Type keyword(s) to search

Reel to Real: Backstage, Twitter, & All Media Dram-ugh

• Start Topic

I really thought he was being set up to replace EB.

Me too but EB apparently has a death grip on TPTB's balls.

I remember when we thought Tucker McCall was going to be the new and improved top dog billionaire and we saw how that went. Tucker hasn't been on the screen in years but the story on him now is that he's apparently lost a lot of his mental faculties and is wandering the Himalayas in some kind of spiritual quest. Ouch.

I shudder to think how they're going to write Ashland out but boy do I wish it is revealed that he was never ill and he had a long con going to get control of NE via the merger. Meanwhile, if Victoria's going to be single again I hope this doesn't put her and Billy back in play.

• Useful 2
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Meanwhile, if Victoria's going to be single again I hope this doesn't put her and Billy back in play.

For real! Her relationship with Ashland has made Victoria an interesting character for the first time in… decades? I hope she doesn’t go back to being the weak woman looking for Daddy’s approval

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, SweePea59 said:

Since HT left the role.

lol exactly what I was thinking! But I sometimes stop watching the show for years so I was leaving room for some benefit of the doubt. Thanks for the confirmation. 
Meanwhile HT is COMPLETELY wasted (and not in the good way) on B&B and ideally should be traded back to Y&R

• LOL 2
  • Love 10

Richard Burgi leaving??  I'm going for a major sulk over this.  We lost him but we are still stuck with Jason Thompson and his fuglehorn imitation of a minor offshoot of a darwinian deadend of an aarvark/humanoid mating gone bad.

Good Lord.

giphy.gif

Yep, I'm sulking.....

Edited by boes
  • LOL 14
  • Love 6

I would love it if they recast Ashland but I am seriously going to miss Richard Burgi in the role....

I liked his portrayal from the very beginning and then as he romanced Victoria and married her .....

....even though he has been neutralized recently I still liked him because he’s a fabulous actor and very handsome and blows a lot of these other “actors” out of the water

So curious if it was his idea or the show’s

Either way, good luck Richard !

Edited by SiouxB
  • Love 15
2 hours ago, boes said:

Richard Burgi leaving??  I'm going for a major sulk over this.  We lost him but we are still stuck with Jason Thompson and his fuglehorn imitation of a minor offshoot of a darwinian deadend of an aarvark/humanoid mating gone bad.

Good Lord.

giphy.gif

Yep, I'm sulking.....

Awww, what if they recast the role with Ray Wise? Would that perk you up some?

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I shudder to think how they're going to write Ashland out but boy do I wish it is revealed that he was never ill and he had a long con going to get control of NE via the merger. 

That would be great.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Up to, and including Sharon.

ESPECIALLY Sharon.  That might finally put the roses into Rey Rey's cheeks and make Adam think twice.

Nick wouldn't notice.  Y'all know he wouldn't.  

• LOL 16
14 minutes ago, Tammy12 said:

WOW. Did not see this coming. I've missed Robert Newman since GL went off screens, looking forward to seeing what this is like

https://daytimeconfidential.com/2022/01/11/robert-newman-heads-to-the-young-and-the-restless-as-ashland-locke

I’m in !!!!

I’m very sorry to see Richard leave because I was a tremendous fan of his .....but I remember Robert Newman from guiding light and always loved him so welcome Robert !!

and I am happy that the character is staying

• Love 15
15 minutes ago, Tammy12 said:

WOW. Did not see this coming. I've missed Robert Newman since GL went off screens, looking forward to seeing what this is like

https://daytimeconfidential.com/2022/01/11/robert-newman-heads-to-the-young-and-the-restless-as-ashland-locke

Hmmmm........I didn't watch GL but I guess I've seen enough to remember him pretty well.  I'm interested to see how this works out.  Robert Newman's background is solidly soap so perhaps that will help.

Maybe?

• Useful 2
  • Love 7

I will certainly miss RB, although I can't say I'm surprised. TIIC clearly had no idea what to do with an actor of his caliber. 

I don't know what to think about the implications of him being fired from the show vs moving on.

I am intrigued by Robert "Josh Lewis" being recast.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

I didn't watch GL and am not familiar with Robert Newman. The googles reveal he's about the same age as RB; however, he reads older to me. Maybe the writers are about to take the character in a different direction? Hmm. I wish him luck stepping into the Ashland role. Viewer expectations will be high.

So RB was fired. (Maybe.) I can't imagine why unless TPTB wanted to reduce his salary and he wouldn't agree to it. Sigh.

• Love 11

I’m kind of surprised that Richard Burgi was fired if that was the case. He was a great asset but they kept rewriting Ashland’s backstory that he didn’t have anything to work with. Also, they spent so much airtime, time and money on the wedding which is a real head scratcher.  Just got the impression the show was all in on Burgi. That said, I’m a huge Robert Newman fan and I’m looking forward to see him in the role but I’m also shocked because he said he didn’t want to do daytime again and especially since they are all on the west coast. Of course, a lot of them all travel here and there for their soap gigs. They are both 63 which is helpful (I guess). AH is only 48 and I was always thought Burgi and now Newman were too old for her. I think Ashland should be with someone older like MTS who is 65. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

I wonder why they got rid of RB, he's certainly a higher caliber actor than a lot of the people who have been on this soap for years now. I would have liked to see Robert Newman come in as some other currently off-canvas character or a new character but interested to see what unfolds.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

To me, Richard Burgi always played the role in a way that made you feel you could never quite trust him, so I didn’t get into his character much. I’ve only returned recently to the show and missed all of the romance with Victoria so it’s the only side I saw.

Robert Newman made me trust his Josh for many, many years, not sure if that will be a switch or if RN will play against type, but I’m here for it.

As much as I like RN though, I would’ve liked to see a younger man opposite AH. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I was a fan of Robert Newman on GL years ago. He and Reva could light up the screen. I’m ready to give him a chance as Ashland but the truth is, I’m not sure anyone could bring AH to life. I never believed her relationship with Ashland because I don’t think she’s a very good actress. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I think Ashland should be with someone older like MTS who is 65. 

That might make an interesting story.  Victoria playing office and most of the current SLs are boring.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Tammy12 said:

On RB's instagram story he's saying that he was let get due to inadvertently breaking the show's covid restrictions by returning to work too soon after testing positive over the holidays. Here's a link to his profile for anyone who is interested: https://instagram.com/dick_burgi

If that's the case, suddenly I'm not missing him so much.

• Love 11

Just a little confused by the Burgi IG post. Did he tell TPTB that he has tested positive and the date or did he left that out? Like, did he say it happened on such a date and they told him you came back too soon or something? I doubt he lied but forgot about the length of time he could have returned ? Just curious.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Just a little confused by the Burgi IG post. Did he tell TPTB that he has tested positive and the date or did he left that out? Like, did he say it happened on such a date and they told him you came back too soon or something? I doubt he lied but forgot about the length of time he could have returned ? Just curious.

He tested positive over the xmas holiday when he was away visiting family. He followed the CDC guidelines - and quarantined for 5 days. Then he tested negative twice at the studio. However, the show has a 10 day quarantine policy which apparently has not changed to reflect the CDC guidelines. So they let him go and hired someone else, basically overnight. To me, it sounds fishy on the part of the show. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 7

It looks like he did feel like he needed to clarify things since his wife had put it out there publicly that he was fired and that he didn't exit by choice. I'll still miss him in the role. Even though Richard didn't sport facial hair as Ashland I'm hoping Richard does. No offense to Richard but facial hair works for him a bit more.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 3

I'm not sure there's any controversy here.

He went off of the CDC guidelines, which he freely admits the show had not yet adopted (and may not adopt for the foreseeable future, which is their right) and paid the price.

Given the departures of ex-Chance (Danny Boaz) and the recent firings of long-time cast members on General Hospital (cough - ex-Dylan/Steve Burton), shows aren't playing around.

I still wish him well, but on not being as cautious, especially with that hoe Omicron, I'm kind of:

well-bye.gif

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 7

I think there's more shades of gray with this one versus Burton outright refusing to be vaccinated which was mandated 

RB went with CDC instead of network. His mistake was not verifying with network before returning. They could have gave him slap on wrist since it was so much change going on during that time. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

I watched an interview a while back with Guiding Light former co-stars and one asked Newman if he was going to be on Y&R. He obviously didn't want to respond. I thought it was odd then, now I know why.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

They were looking for an excuse to fire him just like Donny Boaz. They probably already had RN on contract. I doubt they would fire PB or the Staph Infection for the same violation. 

Edited by Runningwild
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Artsda said:

I think there's more shades of gray with this one versus Burton outright refusing to be vaccinated which was mandated 

RB went with CDC instead of network. His mistake was not verifying with network before returning. They could have gave him slap on wrist since it was so much change going on during that time. 

I'm not suggesting this one is the same as the others I mentioned, merely that given those actions, it would have made sense for him to double-check with the network execs or whomever the point of contact was (who were the actual decision-makers not the CDC) vs assuming.

Given we are still very much in a pandemic situation with over 5.5 million dead worldwide, a simple phone call or text to clarify on RB's part was hardly too much to ask.

I'll go against the grain and say that I'm glad to see the show holding the line here. Until I see actual evidence of favoritism and looking the other way with others in these circumstances, I think they made the right call here.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9