Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E13: Spretz, ezpz, Hungry Harvest, Controlled Chaos

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

Three friends try to sell the sharks on a breath freshener that has dual uses; a woman seeks a huge valuation for a functional kid's placemat; and a 23-year-old man wants to fight hunger and help the environment with his “ugly” produce subscription service. Plus, a follow up on LuminAid, inflatable, solar-powered lights in which Mark Cuban invested during Season 6.

The placemat lady's eyes were spinning like pinwheels. She was scaring me through the TV.

She was really odd.  She reminded me of actresses who play crazy people in bad movies. Also, I guess that was a dress she was wearing, but it kind of looked like she just forgot to put on pants.

I can't believe the curly hair gel people got a deal.  

• Love 12

The EZ-PZ lady looked a lot like Cobie Smulders--if Cobie Smulders had swallowed a habanero pepper in one giant gulp.  I was afraid she wasn't going to make it through her entire presentation before literally exploding right in front of the sharks.  She started out as a Mom/entrepreneur and ended up as a bug-eyed, twitchy basket case.  I also couldn't understand why she turned down 2 reasonable offers for her company.  Like Barbara said, her enthusiasm was blinding her to reality.

Personally, I had a problem with her product anyway.  It's definitely something I would have loved as a kid (I always hated when the different foods on my plate would mush together).  But as my parents always told me when I'd beg for a tray like the ones we had in the lunchroom cafeteria at school, "You need to learn to eat on a normal plate like normal people do."  At the time, I hated that response, but it makes a lot of sense now.  If kids don't learn to eat "correctly" (i.e.-in a socially acceptable way) at age 3-4, they'll have to learn at 6, or 7, or 10, when it'll be even harder to teach them.  I have a similar reaction to those "pull-up" diapers for 4 year olds.

• Love 10

Placemat lady was crazy, but that didn't stop me from hitting order on Amazon before her segment was up. If the mat sticks as well as she says it does, it'll be a godsend for my toddler (and me, whose tired of flipped bowl messes).

The mouth/hand spray was weird. I can't imagine too many people are in a place where they can't just wash their hands like Lori said.

• Love 2

The mouth/hand spray was weird. I can't imagine too many people are in a place where they can't just wash their hands like Lori said.

Another in a long line of Shark Tank solutions in search of a problem.

• Love 5

Two Sharks offer exactly what the plate lady requested. They each had sales contingencies that she Swore she would meet, hence her ridiculous valuation. She walk away. Fuck her, I hope her patents fall apart & someone swoops in w/ a cheaper version.

• Love 13

She was really odd.  She reminded me of actresses who play crazy people in bad movies. Also, I guess that was a dress she was wearing, but it kind of looked like she just forgot to put on pants.

OMG! I thought the exact same thing about her outfit! Where was the rest of it? If you want to wear a short dress, go ahead, but wear one that looks complete not like you forgot the rest of it. That lady was cray-cray. Her eyes were scary.

• Love 2

Please tell me someone saw Robert mimicking her crazy eyes!!  It was right before the last commercial.  I rewound it three times for a good laugh.  I don't know if her crazy eyes were contagious or he just felt like opening his eyes super wide, but it was too funny.  He really disliked her--I've never seen him so worked up over anyone.  

Her outfit was really unprofessional.  You'd think she'd have a friend to help her find something cute to wear which wouldn't have the potential to expose everything with one simple bend over.  

Her kids were cute though! 

• Love 1

That lady wearing the pillowcase was crazy AF. And she's spawning... Lord help us. 

Her constant response of "yup, yup, yup" was getting on my last nerve. Not only do you look like a psycho, you sound like an idiot. 

• Love 2

Review:

Spretz:  Stupid product.  It's too big of a stretch to ask people to put the same item in their mouth and on their hands.  We're programmed against doing this. Good call by all the sharks to pass.

Hungry Harvest:  Great idea. The owner didn't say what markets he is in. Is it only Baltimore?  Will be interesting to see how it scales to other markets.  Also, he didn't say if it was organic produce.  Most people who subscribe to CSA-type food delivery want organic-only produce.  Looking at the company's website, it appears that getting an organic delivery costs extra and may include a smaller quantity.  This was probably added after the Shark Tank deal.

Curly Hair treatment:  Is there any evidence that this even works?  But the valuation was super low, and Lori's investment is so small that they can recoup this in a few hours on QVC simply by leveraging off the Shark Tank exposure.

Luminaid update:  This is one of the best companies and products ever to appear on  Shark Tank.  Looks like it's doing well. Good for them.

Toddler plate:  Looks like a useful product. You really can't get 2 year olds to eat neatly off a real plate.  The patent will be an issue because I'm pretty  sure plates that suction to counters have been around for a while. And, of course, the owner is bat shit crazy.  What an idiot to turn down the offers.  (For added humor, check the Amazon reviews.  Lindsey can't resist commenting on every negative review in the same frantic tone she showed on Shark Tank).

Edited by RemoteControlFreak
  • Love 6

Placemat lady was crazy, but that didn't stop me from hitting order on Amazon before her segment was up. If the mat sticks as well as she says it does, it'll be a godsend for my toddler (and me, whose tired of flipped bowl messes).

Toddler plate:  Looks like a useful product. You really can't get 2 year olds to eat neatly off a real plate.  The patent will be an issue because I'm pretty  sure plates that suction to counters have been around for a while. And, of course, the owner is bat shit crazy.  What an idiot to turn down the offers.  (For added humor, check the Amazon reviews.  Lindsey can't resist commenting on every negative review in the same frantic tone she showed on Shark Tank).

I thought it was a neat idea, but some of the reviews were that the toddlers were able to peel the plate off the table. 

SAYLII, please share your review with us once you've used it!

LOL as soon as she walked on(placemat lady) I thought "omg, shes going on national TV and wearing a dress that short??" I also didnt care for the term "great feeding experience". yes, its convenient for clean up purposes, but we all have to grow up and learn how to eat--not everything has to be a montessori like experience. LOL.

• Love 5

She also talked about the feeding industry, whatever that is. I envisioned this item being used by demented people in nursing homes and insane asylums. Maybe she hoped to sell to institutional buyers.

I also thought I saw a large single-bowl version at one point in a group display. Maybe she intended it for dogs. That might make a good product.

• Love 1

Aside from the crazy eyes, the swaying thing ezpz lady was doing was making ME crazy! I know most moms (myself included) do the bounce-bounce sway moves while holding their small kids. But when you are in a business meeting trying to convince a roomful of investors to give you millions, you should probably practice standing still for 30 seconds in a row. I have seen suction placemats and food service items before, so I have doubts about securing pattents too. In fact, I think I saw similar suction type items intended more for nursing homes, Alzheimer units, cafeterias serving people with CP or muscle control issues. There were additional items to help prevent spills & shaped bowls to make scooping food out easier for the patients or caregivers.

Controlled Chaos lady was her own worst enemy. I think her partner/associate was giving her major side-eye and doing her damnedest to Jedi mind trick her into shutting the eff up.

I'm glad the Hungry Harvest guy got a deal and glad it's with Robert. I don't know why the guy hesitated though.

I think the spritz spray guys are great presenters, but that product is not for a large market. They should go smaller with that spray and go after smokers. They need the combo of breath and hand deodorizer more than any other population. Sell it in smoke shops and use their creativity energy to come up with something else.

• Love 8

I also thought I saw a large single-bowl version at one point in a group display. Maybe she intended it for dogs. That might make a good product.

It's for sale on Amazon.  But there are also silicon mats available for half that price.   I bought one of the latter mats and use it for my cat's food and water bowl.  It contains spills (especially water; otherwise water would routinely be splattered all over my kitchen) and prevents bowls being dragged around the floor.

• Love 1

I really thought crazy eyes and head down sideways lady didn't want a deal in the first place. She probably just wanted to get on tv for free promotion. Unless I'm giving her too much credit and she's not that smart. She kept leaning her head all the way over and talking it was driving me crazy! And wtf with the crazy looks on her face? I thought it was a cool idea but she's so irritating, I'd never buy one now. Don't want to support stupidity. The poster up thread who said it may be good for people with dementia and stuff had a great idea though :)

• Love 1

The spray item was so odd to me. It would have made a bit more sense if the product sprayed onto your clothing to rid it of smoke smell instead of on your hands. Sorta like febreze for your mouth & clothing.

2 Cray Cray presenters in one episode! I was exhausted watching them. Imagine chaos woman and ez pz woman together.

• Love 2

The spray item was so odd to me. It would have made a bit more sense if the product sprayed onto your clothing to rid it of smoke smell instead of on your hands. Sorta like febreze for your mouth & clothing.

2 Cray Cray presenters in one episode! I was exhausted watching them. Imagine chaos woman and ez pz woman together.

I agree on the smoke. In fact, they mentioned it at the beginning as part of their inspiration, so I was mystified when they switched to a hand deodorizer. Who is looking for a hand deodorizer? People want hand sanitizers.

• Love 2

I almost always have a bottle of water with me, and keep bottles in my car.  Dripping some out onto the palms for a quick washup is something I see people do all the time. 

And can you imagine if you sprayed that mint on your hands, then inadvertently rubbed your eyes?  Sounds painful.  

• Love 4

I was surprised that any Shark wanted to work with either chaos curl presenter or the ezpz woman. I think that both of them would be extremely hard to work with as the delusion is HUGE with both of them. Chaos curl presenter was a self-proclaimed great business person...ummm, no. Lori is probably the best partner for her as Lori will just take it over and never deal with her again. As for the ezpz woman, I was shocked that she was given two offers and turned them down. Lori said a couple of times that she didn't think the patents would come through-the rest of the Sharks should have listened to her as Lori is savvy about patents (and buying other peoples' patents) so if Lori thought there might be issues there probably would be. Crazy woman's valuation was, well, crazy. Her rejection of valid offers was certifiable. Mark is really good at recognizing the crazy and he not only exited both of those deals quickly, I think he was trying to steer the other Sharks away.

• Love 2

And can you imagine if you sprayed that mint on your hands, then inadvertently rubbed your eyes?  Sounds painful.

Done it before. Most products you just tear up and the stuff is gone no issue. Others you gotta rinse your eyes out with water then call poison control.

I really thought crazy eyes and head down sideways lady didn't want a deal in the first place. She probably just wanted to get on tv for free promotion. Unless I'm giving her too much credit and she's not that smart. She kept leaning her head all the way over and talking it was driving me crazy!

I didn't think she was that smart.  I mean, she may have been there for exposure, but I honestly do think it's more likely she honestly thought she was worth that much money and the sharks would fall over themselves to make a deal with her.

• Love 1

I don't have curly hair--it's maybe wavy on a good day--but I know enough from shopping at Ulta and my sister's contention with her curly hair that the market is already saturated with curly hair products. I think it's just a matter of finding one that you like, just as with any other product.

I don't think having a serving vessel that doesn't move keeps kids from tossing food. Whoever said those kids were coerced to act better in that second video was right.

How is "Spretz" (ugh, that name) different from the Binaca of my youth? Couldn't one conceivably spray that on one's hands? I just wash mine, but in a pinch, like if I'm on a deserted island and the smell on my hands and breath of the fish I just caught and ate is really offending the wild boar?

Shark Tank Drinking Game: Drink every time Kevin mentions Wicked Good Cupcakes or Barbara mentions Godsocks. Every single episode.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 2

This was a wacky episode and the final two presentations really was a lot to take in the same episode.

Spretz: As mentioned, I am not sure why anyone would really need it.  I can't imagine that my hands are so in need of cleaning that I can't get to a sink.  Or, that I would rather put a masking agent over it.  Basically, I don't use mouth spray and definitely not interested in hand spray so I was not surprised at the lack of offers.

Hungry Harvest: I had heard of this business in anticipation of his appearance.  I am happy he got a deal but thought it was interested that he wanted to hear more deals after Robert gave him an offer.  I almost thought Robert was going to lose another one.

Controlled Chaos: As this pitch continued, I began to wonder if the company name was referencing the presenter instead of those with curly hair.  As others have mentioned, this market is very saturated so I expect Lori to hock a few of these on QVC and keep it moving.  Not sure an update will be needed.

LumniAID Update: I remember this pitch and was happy to see the update.  I don't totally remember the business model but it is not to see that the product is working in relief situations.

EZPZ: Crazy eyes and tilted head, yet I didn't notice the too short for her dress.  She was all over the place yet was able to receive two offers.  I still can't believe the offers the Sharks were making on this episode.  Once she turned it down in the most nonsensical way she could find, I remembered that she had to be there for the publicity and not really interested in a partner.  

Overall, this was a wild episode.  I guess the last two pitches were saved by the fact that they actually received offers from the Sharks.

• Love 1

The Hungry Harvest guy is probably one of my favorite pitches we've seen.  I know there seem to be a lot of businesses (usually with Millennials at the helm) that have some kind of charity aspect on the back end, but this, like the Taaluma tote bags was the one of the few were it seemed like it wasn't just tacked on in some bid to make it seem like they weren't there to alleviate guilt.  I wish he'd gotten to hear the other offers, but I'm glad he got a good deal.

• Love 4

The way the Hungry Harvest segment went kind of irritated me on the entrepeneur's behalf. First, the Sharks gave him a hard time for doing basically too much charitable giving rather than prioritizing profit. And yet, when Robert made an offer, the Sharks got irritated that the owner wanted to hear out the other potential offers, which is exactly what a business-owner should want to do. He's running a business with a charity-component, not a charity or a non-profit. Let him try to do the best thing for his business rather than get offended that he didn't jump on Robert's seeming interest in the do-gooder component . Just because he wants to help the community doesn't mean he doesn't want to do what's best for his business.

• Love 5

I got the impression that Robert wanted the deal to continue the charitable aspect. Mr. Wonderful might have offered a better deal, but seemed like he wanted to use the produce in Plated, make money from it by scaling, and move away from the truly charitable aspect.

In that case, I could see why Robert would want to be a dick to have things go his way. That's another one of those segments where I wish we saw the whole thing because I got the feeling the final version was presented differently then the real version.

• Love 3

Two Sharks offer exactly what the plate lady requested. They each had sales contingencies that she Swore she would meet, hence her ridiculous valuation. She walk away. Fuck her, I hope her patents fall apart & someone swoops in w/ a cheaper version.

I didn't think she was that smart.  I mean, she may have been there for exposure, but I honestly do think it's more likely she honestly thought she was worth that much money and the sharks would fall over themselves to make a deal with her.

Yup she was SF arrogant (not "optimistic" as they nicely put it) that she'd turn me off from purchasing anything from her.

• Love 1

The way the Hungry Harvest segment went kind of irritated me on the entrepeneur's behalf. First, the Sharks gave him a hard time for doing basically too much charitable giving rather than prioritizing profit. And yet, when Robert made an offer, the Sharks got irritated that the owner wanted to hear out the other potential offers, which is exactly what a business-owner should want to do. He's running a business with a charity-component, not a charity or a non-profit. Let him try to do the best thing for his business rather than get offended that he didn't jump on Robert's seeming interest in the do-gooder component . Just because he wants to help the community doesn't mean he doesn't want to do what's best for his business.

This is true about business in general.  But, Robert offered him double what he asked for because he believed in the charity component. That's rare generosity in the Tank. When someone makes an offer like that that, you take it immediately with profuse gratitude.  You don't shop around to see if someone else will beat it.  Mark's exasperation said it all.

Edited by RemoteControlFreak
  • Love 4

This is true about business in general. But, Robert offered him double what he asked for because he believed in the charity component. That's rare generosity in the Tank. When someone makes an offer like that that, you take it immediately with profuse gratitude.

It was double the money but for double the equity for Robert. If the business could receive the same money for less equity, that was worth finding out from a business perspective. We've heard entrepeneurs in the past who have been made offers of more money than they asked for, but for more equity than they wanted to give up, who have said they'd rather have less money and give away less equity. The HH guy could have felt the same way.

Edited by marny

I just remembered that ezpz woman said she wanted to value her product five times higher than she did (this was towards the first part of the segment when they were talking about value). She really is in love with her product. We shall see how it goes.

I thought it was a neat idea, but some of the reviews were that the toddlers were able to peel the plate off the table. 

And her reaction is always "sorry your advanced little one figured it out". Just seems like the sort of fake compliment - "it's not us, your kid is just way too smart!" - that con artists use.

• Love 1

Thank you for pointing us to the Amazon reviews, I hadn't even thought to look there. I think it's hilarious that (at least for the "advanced" kids) the EzPz product actually makes it EASIER to make a gigantic mess by flinging the entire plate plus any spills all over the floor, all at once.

Edited by NikSac
  • Love 3

I know there seem to be a lot of businesses (usually with Millennials at the helm) that have some kind of charity aspect on the back end, but this, like the Taaluma tote bags was the one of the few were it seemed like it wasn't just tacked on in some bid to make it seem like they weren't there to alleviate guilt.

I'm not a fan of this trend. It's almost (like in the 99% probability range) always better to just give to charity on your own, and not do it as a "benefit" of buying a specific product.

It's true that they could be a great food bank donor, but they could also be a terrible one. If they just dump excess produce at local foodbanks, say "good luck guys" and call it a donation then it's not that great. Food banks really struggle to make much use of those sorts of donations.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 1

Thank you for pointing us to the Amazon reviews, I hadn't even thought to look there. I think it's hilarious that (at least for the "advanced" kids) the EzPz product actually makes it EASIER to make a gigantic mess by flinging the entire plate plus any spills all over the floor, all at once.

Also, some reviewers said it was a pain to clear up to clean because of its flexibility.

I'm going to third or fourth the "where are her pants?" question that went through my head. I mean, wear leggings or tights or something, lady.

Also, it was like she was high off her baby show in Germany and hadn't come down yet. A bunch of people at a baby show loved the product, told you how great it was, and started imagining how they could improve upon it and undercut you before you even launched.

Mr. G thinks she was just on there for the publicity.

I don't know, but she looked cray cray.

And thanks for the tip on the amazon reviews. I saw in one of the comments she said her twins were 3 and 5. How does that work? She only had 3 kids, right? Not two sets of twins.

• Love 2

And thanks for the tip on the amazon reviews. I saw in one of the comments she said her twins were 3 and 5. How does that work? She only had 3 kids, right? Not two sets of twins.

I didn't even catch that! I guess math really, really isn't her forte.

I would not want my children eating off of silicone. I got some silicone pans for Christmas and refuse to cook in them. I assume she says it is dishwasher safe but after it has been through a number of washes is it really? I believe she was on for publicity and it is working. Doesn't Shark Tank producer still get a percentage?

Edited by NoThyme

No. As a condition of coming onboard full time, Mark made them drop that requirement.

I agree with this. However, I think it should be modified that if the product receives the offer they have put forth and they reject it than they are obligated to give a percentage to the producers. I really think she was there for publicity only.

• Love 1

I agree with No Thyme in that if the presenters receive the exact offer they were looking for and reject it they should have to give up a small percentage. I wish Mark didn't have the pull to get them to eliminate the percentage as it seems like there are more and more presenters who walk away. The EZPZ lady is the most recent example. However, I think all the Sharks should thank their lucky stars that they are not working with her as I think she would drive them crazy.

• Love 2

It didn't help that there was that flip-up toilet training seat called Ez-Pee-Z that was featured earlier in the season.

Perhaps the dadtrepeneur behind that and Crazy Eyes should team up.

• Love 4

I didn't even catch that! I guess math really, really isn't her forte.

Maybe she meant her twins were 3 and her other kid was 5? I actually thought they were triplets in the video clip we saw, but I didn't really look that closely.

It didn't help that there was that flip-up toilet training seat called Ez-Pee-Z that was featured earlier in the season.

A toilet training seat is the only thing that could get away with having "Pee" or "P" in the title, but even then it's a dumb name. EZ-PZ for the plate doesn't make a lot of sense.

• Love 1

Definitely in the camp that was distracted by her clothing choice.  And bugging out eyes.  And overall sense of delusion.

I didn't get the whole idea of a breath freshener that is also used to mask odors on your hands.  Reminds me of the old Shimmer skit from SNL way, way back.

• Love 1

It was double the money but for double the equity for Robert. If the business could receive the same money for less equity, that was worth finding out from a business perspective. We've heard entrepeneurs in the past who have been made offers of more money than they asked for, but for more equity than they wanted to give up, who have said they'd rather have less money and give away less equity. The HH guy could have felt the same way.

OK. I thought it was the same equity with an extra donation to the charity. 

Barbara has always been one of my favourites until her speech to Hungry Harvest guy. But then she had to say she basically hates charity for the sake of charity and compare him to "Godsocks" (TM Bilgistic), whose business I hate. I was sorely disappointed in her. I still like her more than Lori, but that's damning with faint praise. I'm sure I'll get over it, but who knows. After seeing the story about "her" gracenlace on the last Beyond the Tank, I like those guys even less. I never understood why someone would spend so much money for socks or legwarmers with eyelet sewn on. We used to do stuff like that in high school and it cost about 33 cents to buy the eyelet and almost no time to sew it.

Anyway, I'm glad Hungry Harvest smartened up and went with Robert. It's just like Mark said. Kevin only wanted it so he could get produce for Plated and who cares about Plated BESIDES Kevin and the guys who own it? And I wish him well because I LOVE that he's in love with the charity aspect of his business. He never said he didn't want to make a profit, Barbara, FFS. I hope HH and Robert blow Grace N Lace out of the water profit-wise.

I was super surprised curly heads got a deal with anyone. Lori, once again, only restructured her deal because she wanted to beat Barbara once Barbara made a better proposal than her. I have curly CURLY hair - it was the bane of my damn existence when I was a teenager in the 70s because everyone had stick straight hair and I was so envious. Long ago, one of my hair stylists showed me the best way to have it cut and then how to blow dry if I didn't want to air dry and what products would help the process and it was MUCH LESS costly than 39.00 for a little tube of that cream and it still works to this day.

Crazy pantsless placemat lady: just UGH. Mark got out quick because he said she'd drive him crazy. She was either just there for the publicity OR she's a total and complete maroon. My bet is on the second one. She got good buzz at that Germany baby show and decided that meant how many sales she was going to reap. So obviously, she knows nothing at all about business. Also, it's not the first product I've seen like that. It's cute, but it's still not without issues because even without reading the Amazon reviews, I figured the first thing a kid would do is just pick it up by the edges and fling the whole shooting match. And the kids don't have to be "gifted" either; most children are innately clever about new ways to make more and bigger messes. I never wish any of these people ill, but I really hope something happens to wake her up before she can inflict herself on any other innocent bystander potential investors.

My least favourite pitch, and that's including crazyeyes, was the Spretz spray. Eww. It just sounded gross to me. I agree with whomever mentioned the water bottle thing; I've done that many times and I always have a tiny hand sanitizer from Bath and Body works in my pocket or in my bag and I'd much rather sanitize than just spray away the odor??? Maybe don't chain smoke when you're about to have an important meeting??? Or how could you be about to have an important meeting and NOT have a place to wash up???? Aside from that though, I did like those 3 guys, except for the sad mom story (my mom's been gone 11 years and I still miss her every single day, so my heart goes out to him) which seemed to have not much to do with the product. If my new favourite shark, Daymond, had been there, he might have made a deal with them JUST so he could work with them on future stuff, after tossing Spretz to the side.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 2