Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: Breaking Down Barriers

• Start Topic

For the past 3 days this website has been arduous to read because the ads seem to be hanging my computer up to the point refreshing does not work.  I close it down, reopen it and it happens again.  It is very, very slow.  The cause according to my computer is the "Long Script Running for the Outbrain Ads and the Ad placed in the middle of the page.  I have only had this issue once before with the site and then all was well again until 3 days ago.  No other website is giving me this problem...or any other problem.

Just wondered if anyone else is experiencing this and if so, can it be repaired?  When I stop the Long Script from running it helps until I refresh a page. 

I think it's the penalty more than the stipend. Breach of contract can have ridiculous penalties of like $1 million. That's usually for stuff like giving way the ending to the show. I'm not sure how they handle minor stuff like being a dead fish during the show.

I don't think anyone's gonna receive a penalty just for being a poor sport, but quitting altogether is out of the question, I'm sure. So they're not necessarily hanging in there for payday, but to avoid having to pay themselves. Clearly the show covers the costs during the experiment, but I don't think they get much on top of that. There are plenty of people willing to go on shows like this for free. The contestants of the Bachelor receive nothing whatsoever, only the lead is paid. 15 minutes of fame and some travel is all it takes to get people to sign up. On MAFS you might also get a suitable partner for life, if you're lucky.

I've had the same problem with the pages.  Scrolling,, replying, refreshing all stunted.  Sometimes it refreshes on its own while replying and I lose my entire reply.  (i don't know how to stop "long script from running" )   They have removed ads in the past that are troublemakers.

The discussion about David texting another woman is from the previews that were shown at the end of the wedding episode.  We don't know why they chose to show previews that far in advance.  However, the episode synopsis for next week mentions it

Thanks very much for the explanation.  I did not see the previews and thought I might be in a spoiler thread!

I heard them say for one of the couples (can't remember which couple)  that the wedding party pooled funds together to pay for the honeymoon.  I didn't actually believe that at the time I heard it, and I still don't.

It's possible that some meals and certain incidentals are not paid for on the honeymoon, so maybe the wedding party pools for extra $ to use on the honeymoon.  I have no doubt the honeymoons are paid for, and likely the hotel stays are comped to Production anyway because they are promoted on the show.  

My guess is that the couples have no say in what they get.  I don't recall Sean and Davina being big at winter sports.  If they were great skiers I would think they had some say in it. .  No I think the hotels offer packages and .and production just sends them  there. . 

• Love 1

It's possible that some meals and certain incidentals are not paid for on the honeymoon, so maybe the wedding party pools for extra $ to use on the honeymoon.  I have no doubt the honeymoons are paid for, and likely the hotel stays are comped to Production anyway because they are promoted on the show.  

My guess is that the couples have no say in what they get.  I don't recall Sean and Davina being big at winter sports.  If they were great skiers I would think they had some say in it. .  No I think the hotels offer packages and .and production just sends them  there.

That's a great point. I think it's very likely that the hotels and production make a deal. Free or discounted packages in return for exposure.

• Love 1

So if the guests pay for the honeymoon, they must really hate David and Ashley.

I believe this had to do with Ashley's comfort level.  Based on her reaction to the stripper at her bridal shower, I doubt she was willing to go to a location that would require her to wear a bathing suit in front of David and the crew.   Plus, it would seem like an actual honeymoon.  Production would most likely expect her to go frolicking in the ocean with "Quasimodo", and that could lead to  - gasp - physical contact.  So, it was off to Arizona with text books and i-pad in tow. 

I believe the couples are responsible for paying their own rent, because last season, Ryan D. and Jessica toured several apartments in Brooklyn, before they found one they could afford. 

I think Sean and Davina got the worst deal, because it was winter and it would have been nice to go some place warm.  I love the southwest, so I don't think they got a bad deal, but too bad they didn't take them to the Grand Canyon or Sedona, or some of the other cool places there,even for a day trip.   Frankly I don't know how they filled their time at any of these locations.  They didn't show much.

I still don't think comfort level was considered.  Jessica was afraid of ocean waters and Sam is afraid of sharks but were sent to island locations where watersports were the excursions planned.  Ashley was afraid of the waterslide. but she did wear a bikini and eventually went.  Livin' la vida loca Ashley!

I believe this had to do with Ashley's comfort level.  Based on her reaction to the stripper at her bridal shower, I doubt she was willing to go to a location that would require her to wear a bathing suit in front of David and the crew.   Plus, it would seem like an actual honeymoon.  Production would most likely expect her to go frolicking in the ocean with "Quasimodo", and that could lead to  - gasp - physical contact.  So, it was off to Arizona with text books and i-pad in tow. 

I believe the couples are responsible for paying their own rent, because last season, Ryan D. and Jessica toured several apartments in Brooklyn, before they found one they could afford. 

I'm sure that production must have set up several rental options for the couples to choose from.  These are going to be short term rentals and most landlords don't just automatically rent for just a month or five weeks.  There is likely a damage deposit that must be given.which is provided by production.   They probably find several options of varying prices.   My guess is that they are afforded a certain amount and anything above that the couples must cover.  They cannot be expected to pay for two places. 

What gave me a hint was Sam turning down a $1250 rent and saying they should stay within their 'budget".and then going for a place that was  $950.  They currently pay $1500 jointly, so you would think that's their "budget". (or what would even be the point of the 'current rent' discussion.)  No doubt when the show is over they make other arrangements on their own.  All have obligations to fulfill--even it it's to live out a current lease.  Neil and Sam both own. If they stayed together it would take time to rent out their places.  

I'm sure that production must have set up several rental options for the couples to choose from.  These are going to be short term rentals and most landlords don't just automatically rent for just a month or five weeks.  There is likely a damage deposit that must be given.which is provided by production.   They probably find several options of varying prices.   My guess is that they are afforded a certain amount and anything above that the couples must cover.  They cannot be expected to pay for two places.

Yes, I always thought "what we could afford" referred to anything over and above the amount the show gave them up front for rent.  And it seemed obvious to me that the couples did not actually find the rentals they looked at but were given a choice between options in the ballpark of their budget and went to see all of them before making a decision.

• Love 2

i think the production company must offer some sort of payment on the rentals during the filming.  Going back to season 1, Jason and Courtney and Doug and Jamie stayed in their new apartments for at least the first 6 months. 

I really enjoy getting the opinions of the others on this sight

i think the production company must offer some sort of payment on the rentals during the filming.  Going back to season 1, Jason and Courtney and Doug and Jamie stayed in their new apartments for at least the first 6 months. 

I really enjoy getting the opinions of the others on this sight

Maybe because they stayed together production helped.  Also a second season for them helped grease the wheel $$ too.  However, Doug was living at home so he wasn't paying for two places.  If Jason had no lease with his mother's apt he could split with little or no notice--as per NYC rental rues.  Jamie, too as I think her apt was in NYC..  (although I thought her place was nicer).

Looks as though Jamie and Doug had already decided to get something in Sayerville ASAP anyway. 

Not sure what is the case with paying for things but I know a few have said in the past that maybe they pay the rent/mortgage on the place they were in before the show and the couples have to pay for the rent on the place they get together. Which if that is the case, such as with Sam wanting to live in her own home, I would think they would stop payment. I can imagine if it was paying out that way it would make some sense since most these people would never be able to afford to rents. I will bet they pay for the honeymoon. With that one it would be interesting to see why the AZ one though. Why not not fit the bill so these couples do more to spend the time together doing fun things as well to get to know each other and what they like to do outside the house. I also think the fish bowl should include more questions in them that are get to know each other's likes and dislikes. It doesn't need to be a sex bowl but mix things up. I think no matter what though with Ashley she wouldn't have answered if it had asked her favorite color though or flower. Yet considering how long they have known each other when they get these it should really include so much more to it. Otherwise it is pointless.  

I agree - I think, with this show, it would be helpful to have some more structure in place. Maybe a weekly challenge for the couples to do together, or something along those lines? There are certain activities that help with "falling in love" (e.g. activities that create an adrenaline rush can also often cause people to feel closer together afterwards) that I think the production could encourage or set up. Essentially, I think if the production used more 'team building' activities, it would be helpful in getting the couples to learn how to successfully work together, and also start making them think of themselves as a team/unit.

• Love 4

I agree - I think, with this show, it would be helpful to have some more structure in place. Maybe a weekly challenge for the couples to do together, or something along those lines? There are certain activities that help with "falling in love" (e.g. activities that create an adrenaline rush can also often cause people to feel closer together afterwards) that I think the production could encourage or set up. Essentially, I think if the production used more 'team building' activities, it would be helpful in getting the couples to learn how to successfully work together, and also start making them think of themselves as a team/unit.

Merge MAFS with Naked and Afraid.

If David did go after or flirt with another woman during the 6 weeks, maybe he did so to make sure the TV audience (which would perhaps include any future wife!) saw that he did indeed have "game"!

He could have just realized that nothing was going to happen and moved on. It's been a month, the message had to get through his thick head eventually.

I can't wait to see if Ashley has the nerve to act offended.

• Love 3

Too funny re Naked and Afraid/MAFS. That would also give them activities as some are suggesting, including trying to stay alive.

I would love it if the mysterious woman David is chatting up is a sister or something like that. I don't think that would make him talk to his father's grave but I don't trust the editing of the show at all.

Looking forward to tomorrow night's craziness.

• Love 4

I just do not understand all the sympathy I see here for 'poor' Ashley having to put up with physical (not even sexual!) advances from the man she married.

It proves that she did not participate in this so-called 'social experiment' in good faith.

It also shows that MAFS needs to fire all of these so-called 'experts' and replace them with competent people. How could they ever have chosen that woman as a mate for anyone??

• Love 11

I'm wondering if that clip of Ashley not being able to say three nice things about David has been edited to look that way. Because if she can't say three nice things about him after being married to him for a month - how could you defend that? She could have said anything, great sense of humor, it's nice that he still honors his father every year, appreciate the way he's paying the bills. It didn't have to be personal. If she truly can't say anything nice about him then I can't blame him for texting/calling/bedding other women. Why waste his time with her when it's obviously not going anywhere?

• Love 7

It also shows that MAFS needs to fire all of these so-called 'experts' and replace them with competent people. How could they ever have chosen that woman [Ashley] as a mate for anyone??

Based on what I've been reading, that seems to be the general consensus.

• Love 1

If David did go after or flirt with another woman during the 6 weeks, maybe he did so to make sure the TV audience (which would perhaps include any future wife!) saw that he did indeed have "game"!

True!  Or maybe, after being continually rejected by Ashley, knowing she is not physically attracted to him, his self-esteem needed a boost.

I've had the same problem with the pages.  Scrolling,, replying, refreshing all stunted.  Sometimes it refreshes on its own while replying and I lose my entire reply.  (i don't know how to stop "long script from running" )   They have removed ads in the past that are troublemakers.

Thanks Sea.  The Long Script Running message appears on its own at the bottom of the page when things are running slowly. 

Today this website is operating perfectly.

• Love 1

But people are attracted to whomever, no rhyme or reason about it. I don't think Ashley is ugly on the outside, she's ugly on the inside. I know how it feels not to be physically attracted to someone, you just can't fake it. But Ashley is going beyond that, she can't even be nice to David.

Physical attraction is fleeting. Love is a choice

• Love 1