wife into the abbey.

• Love 6
ShadowFacts, on 31 Jan 2016 - 9:31 PM, said:

Wait a moment . . . Robert was just spewing vast amounts of blood, is waiting for an ambulance, might be dying for all anyone knows, and Cora is standing calmly in the front hall continuing the discussion about the damn hospital?  Who does that?  Tom and Neville Chamberlain chatting it up while he waits for the car?  These people just don't do emergencies the way normal people do. 

Well yanno . . . Keep Calm and Carry On.

• Love 5

I agree that the hint was simply that Bertie's cousin is gay -- and that he's not likely to have an heir. 

Many gay men (including some royals) married at that time and had children. Hopefully that cousin Adele knows the situation and is content to have a title and position. And after giving birth to a heir and a spare she can live a separate life. 

In Buccaneers who dealt American heiresses who married English aristocrats one character was a duke who was a gay.  

• Love 2

I liked that Mary knew Andy's name. That seems very consistent with her character.

I think it's been ridiculous how much Isobel and Cora complain about Violet's machinations when they have been doing the same thing. It has been a dumb storyline that hasn't shown anyone in a good light.

Denker and Spratt are the worst. Daisy should go work with them.

So Mason moved in before the Drewes were out. Nice twisting of the knife there.

• Love 2

Ah, so I did miss the bit about Mrs. Patmore renting out a cottage.  So now she, the Carsons and the Bates are going in the direction of real estate.  Interesting.  I was thinking maybe Mrs. Patmore was opening a little restaurant or bakery and then leaving the Downton kitchen. 

I hope in the remaining few episodes, not everyone has to be paired up.  Leave most of the single ones single, marriage isn't the be all end all or the only prescription for happiness at any age.  The only natural, unforced pairing I would find believable if there's not going to be a time jump is that of Molesley and Baxter.  Mrs. Patmore has been hinting at the fact she would like a man in her life, but I would not like to see a leap toward the cop or Mr. Mason, not as a serious thing anyway.  Mary seems happy to be unhitched, or playing the field until somebody really lights her up--Talbot seems boring.  Tom is still mourning Sybil it seems, and that can take years.  Edith is pretty ripe I guess for a relationship that works out, but I don't have a big need to see her in one after all the damage she's done to others. 

• Love 3

Many gay men (including some royals) married at that time and had children. Hopefully that cousin Adele knows the situation and is content to have a title and position. And after giving birth to a heir and a spare she can live a separate life.

In Buccaneers who dealt American heiresses who married English aristocrats one character was a duke who was a gay.

Very true. Even today I know three gay men who were once married and have children. Is Bertie's cousin already married -- to Adele? I was doing something else when that scene was on and just caught the "paints young men in Tangiers" comment.

• Love 1

Very true. Even today I know three gay men who were once married and have children. Is Bertie's cousin already married -- to Adele? I was doing something else when that scene was on and just caught the "paints young men in Tangiers" comment.

Not already married--Bertie said he was expected to be engaged at some point to his cousin, when Edith inquired if he was not interested in marriage, after the painting young men comment.  And then he said he was a fine person. 

I think if Tom did ever remarry he would have the decency to move out. He'd probably still stay in Downton so that Sybbie could be close to the family but I can't see him even entertaining the possibility of moving a new wife into the abbey.

Yes, but it would difficult even to date someone as we have seen. One usually wants one's family get to know and like one's intended but to Robert no woman wouldn't be good enough. Although Mary had promised to support Tom, his marriage would make her lonely if she didn't marry herself.  

No, he is still single. Both his and Adele's parents planned that their children would marry.

Mary's mildness towards Edith this season makes me think Mary might be evolving a bit.  Edith slept with a man before marrying him, just as Mary did.  Though Edith did get knocked up, that's better than Mary getting a dead body, in the form of Mr. Pamuk.  I think Mary admires an occasional bold move, so I'm hoping she grudgingly gives Edith props for knocking boots with Gregson before he left for Germany.  

Edith has a totally different kind of life now, so the competition with Mary is over.  I hope the writers have Mary realize that and don't send her out as the colossal bitch she came in as.    

• Love 4

The thing is, Mrs. Hughes does know how to cook. Maybe not as good as Mrs pad more, but she can. I'm binging the previous seasons. When Mrs p is losing her eye sight and burns her hand, Mrs h makes her sit down and tells that she (Mrs h) and daisy will finish the meal.

• Love 2

I am not a particular fan of Mary; however, the response I'd like to see from her regarding the Marigold info is this:  I'd like to see her have a sincere conversation with Edith and point out to Edith that they both need to repair their relationship.  After their parents are gone, they will only have each other and they've already lost their other dear sister.  I think that Cora was correct that there are too many secrets and if Mary shared with Edith that not knowing deprived her of being a true Aunt to Marigold thus far, I think that would go a long way towards healing the sisters' relationship.  

• Love 6

This whole Mary and Marigold thing - I think if this was a previous season, Mary would wind up acting badly in some way but they are winding down and, for some reason, I don't think they will end the show with her behaving like a shrew for not having been in on the secret.  My guess is they may make it a time for a bit of self-reflection on her part, maybe have her actually think about why she was not informed - etc.  Just a guess though.

I don't think Mary is going to use this information as a weapon. Particularly in light of their father's health, Mary seemed to be stunned and thoughtful. Her expression having overheard that news seemed somewhat chastened, as if she recognized how oblivious she was to something so huge for her sister and, yes, why she was the only one not in on the secret. This would be good news, IMO, if Mary and Edith could bury the hatchet somewhat.

Also way upthread I think someone wondered how Cora could continue talking about the blasted hospital when her husband's ulcer had just burst. I think it was Violet who was badgering Cora and trying to keep the debate going, and Cora who was basically like "I've decided I disagree but I have other more important things going on right now." I might be wrong but that's how I remember the scene going.

I thought that was an unfortunately misunderstanding in the moment. Violet seemed to be trying to express her concern but Cora assumed it was just to be more badgering about the hospital.

I love that Neville Chamberlain was brought in to influence the situation but was ultimately impotent. The Tom-Chamberlain interlude was bizarre. Tom is like the Mayor of the Abbey—always chatting up some random visitor.

I loved Isobel gossiping about Denker and Spratt. I might be the only person who doesn't hate the Denker-Spratty storyline. At this point I find it such a lark. I keep joking to my husband that one day we're going to find them sharing a post-coital cigarette.

• Love 8

wrt to Marigold, I don't think that Anna "knows" ... rather she and other people have guessed ... so to repeat that suspicion to Mary, even at her requests, would be "gossiping" ... a mortal sin. Pretty sure, Robert and Cora do know because Edith confirmed to them, also Rosamund and Violet having been part of the initial "off to Switzerland" maneuver.  Interestingly Mrs. Drewe actually saw the birth certificate, but apparently is keeping Edith's secret for present (until out of frame at least).  I'm not sure if Tom and Edith have had "the conversation" rather than her passively not-denying, but I may be forgetting her confirming his suspicions. 

Mary might cagily ask Cora about Marigold ... but that would be too obvious ... and probably too dramatic ... giving Edith too much focus that "belongs" to Mary.  Edith's learning French in Switzerland for a year evoked even less interest in Mary than Mary's sketching holiday did in Edith, apparently. 

Edited by SusanSunflower
  • Love 1

I love that Neville Chamberlain was brought in to influence the situation but was ultimately impotent. The Tom-Chamberlain interlude was bizarre. Tom is like the Mayor of the Abbey—always chatting up some random visitor.

What I got out of it was that he could have intervened if he wanted to, but at the end Cora told him not to review the plan and he seemed to acquiesce in that, thereby showing deference to her as the countess, and not knuckling under to the dowager's attempt at blackmail or at least her attempt to hold some power over him because of the silly trench-digging episode decades ago.  It showed that poor Violet is not the powerhouse she imagines herself. 

• Love 1

oh, yes, Robert and Cora and the grandkids was one of the best scenes in ages ... relaxed, talky, interactive ... reminiscent of the first season when they were introduced as sublimely happy marrieds.  In hindsight it feels like a strategic reminder of why we used to like both of them so much ... Although I did laugh seeing Cora-as-Jackie Kennedy going off to the hospital all her blood stained glory with no gross blood clots to ruin the effect.  Loved Cora finally confess to the her struggle during a lifetime of being steamrollered by Violet ... 

• Love 6

I've felt all season that Mary was evolving a bit. She's kinder (for Mary) and more engaged in other people, and less sharp in her barbs or quick to anger. So I think she's not going to use Marigold as a weapon - in a way, her growth reflects Thomas' - in that he's not using Andy's illiteracy as a weapon.

I walked out of the living room into the kitchen when the blood scene happened, heard the noise of him throwing up, and went running back in. I too thought he was heading for a heart attack, so that was quite something. I've managed to remain completely unspoiled, knock-wood, and there wasn't a content warning that I saw, since I fast-forwarded right into the credits. Robert can be really dumb, but I really like Hugh Bonneville on this show, so I hope he sticks around. If they need to kill someone off, Daisy seems to be volunteering rather vehemently :)

I think the Tom/Mary scenes are some of the best - they have very good brother/sister chemistry, and he brings out a good side of her. I'd be completely fine with them both ending up alone, or with others, but not with each other. I like the improved Tom - so comfortable, smoother, confident. It's a bit much in terms of transition, but I can overlook it. I also like the in-charge, but nicer, Mary. Having a purpose has been good for her, I think. I agree her chemistry with Henry is terrible, but bringing back Evelyn or someone else seems lame too. 4 episodes to go, so we'll see what they do.

• Love 3
I sense you're right that the show will have this be some kind of ammunition for Mary, but for the life of me I can't figure out why she'd care. Yes, she finds Edith annoying, and it satisfies her for some reason to attack her self-esteem in petty ways at every opportunity, but what large thing has Edith done to her that she hasn't already her extracted her revenge for a hundred times over? I can accept her everlasting despising of Edith--that seems consistent with her character--but I can't find the reason it would profit her to use the nuclear option of Marigold against her. If the show does go down that road, I'm going to have a major problem believing it.

Milburn, I have a theory for this in a later thread which I can't include or discuss here. But if you don't mind, be on the lookout for my post after certain events as the season winds down.

Those hoping for Napier should just stop it. He's done and done for. If Blake and Gilingham didn't happen how on earth will Napier happen???

Edited by skyways
  • Love 1

Edith obviously has help at the flat, unless she’s been taking lemon peel twist classes.  Unless she has Audrey-at-the-office make them after work.

Well, they are going to have a heck of a time getting the blood out of that tablecloth.

I was thinking of the rug!

Actually, Hugh Bonneville spewed so powerfully that it hit Elizabeth McGovern even though it wasn’t expected to. They had multiple sets of table covers and place settings to do multiple takes, but nobody expected it to hit the other actors.  It ruined that beautiful vintage gown Elizabeth McGovern was wearing.  They managed to “clean” it up enough to use it for the rest of the episode, but the application of whatever they used to clean it ate right through the 100 year old fabric. It also came within a few inches of hitting the actual Highclere castle rug, which had been covered to protect it... but only just barely past the point where the “blood” landed.

Apparently though they did a bunch of takes, they kept the first one with it hitting Cora, because everybody was so genuinely horrified at its magnitude that it played perfectly with the horror that such a thing would actually cause.

I have to say, I gave out a little scream of horror and paused the remote – only to have it paused on splattered Cora.  NOT your usual Downton Abbey freeze frame!

English version viewers seem to comment on something medical Carson said that made him look stupid. – did we see that scene and I just forgot it?  Can’t figure out what they’re referring to.

I think Mary will probably be most upset at the fact that everyone else in Downton knew about Marigold, but honestly I don't think she really even cared enough about Edith to begin to put that together.

I think her hurt will be that literally EVERYbody (that she cares about, anyway, excepting Carson) knew, and knew she didn’t know, and knew she didn’t know because nobody wanted her to know.  And the reason they didn’t want her to know was very much to do with her character, and what they understand of it.  Violet has called her on it before – her lack of compassion.  When the Dowager thinks you need to dial back your spite, you know where you stand.  Even when you kinda sorta embrace your bitchy persona, it’s a cold bucket of water in the face to realize that the people closest to you don’t trust you.

• Love 8

oh, yes, Robert and Cora and the grandkids was one of the best scenes in ages ... relaxed, talky, interactive ... reminiscent of the first season when they were introduced as sublimely happy marrieds.  In hindsight it feels like a strategic reminder of why we used to like both of them so much ... Although I did laugh seeing Cora-as-Jackie Kennedy going off to the hospital all her blood stained glory with no gross blood clots to ruin the effect.  Loved Cora finally confess to the her struggle during a lifetime of being steamrollered by Violet ... 

I think it's also indicative of just how many times that Hugh Bonneville & Elizabeth McGovern have worked together.  I think Robert/Cora is the third husband/wife pairing they've played. IMDb used to allow for joint projects but I can't figure out if it does anymore.

• Love 1

yes, I thought McGovern and Bonneville really showed their stuff ... putting the younger set in their place  ... imagine that same scene with Tom and Mary or Tom and Edith (all of whom are played by very good actors) , I doubt it would have been matched both in naturalness and how relaxed and responsive the children were ... it was also nice to see the children calmly acting like children in an extended scene.  So often they seem absorbed in hitting their marks ... 

Edited by SusanSunflower
  • Love 1

In that case, why are Henry Talbot and Bertie Pelham still single?

What's wrong with them?

Bertie is a non entity. Not terribly wealthy or titled, not that bad looking but also not that good looking... He's also clearly a bit shy about girls (to me at least).

Henry is, to me, kind of similar. He's not terribly wealthy or titled. He's nice looking, but he's also pretty away that he is nice looking and pretty aware that he is a *race car driver* and the coolest kid with the coolest job and it seems to be all about Henry in his mind. He's that single guy who is fun to hang out with but now that he's in his thirties, you kinda start to wonder if he's ever going to leave high school.

• Love 4

I was rather hoping that Henry would be developed as a Bertie ... in Wooster and Jeeves, since I can see Goode playing  Hugh Laurie ... with l.o.v.e. (love) turning Mary into a full-on flapper ... (and then as a couple they would morph gradually into Edward and Wallace Simpson ... ) 

Edited by SusanSunflower
  • Love 1

What else would you call him? But then we don't know the ages of the young men.

Edited by caligirl50
English version viewers seem to comment on something medical Carson said that made him look stupid. – did we see that scene and I just forgot it?  Can’t figure out what they’re referring to.

Carson took the call about the earl's condition and then related what Mary had said onto the staff. He said that the earl had had "a gastrectomy." and someone - Barrow - I think, asked what that was, and Carson looked ruffled and said that he was sure that that was none of their business or something to that effect.

I don't think it made Carson look stupid - a little ridiculous maybe - because it seemed clear that he didn't know the meaning of the word and wasn't merely trying to protect the earl's privacy, but it's not like a butler ought to know about stomach surgeries.

• Love 1

Henry is, to me, kind of similar. He's not terribly wealthy or titled. He's nice looking, but he's also pretty away that he is nice looking and pretty aware that he is a *race car driver* and the coolest kid with the coolest job and it seems to be all about Henry in his mind. He's that single guy who is fun to hang out with but now that he's in his thirties, you kinda start to wonder if he's ever going to leave high school.

LOL!

• Love 1

What have I missed with Mrs. Patmore being ready to open something for which Mrs. Hughes says she just needs customers?

Mrs. Patmore bought a small cottage. I thought she was renovating it to rent out, so "customers" would mean tenants, although that's an odd term for them. The Carsons were the ones planning a small inn, right?

Mrs Patmore is planning to turn her cottage into a bed-and-breakfast until she is ready to retire - that was what gave Carson the idea of doing likewise, which in a roundabout sort of way triggered his proposal to Mrs Hughes.

• Love 1

Not already married--Bertie said he was expected to be engaged at some point to his cousin, when Edith inquired if he was not interested in marriage, after the painting young men comment.  And then he said he was a fine person. 

So I'm thinking he may turn out a bit like Sebastian in "Brideshead Revisited" and not be the type who could be induced to marry. Thus, no heir.

Lol I wonder if the effects/props department were just excited to do something with a lot of blood. I mean they had a lot to do with it in season 2 with the war but this is one of the least bloody shows on tv. It was like a last hurrah.

Somebody over on gofugyourself.com said that this is exactly what a burst ulcer looks like.  She had it happen to her. 

So....yikes!

• Love 1

What else would you call him? But then we don't know the ages of the young men.

In the dictionary I consulted, a pederast is defined as a man who desires or engages in sexual activity with a boy.  Bertie specifically said his cousin liked to paint "the young men of Tangier" - implying, to me at least, that he's interested in men, not boys.

• Love 1

Here is an article about the filming of the dinner scene.  Interesting stuff.  I love peeks behind the scenes.

Yes, the scene with the grandparents and children was adorable.  Hugh Bonneville and the little one who plays Sybbie have a great rapport.

• Love 7

Mrs Patmore is planning to turn her cottage into a bed-and-breakfast until she is ready to retire - that was what gave Carson the idea of doing likewise, which in a roundabout sort of way triggered his proposal to Mrs Hughes.

Good plan, but who is going to run the B&B before Mrs. P retires? I suppose we'll never see these details worked out.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 1

Even though Henry is probably end game, I still have a soft spot for Evelyn Napier. He's always struck me as such a nice guy, though he's probably too nice for Mary.

I know a lot of people really like Matthew Goode, but I haven't felt the chemistry with him and Mary yet. I like the idea that someone mentioned above, that Mary ends up "married to" the estate rather than a guy. It's hard to find someone who's well-matched to Mary in terms of strength of personality, never mind other factors.

Bertie and Edith, on the other hand, fit together really well, and he just seems like a sweetheart. If JF really plans to pair off everyone, as some have speculated, he doesn't have much time to find someone for Tom. And a Daisy-Andy pairing just feels contrived to me.

But I'd love to see Baxter and Molesley declare their love for each other. Their scenes together are really good, to the point that I didn't even mind the anti-climactic non-trial for the guy who Baxter says ruined her life.

• Love 3

Mary looked especially bony and more Johnny Depp as trippy Willy Wonka than usual in that scene when she and Tom Branson were walking in the field having the convo about her not marrying down. The costumes are amazing but she looked like a trippy steampunk scarecrow. I've never cared for that bob haircut.

I read somewhere that Elizabeth Mcgovern's dress was a casualty of the Red Dinner. And it was vintage. They didn't think he'd spew the blood that far. They ruined it cleaning it between takes. The scenes, shot out of sequence meant she had to wear the ruined dress with a lot of glue in a scene of that night that took place before the dinner.

Not a Henry Talbot fan. He looks like a mortician did his makeup eyeliner and all. He's so bland.

Edith looked beautiful in the kiss scene. I am happy for her.

• Love 6

Mrs. Hughes and Carson talked about purchasing an inn (something I can't remember if they ended up going through with or not)

He decided on a place and showed her the deed he was about to sign, and the fact that he added her name to it without any financial contribution on her part. Which brought him to proposing. Now, whether they wound up with the property or not is something they never followed up on, but by that point (Christmas episode, previous season) he was ready to sign on the dotted line. I don't get why there's been no mention of it.

I'll give this show credit where due, they can still surprise me. I was completely unspoiled this season and did not expect that bloodbath in the dining room. Naturally I was waiting for Robert to keel over but I never figured on any kind of explosive gore. I was shocked.

I really don't get what's going on with Daisy. If it's the general consensus that she simply doesn't want to "share" Mr. Mason with anyone else they didn't manage to convey that very well, despite Mrs. Patmore saying something to that effect. I kind of got the impression there was something else going on with her and couldn't figure out what it was.

I'm glad they finally addressed why Andy has been giving Thomas the cold shoulder but I figured it was less about giving him the "wrong idea" and more about not wanting anyone to associated him with Thomas for fear of his own reputation. In either case if he was really concerned enough about it to shun him at every turn I found it a little unlikely he wouldn't have panicked or protested when Thomas came into the room and shut the door. 

When Cora and Robert were having their scene with the grandchildren it struck me that we have never seen Isobel have any interaction with her grandson at all. Which strikes me as odd since he's all that's left of Matthew, but I don't suppose the writer considers it important enough to waste screen time on.

Then again I can't imagine why Julian Fellowes thinks anyone who watches this show gives a tinkers damn about Spratt and Denker. 

• Love 3

Actually, Hugh Bonneville spewed so powerfully that it hit Elizabeth McGovern even though it wasn’t expected to. They had multiple sets of table covers and place settings to do multiple takes, but nobody expected it to hit the other actors.  It ruined that beautiful vintage gown Elizabeth McGovern was wearing.  They managed to “clean” it up enough to use it for the rest of the episode, but the application of whatever they used to clean it ate right through the 100 year old fabric. It also came within a few inches of hitting the actual Highclere castle rug, which had been covered to protect it... but only just barely past the point where the “blood” landed.

I read somewhere that Elizabeth Mcgovern's dress was a casualty of the Red Dinner. And it was vintage. They didn't think he'd spew the blood that far. They ruined it cleaning it between takes. The scenes, shot out of sequence meant she had to wear the ruined dress with a lot of glue in a scene of that night that took place before the dinner.

Perhaps the Queen will ennoble Hugh Bonneville as the Earl of Hurl.

• Love 6
When Cora and Robert were having their scene with the grandchildren it struck me that we have never seen Isobel have any interaction with her grandson at all. Which strikes me as odd since he's all that's left of Matthew, but I don't suppose the writer considers it important enough to waste screen time on.

Then again I can't imagine why Julian Fellowes thinks anyone who watches this show gives a tinkers damn about Spratt and Denker. 

I think that the italicized section of that sentence should be as follows:

"I don't suppose The Writer considers it important enough to waste screen time on."

Ti ck, tick, tick JF.  There are not many minutes left for us to enjoy.  Use them more wisely than you have been.

Why waste time on Denker and Spratt, neither of whom raised their ugly heads until last season.  Nobody cares about either of them.  Ti ck, tick, tick. 
“Sgt. Willis says Baxter needs to testify”, “No, I don’t want to”, “Yes, you really should”, “I’m telling Cora on you”, “Well, OK, maybe I will after all”, NEVER MIND.  What the hell was THAT all about?  Tick, tick, tick.

Let’s have some scenes of old race cars with the hero looking back to see the opponent gaining on him.  Massive bore. Tick, tick, tick.

Mary and the totally generic “love interest” generating as much heat as a 40 watt bulb.  Tick, tick, tick.

JF dropping anvils all over the place with the Earl periodically clutching his middle over the past few episodes to ostensibly lead toward a conclusion on the hospital most-boring-plot-of-all-time. However, has the conclusion has been reached or we will have more debates (tick, tick,tick) in coming episodes.  Will Vi win out because they were able to save the Earl in the local hospital?  Will the opposing faction claim he would have have needed surgery if they had been about to treat  him more effectively?  Who knows?  Who cares?

Quite the stiff upper lip there, Cora.  I’m surprised she didn’t write letters of apology for distressing her guests and a personal apology to Mrs. Patmore for ruining the dinner.

• Love 5

When did Tom become such a sage philosopher concerning all things life and love?

And what makes him think every other character needs to hear him spout his superior wisdom at every turn?

At this point Tom is one good suntan away from becoming a magical Negro.

The first story that Chamberlain mentioned was true:  Hugh Cole and friends dressed up as a party from the Abyssinian embassy and were given a tour of a brand new Royal Navy vessal.  One of the friends was Virginia Woolf.

• Love 7

McGovern is never going to outlive the gifs of her getting splattered.

And poor Robert is about to spend the remainder of his life drinking vast quantities of milk which were considered just the thing for ulcers, but which inevitably made them worse.  George will be an old man before they debunk the milk for ulcers cure, though.  

Edited by kassa
  • Love 1

Mary looked especially bony and more Johnny Depp as trippy Willy Wonka than usual in that scene when she and Tom Branson were walking in the field having the convo about her not marrying down. The costumes are amazing but she looked like a trippy steampunk scarecrow. I've never cared for that bob haircut.

Not a Henry Talbot fan. He looks like a mortician did his makeup eyeliner and all. He's so bland.

Edith looked beautiful in the kiss scene. I am happy for her.

The Red Dinner! 

Henry is so lifeless. But in some ways I think that was an aristocratic "pose" in those days. I wouldn't be surprised if we learned he'd taken up with Bertie's cousin in Tangiers.

Need to re-watch but I noticed vaguely at some point that Cora's dress looked odd in the neckline area. Guess that was after they'd tried to clean/save it.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 2