Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: Breaking Down Barriers

• Start Topic

So let me get this straight... Sam got Neil to agree to move into her place and then drops the bombs on him that:

1) She isn't going to move any over her clothes to make room for him.

2) She isn't going to go make him a spare key.

Mmm.... okay.   What a bitch.  RUN NEIL RUN!  

Ashley is hopeless because she really thinks she is trying.  David looked like all the air just got let out of his sails, and he might start to show some backbone and speak up about Ashley not showing up at all.

Trey seemed very calm, insightful and mature this episode.  

• Love 9

Dr Fullofshititis in Chief here to bullshit us and the contestants some more :

Vanessa and Tres were matched because they were both abandoned. What a fucking stupid thing to do and admit to.
At this point there relationship is very pleasant. I feel that they are being edited like Jaclyn and Ryan from season 2. The golden couple. I still don’t trust Tres and I can tell he’s saying what the experts/Vanessa/The viewers want to hear. Vanessa knows this too. I think her trust issues go beyond her family history and are mostly based off the vibes she’s getting from Tres. Tres also says the right thing but his body language when he’s sitting next to Vanessa is very telling. The dude is not that into her.

Sam is being a troll at this point.  Sam knows that quitting the show means that she’ll forfeit the $$$, so she’s trying to make Neil quit first. Who the fuck does she think she is kicking him out the house? And Neil being the pussy that he is sits outside and comes back to tell her he’s sorry. FOR WHAT? I still maintain that Neil in is a virgin. Maybe not asexual, but at least a virgin. I cannot explain him wanting to stay with Sam other than because she’s his best shot at having sex. Sam also admitted to relaxing in Sammie’s room. I wonder if the relaxing involves licking of some type.....

MustAShely and Dave. Nothing new. She doesn’t give a shit about him and there’s nothing he can do to make her change her mind.

Edited by moonxyz
  • Love 4

Ha ha, you sound like the Diane character on Black-ish. She always calls her twin "Friend." And yeah, he's a cutie. I actually though Ashley was attracted to him, with the flirty and the giggly. Because we know girlie can be cold as shit when she's not feeling you, she's not gonna pretend. She was probably sitting there lamenting that HE wasn't the one. I doubt Belle would be on the bed if he was on the other side.

Agreed-she was all over that guy like a cheap suit.

Sam's behavior is horrid,  i felt so bad when Neil actually apologized.  He should feel okay to say that after one night he determined it wouldnt work living in Sams and Sammys house.  I dont think his jab was bad at all, as ususal Sam can dish it but not take it.

i also agree with the previous poster, Ashley had the opportunity to say what she felt about David and her lack of attraction with Dr C sitting there and didnt spit it out.  She did however give David "the look" when he tried to console her by patting her back.  Even Dr C noticed that

I almost fell off the couch when she shot David the Death Glare for having the audacity to reach out and try and offer a comforting gesture as she cried. She is awful.

As for the horrible Sam--words fail. Really. "there's no room for your stuff, and I don't want to give you a key, and hey, clean up the kitchen while my roommate and I go and read each other diaries...." and she only sees that he changed his mind? And takes that as a personal affront?  Maybe, just maybe, he thought that you might act like a decent human being. She'd make him sleep in the yard if she could.

•• I thought I remember Neil saying something to Sam about wanting to look for another place of their own after they moved into her place. Maybe I'm wrong.

It's obvious to me that she wanted to move back into her place so she could have ALL the control. Who wants to be in a relationship where they have to CONSTANTLY fight for control? It would be exhausting! I've also been trying to like Sam- to see where she's coming from. But this episode did it for me did it for me. She's just plain dumb. She has a GREAT guy in Neil & she continues to sabotage her relationship with him every chance she gets. She obviously wasn't even close to being ready to get married to anyone! You mean to tell me that these "experts" didn't see that?! It's really unfortunate for Neil- because he deserves so much better.

I felt so bad for Neil when he was talking about planning her birthday party--he really wants a companion and someone to share with. He's the kind of guy who loves to plan little surprises and do fun things, whether its go ATV-ing or hitting the flea markets on a weekend or cooking dinner together. He talks about how nice it is to do something for Sam, Sam talks about "how fun this was for ME, how Neil is learning about ME, MEMEMEMEMEME" not a word about how kind he is, how thoughtful, or what she's contributing to this venture. Gah, I loathe her. 

Edited by Pepper Mostly
  • Love 14

• Sam - Just when I think I cannot hate her more, boom, she out does herself.  I almost have to admire her ability to week after week be the most obnoxious person on this show ever...and up her game at that as well.  She claims she needs a man to put her in her place which is downright bizarre to begin with, and then when Neil does stand up for himself, he has supposed broken the Sam Rules of Engagement which states you must come after her IMMEDIATELY after some of her batshit utterances and not after 24 hours of trying to make her awful living arrangements work.

Neil - Please please please please just 'say' that you are looking for another place and just remain in your home.  I just hope that on the reunion show, you open up and blast that horrific human being you were paired with

Ashley - I actually saw some emotion from HAL 9000 but does she think that going along and not saying anything what she is really 'feeling' for three weeks and yes, leading David on by not telling him the 'truth' is doing him any justice?  He is jumping through impossibly high hoops and when he does so, all she does is raise them up even higher.

David - From the first show, I thought David was going to become Basement Ryan where he 'says' he wants affection from his spouse but the minute he got it from her, he turns and runs ( re: the 'online dating' profile in the season preview) but David is clearly getting nowhere and there are no 'breaking down barriers' , so I don't blame him one bit if he does truly start looking elsewhere

Vanessa - She is becoming more annoying with every episode and her fears of a self fulfilling prophecy.  Also just because she got rejected by her father does not mean in order to solve that devastating loss, to get married.  Get therapy instead so that you are better equipped to get married.  And also, how does she think that she will overcome her trust issues with men by appearing on a reality show and having a blind date marriage?  Seriously?

Tres - I am coming around on him...I thought he was too much of a player and immature at this stage in his life for this, but I think that Vanessa is now the more immature one.  He seems to be more in touch emotionally than she is by a lot. 

The Show - Either get some new experts and/or cast this show better.  Also enough of the reality show bullshit and make this more of a documentary.  Stop creating situations (everyone celebrate Father's Day, everyone have friends over the same week, etc.) and let these couples TRULY be real

• Love 9

Sam Logic: I get to call you fake, but if you call me fake, FUCK YOU I'M KICKING YOU OUT OF MY HOUSE FUCK YOU AGAIN. What a goddamn psychopath. Even if Neil wasn't kidding, he would have been totally justified in responding that way. She really is completely awful. And if she really does feel badly about how she was acting looking back on it, my only question would be: when do you STOP being such a horrible bitch? 

Ashley reminds me of a former friend who would always pick her mates based on how hot they are. Our friendship ended 5 1/2 years ago when she ripped apart the looks of my new boyfriend, which nobody asked her opinion about. That boyfriend is now my husband, and my former friend is in her late 30s and still single. To me, there is nothing sadder than a woman of marrying age (and WANTING marriage) who chooses boyfriends based exclusively on "hotness."

• Love 15

I really struggle with some of the comments made about Ashley's looks.  These are everyday people, not fantasies from a movie set. It's ironic that Ashley is so criticized as horrendously shallow for being focused solely on looks, but  then she is ripped apart for any  (commonly human) feature that is less than absolute perfection.  

I'm no fan of Ashley's personality, and worse--her attitude.  But as normal people go I think she is pretty. Not everyone has to agree, But isn't the point of the entire Ashley/David experiment--and the others as well--to make time to work past the superficial and perhaps find attraction in someone's personality?  

• Love 13

They keep showing us previews of the final episode.  Sam and Neil are squeezing hands and Sam is crying.  David and Ashley couldn't sit farther apart if they were on different sofas and V&T are just blank.  I know that is for the audience and surprises will surface.  But it is still telling.

Very interesting when Dr C tried to talk with Ashley about her only going for certain looks and she had told the experts she new it was wrong.  Dr C tried to get her to understand, couldn't - wouldn't

Neil - Sam is just a nut case.  I also noticed her agreeing with Dr C with the bobblehead.  she wasn't even listening, just showing the audience that she agreed.  Exactly what she claims Neil does

V&T - traveling to SC to visit her friends and family was a nice touch.  I wish the episodes were more of things being done that rehashing of what was said and repeating the previous moment.  I am sure they is enough footage to make it more interesting.  unless the footage shows how fake the whole thing is

• Love 3

This is my first season watching this show, so I'm a latecomer.  Watching some of these interactions has been absolutely infuriating.  Of all six of these people, it's more than obvious that only Vanessa, Neil, David, and possibly Tres were even remotely ready to consider fully committing to their partners. 

Tres and Vanessa : I love her.  She seems nice, intelligent and real.  If Tres can be patient and commit to the process of gaining her trust, he'll have a fantastic wife.  It's not her fault that her piece of shit father basically discarded her at the age of 18 (daaamn), leaving her with some very understandable emotional scars.  As for Tres, I do worry that he has some tomcat tendencies, but I still think he's a decent guy.  If he can get the youthful partying out of his system, I think he has the potential to be a good husband.  That being said, it's clear (to me, anyway) that she is much more into him than vice-versa. 

David and Ashley: Bless his heart.  He tries so hard.  It infuriates me that he was paired with Ashley.  She treats him horribly and acts as if he’s not good enough for her physically.  He may give off a bit of a schmucky vibe, but I think he would make a great husband (and eventually, a father) to the right girl.  Ashley clearly isn’t the right girl.  When David picked Ashley up and playfully bear-hugged her onto the bed and she scooted away from him as fast as she could, I wanted to slap her.  David blamed the dog for being a cock-block because he couldn’t bear to place the blame where it belonged: on Ashley.  The kindest thing for her to do at this point would be to let him walk away from this mess.

Neil and Sam: He brings out the mama bear in me, big time.  He might not be as traditionally good looking as Sam would like, but he seems like a nice, funny, ethical, intelligent person who is genuinely willing to at least give this a try.  Hell, I’d date him, myself.  It's more than obvious that Sam is not interested in him at all.  It’s very interesting that the women on this show seem much more shallow than the men.

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 14

I want to smack the living shit out of Sam. Just who in the hell does this bitch think she is? As usual, Neil bends over backwards to try to please her, birthday and all, and what has she done for him besides refuse to give him closet space,  or a key, and bitch her ass off because he woke her up for no reason?  NOBODY has to wonder why she can't have a successful relationship. And Neil, please stop apologizing. It does make you look weak. 

It was nice to see David with his buddy's. They are all nice, normal, decent looking guys. Ashley will never fit in. Not that she wants to. I enjoyed watching her wipe away her fake dry tears from the corners of her eyes. Please. David looked like he was pretty much done with her during that meet up with the Dr. 

I think Vanessa is adorable. Trey is growing on me. 

• Love 6

I almost fell off the couch when she shot David the Death Glare for having the audacity to reach out and try and offer a comforting gesture as she cried. She is awful.

Ha! That is because David touched her back and of course, he isn't allowed to do that. He is stranger!!

• Love 8

I am done with Ashley....done done done. 

David seems like a nice guy...she is devoid of any emotion it seems. Granted, with editing we might not see the whole picture but she doesn't even try.  

• Love 4

One observation on David and Ashley: I can completely understand David's frustration at Ashley's coldness and refusal to even try.

However - 

I've been around men like him before, who will make a few brief attempts at getting intimate but then - if you don't respond quickly enough - simply throw their hands up in frustration and walk away. It's as if they walk up to you, try for a hug or a kiss, and start a timer. If they don't get the response they want in five seconds, or one minute, or whatever it is, they're instantly annoyed and frustrated and that's it.

Having that "timer" hanging over your head can cause anyone to shut down. I would have advised David to go all James Bond on Ashley and take no notice of how she responded at all - just be super cool about the whole thing and even act like it didn't matter to him in the least. I'll bet that would have made some kind of difference!

Now, don't getta me wrong-o - Ashley is making a terrible show here. But I can tell you from personal experience that a guy who will simply let you respond as you feel - even if it's to respond with "nothing" at first - and doesn't show his frustration or make you feel like shite for not responding quickly enough - can make all the difference in the world. I'm still with the one who showed patience, and it's wonderful. :)

Just an observation from someone who's kinda been there.

• Love 6

I want to smack the living shit out of Sam. Just who in the hell does this bitch think she is? As usual, Neil bends over backwards to try to please her, birthday and all, and what has she done for him besides refuse to give him closet space,  or a key, and bitch her ass off because he woke her up for no reason?  NOBODY has to wonder why she can't have a successful relationship. And Neil, please stop apologizing. It does make you look weak. 

It was nice to see David with his buddy's. They are all nice, normal, decent looking guys. Ashley will never fit in. Not that she wants to. I enjoyed watching her wipe away her fake dry tears from the corners of her eyes. Please. David looked like he was pretty much done with her during that meet up with the Dr. 

I think Vanessa is adorable. Trey is growing on me. 

I did read a recent interview with them and Sam realized how horrible she was...at least she owns it. I like Neil...he is a nice guy!

I hope David can find a lovely woman. 

Sam - over giving you the benefit of the doubt:  Not sure what you were ready for, but Marriage, it ain't!

Ashley - remind me, again, what part of 'Marrying a complete stranger I had no part in selecting' appealed to you?  I have seen loaves of Wonderbread with a greater sense of adventure.

• Love 7

I'm no fan of Ashley's personality, and worse--her attitude.  But as normal people go I think she is pretty. Not everyone has to agree, But isn't the point of the entire Ashley/David experiment--and the others as well--to make time to work past the superficial and perhaps find attraction in someone's personality?

I certainly agree that Ashley is pretty.  But if the point of the experiment is to go past the superficial, she isn't even trying. Both people in a marriage (or whatever the heck this is--I hate thinking of this nonsense as real marriages) have to make an effort.  You can't have one person giving 100% and the other person just going through the motions.  

This is actually true of all the couples to a certain extent.  I think David is giving 100% and Ashley is giving zero.  Neil started out high at 80% or so and has dropped down to maybe 50%.  Sam is maybe giving 10%, though in her mind I think she's giving 100%.

And Tres and Vanessa?  God I love those two.  Don't think they are going to make it but I think they are both at least giving 75%.  Maybe they have a chance.

• Love 3

Ok, I said it last week but I miss Sean and Davina (and I didn't even like them). This season is so boring. Just when I think it can't get more boring, it does!

When does this train wreck end? They are at week 3 and it feels like week 10.

• Love 5

The insinuation is that only someone who is a ten has the right to want to be physically attracted to their partner, if you're not a ten you have to take what you can get.

I think Ashley is ugly on the inside.

I think when someone's a 1 on the inside, they need to be a 10 on the outside to have any chance at attracting a mate.  Someone who's less than a 4 on the inside has little chance at keeping whatever mate they attract, regardless of their outside appearance.  When it comes to marriage, your inside score trumps your outside score everyday and twice on Sunday.  Looks fade...quickly. 

I think Ashley's really cute on the outside, but you couldn't pay me enough to eat Domino's in bed with her.   

I will need at least 24 hours to process any thoughts re: Sam. 

• Love 9

How long was Sam single? I'd love to hear from that person. Sam go marry your roommate already. Even if it's just a platonic arrangement, you were happy enough with her to share a mortgage, home, and relax in her room.

Wtf was with the roomie crying after the wedding and talking about how Sam was going through a lot? It just hit me how odd that was. She's probably loving the arrangement because she gets to be on telly.

• Love 3

The pairing of Neil Bowlus and Samantha Role was just about the most horrendous mismatch of any couple since this show began. Neil also came from parents who divorced when he was very young. His mother remarried a man that was able to give Neil a healthy upbringing and instilled traditional values in him. His grandparents had an arranged marriage that was a good marriage. Neil is more serious minded and very well educated. He has a master's degree in biology which is no small feat.  Neil is a marathon runner and has run successfully in several marathons. He also enjoy skydiving, snowboarding and hiking. Who knew?  I don't remember Sam even being vaguely interested in finding out what Neil's interests or passions are. Neil is the type of man that would be a solid, supportive partner to a woman. He's serious but at times came be just a little too serious and a woman like Samantha could possible be the yin to his yang if she knew how to bring that out and enjoy things together.

• Love 15

I really struggle with some of the comments made about Ashley's looks.  These are everyday people, not fantasies from a movie set. It's ironic that Ashley is so criticized as horrendously shallow for being focused solely on looks, but  then she is ripped apart for any  (commonly human) feature that is less than absolute perfection.  

I'm no fan of Ashley's personality, and worse--her attitude.  But as normal people go I think she is pretty. Not everyone has to agree, But isn't the point of the entire Ashley/David experiment--and the others as well--to make time to work past the superficial and perhaps find attraction in someone's personality?  

Well, and that's the thing. We can say that David is objectively decent looking, and she's being shallow or too picky. But attraction is so subjective. You could put Idris Elba on this show and I'm sure someone would say "ehhhhh". (Not me, but still.)

Now imagine it's someone you're not really feeling attracted to, and they keep trying to touch and kiss you. They start to look like Steve Buscemi real quick.

(Love Steve, no shade, just trying to think of an example :D)

The pairing of Neil Bowlus and Samantha Role was just about the most horrendous mismatch of any couple since this show began. Neil also came from parents who divorced when he was very young. His mother remarried a man that was able to give Neil a healthy upbringing and instilled traditional values in him. His grandparents had an arranged marriage that was a good marriage. Neil is more serious minded and very well educated. He has a master's degree in biology which is no small feat.  Neil is a marathon runner and has run successfully in several marathons. He also enjoy skydiving, snowboarding and hiking. Who knew?  I don't remember Sam even being vaguely interested in finding out what Neil's interests or passions are. Neil is the type of man that would be a solid, supportive partner to a woman. He's serious but at times came be just a little too serious and a woman like Samantha could possible be the yin to his yang if she knew how to bring that out and enjoy things together.

I don't like to say this, but he's too good for her.

• Love 4

I agree.  How can people say Ashley is ugly and then rip her a new one for being superficial?  WTF?

The Show - Either get some new experts and/or cast this show better.  Also enough of the reality show bullshit and make this more of a documentary.  Stop creating situations (everyone celebrate Father's Day, everyone have friends over the same week, etc.) and let these couples TRULY be real

This will never happen.  If it becomes a documentary, no one but a few graduate students would watch.  Reality TV is all about the drama.  No one wants to see two people politely talking to each other, for an hour a week for ten weeks, nope, that'll never happen.  There's a reason the Housewives shows keep multiplying. 

I don't think Ashley is ugly outside, but I think she's ugly inside.  She's immature, she doesn't get that hottness fades with age.  Look, everybody wants to be attracted to their partner; the problem is when that's all we want.  Ashley would probably drop her panties for a hot guy based only on his looks, without finding out if said guy is even worth it.  

• Love 6

Sam is a blatant liar and hypocrite. Sam claimed that Neil changed his mind after 1 day about living in her home. However, she is the one who changed her mind first. They agreed that they would leave the first house and stay at Sam's while looking for another home. On the day of their move, Sam announced to Neil that Sammy said they could stay there as love as they wanted, therefore they would not have to look for another house as they would just stay at hers for the rest of the time. She then says no closet space, no key, you do all of the work for all of us while Sammy and I hang out in her room When he then tells her that he wants to keep looking for another home, she turns it around on him as having changed his mind. Um, no. Then she calls him fake but when he turns it around on her she can't take it. Ugh. Just ugh.

If David looks elsewhere for attention, Ashley will totally turn it around and play the victim. Just calling it.

• Love 15

Shallow note here.

David's friends are fiiiine.  I like David, but once Ashley saw Marc standing next to him, it was all over.  It's funny, because people talk about how you can not have pretty bridesmaids, because of nasty female stereotypes about jealousy (can't be prettier then the bride)...maybe dudes should start buying ugly powder blue polyester tuxes for their groomsmen as well?

People probably think Ashley is a sweet person, because she's quite and unassuming.  However, she has been nasty to David.  The look she shot the poor guy when Dr. C said David would stop trying to touch Ashley was murder level stink eye.

Neil has got to stand up for himself.  When Sam threw him out of her house just because of one harmless little joke (when she has been belittling him constantly since they met) he should not have gone back like a dog with it's tail between it's legs and apologized.  He should have just said, contact me when you can communicate like a civilized adult and just kept going.  He is being a door mat and a woman like Sam will never respect that.

I did notice Sam put on a dress and brushed her hair for her room mate.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 11

The people who annoy me most on this show are the experts. They are such terrible matchmakers and i get that love is not a perfect science, each season the matches get worse and worse. They need to dig deeper into these people's personalities. And the reason they match these people are downright stupid. Because they were both abandoned as children? because one's an introvert and ones an extrovert? That is just a really stupid thing and the experts saying it out loud makes them sound like morons.

That being said, either david and neil have the patience of saints, or the producers make them pretend to want to keep going on with this experiment because how these guys don't speak up for themselves is just beyond me.  I really do feel for David because he really is putting in his best efforts and he gets nothing. The only problem I have with him is how delusional he sounds and the fact that he hasn't put her in her place yet. Who the hell wouldn't speak up for themselves after what a wet mop Ashley's been for 3 weeks? I understand not being attracted to someone and that looks are subjective, but the very least she can do is hold hands or give him hugs and a peck. Because sometimes if you try to keep convincing yourself that you are never gonna be attracted to someone, then you never will be. Give the guy a freakin kiss. See if anything is there. There's plenty of guys that weren't traditionally "hot" that  I have dated. Yea you have to be somewhat attracted but you also have to give it a chance. She is not giving anything a chance. When this is all over, she can probably find a really good looking guy. And when she does and he is as cold to her as she is to david, she will have regrets.

I feel so bad for neil. He is being a trooper but holy crap this woman is unstable. I would have bailed whethere it's allowed or not

• Love 7

Another comment about last nights episode - When Ashley called David while he was out of town, she said something like "thats what married couples should do", we should check up on each other.   what changed since the night of the dinner??

also, she was certified and worked as a social worker.  per her TH she said she didnt know how to discuss the hard conversation of no attraction, what did she do as the social worker??  that is alot of their job - hard conversations

per other sites, the wave is changing in Ashleys favor.  I hope none of the fans forget the first 3 weeks. 

i know this is reality tv, it is edited for drama and to keep us coming back for more.  i wish there would be happiness found for the participants.

• Love 6

Neil has got to stand up for himself.  When Sam threw him out of her house just because of one harmless little joke (when she has been belittling him constantly since they met) he should not have gone back like a dog with it's tail between it's legs and apologized.

Thank you!  Neil irritated the crap out of me this episode with his behavior.  I can't believe it but Sam even managed to make Ashley look good.

I guess I'm of the opinion that there has to be some spark of attraction when you meet someone if it's ever going to become romantic.  Even people that start out as just friends, for a variety of reasons, usually have some jokey sort of flirtation going on.  The fact that the experts are still telling Ashley that she needs to give it more time for her attraction to grow is complete and utter BS.  This girl isn't just not attracted to David.  She actively HATES him.  And that's the part that I simply don't get and I can only attribute to her thinking soooooo highly of herself that this poor guy shouldn't think he even has the right to be in her holy presence.

Perfect example here.  That kind of cruel behavior, showing complete disgust, far exceeds simply not being attracted to someone.  

I think Ashley appears physically ugly to many because she's such a loathsome human on the inside that it's manifested itself in how you see her outward appearance.  Think about it, if she was good natured, smiling, laughing and fun, it would completely change her appearance and she could be cute.  

I had fun this episode playing into the theory that Ashley is a robot.  If you take every word she says as that of a Roomba with a human form, it really makes perfect sense!  "I think about how a good wife should act.....bleep burp bleep"...... 

• Love 9

Regarding Neil standing up for himself and needing to run, I imagine there is a lot of production manipulation here given how quickly they both moved past a pretty nasty argument. I can see production telling Neil he can't go home because the film crew can't come back later so he needs to go in and apologize; and production telling Sam she will come off terribly if she kicks him out and refuses to make it work. Her TH head was about how he totally deserved to be kicked out and then shortly thereafter she's all agreeable to moving somewhere new. Given the shitfest of last year I imagine production does a lot more interfering to make sure it looks like these matches have a good chance of working out.

Edited by Booger666
  • Love 3

This may sound strange but this one of a few shows on this site where I find the articles and forum entertaining but I can't watch the show for more than 2 minutes at a time so I have an honest question -- is that a picture of David and Ashley at the top of this article? If so, why is there a discussion of Ashley being prettier than David is handsome? Because to me they look well matched physically. I can understand him simply not being her type so she's just not into him but does she normally look better than that? Or is the photo hiding some issues with David? I'm not saying that she's ugly but he isn't either ...

• Love 4

Ashley continues to be a nightmare:

A. Ashley is facetiming with David and if you look close, you can tell the algorithm the AI uses to mimic human blinking.

B. She thinks it's impor'ant that they continuously check in with each other. Except when you're running late, apparently.

C. When they show a shot of the screen, she's usually looking around the room, she's never actually looking at him. It makes me think that the shots of her talking to the screen are taped separately and spliced together.

D. She makes a point of how doing some laundry was "going out of her way" to do an act of kindness. Settle down sport, it's just laundry. You're not volunteering at a leper colony.

E. She actually thinks she's developed a friendship with David?

F. In her meeting with Dr. C, her vocal fry is reaching Logan levels.

G. She wonders how to talk about not being attracted to David without him cutting her off financially...er, I mean not hurting him. So caring, so loving.

H. Dr. C is DESPERATELY trying to get them to hold on through the 6 weeks. After the show gets picked up for another season, who cares.

I. Dr. C tells them to quit trying to intimacy and David agrees. Ashley gives him a look that (to me) said, "There is no way a man can look at me and not immediately think of sex. He can't keep his hands off me for 2 minutes. I'm just THAT hot." Deluded girl...

J. Anyone else think she's heavily medicated?

Sam, what a shrill, pointless person. The only time she had anything nice to say is when Neil planned a fun birthday dinner. That's what marriage is to her - she sits back making snarky comments while Neil dances like a monkey for her amusement. Let's see if she does anything nice for him.

Neil, that goofy bastard is a lost cause:

A. He apologizes for making a joke.

B. Gets kicked out of the house.

C. Comes back like a scared puppy and apologizes AGAIN! He should have left until she apologized and compromised on the housing situation.

D. Anyone notice the bad ADR at the dinner?

David, another lost cause. Says the dog is ruining his "game". Yet, the bed tackle showed the worst timing in game history. The guy is totally defensive.

Vanessa and Tres are getting boring. This is going to sound bad - Vanessa all but said that she's looking for a replacement daddy. If Tres turns out to be stable and dependable, which is what she says she wants, she'll get bored and find a reason to leave. Also, I don't think they've had sex since the first time.

Edited by Jack Sampson
  • Love 10

is that a picture of David and Ashley at the top of this article?

Yes, that is David and Ashley.  I'm not sure if Ashley has ever said she thought David was ugly/unattractive/etc.  Just that he isn't her type.  Personally I think it isn't that so much that she really doesn't want to be married, certainly not to a stranger.  She really is the sort of person who should just live alone.  And I'm not saying that as a slam against her--I figured out a long time ago that marriage was not for me.  Once I accepted that, life got a lot more enjoyable.  Maybe it would be for Ashley too if she just concentrated on school and work for awhile and forgot about dating (and certainly marriage).

• Love 6

That little "ugh" side-eye Ashley gave David when he tried to comfort her, when she was crying over her telling him she wasn't attracted to him is really the beginning and the end of the story, and I hope the psychologist caught it. She confessed something that would hurt his feelings, he sucked it up and tried to comfort HER about it, and she STILL treated him like shit on her shoe. She doesn't like or respect him, and she never will because she doesn't want to.

When the psychologist was telling them to put intimacy on hold and David said fine and Ashley side-eyed that, I was thinking "Why are you surprised? That's what he's doing now. You held your dog up to keep him from touching you; he's been without intimacy."

• Love 6

Sam:  "I want a man to put me in my place."

(Neil puts Sam in her place, she summarily kicks him out of the house)

Sam:  "I want a man who isn't Neil to put me in my place."

• Love 18

Samantha is SO OBNOXIOUS, SO STRANGE, SO SELF-CENTERED that I don't know how she got through into the show at all. Poor Neil got stuck with this TOTAL LOSER but absolutely NO ONE should EVER get stuck with this unusually bratty, self-centered, small-minded, unintelligent, disrespectful, big-mouth creepy woman.  

• Love 10

Sam:  "I want a man to put me in my place."

(Neil puts Sam in her place, she summarily kicks him out of the house)

Sam:  "I want a man who isn't Neil to put me in my place."

Or "I want a man to put me in my place on terms that I agree to in advance and/or that he psychically interprets at the moment."

• Love 5

This season, is turning into the "Men's Redemption" season, for me.

Last season, all of the men were so god awful, that it was so easy to feel bad for the women, having to be stuck with them for 6 weeks.

This season, two of the three women, are as unlikable as the guys from season two, that the guys this season, are the ones I'm feeling bad for, since they are stuck with those women for 6 weeks.

• Love 3

I think Ashley appears physically ugly to many because she's such a loathsome human on the inside that it's manifested itself in how you see her outward appearance.  Think about it, if she was good natured, smiling, laughing and fun, it would completely change her appearance and she could be cute.  

I never thought Ashley was 'physically ugly', and as a matter of fact she can look pretty gorgeous when she smiles genuinely, which is rare. She has a great figure and amazing teeth. The problem with Ashley is that she knows it and she doesn't feel that David is her equal. It's this particular quality of Ashleys', that she's just too attractive for David, that bugs me about Ashley. No, she's not perfect, but who is. But she doesn't seem to realize that yet. She gives a side-eye to David and she's easy to read that she doesn't find him on a par in attractiveness as some of her ex's.

• Love 1

I didn't get to watch the entire episode last night, but I did see the last 20 minutes or so. (Anybody knows if there will be a rerun before next week or if the show is up somewhere online where I could watch it?)

I saw the part where Ashley was crying about feeling awkward telling David that she wasn't attracted to him, and when he tried to comfort her, she almost snarled at him to leave her alone. Oh, no, cooties! It seemed like David was taken aback, and Cilona noticed it, too, but who knows if that was really the case, considering all the editing they do.

As for Ashley's looks, I don't think she's ugly. In some shots, she looks quite pretty. In other shots, not so much. But what we're seeing on the show is that she puts way too much emphasis on looks, and I think that's why people have been examining her own appearance so critically. I totally agree that everybody has the right to have standards and you can't help it if you're attracted to someone or not, but if that's your only criteria for a good match, then you're in trouble, and you'd better have a fantastic personality to go with your own looks if you want a hot guy and you're not Miss Universe yourself.

As for Neil, I'm quite unhappy to hear that he went back and apologized to Sam. I wish he found a backbone somewhere.

• Love 5

Sam is not quirky.  She is disturbed.  She is abusive, angry, rude, selfish & immature.  I cringe when she's on screen.  Plus she's always making weird facial expressions & moving about like she can't sit still for 2 minutes.  How did the experts not see that she is mentally unstable?

And yes, I agree her bond with roommate Sammie seems beyond platonic.  Sammie cried at the wedding?- wow, I had not caught that. And Sam referring to Sammie's room as her sanctuary? And all those "scent melts" Sam needs to help her manage anxiety? ...Just. Weird.  But what I hate most is how she constantly turns things around on Neil to make everything his fault.  I really despise her.

• Love 15

I didn't get to watch the entire episode last night, but I did see the last 20 minutes or so. (Anybody knows if there will be a rerun before next week or if the show is up somewhere online where I could watch it?)

It replays on FYI before the new episode.

The reason *I* commented on Ashley's looks (read: moustache) is because *she* is concerned with David looks. She is basing her dislike of him on physical appearance. That opens her up to a critique of her own looks. Live by the sword, die by the sword. 

• Love 9
As for Ashley's looks, I don't think she's ugly. In some shots, she looks quite pretty. In other shots, not so much. But what we're seeing on the show is that she puts way too much emphasis on looks, and I think that's why people have been examining her own appearance so critically. I totally agree that everybody has the right to have standards and you can't help it if you're attracted to someone or not, but if that's your only criteria for a good match, then you're in trouble, and you'd better have a fantastic personality to go with your own looks if you want a hot guy and you're not Miss Universe yourself.

Does Ashley actually want a hot guy, or is she just upset because SHE'S not attracted to David.  I do know some people who have serious reactions to those they are not attracted to and there is nothing a person can do about it.  The point is I do not know what Ashley considers attractive, maybe she would look at Neil and think, "he's hot."

Maybe they paired Ashley and Sam with the wrong guys.

• Love 3

per other sites, the wave is changing in Ashleys favor.

Really?  Based on what I've been reading, Ashley is more hated than Sam, and I will gladly send you the links to these sites.  With regards to her looks, she is at best a "7" for Atlanta, would be considered a "5" in New York and a "4" in Los Angeles. 

• Love 4

I am exhausted over these people.  Everyone except Tres.  He's hopeful, sweet, lovable, and just plain nice.  I don't get any playboy vibes from him.  But the rest of them.....yech.

- Ashley - she could have handled this so much better.  But rather than be honest with David from the get-go, she decided to remain totally aloof and indifferent in the hopes he would get the hint and back off.   Ashley probably has always held out for the best looking guy in the room, and even though David is no troll, he won't ever be that, and to her it's all or nothing.  So even though his personality is a 10, she refuses to even give him a chance.  I now have more respect for Jaime because at least she tried when faced with a man she was physically repulsed by. 

-David - He should not have agreed so quickly to Dr. Cilona's suggestion of no touchy feely until Ashley is ready.  He instead should have turned to Ashley and said 'I want an honest answer - is there ever going to be a time you are ready or is this just another excuse to keep me at arm's length?'  I know it hurts to be rejected, but she's given him a LOT of hints.  This shouldn't have come as any surprise.

-Sam - She's in the same boat as Ashley in that there's no way she will ever be attracted to Neil.  But unlike Ashley, Sam has no social graces, so instead of the robot treatment, she blows up because she's frustrated and doesn't know how to express it.  Neil's passiveness really bugs her.  It would for a lot of women.  Nothing bothers the guy.  He's like those bouncy toys that keep rising up after you clobber it.   I would imagine that was what Sam meant when she said she wanted someone to put her in her place.  Not a caveman, but someone who speaks up for himself and will say NO once in awhile.  On another note about Sam, I don't think she's a lesbian but she is freaky.  I bet she's run off a lot of guys before the first date is over.  Does anyone remember their wedding?  I could swear I saw looks of relief on her family's faces when they were pronounced official.  They probably thought no one would ever be stupid enough to marry her.........and then Neil came along, LOL.

-Neil - Dear, pet rock Neil.  Stick him in a corner and he'd probably stay there until you told him to come out.  Forgive me to those who think he's precious, but IMO he is pathetic.  Even more so than David, who at least has a spine.  He was totally taken aback when Logan asked him what HE wanted and was looking for in a mate.  He said in wonderment 'I never thought about it'.  Of course not because he never has any opinions about anything.  He never considers his feelings as important enough.  I would venture to guess he didn't have a lot of "deal breakers" as far as the perfect mate.  His threshold for happiness is so low he truly thinks they are making progress.  Wow.

-Vanessa - She should have married a plumber because she sure runs hot and cold fast.  I feel sorry for Tres.  Every word or action on his part is scrutinized.  She's going to ruin it, plain and simple.  She said she'd tried everything to find the right one, and was willing to go this route.  So how about backing off for a bit and allowing Tres in a little.  Geez.  I need these two to work out.  They're our only hope.  Any suggestion at the end of 6 weeks that anyone else in this group is going to make a go of their union is clearly fictitious, and any similarity to Ashley and any person living or dead is merely coincidental.

• Love 8

This may sound strange but this one of a few shows on this site where I find the articles and forum entertaining but I can't watch the show for more than 2 minutes at a time so I have an honest question -- is that a picture of David and Ashley at the top of this article? If so, why is there a discussion of Ashley being prettier than David is handsome? Because to me they look well matched physically. I can understand him simply not being her type so she's just not into him but does she normally look better than that? Or is the photo hiding some issues with David? I'm not saying that she's ugly but he isn't either ...

I think you've struck a genuine chord of truth here regarding David and Ashley and all the shade that's being thrown at Ashley for not being a full participant. If anyone in the world who didn't know about this show saw this photo of the two of them smiling and happy, they'd most likely think 'what a beautiful couple'. They actually look very well matched physically. I don't think anyone has really seen what Ashley would look like if she was upbeat, smiling and laughing together with David. All we see is her grumpy mood after her tests, her POV talking about how she's uncomfortable with him and doesn't find him attractive at all. It's her shutting down totally and not even trying to make an effort that's bugging everyone. If they had met in a bar and went out on a date, I think his personality would be the same as it is, but I think hers would be a lot different. I think she would be more amicable and open, but in this 'experiment' she chose to shut him down solidly.

david-norton-ashley-doherty.jpg?w=650

Edited by HumblePi
  • Love 1

I think you've struck a genuine chord of truth here regarding David and Ashley and all the shade that's being thrown at Ashley for not being a full participant. If anyone in the world who didn't know about this show saw this photo of the two of them smiling and happy, they'd most likely think 'what a beautiful couple'. They actually look very well matched physically. I don't think anyone has really seen what Ashley would look like if she was upbeat, smiling and laughing together with David. All we see is her grumpy mood after her tests, her POV talking about how she's uncomfortable with him and doesn't find him attractive at all. It's her shutting down totally and not even trying to make an effort that's bugging everyone. If they had met in a bar and went out on a date, I think his personality would be the same as it is, but I think hers would be a lot different. I think she would be more amicable and open, but in this 'experiment' she chose to shut him down solidly.

david-norton-ashley-doherty.jpg?w=650

I agree with all that you said, but I also get a sense of, that she is hyper-aware, of her onscreen behavior. Remember her bachelorette party, when the stripper/servers/whatever showed up? She was all "I'm more classy than this. Blahblahblah", then got up and left the room. Her friends were all reacting like "who is this person, and why is she here", they seemed to be shocked at her reaction.

That said, she does have a ginormous stick up her ass, so they might not have been her real friends, so who knows really.

• Love 5